PDA

View Full Version : Lakers buyout and stretch Deng

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-02-2018, 07:30 AM
I guess I get to eat crow since Magic Johnson didn't part with any kids to move Deng.

Scoots
09-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Why would Deng give them $7.5M he can't get back?

Cal827
09-02-2018, 09:49 AM
He probably really wants a chance to play again and hates that he's basically been a guy at the end of the bench for a few years. He's made a fair bit over his career, and is getting about 30 million from this contract still. I'm sure he'll be fine :laugh2:

beasted86
09-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Maybe he just wants to try and play. If he gets two vet min contracts he gets back about $5M of that.

So he's clearly betting that he can. So if he really feels he's giving up $2.5M to be able to play it's worth it to him.

I think Houston should kick the tires with a camp invite. They need a defender. But he's probably headed to Minny.

TrueFan420
09-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Def headed to bulls

ewing
09-02-2018, 11:48 AM
Good. Iíd like to see him actually play. Seemed like he might be being benched for the tank. Can he still play at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IKnowHoops
09-02-2018, 01:47 PM
LA making things happen. Magic and Polinka doing work

cmellofan15
09-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Def headed to bulls

You mean wolves?

IKnowHoops
09-02-2018, 01:50 PM
I donít want them to get KD though. Watching KD and Lebron team up just wouldnít be that fun. And would not get me that excited during there championship run. Much rather have Kawhi. Iíd like to see that Warriors team get beat. Kawhi and AD should be the targets.

ewing
09-02-2018, 02:21 PM
I donít want them to get KD though. Watching KD and Lebron team up just wouldnít be that fun. And would not get me that excited during there championship run. Much rather have Kawhi. Iíd like to see that Warriors team get beat. Kawhi and AD should be the targets.

I agree. KD and Bron are a better fit but KL would a lot more interesting

FlashBolt
09-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Can't blame the dude for wanting to play but he's done.. He needs to be realistic and realize there is no longer a market for him to play heavy or even normal minutes.

buckalis
09-02-2018, 03:23 PM

He judges that 2.5M (the difference) annually is what he can achieve as salary...

FlashBolt
09-02-2018, 03:26 PM

Wants to play and prove himself enough to get a long term contract. He likely knows his career is done sticking with the Lakers. Might as well try and come off the bench for a team that can contend and if he can drop 10/4/3, he could still make some decent money in a long-term deal.

ewing
09-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Can't blame the dude for wanting to play but he's done.. He needs to be realistic and realize there is no longer a market for him to play heavy or even normal minutes.

Why are sure he is done? It wouldnít surprise me but I honestly donít know

buckalis
09-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Why are sure he is done? It wouldnít surprise me but I honestly donít know

He ain't "done"... All it is he gave the Lakers 7.5M because he thinks (correctly most probably) that he can make more back, but most importantly for him... Hummiliate the Lakers for trying to destroy his image... They behaved like A-holes on him and there is nothing to blame Deng for on this... Nobody's pulled a pistol on their heads as to sign him in the first place...

Jenceman
09-02-2018, 04:00 PM

Same, I donít want that dude anywhere near the Lakers, heís so tainted after these years with the Warriors. I canít blame the front office for over being up the space and Iím sure Iíd warm up to KD once him and Bron are winning championships but Iíd much prefer having Kawhi Leonard.

IKnowHoops
09-02-2018, 04:33 PM
He ain't "done"... All it is he gave the Lakers 7.5M because he thinks (correctly most probably) that he can make more back, but most importantly for him... Hummiliate the Lakers for trying to destroy his image... They behaved like A-holes on him and there is nothing to blame Deng for on this... Nobody's pulled a pistol on their heads as to sign him in the first place...

Step your game up Giannis. Your trolling has been well below entertaining. Iím waiting for you to make me laugh again. Stop being a hater and try to remember what made you great.

LaVar Ball
09-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Lol you're never gonna get the Lakers young core of Ingram/Ball/Kuza/Hart for Middleton.

Get over yoself son! Enjoy mediocrity in Milwaukee with a **** small market cheap owner!

GREATNESS ONE
09-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Step your game up Giannis. Your trolling has been well below entertaining. Iím waiting for you to make me laugh again. Stop being a hater and try to remember what made you great.

:laugh2:

buckalis
09-02-2018, 06:38 PM
Lol you're never gonna get the Lakers young core of Ingram/Ball/Kuza/Hart for Middleton.

Get over yoself son! Enjoy mediocrity in Milwaukee with a **** small market cheap owner!

Trade Middleton for any of those? Are you crazy? If you was going to "eat" Henson we could possibly have something to talk about...

