PDA

View Full Version : PSD's Mock Offseason Playoffs: Thunder @ Jazz

Super.
08-01-2018, 11:44 PM
THIS ISNT REAL. This is a bunch of users here who simulated an offseason and heres what we've ended up with. Please vote on which team would win a 7 game series and please dont vote for your favorite team just because theyre you're favorite.

Thunder
PG: Ricky Rubio - Milos Teodosic - Derrick Rose
SG: James Harden - Dwyane Wade - Rodney McGruder
SF: Paul George - DeMarre Carroll - Derrick Jones Jr
PF: PJ Tucker - Jerami Grant - Udonis Haslem
C: Marc Gasol - Cody Zeller - Mike Muscala

@

Jazz
PG: Chris Paul - Shane Larkin - Ty Lawson
SG: Donovan Mitchell - Lance Stephenson
SF: Kentavious Caldwell Pope - Omri Casspi - Joe Johnson
PF: Kevin Love - Ersan Ilyasova - Channing Frye
C: Rudy Gobert - David West

Super.
08-01-2018, 11:44 PM
Voting Ends in 5 Days

mrblisterdundee
08-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Harden and George are the two best players on either roster and would absolutely terrorize Mitchell and Pope. Paul will get his, but he's too old to be a team's alpha. Love will get his too over Tucker, but he shouldn't even be a team's second option. Gasol can approximate Gobert's skills while hitting threes and dragging him out to the perimeter and away from the rim. Even the Thunder's bench is better.

TO Rapz
08-02-2018, 12:01 PM
Lol how Love my 2nd option when I have Donovan Mitchell? Its Paul and Mitchell as my 1A, 1B with Love as the 3rd option. Paul and Mitchell will do the playmaking and ball handling with KCP and Love providing spacing. Gobert plays the P&R game with the ball handler.

TO Rapz
08-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Paul will take on Harden defensively. KCP will guard George defensively.

Rivera
08-02-2018, 12:34 PM
its really really close, ill wait for arguments, but its really close

KnicksorBust
08-02-2018, 02:33 PM
Why do the Thunder have more players?

TO Rapz
08-02-2018, 04:25 PM
You can build a squad of 12-15 players

Quinnsanity
08-02-2018, 10:02 PM
Thunder, but it was very close. Here were my determining factors:

- Rubio proved he can play with another ball-dominant guard last year in Mitchell.
- The Thunder defense is bonkers outside of Harden, on par with last year's Rockets in the playoffs. I don't believe Kevin Love is capable of being on a team that plays that kind of defense.
- I can abide KCP at 3 in some matchups. Not in this one.
- Thunder bench is much better.
- Harden roasted Gobert last year. I'm not convinced he works against elite PnR and iso guards.

This is the mostthought I've given a mock matchup in awhile, but that's where I fell.

Sportfan
08-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Not gonna vote, but couple matchups for me are huge.

Love vs Tucker. I don't know how much Tucker will actually play, but for as good of a defender as he's proclaimed to be I think Love can really work this matchup. He can take on Tucker down low and shoot over him from the 3. I'm very anti-Love in general, but if you're getting peak Kevin Love, this is the type of matchup he dominates. Grant and Carroll can probably help a little more with the size matchup, but Love is the X factor for the Jazz.

The other is both defenses are amazing, and this will definitely be a low scoring game. However I 'm not sure why Utah plans to put CP3 on Harden. Paul is the most important piece of that offense, and you're going to exert him defensively by guarding a much bigger player and MVP in James Harden?? That is a recipe for disaster. Harden may get slowed down by Paul but it's going to have a greater effect on Paul's ability to not only run the offense but score when needed. And really, that's what this Utah team will rely on, Paul's clutch scoring down the stretch. I can't trust Mitchell or Love to be go to guys. Paul can be that guy, but if he has Harden as defensive assignment, and Rubio guarding him, this is gonna be a dissapointment for Utah.

And forgot to mention the KCP on George thing. That's another huge mismatch. George is a legit 6'10 and has 5 inches on KCP. The Thunder's best 2 players both have big matchup advantages

GREATNESS ONE
08-02-2018, 11:13 PM
wait, we're getting peak players? lmao, I thought we were getting what is now players.

