PDA

View Full Version : Butler considering Lakers in 2019

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Bleacher report mentions Butler may consider joining Lakers in 2019 now. Does Irving follow to have his big brother LeBron back or not? hahahahahha They cant sign both Butler and Kawhi. Deng needs to be traded for that third max cap slot. Who races to LA with pen in hand to sign first Kawhi or Butler? Magic Johnson be smiling ear to ear. Best to trade for Kawhi now. Ball,Hart and Deng for Kawhi. Raptors could go full tank and trade off Lowry to Rockets for Anderson and a couple first round picks and whatever else. Trade Ibaka. Trade Val.

Eric Picnus from Bleacher report reported it. He could be throwing anything out their to get hits on their site.

IndyRealist
08-25-2018, 08:54 AM
Bleacher Report has always been trash.

jaydubb
08-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Meh

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

beasted86
08-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Butler will be considering in any team desperate enough to offer a max or near it.

He's a lower tier player who will get overpaid. Isn't worth more than $25M flat, but due to contacts like Hayward and Derozan he will want max.

GREATNESS ONE
08-25-2018, 02:28 PM
Meh

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

this

ewing
08-25-2018, 10:21 PM
Butler will be considering in any team desperate enough to offer a max or near it.

He's a lower tier player who will get overpaid. Isn't worth more than $25M flat, but due to contacts like Hayward and Derozan he will want max.

There is a tier above Butler but their ainít many guys on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beasted86
08-25-2018, 10:35 PM
There is a tier above Butler but their ainít many guys on it

Skill-wise he's probably in the 95 percentile. With 450 players, he's likely a top 23 player. But leadership-wise and injury history considered, he's not at all a max player. He will never be the best player on a team that makes the finals.

I stand by a fair deal for him caps out at $25M flat yearly. If it's backloaded he needs to start his new contract at about $22M.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Curious if Butler speaks up more about not being happy playing with Towns and Wiggins. Curious if they would trade him to the Lakers then? Thibs did coach Deng. Not sure what young kids the Wolves would want in return.

WaDe03
08-27-2018, 09:52 AM
Great for Butler and basketball if so, he is a top 10 player.

Ahriman
08-27-2018, 10:09 AM
I mean Butler is more than likely considering any team with money not named Minny or Chicago, that's kind of a clickbait article by BR

Hawkeye15
08-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Skill-wise he's probably in the 95 percentile. With 450 players, he's likely a top 23 player. But leadership-wise and injury history considered, he's not at all a max player. He will never be the best player on a team that makes the finals.

I stand by a fair deal for him caps out at $25M flat yearly. If it's backloaded he needs to start his new contract at about $22M.

so far, agreed. I say this not as a Wolves homer, but his best bet is to cash the 5 year max from the Wolves, because he isn't getting a massive payday at age 34-35.

MygirlhatesCod
08-27-2018, 12:19 PM
Great for Butler and basketball if so, he is a top 10 player.

who on this list is he better than?

Lebron
Steph
KD
Harden
AD
Kawhi
Russ
Giannis
CP3
Embiid

are you sure he is even the best player on his own team?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Yeah article is meh. Possibly click bait. But anyway its offseason and kinda slow around here. Good for discussion. I think it would be best interests for the Wolves to cash in and eat Deng and get a kid or two back for rebuild faze. Also before Lakers fans come piling in saying we can wait till next summer and get him with max cap slot.

True ya could chance it. But PG13 wasn't happy Lakers didn't trade for him and instead waited for free agency. So he changed his mind. Yeah Kawhi says LA. But also mild reports of him saying he will keep a open mind to staying with Raptors. So if Lakers miss on Kawhi and Butler then who is next in pecking order for free agency that be on LeBron's wishlist?

Vinylman
08-27-2018, 12:33 PM
Yeah article is meh. Possibly click bait. But anyway its offseason and kinda slow around here. Good for discussion. I think it would be best interests for the Wolves to cash in and eat Deng and get a kid or two back for rebuild faze. Also before Lakers fans come piling in saying we can wait till next summer and get him with max cap slot.

True ya could chance it. But PG13 wasn't happy Lakers didn't trade for him and instead waited for free agency. So he changed his mind. Yeah Kawhi says LA. But also mild reports of him saying he will keep a open mind to staying with Raptors. So if Lakers miss on Kawhi and Butler then who is next in pecking order for free agency that be on LeBron's wishlist?

bolded is false... he never said that

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2018, 12:35 PM

There was article mentioning it but I didn't click it. I was looking for trade rumors and seen it when browsing this morning.

WaDe03
08-27-2018, 12:42 PM

Lebron
Steph
KD
Harden
AD
Kawhi
Russ
Giannis
CP3
Embiid

Great question I would be happy to answer!

Heís better than Embiid, Giannis is a tough one as his teams seem to underperform. CP3 and Russ are pretty close but I probably give them the edge without looking into it too much. Heís definitely the best player on his team, thank you for this question!

MygirlhatesCod
08-27-2018, 12:42 PM

their core is very young. why would they rebuild? most franchises rebuild in the hopes of getting the young talent the wolves have on the roster.

MygirlhatesCod
08-27-2018, 12:48 PM
Great question I would be happy to answer!

Heís better than Embiid, Giannis is a tough one as his teams seem to underperform. CP3 and Russ are pretty close but I probably give them the edge without looking into it too much. Heís definitely the best player on his team, thank you for this question!

what does butler do better than embiid?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2018, 01:02 PM
their core is very young. why would they rebuild? most franchises rebuild in the hopes of getting the young talent the wolves have on the roster.

Wolves were in the rebuild faze for who knows how long. They first made the playoffs last year trading for Butler and signing Teague and Gibson and Rose. Thibs wanted to get the band back together. But maybe the band breaks apart near trade deadline? Best to get young pieces from Lakers to fit in Wolves young core. Not sure who they'd want as in Ingram,Kuzma,Hart,Ball.

Also Thibs coached Deng for so long. I cant picture LeBron riding this season out with the kids. Also he's locked in long term for the first time in a long time. I think LeBron starts playing GM chatting it up with Magic Johnson and says go get Butler now or Kawhi. Get rid of some of these kids.

