PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo: U.S. let Puerto Ricans down

mrblisterdundee
07-29-2018, 12:09 PM
Carmelo Anthony told Van Jones during an interview that the U.S. government let down Puerto Ricans, who are American citizens, in its lackluster response to Hurricane Maria. Anthony is half Puerto Rican from his father's side and has personally funded recovery efforts on the island.

"We sent, you know, airplanes down there with supplies," he said to Jones. "We had the supply stuff at the ... you know, at the port; we couldn't get in. We had to make calls and -- it was just a lot. It was just sad that we had to go through (that) ... in order to help people."
"Puerto Rico is part of this country and I just felt like the government completely turned their back, you know, to their island," Anthony added.
- Sofia Barrett and Alexandra King, CNN (https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/28/us/carmelo-anthony-puerto-rico-van-jones-cnntv/index.html)

Leftcoast_yg
07-29-2018, 12:22 PM
Carmelo Anthony told Van Jones during an interview that the U.S. government let down Puerto Ricans, who are American citizens, in its lackluster response to Hurricane Maria. Anthony is half Puerto Rican from his father's side and has personally funded recovery efforts on the island.

I bet he's getting a nice tax write off doh

mrblisterdundee
07-29-2018, 12:41 PM

Donations are tax-deductible to a certain extent, although I'm pretty sure that's not why Anthony is helping out the island where his family is from.

IndyRealist
07-29-2018, 01:06 PM

Say he sent a million dollars in supplies. Assuming it's a tax ride off, which it may not be since he may not be donating to a charity, he doesn't pay taxes on that million dollars. He still spent a million dollars. He'd be stupid not to take the tax deduction as that allows him to maximize his donations. I wish people would stop making it sound like people who donate money somehow make money or break even on donations. However much he helped, it was more than anyone here did.

IndyRealist
07-29-2018, 01:09 PM
Being in Texas, seeing the difference in federal response to Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Maria disgusts me.

Saddletramp
07-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Being in Texas, seeing the difference in federal response to Hurricane Harvey and Hurricane Maria disgusts me.

Yep. A lot of stuff here disgusts me from the state and federal level.

Chronz
07-29-2018, 01:18 PM
San juan mayor was corrupt. She's currently facing charges . People were protesting and ignoring supplies. It's not any one person's fault. The civilians take their share of the blame too. Where's the accountability the melo. Like you know whatever lol

hugepatsfan
07-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Say he sent a million dollars in supplies. Assuming it's a tax ride off, which it may not be since he may not be donating to a charity, he doesn't pay taxes on that million dollars. He still spent a million dollars. He'd be stupid not to take the tax deduction as that allows him to maximize his donations. I wish people would stop making it sound like people who donate money somehow make money or break even on donations. However much he helped, it was more than anyone here did.

Thank you!

As an accountant it's so stupid when people say "oh he did it for a tax write-off". It makes no sense. Tax deductions don't give you money. It just reduces you're tax burden some. So if you spend a million but then write it off now you're taxes will be on $1M less so you save the rate there. It's definitely material and reduces the financial impact on yourself but you're still spending, not making money.

Scoots
07-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Indeed on both counts (Harvey dumped a lot of water and wind on me but no damage). The US mistreating PR goes far beyond the hurricane though. The laws the US has forced on them is criminal and I think the only way to fix it may be to make them a state which I would absolutely support.

D-Leethal
07-29-2018, 03:09 PM
Puerto Rico has been riddled with ineptitude and corruption for a loooooong time. It took a natural disaster to shine a light on it. Puerto Rico shoulders more blame than the US Govt for the Maria debacle.

IndyRealist
07-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Puerto Rico has been riddled with ineptitude and corruption for a loooooong time. It took a natural disaster to shine a light on it. Puerto Rico shoulders more blame than the US Govt for the Maria debacle.

Puerto Rico is handicapped by it's status as a territory, so it doesn't get the same financial protections that a state does, but has all the same budgetary requirements. Lin Manuel Miranda has been talking about this for YEARS.

Chronz
07-29-2018, 04:21 PM
Puerto Rico is handicapped by it's status as a territory, so it doesn't get the same financial protections that a state does, but has all the same budgetary requirements. Lin Manuel Miranda has been talking about this for YEARS.

The light shines brighter is his point

HandsOnTheWheel
07-29-2018, 04:39 PM

This.

A lot more to this situation than Melo is making it out as.

Scoots
07-29-2018, 05:24 PM
PR has been mismanaged from within and without, but they are not to blame for being handed a loaded deck, having the rules changed from under them, and then having the building set on fire.