Now you'll have to just get rid of them as to get what Lebron wants to have around him...

GREATNESS ONE
09-02-2018, 07:38 PM
Ingram > Middleton

buckalis
09-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Ingram > Middleton

LOL... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CNVMNjq9dg

More-Than-Most
09-02-2018, 08:28 PM

why wouldnt he? he gets free money and can try and play for another team.. if that doesnt work out he can retire and collect a check... if he is still under contract he still has to work out/travel do all the game day crap etc etc etc... If he takes the vet minimum now and it doesnt work out he is free. He still gets like 30 million more... totally worth. I am actually surprised the lakers did this... i think its dumb and they should have given up 1 young kid to get rid of him... now he is on their books until like 2022 just for a shot at a max player next year. If they get KL its worth... If they get jimmy butler its not.

More-Than-Most
09-02-2018, 08:28 PM
Ingram > Middleton

i just joined thread but of course lol. I dont think anyone would argue differently

More-Than-Most
09-02-2018, 08:30 PM
worrying about them getting KD just isnt worth worrying about... They could end up with klay though.. KD isnt capable of jumping to yet another top team because mentally he couldnt handle it.

WhiteShadow42
09-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Lakers will probably get Kawhi. Klay and KD will stay with GS. GS will probably cough up the taxes. Too used to winning. I should say if Lakers get anyone it will probably be Kawhi.

GREATNESS ONE
09-02-2018, 10:11 PM
i just joined thread but of course lol. I dont think anyone would argue differently

:hi5:

Scoots
09-02-2018, 10:58 PM
why wouldnt he? he gets free money and can try and play for another team.. if that doesnt work out he can retire and collect a check... if he is still under contract he still has to work out/travel do all the game day crap etc etc etc... If he takes the vet minimum now and it doesnt work out he is free. He still gets like 30 million more... totally worth. I am actually surprised the lakers did this... i think its dumb and they should have given up 1 young kid to get rid of him... now he is on their books until like 2022 just for a shot at a max player next year. If they get KL its worth... If they get jimmy butler its not.

So, he gives up $7.5M to not travel around the country for 2 years? That doesn't seem like that great a deal. If he signs elsewhere for the vet min he still has to travel and he doesn't get his money back.

More-Than-Most
09-02-2018, 11:04 PM
So, he gives up $7.5M to not travel around the country for 2 years? That doesn't seem like that great a deal. If he signs elsewhere for the vet min he still has to travel and he doesn't get his money back.

traveling around the country and not playing is probably terrible... he is basically being forced to stay in shape/work out/show up to team meetings and camp with no shot at playing ever. That seems mentally draining. He still makes the majority of the contract and now can get the vet minimum and not really be tied down... He couldnt retire with the lakers because he would lose the money... Now if it doesnt work out for the vet minimum or if he cant play anymore he can just retire and collect.

FlashBolt
09-02-2018, 11:08 PM

Maybe Deng truly thinks he can play well enough to get another contract to where that $7.5 million can be recuperated? We're not Deng so we can only assume but seeing the reports of him wanting to play and him being frustrated with his role, the likely scenario is he just wants a chance to play and prove he can still be useful. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Can't fault a guy for getting a nice contract for himself, things not working out from both sides, and both parties agreeing to a mutual agreement to part ways. In the Lakers defense, their current management wasn't the one who handed Deng and Mosgov a lucrative and silly contract. From Deng's perspective, you take as much as you can get under what was explained to you. Mitch probably told Deng he would be playing valuable minutes..

buckalis
09-02-2018, 11:11 PM

He just wants to play... that's all!

He wants to prove himself... If he was to retire, he would sit around and collect the 36M... Instead, he got his manager and asked him: "look around and tell me what I can get" (obviously) manager replied "around 2.5M annually" and then Luol thought...

"OK, I'm gonna play another 3 seasons and collect the 7.5M back, I prefer to play and prove myself instead of sit and do nothing"...

FlashBolt
09-02-2018, 11:22 PM
He just wants to play... that's all!

He wants to prove himself... If he was to retire, he would sit around and collect the 36M... Instead, he got his manager and asked him: "look around and tell me what I can get" (obviously) manager replied "around 2.5M annually" and then Luol thought...

"OK, I'm gonna play another 3 seasons and collect the 7.5M back, I prefer to play and prove myself instead of sit and do nothing"...

Maybe he should play for the Bucks and you can change your name to Deng94.

