PDA

View Full Version : PSD Preseason Team Power Rankings #5

Rivera
08-10-2018, 10:27 AM
To generate more discussion, I thought it could be fun to debate and have a pre season NBA rankings before anyone hits the floor. We can look back and laugh at how wrong we were or boast about how right we were

To put some structure behind this, I want to rank the best teams in terms of title contenders. Most of PSD feels GSW will sleep walk to another title this season with the addition of DMC so I will rank them as the defacto #1 with no voting.

Who would you rank as the 2nd best team? I will leave the poll open for the weekend, and continue this every other day (minus weekends) - (M/W/F)

Who are you ranking as the 2nd best team in the NBA

(Poll: If I left out a team you feel deserves to be in the poll, please add the team below in this thread)

Lets Debate!

PSD Power Rankings:

1) Golden State Warriors
2) Houston Rockets
3) Boston Celtics
4) Toronto Raptors

mightybosstone
08-10-2018, 11:21 AM
I've got to go with Philly here. They finished with the fifth best record in the league last season, and even though they didn't improve much on paper from a personnel standpoint, they should see some improvement from the natural progression of their young players. If Fultz finally provides something and Simmons develops any semblance of a jumper, they could be a 55+ win team next season.

MygirlhatesCod
08-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Jazz for this spot. sucked that Rubio got hurt. would have been a good series with Houston.

Rivera
08-10-2018, 11:50 AM
I like Utah as well but Embiid is the best player on either team in a weaker conference. I do like OKC more than last season with bench contributions from Schroder hopefully a full season from Roberson and Noel on the bench, they could take another step. I do think Utah is deeper than both the 76ers and OKC. Im leaning Utah, but I could be convinced for either Philly or OKC

Simmons/Reddick/Covington/Saric/Embiid
Rubio/Mitchell/Ingles/Crowder/Gobert
Russ/Roberson/PG13/Grant/Adams

mightybosstone
08-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Jazz for this spot. sucked that Rubio got hurt. would have been a good series with Houston.

Probably not. Rockets were 4-0 against the Jazz in the regular season with all four wins coming by double digits. Throw in the their five meetings in the playoffs, and Houston was 8-1 against the Jazz with all eight wins coming by at least 10 points. Rubio is a solid player, but he's not making nearly as much of a difference in that series as everyone on PSD seems to think.

GREATNESS ONE
08-10-2018, 11:55 AM
What a joke

WaDe03
08-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Spurs.

Rivera
08-10-2018, 01:23 PM
What a joke

bro Lonzo needs more help :laugh2:

mrblisterdundee
08-10-2018, 01:33 PM
The Thunder's improved defense with a healthy Roberson, along with a couple quality bench additions, put them barely ahead of Utah and the 76ers for me. We all know they were a different team defensively with a healthy Roberson, and now they aren't saddled with Mr. Marshmelodramatic. They got deeper this offseason, including a backup point guard who could be better than Utah's starter and a backup big who could potentially defend four different positions. They have some pretty good options defensively to throw at Mitchell, Simmons and Embiid.

mightybosstone
08-10-2018, 01:51 PM
What a joke

Why is it a joke? Because your Lakers aren't higher?

With Lebron playing 37 minutes a night over 82 games last season, his Cavs went 52-30, or the 6th best record in the league. And now he's playing with a brand new core of players that we've literally never seen on the floor together. Just for some background, when he came back to Cleveland to play with Kyrie and Love in 2014-15 (on a much more talented team), that team went only 53-29 in its first season together, or the 7th best record in the league.

So explain to me why this Lakers should be in the top 5 going into the season right now. Because I'm not nearly as confident in them as you seem to be.

tredigs
08-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Warriors
Celtics
Rockets
Raptors
Utah
OKC
Philly

Rivera
08-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Warriors
Celtics
Rockets
Raptors
Utah
OKC
Philly

not a believer in Philly? Or just believe Utah/OKC is better?

mightybosstone
08-10-2018, 02:02 PM
I think people are giving the Thunder way too much credit here. Before Roberson went down with the injury, they were 29-20, or a 59.2 percent win percentage, which would equate to about one half of a win over the course of a season better than they finished. And getting Melo off the roster may help them in some ways on paper, but they're essentially replacing his 16 inefficient points per game with Schroder and his nearly equally inefficient 19 points per game from last season. Plus, the guy can't shoot the 3-pointer to save his life, and the Thunder were already only 23rd in 3-point shooting percentage last season.