IndyRealist
07-29-2018, 05:25 PM
The light shines brighter is his point
Actually his point is that Puerto Rico is mostly responsible for it's problems. This is not true, short-sighted Congressional acts are mostly to blame. Congress changed their tax status requiring them to operate as a state which tanked their economy. Furthermore:

...it doesn't have access to the same bankruptcy laws that states do. So-called Chapter 9 bankruptcy was created after the Great Depression to allow cities, towns and other municipalities to address severe debt problems under a workout process overseen by the courts. Detroit is the most famous Chapter 9 bankruptcy case so far.

Puerto Rico used to have Chapter 9 bankruptcy rights, but the island lost them in the 1980s when Congress revisited this part of the bankruptcy code.

On top of that, the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 mandates that only U.S. vessels can take goods between Puerto Rico and the U.S. mainland. This increases prices on the island and makes goods produced in Puerto Rico less competitive than those coming from cheaper Caribbean nations that send goods on their own ships.

Chronz
07-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Actually his point is that Puerto Rico is mostly responsible for it's problems. This is not true, short-sighted Congressional acts are mostly to blame. Congress changed their tax status requiring them to operate as a state which tanked their economy. Furthermore:

I won't defend anything else but it's clear the focus is on maria.

IndyRealist
07-30-2018, 07:50 AM
I won't defend anything else but it's clear the focus is on maria.

That's cherry picking. You can't look at Maria in isolation and not consider why their infrastructure was terrible and their emergency response virtually nonexistent.

But for the sake of argument, let's talk just about the hurricane. This is the response to Harvey,

To the people of Texas and Louisiana, we are 100% with you, We will get through this. We will come out stronger. And believe me, we will be bigger, better, stronger than ever before. The rebuilding will begin and in the end it will be something very special

This is the reponse to Maria

I hate to tell you, Puerto Rico, but you’ve thrown our budget a little out of whack because we’ve spent a lot of money on Puerto Rico

And

We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!

See the difference?

Rivera
07-30-2018, 09:50 AM
I just left PR about a week ago, I had to go because my mom is missing. I dont want to go off topic to much but.....

This thread being 100% PR hits home and im going to do my best to try and clear some of this up.

San juan mayor was corrupt. She's currently facing charges . People were protesting and ignoring supplies. It's not any one person's fault. The civilians take their share of the blame too. Where's the accountability the melo. Like you know whatever lol

Shes become a figurehead of PR. The problem is, shes also a bit corrupt. Thats the problem in PR right now. Everything is corrupt, from the GVT to the Police, to electric companies. Everyone has some form of corruption. It got a bit worse after Maria quickly because more bribes were done to push agendas and to get their way knowing families are still hurting.

The problem with PRs corruption is theres 2 small extreme political groups. The best way to describe them is one for statehood and the other part is against state hood. I believe (I didnt fact check this so please do) the last 2 votes, PR has voted state hood. Theres 2 problems. 1) not enough turnout. The turnout has been low. 2) Republicans in the US will fight tooth and nail and NOT allow PR statehood because PR will become a blue state and its more points against the GOP in the electoral college and in congress/senate.

yes, 100% on point. PR is handicapped because of its restrictions. But in the same vein, because of the corruption, a lot of budgets gets mismanaged and money gets in the wrong hands.

Theres tons of great people on the island, tons. People are willing to give anything for their neighbors in most neighborhoods. You wont go hungry because someone will give you food. The problem is the people in power abuse it. The US needs to clean the top and restore some neighborhoods like La Perla where most cops dont set foot into.

The response to Texas was greater to those in PR. PR is a US territory. US after Maria, should have helped PR more and considered this a way to get PR back on the right track instead of letting PR figure it out on its own

Hawkeye15
07-30-2018, 10:20 AM

yep

Hawkeye15
07-30-2018, 10:21 AM
did I read FEMA was amazing in this thread?

well thats it for me. Some of you need to move to the gulf and go through one of these, and see how that wonderful organization works...

Ahriman
07-30-2018, 11:42 AM
did I read FEMA was amazing in this thread?

well thats it for me. Some of you need to move to the gulf and go through one of these, and see how that wonderful organization works...

That was a quote from Trump

Hawkeye15
07-30-2018, 12:03 PM
That was a quote from Trump

figures haha

Scoots
07-30-2018, 12:20 PM
PR was screwed WAY before Maria just piled on.

steamroller
07-30-2018, 09:44 PM
I just left PR about a week ago, I had to go because my mom is missing. I dont want to go off topic to much but.....

This thread being 100% PR hits home and im going to do my best to try and clear some of this up.