WaDe03
08-27-2018, 01:04 PM
what does butler do better than embiid?

Another great question, thanks for asking it!Better scorer, more efficient, impacts winning more, both are top defenders at their position, passing, much better decision maker as I think Embiid chucks too many jumpers, much better in the clutch.

Forgot to mention Butler is also a better shooter.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-27-2018, 01:08 PM

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2018/08/23/oklahoma-city-thunder-paul-george-salty-taste-los-angeles-lakers-didnt-trade-for-him-indiana-pacers/

Vinylman
08-27-2018, 01:18 PM
https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2018/08/23/oklahoma-city-thunder-paul-george-salty-taste-los-angeles-lakers-didnt-trade-for-him-indiana-pacers/

you said he changed his mind because the Lakers didn't trade for him... the quote you show is talking about both how Indy and the Lakers handled it. The facts are clear... PG13 wanted to stay in OKC after playing there. He didn't even talk to the Lakers

The Lakers couldn't make Indy trade him to them just like KL couldn't make the Spurs trade him to the Lakers.

Anyway, you seem fixated on Deng like he is some sort of time bomb for the Lakers... even if the Lakers trade him they can't sign two more max guys without getting rid of the youth so it really isn't that big of deal. I see no way the Lakers trade for Butler at the deadline if it includes one of the young guys... they have shown time and time again they will be patient.

You seem to be the only guy in a rush to move Deng

MygirlhatesCod
08-27-2018, 01:25 PM
Another great question, thanks for asking it!Better scorer, more efficient, impacts winning more, both are top defenders at their position, passing, much better decision maker as I think Embiid chucks too many jumpers, much better in the clutch.

Forgot to mention Butler is also a better shooter.

so both are available to sign with whatever team you bandwagon to next year and you go with Butler? good for you..

WaDe03
08-27-2018, 01:27 PM
Hey friends just a thought on what I think the Lakers big 4 will be next year, hope you all enjoy!!

LeBron
Kawhi
KD
Ingram

Or

LeBron
Kawhi
Butler
Ingram

The Lakers and Celtics who are the 2 most storied franchise ever will take this perimeter player trend to the next level by playing multiple SFs who are great all around players. The Celtics will have 3 instead of 4 starting in Tatum, Brown, and Hayward.

WaDe03
08-27-2018, 01:30 PM
so both are available to sign with whatever team you bandwagon to next year and you go with Butler? good for you..

Great question! Iím confused by it though, do you have any type of counter to my reasoning that Butler is currently better? As for who I would take on my team going forward, that is a much different question than what you originally asked me as it factors in things such as age and history of health. Try harder and become better from this!

MygirlhatesCod
08-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Hey friends just a thought on what I think the Lakers big 4 will be next year, hope you all enjoy!!

LeBron
Kawhi
KD
Ingram

Or

LeBron
Kawhi
Butler
Ingram

The Lakers and Celtics who are the 2 most storied franchise ever will take this perimeter player trend to the next level by playing multiple SFs who are great all around players. The Celtics will have 3 instead of 4 starting in Tatum, Brown, and Hayward.

maybe the 5th will be Wade if he proves himself on the south bay lakers.

smith&wesson
08-27-2018, 03:04 PM

Lebron
Steph
KD
Harden
AD
Kawhi
Russ
Giannis
CP3
Embiid

Iím not saying heís top 10 but at this point I would take Butler over CP3.

WaDe03
08-27-2018, 04:45 PM
maybe the 5th will be Wade if he proves himself on the south bay lakers.

Hey, that was really funny and I hope we get to hear more of these jokes from you going forward!!!

Chronz
08-27-2018, 06:00 PM
Deng and zo for butler and jones

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-28-2018, 09:11 AM
you said he changed his mind because the Lakers didn't trade for him... the quote you show is talking about both how Indy and the Lakers handled it. The facts are clear... PG13 wanted to stay in OKC after playing there. He didn't even talk to the Lakers

The Lakers couldn't make Indy trade him to them just like KL couldn't make the Spurs trade him to the Lakers.

Anyway, you seem fixated on Deng like he is some sort of time bomb for the Lakers... even if the Lakers trade him they can't sign two more max guys without getting rid of the youth so it really isn't that big of deal. I see no way the Lakers trade for Butler at the deadline if it includes one of the young guys... they have shown time and time again they will be patient.

You seem to be the only guy in a rush to move Deng

Well Deng is a big chunk of the Lakers cap. Hes not dumped for nothing. Most teams wont want a first or two first for his two year deal. Also him stretched will be dead money. Also LeBron probably doesn't want all the kids on his team. Its pretty simple to get that third max cap slot Deng and some kids have to go. I'm sure LeBron prefers a big 3 with win now pieces. Not babysit all year. Also LeBron locked into a few years.

Doubt he wants to waste them. If it doesn't go his way it be funny if he demanded a trade. Actually shocked LeBron didn't do 1 plus one contract. But guess he wanted LA for his other things after NBA. There was another article saying PG13 was salty when Lakers didn't trade for him. Then shocked when Thunder did. That's what changed his mind. But I see a new article today saying PG13 still may consider LA at end of his career.

Vinylman
08-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Well Deng is a big chunk of the Lakers cap. Hes not dumped for nothing. Most teams wont want a first or two first for his two year deal. Also him stretched will be dead money. Also LeBron probably doesn't want all the kids on his team. Its pretty simple to get that third max cap slot Deng and some kids have to go. I'm sure LeBron prefers a big 3 with win now pieces. Not babysit all year. Also LeBron locked into a few years.

Doubt he wants to waste them. If it doesn't go his way it be funny if he demanded a trade. Actually shocked LeBron didn't do 1 plus one contract. But guess he wanted LA for his other things after NBA. There was another article saying PG13 was salty when Lakers didn't trade for him. Then shocked when Thunder did. That's what changed his mind. But I see a new article today saying PG13 still may consider LA at end of his career.

dumping deng without dumping ball AND ingram doesn't get you a third max slot. Lakers aren't doing that.

Their strategy is pretty straightforward... they are going to see how the young guys perform with LBJ and the mix of vets they have brought in. They will not panic at the deadline and give up the farm to win this year... won't happen.