Even if Schroder does fit into that offense (I'm not sure how), I just don't see how that OKC team will be significantly better than last season. And I certainly don't see them as better than Philly or a healthy Utah team with Mitchell being a year older/better. Hell, I might even prefer Lebron's Lakers to OKC at this point. At least I know a team with Lebron will have some semblance of an offensive flow and will be able to compete come playoff time.

tredigs
08-10-2018, 02:03 PM
So long as Philly has two lead guards in Simmons/Fultz that simply can't shoot (or even hit FT's at a respectable rate), all the smart teams/coaches will exploit the hell out of them in the playoffs (see: Boston). I need to see improvement + adjustments there before they're to be taken seriously.

tredigs
08-10-2018, 02:06 PM
not a believer in Philly? Or just believe Utah/OKC is better?

Believer in Utah and Mitchell's ability to vault into the elite offensive realm this year, and I think a year of synergy between PG and Westbrook helps them tremendously. Specifically without Melo crowding their offensive abilities.

WaDe03
08-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Y’all are sleeping on the Spurs.

GREATNESS ONE
08-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Why is it a joke? Because your Lakers aren't higher?

With Lebron playing 37 minutes a night over 82 games last season, his Cavs went 52-30, or the 6th best record in the league. And now he's playing with a brand new core of players that we've literally never seen on the floor together. Just for some background, when he came back to Cleveland to play with Kyrie and Love in 2014-15 (on a much more talented team), that team went only 53-29 in its first season together, or the 7th best record in the league.

So explain to me why this Lakers should be in the top 5 going into the season right now. Because I'm not nearly as confident in them as you seem to be.

Cavs would be higher and right about here, with Lebron, right? that's where you would probably rank them, definitely above Toronto. All good, yo7 guys can rank them all you want, see you at Staples, going to enjoy watching Harden shut down Bron.

GREATNESS ONE
08-10-2018, 04:10 PM
bro Lonzo needs more help :laugh2:

lol @ the Cleveland article.

Bostonjorge
08-10-2018, 04:56 PM
What a joke

Clearly they underestimate Lebron and what he brings to the basketball court. Only Lebron fans like “us” know what he can really do.

AntiG
08-11-2018, 06:05 PM
Lakers. They have the best player in the NBA plus some solid roleplayers. You can put Lebron on almost any team and they're automatically contenders.

mightybosstone
08-11-2018, 08:00 PM
Cavs would be higher and right about here, with Lebron, right? that's where you would probably rank them, definitely above Toronto.
Over last year's Toronto team? Maybe. But this is a different team with a much better No. 1 player. Part of that also has to do with postseason performance. With Lebron moving to the West, things are going to be a hell of a lot tougher than what he's used to in the East. I think Toronto will finish with a better record than the Lakers, and I think they're far more likely to advance to the conference finals and the championship than the Lakers are right now.

All good, yo7 guys can rank them all you want, see you at Staples,
I will not be in attendance, as I live in Houston and Staples is in LA. :D

going to enjoy watching Harden shut down Bron.
:confused:

Rivera
08-12-2018, 11:21 AM
We have a tie between Utah and OKC on the last day. Every vote counts

dhopisthename
08-12-2018, 01:22 PM
to be fair they tied last year.

Rivera
08-13-2018, 08:59 AM
this poll is going to close in about 1hour and 30 min. one vote is going to make the difference between OKC and Utah

I need one more vote to break this tiebreaker

Heediot
08-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Homer vote Denver. MPJ surprises wins ROY and has a Donovan like effect on the Nuggets and catapults up a tier or two from last year lolol.

Heediot
08-13-2018, 09:18 AM
this poll is going to close in about 1hour and 30 min. one vote is going to make the difference between OKC and Utah

I need one more vote to break this tiebreaker

OK Mods can change my vote then. I'm going with OKC, if it comes down to those two squads.