Shes become a figurehead of PR. The problem is, shes also a bit corrupt. Thats the problem in PR right now. Everything is corrupt, from the GVT to the Police, to electric companies. Everyone has some form of corruption. It got a bit worse after Maria quickly because more bribes were done to push agendas and to get their way knowing families are still hurting.

The problem with PRs corruption is theres 2 small extreme political groups. The best way to describe them is one for statehood and the other part is against state hood. I believe (I didnt fact check this so please do) the last 2 votes, PR has voted state hood. Theres 2 problems. 1) not enough turnout. The turnout has been low. 2) Republicans in the US will fight tooth and nail and NOT allow PR statehood because PR will become a blue state and its more points against the GOP in the electoral college and in congress/senate.

yes, 100% on point. PR is handicapped because of its restrictions. But in the same vein, because of the corruption, a lot of budgets gets mismanaged and money gets in the wrong hands.

Theres tons of great people on the island, tons. People are willing to give anything for their neighbors in most neighborhoods. You wont go hungry because someone will give you food. The problem is the people in power abuse it. The US needs to clean the top and restore some neighborhoods like La Perla where most cops dont set foot into.

The response to Texas was greater to those in PR. PR is a US territory. US after Maria, should have helped PR more and considered this a way to get PR back on the right track instead of letting PR figure it out on its own

LOL Carmelo can't even hit a jump shot now he wants to be a politician and solve the country's problems?

I thought the whole point of all of these third world anti-colonial struggles was for former colonies to gain or regain their freedom, yet Puerto Rico is begging to remain a colony!

Yeah, the corruption is bad, which just means that giving Puerto Rico more money means it will all go to waste. It's like no one noticed that corruption is absolutely rampant in just about every region of the world outside of northern and western Europe, it's colonies and east Asia. Even these countries have lots of corruption among it's elites.

The point is, every dime you throw their way will be an utter waste. They'll just ask for more and waste all of that too.

rhino17
07-30-2018, 11:58 PM
PR was screwed WAY before Maria just piled on.

That has nothing to do with the piss poor government response to the disaster

cmellofan15
07-31-2018, 12:12 AM
LOL Carmelo can't even hit a jump shot now he wants to be a politician and solve the country's problems?

Please tell me what qualifies you to give your opinion on the subject over Carmelo? I’m dying to know which office you’re going to be running for, Mr. Expert Sir.

steamroller
07-31-2018, 01:00 AM
Please tell me what qualifies you to give your opinion on the subject over Carmelo? I’m dying to know which office you’re going to be running for, Mr. Expert Sir.

All of these elite athletes in the NBA are college dropouts. To be honest, none of them should've been admitted to college at all. They lack any sort of academic qualifications.

Just about all of them are semi-literate, or functionally illiterate. They have a small army of handlers who take care of their everyday business.

These guys were all ghosts in classrooms anyway. They can barely read or write, much less add or subtract.

They should just shut up and dribble. In Carmelo's case, he can't really play basketball all that well these days, either, rendering him useless to society.

Puerto Rico contributes absolutely nothing to the United States. They are just an enormous tax drain and give nothing back. What are they good for anyway?

blahblahyoutoo
07-31-2018, 02:07 AM

Yup. The US needs to send supplies that open themselves or teleport it straight to needy families, bypassing the corrupt govt. the nerve of our govt to expect them to do work themselves or think that they are competent enough to.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/22431/video-shows-where-puerto-ricos-aid-went-spoiler-chase-stephens

cmellofan15
07-31-2018, 04:42 AM
All of these elite athletes in the NBA are college dropouts. To be honest, none of them should've been admitted to college at all. They lack any sort of academic qualifications.

Just about all of them are semi-literate, or functionally illiterate. They have a small army of handlers who take care of their everyday business.

These guys were all ghosts in classrooms anyway. They can barely read or write, much less add or subtract.

They should just shut up and dribble. In Carmelo's case, he can't really play basketball all that well these days, either, rendering him useless to society.

Puerto Rico contributes absolutely nothing to the United States. They are just an enormous tax drain and give nothing back. What are they good for anyway?

:laugh2: thanks for clearing that up for me. i almost cant believe I responded to such overt trolling lmao. Good for you tho, you’ll fit right in here!!

Rivera
07-31-2018, 09:26 AM

I thought the whole point of all of these third world anti-colonial struggles was for former colonies to gain or regain their freedom, yet Puerto Rico is begging to remain a colony!

Yeah, the corruption is bad, which just means that giving Puerto Rico more money means it will all go to waste. It's like no one noticed that corruption is absolutely rampant in just about every region of the world outside of northern and western Europe, it's colonies and east Asia. Even these countries have lots of corruption among it's elites.

