PDA

View Full Version : LeBron in the post

Scoots
08-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Are there any 4s left in the NBA who can physically punish LeBron for playing the 4 on the offensive end and still have any hope on the defensive end?

The league's changes all but eliminating elite physical post scorers have made LeBron's move inside much easier, so he may be willing to have that as his base position for the first time in his career.

Still need some career best shooting performances from his teamates to make space.

One thing is for sure, everybody is going to watch the Lakers.

lakerfan85
08-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Sadly Carlos Boozer is no longer in the league..

ewing
08-05-2018, 10:23 PM
AD is the only guy I can come up with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoots
08-05-2018, 11:37 PM

And he's going to be a full time 5 this year and LeBron won't be guarding him.

It's amazing what has happened to the big man game.

kobe4thewinbang
08-06-2018, 12:37 AM
I remember when LeBron was showcasing his post skills against the OKC Thunder in the Finals that year. Seems to have regressed in that department, but it would be nice to see him bang down low more. He's a human tank so it's surprising that he is still more jumper-friendly. Especially against the Warriors last Finals. He should do it more.

WhiteShadow42
08-06-2018, 01:43 AM

That would be cool to see that matchup. As soon as that happens Lebron will take him off the dribble instead. So we just have to rely on Julius Randle stopping him. Caugh, sarcasm.

basch152
08-06-2018, 06:13 AM
Griffin has decent post skills size and strength at least

warfelg
08-06-2018, 07:31 AM
And this is what somewhat frustrates me about the NBA. They've messaged the rules so much, and on top of that give superstar calls, that we've hit a point that you put and athletic big wing in the post and there's no good way to stop him. Especially one as skilled as LeBron.

I think with another year or two of maturity Tatum and Simmons can do the same thing. Kawhi can do the same thing right now. I think Dray Green can do it in spurts but not all game long.

Jeffy25
08-06-2018, 07:50 AM
If we want modern big men again, were gonna need to make zones illegal and move the 3 further back.

I don't think they want that though.

Every team is a 4 out, 1 in set up with a larger guy being the ball handler and big men being able to hit 3's.

Red Auerbach wouldn't recognize this game.

Scoots
08-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Griffin has decent post skills size and strength at least

But he seems to be a jump shooter more than anything else these days.

Scoots
08-06-2018, 09:36 AM
And this is what somewhat frustrates me about the NBA. They've messaged the rules so much, and on top of that give superstar calls, that we've hit a point that you put and athletic big wing in the post and there's no good way to stop him. Especially one as skilled as LeBron.

I think with another year or two of maturity Tatum and Simmons can do the same thing. Kawhi can do the same thing right now. I think Dray Green can do it in spurts but not all game long.

I don't think it's rules changes as much as it's coaches/players taking advantage of the rules combined with the college game not coaching post offense to bigs anymore. The number of BIG guys who can move laterally quick enough to defend a wing on the other end is a tiny number (and pretty much all of them are quickly moved to center) which means most teams can plan to run things that way anyhow. The power forward is all but dead because of a lot of factors, not just the rules.

ewing
08-06-2018, 09:55 AM
I don't think it's rules changes as much as it's coaches/players taking advantage of the rules combined with the college game not coaching post offense to bigs anymore. The number of BIG guys who can move laterally quick enough to defend a wing on the other end is a tiny number (and pretty much all of them are quickly moved to center) which means most teams can plan to run things that way anyhow. The power forward is all but dead because of a lot of factors, not just the rules.

Rules changes are huge. Let a bigger guys ďhand check/grab a roller/ driver, let him give bumps on cutters and he has a lot better chance of staying in front/containing until players can switch back

Heediot
08-06-2018, 10:57 AM
Rules changes are huge. Let a bigger guys ďhand check/grab a roller/ driver, let him give bumps on cutters and he has a lot better chance of staying in front/containing until players can switch back

Let the big guy camp in the paint would also help. Good coaches can scheme around that and hide some mobile weaknesses for a fair amount of time.

Ball is about exploiting match-ups, so teams may scheme around getting some bigs away from the basket, but a crafty coach like Pops and Stevens may create rotations that can lessen the damage if given more defensive liberties.

If the 5 isn't as much of a liabilty on defense, he would get more time on the floor for his offense. Guys like Brook, Jonas, Vucevic, Moroe would get some more burn, especially in the playoffs where defenses get tighter and clamp down more on the perimeter. A post up offense may have helped for Houston and especially Boston (with Monroe) when both teams bricked their way out of a game 7 in the cfs.

WaDe03
08-06-2018, 12:19 PM
LeBron is at his best in the post but doesnít like playing there. One of the things he didnít like about Miami is that they had him posting up a lot.

GREATNESS ONE
08-06-2018, 12:21 PM
LeBron is at his best in the post but doesnít like playing there. One of the things he didnít like about Miami is that they had him posting up a lot.

true but I think he's much more comfortable in the post at this point in his career thanhe was in Miami (when he couldn't post up Barrea). Also, I think Bron, will want to play much more off-the ball basketball, probably until playoff time.

