PDA

View Full Version : Woj/Shams report Kawhi to Toronto UPDATE: Deal Done. Kawhi/Green for DeRozen/Poeltl

Pages : [1] 2 3

KB24PG16
07-18-2018, 04:37 AM

The Toronto Raptors are finalizing a deal to acquire San Antonio Spurs star Kawhi Leonard in a trade package that includes All-Star DeMar DeRozan, league sources told ESPN.

An agreement in principle could be reached as soon as Wednesday, league sources said.

Leonard and DeRozan are both aware that an agreement could be imminent, and neither is expressing enthusiasm for the deal, league sources said.

Toronto and San Antonio have been talking about the trade for two weeks, and several incarnations of packages have been discussed, league sources said.

Sources close to DeRozan told ESPN's Chris Haynes that DeRozan met with Toronto brass in Las Vegas during summer league and was told he would not be traded.

Leonard has been clear that he plans to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers in free agency next summer, so Raptors president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri is taking a significant risk in pursuing the trade.

Leonard was led to believe by management that he would not be traded, sources told Haynes.

DeRozan has three years and $83 million left on his contract, including an Early Termination Option for the 2020-21 season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24126943/san-antonio-spurs-toronto-raptors-finalizing-deal-involving-kawhi-leonard-demar-derozan

KB24PG16
07-18-2018, 04:39 AM

potential snag

KB24PG16
07-18-2018, 04:43 AM
demar on IG looking upset about potential deal

Saddletramp
07-18-2018, 05:03 AM
Why would Tor trade for KL when he has no desire and has constantly cried about playing in LA to make his uncle happy? Do they just want to get rid of DD that bad?

KB24PG16
07-18-2018, 05:08 AM
demar derozan upset because according to rachel nichols he met with the raps FO in las vegas during summer league and was he would not be traded.
if the kawhi trade falls apart its gonna tough for toronto to repair that burned bridge

Lakers + Giants
07-18-2018, 05:16 AM
:clap:

Heediot
07-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Why would Tor trade for KL when he has no desire and has constantly cried about playing in LA to make his uncle happy? Do they just want to get rid of DD that bad?

Take that risk, the status quo is a high end treadmill team, not legit contender.

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 05:37 AM
Yeah unlike most Rap fans I absolutely love DeMar but he just can't be relied on come playoff time. This year he had his handful of big games but had more subpar performances than great ones. It's going to hurt losing him but we need that change. I just hope we aren't giving OG AND Poeltl.

kobe4thewinbang
07-18-2018, 06:22 AM
LOL... this totally comes across as "Yeah, signing DeRozan was a mistake."

I still like DeRozan but he has underwhelmed. Kawhi can be as much of a scorer and he's much better at 3PT shooting, and of course his defense. Could make Toronto relevant again, but Leonard probably isn't too happy going to a team that just fired its coach and only has Kyle Lowry outside of a bunch of new guys and nobody wants Valancunias.

For the Spurs, I mean, I guess DeRozan would be nice. His "Kobe lite" ISO style doesn't really fit the Spur-fection ball movement. It will be nice to have a scorer back in San Antonio though, but I don't know. Hopefully Popovich and co. have an idea of how to use DeMarr in that system.

:shrug:

Weird trade, really.

KnicksorBust
07-18-2018, 06:24 AM
Surprised the spurs want demar

PAOboston
07-18-2018, 06:35 AM
This is kind of a good deal for SA imo. You get rid of a disgruntled guy that you've gotten nothing from in 2 years and get an all star type player back under contract for reasonable money for 3 years plus other stuff.

Big risk for Toronto but I get they need to take a risk as their current path has been going no where. It's basically swing for the fences, see how it goes, and then blow it up if it doesn't go well.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Mell413
07-18-2018, 06:42 AM
I thought it made sense for Toronto to take a run at Kawhi, but giving up DeRozan is a lot for a rental. If they just want to dump DD I can somewhat get it, but he's too good player to be a salary dump. If the Spurs are trading Kawhi they should be getting younger guys/picks so they can rebuild. DD doesn't do much for them.

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 06:56 AM
Look out Lavar, you aren't the only one who can wish something into existence!

