PDA

View Full Version : Biggest surprise of week 1?

IndyRealist
10-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Denver has the #1 rated defense (https://www.nba.com/article/2018/10/19/power-rankings-week-2). Didn't see that coming at all.

The Pelicans look like contenders with the #1 rated offense. No one saw that coming. (https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/articles/the-boxscore-geeks-2018-nba-preview-the-southwest)

What was your biggest surprises of week 1?

WaDe03
10-22-2018, 08:14 PM
One that would surprise most of you is Wade being the best defender in the league holding his opponent to the lowest FG% of any player with a minimum of 24 MPG. Itís a shame if he doesnít win DPOY this year.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-22-2018, 08:46 PM
Kevin Love would **** the bed.

More-Than-Most
10-22-2018, 09:00 PM
the cavs being 0-3 after they are suppose to be a playoff team per all the lebron haters.

More-Than-Most
10-22-2018, 09:01 PM
wades play and defense in general.

Embiids post play and lack of turnovers

Denvers defense

Houstons lack of defense

lakers lack of defense

everything anthony davis/julius randle and the other dude lol

warfelg
10-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Embiid averaging 28.3 ppg. Honestly. I though his scoring was going to dip a bit this year.

Scoots
10-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Denver has the #1 rated defense (https://www.nba.com/article/2018/10/19/power-rankings-week-2). Didn't see that coming at all.

The Pelicans look like contenders with the #1 rated offense. No one saw that coming. (https://www.boxscoregeeks.com/articles/the-boxscore-geeks-2018-nba-preview-the-southwest)

What was your biggest surprises of week 1?

I've been talking up the Pels all off-season. The Nuggets is a mystery.

Scoots
10-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Houstons lack of defense

How can Houston's lack of D be a surprise? They lost their two best wing defenders and their defensive coordinator.

More-Than-Most
10-22-2018, 10:28 PM
How can Houston's lack of D be a surprise? They lost their two best wing defenders and their defensive coordinator.

i felt by default they would be better regardless... i didnt think it actually could get worse.

WaDe03
10-22-2018, 10:32 PM
Wade is 36 going on 37 and easily the best defender in the league. This probably puts him up to top 10 all time for me. Thatís insane longevity.

TrueFan420
10-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Wade is 36 going on 37 and easily the best defender in the league. This probably puts him up to top 10 all time for me. Thatís insane longevity.

Dude just stop

TrueFan420
10-22-2018, 10:39 PM
Zack Lavine killing it.

ewing
10-22-2018, 11:00 PM

I agree. I donít see why the Pels are a surprise after how the finished last year. The got better without Cousins with Mit. I think Payton is better then Rando plus they added Randle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

archdevil84
10-22-2018, 11:21 PM
the insane amounts of scoring. out of all 40 games or something i think like 35 of them ended in something like 114-119. What happened to defense?

Cal827
10-22-2018, 11:48 PM
the insane amounts of scoring. out of all 40 games or something i think like 35 of them ended in something like 114-119. What happened to defense?

I was thinking the same thing. It's like everyone is scoring well over 100+ these days. The Raptors, who aquired Kawhi and Green, and are supposed to have a terrifying defense, have given up 100+ every game so far this season. They're giving up 107 points per game... and are 6th best in the league, (along with the 2nd best opposing field goal percentage) :laugh2:

My surprises are that Denver and Toronto are still unbeaten considering what they are (Denver in the west plus dealing with the Warriors, and Toronto playing with a Kawhi who's a little rusty). Kyle Lowry is absolutely killing it, WTF is wrong with Kevin Love, and OKC being winless.

WaDe03
10-23-2018, 12:00 AM
Dude just stop

Iím just stating the facts brother.

WaDe03
10-23-2018, 12:40 AM
Iíll also say Rodney Mcgruder. Heís been great on both ends and is good at literally everything.

zn23
10-23-2018, 01:04 AM
Definitely the Pelicans. I thought they'd be the 5-6th seed in the West again. Good team, but not great.

