PDA

View Full Version : How much of a leash does Mike D'Antoni get?

beasted86
10-31-2018, 09:30 PM
3 years ago Kevin McHale was canned at 4-7.

It's clear that Mike will get more than that... but how much longer? Until December? Is his job safe all season?

More-Than-Most
10-31-2018, 09:33 PM
whoever s decision it was to bring in melo should be fired.

beasted86
10-31-2018, 09:41 PM

I'd say more so whoever let Mbah A Moute leave for 1yr $4M should be fired if they knew they weren't going to keep Ariza.

Saddletramp
10-31-2018, 10:10 PM
I'd say more so whoever let Mbah A Moute leave for 1yr $4M should be fired if they knew they weren't going to keep Ariza.

I think that they tried to keep him but he wanted to go back to LAC. And the Carmelo thing is still overblown. Vet min off the bench and not using any of the exception money. If it doesnít work, no sweat in cutting him. If it ends up working, itís a steal. Hadnít worked out so far but itís still early.

As for MDíA, itíll take time to adjust with the new guys, new rules, losing Bzdelik, and injuries. This season has been frustrating so far, though.

FlashBolt
11-01-2018, 02:36 AM
I think that they tried to keep him but he wanted to go back to LAC. And the Carmelo thing is still overblown. Vet min off the bench and not using any of the exception money. If it doesnít work, no sweat in cutting him. If it ends up working, itís a steal. Hadnít worked out so far but itís still early.

As for MDíA, itíll take time to adjust with the new guys, new rules, losing Bzdelik, and injuries. This season has been frustrating so far, though.

the problem is Melo is useless when he's on the court and doesn't have the ball. no defense or ball movement. You're playing him 30 minutes per game to basically shoot shots that he's inefficient at doing relative to everyone else. Mightyboss said Ariza has overrated impact but you guys are missing more than just Ariza. The team has now tried to cater to Melo because Melo is not a system player. It was the same problem we had. We had to bench Melo deep into the season at times because he really didn't fit with anyone on the team.

MygirlhatesCod
11-01-2018, 02:43 AM
Hahahahaha

FlashBolt
11-01-2018, 02:46 AM

i agree. He looks cheap and affordable but that was the same mistake we made when we thought getting rid of Kanter would solve our problem. Retrospectively, I think we would have been MUCH better had we kept Kanter. As bad as he was defensively, he never created system problems or took poor shots. Getting Melo doesn't mean you get another player, it means you change your entire team style wise.

Saddletramp
11-01-2018, 04:21 AM
i agree. He looks cheap and affordable but that was the same mistake we made when we thought getting rid of Kanter would solve our problem. Retrospectively, I think we would have been MUCH better had we kept Kanter. As bad as he was defensively, he never created system problems or took poor shots. Getting Melo doesn't mean you get another player, it means you change your entire team style wise.

Except with the Thunder, he wasnít cheap and affordable. It cost you the same goddamn guy youíre *****ing about losing.

Youíre totally right, though. Carmelo is the reason they suck so far this year. Letís fire DíAntoni, Morey and force out Fertitta. And trade Harden and Paul since they were clamoring for it, too.

If they woulda done it tonight, we coulda called it the Halloween Night Massacre since we were still in ****ing October.

beasted86
11-01-2018, 04:37 AM

Agree on Anthony. Low risk. But you at the same time don't change the entire dynamic of your team. James Ennis does not equal Ariza or Mbah a Moute. He's never been that good a shooter nor as good defensively as either guy.

You make it priority one to trade Rhino instead for Demarre Carroll or Kent Bazemore or Wilson Chandler or Marvin Williams or some passable 3&D combo forward rather than Brandon Knight. Or you attempt to go after Lance Stephenson or other defensive wings in free agency. Idiots deserve this and could have seen it coming.

FlashBolt
11-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Except with the Thunder, he wasnít cheap and affordable. It cost you the same goddamn guy youíre *****ing about losing.

Youíre totally right, though. Carmelo is the reason they suck so far this year. Letís fire DíAntoni, Morey and force out Fertitta. And trade Harden and Paul since they were clamoring for it, too.

If they woulda done it tonight, we coulda called it the Halloween Night Massacre since we were still in ****ing October.

lol, don't get salty. I never said Melo was the reason but he's a large part. I also never said Melo was cheap in terms of financially for us. I said relative to Kanter, many believed Melo was a cheap and good option considering Kanter's contract was tough to get rid of.