The reason it won't happen is because it will be much easier to build a roster next offseason when a bunch of players are available, every team will have more cap, the usual suspects will strike out in FA and be willing to suck up bad deals, and Deng only has one year left on his deal. Right now and at the deadline would be the most expensive times to unload deng.

Lebron isn't looking at this as a one year deal... if he was he wouldn't have come to LA

Scoots
08-28-2018, 09:58 AM

Some team will take picks for the contract. The question is are the Lakers willing to trade enough to get someone to take him. My guess is he gets stretched.

Vinylman
08-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Some team will take picks for the contract. The question is are the Lakers willing to trade enough to get someone to take him. My guess is he gets stretched.

I really doubt that... he would have to take a pretty significant buyout for his final year plus he would be more useful at the 2020 trade deadline to match salaries.

Unless there is a significant opportunity to land a really good player they will just hang onto him

FlashBolt
08-28-2018, 04:02 PM
I like Jimmy Butler but I would rather have Paul George and even then, I think the Lakers have better options when free agency comes around. For one, you already have Ingram, Hart, and Kuzma. All are very solid players and two I believe can be starters on most teams. Is Jimmy Butler that much more of an improvement systematically? He's got great defense but his lack of shooting is something I really dislike in a contending team. If I am the Lakers, my biggest targets would be: KD, Kawhi, Klay. Then I would look for a quality center such as DJ, Turner, or KAT.

WaDe03
08-28-2018, 04:20 PM
I like Jimmy Butler but I would rather have Paul George and even then, I think the Lakers have better options when free agency comes around. For one, you already have Ingram, Hart, and Kuzma. All are very solid players and two I believe can be starters on most teams. Is Jimmy Butler that much more of an improvement systematically? He's got great defense but his lack of shooting is something I really dislike in a contending team. If I am the Lakers, my biggest targets would be: KD, Kawhi, Klay. Then I would look for a quality center such as DJ, Turner, or KAT.

Hey there, great post! I think they should go after 2 of KD/Kawhi/Butler to pair with LeBron and Ingram. Have a long center who can catch love and protect the paint!

Scoots
08-28-2018, 06:05 PM
I wonder about Butlers long term health. He needs to play healthy this year to be able to pick his team AND get paid.

Cal827
08-28-2018, 06:10 PM
Butler or Kawhi.... Lakers sure they want to put volatile locker room attitude with Lebron and the young guys? I mean, Butler is getting at it that the T'wolves and Bulls younger players don't work hard enough... he gonna take shots at the Lebron Laker team who' had spent a year with Lebron? He'll face clap back :laugh2:

WhiteShadow42
08-28-2018, 06:29 PM
Rather the Lakers go for Kawhi. He is a difference maker on both sides of the ball. Butler won't even help you compete with Houston or GS. Kawhi will give you a chance. Now would Lakers go for Butler as plan B option (if he wants to come here actually)? Lebron will be 116 years old year after next.

ewing
08-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Butler or Kawhi.... Lakers sure they want to put volatile locker room attitude with Lebron and the young guys? I mean, Butler is getting at it that the T'wolves and Bulls younger players don't work hard enough... he gonna take shots at the Lebron Laker team who' had spent a year with Lebron? He'll face clap back :laugh2:

IDK sounds like a good plan to me

ewing
08-28-2018, 10:34 PM
I wonder about Butlers long term health. He needs to play healthy this year to be able to pick his team AND get paid.

He plays with such intensity. If is a guy that a good see aging quicker and being effected by injury. Still want him in my corner

Scoots
08-28-2018, 11:31 PM
He plays with such intensity. If is a guy that a good see aging quicker and being effected by injury. Still want him in my corner

But do you want him for a huge amount of money?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-29-2018, 08:47 AM

Stretched is still dead money against the cap.

Cal827
08-29-2018, 08:53 AM

Depending on what happens, the Raptors might take that contract up in a Kawhi deal, if they can get stuff back as well (picks, players)

E.g. If the Raptors aren't doing that well before the deadline, they might decide to try to blow the team up a little bit ahead of time... or even if they S/T Leonard.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 09:26 AM

Butler is clearly one of those guys who clawed his way to everything he has. Which is amazing. but he also needs to understand human nature is not to work that hard. He needs to learn many of the guys in the NBA are there because they are just huge and talented, not because they eat, sleep, and drink working hard at everything. In life, we all need to accept people come from different backgrounds, have different motivations, and prioritize things differently. That is great Butler wants to work his tail off. But he needs to accept, and embrace, teammates who may not put as much into it, because their efforts are focused on other phases of life. If he doesn't learn this, any situation he goes to will become toxic at some point.

Butler wood have been a great samurai.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 09:27 AM

Agreed, and Thib's should do a better job conserving Butler. No need to grind him 36 mpg/82 games, when you know his style wears on the body to begin with.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 09:29 AM
oh the Lakers should only go after Butler if they miss on Leonard or Klay. Either of them are a better match with LeBron for sure.

WaDe03
08-29-2018, 09:33 AM
Butler is clearly one of those guys who clawed his way to everything he has. Which is amazing. but he also needs to understand human nature is not to work that hard. He needs to learn many of the guys in the NBA are there because they are just huge and talented, not because they eat, sleep, and drink working hard at everything. In life, we all need to accept people come from different backgrounds, have different motivations, and prioritize things differently. That is great Butler wants to work his tail off. But he needs to accept, and embrace, teammates who may not put as much into it, because their efforts are focused on other phases of life. If he doesn't learn this, any situation he goes to will become toxic at some point.

Surprise! Great post by a great poster!

This is easier said than done though, when youíre wired a certain way itís hard to understand why others act the way they do. Butler has that all time great work ethic so heís probably viewing them (Towns and Wiggins) as having great talent and canít understand why they wouldnít try to maximize it. In his opinion if youíre going to play why not try and be the best you can be? He wants to compete but canít if the young guys arenít trying to improve.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Surprise! Great post by a great poster!

This is easier said than done though, when youíre wired a certain way itís hard to understand why others act the way they do. Butler has that all time great work ethic so heís probably viewing them (Towns and Wiggins) as having great talent and canít understand why they wouldnít try to maximize it. In his opinion if youíre going to play why not try and be the best you can be? He wants to compete but canít if the young guys arenít trying to improve.

