PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Smart Re-signs with Celtics

corky831
07-19-2018, 10:33 AM
4 yrs for 52 million per Shams

corky831
07-19-2018, 10:38 AM
Good deal IMO compared to what some of these guys have been getting like Exum. Also can help match salaries a lot easier in the future if they plan to move him.

mrblisterdundee
07-19-2018, 10:42 AM
I'm surprised he took a long-term deal rather than wait until next summer. But I guess he probably wasn't going to get the playing time to raise his value.
I've also heard that he was being dangled as part of a package for Kawhi, so it makes sense they didn't ink him until now.

numba1CHANGsta
07-19-2018, 10:46 AM
Kyrie's replacement after this season

beasted86
07-19-2018, 10:52 AM
I hope it's front loaded

WaDe03
07-19-2018, 10:54 AM

That would be Rozier.

homie564
07-19-2018, 11:11 AM
Glad heís back. I think 13-14M per was about the absolute maximum I wanted to go for him, so Iím glad we were able to get him in that range. Definitely an impact player, and also gives a moveable contract if necessary for a trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyRealist
07-19-2018, 12:20 PM
They probably could have lowballed him, I doubt he was going to get $50m from anyone else with his shooting oercentages, no matter how valuable the rest of his game is.

Silent
07-19-2018, 12:25 PM

You Getting Kyrie Now!!?

Good Signing he's there glue on D.

R. Johnson#3
07-19-2018, 12:27 PM
He should have a clause in his contract where he isnít allowed to take jump shots.

Ishkabibble
07-19-2018, 09:21 PM
They probably could have lowballed him, I doubt he was going to get $50m from anyone else with his shooting oercentages, no matter how valuable the rest of his game is.

If he had taken the qualifying offer Boston would've had to revisit this same scenario in a year when Kyrie was also a free agent. The fact that they got him for multiple years is tremendous; the cap's going up next year anyway. I would've gone up to 4/close to $60M for Smart because I'm pretty confident supreme-defending 6'4" 230 lb. PG's don't grow on trees. As it is Smart still shoots 75% from the FT line and if he can avoid these 2-13 bottom out games he might be OK from the field. He's only 24 and all of that can be improved. What couldn't be replaced is the hustle and dirty work and how much Stevens and his teammates appreciate what he does. To me, he's one of those sneaky difference-making players on a championship club.

GiantsSwaGG
07-19-2018, 09:40 PM
Overpaid

IndyRealist
07-19-2018, 10:00 PM
If he had taken the qualifying offer Boston would've had to revisit this same scenario in a year when Kyrie was also a free agent. The fact that they got him for multiple years is tremendous; the cap's going up next year anyway. I would've gone up to 4/close to $60M for Smart because I'm pretty confident supreme-defending 6'4" 230 lb. PG's don't grow on trees. As it is Smart still shoots 75% from the FT line and if he can avoid these 2-13 bottom out games he might be OK from the field. He's only 24 and all of that can be improved. What couldn't be replaced is the hustle and dirty work and how much Stevens and his teammates appreciate what he does. To me, he's one of those sneaky difference-making players on a championship club.

Like I said, the rest of his skillset is extremely valuable. If you could get him to stop shooting and play an Andre Roberson type role, he'd be worth the money.

hugepatsfan
07-19-2018, 10:26 PM
Like I said, the rest of his skillset is extremely valuable. If you could get him to stop shooting and play an Andre Roberson type role, he'd be worth the money.

Itís important he takes enough shots to be respected. JVG kept saying in the CLE series how even though Smart shoots bad percentages teams rotate to him. Thatís absolutely critical to floor spacing. Smart is a bad shooter but heís still someone that you have to semi pay attention to. Teams donít just ignore him from the outside. Heís not a bad enoigjbshooter where he should become a non shooter. Unless youíre straight dreadful from outside a bad shooter is usually better than a non shooter.

LOb0
07-19-2018, 11:00 PM

Overpaid

We really needed a mid range contract for trade purposes. If AD becomes available this makes it so much easier.

IndyRealist
07-19-2018, 11:02 PM
We really needed a mid range contract for trade purposes. If AD becomes available this makes it so much easier.