However, they look like the 2nd best team in the West and might end up challenging GS. I know it's only two games, but I think they've gotten better whereas the Rockets have gotten worse. They added Randle and Payton. Two really good pickups in the offseason.

Mirotic is a great compliment to AD. They still have Jrue Holiday, who's solid.

The only concern is their depth. At this point, they might only be like 6 deep.

The Nuggets defense has also impressed me. I doubt they'll keep this up, but if they can go from 26th in defensive efficiency last year, to say 16th this year, that'll be a welcoming improvement.

sacgiants1213
10-23-2018, 01:39 AM
Kings won a game.

Scoots
10-23-2018, 02:08 AM
Kings won a game.

Hawks won a game!

ewing
10-23-2018, 07:45 AM
The Knicks defense. Now Iím not hopeful that they can maintain this effort over 82 games and they gave up 70 in first half last night but I love the commitment to pressuring the ball and effort guys have put out so far.

tp13baby
10-23-2018, 08:15 AM

They realize without a defense we canít make the playoffs.

1.Ingrams lack of growth. Not being a number 2 option and being an idiot to get suspended.

2. The Clippers. I thought they were solid but would be overmatched in the west. They contained Denver offensively, dominated OKC and beat the Rockets.

3. Jokics defense primarily in pick and roll situations.

IndyRealist
10-23-2018, 08:53 AM
and OKC being winless.

1. Andre Roberson missed 3 games
2. Westbrook missed 2 games
3. Dennis Schroeder played

I'd say it's not very surprising they're 0-3.

TheDish87
10-23-2018, 09:20 AM
wades play and defense in general.

Embiids post play and lack of turnovers

Denvers defense

Houstons lack of defense

lakers lack of defense

everything anthony davis/julius randle and the other dude lol

wait, youre surprised with the lakers lack of defense? thatys like the least surprising thing of the season so far.

RowBTrice
10-23-2018, 09:51 AM
lebron being 0-3. Thought he was good.

valade16
10-23-2018, 01:27 PM

And some of the scores have been truly insane.

143-142 in OT
140-136
149-129

It's been crazy.

In 48 games thus far, 3 times a team has scored less than 90 and 4 times a team has scored 140 or more. 12 times a team scored less than 100 and 11 times teams have scored over 130.

These are boxscores not seen since the 80's.

Mr.B
10-23-2018, 02:55 PM
Zack Lavine killing it.

I agree with this one. Lavine is ballin like a mad man! They lost to my Mavs last night but Lavine was pretty much unstoppable.

R. Johnson#3
10-23-2018, 05:03 PM
DeAndre Jordan shooting 90% from the FT line.

Mr.B
10-23-2018, 09:36 PM

Also a big surprise. Also his willingness to take a leadership role on a mostly young Mavs team has been kind of a surprise as well.

ewing
10-23-2018, 09:38 PM

That is surprising

buckalis
10-24-2018, 01:30 PM
Definitely the Pelicans. I thought they'd be the 5-6th seed in the West again. Good team, but not great.

However, they look like the 2nd best team in the West and might end up challenging GS. I know it's only two games, but I think they've gotten better whereas the Rockets have gotten worse. They added Randle and Payton. Two really good pickups in the offseason.

Mirotic is a great compliment to AD. They still have Jrue Holiday, who's solid.

The only concern is their depth. At this point, they might only be like 6 deep.

The Nuggets defense has also impressed me. I doubt they'll keep this up, but if they can go from 26th in defensive efficiency last year, to say 16th this year, that'll be a welcoming improvement.

Mirotic.... all your answers in one name

ewing
10-24-2018, 04:34 PM
Mirotic.... all your answers in one name

that dude is criminally underrated

buckalis
10-24-2018, 05:54 PM
that dude is criminally underrated Criminally underrated is the exact words one should use for both Mirotic and Voucevic...

Scoots
10-24-2018, 06:41 PM
Criminally underrated is the exact words one should use for both Mirotic and Voucevic...

