PDA

View Full Version : PSD's Mock Offseason Playoffs - FINALS - Thunder @ Nuggets

Super.
08-10-2018, 02:56 PM
THIS ISNT REAL. This is a bunch of users here who simulated an offseason and heres what we've ended up with. Please vote on which team would win a 7 game series and please dont vote for your favorite team just because theyre you're favorite.

Thunder
PG: Ricky Rubio - Milos Teodosic - Derrick Rose
SG: James Harden - Dwyane Wade - Rodney McGruder
SF: Paul George - DeMarre Carroll - Derrick Jones Jr
PF: PJ Tucker - Jerami Grant - Udonis Haslem
C: Marc Gasol - Cody Zeller - Mike Muscala

@

Nuggets
PG:Kemba Walker / TJ McConnell
SG:Klay Thompson / Thabo Sefelosha / Luke Kennard
SF:Kevin Durant / Jeff Green / Michael Beasley
PF:Serge Ibaka / Frank Kaminsky / Juan Hernangomez
C:Al Horford / Nene / Boban Marjonovic

Super.
08-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Voting is up for 10 days

Quinnsanity
08-10-2018, 03:52 PM
My instinct is the Nuggets, but I want to hear arguments.

tredigs
08-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Thunder. Elite playmaking down to the backup PG and just the right floor spacer at center to help mitigate the very slight spacing issues they might face with Rubio at point. Better D also.

Quinnsanity
08-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Really disappointed in the lack of discussion here. I was hoping someone would be able to sway me. But in one of the closest decisions I've ever made in a PSD vote, I have decided to vote for the Thunder for the following reasons:

- Their bench is significantly better.
- Ricky Rubio worked really well with a ball-dominant guard in Donovan Mitchell last season. I think it's reasonable to assume that with these teammates, he can match his league-average shooting from last year. Similarly, I think it's fair to assume that James Harden can match the effectiveness of his switching in the playoffs in this series during the minutes that Marc Gasol sits (and OKC could put out really effective switchy groups like, say, Harden/George/Carroll/Tucker/Grant). Denver does not have the bigs to punish OKC for switching.
- Harden has typically done well with Klay defending him. Denver's game-plan relies on Klay being able to defend Harden effectively, and I'm not betting on that in an infrastructure without Draymond. Yes Horford is excellent, but he's not the same. If Denver switches then Harden gets to hunt for Kemba or Ibaka (who was frankly pretty bad last year).
- Klay has generally done well outside of Curry's orbit, but I think a lot of that is due to Golden State's insistence on ball-movement. I'm not particularly confident that a team without Kerr as its coach and with Kemba and KD monopolizing the ball quite a bit would be the best use of Klay's talents. That doesn't mean he needs the ball constantly. But I think Klay needs to feel a level of involvement even when he isn't shooting in order to maintain maximum efficiency. The Warriors manufactured that. I'm not convinced that this team would. That is how Klay thrives in a three- or four-star setup. Otherwise, I think we can all agree Klay should be higher on most pecking orders.

So that's what went through my head as I chose the Thunder. Hope more people get into the debate here because these are two excellent teams. They were also teams that weren't particularly coveted. For OKC to get here with all of the bad money it started with and Denver to get here without being a playoff team last year is truly amazing. Two excellent jobs. It was incredibly close for me.

Sadds The Gr8
08-12-2018, 08:32 PM
Nuggets. The bench sucks but I think their offense would flow better than OKC's would. The offensive fit around Harden isn't great, and I think Horford would clearly outplay Gasol at this point in their careers.

unleashthebeast
08-12-2018, 10:58 PM
Sorry guys Iíve been stupid busy, Iíll be posting a bit tomorrow about why OKC will win this series

mrblisterdundee
08-13-2018, 02:46 AM
Kevin Durant.

Rivera
08-13-2018, 10:30 AM
leaning nuggets

TO Rapz
08-13-2018, 12:41 PM
Nuggets

GREATNESS ONE
08-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Utb

Sportfan
08-17-2018, 05:59 PM
Really disappointed in the lack of discussion here. I was hoping someone would be able to sway me. But in one of the closest decisions I've ever made in a PSD vote, I have decided to vote for the Thunder for the following reasons:

- Their bench is significantly better.
- Ricky Rubio worked really well with a ball-dominant guard in Donovan Mitchell last season. I think it's reasonable to assume that with these teammates, he can match his league-average shooting from last year. Similarly, I think it's fair to assume that James Harden can match the effectiveness of his switching in the playoffs in this series during the minutes that Marc Gasol sits (and OKC could put out really effective switchy groups like, say, Harden/George/Carroll/Tucker/Grant). Denver does not have the bigs to punish OKC for switching.
- Harden has typically done well with Klay defending him. Denver's game-plan relies on Klay being able to defend Harden effectively, and I'm not betting on that in an infrastructure without Draymond. Yes Horford is excellent, but he's not the same. If Denver switches then Harden gets to hunt for Kemba or Ibaka (who was frankly pretty bad last year).
- Klay has generally done well outside of Curry's orbit, but I think a lot of that is due to Golden State's insistence on ball-movement. I'm not particularly confident that a team without Kerr as its coach and with Kemba and KD monopolizing the ball quite a bit would be the best use of Klay's talents. That doesn't mean he needs the ball constantly. But I think Klay needs to feel a level of involvement even when he isn't shooting in order to maintain maximum efficiency. The Warriors manufactured that. I'm not convinced that this team would. That is how Klay thrives in a three- or four-star setup. Otherwise, I think we can all agree Klay should be higher on most pecking orders.