It's absolute easier said than done. And we have to remember, athletes generally are young men. We all know being young is awesome, but you are also learning the world.

My point is, anywhere he goes (barring taking a massive paycut to join the Warriors), he will complain about teammates not working as hard as he does. Almost nobody works as hard as he does.

He will need to learn this, or again, any situation he goes to will eventually become toxic. The reason he and Thib's get along so well, is Thib's is the same mold. Which is part of why I am not all that worried about him leaving.

ewing
08-29-2018, 09:50 AM

depends on my team. If I am the Lakers and looking to win a chip now at the end of Bron's career I absolutely consider Butler.

Vinylman
08-29-2018, 09:52 AM

wow... talk about and indictment of an entire generation...

coddling the lazy ****ers brought up through the AAU system is what has killed competitive basketball

Give me Jimmy buckets with LBJ and that young core all day long...

don't forget if he signs as a FA he can only get 4 years.

Still prefer KL though

IndyRealist
08-29-2018, 09:54 AM
I'd take Butler for max money next to Oladipo in a heartbeat.

ewing
08-29-2018, 09:54 AM
oh the Lakers should only go after Butler if they miss on Leonard or Klay. Either of them are a better match with LeBron for sure.

IDK, I would really have to do some studying as a GM before taking Klay over Jimmy. I just think Jimmy is a better ball player and his physicality next to Bron could be something special. Then you have the other hand of fit on offensive where Klay is what has always worked best with Bron. Its an interesting case but I would have to be sold on Klay.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 09:58 AM
wow... talk about and indictment of an entire generation...

coddling the lazy ****ers brought up through the AAU system is what has killed competitive basketball

Give me Jimmy buckets with LBJ and that young core all day long...

don't forget if he signs as a FA he can only get 4 years.

Still prefer KL though

adapt or disappear dude. Sucks, but it's the reality.

You are better off with KL or Klay. Butler should be option 3.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 09:59 AM
IDK, I would really have to do some studying as a GM before taking Klay over Jimmy. I just think Jimmy is a better ball player and his physicality next to Bron could be something special. Then you have the other hand of fit on offensive where Klay is what has always worked best with Bron. Its an interesting case but I would have to be sold on Klay.

Klay is a better fit for what LeBron does/needs is the point. Butler needs to pound the air out of the ball to be effective, can't shoot the long ball, and is simply a skill overlap of LeBron. We already saw that with Wade. Klay is reliable health wise, can shoot from anywhere, and is a good defender. That being said, leBron could also use a shot creator, and Klay is not that. But to me, personally, I think KL, Klay, Butler, in that order for chasing them.

WaDe03
08-29-2018, 10:05 AM
It's absolute easier said than done. And we have to remember, athletes generally are young men. We all know being young is awesome, but you are also learning the world.

My point is, anywhere he goes (barring taking a massive paycut to join the Warriors), he will complain about teammates not working as hard as he does. Almost nobody works as hard as he does.

He will need to learn this, or again, any situation he goes to will eventually become toxic. The reason he and Thib's get along so well, is Thib's is the same mold. Which is part of why I am not all that worried about him leaving.

Yea I agree with you, he should definitely tone it down some. Think heís starting to get desperate and see the clock is ticking and itís making it worse. He has to start competing for a championship very soon.

WaDe03
08-29-2018, 10:08 AM
I forgot about Klay but if Iím the Lakers I wouldnít be mad at any 1 or 2 of Klay KD Jimmy or Kawhi. Jimmyís impact on the game is huge and near the top of the league. Definitely not someone you donít want on your team.

Vinylman
08-29-2018, 10:10 AM
adapt or disappear dude. Sucks, but it's the reality.

You are better off with KL or Klay. Butler should be option 3.

I would also rather have KL but you also need to recognize that Butler really has never had a teammate he clearly wasn't better than. That would be different in LA. In addition, the Lakers young guys work very hard on their game during both the offseason and during the season... they got rid of the lazy guys and whiners since Magic got there.

DBLO - easily the laziest ****er ever
Clarkson - lazy guy who hasn't improved much from first year
Nance - good teammate but a guy who never worked on his shot which is why they let him go... basically the same player he was as a rookie
Randle - Improved a lot last year but always a whiner and another guy who didn't work on his shot which is why they didn't re-sign him

Ball/Hart/Ingram/Kuzma - Always good attitudes and working on their games and bodies...

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 10:15 AM
Yea I agree with you, he should definitely tone it down some. Think heís starting to get desperate and see the clock is ticking and itís making it worse. He has to start competing for a championship very soon.

any of these frustrated stars that feel they need to compete for a chip can always take less money, ya know? Who am I to tell someone how much is enough, but he will have made over 70 million after this year, and if he can't figure out how to live off of 100-120 million made through his career, perhaps he needs to seek different financial representation...

I have zip sympathy for stars "locked" into bad situations. I would reach into an elephant's *** all day and scoop out poop for 14 years if it gave me 120,000,000 by age 35.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 10:16 AM
I would also rather have KL but you also need to recognize that Butler really has never had a teammate he clearly wasn't better than. That would be different in LA. In addition, the Lakers young guys work very hard on their game during both the offseason and during the season... they got rid of the lazy guys and whiners since Magic got there.

DBLO - easily the laziest ****er ever
Clarkson - lazy guy who hasn't improved much from first year
Nance - good teammate but a guy who never worked on his shot which is why they let him go... basically the same player he was as a rookie
Randle - Improved a lot last year but always a whiner and another guy who didn't work on his shot which is why they didn't re-sign him

Ball/Hart/Ingram/Kuzma - Always good attitudes and working on their games and bodies...

I am simply stating who I would go after personally. Butler, unless he grows his shooting ability, will break down in his early 30s. Didn't LeBron already go through the same thing with Wade?

WaDe03
08-29-2018, 10:19 AM
any of these frustrated stars that feel they need to compete for a chip can always take less money, ya know? Who am I to tell someone how much is enough, but he will have made over 70 million after this year, and if he can't figure out how to live off of 100-120 million made through his career, perhaps he needs to seek different financial representation...

