PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Players

Cal827
09-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Hey people, just seeing if we can get a list of players who this forum thinks don't get as much respect as they should. Who do you guys think are underrated?

I'll start with one:

Khris Middleton. Puts up pretty good stat line (20-4-5) on good shooting splits (3s were a little low this season), hits 3s pretty well, decent advanced stats... was on an absolute tear vs Boston this year in the playoffs. I think there's a good chance they'll recognize his talent (realize that Giannis does have help in Milwaukee) and he'll make an all-star team seeing that Lebron is gone, Porzingis probably won't get enough games in to be eligible, and Horford/Lowry probably won't be there again this year (though might have Kawhi as competition, and possibly Hayward)

GREATNESS ONE
09-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Brandon Ingram

FlashBolt
09-02-2018, 10:42 PM
If KM is as good as his stats look, I'm a bit surprised they were so low in the standings with a top 10 player in Giannis. Something is wrong there systematically. I really like Giannis and defend him when I can but for him to have enough help on his team, enough talent, and enough experience so far, I am disappointed in how the Bucks are not a top four team in the East. It seems to me Giannis can get his but he's not shown that he has been able to get his teammates involved and create the type of atmosphere where the Bucks are looked at as a team more than Giannis and that is partially Giannis's fault. Really, he's got a very good team but I'm not sure how they are only winning 44 games in what was an Eastern Conferece where with Cavs having that many changes and Boston losing Hayward plus Wizards being a mess, I don't see why Bucks couldn't have done more.

cmellofan15
09-02-2018, 11:03 PM
Kd

IndyRealist
09-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Jimmy Butler, apparently.

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 12:48 AM
Kd

No

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 12:48 AM

Yea that 22ppg player is super underrated

cmellofan15
09-03-2018, 12:53 AM

I donít think you understand what underrated is. Maybe another thread would be more suitable for you.

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 01:52 AM
I donít think you understand what underrated is. Maybe another thread would be more suitable for you.

Maybe another forum?

More-Than-Most
09-03-2018, 02:34 AM

Who underrates him? He is a top 15 player. I have him better than PG13 and kyrie... I did see someone trying to argue him over embiid which is hilarious to say the least.

mrblisterdundee
09-03-2018, 03:48 AM
Derrick Favors seems underrated to me. He hasn't been the healthiest, and he's not a great fit with Gobert, but Favors could be a great working man's Horford for a team in need of a center.

mightybosstone
09-03-2018, 09:13 AM
There are a few "do everything" type point guards who jump out to me for this list: Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic and Jrue Holiday. They don't put up gaudy scoring numbers, and they often get overshadowed by the bigger scoring threats on their team, but they just do everything well on the court and are so integral to the success of their teams. Lowry maybe isn't that underrated anymore, but I do think he often got overshadowed by Demar DeRozan the last couple of seasons.

In previous years, Al Horford would have been one of the first names to come to mind, but I think last season was the perfect showcase for his skillset, and he got the credit he deserved leading that young team as far into the playoffs as they went.

My homer pick for this is PJ Tucker. I was always a fan of his because I loved him at UT, but even I underestimated the impact he would have on the Rockets when they signed him last summer. The guy just always has an impact when he's on the floor. He hustles his *** off, there isn't a position he doesn't defend well and he finds ways to step up and make big plays in big moments.

IndyRealist
09-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Who underrates him? He is a top 15 player. I have him better than PG13 and kyrie... I did see someone trying to argue him over embiid which is hilarious to say the least.

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?939103-Butler-considering-Lakers-in-2019&p=32516771#post32516771

Chronz
09-03-2018, 11:59 AM
https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?939103-Butler-considering-Lakers-in-2019&p=32516771#post32516771
Thought you would go in a different direction the.
Where would 22ppg rank anyways?

Jamiecballer
09-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Lowry. Number 1 underrated player in the league IMO.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 12:57 PM

so underrated he makes 30+m a year...

cmellofan15
09-03-2018, 01:27 PM
Maybe another forum?