Sportfan
08-02-2018, 11:15 PM
It's for this upcoming season, but I'm expecting Love to play closer to MIN Love than CLE Love with no Lebron and Chris Paul dishing the ball

GREATNESS ONE
08-02-2018, 11:24 PM
Yea then definitely Jazz for me

mrblisterdundee
08-06-2018, 12:19 AM
Lol how Love my 2nd option when I have Donovan Mitchell? Its Paul and Mitchell as my 1A, 1B with Love as the 3rd option. Paul and Mitchell will do the playmaking and ball handling with KCP and Love providing spacing. Gobert plays the P&R game with the ball handler.

Let's see how prolific or efficient Mitchell is with George smothering him. Love is the one with all the the matchup advantages, shooting right over Tucker and all the Thunder's other forwards, while bullying them in the paint. He averaged more points per 36 minutes than Mitchell last season, while shooting significantly better from the field and from three.

Quinnsanity
08-06-2018, 01:57 AM
Let's see how prolific or efficient Mitchell is with George smothering him. Love is the one with all the the matchup advantages, shooting right over Tucker and all the Thunder's other forwards, while bullying them in the paint. He averaged more points per 36 minutes than Mitchell last season, while shooting significantly better from the field and from three.

FWIW OKC had the chance to "smother" Mitchell with George and chose not to. George is a great defender but not someone who's going to lock down a guard. At his size he doesn't have the speed or the stamina to guard Mitchell for a whole series. For a few possessions? Sure. And has George guarded ball-dominant guards for long streches? Absolutely. He owned Wade in one game of the '14 ECFs for example. But there's a reason Paul George stuck to Joe Ingles in their series IRL.

dhopisthename
08-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Harden and Georgeare the two best players on either roster and would absolutely terrorize Mitchell and Pope. Paul will get his, but he's too old to be a team's alpha. Love will get his too over Tucker, but he shouldn't even be a team's second option. Gasol can approximate Gobert's skills while hitting threes and dragging him out to the perimeter and away from the rim. Even the Thunder's bench is better.

no way is this the case like you are making it out to be. in their playoff series mitchell scored 28/7/3 on 55.5 ts% while George averaged 25/6/3 on a 54.5 ts%. This doesn't include cp3 and Gobert who both have strong cases for being better then PG and in fact I think most think cp3 is better.

Ahriman
08-07-2018, 05:59 AM
Tbh I'd have picked Jazz in most matchups but this one looks like their kryptonite. A Tucker / Gasol frontline poses great problem to Gobert as both can space the floor easily. Harden can drive and kick out pretty easily and I do not trust Mitchell & KCP as perimeter defenders.
Granted Paul is the best defender on either team but I do not think he can stop the Thunder from scoring a bunch all alone

Love would have a tough time against Tucker even with his size advantage. Tucker would come hard at him

It is by a slight margin but I think Thunder takes this one

Quinnsanity
08-07-2018, 12:45 PM
Harden and George are the two best players on either roster and would absolutely terrorize Mitchell and Pope. Paul will get his, but he's too old to be a team's alpha. Love will get his too over Tucker, but he shouldn't even be a team's second option. Gasol can approximate Gobert's skills while hitting threes and dragging him out to the perimeter and away from the rim. Even the Thunder's bench is better.

This is an interesting conversation. Here's how I'd rank them:

1. Harden
2. Paul
3. George
4. Mitchell
5. Gobert
6. Gasol
7. Love
8. Tucker
9. Rubio
10. KCP

So Thunder have 1/3/6/8/9. Jazz have 2/4/5/7/10. Before benches, that probably gives them a slight talent edge as the gap between most of these slots is very small. It's really matchup advantages that win it for OKC for me. But I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking the Jazz have more talent. In the most basic terms, you could at least say that they have four stars and OKC has three.

TO Rapz
08-07-2018, 04:40 PM
This Jazz team deserved better. :(

Congrats UTB, good luck homes.

Sportfan
08-10-2018, 01:38 PM
When is finals?