Scoots
09-03-2018, 12:53 AM
traveling around the country and not playing is probably terrible... he is basically being forced to stay in shape/work out/show up to team meetings and camp with no shot at playing ever. That seems mentally draining. He still makes the majority of the contract and now can get the vet minimum and not really be tied down... He couldnt retire with the lakers because he would lose the money... Now if it doesnt work out for the vet minimum or if he cant play anymore he can just retire and collect.

Yes, but the assumption is that he's going to sign with another team which means he's going to be doing the work anyhow.

Scoots
09-03-2018, 12:54 AM
Maybe Deng truly thinks he can play well enough to get another contract to where that $7.5 million can be recuperated? We're not Deng so we can only assume but seeing the reports of him wanting to play and him being frustrated with his role, the likely scenario is he just wants a chance to play and prove he can still be useful. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Can't fault a guy for getting a nice contract for himself, things not working out from both sides, and both parties agreeing to a mutual agreement to part ways. In the Lakers defense, their current management wasn't the one who handed Deng and Mosgov a lucrative and silly contract. From Deng's perspective, you take as much as you can get under what was explained to you. Mitch probably told Deng he would be playing valuable minutes..

Maybe. I think he's in for a rude awakening.

ewing
09-03-2018, 11:13 AM

He wants to play basketball

IndyRealist
09-03-2018, 11:16 AM

If he retired with the Lakers he would have gotten paid in full, no? The only reason to take a buyout is because he plans to play.

Chronz
09-03-2018, 11:38 AM
Maybe. I think he's in for a rude awakening.

Remember when Bibby gave up millions to lose with Miami? Dude was done, players are the last to realize it

Chronz
09-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Yes, but the assumption is that he's going to sign with another team which means he's going to be doing the work anyhow.
Mentally, I'd rather do the work knowing I'll play. That said, how hilarious would it be if he wound up tied to the bench in Sacramento or something. I wouldn't go running to thibs if I were him

lakerfan85
09-03-2018, 02:19 PM
I guess nobody remembers his first season in L. A. He was just awful.. He had no lift on his jumper at all..

Scoots
09-03-2018, 02:55 PM
If he retired with the Lakers he would have gotten paid in full, no? The only reason to take a buyout is because he plans to play.

Yeah, and $7.5M is a LOT to pay to (maybe) play in the NBA. If he had refused to give a discount would the Lakers really have sat on him for 2 years? We'll never know.

Vinylman
09-03-2018, 03:14 PM

He really isn't giving up much if he gets to vet min deals and moves to a low tax state... he is paying around 12% state taxes for the home games.

This is the number I had been talking about in the lakers forum for months on what it would take for them to do the buyout. I am actually surprised he agreed but I also think it is a testimony to the Lakers not wanting to use up assets to get rid of him.

buckalis
09-03-2018, 04:29 PM
Maybe he should play for the Bucks and you can change your name to Deng94.

Why should I do that?

More-Than-Most
09-04-2018, 05:33 AM

no. If he retired they dont owe him a thing right? A guaranteed contract is guaranteed if a player plays who isnt injured... You cant just get a max contract and retire and collect or a ton more players would do just that.

He now doesnt have to show up if the vet minimum doesnt work out... if he is a laker without a buyout he HAS to show up period or he gets fined and or etc. That is a big deal. Id take a 7 million loss while making 30 million plus for me to not be tied down while able to sign with another team after not playing forever with a risk of not be very good. He cant just retire now and collect if it doesnt work out.

IndyRealist
09-04-2018, 08:05 AM
no. If he retired they dont owe him a thing right? A guaranteed contract is guaranteed if a player plays who isnt injured... You cant just get a max contract and retire and collect or a ton more players would do just that.

He now doesnt have to show up if the vet minimum doesnt work out... if he is a laker without a buyout he HAS to show up period or he gets fined and or etc. That is a big deal. Id take a 7 million loss while making 30 million plus for me to not be tied down while able to sign with another team after not playing forever with a risk of not be very good. He cant just retire now and collect if it doesnt work out.

You are correct. Only if retirement is due to injury does he still get paid.

Hawkeye15
09-04-2018, 09:19 AM
He and Noah likely end up in Minnesota. Just because it would make too much sense and piss me off

FlashBolt
09-04-2018, 02:35 PM
He and Noah likely end up in Minnesota. Just because it would make too much sense and piss me off

So you're telling me Boozer and Hinrich still have a chance...?

Hawkeye15
09-04-2018, 02:55 PM
So you're telling me Boozer and Hinrich still have a chance...?

yep. Boozer's 3rd neck roll could probably play a few mins a night still. Anyone know what Asik is up to? Maybe we can sign him too

SfgiantsJD3
09-04-2018, 03:29 PM
He really isn't giving up much if he gets to vet min deals and moves to a low tax state... he is paying around 12% state taxes for the home games.

