PDA

View Full Version : PSD Preseason Team Power Rankings #8

Rivera
08-20-2018, 09:38 AM
To generate more discussion, I thought it could be fun to debate and have a pre season NBA rankings before anyone hits the floor. We can look back and laugh at how wrong we were or boast about how right we were

To put some structure behind this, I want to rank the best teams in terms of title contenders. Most of PSD feels GSW will sleep walk to another title this season with the addition of DMC so I will rank them as the defacto #1 with no voting.

Who would you rank as the 2nd best team? I will leave the poll open for the weekend, and continue this every other day (minus weekends) - (M/W/F)

Who are you ranking as the 2nd best team in the NBA

(Poll: If I left out a team you feel deserves to be in the poll, please add the team below in this thread)

Lets Debate!

PSD Power Rankings:

1) Golden State Warriors
2) Houston Rockets
3) Boston Celtics
4) Toronto Raptors
5) OKC Thunder
6) Utah Jazz
7) Philadelphia 76ers

Hawkeye15
08-20-2018, 10:45 AM
With what is left, Denver.

GREATNESS ONE
08-20-2018, 10:55 AM
:laugh2:

tredigs
08-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Now we're in the crop of West teams that are bundled together. Nugs, Wolves, Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, and also Indiana somewhere in the mix.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Now we're in the crop of West teams that are bundled together. Nugs, Wolves, Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, and also Indiana somewhere in the mix.

pretty much-the teams that aren't contenders but are good.

tredigs
08-20-2018, 11:06 AM
:laugh2:

Oh, right. Delusional Laker fandom is back. And this time they even have to pretend to like LeBron. What an amazing turn :laugh:

GREATNESS ONE
08-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Riiiight. Enjoy the bandwagon. Oh Right, best fans since 90ís in their empty stadium. Yikes :laugh2:

Hawkeye15
08-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Oh, right. Delusional Laker fandom is back. And this time they even have to pretend to like LeBron. What an amazing turn :laugh:

It's my single love of LeBron's move. No team/fanbase has hated him as much as Laker fans, seemingly because they are so insecure that he passed their guy. It is going to be amazing to watch them turn (if they haven't already).

ewing
08-20-2018, 11:11 AM

You aren't putting the Pels in that mix? I know their guys don't have the best track record when it comes to health but if they can have a pretty healthy year i like that team. Curious what you think?

GREATNESS ONE
08-20-2018, 11:12 AM
WHat I donít get is if youíre the best fans since the 90ís, why is youíre Forum a Ghost town .... yikes Cheatampions 3/4 and their forum is as empty as their stadiums 90-15..... yikes.

GREATNESS ONE
08-20-2018, 11:14 AM
It's my single love of LeBron's move. No team/fanbase has hated him as much as Laker fans, seemingly because they are so insecure that he passed their guy. It is going to be amazing to watch them turn (if they haven't already).

SAys the guy who watches little to no basketball but acts like he knows basketball... yikes.. red Flag.

mightybosstone
08-20-2018, 11:17 AM
I'm actually going to go with the Lakers here, simply because I can't imagine a Lebron-led team finishing worse than 5th or 6th in any conference and I think they'll squeeze out 48-50 wins by season's end. I also just think a team with Lebron is scarier to face in the playoffs than this San Antonio team, Denver or Minnesota.

It's crazy to think how many good teams there are in the West right now, though. And the difference between the third best team and the 10th best team is so small. I could see a situation like last year where less than 3-4 wins separate that third seed from the 9th and 10th seeds. Now that the top three in the East and top four in the West are listed, you could probably just pencil in LA, Denver, San Antonio, Minnesota, Portland and New Orleans in any order you wanted to from 8-13 in these rankings. There really isn't a wrong answer at this point. But I would probably put all of those teams ahead of the next best team in the East, although you could make a decent case for Indiana somewhere in that mix.

Edit: Forgot Portland

tredigs
08-20-2018, 11:20 AM
You aren't putting the Pels in that mix? I know their guys don't have the best track record when it comes to health but if they can have a pretty healthy year i like that team. Curious what you think?

Pels definitely in that mix and on the higher end. Forgot them. I'd probably go Warriors, Rockets, Jazz, OKC, Nuggets, Pelicans, Wolves, Blazers as the playoff teams.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2018, 11:21 AM
SAys the guy who watches little to no basketball but acts like he knows basketball... yikes.. red Flag.

