PDA

View Full Version : Is the current NBA the strongest top ten ever?

FlashBolt
09-22-2018, 02:42 PM
LeBron
Durant
Curry
Kawhi
Davis
Harden
Westbrook
Embiid
Giannis
CP3

Other grear year was 2002-03

Cal827
09-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Top 10 ever since they did the lists? Or are we going back throughout times because I think there probably would be a few years in the 80s or 90s that might contend for that title.

MJ
Magic
Bird
Hakeem
Thomas
Aboul-Jabbar
M. Malone
K. Malone
Barkley
Erving
Wilkins

Among others

Chronz
09-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Davis is the best player, no doubt

GREATNESS ONE
09-22-2018, 07:06 PM
Davis is the best player, no doubt

Can I get some of what youíre smoking? :smoking:

Cal827
09-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Can I get some of what youíre smoking? :smoking:

Stop mooching and buy your own drugs! :laugh2:

WhiteShadow42
09-22-2018, 08:59 PM
The era with the original dream team was pretty good.

GREATNESS ONE
09-22-2018, 09:09 PM
Stop mooching and buy your own drugs! :laugh2:

:laugh:

buckalis
09-22-2018, 09:17 PM
The era with the original dream team was pretty good.

Absolutely... it's very hard to find a better alternative than Jordan, Pippen, Robinson, Bird, Ewing and the rest of the 1992 dream team...

The only player in todays NBA that his qualities can't be found back then is Giannis... Pippen would be the closest thing to recall, but then again, Pippen didn't have Giannis size nor his playmaking could compare with the best of PGs like the case is with Giannis...

Hawkeye15
09-22-2018, 09:45 PM
Top 10 ever since they did the lists? Or are we going back throughout times because I think there probably would be a few years in the 80s or 90s that might contend for that title.

MJ
Magic
Bird
Hakeem
Thomas
Aboul-Jabbar
M. Malone
K. Malone
Barkley
Erving
Wilkins

Among others

All in their peaks though

buckalis
09-22-2018, 09:55 PM
LeBron
Durant
Curry
Kawhi
Davis
Harden
Westbrook
Embiid
Giannis
CP3

Order is wrong... Giannis is certainly TOP-5 and most probably TOP-3... Embiid isn't top-10 yet, (maybe 12th?) and Hardin is more like 7th-8th... Kwahi is questionable this season as to include in top-10.

GREATNESS ONE
09-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Order is wrong... Giannis is certainly TOP-5 and most probably TOP-3... Embiid isn't top-10 yet, (maybe 12th?) and Hardin is more like 7th-8th... Kwahi is questionable this season as to include in top-10.

Lmfao NO.

tredigs
09-22-2018, 11:20 PM
LeBron
Durant
Curry
Kawhi
Davis
Harden
Westbrook
Embiid
Giannis
CP3

Curry over KD to smart fans. Harden over Kawhi tbd (need to see health). The rest seems fine. Concerning the question, the rest also seem fine.

GREATNESS ONE
09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Curry over KD to smart fans. Harden over Kawhi tbd (need to see health). The rest seems fine. Concerning the question, the rest also seem fine.

Lmfao No bro. Curry over KD? :laugh2:

tredigs
09-22-2018, 11:29 PM
Lmfao No bro. Curry over KD? :laugh2:

The fact that you think that is laughable cements your place. Yes buddy, and it's NOT. CLOSE. Dip into advanced stats when you have a minute to humble yourself.

GREATNESS ONE
09-22-2018, 11:31 PM
The fact that you think that is laughable cements your place. Yes buddy, and it's NOT. CLOSE. Dip into advanced stats when you have a minute to humble yourself.

Lmfao! I knew you were going to say that... predictable.

tredigs
09-22-2018, 11:33 PM
Lmfao! I knew you were going to say that... predictable.
You just KNEW you had nothing to say. That's my girl.

R. Johnson#3
09-22-2018, 11:36 PM
LeBron
Durant
Curry
Kawhi
Davis
Harden
Westbrook
Embiid
Giannis
CP3

92/93 was the strongest in my books. MJ, Hakeem, Ewing, Chuck, Malone and Stockton all in their prime. The Admiral and Dominique were the next level beneath them. There was also rookie Shaq and Alonzo.