This I buy 100%

steamroller
07-20-2018, 12:47 AM
An enormous sum of money for. a very mediocre player.

PAOboston
07-20-2018, 08:40 AM
I'd say Smart's contract is fair by NBA standards. Exum got $11 per and I think Smart is a better/more valuable player than he is. Also gives the Cs a good contract for salary matching purposes in trades.

Smart has developed into a good floor general coming off the bench as a 6th man, is super versatile, and is incredibly good defensively. His shooting leaves a lot to be desired at times (or at least his shot selection for sure) but with one of Kyrie/GH being in the floor with Smart this season maybe that sort of corrects itself.

He's the C's team leader as well and is respected by his teammates so glad management took care of one if the homegrown guys. I think it sends good message to rest of the players that owners are in it to compete with these guys.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

KnicksorBust
07-20-2018, 08:54 AM
In theory this is the type of contract that is easy to mock. He can't crack 40% from the field and he is a bench player. Why did he get $50 million? But I still feel like the Celtics made the right move here for 2 simple reasons:

#1.) Lobo brought up the mid-range contract. I believe they had no players between like $7 mill and $25 mill or something ridiculous so it does make that big trade a lot more feasible.
#2.) This is purely my gut call as a coach and I am open to being corrected by any Celtics fan that knows better than me... but... he really seems like the type of player that will kill himself in practice going 100% and taking every drill seriously. He's the type of player that takes the intensity and effort of the whole team and raises it to another level. Just my gut from watching how he plays in games.

Ishkabibble
07-20-2018, 10:01 AM

I've read where Stevens repeatedly tells Smart "if you stop shooting the ball I will sit you down." Part of what makes Stevens such an outstanding young coach. Smart's not gonna gain (or maintain) confidence if he's never looking for his shot. And then there's the element of keeping the defense honest. They have to know he's at least willing to take the shot. And it's not like Smart is incapable of hitting a three or a runner in the lane. If he could just avoid the 2-12 games it'd help his percentages mightily. But the bottom line is he'll never be a great scorer; you're paying him for everything else he brings to the court.

Ishkabibble
07-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Yeah, until yesterday Boston had no contracts between Kyrie at $20.1M and Jayson Tatum at $6.7M.

Vinylman
07-20-2018, 10:06 AM
The AAV is fine on this deal... the years are an overpay

Ishkabibble
07-20-2018, 10:31 AM

I don't understand. What NBA team doesn't want its players under contract for the primes of their career? It's four years, not seven. And for Smart it'll be between the ages of 24-27. Afraid he's gonna start physically breaking down at 26 or something?

Vinylman
07-20-2018, 12:20 PM
I don't understand. What NBA team doesn't want its players under contract for the primes of their career? It's four years, not seven. And for Smart it'll be between the ages of 24-27. Afraid he's gonna start physically breaking down at 26 or something?

harder to move... there is no way he is in Boston beyond this year.

Again, the market is the market. In all honesty if he wasn't in Stephens system he probably isn't getting more than 2 / $22 million

D-Leethal
07-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Doesn't seem like a very Boston thing to do - give him that contract when he clearly wasn't going to get anything near that on the open market. I guess he probably told them there is no way he returns if they make him pick up his option and be a UFA next year. Seems like they caved a bit here. But he is clearly a valuable player for them.

ZH721
07-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Doesn't seem like a very Boston thing to do - give him that contract when he clearly wasn't going to get anything near that on the open market. I guess he probably told them there is no way he returns if they make him pick up his option and be a UFA next year. Seems like they caved a bit here. But he is clearly a valuable player for them.

Nah. He easily wouldíve gotten this next year. Since Boston could match this year, some teams didnít bother.

Leftcoast_yg
07-20-2018, 01:17 PM
I disagree with posters stating Smart got overpaid. He a big reason why they got far in the playoffs. A pit bull on both ends.

Silent
07-20-2018, 01:25 PM
An enormous sum of money for. a very mediocre player.

For what he does he Boston got a steal.

I disagree with posters stating Smart got overpaid. He a big reason why they got far in the playoffs. A pit bull on both ends.

Me And LC don't agree much but this time he 100% spot on

Ishkabibble
07-20-2018, 02:05 PM
harder to move... there is no way he is in Boston beyond this year.