I don't watch a ton anymore, but I watched more than should be allowed during the years Kobe played, and the majority of LeBron's career. And that doesn't matter anyways, my point stands. Watching Laker fans squirm over having to like LeBron now is awesome. All of a sudden a guy who was the most overrated player ever will lead them to greatness. Sounds like LeBron finally got better at age 34.

tredigs
08-20-2018, 11:23 AM
I don't watch a ton anymore, but I watched more than should be allowed during the years Kobe played, and the majority of LeBron's career. And that doesn't matter anyways, my point stands. Watching Laker fans squirm over having to like LeBron now is awesome. All of a sudden a guy who was the most overrated player ever will lead them to greatness. Sounds like LeBron finally got better at age 34.

It's going to be the best running joke of the next 4 years.

Rivera
08-20-2018, 11:24 AM
i really think the lakers are in this spot as well. The Bron factor plus the length they have, could cause a lot of teams problems. That length! I feel they have the highest upside with all the teams thats left

warfelg
08-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Iím going Lakers. But not because of LeBron.

I know hot take right?

Iím going them because I think some cap strapped team will deal a better player with time left for those 1 year contracts; then trade some youth for experience.

Like, I wouldnít be shocked to see this team end the season with a lineup looking more:
Kemba
Hart
Ingram
Bron
RLopez

mightybosstone
08-20-2018, 11:33 AM
I think LA and San Antonio are the two easy, safe picks here, but I actually would not be surprised if Minnesota or Denver finally put together the play on the court to match the talent on their rosters and just blew us all away with a 55-win season. Minnesota was on pace for 51 wins in late January before Butler started missing time, and I just have to think there's still a small chance that roster will figure it out and their young guys will start to gel and learn from those veterans.

For Denver, I just think that team has so many really good players. It actually reminds me of those Denver teams from like 10 years ago with Ty Lawson, Gallo, etc. that was capable of winning 55 games a year. Except this Nuggets team has a legitimate No. 1 guy in Jokic who really seemed to be putting it together down the stretch last year when they were playing so well.

GREATNESS ONE
08-20-2018, 11:38 AM

Lmao you said, you barely watch the NBA now. Your opinion means jack ****. Squirm? Iíve watched every single Lakers game the last 21 years, itís always been Lakers first for me. Just funny watching the Lebron nut huggers try to down play him and say heís on the 9-12best team in the NBA because heís a Lakers, that squirm is hilarious. But continue on your no watching games/ I know basketball crusade.

GREATNESS ONE
08-20-2018, 11:42 AM
It's going to be the best running joke of the next 4 years.

Na, bigger joke is that GS Forum and watching you guys all dissapear again when your team goes to ****. ďBest fan baseĒ :laugh:

What a joke. Anyways, done in this thread, enjoy the bandwagon.

tredigs
08-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Lmao you said, you barely watch the NBA now. Your opinion means jack ****. Squirm? Iíve watched every single Lakers game the last 21 years, itís always been Lakers first for me. Just funny watching the Lebron nut huggers try to down play him and say heís on the 9-12best team in the NBA because heís a Lakers, that squirm is hilarious. But continue on your no watching games/ I know basketball crusade.

Lol, Hawk clearly has a grasp of the sport and has displayed that countless times over the years. Same definitely can not be said for yourself.

The Lakers could make the playoffs, but they're far from a lock. It's a team with a lot of reshuffling, a young coach and a roster that is sub par on 3/5ths of their starting lineup. On a complimentary note, the Cavs had a losing record against teams over .500 last season. Welcome to the West LeBron, good luck.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2018, 11:48 AM

not watching it religiously for once, for a year, doesn't erase 25 years of it haha.

it has nothing to do with LeBron getting worse. He can't carry a team for a regular season anymore, and relied on better rosters than the Lakers offer, in an easier conference, to help him. I think they could fight for a first round HCA series, around the 50 win mark, but the roster is just not great. LeBron likely adds 10-12 wins alone to a team at this point (remember, we don't see the best of him until playoffs now), but how are the Lakers adding another 5-10 wins outside that? Better hope for big steps from some young guys, which is not best to depend on.