GREATNESS ONE
09-22-2018, 11:37 PM
Lmfao youíre such a little man, itís hilarious. Keep circle jerking to lil man Curry. Still wonít be top 15 players ever, even if you win another Cheating Championship ;)

GREATNESS ONE
09-22-2018, 11:37 PM
92/93 was the strongest in my books. MJ, Hakeem, Ewing, Chuck, Malone and Stockton all in their prime. The Admiral and Dominique were the next level beneath them. There was also rookie Shaq and Alonzo.

How old are you?

Heediot
09-23-2018, 10:01 AM
Jordan
Barkley
Admiral
Malone
Stockton
Dream
Clyde
Pippen
Ewing
Shaq (Even young shaq was scary)
Payton
Kemp

somewhere around 94 give or take a year or 2.

WhiteShadow42
09-23-2018, 11:53 AM
How old are you?

Hey. Donít bother him. I came up with the same group. Diaper Dandy.

FlashBolt
09-23-2018, 11:27 PM

yeah, that year was great as well.

R. Johnson#3
09-24-2018, 05:41 AM
How old are you?

You can call me Daddy.

Hawkeye15
09-24-2018, 09:44 AM

yeah, I can agree. We have a top 10 now that is awesome, but I think the early 90s has a year better.

I just don't like reading the guys you listed in grouped with a finished Bird, a Magic on the way out, etc. It's all about star power in their peaks, and right now, we have a great top 10.

nastynice
09-24-2018, 03:53 PM

Has nothing to do with advanced stats, just gotta watch the game, a motion offense predicated on Curry's ability to space off the ball and on the ball, will beat a slowed down iso offense as we had when going thru kd

I'm guessing the other thread an off shoot of this one

nastynice
09-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Lmfao youíre such a little man, itís hilarious. Keep circle jerking to lil man Curry. Still wonít be top 15 players ever, even if you win another Cheating Championship ;)

lol, bro!! You're on the same boat as us!

Picked up lebron, put him with a bunch of high draft picks for being so ****ty for so long, plus open space for a signing next year.

Cheating Lakers?

80's Lakers cheated?

Cheaters

GREATNESS ONE
09-24-2018, 07:37 PM
Hey. Donít bother him. I came up with the same group. Diaper Dandy.

:laugh2:

GREATNESS ONE
09-24-2018, 07:38 PM
lol, bro!! You're on the same boat as us!

Picked up lebron, put him with a bunch of high draft picks for being so ****ty for so long, plus open space for a signing next year.

Cheating Lakers?

80's Lakers cheated?

Cheaters

16 > 3 ?

GREATNESS ONE
09-24-2018, 07:38 PM
You can call me Daddy.

Iím older..... so call me Pappi

GREATNESS ONE
09-24-2018, 07:40 PM
You just KNEW you had nothing to say. That's my girl.

Your **** is so weak little man. Would love to sit at a bar with your bumpy gums and find out what happens lil guy, so tough behind a keyboard. I see you gumming away at people all the time. Big bark little doggy, Lmfao. You know what, youíre in. Buckalanus mode for me, bah Felicia

nastynice
09-24-2018, 08:48 PM
16 > 3 ?

lol, uh huh, so you guys are the bigger cheaters

You cheated 16 times. We only cheated 3

GREATNESS ONE
09-24-2018, 10:07 PM
lol, uh huh, so you guys are the bigger cheaters

You cheated 16 times. We only cheated 3

Lmfao Iím not going to talk **** to you like most, because youíre a Raiders fan but címon 80% are BANDWAGON. :)

nastynice
09-24-2018, 10:11 PM
Lmfao Iím not going to talk **** to you like most, because youíre a Raiders fan but címon 80% are BANDWAGON. :)

Sure, but there's a bandwagon headed for LA too. So what's there to hate?

GREATNESS ONE
09-24-2018, 10:18 PM
Sure, but there's a bandwagon headed for LA too. So what's there to hate?

Embraced? Lmao let them come because they wonít if weíre not winning.

nastynice
09-24-2018, 10:30 PM
Embraced? Lmao let them come because they wonít if weíre not winning.