And Joe Ingles.

And Brook Lopez is better than most people think.

Chronz
10-24-2018, 06:51 PM
Criminally underrated is the exact words one should use for both Mirotic and Voucevic...

Mirotic or kevin love?

buckalis
10-24-2018, 06:54 PM
With Brook Lopez, it's a matter of team chemistry and coaching to have him succesfully adapted in a winning roster... the man is the best long shooting center in the league... If a coach has Giannis collecting 16rebs a game, then Brook makes a great supplement.

buckalis
10-24-2018, 06:59 PM
Depends on the rest of the roster. Mirotic if I have AD or GIannis, Lowe if I have Lebron... Voucevic over Love in any case though...

IndyRealist
10-24-2018, 07:55 PM
http://www.nba.com/article/2018/10/24/nba-scoring-across-league

Through the first eight full days of this season - obviously, a small sample size - NBA teams are averaging 113.4 points per game, the highest rate in 49 years. Teams are averaging 91 field-goal attempts per game, up five shots from last season, and the league is on an early pace to set records for 3-pointers made and attempted for the seventh straight year.

ewing
10-24-2018, 08:33 PM
And Joe Ingles.

And Brook Lopez is better than most people think.

Iím a big Ingles fan. I think Grayson Allen is going to get there too.

ewing
10-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Mirotic or kevin love?

Love. Mirotic is only just getting his chance to make a case for himself

Vinylman
10-25-2018, 09:25 AM
How has ben simmons not even attempted a 3 in 5 games? He has had to have had open looks... Will he just not shoot it? I only bring this up because I heard a guy talking about it on the radio this AM.

TheDish87
10-25-2018, 01:41 PM
hes not just gonna change who he is in one season. hes shown enough willingness for mid range shots and thats fine for now. No one has been able to stop him from getting to the rim so why settle for a 3 when you struggle there?

Chronz
10-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Blake and the spurs defense

Rivera
10-26-2018, 02:28 PM
hes not just gonna change who he is in one season. hes shown enough willingness for mid range shots and thats fine for now. No one has been able to stop him from getting to the rim so why settle for a 3 when you struggle there?

i have explained many times why. confidence and playoffs. its going to be easier again for teams to gameplan around Bens lack of shooting. I am dying for the 76ers to do to Simmons what they did to Fultz. Up 20, go jack up nothing but jumpshots in game and gain confidence in taking the open J when its there. Its going to open the lane and open the floor for Ben and his teammates. its going to be harder for teams to gameplan against the 76ers and it will take Ben to a top 10 player in the league once he unlocks his jumper

the scary part is Ben could still be a top 10 by the end of the season without his jumper, just imagine how good he can be with one

right now Ben is 1-5 outside of 12 feet. and that 1 was a floater, not a traditional jump shot lol

IndyRealist
10-26-2018, 03:01 PM
Blake and the spurs defense

I was curious why detroit was undefeated, and it seems to solely be Blake Griffin. Drummond isn't even playing that well. Chalk it up to small sample sizes, because 65% 3pt shooting is unsustainable.

buckalis
10-26-2018, 06:45 PM
I was curious why detroit was undefeated, and it seems to solely be Blake Griffin. Drummond isn't even playing that well. Chalk it up to small sample sizes, because 65% 3pt shooting is unsustainable.
Detroit is undefeted, because (like with the Bucks) have hired one of the few better coaches in the world, that can take the most out of his roster playing modern basketball tactics... throw Griffin into the Sixers roster and he will score less than half... Throw Simmons or Embiid into the Pistons roster and they'll score more than double...

COOLbeans
10-26-2018, 09:00 PM
Steph Curry top 3 MVP vote getter when he stays healthy

blams
10-26-2018, 11:34 PM
that dude is criminally underratedHe's only been good since being in New Orleans. No time to be underrated yet. Most of his career he's been bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ewing
10-26-2018, 11:37 PM
He's only been good since being in New Orleans. No time to be underrated yet. Most of his career he's been bad.

