PDA

View Full Version : Do the Timberwolves make the playoffs?

Ty Fast
11-10-2018, 03:50 PM
They still have KAT and Wiggins. Do you think that is good enough?

GREATNESS ONE
11-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Nope

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-10-2018, 03:52 PM
They were lottery before Butler arrived. Playoffs and Butler are now gone. Back to the old routine I guess. Collecting paychecks.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-10-2018, 03:53 PM
LOL.

First they need to get rid of Thibs.

Then they have to develop as a "young" core again.

Rivera
11-10-2018, 03:54 PM
no i didnt have them in the playoffs this year with butler, now they got rid of their best player, not buying they are a playoff team

mngopher35
11-10-2018, 04:39 PM
LOL.

First they need to get rid of Thibs.

Then they have to develop as a "young" core again.

Yup, our biggest problem is Thibs. Has been since he took over essentially, even just a coaching standpoint we had some obvious issues that first year. He has destroyed what Flip was building.

Andrew Wiggins isn't really worth mentioning either for the op, despite Thibs love of him. Him and rose shoot the most per 36 but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be our centerpieces moving forward it just shows the type of roster Thibs was going for/mentality he has in game planning (not new, Wiggins was above Butler/Towns last year too).

I can't see us making it this year though, we just got worse and are already 4-9 like 3rd worst in west. I mean I think we can do a little better than our current pace but we just aren't good enough to bounce back and beat some of these other teams in the west. We have Kat as the centerpiece and a mix of role players essentially with some youth but nothing too special atm. We are just kinda stuck in no mans land with one bright spot to hope on but that isn't enough for the playoffs in the west.

Raps08-09 Champ
11-10-2018, 04:52 PM
Does Wolves have their pick this year?

Just let the season play out and they'll suck so badly that they'll be able to get a top pick anyway. Get RJ Barrett and let dominate with Towns as his sidekick.

Swift Game
11-10-2018, 04:53 PM
They may be out this year. Denver playing well this year and I expect the Lakers in the playoffs.

San Antonio is better than Minnesota right now as well. To many good teams in the west for them to overcome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ewing
11-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Never seen a guy be a bigger scapegoat then Tibs in Minn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinylman
11-10-2018, 07:56 PM
36 wins...

Twolves88
11-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Never seen a guy be a bigger scapegoat then Tibs in Minn

I wish I was on the same drugs as you.

We could do pretty well with our new lineup if we actually let our team play the correct minute distribution rather then just default starters.

I'd try a bit different lineup
1. Teague- by default I guess
2. Covington
3. Okogie
4. Gibson
5. Towns
Let rose and wiggins come off the bench and shoot it up. Let towns handle the offensive load on the first unit. Maybe swap out Gibson and saric on certain matchups.

However, we all know its going to be wiggins starting which does us no good at all.

GREATNESS ONE
11-10-2018, 08:16 PM
36 wins...

Youíre being generous

More-Than-Most
11-10-2018, 08:37 PM
they will be a better team without butler because he clearly didnt want to be there and towns was a child and didnt play to his ability because of the feud. Its honestly sad... this team now is the perfect team to have around a guy like rubio if they still had him... a starting unit of rubio/towns/cov/saric/wiggins is damn good defensively

Twolves88
11-10-2018, 09:24 PM
they will be a better team without butler because he clearly didnt want to be there and towns was a child and didnt play to his ability because of the feud. Its honestly sad... this team now is the perfect team to have around a guy like rubio if they still had him... a starting unit of rubio/towns/cov/saric/wiggins is damn good defensively

If you really want to add salt to the wounds...

Rubio- Lavine- Covington-Saric-towns

Ugh what could of been.

I really want to get rid of Teague really badly... and draft another PG.

ewing
11-10-2018, 09:45 PM

Every place Rubio isnít is a prefect place for him. He has a really good fit now and he still isnít very good

FlashBolt
11-11-2018, 02:18 AM
As bad as the Cavs are, they actually won that Wiggins for Love trade. Seemed like a bad move originally but man, Cavs dodged a bullet there. Wiggins hasn't improved one bit since his rookie season. I remember he came into the league projected to be a good perimeter defender. I guess once he saw the money, he gave up.

Scoots
11-11-2018, 12:14 PM
I hope the Wolves make it, but they are going to have to have a major change in culture and some luck to get there.