Yes, it is hilarious. Fans of a team/player that HATED LeBron for years, led the anti-LeBron rhetoric on this site forever, and now have to root for the guy and all of a sudden many of them are admitting to what he brings. Can't have it both ways, so damn right its hilarious to watch such hypocrites in action.

tredigs
08-20-2018, 11:50 AM
Na, bigger joke is that GS Forum and watching you guys all dissapear again when your team goes to ****. ďBest fan baseĒ :laugh:

What a joke. Anyways, done in this thread, enjoy the bandwagon.

These are some deep cuts you got here buddy. The sting is real! (I don't care to spend any time in an echo chamber, a fan-team forum offers me nothing, so I don't visit it).

I'm going to enjoy Lakers fans so much the next few years. Now that's a team forum worth checking in on :laugh:

mightybosstone
08-20-2018, 11:54 AM
Yes, it is hilarious. Fans of a team/player that HATED LeBron for years, led the anti-LeBron rhetoric on this site forever, and now have to root for the guy and all of a sudden many of them are admitting to what he brings. Can't have it both ways, so damn right its hilarious to watch such hypocrites in action.

If I had the time like I did back in college or in my early 20s, I would take great pleasure in looking through the posts of Lakers fans on this site over the last decade to find all of their anti-Lebron comments. Hell, there's got to be a dozen anti-Lebron threads over that time started by Lakers fans that are just littered with ignorant, hateful comments about the guy.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2018, 11:56 AM
If I had the time like I did back in college or in my early 20s, I would take great pleasure in looking through the posts of Lakers fans on this site over the last decade to find all of their anti-Lebron comments. Hell, there's got to be a dozen anti-Lebron threads over that time started by Lakers fans that are just littered with ignorant, hateful comments about the guy.

yet those same fans claim that they are now contenders because of him. It's awesome.

kdspurman
08-20-2018, 12:06 PM
I think SA will surprise people again this year. Probly them or LA in this spot, I just imagine the learning curve being a bit smaller for SA in terms of incorporating the new guys they have.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2018, 12:12 PM
I think SA will surprise people again this year. Probly them or LA in this spot, I just imagine the learning curve being a bit smaller for SA in terms of incorporating the new guys they have.

it feels like people, including me, have been waiting for the bottom to fall out for SA for years. And it never happens

kdspurman
08-20-2018, 12:18 PM
it feels like people, including me, have been waiting for the bottom to fall out for SA for years. And it never happens

absolutely... lot of people have em' projected to miss the playoffs this year. They haven't been projected this poorly in a while, but they've got some young guys who I think will make leaps this year.

Last year was their worst season in like 21 seasons, and they won 47 & made the playoffs without their best player. As long as Pop is around, I don't think there's any way they bottom out and/or miss the playoffs. I think this year his coaching/motivation levels could be that of what we saw in 2014.

tredigs
08-20-2018, 12:25 PM
absolutely... lot of people have em' projected to miss the playoffs this year. They haven't been projected this poorly in a while, but they've got some young guys who I think will make leaps this year.

Last year was their worst season in like 21 seasons, and they won 47 & made the playoffs without their best player. As long as Pop is around, I don't think there's any way they bottom out and/or miss the playoffs. I think this year his coaching/motivation levels could be that of what we saw in 2014.

I had them missing the playoffs in this list, but they're just part of the 6 team group where it seems like it will be really close. It's a season where 3-4 games could separate the 5-10 seed. Them ending up as the 5 seed (possibly even 3 or 4) would not surprise me in the least, but damn there are just a lot of very tough teams in the West this year.

Hawkeye15
08-20-2018, 12:28 PM
I had them missing the playoffs in this list, but they're just part of the 6 team group where it seems like it will be really close. It's a season where 3-4 games could separate the 5-10 seed. Them ending up as the 5 seed (possibly even 3 or 4) would not surprise me in the least, but damn there are just a lot of very tough teams in the West this year.

3 games separated seeds 3-9 last year. While we may not see something that ridiculous again, you are right. Debating seeds 3-10 out west is really just an exercise.

kdspurman
08-20-2018, 12:56 PM

Yea, it'll probably be tight again. I personally see them anywhere from 3-6 if they stay relatively healthy. Lot of tough teams, but I would be surprised if they aren't in the playoffs.

tredigs
08-20-2018, 12:59 PM
3 games separated seeds 3-9 last year. While we may not see something that ridiculous again, you are right. Debating seeds 3-10 out west is really just an exercise.

Damn you're right. Poor Nuggets lol.