PDA

View Full Version : Body Language

Scoots
08-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Can we tell anything by body language watching the game?

Does players looking like they are having fun have any effect on them playing better?

Does players looking like they are complaining to their teammates make their teammates play worse?

I love watching players who look like they are having fun, but some arrogant players have had fun in huge losses. Team leaders acting dejected with their teammates doesn't seem likely to motivate them.

This isn't about specific players but as an example: LeBron, Draymond, Magic, Bird, and a long list of players seem to yell at teammates regularly, but they have a history of leading by example AND words so it's leadership. When a star who is not a good defender complains about "missing" help defense when their man scores it seems to deflate teammates.

I think individual body language is a player by player thing, but team wide attitude makes a big difference in overcoming a deficit.

What do you think? Can you predict anything from watching body language over a season, for several games in a row, in a single game?

WaDe03
08-01-2018, 10:45 AM
Pau Gasol has the worst body language Iíve ever seen.

Scoots
08-01-2018, 11:07 AM

His brother has some of his habits.

I think more effort has been put into LeBron's body language than any other player other. I imagine that's exhausting.

I loved watching Michael Jordan because he clearly was having fun in games, and you could tell when he decided to kill an opponent. It was always obvious.

Scoots
08-01-2018, 11:08 AM

You undoubtedly have seen more than I have, but I've always felt Wade's body language was optimistic. Even in losses he looks like he believes the next possession is going to turn the tide.

COOLbeans
08-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Jason Kidd always had very good body language. He woulda made a good Colonel or General.

WaDe03
08-01-2018, 11:16 AM
You undoubtedly have seen more than I have, but I've always felt Wade's body language was optimistic. Even in losses he looks like he believes the next possession is going to turn the tide.

Itís that championship/GOAT mindset. He may not be the best player ever but in the biggest moments heís up there and that comes from elite confidence.

WaDe03
08-01-2018, 11:18 AM
His brother has some of his habits.

I think more effort has been put into LeBron's body language than any other player other. I imagine that's exhausting.

I loved watching Michael Jordan because he clearly was having fun in games, and you could tell when he decided to kill an opponent. It was always obvious.

I had to stop watching Bulls games unless they were playing the Heat because Paus body language was so terrible. It would literally effect you through the tv lol.

Marc definitely got that from him.

Jordan knows no one is better than him so he never had any worries.

GREATNESS ONE
08-01-2018, 01:19 PM

Idk, I can agree with this but Championship Pau Gasol...whole different body language.

https://youtu.be/WjR5go5y8wk

kobe4thewinbang
08-02-2018, 01:43 AM
Kobe always had that "in the zone" body language. That's my favorite kind, see it in other players too. The Cavaliers got kind of slumpy in the playoffs the last two years. Confidence in the Warriors players. Body language is clear. I wish Lonzo had better body language. Hopefully he's not so nervous next season. Kuzma, however...

:cool:

Most of all, I think Harden definitely doesn't have a confidence issue. I think you gotta at least believe in yourself.

Did Garnett ever look demotivated? Lol... I love seeing fire in a player.

kobe4thewinbang
08-02-2018, 01:45 AM
Idk, I can agree with this but Championship Pau Gasol...whole different body language.

https://youtu.be/WjR5go5y8wkRight! When Pau is motivated or his team is doing well, he's in the zone. Remember that game against the Lakers when he was with the Bulls? That's the last time I recall him being compelled by the game action. I don't blame him for being low on the Spurs, especially given last season.

I recall one game a couple seasons back, where Pau was half-*** guarding Marc, and Marc was like "seriously, bro?" and just rose up over him and shot. Pau was doing that hand in the face crap, but not really body'ing him up or closing off his airspace.

Body language seems to be responsive to how well the team is doing overall for the season.

Scoots
08-02-2018, 01:14 PM
Body language seems to be responsive to how well the team is doing overall for the season.

At the same time, Kuzma was on a losing team and it never seemed to faze him at all. I think some players are always ready to go, always on, others get down and have to fight out of it. Klay Thompson gets mad at himself every time he misses a shot, or his guy scores ... you can see it in his face, but it's just a split second now, he doesn't stay there. Other guys, if they miss their first shot it's there all night.

WhiteShadow42
08-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Jason Kidd always had very good body language. He woulda made a good Colonel or General.

I did not see that in him. He doesn't work well with others anyway. But he did have an heir of confidence about him in his early years.

WhiteShadow42
08-02-2018, 02:26 PM
I do recall Kobe, especially in 2006-2007. When he did not even bother to shake other's hand before the game or even acknowledge them, then you knew he was going to the jug. Jordan was the same way.