The point is, every dime you throw their way will be an utter waste. They'll just ask for more and waste all of that too.

does it matter? seriously? does it matter? hes trying to do good for his fellow countrymen. who cares how good or bad he is at basketball. its not about solving the countrys problems. its about being a human being, showing compassion and helping any way you can

nastynice
07-31-2018, 01:33 PM

As far as the maria debacle, the US gov't as a whole should shoulder most of the blame. When Louisiana flooded some years back, it was a **** show, but at least there was an attempt at a response. This maria debacle, this was just unexcusable.

nastynice
07-31-2018, 01:35 PM
That's cherry picking. You can't look at Maria in isolation and not consider why their infrastructure was terrible and their emergency response virtually nonexistent.

But for the sake of argument, let's talk just about the hurricane. This is the response to Harvey,

This is the reponse to Maria

And

See the difference?

Maybe if people were whiter in Puerto Rico, lmaoooo

nastynice
07-31-2018, 02:00 PM

You're coming off sounding kinda inbred..

..just a heads up

steamroller
08-01-2018, 03:42 AM
does it matter? seriously? does it matter? hes trying to do good for his fellow countrymen. who cares how good or bad he is at basketball. its not about solving the countrys problems. its about being a human being, showing compassion and helping any way you can

What if everyone realizes the money will just go to waste? As in, their corrupt government would just steal it like they always have. Just read the prior posts. That's all their "government" does.

steamroller
08-01-2018, 03:43 AM
You're coming off sounding kinda inbred..

..just a heads up

LOL, yeah dude, if you acknowledge the rampant crime and violence committed by "at risk youth" you must be an inbred cracka.

Inbred cracka be racist and sheeiiiit.

nastynice
08-01-2018, 01:53 PM
LOL, yeah dude, if you acknowledge the rampant crime and violence committed by "at risk youth" you must be an inbred cracka.

Inbred cracka be racist and sheeiiiit.

Na, it just that crackaz be ignent cuzz

Speaking of acknowledging the truth..

Scoots
08-01-2018, 06:40 PM
What if everyone realizes the money will just go to waste? As in, their corrupt government would just steal it like they always have. Just read the prior posts. That's all their "government" does.

It doesn't even matter how corrupt their government is we have made it impossible to fix the situation.

steamroller
08-02-2018, 02:24 AM
It doesn't even matter how corrupt their government is we have made it impossible to fix the situation.

Agreed. Give them their independence and they can solve their own problems. We are only an impediment.

steamroller
08-02-2018, 02:26 AM
Na, it just that crackaz be ignent cuzz

Speaking of acknowledging the truth..

Dem inbred crackaz needs to gibs us mo' money, mo' GED's, mo' bikes and mo' skolarships and sheeiit cuz dat Lebrun don't be gibs us enough gibs.

IndyRealist
08-02-2018, 09:26 AM
Agreed. Give them their independence and they can solve their own problems. We are only an impediment.

We put them in the hole to begin with. It's well documented. Cutting them loose now without attempting to fix the issues first would make us morally bankrupt, self serving aholes. WE made the problem when we hamstrung them financially. They made it worse, yes.

If a bartender gets a customer drunk and the customer gets in a car accident on the way home, that bartender is liable along with the driver. This is no different.

Rivera
08-02-2018, 09:33 AM

i cleared alot of that up myself. and im puerto rican descent. I just left PR not to long ago. read my post above that was informative

Melo wasnt giving the money to the government. Melo was trying to help the people bringing his own supplies he purchased to the people. The US Govt was the one who stopped him at the ports and stopped Melos people from giving the supplies to the people that need it

this is also why the US Govt needs to step in to help US Citizens get the supplies they need make sure the money goes to the proper people and not for example, hire the Montana electrical contractors to basically suck money out of PR for a quick pay day

The US Govt is just as corrupt as any other govt, being corrupt isnt an excuse to help citizens in need after a natural disaster

Vinylman
08-02-2018, 09:57 AM
We put them in the hole to begin with. It's well documented. Cutting them loose now without attempting to fix the issues first would make us morally bankrupt, self serving aholes. WE made the problem when we hamstrung them financially. They made it worse, yes.

If a bartender gets a customer drunk and the customer gets in a car accident on the way home, that bartender is liable along with the driver. This is no different.

I agree with your first paragraph but your analogy is terrible in the second paragraph.