Woohoo mother****er

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

warfelg
07-18-2018, 07:19 AM
Wow. Neither side seems happy at all.

corky831
07-18-2018, 07:25 AM
Happy about this move, glad it's finally going to be over. DeRozan used to kill the Celtics too

SiteWolf
07-18-2018, 07:33 AM
Is SA trading one disgruntled player with a year left on his contract for an about to be disgruntled player with 3?
And is it really worth it for Toronto for what will most likely be a one and done?

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 07:35 AM
Is SA trading one disgruntled player with a year left on his contract for an about to be disgruntled player with 3?
And is it really worth it for Toronto for what will most likely be a one and done?

i don't care about their problems but yeah mother****er yeah!

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 07:36 AM

Honestly, it is. DeMar gets better every year but come playoff time he reverts back to muscle memory. Just as long as we arenít giving them two of our young guys with DeMar. Canít be heavily mortgaging the present and future of the team.

goingfor28
07-18-2018, 07:36 AM
DD must be pissed. LeBron finally leaves the east...and so does he lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

warfelg
07-18-2018, 07:39 AM

Yea I don't really get that.

Unless Toronto is pulling "one last run" and using the possibility of Kawhi walking as an excuse to then cut losses with Lowry and Ibaka. But, as I'm hearing other people put it, why after years of only one singular guy stopping you would you fold after he left? Like a move like this makes more sense last offseason not this offseason.

On the flip side, there was never a peep when Philly was a possibility, but there were whispers that if Kawhi got traded somewhere he didn't want to be, he would sit out the year. Does he actually go through with that?

IndyRealist
07-18-2018, 07:47 AM
This is an optics trade for both teams. The Spurs get an "all-star" for their top 5 player, the Raptors get out from under DeRozan and if Kawhi leaves, it's his fault not the team's.

Basketball-wise, love it for Toronto, meh for Spurs. DeRozan isn't bad, pre se, but it's the additional pieces that will determine how well they did.

Jayb587
07-18-2018, 07:49 AM
Horrible trade for the raps. Should have traded lowry not ddr.

IndyRealist
07-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Wow. Neither side seems happy at all.

Well Kawhi put them in a sh** position. Saying "I'll only go to one place" practically kills your chances of actually getting there without free agency.

likemystylez
07-18-2018, 08:02 AM

I think there were people that said Paul George to OKC was a one and done situation too. Looks more like a 5 and maybe more deal. and George had expressed interest in going to the lakers for atleast 2 yrs.... Leonard has just started expressing this interest over the last 2 months maybe (although ive still never seen any direct quotes or soundbites from kawai about the lakers or anything he feels about his current situation)

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 08:06 AM
This is an optics trade for both teams. The Spurs get an "all-star" for their top 5 player, the Raptors get out from under DeRozan and if Kawhi leaves, it's his fault not the team's.

Basketball-wise, love it for Toronto, meh for Spurs. DeRozan isn't bad, pre se, but it's the additional pieces that will determine how well they did.

exactly. they aren't losing much in Derozan, his contribution can be replaced if not by a single individual but by distributing opportunities more amongst the group. but what else of the group are they giving up. until i know that i have to say this is the best day in history.

PAOboston
07-18-2018, 08:08 AM

Basketball-wise, love it for Toronto, meh for Spurs. DeRozan isn't bad, pre se, but it's the additional pieces that will determine how well they did.I think this was best case scenario for the Spurs. They add an All-NBA/all star type player signed long term to a team that made the playoffs last year. Spurs were not going to make a rebuilding trade as long as Pop is there. This extends that window for another couple of years. Glad they didn't cave and send him to LA in a bad deal. Got the best deal/player they could.

koldjerky
07-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Hypothetically, can Toronto trade KL right away?

My thought is maybe they know he doesnít want to play there so their whole plan is to trade him to the Lakers or some other team out west that SA wasnít trading to unless for a kings ransom.

Essentially getting out of DDs contract and acquiring young players for a guy that doesnít even want to be there.

Now if that canít happen, disregard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pebloemer
07-18-2018, 08:11 AM
Masai has said publicly often that he is in it to win a championship. He has no interest in being a treadmill team.