In today's game, my least favorite body language player, especially on the bench is JR Smith. Dude looks like he is stoned half the time.

WhiteShadow42
08-02-2018, 02:28 PM

https://youtu.be/WjR5go5y8wk

remember the body language he had that one year in the playoffs when his girlfriend broke up with him? He looked like a good fart would knock him over. Even Phil smacked him in the chest at some point to wake his behind up.

KnicksorBust
08-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Melo's body language his last season in NY was the worst I have ever seen from a Knicks player. Every loss seemed like he would end up with a towel on his head.

TakeYourL
08-02-2018, 05:08 PM
Melo's body language his last season in NY was the worst I have ever seen from a Knicks player. Every loss seemed like he would end up with a towel on his head.

His body language was always aweful if things didn't go his way.

He's just a massively drag on the teams energy level. So many times you saw him just mopping around, and the entire team just would fall apart. Melo had no leadership skills.

ewing
08-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Idk You must have a short memory. Marbury with the towel over his head was the most miserable thing Iíve ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil Rhody
08-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Pau Gasol has the worst body language Iíve ever seen.He's a giant manfish what do you expect

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scoots
08-02-2018, 05:58 PM
I do recall Kobe, especially in 2006-2007. When he did not even bother to shake other's hand before the game or even acknowledge them, then you knew he was going to the jug. Jordan was the same way.

In today's game, my least favorite body language player, especially on the bench is JR Smith. Dude looks like he is stoned half the time.

That's just good acting ... he's stoned ALL the time.

WhiteShadow42
08-02-2018, 07:11 PM
That's just good acting ... he's stoned ALL the time.

LOL. Probably true. He thinks 94 to 95 is a tie game. (Don't exactly remember what the score was toward the end of game 1).

GREATNESS ONE
08-02-2018, 09:15 PM
remember the body language he had that one year in the playoffs when his girlfriend broke up with him? He looked like a good fart would knock him over. Even Phil smacked him in the chest at some point to wake his behind up.

Yup, ikr like someone ripped his heart out his chest. ****kng Shannon Brown... just showed him his ***** is a HO. He shouldíve been thankful, for not marrying her.

WhiteShadow42
08-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Yup, ikr like someone ripped his heart out his chest. ****kng Shannon Brown... just showed him his ***** is a HO. He shouldíve been thankful, for not marrying her.

LOL. I wonder sometimes if Pau is gay. (Not that there is anything wrong with it). I mean 10% of the population is gay, so why not in the NBA. The WNBA is a different story. I think 90% of the WNBA is gay. Which is hot!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-03-2018, 01:05 PM
In the Bucks /Celtics playoff series when Middleton hit that 3 pointer at the buzzer to force overtime for game 1. Zeller looked lost on the sidelines like he just wanted to go to the locker room already. Maybe he had to take a dump or something.

Brybmc868
08-05-2018, 07:22 PM
Tim hardaway Jr ..
His body language is horrible as well . He is constinlly frowning upon teammates for there missed assignments but yet he would be having a lack luster performance himself .
So yes I do feel like it all depends on who itís coming from ...
If a guy like Kobe gets in your face than I bet the next time down the court your arenít going to make the same mistake .
But now if a guy who just took 7 -
3 point attempts and missed every single one of them and than on the opisite side of the court gets dunked on , now if he gets in your Face than it will not have the same effect .

tredigs
08-05-2018, 08:10 PM
First fun/interesting thread I've seen on here in a minute. The guys who are the best from a body language standpoint are often the high intensity defenders, and it is absolutely contagious. Marcus Smart comes to mind off the top of my head.

Scoots
08-05-2018, 08:52 PM
First fun/interesting thread I've seen on here in a minute. The guys who are the best from a body language standpoint are often the high intensity defenders, and it is absolutely contagious. Marcus Smart comes to mind off the top of my head.

There are some irrational confidence guys too. Most of the Jazz, Warriors, Spurs, and Celtics have good body language ... maybe it's coaching, maybe it's winning.

WhiteShadow42
08-06-2018, 01:49 AM
I actually loved KGs body language, especially when he was on the Celtics. You just knew you were only scoring 80 points that night as a team. And this is coming from a Lakers fan.

WhiteShadow42
08-06-2018, 01:52 AM
There are some irrational confidence guys too. Most of the Jazz, Warriors, Spurs, and Celtics have good body language ... maybe it's coaching, maybe it's winning.

Was actually impressed by the young guys on the Celtics last year. Especially in the playoffs. You couldnít tell they were missing their two best players.