No dont leave. Iíll take it back.

But around here both KD and Butler are underrated. And i think that people posting in this thread are judging how a player is underrated on how people rate them on this forum.

Butler because of that thread the other week where people decided he was washed up, Durant because people think him being a ***** somehow takes him out of the top 3

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 01:34 PM

But around here both KD and Butler are underrated. And i think that people posting in this thread are judging how a player is underrated on how people rate them on this forum.

Butler because of that thread the other week where people decided he was washed up, Durant because people think him being a ***** somehow takes him out of the top 3

:love: you really mean it?

ewing
09-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Properly rated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamiecballer
09-03-2018, 01:56 PM
so underrated he makes 30+m a year...That's 2 comments in a row that make it obvious you have no idea what underrated actually means.

Jamiecballer
09-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Properly rated

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOverrated is about perception so I will respectfully disagree on that one.

FlashBolt
09-03-2018, 02:26 PM
That's 2 comments in a row that make it obvious you have no idea what underrated actually means.

Used properly with Lowry, IMO. If Lowry is getting paid $30 million a year, that means some teams are valuing him highly.

Chronz
09-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Agreed. Him being a ***** doesn't take him out of the top 3

Jamiecballer
09-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Used properly with Lowry, IMO. If Lowry is getting paid $30 million a year, that means some teams are valuing him highly.Lowry got 30 million because the team could not possibly let him walk. DeRozan, exact same. Local fan pressure is not an adequate proxy for perceived "good-ness" league wide.

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 02:45 PM
That's 2 comments in a row that make it obvious you have no idea what underrated actually means.

Heís obviously getting paid like heís underrated. Maybe, you donít really understand the question?

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Used properly with Lowry, IMO. If Lowry is getting paid $30 million a year, that means some teams are valuing him highly.

Thank You, Good sir.

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Agreed. Him being a ***** doesn't take him out of the top 3

Agreed on both accounts

warfelg
09-03-2018, 02:53 PM
All underrated team:
Mike Connley - People comment on his contract but take that a way and he's a quality PG.
Jrue Holiday - I dunno if you classify him as a PG or SG, but he can play either and play it well.
Otto Porter Jr. - He's up and down and like Connley his contract makes him underrated, but he's a good player.
Dario Saric - Hardcore underrated mostly because of Embiid and Simmons. Every year he's slightly better than the last.
Al Horford - Plays like the 50 Y/O in your rec league. Looks like he can't do anything then just rips your heard out.

beasted86
09-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Devin Booker

Good scoring guard that's spoken of solely as an empty stats chucker who is a sieve on defense by so many haters. For me I don't see any real difference between him and Bradley Beal. Matter of fact by 25 he'll be better.

Andre Drummond

I just wonder how great this guy can really be if you put an elite PG next to him and legitimate shooters. He could be the best Center with space to operate and guys to get him the ball in finishing position. He's a throwback Center who still fits.

Heediot
09-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Lowry got 30 million because the team could not possibly let him walk. DeRozan, exact same. Local fan pressure is not an adequate proxy for perceived "good-ness" league wide.

Derozan would have got his IMO. Dye to being in his prime and teams had cap when he was a FA.

Lowry was in a tighter market but in most markets someone would pay him due to how the league cba is structured.

I think he's a fraud and gets exposed in the playoffs (Lowry). He's crafty/smart enough to exploit regular season defenses and reffing. Playing with KL will help him though in post April though.

JAZZNC
09-03-2018, 04:44 PM
I think Joe Ingles is underrated. He's not a scorer but he is a dead eye shooter, solid passer, good defender, and leaves it all out on the court. But most people just see unathletic white guy and that's it. Every team would be better with a Joe Ingles on their team.

On the Lowry subject, I don't think guys like him and Butler are underrated. They are max (or soon to be max) players. You're not underrated if you're getting paid like that. And each of those guys has major warts, Lowry completely ***** his pants in the playoffs and Butler always seems to have locker room issues. I feel like they are appropriately rated players.