Scoots
08-06-2018, 12:26 PM

On defense that's true ... but it's still true that colleges are not developing post offensive players at all anymore.

Scoots
08-06-2018, 12:30 PM
true but I think he's much more comfortable in the post at this point in his career thanhe was in Miami (when he couldn't post up Barrea). Also, I think Bron, will want to play much more off-the ball basketball, probably until playoff time.

And the league has changed to be far less physical in the post than it was early in LeBron's career. The last real banger was Zach Randolph.

When the lists of best power forwards in the NBA include names like Tobias Harris and Aaron Gordon in the top 10 you know LeBron has to look at them and think "yeah, I could do that".

MygirlhatesCod
08-06-2018, 01:26 PM
I remember when LeBron was showcasing his post skills against the OKC Thunder in the Finals that year. Seems to have regressed in that department, but it would be nice to see him bang down low more. He's a human tank so it's surprising that he is still more jumper-friendly. Especially against the Warriors last Finals. He should do it more.

i think for his longevity it will be avoided. he has way to many miles on him to effectively bully around the paint for a full season. plus he has a group of outstanding passers to keep rotating till a open shot opens up.

Scoots
08-06-2018, 03:03 PM
i think for his longevity it will be avoided. he has way to many miles on him to effectively bully around the paint for a full season. plus he has a group of outstanding passers to keep rotating till a open shot opens up.

He's bigger and stronger than Draymond Green. And Dray plays 4 and 5 all year now. It's not nearly as physical a job as it used to be.

ewing
08-06-2018, 03:12 PM
On defense that's true ... but it's still true that colleges are not developing post offensive players at all anymore.

Are colleges developing anything? When I started watching even the best guys stayed two years and they came in NBA ready. Now guys play 1 season and skip spring classes to work out for the draft

MygirlhatesCod
08-06-2018, 03:18 PM
He's bigger and stronger than Draymond Green. And Dray plays 4 and 5 all year now. It's not nearly as physical a job as it used to be.

very true.

but he is gonna be 34 shortly and he just came off of some insane usage last year, especially for a player his age. him banging down low is gonna involve having a lot of ISO plays and with the cast accrued it doesn't seem logical. that was supposed to be the point of getting those players. so he wouldn't have to grind himself down.

Bostonjorge
08-06-2018, 11:41 PM
I want to see James catch the Ball in the post. He will lead the league in scoring if heís getting fed the ball down low. He can square up and find where he wants to go, all before he takes a dribble.

GREATNESS ONE
08-07-2018, 12:21 AM
i want to see james catch the ball in the post. He will lead the league in scoring if heís getting fed the ball down low. He can square up and find where he wants to go, all before he takes a dribble.

mj?

kobe4thewinbang
08-07-2018, 03:56 AM
i think for his longevity it will be avoided. he has way to many miles on him to effectively bully around the paint for a full season. plus he has a group of outstanding passers to keep rotating till a open shot opens up.Right, makes sense. Speaking purely as a fan. It's probably why he's never suffered serious injury, as banging down low, knees hitting knees, etc, is bound to cause more damage than jump-shooting. That, and the dude is lucky as hell, as we see others get hurt shooting jumpers, on drives to the rim. He does spend millions on his health every year.

WaDe03
08-07-2018, 09:18 AM

2011 LeBron was much different than 2013 LeBron though. 2013 LeBron had no flaws on either end. Miami made him bulk up and it did wonders for him but he didnít like it for whatever reason.

Scoots
08-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Are colleges developing anything? When I started watching even the best guys stayed two years and they came in NBA ready. Now guys play 1 season and skip spring classes to work out for the draft

Indeed, and that's not helping the post play which takes the most training and time to develop.

IndyRealist
08-07-2018, 11:14 AM
2011 LeBron was much different than 2013 LeBron though. 2013 LeBron had no flaws on either end. Miami made him bulk up and it did wonders for him but he didnít like it for whatever reason.

Lebron slimming back down coincided with the league increasing testing on PEDs, FWIW.

Lakers + Giants
08-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Julius Randle

MygirlhatesCod
08-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Lebron slimming back down coincided with the league increasing testing on PEDs, FWIW.

I read this somewhere. it is pretty coincidental that he lost like 30 pounds as soon as HGH testing was confirmed.

Chronz
08-07-2018, 01:57 PM
He used to say he got bored in the post, the truth is hes a ***** who can't bang.

Hawkeye15
08-07-2018, 02:18 PM
He used to say he got bored in the post, the truth is hes a ***** who can't bang.

never got that about LeBron. Inadvertent contact doesn't even phase him, but methodical contact causes him to get all pissy.