Well you seem to be proving my point

buckalis
10-27-2018, 08:48 AM
1. Henson scoring 3s...

2. The Bucks metamorphosis from a "create for Giannis" to a "Giannis creates for the others" (real) team.

IndyRealist
10-27-2018, 09:19 AM
Detroit is undefeted, because (like with the Bucks) have hired one of the few better coaches in the world, that can take the most out of his roster playing modern basketball tactics... throw Griffin into the Sixers roster and he will score less than half... Throw Simmons or Embiid into the Pistons roster and they'll score more than double...

So you think this is because of the coaching change which just made Blake Griffin into the best 3pt shooter of all time? You really need to look at the sample size.

Vinylman
10-27-2018, 09:26 AM

this is his third season away from college and the reason you have to have that shot in your arsenal is to open the inside up more for embiid

Vinylman
10-27-2018, 09:27 AM
i have explained many times why. confidence and playoffs. its going to be easier again for teams to gameplan around Bens lack of shooting. I am dying for the 76ers to do to Simmons what they did to Fultz. Up 20, go jack up nothing but jumpshots in game and gain confidence in taking the open J when its there. Its going to open the lane and open the floor for Ben and his teammates. its going to be harder for teams to gameplan against the 76ers and it will take Ben to a top 10 player in the league once he unlocks his jumper

the scary part is Ben could still be a top 10 by the end of the season without his jumper, just imagine how good he can be with one

right now Ben is 1-5 outside of 12 feet. and that 1 was a floater, not a traditional jump shot lol

this

buckalis
10-27-2018, 09:35 AM
So you think this is because of the coaching change which just made Blake Griffin into the best 3pt shooter of all time? You really need to look at the sample size.

Yes... exactly like with the Bucks, the Pistons now have a TOP coach that knows how and applies the right tactics as to create open shots...

buckalis
10-27-2018, 09:41 AM
Yes... exactly like with the Bucks, the Pistons now have a TOP coach that knows how and applies the right tactics as to create open shots...

EDIT: Just look at the Pistons and Bucks assist figures... It should tell you the whole story...

smith&wesson
10-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Didnít understand why Houston would let go of guys like Ariza and Beverly only to replace them with Melo.

And they are surprised their defence sucks now ? They wonít be nearly as good this year imo. Which sucks because I loved watching the Rockets

Cal827
10-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Yeah, when it comes to the regular season, Casey is one of the best coaches out there. The issue with the Raptors was that we got to a point where we need a coach who's able to adapt properly in the playoffs, and unfortunately Casey wasn't able to do that (Yes, we drew Lebron 3 straight years, but the team just got worse at playing them since year one).I was hoping for a more playoff hardened coach before the start of the year (we'll see what Nurse can do in April/May/June). Maybe with stars at different positions will help him a little more, but we will see. I didn't have much doubt that Detroit would get into the playoffs.

IndyRealist
10-27-2018, 11:26 AM

https://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-sample-size-affects-the-margin-of-error/

buckalis
10-27-2018, 02:02 PM
Yeah, when it comes to the regular season, Casey is one of the best coaches out there. The issue with the Raptors was that we got to a point where we need a coach who's able to adapt properly in the playoffs, and unfortunately Casey wasn't able to do that (Yes, we drew Lebron 3 straight years, but the team just got worse at playing them since year one).I was hoping for a more playoff hardened coach before the start of the year (we'll see what Nurse can do in April/May/June). Maybe with stars at different positions will help him a little more, but we will see. I didn't have much doubt that Detroit would get into the playoffs.
IMO, Casey lost to the Cavs last season, because of coach/player/Manager Lebron was playing against him and because O.G (who was right to use) was at his rookie season... no other reason and certainly not because he is a regular season (only) coach...

WaDe03
10-27-2018, 06:07 PM
He's only been good since being in New Orleans. No time to be underrated yet. Most of his career he's been bad.

His impact has always been high, Bulls just didnít know how to use him.