As for PR... they are ****ed either way... if we wipe out their debt and let them become independent they will still be ****ed because they won't want to lose their US citizenship. As far as economics... PR is nothing more than another Island stop on the cruise ship parade. They have no natural resources and most of the US based businesses will leave once they get their independence because their will be no tax incentive to manufacture their.

There is no easy solution.

IndyRealist
08-02-2018, 11:04 AM
I agree with your first paragraph but your analogy is terrible in the second paragraph.

As for PR... they are ****ed either way... if we wipe out their debt and let them become independent they will still be ****ed because they won't want to lose their US citizenship. As far as economics... PR is nothing more than another Island stop on the cruise ship parade. They have no natural resources and most of the US based businesses will leave once they get their independence because their will be no tax incentive to manufacture their.

There is no easy solution.

There's never easy solutions. But there are right ones.

PR is hamstrung by the merchant marine act, by the US tax code that changed their status and tanked their economy, by not having debt protection. We could fix all of that in Congress, we choose not to.

Right now there is no tax incentive to producing in PR, which is why so many companies left and their economy spiraled. If we made them exempt from federal taxes, businesses would go back and that'd essentially move them toward independence from the mainland. That's essentially the tax situation if they were independent anyway.

They cannot compete with their Carribean neighbors in producing cheap goods, again because of their tax status and the merchant marine act that requires all good to and from PR to go through a mainland port on a US ship. So if Jamaica wanted to buy goods from PR, a US ship, not a Jamaican one, has to go from PR to the mainland and THEN to Jamaica, instead of a Jamaican ship going from PR straight there. This soecifically damaged relief efforts because goods sent from other countries trying to help were turned away at the port, since legally it would have to go to the mainland, be unloaded, loaded onto a US ship, THEN go to PR.

They do not have federal protection to restructure their debt in court, like every state does. But they have all the financial responsibilities of a state. It's so obvious it's appalling that Congress hasn't addressed any of this. We just blame them for their problems when we're the ones that put them there.

valade16
08-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Puerto Rico's government is corrupt... uh, our President is currently under investigation for corruption and his opponent in the last Presidential election was under investigation for corruption.

Can we really throw stones at Puerto Rico's government for being corrupt?

nastynice
08-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Dem inbred crackaz needs to gibs us mo' money, mo' GED's, mo' bikes and mo' skolarships and sheeiit cuz dat Lebrun don't be gibs us enough gibs.

Dam, nice example that ignent *** cracka

It like yo mind gone full cracka mode at snap of finger. Teach me this power...

Scoots
08-02-2018, 06:05 PM

It's worse than that though ... if a bartender ties a customer to a chair and forces drinks down them while they complain and ask for it to stop, until they are so drunk they don't know which way is up, then the bartender takes them, carries them to a car, puts them in, starts the car, aims it at a playground, puts it in drive and lets it go ... thats what we did to PR.

Scoots
08-02-2018, 06:08 PM
i cleared alot of that up myself. and im puerto rican descent. I just left PR not to long ago. read my post above that was informative

Melo wasnt giving the money to the government. Melo was trying to help the people bringing his own supplies he purchased to the people. The US Govt was the one who stopped him at the ports and stopped Melos people from giving the supplies to the people that need it

this is also why the US Govt needs to step in to help US Citizens get the supplies they need make sure the money goes to the proper people and not for example, hire the Montana electrical contractors to basically suck money out of PR for a quick pay day

The US Govt is just as corrupt as any other govt, being corrupt isnt an excuse to help citizens in need after a natural disaster

I don't think steamroller is interested in being informed.

Jeffy25
08-02-2018, 07:09 PM

I thought it was all Trump's fault............

Vinylman
08-03-2018, 09:36 AM
Puerto Rico's government is corrupt... uh, our President is currently under investigation for corruption and his opponent in the last Presidential election was under investigation for corruption.

Can we really throw stones at Puerto Rico's government for being corrupt?

why not … we ***** about Russian meddling in elections when the CIA does the exact same thing all around the world... of course much worse... trying to overthrow Assad and Gaddafi for example

Hypocrisy is nothing new

valade16
08-03-2018, 11:52 AM
why not … we ***** about Russian meddling in elections when the CIA does the exact same thing all around the world... of course much worse... trying to overthrow Assad and Gaddafi for example

Hypocrisy is nothing new

Good point.

nastynice
08-03-2018, 06:54 PM

Hypocrisy is nothing new

Good point.

Bro it's a horrible point. At no point in time did we decide not to fund our own govt because of corruption. That's MY money, yours too. I never got my money back based on politicians being corrupt. Yet Puerto Rico should should be put to that standard?

It's not a good point. It's verbal bull ****