JAZZNC
08-07-2018, 10:09 PM
I miss the good old days watching Barkley slamming into Malone trying to back him down in the post and vice versa. And there wasn't this ***** made flopping that abounds today. It was man on man and nobody wanted to look like a *****. Occasionally somebody would "pull the chair" on a player backing down in the post but people weren't flopping all over the court. I think the refs calling it an offensive foul every time instead of letting people get dunked on and have their face stomped in when they flop has certainly changed things a lot. I always loved watching good post play but now all it is is 7' guys shooting 3s or 7' guys who do nothing but play D and catch lobs. It sucks that the post game is all but dead.

Bostonjorge
08-10-2018, 01:29 AM
I think the post is perfect for James in todayís NBA. No one really bangs down low anymore. I donít see anyone sapping James stamina down low. Chasing perimeter players around will sap it much quicker. James can play that safety role and protect the rim. These bigs canít keep up with James foot speed down the court.

Mid range James is coming to take over the league.

ewing
08-10-2018, 08:38 AM
I think Love will dominate

Hawkeye15
08-10-2018, 09:12 AM
I think Love will dominate

like he did in MN, enroute to 40 wins max?

ewing
08-10-2018, 09:14 AM
like he did in MN, enroute to 40 wins max?

Depends on his caste. Im just saying he will dominate LeBron when he moves back to the 4

lakers squad
08-10-2018, 11:50 PM
I don't know who all has seen Bron in his Laker gear at practice, but he has come in freaking huge! I don't think I've ever seen him with this much muscle on him. Guess He's getting prepared to bang down low against the bigger guy's when he needs too!

ldawg
08-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Right, makes sense. Speaking purely as a fan. It's probably why he's never suffered serious injury, as banging down low, knees hitting knees, etc, is bound to cause more damage than jump-shooting. That, and the dude is lucky as hell, as we see others get hurt shooting jumpers, on drives to the rim. He does spend millions on his health every year.

I think this is where Lakers miss and made a calculated gamble with Randle.

ldawg
08-11-2018, 01:48 PM
I don't know who all has seen Bron in his Laker gear at practice, but he has come in freaking huge! I don't think I've ever seen him with this much muscle on him. Guess He's getting prepared to bang down low against the bigger guy's when he needs too!Will the added weight slow him down or put more weight on the high mile wheels?

Tg11
08-11-2018, 10:09 PM
I say on the Warriors it would be Draymond who could physically punish LeBron in the post on offensive and defensive end outside of Draymond in the East the other 4s in the West are AD, Randle, Capela, Favors, Noel, Aldridge, Jokic or Millsap, Taj Gibson, etc. but probably the only ones who could match up well with LeBron are Aldridge, AD, Millsap and Draymond but that is about it

Heediot
08-12-2018, 01:49 PM
I miss the good old days watching Barkley slamming into Malone trying to back him down in the post and vice versa. And there wasn't this ***** made flopping that abounds today. It was man on man and nobody wanted to look like a *****. Occasionally somebody would "pull the chair" on a player backing down in the post but people weren't flopping all over the court. I think the refs calling it an offensive foul every time instead of letting people get dunked on and have their face stomped in when they flop has certainly changed things a lot. I always loved watching good post play but now all it is is 7' guys shooting 3s or 7' guys who do nothing but play D and catch lobs. It sucks that the post game is all but dead.

I feel you. Some of the analytics followers on here are more enamored with ball movement and the 3 ball. Nothing inherently wrong there, but I would like some balance with post play as well. In the Euroleague, I think they mix it up more, maybe it due to how the game is called. There are more liberties for coaches and players in terms of defending. Exploiting matchups seems to be more varied in Europe, whereas in the nba it seems like the mismatches are 90 percent for the primary ballhandlers.

R. Johnson#3
08-13-2018, 09:07 AM

Bullying people in the post takes a lot more out of you than taking jumpers. If Lebron has to play 40+ minutes in a game then he wonít be spending much time in the post. Heís a monster down low but he has to stay on the floor.

basketfan4life
08-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Bullying people in the post takes a lot more out of you than taking jumpers. If Lebron has to play 40+ minutes in a game then he wonít be spending much time in the post. Heís a monster down low but he has to stay on the floor.

Don't think he'll play 40+ . Lakers is a serious org. it won't be like cavs. They let D'Antoni do it with Kobe in 2013 once and saw how that resulted. A still top Kobe done for good.

MygirlhatesCod
08-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Don't think he'll play 40+ . Lakers is a serious org. it won't be like cavs. They let D'Antoni do it with Kobe in 2013 once and saw how that resulted. A still top Kobe done for good.

if he doesn't play a lot I don't see how the lakers win games. also Kobe wasn't really on top of much in 2013. the lakers were just way to old as a group for legit success anymore.

MarkieMark48
08-15-2018, 12:47 PM

Bingo

FlashBolt
08-15-2018, 01:45 PM

Didn't regress. Just never made sense for him to play more in the post considering only him and Kyrie were able to handle the ball effectively.