I have zip sympathy for stars "locked" into bad situations. I would reach into an elephant's *** all day and scoop out poop for 14 years if it gave me 120,000,000 by age 35.

Yea thatís a good point, I guess weíll see what he decides to do. Heís definitely a player I wouldnít be surprised to see take less.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 10:27 AM
Yea thatís a good point, I guess weíll see what he decides to do. Heís definitely a player I wouldnít be surprised to see take less.

he will need to if he leaves the Wolves. But yeah, you get my drift. A lot of guys won't make that sacrifice until later, which makes sense, but it also comes after their primes. I just never have patience for, "he wants to win!", and then he signs a max deal.

Butler is great. I hope he stays with the Wolves, but I am also realistic.

Vinylman
08-29-2018, 10:39 AM
I am simply stating who I would go after personally. Butler, unless he grows his shooting ability, will break down in his early 30s. Didn't LeBron already go through the same thing with Wade?

I hear ya but at as a Wolves fan you will be re-signing him through his year 35 season... As a FA it is only 4 years

Anyway, I think he would fit well next to Lebron and the young guys... still prefer KL and I don't see Thompson as an option so no real point in discussing him.

Hawkeye15
08-29-2018, 10:46 AM
I hear ya but at as a Wolves fan you will be re-signing him through his year 35 season... As a FA it is only 4 years

Anyway, I think he would fit well next to Lebron and the young guys... still prefer KL and I don't see Thompson as an option so no real point in discussing him.

oh dude I don't mean avoid him haha, I was only suggesting better fit in my eyes. KL clearly, he is basically a better version of Butler that can shoot the 3 and wants to be in LA. Duh you chase him first

Scoots
08-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Stretched is still dead money against the cap.

Yes, but I'm guessing that's the best they'll be able (or willing) to do if they really want to move him and don't want to give away assets to do so.

Scoots
08-29-2018, 11:26 AM
depends on my team. If I am the Lakers and looking to win a chip now at the end of Bron's career I absolutely consider Butler.

I suppose so ... but that isn't the "building for now and the future" approach they are theoretically taking.

FlashBolt
08-29-2018, 07:34 PM

I agree. Butler doesn't have the best track record for health as well. He's always got some nagging injury. Granted, he's been relied on to play heavy minutes because of Thibs and partly due to Chicago being a terrible team after the Derrick Rose/Noah $ vacuum but it's quite obvious Jimmy B doesn't have a game that ages well. And with Thibs continuing to push heavy workout load and minutes, I don't see Jimmy having a lengthy career at the top of the top. I would avoid Jimmy Butler, honestly. There are other players I think Lakers should look at that makes more sense for their team both position-wise and systematically.

ewing
08-30-2018, 12:22 AM

Your right. When he doesnít touch the ball for 5 possessions at a time and looks worse on offense withLeBron we should blame Tibs

Hawkeye15
08-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Your right. When he doesnít touch the ball for 5 possessions at a time and looks worse on offense withLeBron we should blame Tibs

not following you

WaDe03
08-30-2018, 09:49 AM
not following you

Good morning Hawkeye, hope I can help you out here!

Heís saying that when Butler gets worse after teaming up with LeBron we should blame thibs for running Butler into the ground prior to joining LeBron (as flashbolt implied) instead of blaming LeBron. This was sarcasm from ewing who is frustrated from time to time when LeBron gets no blame for anything negative that happens around him.

Hawkeye15
08-30-2018, 10:10 AM
Good morning Hawkeye, hope I can help you out here!

Heís saying that when Butler gets worse after teaming up with LeBron we should blame thibs for running Butler into the ground prior to joining LeBron (as flashbolt implied) instead of blaming LeBron. This was sarcasm from ewing who is frustrated from time to time when LeBron gets no blame for anything negative that happens around him.

well, if that is his point, I don't agree. Thib's hasn't helped Butler's longevity, but he sure as hell did help his development. Butler needs the rock in his hands, a lot. He needs to control the ball to be his most effective. So what you would get, is an ackwardness at first between the 2 (or at least from Butler). Furthermore, you want to pair shooters with James, or at least guys who CAN shoot, since he collapses the defense and finds open teammates better than anyone who has played. Butler doesn't fit this. So why take up massive cap space to sign a player with huge overlaps in skillsets? I get it if they were to miss on KL, they may take a run at Butler, but I don't think the pairing will work out as well as just adding 2 all NBA players and thinking they will just mesh and be a super duo.

The one quality that will help, is Butler can relieve LeBron of creating shot duties, and Butler can defend. However, I am not optimistic Butler will be all that great by age 33-34. Time will tell I suppose.

FlashBolt
08-30-2018, 04:44 PM
well, if that is his point, I don't agree. Thib's hasn't helped Butler's longevity, but he sure as hell did help his development. Butler needs the rock in his hands, a lot. He needs to control the ball to be his most effective. So what you would get, is an ackwardness at first between the 2 (or at least from Butler). Furthermore, you want to pair shooters with James, or at least guys who CAN shoot, since he collapses the defense and finds open teammates better than anyone who has played. Butler doesn't fit this. So why take up massive cap space to sign a player with huge overlaps in skillsets? I get it if they were to miss on KL, they may take a run at Butler, but I don't think the pairing will work out as well as just adding 2 all NBA players and thinking they will just mesh and be a super duo.

The one quality that will help, is Butler can relieve LeBron of creating shot duties, and Butler can defend. However, I am not optimistic Butler will be all that great by age 33-34. Time will tell I suppose.

Thibs gets his player to their peak ability but he shorterns their longevity. He's like the guy who has a fast head start but slow finishing touch. We've seen this happen with many players: Noah, Rose, Butler, Deng. Most players who are/were he has coached as the main coach on a team has ended up having numerous nagging injuries and have fallen off as players. It's only a matter of time before Butler, at age 30, will start seeing the effects.

Hawkeye15
08-30-2018, 05:14 PM
Thibs gets his player to their peak ability but he shorterns their longevity. He's like the guy who has a fast head start but slow finishing touch. We've seen this happen with many players: Noah, Rose, Butler, Deng. Most players who are/were he has coached as the main coach on a team has ended up having numerous nagging injuries and have fallen off as players. It's only a matter of time before Butler, at age 30, will start seeing the effects.