Well of course, that's what a bandwagon is

GREATNESS ONE
09-24-2018, 10:41 PM
Well of course, that's what a bandwagon is

Tell me thatís not what ďmost of your fan baseĒíis

nastynice
09-25-2018, 04:55 AM
Tell me thatís not what ďmost of your fan baseĒíis

Here in Cali, that's just our home team.

Across the country, well obviously. Isn't that the case for any back to back Champ?

EthanHarris
09-25-2018, 10:28 AM
LeBron
Durant
Curry
Kawhi
Davis
Harden
Westbrook
Embiid
Giannis
CP3

I guess that every NBA fan thinks the players in his time are the best.
But you can't really compare.
Although I also think that Lebron is THE best player in the NBA of all times.

WaDe03
09-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Embiid isnít better than Butler so whenever people put Embiid, Butler has to be one spot higher at the least.

JAZZNC
09-25-2018, 01:00 PM
Embiid isnít better than Butler so whenever people put Embiid, Butler has to be one spot higher at the least.
That's just not true especially factoring in growth for the coming season. Embiid is a better player than Jimmy.

FlashBolt
09-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Embiid's already better than Butler by virtue of his position. Butler is great but you can find players to replicate most of what he does. You won't find many able to replicate Embiid so inherently, he's a better player.

WaDe03
09-25-2018, 04:34 PM
Jimmys better offensively, arguably defensively, and impacts the game more than Embiid. Not much of a debate here honestly and even MTM being the homer he is looked at it and came to the conclusion Jimmy was better.

mightybosstone
09-25-2018, 04:55 PM
This is an easy answer for me: no.

I love the current NBA and think it's super stacked, but in the late 80s you had probably 8-10 guys all worthy of being in the top 25-30 all-time discussion playing in their primes (although maybe not peaks): Jordan, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Moses, Barkley, McHale, Stockton and Malone. That's on top of Thomas, Drexler and Ewing. I'm not counting Robinson or Pippen, who really don't hit their primes until the 90s, or Kareem, who was clearly well past his prime in the late 80s.

Then let's look at the guys worthy of that same top 25-30 all-time conversation from the mid-late 2000s: Lebron, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Wade, Dirk, KG, CP3 and Durant (toward the end of that era). That era is also pretty ridiculous.

Now let's use the same method to look at today's guys. In that group, how many are likely to crack that all-time top 25-30 conversation (don't have to be locks, just worthy of being discussed)? I'm guessing Lebron, Durant, Curry, Paul and then maybe Harden and Westbrook. Davis is just so hard to project at this point, Kawhi was a slow starter in his career and is a huge question mark right now. And Giannis and Embiid are both so young that it's hard to know how we'll view their careers 10 years from now.

This era is undeniably talented, and I'm excited for the league's future. But if the strength of an era is ultimately how many all-time greats are playing elite basketball at any given time, I kinda don't think this is the strongest era in league history.

mightybosstone
09-25-2018, 05:03 PM
Also, the thing that makes it hard to project this current era of basketball is knowing how young guys will ultimately project long-term. If we look at the two dominant eras I just mentioned (late 80s and mid-2000s), what we see is essentially two huge influxes of talent that happened to overlap at the same time.

In the late 80s, we got the tail end of guys like Bird, Magic, Moses, McHale and Thomas with the start of guys like MJ, Hakeem, Barkley, Stockton and Malone. In the mid-late 2000s, we got the end of Shaq with some of the last few great years of Kobe, Dirk, Duncan and Garnett as well as the early years of Lebron, Wade, Paul and Durant.

What young guys are just hitting their stride today who will ultimately turn into all-time great players in the next decade? Will we talk about Giannis being the next Lebron/Durant? Or Embiid being the return of the dominant center? Or Davis being this otherwordly talent who finally saw postseason success later in his career? Or will those guys all ultimately flame out, and we'll look back at this era 10 years from now and go "meh?"

YAALREADYKNO
09-25-2018, 08:09 PM
Early-Mid 00s for me especially with those defensive rules sheesh!

GREATNESS ONE
09-25-2018, 08:16 PM
Here in Cali, that's just our home team.

Across the country, well obviously. Isn't that the case for any back to back Champ?

I actually get along with most Bay Area fans because RAAAAAIIIIDDEREERRRSSSS!!!!