Saddletramp
11-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Agree on Anthony. Low risk. But you at the same time don't change the entire dynamic of your team. James Ennis does not equal Ariza or Mbah a Moute. He's never been that good a shooter nor as good defensively as either guy.

You make it priority one to trade Rhino instead for Demarre Carroll or Kent Bazemore or Wilson Chandler or Marvin Williams or some passable 3&D combo forward rather than Brandon Knight. Or you attempt to go after Lance Stephenson or other defensive wings in free agency. Idiots deserve this and could have seen it coming.

Canít make Ariza stay and there was no way Morey was going to pay him $15 million. Ariza knows he might not get another contract like the 4 year, $32 million he just came off of so he took the one year payday and I guess will sign a multi year cheaper deal next year with a contender. I dunno. Also, they were kinda hogtied by the cap after Harden, Paul and Capela. Ennis has been hurt but he hasnít shown much so far. I think heís still struggling with the freedom of movement rule.

Morey tried (from what I gather) to get Bazemore or another similar target whoís name escapes me right now but I think ATL and the other team wanted too much in return. Knight/Chriss might not have been the best return, but it didnít cost them a pick and a $14 million contract is easier to move than Andersonís, regardless of who it is. Plus, Chriss still has potential, although the Rockets turned down his QO to make him an UFA at years end so I guess theyíve seen all they need.

I donít think Stephenson wouldíve turned down Lebron and the Lakers for the same money.

They had to change things up and took some chances. Hasnít worked out so far but again, itís early.

Saddletramp
11-01-2018, 03:18 PM
lol, don't get salty. I never said Melo was the reason but he's a large part. I also never said Melo was cheap in terms of financially for us. I said relative to Kanter, many believed Melo was a cheap and good option considering Kanter's contract was tough to get rid of.

Iíd say injuries and working in new guys are the larger part. Heís not playing this much because theyíre trying to cater to him, their playing him this much because half of their roster is either out injured or a rookie.

IndyRealist
11-01-2018, 03:29 PM

The problem isn't Melo's money, it's his playing time and predictably poor play. This summer I said he was -10 wins compared to Ariza. Looks like he's giving that to you all up front. He's too old of a player to miraculously become good on a new team.

JAZZNC
11-01-2018, 03:55 PM
That's the thing that some people don't understand. It's not the money that's the problem, its giving him playing time and just generally having him on the team. He's not going to accept not getting minutes so he will play and if he's playing it's a negative. I also see a common statement that "its early" but when has a team been this bad to start the season turn into a legit contender? In all likelihood, they had their only shot last year and couldn't capitalize.

FlashBolt
11-01-2018, 10:02 PM
Iíd say injuries and working in new guys are the larger part. Heís not playing this much because theyíre trying to cater to him, their playing him this much because half of their roster is either out injured or a rookie.

and if you think melo will accept a lesser role and be of any use to you guys, you will be disappointed. Like I said, we had him last year and it was terrible to watch whenever he was on the court. Hopefully you guys figure things out so you can challenge the Warriors again but losing two wings who could play defense and can shoot for an inefficient volume scorer who plays no defense and won't hustle doesn't really help a team in this day and age.

FlashBolt
11-01-2018, 10:03 PM
That's the thing that some people don't understand. It's not the money that's the problem, its giving him playing time and just generally having him on the team. He's not going to accept not getting minutes so he will play and if he's playing it's a negative. I also see a common statement that "its early" but when has a team been this bad to start the season turn into a legit contender? In all likelihood, they had their only shot last year and couldn't capitalize.

why do you think they're trying to get Jimmy B? I think somewhat they've come to accept that they have to win now and that it's not progressing the way they would like.

Saddletramp
11-01-2018, 11:13 PM
Jesus guys, heís getting this many minutes right now because of injuries. Heís been terrible and probably wonít get much better. If he keeps up the ****** play and becomes a distraction, itís an easy cut. But if you guys havenít noticed, heís not the only guy thatís sucked so far this year on the Rockets.

mightybosstone
11-02-2018, 07:23 AM
Honestly, I'm kind of punting on this team until after the holidays for the sake of my own sanity. I was wrong. The additions made in the offseason were bad ones, but I honestly think the loss of Bzdelik has hurt the team as much as anything.

But let me clear up one thing that everyone in this thread seems to be missing: this is not Melo's fault. The entire team has been a dumpster fire. Gordon has been truly next level terrible. Capela looks like he stopped caring about defense and wanted to focus on his post "moves" the second he got paid. Paul has been bad since coming back from the suspension. And I have no words for how atrocious the defense had been.