Vinylman
11-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Youíre being generous

that's the kind of guy I am ...

ewing
11-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Would be a heck of a coaching job by Thibs

MILLERHIGHLIFE
11-12-2018, 11:24 AM

Hawkeye15
11-12-2018, 12:16 PM
no. They will win 36 games.

Vinylman
11-12-2018, 02:12 PM
no. They will win 36 games.

don't be stealing my prediction you johnny come lately :p

Hawkeye15
11-12-2018, 03:00 PM
don't be stealing my prediction you johnny come lately :p

oh damn haha, I posted when I came in, didn't look at a single post.

well, not shocking we think alike on this. Or most of basketball, you are just an abrasive mofo sometimes haha

Hawkeye15
11-12-2018, 03:00 PM
Would be a heck of a coaching job by Thibs

especially since he would have to learn basketball has been played differently since 2011...

Tg11
11-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Wiggins is a scrub plain and simple. Why the Wolves never got rid of him boggles my mind much less why they gave him that expensive, fat contract when clearly he isn't worth it. To think everyone was comparing Wiggins to a young LeBron James at one time when he first came into the league like when he was coming out of college I would hear the comparisons to LeBron when it came to this kid. He hasn't lived up to his potential hell he has so underperformed under that potential that it is not even funny. Like the man is in what his 4th or 5th year in the league and everyone was touting him to be a multiple time All Star. Clearly not. I don't understand why your guys' front office isn't unloading Wiggins. I would rather keep Towns and pair him up with a more reliable co-star alongside him. Wiggins is the problem not Towns.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Wiggins is a scrub plain and simple. Why the Wolves never got rid of him boggles my mind much less why they gave him that expensive, fat contract when clearly he isn't worth it. To think everyone was comparing Wiggins to a young LeBron James at one time when he first came into the league like when he was coming out of college I would hear the comparisons to LeBron when it came to this kid. He hasn't lived up to his potential hell he has so underperformed under that potential that it is not even funny. Like the man is in what his 4th or 5th year in the league and everyone was touting him to be a multiple time All Star. Clearly not. I don't understand why your guys' front office isn't unloading Wiggins. I would rather keep Towns and pair him up with a more reliable co-star alongside him. Wiggins is the problem not Towns.

because the Wolves FO is terrible? I mean why is it shocking that they extended Wiggins to stupid money? The guy sucks and the entire fan base, minus a few hopefuls, were complaining about the fact we KNEW he would get that extension. And........he did. So we get to watch him chuck 18 foot fallaways and guard nobody for the next 5 years, at star money. Its great

Tg11
11-13-2018, 11:10 AM
because the Wolves FO is terrible? I mean why is it shocking that they extended Wiggins to stupid money? The guy sucks and the entire fan base, minus a few hopefuls, were complaining about the fact we KNEW he would get that extension. And........he did. So we get to watch him chuck 18 foot fallaways and guard nobody for the next 5 years, at star money. Its great

I know so many better players who play like Wiggins but are actually better and have more talent

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 11:18 AM
I know so many better players who play like Wiggins but are actually better and have more talent

frustrating isn't a strong enough word man. He is oozing talent, he just doesn't have it.

I explain Wiggins like this- we all know great anything, have an internal fire driving them. Always needing to be the best. Well, Wiggins pilot light is as low as it can be. He is a loafer. We all know them in life. Bare minimum, yet convince themselves they work hard. That......is Andrew Wiggins.

Tg11
11-13-2018, 11:30 AM
frustrating isn't a strong enough word man. He is oozing talent, he just doesn't have it.

I explain Wiggins like this- we all know great anything, have an internal fire driving them. Always needing to be the best. Well, Wiggins pilot light is as low as it can be. He is a loafer. We all know them in life. Bare minimum, yet convince themselves they work hard. That......is Andrew Wiggins.

To think at one time they were touting him to be a superstar in this league or that he would be the face of their franchise but he clearly isn't. KAT is who they should build around and Butler even as much saw Wiggins for what he is and that is soft as a mother******

IKnowHoops
11-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Every place Rubio isnít is a prefect place for him. He has a really good fit now and he still isnít very good

Rubio proved he wasnít the answer. This team would score 15-20 points less per game if not for Rose and Teagues ability to penetrate and get easy layups. All that goes away with Rubio. And for what, to hold a team to 4 less points

Tg11
11-13-2018, 01:53 PM
Rubio proved he wasnít the answer. This team would score 15-20 points less per game if not for Rose and Teagues ability to penetrate and get easy layups. All that goes away with Rubio. And for what, to hold a team to 4 less points

Wiggins I keep saying is what is wrong with this team

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 02:53 PM

Rose has been a bright spot, even though used totally wrong. But our guards are the worst defenders in the league. THE worst. And that is squarely on Teague, Rose, and Wiggins. Tyus/Okogie are decent. But they don't play a huge amount of minutes.