This is the number I had been talking about in the lakers forum for months on what it would take for them to do the buyout. I am actually surprised he agreed but I also think it is a testimony to the Lakers not wanting to use up assets to get rid of him.

the 12-13% is on on CA games so if he went to the Suns, (worse case example) he would still have 8 games a year in CA, otherwise probably 4

Vinylman
09-05-2018, 10:32 AM
the 12-13% is on on CA games so if he went to the Suns, (worse case example) he would still have 8 games a year in CA, otherwise probably 4

yeah... that's why I said home games... anyway, it is a pretty good savings for him.

anyway, if he played for phoenix his road games would be the same against GS and the Clippers as they are now so the only Incremental Cali games would be 2 against the Lakers yet as I said he would eliminate the 41 home games.

Hawkeye15
09-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Deng has made $136,000,000. If he can't afford to leave a few million on the table to give himself a chance to play somewhere, he needs to rethink his financial advisers.

MygirlhatesCod
09-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Deng has made $136,000,000. If he can't afford to leave a few million on the table to give himself a chance to play somewhere, he needs to rethink his financial advisers.

How TF is he supposed to feed his family with that?

Hawkeye15
09-05-2018, 02:02 PM
How TF is he supposed to feed his family with that?

maybe he can ask Sprewell for a loan to get him by

SfgiantsJD3
09-05-2018, 03:36 PM
yeah... that's why I said home games... anyway, it is a pretty good savings for him.

anyway, if he played for phoenix his road games would be the same against GS and the Clippers as they are now so the only Incremental Cali games would be 2 against the Lakers yet as I said he would eliminate the 41 home games.

Last time I looked Sacramento was still in CA

Scoots
09-05-2018, 04:37 PM

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here ... if someone plays for a team in Phoenix their home games are not in CA. They will still play some road games in CA.

buckalis
09-05-2018, 07:46 PM
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding here ... if someone plays for a team in Phoenix their home games are not in CA. They will still play some road games in CA.

SSsssssshhhhh... don't tell him that! It's rude to call one on Geography... After all Macedonia is not in Greece, but in Slavish territory and Portugal is in ...South America! Arizona is of course in... Russia!

EDIT: I also think that Kapetown is the capital of Japan and Delhi is of course in Brasil! :D

GREATNESS ONE
09-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Lonzo Ball > Eric Bledsoe

buckalis
09-05-2018, 08:43 PM

fear the deer> fear the beard> fear the beer> fear the dope... (LYFAO...)

buckalis
09-05-2018, 08:47 PM

Deng > Ingram

buckalis
09-05-2018, 09:01 PM

Deng > lebron

buckalis
09-05-2018, 09:29 PM

Randle > Ingram

Nance > Kuzma

Clarkson > Ball

buckalis
09-05-2018, 09:32 PM

Looney > McGee

buckalis
09-05-2018, 09:33 PM

Looney> Zubac

buckalis
09-05-2018, 09:34 PM

KD>>>>>Lebron

buckalis
09-05-2018, 09:36 PM

Curry >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ball + Ingram + Kuzma + Hart

Vinylman
09-07-2018, 10:41 AM

so uh .. deng didn't play those same road games in Sacto last year...

so lakers played 2 games in sacto last year... phoenix would play 2 games in sacto this year...

tax impact to deng 0

wow... I feel so much smarter for doing the math :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
09-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Wolves signed him to a 1 year deal.

god

bleedprple&gold
09-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Minnesota Timberbulls. Now they just need Noah to get released so they can add him and the whole band can be backed together.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Minnesota Timberbulls. Now they just need Noah to get released so they can add him and the whole band can be backed together.

Wasn't it reported Noah was gonna get bought out this month or next?

IKnowHoops
09-10-2018, 06:09 PM

god

😂

warfelg
09-10-2018, 06:39 PM

god

They say better to be pissed off than pissed on. Unfortunately you are both.

ewing
09-10-2018, 06:53 PM
How dare they spend 2 million on a guy that has had success with the coach before and might help them

beasted86
09-10-2018, 07:32 PM
But he's probably headed to Minny.

First to call it.

beasted86
09-10-2018, 07:36 PM
How dare they spend 2 million on a guy that has had success with the coach before and might help them

I don't think anyone is doubting he can't possibly contribute or be a good mentor/player-coach who can teach Thibs' defensive schemes.

Everyone's just laughing at the notion of Thibs rebuilding his old team in a new city.