The only positives are Tucker and Green, because at least they seem to give a **** while on the floor. And Harden was actually playing pretty damn well before the hammy started bothering him, aside from some classic Harden lackadaisical defense.

Honestly, it's not worth it to watch this team when they're as awful as they are now. Morey has got to crunch the data and figure out where he screwed up ASAP, or this season will end up being a complete bust.

Jamiecballer
11-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Morey wears this one

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Rivera
11-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Harden and Paul have played a grand total of 2 games together and they are 1-1. They are 0-4 when only one of those players play. I will wait until they play more to judge them

the biggest loss is what MBT said, Jeff Bzdelik right before the season. He was the defensive coordinator, could have helped the team adjust with the new personell but his sudden departure hurt this team more than I think people realize

I havent seen enough games but I trust MBT when he said Capella doesnt seem like he cares anymore which is concerning

but I will say, Winning cures all ills. If they continue to slide once CP3/Harder are playing together consistently then its going to be very alarming

kdspurman
11-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Honestly, I'm kind of punting on this team until after the holidays for the sake of my own sanity. I was wrong. The additions made in the offseason were bad ones, but I honestly think the loss of Bzdelik has hurt the team as much as anything.

But let me clear up one thing that everyone in this thread seems to be missing: this is not Melo's fault. The entire team has been a dumpster fire. Gordon has been truly next level terrible. Capela looks like he stopped caring about defense and wanted to focus on his post "moves" the second he got paid. Paul has been bad since coming back from the suspension. And I have no words for how atrocious the defense had been.

The only positives are Tucker and Green, because at least they seem to give a **** while on the floor. And Harden was actually playing pretty damn well before the hammy started bothering him, aside from some classic Harden lackadaisical defense.

Honestly, it's not worth it to watch this team when they're as awful as they are now. Morey has got to crunch the data and figure out where he screwed up ASAP, or this season will end up being a complete bust.

You think trading for Butler solves a lot of the issues?

Interesting to hear about Capela too. Thought he'd be who he was, while adding to his game.

numba1CHANGsta
11-02-2018, 12:27 PM
werenít the Rockets supposed to be the 2nd best team in the West? lmao what a trash of a team

JAZZNC
11-02-2018, 12:40 PM
why do you think they're trying to get Jimmy B? I think somewhat they've come to accept that they have to win now and that it's not progressing the way they would like.
But throwing that psychopath in with the personalities on the team and the crap defense of Harden/Melo IMO is begging for more dysfunction....I just think that's a desperation move to get another "name" on the team instead of looking at how it all meshes together.

And Jeff Bzdelik....I know he's supposed to be some kind of great defensive coach but after watching him completely ruin my favorite college basketball program I'll never be convinced he's even capable of coaching rec league basketball. That guy is a ****ing joke.

mightybosstone
11-03-2018, 08:42 AM
You think trading for Butler solves a lot of the issues?

Interesting to hear about Capela too. Thought he'd be who he was, while adding to his game.

I think Butler would fix a lot. The problem right now is too many of the players are one-way guys. So you essentially end up with a lot of lineups that can either slow down opposing teams or score in bunches, but rarely both. Having someone like Butler would make a huge difference, especially if he's replacing a lot of the minutes of Gordon, MCW and Ennis, who have all been minuses thus far this season.

LA_Raiders
11-03-2018, 01:40 PM
This is in the GM; they had a great team last year. Should have at least keep the core.

FlashBolt
11-03-2018, 02:51 PM
This is in the GM; they had a great team last year. Should have at least keep the core.

yup, my thoughts as well. One game from beating the Warriors. Should have added everyone back and made slight additions.

Saddletramp
11-03-2018, 04:09 PM
yup, my thoughts as well. One game from beating the Warriors. Should have added everyone back and made slight additions.

They lost Trevor Ariza (and Luc, but he wanted to go back to LA). And Iím sorry, but him getting that one year $15 million dollar offer wasnít doable from a money stand point. And thatís not on Morey, itís on Fertitta......which is exactly why I was wary of him buying the team in the first place.

Now, I think that $15 million mightíve hard called them or did something else crappy cap wise but I think it woulda just cost the Rockets (well, Fertitta) a lot more dough than just $15M. But Ariza apparently wanted another $50-60 million deal and thatís just crazy.

IKnowHoops
11-04-2018, 12:25 PM

Hahahahaha...crunch the data...