Thib's is explained like this. Playing 1 minute for Thib's is like playing 2 minutes for any other coach. It's like dog years. He just grinds, and grinds. Which is fine in 1992, but not today.

GREATNESS ONE
08-30-2018, 05:42 PM
in 2-3 years

Ingram > Butler

Scoots
08-30-2018, 06:10 PM
in 2-3 years

Ingram > Butler

In 2-3 years Butler may not have legs left to play on.

GREATNESS ONE
08-30-2018, 07:07 PM
In 2-3 years Butler may not have legs left to play on.

Exactly. Why give him a Max contract?

ewing
08-30-2018, 07:32 PM
After all these years with Tibs Iím surprised he is still alive

beasted86
08-30-2018, 10:08 PM
so far, agreed. I say this not as a Wolves homer, but his best bet is to cash the 5 year max from the Wolves, because he isn't getting a massive payday at age 34-35.

It is his best bet, because a max contact is a death-trap for any team he's on at that number. I expect him to decline very soon.

With all the minutes he's playing, along with his simple lack of special athleticism or shooting he will fall off. Not like Deng where the becomes a bum overnight. But more like Iguodala where he's just not what you thought you were buying.

Scoots
08-30-2018, 11:06 PM
It is his best bet, because a max contact is a death-trap for any team he's on at that number. I expect him to decline very soon.

With all the minutes he's playing, along with his simple lack of special athleticism or shooting he will fall off. Not like Deng where the becomes a bum overnight. But more like Iguodala where he's just not what you thought you were buying.

I think Iguodala is exactly what the Warriors were expecting. That said I can see some parallels to Butler.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2018, 09:34 AM

Agree 1000000000% with this post. Look, I want him to stay with the Wolves, simply because when you are a fan of a terrible team you will take what you can get (Wolves best case is 2-3rd round if all works out). But by the end of a 5 year deal, he will be almost 35, and I can't imagine he is near all NBA level at that point. Just my guess. Maybe he learns to shoot better, and he is crafty as hell, so I don't think off a cliff decline will happen. I just don't think he has many years left as a top 10-15 NBA player.

WaDe03
08-31-2018, 10:11 AM
One thing about Jimmy is that he always improves his game every year. Last year he stayed about the same but there were big changes for him in a new setting so it was to be expected. Also, itís not like heís a god awful shooter, thereís definitely plenty of time for his 3 ball to improve and being in the middle of his prime would be the best time to do it.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2018, 10:29 AM
One thing about Jimmy is that he always improves his game every year. Last year he stayed about the same but there were big changes for him in a new setting so it was to be expected. Also, itís not like heís a god awful shooter, thereís definitely plenty of time for his 3 ball to improve and being in the middle of his prime would be the best time to do it.

Thib's doesn't promote shooting though. Seriously, he is stuck in 1993. If you don't have a coach preaching the long ball, instead he wants to just iso the **** out of the shot clock and make everyone grind through each and every possession, there is no motivation to improve as a shooter.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2018, 10:30 AM
I feel like I am in here bashing Butler. The dude is a fantastic player. I personally don't think he is the ideal option next to LeBron, but honestly I don't care about Lebron or the Lakers. Hopefully Butler stays with my team, but a Butler/Towns duo clearly won't contend anytime soon, and my belief is the clock is ticking on Butler as a top player, because of his style of play, shooting limitations, and injury history. As a Wolves fan, unfortunately we need to be happy with the prospect of a perennial 50 win team and 1-2 round knockouts. At least until Taylor dies or sells the team.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-31-2018, 12:39 PM
I feel like I am in here bashing Butler. The dude is a fantastic player. I personally don't think he is the ideal option next to LeBron, but honestly I don't care about Lebron or the Lakers. Hopefully Butler stays with my team, but a Butler/Towns duo clearly won't contend anytime soon, and my belief is the clock is ticking on Butler as a top player, because of his style of play, shooting limitations, and injury history. As a Wolves fan, unfortunately we need to be happy with the prospect of a perennial 50 win team and 1-2 round knockouts. At least until Taylor dies or sells the team.

Yeah I wanted the Bucks to trade for Butler. But he doesn't really stretch the floor. Him and Giannis be a bad pairing as well possibly. Also Wolves probably would want Middleton back. Then doesn't work well when we would want to keep Middleton as well.

WaDe03
08-31-2018, 01:01 PM
Yeah I wanted the Bucks to trade for Butler. But he doesn't really stretch the floor. Him and Giannis be a bad pairing as well possibly. Also Wolves probably would want Middleton back. Then doesn't work well when we would want to keep Middleton as well.

Butler-Middleton-Giannis would be unreal.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2018, 02:03 PM

didn't we try to pry loose Middleton for Rubio? I actually think that trade would have worked for both sides.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-31-2018, 02:06 PM
Bucks also wanted your KMart then never happened. Not sure if it was Middleton or not for Rubio. I know Wolves or Thibs wanted Snell before he got the contract we gave him.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2018, 02:07 PM
Bucks also wanted your KMart then never happened. Not sure if it was Middleton or not for Rubio. I know Wolves or Thibs wanted Snell before he got the contract we gave him.

of course Thib's wanted Snell. he wants anyone he ever coached.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-31-2018, 02:11 PM
Any chance you think Butler gets traded to Lakers? Thibs coached Deng. :hide: Yes its more then Butler for Deng. Maybe Ball and Hart? Unless Ingram or Kuzma is in the deal. Could see Wolves wanting Ball. Then ya salary dump Teague to like Suns who now want a starting PG and playoffs. Magic could use Teague as well.

Hawkeye15
08-31-2018, 02:57 PM
Any chance you think Butler gets traded to Lakers? Thibs coached Deng. :hide: Yes its more then Butler for Deng. Maybe Ball and Hart? Unless Ingram or Kuzma is in the deal. Could see Wolves wanting Ball. Then ya salary dump Teague to like Suns who now want a starting PG and playoffs. Magic could use Teague as well.

