PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best 9th overall pick of all-time?

Jeffy25
07-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Our current draft

10. Paul Pierce - Celtics - 1998
11. Reggie Miller - Pacers - 1987
12. Julius Erving - Bucks (but played in ABA) - 1972
13. Kobe Bryant - Hornets (traded to Lakers) - 1996
14. Clyde Drexler - Blazers - 1983
15. Steve Nash - Suns - 1996
16. John Stockton - Jazz - 1984
17. Shawn Kemp - Sonics/Thunder - 1989
18. Joe Dumars - Pistons - 1985
19. Tiny Archibald - Royals/Kings - 1970
20. Larry Nance - Suns - 1981
21. Michael Finley - Suns - 1995
22. Norm Nixon - Lakers - 1977
23. Alex English - Bucks - 1976
24. Sam Cassell - Rockets - 1993
25. Mark Price - Mavs (traded to Cavs) - 1986
26. Vlade Divac - Lakers - 1989
27. Dennis Rodman - Pistons - 1986
28. Tony Parker - Spurs - 2001
29. Dennis Johnson - Sonics - 1976
30. Jimmy Butler - Bulls - 2011

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/draft_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=&year_max=&round_min=&round_max=&pick_overall_min=9&pick_overall_max=9&franch_id=&college_id=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&is_active=&is_hof=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ws

Some notable picks
Dirk Nowitzki
Shawn Marion
Tracy McGrady
Otis Thorpe
Amar'e Stoudemire
Andre Iguodala
Charles Oakley
Dale Ellis
Rolando Blackman
Clyde Lovellette
Reggie Theus
Derrick McKey
Joakim Noah
DeMar DeRozan
Jo Jo White
Andre Drummond
Gordon Hayward
Kemba Walker
Cliff Levingston
Clarence Weatherspoon
Rodney Rogers
Dennis Smith
Noah Vonleh
Trey Burke
Joel Pryzbilla
Jakob Poeltl
Frank Kaminsky
D.J. Augustin

mightybosstone
07-20-2018, 05:49 PM
I'm sure we'll get some McGrady voters, and I'm happy to debate it, but the vote here has to be Dirk. Nowitzki is unquestionably a top 20 all-time guy in my book.

jaydubb
07-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Arguments can be made for both dirk and tmac. I think tmac had the better peak but dirks peak was longer and longevity is better and his career wasn't derailed by injuries like tmacs was. This should be dirk imo.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jeffy25
07-20-2018, 06:04 PM
I'm going with Dirk as well. I think he is around a top 15 player of all-time.

McGrady had more talent, but that longevity is a huge separator. McGrady just couldn't stay healthy long enough.

YAALREADYKNO
07-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Dirk

basch152
07-20-2018, 06:43 PM
it's definitely dirk.

i personally believe if tmac didn't get injured so much he'd have an argument for top 5 all time, but with those injuries...

WaDe03
07-20-2018, 06:50 PM
Dirk easily. 9 has been a pretty good pick it looks like.

Jeffy25
07-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Dirk easily. 9 has been a pretty good pick it looks like.

9 on down really.

A few slots less so than others, but every spot has multiple hall of famers from this point forward (though the guys at 8 are fairly underwhelming Hall of Famers).

Lakers + Giants
07-21-2018, 03:35 AM
I saw 1 vote for Tmac, surprised it wasnt Chronz

JAZZNC
07-21-2018, 04:22 AM
I feel like these would be a lot less boring it it was "rank the top 5" for each draft selection. There is going to be some debate going forward but maybe that would have sparked more conversation.

KingstonHawke
07-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Would be Tracy if he'd of stayed healthy.

Jeffy25
07-22-2018, 05:16 PM
I thought McGrady would get more votes honestly.

ewing
07-22-2018, 06:17 PM

Even if T-Mac stayed healthy it probably would be Dirk. He is an MVP, finals MVP, and 13 time all star

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basch152
07-22-2018, 10:44 PM

i would definitely say he had a better prime. but he just had too many injuries, causing a short prime, and zero playoff success.

really makes it hard, maybe if the mavs didn't embarrass lebron tmac would have gotten more votes.