Rubio isn't the answer anywhere, but he is so disrespected its crazy.

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 02:53 PM
Wiggins I keep saying is what is wrong with this team

Glen Taylor is what is wrong with the Wolves

Tg11
11-13-2018, 02:58 PM
That may be true but some of those players on the team are scrubs and Butler was right to call them out because none of them work hard

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 03:03 PM
That may be true but some of those players on the team are scrubs and Butler was right to call them out because none of them work hard

Butler wasn't right to do anything the way he did it. At some point, he went from hungry, driven player to egotistical, demanding diva who overrates himself. The guy can't stay out of his own way. If you want to have a message, cool. But don't flip and flop around it trying to cover your tracks.

Tg11
11-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Butler wasn't right to do anything the way he did it. At some point, he went from hungry, driven player to egotistical, demanding diva who overrates himself. The guy can't stay out of his own way. If you want to have a message, cool. But don't flip and flop around it trying to cover your tracks.

Butler basically wanted to motivate Towns and Wiggins or at least make them better hence why he was always riding them or trying to make them play better to their potential but that is why they failed; Butler is motivated, he is hungry and yeah he may have a big ego but it takes having those qualities to win and or lead a team. Do Wiggins or KAT have any of that dog in them?

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Butler basically wanted to motivate Towns and Wiggins or at least make them better hence why he was always riding them or trying to make them play better to their potential but that is why they failed; Butler is motivated, he is hungry and yeah he may have a big ego but it takes having those qualities to win and or lead a team. Do Wiggins or KAT have any of that dog in them?

Butler has nobody else's interest in mind but his own, please. You don't motivate by humiliating. He isn't a leader, has zero traits of a leader, and ultimately without a personality change will be a cancer in Philly as well.

He isn't hungry. He is egotistical, and delusional. He is both lucky, and unfortunate, that Thib's is our coach. His **** would have gotten him booted with anyone else, BUT, he also wouldn't have had to make a total spectacle of himself to get his way with anyone else.

Butler, is not a victim. His plight, lies on his shoulders, nobody else's.

This is right on:

The buzz on Jimmy Butler and his one-man circus has died down a bit, if only because people are tired of hearing about it. This is after he pulled a pretty ridiculous stunt in storming through practice showing up everyone in the organization, reportedly leading a team of third-stringers to a scrimmage victory over the Wolves starters while screaming "you f----- need me" at Wolves GM Scott Layden, as if reminding a team how much they need you is a logical way to get them to trade you.

Anyway, Butler has continued to make this all about him. After Derrick Rose scored 50 points and there was actually a Wolves story that didn't involve Butler, Jimmy crashed the press conference to make sure everyone saw him. Sitting on the bench in Oakland, he waved his towel along with the Warrior fans and laughed it up as the Wolves were losing in the ultimate I-don't-give-a-damn look.

Jimmy Butler does not play for the Warriors.

All the while, Butler has sat out three games and maintains that he is the one who tells the Wolves when he feels like playing and when he doesn't. Butler clearly doesn't care what he looks like here, but for what it's worth, he's looking worse every day. I keep hearing that this is how Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan led, by demanding more, by being hard on teammates. Yeah, call me when Jimmy Butler is Kobe or Mike. Dude's been past the first round of the playoffs twice in his career and suddenly he's the purveyor of all things winning basketball. The guy is making almost $19 million this season to play basketball and he doesn't feel like he should have to show up to work because he doesn't like who he works with?

Through Wednesday, the Wolves are almost five points better per 100 possessions when Butler is on the bench. Those are very deceiving numbers because Butler just flat-out doesn't care right now, but is that really upping his trade value? Butler is a really good player. He's not a great one. If he was, somebody would've ponied up for him by now. I've talked to people in the league who question the way he'll age. Is he worth a max deal when he'll be upwards of 33 years old on the back end of it with Tom Thibodeau miles on his legs?