FlashBolt
09-03-2018, 04:49 PM
I think Joe Ingles is underrated. He's not a scorer but he is a dead eye shooter, solid passer, good defender, and leaves it all out on the court. But most people just see unathletic white guy and that's it. Every team would be better with a Joe Ingles on their team.

On the Lowry subject, I don't think guys like him and Butler are underrated. They are max (or soon to be max) players. You're not underrated if you're getting paid like that. And each of those guys has major warts, Lowry completely ***** his pants in the playoffs and Butler always seems to have locker room issues. I feel like they are appropriately rated players.

Yup. On that Lowry discussion, it's tough to not say he isn't overrated because the guy gets paid to basically shrivel up in the playoffs. I don't like to use money as the measurement here but if he was paid $15 million, we'd be saying he was underpaid and likely, underrated. Dude's getting double that.

IndyRealist
09-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Devin Booker

Good scoring guard that's spoken of solely as an empty stats chucker who is a sieve on defense by so many haters. For me I don't see any real difference between him and Bradley Beal. Matter of fact by 25 he'll be better.

Andre Drummond

I just wonder how great this guy can really be if you put an elite PG next to him and legitimate shooters. He could be the best Center with space to operate and guys to get him the ball in finishing position. He's a throwback Center who still fits.

Steals, turnovers, fouls, 2pt FG%. I'm not a big fan of Beal either, but he's definitely less error prone than Booker.

warfelg
09-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Steals, turnovers, fouls, 2pt FG%. I'm not a big fan of Beal either, but he's definitely less error prone than Booker.

Yea....I go the opposite on Booker. He's overrated.

ewing
09-03-2018, 06:28 PM

Agree on Ingles and I think he is better then solid at passer and better then good on D. He 3 point % was a little through roof last year., I donít think he takes a lot of pressured 3 so Iíd shy from calling him dead eye but dude is definitely an asset. I like him a lot

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Yea 30m dollars is ****ing nuts for a ďunderrated playerĒ

JAZZNC
09-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Agree on Ingles and I think he is better then solid at passer and better then good on D. He 3 point % was a little through roof last year., I donít think he takes a lot of pressured 3 so Iíd shy from calling him dead eye but dude is definitely an asset. I like him a lot

Top 5 in 3pt % the last 2 yrs. It's not a fluke. Not he's not taking crazy step back 3's or pulling up from Curry range but he hits open looks and plays within himself. There is a lot to be said for not trying to play above your limits.

beasted86
09-03-2018, 07:48 PM

Considering context of the team he plays on, and age, you're really saying there's a gap between the two talent wise?

IndyRealist
09-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Considering context of the team he plays on, and age, you're really saying there's a gap between the two talent wise?

I can't tell you if Booker will be as good as Beal in 3 years (their age difference) or on another team. Anyone who says they can is a liar. All I can tell you is what he did, in comparison to what Beal did. You said you don't see the difference between them, I pointed out the differences.

What I can tell you is that Beal is a pretty mediocre player, and Booker is currently worse than that. Even if Booker is as good as Beal, that does not make him underrated. That makes him average. 56% TS wings who don't do anything else are serviceable starters but massively overrated and overpaid.

Jamiecballer
09-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Yup. On that Lowry discussion, it's tough to not say he isn't overrated because the guy gets paid to basically shrivel up in the playoffs. I don't like to use money as the measurement here but if he was paid $15 million, we'd be saying he was underpaid and likely, underrated. Dude's getting double that.He had 2 really poor showings in back to back years but has not been as bad overall as his rep. He shot the ball really well in the other 3 years so if anything I think you guys are making my point because you might think he had Joe Johnson or Demar DeRozan type playoff numbers listening to you guys. He doesn't

ewing
09-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Top 5 in 3pt % the last 2 yrs. It's not a fluke. Not he's not taking crazy step back 3's or pulling up from Curry range but he hits open looks and plays within himself. There is a lot to be said for not trying to play above your limits.