Jeffy25
07-23-2018, 12:45 PM
i would definitely say he had a better prime. but he just had too many injuries, causing a short prime, and zero playoff success.

really makes it hard, maybe if the mavs didn't embarrass lebron tmac would have gotten more votes.

I just assumed more people would choose the player that exhibited the better prime more often in this sport.

McGrady had one of the best peaks in the games history. Dirk is no slouch at all, great combo of peak and longevity. Just thought people would vote for McGrady more.

mightybosstone
07-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Where did this narrative that McGrady's peak is better than Dirk's come from? The guy had ONE fantastic, otherworldly season, and the rest of his peak was just really good. If you took the best years of McGrady and the best years of Dirk and made a top 5 list, it would be one season of Tracy and four seasons of Dirk. Hell, if you did a top 10 list, it would probably be 1-2 seasons of McGrady and 8-9 seasons of Dirk.

I'm sorry, but to the "if Tracy had stayed healthy, he would have had a better career than Dirk" people, you're just totally wrong. I loved Tracy in Houston and regularly witnessed his greatness on a nightly basis, but he had some serious holes in his game that people love to just gloss over, primarily scoring efficiency. Meanwhile Dirk is one of the all-time hyperefficient, elite scorers in the history of the game.

If a Rockets fan is telling you that a dirty Maverick is a better player than a former all-time great Rocket, you should take that as an honest, serious assessment...

Hawkeye15
07-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Where did this narrative that McGrady's peak is better than Dirk's come from? The guy had ONE fantastic, otherworldly season, and the rest of his peak was just really good. If you took the best years of McGrady and the best years of Dirk and made a top 5 list, it would be one season of Tracy and four seasons of Dirk. Hell, if you did a top 10 list, it would probably be 1-2 seasons of McGrady and 8-9 seasons of Dirk.

I'm sorry, but to the "if Tracy had stayed healthy, he would have had a better career than Dirk" people, you're just totally wrong. I loved Tracy in Houston and regularly witnessed his greatness on a nightly basis, but he had some serious holes in his game that people love to just gloss over, primarily scoring efficiency. Meanwhile Dirk is one of the all-time hyperefficient, elite scorers in the history of the game.

If a Rockets fan is telling you that a dirty Maverick is a better player than a former all-time great Rocket, you should take that as an honest, serious assessment...

McGrady's peak has grown in legend over the years, seemingly because it was used as a measure against Kobe for a while. You are spot on, take the top 5 seasons of Tracy/Dirk, and Tracy has 1 of them...

ewing
07-23-2018, 03:29 PM
I just assumed more people would choose the player that exhibited the better prime more often in this sport.

McGrady had one of the best peaks in the games history. Dirk is no slouch at all, great combo of peak and longevity. Just thought people would vote for McGrady more.

Dirk was better not just good for longer

Jeffy25
07-23-2018, 03:48 PM

Well said.

Then again, I have Dirk next to Kobe in my all-time ranks, and that has gotten me blasted in the past.

ewing
07-23-2018, 04:20 PM
Well said.

Then again, I have Dirk next to Kobe in my all-time ranks, and that has gotten me blasted in the past.

Nothing wrong with that

Jeffy25
07-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Dirk was an amazing basketball player. One of the greatest offensive weapons ever

Ever see that documentary on him working on his shot with his German coach? It was pretty awesome (I think it's on Netflix still).

Hawkeye15
07-23-2018, 04:41 PM
Ever see that documentary on him working on his shot with his German coach? It was pretty awesome (I think it's on Netflix still).

yep, it was awesome. Makes him dip and bend at super weird angles, jump from completely different shot angles, etc. Dirk is the best I have ever seen at making an off balance jumper have perfect balance by the time it leaves his fingers.

ewing
07-23-2018, 05:53 PM

No Iíll check it out though. Thxs