Again, the market is the market. In all honesty if he wasn't in Stephens system he probably isn't getting more than 2 / $22 million

Bull. That Exum character got 3/$33M and Smart's undeniably a better player that that guy.
I do agree that he likely fits better in Boston's system and with their current roster than he would with others.

WaDe03
07-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Vinylman is getting ****ing destroyed in here, good lord!!!

steamroller
07-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Bull. That Exum character got 3/$33M and Smart's undeniably a better player that that guy.
I do agree that he likely fits better in Boston's system and with their current roster than he would with others.

Exum is a joke. At best he's a marginal rotation player. Smart's a solid rotational player.

Problem is, you've got a below average and at best, a slightly above average player commanding $11-$13 million salaries. Mainly based on potential, and both have very limited potential, except as high energy defenders who can't hit the broad side of a barn.

ZH721
07-20-2018, 06:03 PM
Exum is a joke. At best he's a marginal rotation player. Smart's a solid rotational player.

Problem is, you've got a below average and at best, a slightly above average player commanding $11-$13 million salaries. Mainly based on potential, and both have very limited potential, except as high energy defenders who can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Smart is only 24 years old until next March. Heís already one of the best defenders in the league and is a solid ball handler. Itís already a good contract. If he improves his efficiency (very possible since heís so young), it will be a great contract.

steamroller
07-20-2018, 09:21 PM
Smart is only 24 years old until next March. Heís already one of the best defenders in the league and is a solid ball handler. Itís already a good contract. If he improves his efficiency (very possible since heís so young), it will be a great contract.

How could he get any worse? He's shooting 36% from the field, 29% from 3's and has a ts% of 48%. I suppose there are worse, but he's very close to being the worst shooter among rotation players in the nba. Fake Play from dawstv could probably shoot better.

Oakmont_4
07-21-2018, 10:13 AM
In theory this is the type of contract that is easy to mock. He can't crack 40% from the field and he is a bench player. Why did he get $50 million? But I still feel like the Celtics made the right move here for 2 simple reasons:

#1.) Lobo brought up the mid-range contract. I believe they had no players between like $7 mill and $25 mill or something ridiculous so it does make that big trade a lot more feasible.
#2.) This is purely my gut call as a coach and I am open to being corrected by any Celtics fan that knows better than me... but... he really seems like the type of player that will kill himself in practice going 100% and taking every drill seriously. He's the type of player that takes the intensity and effort of the whole team and raises it to another level. Just my gut from watching how he plays in games.

This is spot on. Smart is a huge reason this team had a top NBA defense last year. He may come off the bench but he plays starter minutes. He's all hustle and heart and he has no ego as far as PT or coming off the bench or helping other guys out and progress their games. Championship teams need guys like this.

I'll take Smart for $50M all day over LaVine for $80M

Vinylman
07-21-2018, 11:08 AM
Vinylman is getting ****ing destroyed in here, good lord!!!

still butt hurt over your lover Schroeder I see...

Vinylman
07-21-2018, 11:10 AM

rationalize a marginal deal with a horrid deal...

solid logic

Rivera
07-21-2018, 11:10 AM

as Jabari Parker said, no one pays for defense. He wasnt lying LOL

Rivera
07-21-2018, 11:12 AM
Great contract TBH. Hard worker, very passionate, sets the tone for the Cs, great culture guy, dude makes winning plays regardless of how streaky his shooting can get. I agree this is the max for smart and Boston got him at the right price. Especially with Kyrie and Roziers contract ending next season.

Marcus Smart is the embodiment of what the Cs were last season. Tough, physical, scrappy, plays with heart. That is Marcus Smart

hugepatsfan
07-21-2018, 11:21 AM
I wouldnít call this a great contract at all. $8-10M I think would be a great deal. $10-12M would have been alright. $13M is a bit of an overpayment but makes sense considering the lack of ways to replace him, Bostonís status as a contender and the intangibles to team attitude/chemistry that he brings. Thereís also some potential untapped ability of he ever did improve his shooting even marginally. Itís an ok deal.