WaDe03
09-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Wow sounds like this would hurt!

Vinylman
09-11-2018, 10:50 AM
First to call it.

wow... way to go out on a limb

Hawkeye15
09-11-2018, 10:50 AM
First to call it.

I mean, it was a forgone conclusion he was signing with Minnesota haha, I can't exactly call you Nostradamus here

FlashBolt
09-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Thibs is seriously delusional... Dude just wants to reminisce about the old times before he gets fired. I can't believe he has this much pull. What the hell makes them think these are good signings? Knicks are probably calling Minnesota Timbs. for a Noah trade.

Vinylman
09-11-2018, 11:01 AM
Thibs is seriously delusional... Dude just wants to reminisce about the old times before he gets fired. I can't believe he has this much pull. What the hell makes them think these are good signings? Knicks are probably calling Minnesota Timbs. for a Noah trade.

actually, they don't even need him to play... he is gonna be a guy who promotes the system and has that vet leadership they need.... not that the young guys will listen though lol

FlashBolt
09-11-2018, 11:06 AM
actually, they don't even need him to play... he is gonna be a guy who promotes the system and has that vet leadership they need.... not that the young guys will listen though lol

Uhm, Deng wanted to leave LAL because he wanted to play. He gave up money so he can play. Why would he sign to the Timberwolves if he's not expected to play? And why would the young guys even listen to him.. he's as charismatic and influential as a sack of potatoes. Jimmy Butler's got more experience than Deng so having Deng there to be an influence doesn't make any sense. Let's call it what it really is: Thibs knows he will be fired soon and wants a reunion to reminisce about the past.. I see no reasoning why Thibs would think this is a great idea basktetball wise.

WaDe03
09-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Deng was very, very good his last season with Miami after Bosh went down and he moved to the stretch 4. Then he went to LA to get paid and they threw him on the bench lol. Understandable though as they wanted to play the young guys.

FlashBolt
09-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Deng was very, very good his last season with Miami after Bosh went down and he moved to the stretch 4. Then he went to LA to get paid and they threw him on the bench lol. Understandable though as they wanted to play the young guys.

Not the same Lakers management. They threw him to the bench because he slows down their pace like crazy. Magic and Pelinka would have never signed Deng or Mosgov.. Mitch and Jim Buss were on drugs that season.

WaDe03
09-11-2018, 11:15 AM
Not the same Lakers management. They threw him to the bench because he slows down their pace like crazy. Magic and Pelinka would have never signed Deng or Mosgov.. Mitch and Jim Buss were on drugs that season.

Had Deng played like he did after Bosh went down in Miami in LA he wouldíve been worth it but we donít know if he could have. He may still have something left in the tank after somewhat resting these last couple years. Maybe put a lot more work in that jumper. Good replacement for bjelicia at least.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2018, 11:18 AM

The hope is Deng will tutor the younger guys in practice.

The reality is, Thib's probably starts giving him minutes because he has trust issues and it will cost wins.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2018, 11:19 AM

on paper that might be the goal. But Thib's will end up giving him minutes, unless he just sucks the floor up.

Vinylman
09-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Uhm, Deng wanted to leave LAL because he wanted to play. He gave up money so he can play. Why would he sign to the Timberwolves if he's not expected to play? And why would the young guys even listen to him.. he's as charismatic and influential as a sack of potatoes. Jimmy Butler's got more experience than Deng so having Deng there to be an influence doesn't make any sense. Let's call it what it really is: Thibs knows he will be fired soon and wants a reunion to reminisce about the past.. I see no reasoning why Thibs would think this is a great idea basktetball wise.

meh... he didn't give up much after taxes are factored in...

anyway... not worth the time debating the merit of an old and slow 4 who has trouble shooting the 3 Ö

WaDe03
09-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Iíd wait and see what he can do before judging. I refuse to believe he fell off that much over 1 summer when he went from Miami to LA. Who knows though, maybe Wade just makes his teammates that much better.

IKnowHoops
09-11-2018, 12:41 PM

I really donít see why he is getting fired. They havenít been to the payoffs in almost 20 years, then he gets there and loses to Houston in his 2nd year. Jimmy got hurt last year too.

Vinylman
09-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Iíd wait and see what he can do before judging. I refuse to believe he fell off that much over 1 summer when he went from Miami to LA. Who knows though, maybe Wade just makes his teammates that much better.

Those 50 some games he played his first year in LA are a good sample size on what to expect. Will he play better in Tibs system.. probably Is he worth a $2.4 million flyer... sure Ö is it unreasonable for people to think he is done... yep