I agree Iím just still a little hesitant to call him dead eye. I feel like people slept on him a little. I could be wrong but I expect a dip in % this year. Either way I agree 100% that he is an underrated player. I love watching Joe play

Cal827
09-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Another guy that I've thought of was Julius Randle. The man averaged 16-8 off the bench last year on some pretty good splits. Very good on the offensive side of the ball, while respectable defensive rating. He also contributed both offensively/defensively to wins (4.1 OWS, 2.6 DWS) and good box plus-minus. I know that they wanted Lebron, but I guess there was no opportunity to resign Randle too? I feel that Randle at the Centre would really help the team (though I know he's not a 3pt shooter)

Ball/Rondo
Hart/KCP/Stephenson
Ingram/Stephenson/Kuzma
Lebron/Kuzma
Randle/Mcgee

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 09:52 PM
Another guy that I've thought of was Julius Randle. The man averaged 16-8 off the bench last year on some pretty good splits. Very good on the offensive side of the ball, while respectable defensive rating. He also contributed both offensively/defensively to wins (4.1 OWS, 2.6 DWS) and good box plus-minus. I know that they wanted Lebron, but I guess there was no opportunity to resign Randle too? I feel that Randle at the Centre would really help the team (though I know he's not a 3pt shooter)

Ball/Rondo
Hart/KCP/Stephenson
Ingram/Stephenson/Kuzma
Lebron/Kuzma
Randle/Mcgee

Aaron Mintz

Cal827
09-03-2018, 09:53 PM
Also, Jazz players in general seem to be persistently underrated. Guys like Hayward/Gobert received attention years after they would have if they were in a bigger market.

Cal827
09-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Aaron Mintz

Ahh, the dreaded Agent influence :laugh2:

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Ahh, the dreaded Agent influence :laugh2:

Yep lol, When Díangelo Russell was traded, we seemed to have hurt his (Mintz) feelings. There was multiple reports of Mintz not getting along with the Lakers FO. George didnít even give us a chance and as soon as LBJ signed, Randle wanted his release (when we had the 2/18m contract) he signed with NP.

ewing
09-03-2018, 10:34 PM

Ball/Rondo
Hart/KCP/Stephenson
Ingram/Stephenson/Kuzma
Lebron/Kuzma
Randle/Mcgee

He is an explosive guy but when Iíve watched him he really over dribbles, plus he doesnít have the length you typically want from a big, and he lacks range. This is all from watching him play limited games but I feel unless he improves his shooting/ doesnít kill ball movement by over dribbling his number maybe a little inflated compared to his potential impact. Still he is a guy with some real power and quickness. I just think he really needs to tighten his game up a little

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2018, 10:46 PM
He is an explosive guy but when Iíve watched him he really over dribbles, plus he doesnít have the length you typically want from a big, and he lacks range. This is all from watching him play limited games but I feel unless he improves his shooting/ doesnít kill ball movement by over dribbling his number maybe a little inflated compared to his potential impact. Still he is a guy with some real power and quickness. I just think he really needs to tighten his game up a little

Well, coming from a guy who has seen every one of his games. His numbers arenít inflated (last year) he played excellent in a ball movement offense and is a real bully down low. He was much better with his little quirky shots this year around the basket and finished at a much better rate. Yes, his shot is still extremely suspect but Julius was strong enough to move guys and fast enough to get around them. Not sure how he will fit with AD but thatís completely a different thing.

Defensively, Julius was excellent in our switching defense, and overall was one of our better defenders last year. Being able to guard smaller/bigger guys off switched and helping our extremely young long team be one of the better defensive teams when healthy. Heís a great player but limited, weíll see what happens in NOP.

He also didnít finish the season coming off the bench role.

Bostonjorge
09-03-2018, 11:32 PM

Ingles is a defensive legend already. He took PG13 out his game in the playoffs. That was a key matchup for the Jazz to take Okc out. Every team needs a Ingles type player.