Vinylman
07-21-2018, 11:31 AM
I wouldnít call this a great contract at all. $8-10M I think would be a great deal. $10-12M would have been alright. $13M is a bit of an overpayment but makes sense considering the lack of ways to replace him, Bostonís status as a contender and the intangibles to team attitude/chemistry that he brings. Thereís also some potential untapped ability of he ever did improve his shooting even marginally. Itís an ok deal.

solid reasoning... like I said on this deal the only thing I didn't like is the years Ö the AAV is fine

if it was one less year and the AAV was the same I would put it in the "good deal" category

Forever35
07-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Besides reporting in at a certain weight, I wonder what the other incentives are...??? Wonder if 3pt% is one of them... Only Baynes had a worse % behind the arc last season...

steamroller
07-22-2018, 11:00 PM
It's the reality of the new cap. Teams are required to spend $100 million. That means the top 6 guys on contenders are going to get paid enormous sums of money.

basch152
07-23-2018, 06:45 AM
i swear to god, why do people keep acting like the salaray cap hasn't been skyrocketing the last few years and isn't expected to keep going up.

13 million isn't the same it was just 5 years ago.

Oakmont_4
07-23-2018, 07:47 AM

It's great in regards to him coming back and the ability to add a mid level contract to our team. We currently have no contracts between $6M-$20M so this is huge for trade flexibility going forward.

Any deal would be better if it were for less money and years. So obviously we'd rather pay him 2/$24M but that just doesn't seem realistic. It's also nice to not have to return to the negotiation table next year when the cap goes up another $8M and teams have more money to throw around.

I'm giving Smart less than a 50% chance he finishes this current deal in green.

Ishkabibble
07-23-2018, 11:58 AM
I'll stick with Ainge and his basketball understanding over us jamokes. If he believes Smart is worth 4/$52M that's good enough for me.
But hey, that's not to suggest Vinyl doesn't know more more about the inner-workings of the NBA than Ainge. Mesuspects Danny don't know squat about AAV's. Or talent evaluation.

Vinylman
07-23-2018, 12:32 PM
It's the reality of the new cap. Teams are required to spend $100 million. That means the top 6 guys on contenders are going to get paid enormous sums of money.

solid logic for a team already at $115 million in total salaries before this deal.

steamroller
07-25-2018, 02:28 PM
solid logic for a team already at $115 million in total salaries before this deal.

They made it to G7 of the ECF WITHOUT Kyrie and Hayward. This team is worth keeping together for another run. They have a fantastic chance assuming the team stays healthy. A strong bench will definitely help come playoff time. As GS ages out, Kyrie and Hayward will still be in their prime and their younger players will be just reaching theirs.

Ainge is about as cold blooded as it gets so I trust his judgement more than with other GM's. Having said that, it's definitely strange to see guys who can't shoot making $11 to $13 mil per.

Vinylman
07-25-2018, 02:30 PM
They made it to G7 of the ECF WITHOUT Kyrie and Hayward. This team is worth keeping together for another run. They have a fantastic chance assuming the team stays healthy. A strong bench will definitely help come playoff time. As GS ages out, Kyrie and Hayward will still be in their prime and their younger players will be just reaching theirs.

Ainge is about as cold blooded as it gets so I trust his judgement more than with other GM's. Having said that, it's definitely strange to see guys who can't shoot making $11 to $13 mil per.

no one was talking about whether they should keep the team together or whether they are good...

you said they had to hit the floor... that isn't why they did it

reread your post I quoted

WaDe03
07-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Absolute massacre.

steamroller
07-25-2018, 02:44 PM
no one was talking about whether they should keep the team together or whether they are good...

you said they had to hit the floor... that isn't why they did it

reread your post I quoted

No the c's in particular didn't need to sign him to meet the minimum, but the NBA culture is different. The players union has a lot more leverage than the nfl, and for reasons I don't fully understand, owners and gm's kowtow to players to a degree which often leaves me bewildered.

Yes, there was a cap spike a couple of seasons ago, but even after, players are being signed to enormous deals when it's completely unnecessary.

Anyway, I'm not privy to the actual books of nba teams so I don't know how much they're making, but assuming official knowledge is correct, teams should be looking to avoid taxes considering how burdensome but so many teams go over the cap anyway, it's hard to explain.