Nah. Lakers would have to include Ingram for starters, and what motivation do they have to make a trade giving away their cheap (for now) young talent?

beasted86
08-31-2018, 08:02 PM
I think Iguodala is exactly what the Warriors were expecting. That said I can see some parallels to Butler.
Maybe. Can't say for sure. I don't think the plan was to pay all that for a bench player.

Butler is good but not a 1st option and shouldn't be maxed out. His leadership is the main reason beyond the other issues in my opinion, even if he stays healthy. Red flags like crazy. He doesn't make anyone better whatsoever. And he's sometimes flat cancerous in the locker room.

I expect like Iggy he'll go from the guy who you expect to not have to worry about upgrading for several years to just a guy. Like a good player but nothing special whatsoever.

Scoots
08-31-2018, 11:34 PM
Maybe. Can't say for sure. I don't think the plan was to pay all that for a bench player.

Butler is good but not a 1st option and shouldn't be maxed out. His leadership is the main reason beyond the other issues in my opinion, even if he stays healthy. Red flags like crazy. He doesn't make anyone better whatsoever. And he's sometimes flat cancerous in the locker room.

I expect like Iggy he'll go from the guy who you expect to not have to worry about upgrading for several years to just a guy. Like a good player but nothing special whatsoever.

The plan was absolutely to pay that money for a bench player for Iguodala. His knees have not been up to a full workload for years and they knew that, but they knew he could help make them a much better team.

ewing
09-02-2018, 11:51 AM
The plan was absolutely to pay that money for a bench player for Iguodala. His knees have not been up to a full workload for years and they knew that, but they knew he could help make them a much better team.

Dude always plays hard and while he doesnít create for others I donít think he limits teammates. His teams have always been pretty successful. Idk, why do you consider him a total cancer?

ewing
09-02-2018, 11:54 AM
I think you guys are being way to hard on Jimmy. I get that at 35 you donít want to be paying him a boat load but thatís true for pretty much everyone. If someone pays him I think itís with the idea that they have a window for a title and are ok with the over pay at the end of the deal.

IndyRealist
09-02-2018, 12:08 PM
I think you guys are being way to hard on Jimmy. I get that at 35 you donít want to be paying him a boat load but thatís true for pretty much everyone. If someone pays him I think itís with the idea that they have a window for a title and are ok with the over pay at the end of the deal.

^ This. Regardless of how you think he will age, he's still at the top of his game RIGHT NOW. You take two years of top level two-way play even if you have to eat two years at the end of his contract. Ideally, you pair him with someone younger in position to take over the workload as he declines so you can still get your money's worth. Like, I don't know, Victor Oladipo.

ewing
09-02-2018, 02:22 PM
Dude always plays hard and while he doesnít create for others I donít think he limits teammates. His teams have always been pretty successful. Idk, why do you consider him a total cancer?

Sorry Scoots. I quoted the wrong post. Meant to quote beasted

beasted86
09-02-2018, 05:21 PM
I just see a decline in Butler earlier than expected. I'm talking like similarly mediocre as Wiggins last year statline as early as 3 years from now when he's only 32.

He's also been plagued with teammate controversy throughout his career. Didn't get along with Rose and Noah, didn't get along with Rondo and basically every other player except Wade, doesn't get along with Wiggins and KAT.

GREATNESS ONE
09-02-2018, 10:10 PM
Ingram > Butler

FlashBolt
09-02-2018, 10:51 PM
Butler consistently misses games year over year because he works harder than everyone else. Unfortunately, he's on 30 year old legs right now playing as a 28 year old. Couple that with the fact that he's not really a good shooter and I don't see him being able to co-exist with LeBron, I don't see why he's something the Lakers should pursue. Now, if we're talking about Jimmy B and Kyrie in the Knicks or something around those lines, sure. But for the Lakers, no, it just doesn't make sense. They have Kuzma, Ingram, Hart, and Ball to develop and Jimmy B won't help the team in a way that someone like Kawhi can. The best player to pair with LeBron right now must be able to shoot, IMO. That way they can spot-up and shoot without just standing there looking silly when LeBron has the ball.

Chronz
09-03-2018, 11:56 AM

In an era with a ***** like kd, you're still judging individuals that way?

Hawkeye15
09-04-2018, 10:58 AM
^ This. Regardless of how you think he will age, he's still at the top of his game RIGHT NOW. You take two years of top level two-way play even if you have to eat two years at the end of his contract. Ideally, you pair him with someone younger in position to take over the workload as he declines so you can still get your money's worth. Like, I don't know, Victor Oladipo.

the only thing I am saying about Butler here is he isn't the ideal pairing next to LeBron for what you need to pay him. You are right, you take a top 10-12 player in his prime even if the back end of the deal sucks a little bit.

buckalis
09-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Ingram > Butler

I guess is posts like this that make me repeat the reply I gave you in the other thread (although you forgot to lmfao your fao)...

" Honestly Buddy... you have to examined by a psychiatrist... You LMFAO on anything...

-That Giannis is the best player in the East, it's not me saying, it's the whole sport press of the U.S.... of course you are entitled to an "opinion" and even your FA out of Lmfao, can fao all it wants...
-None said that DeRosan is (was) better than Kawahi... all we agreed (both in the conversation you jumped in being uninvited, only to lm your fao) is that we don't expect Leonard to contribute on the Raptors more than DeRozan did...
-Nobody claimed that OG or Siakam are better than Kwahi either... All I said is that I expect them to be much & further improved as to cause the Raptors to be significantly better... Therefore you can L your happy fao all the more you want..."

GREATNESS ONE
09-04-2018, 10:14 PM
Ingram > Giannis

buckalis
09-04-2018, 11:19 PM
Ingram > Giannis

Say this to Magic and test his reaction... I then think you will have your fao out of your lmfao...

EDIT: I guess trolls are trolls... there is nothing one can do but ban them...

GREATNESS ONE
09-04-2018, 11:37 PM
Say this to Magic and test his reaction... I then think you will have your fao out of your lmfao...

EDIT: I guess trolls are trolls... there is nothing one can do but ban them...

;)

IKnowHoops
09-05-2018, 12:46 AM
Hey there, great post! I think they should go after 2 of KD/Kawhi/Butler to pair with LeBron and Ingram. Have a long center who can catch love and protect the paint!