You'd be hard pressed to find even one person who thinks Butler, even at his optimal level, can be the best player on a championship team, so you can only give up so much to get him without canceling out his value. The Heat's Josh Richardson has been thrown around a lot. I could argue Richardson will be damn near as good as Butler in a few years. Maybe better. Butler won't be in Minnesota for long, I don't think, and that will be a great day for everyone in the NBA so we can all stop talking about this guy like he's something he isn't.

Tg11
11-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Butler has nobody else's interest in mind but his own, please. You don't motivate by humiliating. He isn't a leader, has zero traits of a leader, and ultimately without a personality change will be a cancer in Philly as well.

He isn't hungry. He is egotistical, and delusional. He is both lucky, and unfortunate, that Thib's is our coach. His **** would have gotten him booted with anyone else, BUT, he also wouldn't have had to make a total spectacle of himself to get his way with anyone else.

Butler, is not a victim. His plight, lies on his shoulders, nobody else's.

Wow you really hate Butler that much never mind the fact that he led you guys to the playoffs for the first time in years

Now that he's gone Minnesota will go back to being less than relevant or at best not even a playoff team especially with KAT and Wiggins

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 03:43 PM
Wow you really hate Butler that much never mind the fact that he led you guys to the playoffs for the first time in years

Now that he's gone Minnesota will go back to being less than relevant or at best not even a playoff team especially with KAT and Wiggins

Please, read my posts all along about this. I have zero opinion of Butler, except he is drama. Very good basketball player, absolutely not worth the headache. Frankly I had a hard time watching last year, it was basically Jimmy iso ball for 40 minutes, we won some, lost some, he *****ed about minutes, *****ed about this, that, whatever else. I won't miss him.

Yeah I already know my Wolves suck. So?

mngopher35
11-13-2018, 03:47 PM

What about the issues starting in Chicago and some of that team while there? He had issues before coming to MN that couldn't have possibly been related to our young guys. Then you watch a guy set up a press conference the night before, create a media show at practice then run to the cameras to talk about it/increase the drama. Yup I am sure that is how many successful people motivate others lol and it wasn't just a douche trying to get his way.

Wiggins doesn't have that dog in him but again so much of Butlers attitude/history is unrelated to Wiggins. He can be frustrated with Wiggins (and Towns) and want out but this is more than just that. Butler has simply been acting like a spoiled diva and seems to have clearly let his success since becoming a star get into his head.

Tg11
11-13-2018, 03:49 PM
He at least made them a playoff team...he made them better but now that he's gone you guys basically go right back to sucking...best bet is tanking your season to get Zion or RJ Barrett because it is clear you guys aren't making the playoffs any time soon unless Wiggins and Towns decide not to play like scrubs or if Rose decides to lead this team because they clearly have no leadership whatsoever

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 03:52 PM
He at least made them a playoff team...he made them better but now that he's gone you guys basically go right back to sucking...best bet is tanking your season to get Zion or RJ Barrett because it is clear you guys aren't making the playoffs any time soon unless Wiggins and Towns decide not to play like scrubs or if Rose decides to lead this team because they clearly have no leadership whatsoever

He did make us better short term. But he is 1 team away from being considered a full on diva when things don't go his way. But, not our problem anymore. Go ask Chicago fans what they think of Butler.

Why do you keep repeating what we already know dude? Towns, meh. Wiggins SUCKS. We ****ing know that. Thib's, under Glen Taylor's watch, has nearly killed all the potential this team had 2 years ago.

I appreciate your insight, but you clearly haven't followed either the Wolves, or the career of Jimmy butler.

mngopher35
11-13-2018, 03:58 PM

No one said he isn't a good basketball player... Just that he has a horrible attitude and was acting like a diva during the process (and even before coming to wolves) more than anything else about him as a player. This year while playing for us his attitude clearly was an on court issue, we went 3-7 in games he played this year (2-2 without). Given this attitude he not only was an issue for the team off the court this season but even on it to start.

Wolves are not going to make the playoffs based on almost every response here including me and Hawk who are responding to you. This doesn't change anything mentioned above.

Tg11
11-13-2018, 04:04 PM
Yeah so at this point you tank and you hope to land someone like Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett but do the Wolves FO really want to go the way of rebuild again?