WaDe03
07-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Vinylman have PTSD from the Boston Massacre with the way steamroller is going at him.

Let me grab my popcorn!

steamroller
07-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Boston's in great shape going forward. It'd be nice to see a serious challenger to GS. I don't think we'll see a great rivalry prime vs prime between Boston and GS. It's more likely the Celtics catch the warriors on their way down.

I don't know if I wanted HOU to beat the warriors. Draymond is an utter lowlife, but the ridiculous floppin antics of Hardon and Sheepsh+t3 were just too much for me.

I think I can root for Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge as a staff+ front office. Ainge strikes me as a little too sociopathic but considering how many GM's give out $100 mil contracts as if they were cotton candy treats, he may not be all that bad for the league.

Vinylman
07-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Vinylman have PTSD from the Boston Massacre with the way steamroller is going at him.

Let me grab my popcorn!

lololololol still butt hurt over your boy Schroeder...

come at me dude... you never have anything and you are embarrassing yourself post by post...

and fwiw... your trolling needs work... you don't even understand what is being talked about in here

maybe you need to get your eyes checked

Vinylman
07-25-2018, 05:37 PM
No the c's in particular didn't need to sign him to meet the minimum, but the NBA culture is different. The players union has a lot more leverage than the nfl, and for reasons I don't fully understand, owners and gm's kowtow to players to a degree which often leaves me bewildered.

Yes, there was a cap spike a couple of seasons ago, but even after, players are being signed to enormous deals when it's completely unnecessary.

Anyway, I'm not privy to the actual books of nba teams so I don't know how much they're making, but assuming official knowledge is correct, teams should be looking to avoid taxes considering how burdensome but so many teams go over the cap anyway, it's hard to explain.

As I have said repeatedly in this thread... the AAV isn't a big deal... the number of years is though and while some of the Boston fans have pointed out that it provides a medium size contract to include in trades I still think it will be hard to get someone to take 4 years of smart in any deal.

Where Boston has trouble is if they lose someone like kyrie next summer they really can't back fill in FA because they will still be close to the cap even if he leaves.

steamroller
07-25-2018, 09:55 PM
I'll just roll with Ainge on this one. He's a better GM than I am lol.

I thought the D'Antoni signing was a weak choice and the Rockets almost went to the finals.

WaDe03
07-26-2018, 10:53 AM
lololololol still butt hurt over your boy Schroeder...

come at me dude... you never have anything and you are embarrassing yourself post by post...

and fwiw... your trolling needs work... you don't even understand what is being talked about in here

maybe you need to get your eyes checked

Absolutely destroyed.

Vinylman
07-26-2018, 11:41 AM
Absolutely destroyed.

talk about horrible trolling

step up your game dude...

WaDe03
07-26-2018, 11:44 AM
talk about horrible trolling

step up your game dude...

De........stroyed dude.

Vinylman
07-26-2018, 11:54 AM
De........stroyed dude.

ineffective trolling... not surprised considering your background... there is a reason the world works the way it does

WaDe03
07-26-2018, 12:00 PM
ineffective trolling... not surprised considering your background... there is a reason the world works the way it does

No itís effective, you are so upset right now. Sitting behind your computer with your blood boiling. I couldnít even imagine.

The world definitely works well enough for me!l, Iíve been blessed!

Vinylman
07-26-2018, 12:06 PM
No itís effective, you are so upset right now. Sitting behind your computer with your blood boiling. I couldnít even imagine.

The world definitely works well enough for me!l, Iíve been blessed!

knew you wouldn't get it...

as for me... I am enjoying this... sitting in an airport waiting for my flight to take offf

WaDe03
07-26-2018, 01:13 PM
knew you wouldn't get it...

as for me... I am enjoying this... sitting in an airport waiting for my flight to take offf

You going on vacation or a business trip?

ZH721
07-26-2018, 01:17 PM

Locking someone up in the prime years of their career?

Holy **** that makes no sense lol. The Celtics will be over the cap for several years anyway so it made sense to bring him back.

ZH721
07-26-2018, 01:19 PM

Let me grab my popcorn!

Vinylman has to be a troll. Literally every take he has goes against reality.