Iíd keep Kuzma in the fold. Build around Bron/Ingram/Kuz. Go get Kawhi...

Ball/Rondo
Ingram/KCP
Kawhi/Kuzma
Bron/Beasley
McGee/Walters

(Hart/Svi 2 1sts gone for Kawhi 😂)

Now you do this before the season starts and you roll with this and obviously assess the ditch.

Best case scenario... they end up being better than GS

Most likely scenario... they are right there with GS

Probably play it the same way...identify your untouchable young pieces thus far...trade the ones that you can part with for the final piece that separates you from the rest of the NBA...the end of all competitive balance...itís an arms race to do so.

MygirlhatesCod
09-06-2018, 12:01 PM

Ball/Rondo
Ingram/KCP
Kawhi/Kuzma
Bron/Beasley
McGee/Walters

(Hart/Svi 2 1sts gone for Kawhi ��)

Now you do this before the season starts and you roll with this and obviously assess the ditch.

Probably play it the same way...identify your untouchable young pieces thus far...trade the ones that you can part with for the final piece that separates you from the rest of the NBA...the end of all competitive balance...itís an arms race to do so.

possible only if GS starters all get murdered.

you cant logically think that lineup would be better than GS or Houston.

most importantly why would Kawhi ever get traded for nothing?

IKnowHoops
09-06-2018, 12:31 PM
possible only if GS starters all get murdered.

you cant logically think that lineup would be better than GS or Houston.

most importantly why would Kawhi ever get traded for nothing?

I do think that lineup beats GS

And Hart/Svi and two unprotected 1st are something for a guy who will leave for nothing next year for sure

WaDe03
09-06-2018, 12:38 PM

Ball/Rondo
Ingram/KCP
Kawhi/Kuzma
Bron/Beasley
McGee/Walters

Kuzma can come of the bench, they need at least 2 stars next to LeBron to beat the Warriors who have 5 top 20-25 players in the league and one of the best benches.

IKnowHoops
09-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Kuzma can come of the bench, they need at least 2 stars next to LeBron to beat the Warriors who have 5 top 20-25 players in the league and one of the best benches.

Ingram and Kuzma are budding stars. Both 6í9...

Lonzo
Ingram
Kawhi
Kuzma
Bron

Death lineup

MygirlhatesCod
09-06-2018, 01:00 PM
I do think that lineup beats GS

And Hart/Svi and two unprotected 1st are something for a guy who will leave for nothing next year for sure

You are entitled to your insane thoughts.

and if the second part is any kind of true then why is Kawhi with Toronto?

WaDe03
09-06-2018, 01:51 PM

Lonzo
Ingram
Kawhi
Kuzma
Bron

Death lineup

Not stars of that level yet though and they need it fast.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-07-2018, 04:54 PM

Ball/Rondo
Ingram/KCP
Kawhi/Kuzma
Bron/Beasley
McGee/Walters

Ball and McGee sure wont top Curry and Green.

GREATNESS ONE
09-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Ball and McGee sure wont top Curry and Green.

Wait we didnít trade Ball with Deng? Lmfao

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-10-2018, 10:46 AM
Wait we didnít trade Ball with Deng? Lmfao

No. But 3 years of dead money.

Luol Deng (stretched) $14,354,067 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $5,000,000

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary/

FlashBolt
09-10-2018, 02:03 PM

Gives Lakers enough salary for next season without trading a young player... I would say it's worth stretching him considering the guy would have been moaning on the bench about not playing all season.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-10-2018, 03:22 PM
Gives Lakers enough salary for next season without trading a young player... I would say it's worth stretching him considering the guy would have been moaning on the bench about not playing all season.

Only $38M or so. That's just barely enough for KD if he bolts for super max. Not enough for a third star which LeBron probably wants. I'm sure if Butler or Kawhi mention they plan on leaving. Deng would of been a nice salary filler. Besides a couple kids as the sweetener. Would of been a place holder for that second star.

Then let all them other expiring deals end and have that third star next summer. At least LeBron could of rolled into the season with a big 2. Even that measly $5M could of been the end of the bench money for vet minimum deals.

Even say as a example KD signs next year for that $38M. So that's SF and PF covered Which are the same positions Ingram and Kuzma play. I'm sure LeBron and KD want close to 40 minutes a game. That leaves 8 minutes left for each bench player. Probably reason why ya hear LeBron may play some small ball center to free up minutes for Kuzma.

GREATNESS ONE
09-10-2018, 08:05 PM

Lonzo
Ingram
Kawhi
Kuzma
Bron

Death lineup

shhhhhhhh let them all sleep

GREATNESS ONE
09-10-2018, 08:06 PM

wow gee i didn't know, thanks for letting me know about my team

FlashBolt
09-10-2018, 08:42 PM
Only $38M or so. That's just barely enough for KD if he bolts for super max. Not enough for a third star which LeBron probably wants. I'm sure if Butler or Kawhi mention they plan on leaving. Deng would of been a nice salary filler. Besides a couple kids as the sweetener. Would of been a place holder for that second star.

Then let all them other expiring deals end and have that third star next summer. At least LeBron could of rolled into the season with a big 2. Even that measly $5M could of been the end of the bench money for vet minimum deals.

Even say as a example KD signs next year for that $38M. So that's SF and PF covered Which are the same positions Ingram and Kuzma play. I'm sure LeBron and KD want close to 40 minutes a game. That leaves 8 minutes left for each bench player. Probably reason why ya hear LeBron may play some small ball center to free up minutes for Kuzma.
Again, they free up a spot and Deng would have been complaining to the media about playing. Way worth the $5 million.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Butler to have a meeting Monday with Wolves front office to decide his future there or if he's leaving. Maybe he can get traded to Lakers before season starts?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
09-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Actually never mind Lakers would have to wait till mid season when newly signed free agents can be traded. Rondo,Beasley,Lance,KCP cant be traded yet.

WaDe03
09-16-2018, 09:12 PM
He will request a trade to Miami tomorrow.

WaDe03
09-17-2018, 11:44 AM

Feel like a Jimmy trade is coming.