So that's what went through my head as I chose the Thunder. Hope more people get into the debate here because these are two excellent teams. They were also teams that weren't particularly coveted. For OKC to get here with all of the bad money it started with and Denver to get here without being a playoff team last year is truly amazing. Two excellent jobs. It was incredibly close for me.

Comparing Rubio with Mitchell to CP3 with Harden is really different. It's not like Rubio came in with Ben Simmons Hype, he wasn't really taking over the offense until December/January. He was eased into the role as he increased his scoring output, but he was not ball-dominant to the level of Harden (unless Rubio was out) and it allowed Rubio to play his game and really excel to his best.

I don't see that working with Harden. Rubio's known for his passive approach and lack of alpha. Harden is on the complete other side of the spectrum. Even with the point god legend, the best playmaker of the past decade, we saw Paul take a backseat to Harden for most of the season. Harden eventually would hand the keys over to Paul later in the season on his off nights, but it wasn't a seamless transition.

If you look at CP3's best 3 man lineups in terms of net rating, the top 4 three-man lineups don't include Harden with Paul. Pau was at his best with guys like Gordon, Tucker, Ariza, Capela. And this is a legendary PG and known leader that couldn't limit Harden's ball-domination. I don't really see Rubio contributing much offensively in this series. He won't be the primary playmaker, hell with George and Gasol he may not even be the second or 3rd ball handler. OF course he's still a good defender so he'll have an impact, but with poor shooting ability and little penetration, he's not a factor for the worst defender in my lineup, Kemba.

I'm not really concerned on shutting down Harden. He does that on his own in the playoffs. Choking Harden jokes aside, we don't really need to shut him down. As long as he's not putting up 35 on good efficiency, we'll be fine considering him and George are really the only source of offense OKC has.

I don't see why Klay won't be able to check him? You can say there's no dray sure, but i would contend Kevin Durant was also a big factor in help D shutting down Harden in the series this year. Harden's numbers against pre KD Warriors are much more efficient than post KD Warriors, and that was on display in the playoff series this year where Harden had 1 truly MVP caliber game out of 7. Again, there's no need to get Game 3 and Game 5 2015 performances when he shot 18% against Klay, we just need to make sure he's not playing at an MVP level.

Al Horford is a pretty damn good mobile defender. He may not have Dray's physicality, but he is strong and stout in his positioning, and he doesn't foul. The Klay-KD-Ibaka-Horford line should be very effective limiting Harden to tougher shots.

Also I know we didn't get to do minute distributions before, but this is how I envision it.

PG:Kemba Walker (36)/ TJ McConnell (11)
SG:Klay Thompson (37)/ Thabo Sefelosha (19)
SF:Kevin Durant (40) /
PF:Serge Ibaka (26)/ Jeff Green (20)
C:Al Horford (34)/Frank Kaminsky(12)/ Nene(4)

Kaminsky and Nene will probably platoon as I doubt both will need to play. Potentially a few minutes to Kennard if we're in need of some shooting. So there will be a lot of KD/Jeff Green at the 4 and Klay/Thabo at the 3. With those matchups we think we'll be fine. OKC has non factors at the 1 and 4. Guys like Green/Ibaka/Kaminsky will have no issue shadowing Tucker while helping out on the wing matchups. If we lose from Tucker shooting lights out, so be it, we'll take our chances.

Ibaka isn't the stud his reputation gives him defensively, but he is more than capable of maintaining his own on a switch. Is he going to lock down Harden? No, but he's not going to be a traffic cone. And the Pick and Roll threat isn't there at the PF position. Gasol perhaps, but I have full confidence in Horford managing that.

I mean yes, we don't have Kerr, but Al Horford single handedly carried the playmaking for the Celtic in the postseason. GIve a lot of the credit to Brad, but Horford is the one that's executing the gameplan. Kemba and KD are far better playmakers than Rozier and Tatum. Kemba has never played with stars, so I'm not buying that he wouldn't be able to feed Klay the ball, and if it's a problem we'll run more of the offense with Horford or KD. Kemba is very good off-ball, he's a phenomenal shooter. McConnell will get some burn as well. His pesky defense and knack for finding the right pass will be beneficial to this squad.

I don't think my bench is very good, but the Thunder's best bench players are at the positions of their star players who should be playing 40 minutes. I think if there was a position the Thunder could expose me, it'd be an athletic PG that could put up quick buckets or shoot lights out, or a big man that can dominate the post/boards over Horford. Rubio, Milos, Derrick Rose? Not a threat. You've got Gasol, but he's aging rapidly, and the rest of their bigs don't strike any fear with dominating my bigs in the post.