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Yeah so at this point you tank and you hope to land someone like Zion Williamson or RJ Barrett but do the Wolves FO really want to go the way of rebuild again?

can't rebuild when you have a zillion dollar roster haha. The problem is, we are probably a 30-40 win team, so we are essentially in purgatory moving forward. yaaaaaaaaay!

mngopher35
11-13-2018, 04:15 PM

Doubtful. Who knows though, Hawk already pointed out to you that Glenn is the big issue with the wolves. Until he is gone we pretty much just have to hope he backs into a good decision or two from time to time.

My guess is we just hover in mediocrity fighting to be around .500 after this move. We won't tank with Thibs here but we also probably won't win a ton of games with the roster he built either.

Jamiecballer
11-13-2018, 04:16 PM

Now that he's gone Minnesota will go back to being less than relevant or at best not even a playoff team especially with KAT and WigginsNothing he said was really anything more than honest observation. His basketball qualities are irrelevant to this. That's who he is or has been to this point. Of interest is what comes NEXT. Redemption of character or further confirmation.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Nothing he said was really anything more than honest observation. His basketball qualities are irrelevant to this. That's who he is or has been to this point. Of interest is what comes NEXT. Redemption of character or further confirmation.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Butler is like Terrell Owens imo. The moment his body stops letting him be effective, is the moment his phone stops ringing and he becomes unemployed. But, he will be financially loaded at that point, so maybe he can write a book or something to keep busy

"Why Doesn't Anyone Like Me?"

Tg11
11-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Doubtful. Who knows though, Hawk already pointed out to you that Glenn is the big issue with the wolves. Until he is gone we pretty much just have to hope he backs into a good decision or two from time to time.

My guess is we just hover in mediocrity fighting to be around .500 after this move. We won't tank with Thibs here but we also probably won't win a ton of games with the roster he built either.

If y'all hover in as an 8th seed then that makes sense but if anything y'all should have traded to get the Lakers young pieces with Ingram, Ball and KCP or Kuzma y'all could have built a young core with those guys plus Towns and Wiggins it could have made for an intriguing deal...but that would mean sending Butler to the Lakers which is what y'all should have done

mngopher35
11-13-2018, 04:50 PM
If y'all hover in as an 8th seed then that makes sense but if anything y'all should have traded to get the Lakers young pieces with Ingram, Ball and KCP or Kuzma y'all could have built a young core with those guys plus Towns and Wiggins it could have made for an intriguing deal...but that would mean sending Butler to the Lakers which is what y'all should have done

??? Is this just like random opinion or do you have something to back up some of this Laker stuff? I think Thibs has been an issue and could have done a lot of things different throughout his time here, including the handling of this trade. I am not really sure I think we needed to make a move with the Lakers though since I never heard much about them offering. I mean if they offered those guys sure we should have discussed more.

I am not saying it "makes sense" to hover just outside the playoffs or anything, just pointing to the reality of where we are at right now given everything that has happened. We are stuck in mediocrity with no real direction and Towns as our main piece (without much else) moving forward. We have some nice role players but limited youth, no future assets coming in (no 1st in jimmy deal), used all our cap etc. so you are right about tanking likely being a better strategy. Nothing we have done since Thibs got here has really pointed towards a long term strategy though, it has all been about short term success (even at the expense of the future).

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 04:58 PM

I don't think the Lakers had any interest in trading for Butler.

We should have traded Wiggins for literally anything 2 years ago. I could shut PSD down with the amount of crap the Wolves SHOULD have done over the years haha

Tg11
11-13-2018, 05:42 PM
I don't think the Lakers had any interest in trading for Butler.

We should have traded Wiggins for literally anything 2 years ago. I could shut PSD down with the amount of crap the Wolves SHOULD have done over the years haha

I mean you can't trade Towns now because of that super max deal but Wiggins he can be traded too right? Or because of that fat contract he can't be moved either...in any case tanking is the only option

Hawkeye15
11-13-2018, 06:02 PM
I mean you can't trade Towns now because of that super max deal but Wiggins he can be traded too right? Or because of that fat contract he can't be moved either...in any case tanking is the only option

I wouldn't trade Towns unless it was a massive haul, despite his defense not improving, the dude is a fantastic offensive player. He just needs to demonstrate if he is capable of stepping up when it matters. It's now or never.

Wiggins could probably be moved, but we would need to send out a pick for sure.

Thib's won't tank. Never.