DeMar is very loyal. He has contributed a ton to the basketball culture we now have and it will be tough to watch him leave. But he is also just good enough, healthy enough and competitive enough that it is hard to rebuild with him on the team. Take the risk for a single year and then rebuild properly if (or when) Leonard leaves.

The big question for me - how many young players are going with DeMar and which ones are they?

pebloemer
07-18-2018, 08:13 AM

My thought is maybe they know he doesnít want to play there so their whole plan is to trade him to the Lakers or some other team out west that SA wasnít trading to unless for a kings ransom.

Essentially getting out of DDs contract and acquiring young players for a guy that doesnít even want to be there.

They can trade him right away if they want to. Could be a part of the equation.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-18-2018, 08:18 AM
Yeah unlike most Rap fans I absolutely love DeMar but he just can't be relied on come playoff time. This year he had his handful of big games but had more subpar performances than great ones. It's going to hurt losing him but we need that change. I just hope we aren't giving OG AND Poeltl.

My guess is OG will be in the trade. Maybe something like DD,OG and a pick for Kawhi and Mills.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 08:18 AM

SA would have interest in Lowry..

warfelg
07-18-2018, 08:19 AM
I think what makes sense with this is Pops tends to go with the opposite of what the other WC teams do. Teams slow down, Spurs speed up. Teams speed up, Spurs slow down.

Murray
DeRozen
OG
Gay
Aldridge

That's certainly a 'slow ball' lineup.

What I don't get for Toronto is, who's the starting SG? Van Vleet? Who's the backup C? What's the plan if Kawhi walks on you? Are you under the cap to sign someone, or are you cutting your losses on some guys?

warfelg
07-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Deal is done:

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 08:20 AM
exactly. they aren't losing much in Derozan, his contribution can be replaced if not by a single individual but by distributing opportunities more amongst the group. but what else of the group are they giving up. until i know that i have to say this is the best day in history.

Having a guy that can give you 20+ a night and get to the line better than anyone not named Harden is a quality that isnít easily replaceable. People zero in on DeMarís inability to shoot the 3 but outside of that the dude is a Swiss Army knife when it comes to scoring the basketball.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-18-2018, 08:21 AM
They can trade him right away if they want to. Could be a part of the equation.

If Kawhi does get shipped again to Lakers from Raptors. Does Kawhi have to be traded solo? Curious what Raptors want from Lakers if they re-flip Kawhi. Hart and Kuzma and Deng for Kawhi? Doubt Raptors want Ball since they got Lowry yet.

pebloemer
07-18-2018, 08:22 AM
I think what makes sense with this is Pops tends to go with the opposite of what the other WC teams do. Teams slow down, Spurs speed up. Teams speed up, Spurs slow down.

Murray
DeRozen
OG
Gay
Aldridge

What I don't get for Toronto is, who's the starting SG? Van Vleet? Who's the backup C? What's the plan if Kawhi walks on you? Are you under the cap to sign someone, or are you cutting your losses on some guys?

Raptors got strong play from Delon Wright last year and Norman Powell's extension just kicks in. Role players mind you. CJ Miles is also a prolific 3pt shooter and can play SG. The possibility of another contract heading Toronto's way shouldn't be dismissed either.

Ibaka and JV have been horrible together defensively and word is they much prefer Ibaka at the 5 at this point in his career. Jakob Poeltl emerged as possibly our best rim protector last year. If anything, we need to trade a C.

If Kawhi leaves it is time to rebuild (IMO) with Philly and Boston trending.

Raps are over the tax.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 08:23 AM

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-18-2018, 08:23 AM

Murray
DeRozen
OG
Gay
Aldridge

If Kawhi pouts i'm sure Raptors trade him to Lakers for two or three kids and Deng.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 08:25 AM

This is what I heard last week when I said Toronto was looking like a legit candidate in the other thread. It was damn near done, but Toronto wasn't 100%, had questions about his health, etc...

Personally, I thought they might wait to see Kawhi play with team USA to see how he performed

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 08:25 AM

Murray
DeRozen
OG
Gay
Aldridge

Maybe Danny Green is included. Hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 08:26 AM
I think this was best case scenario for the Spurs. They add an All-NBA/all star type player signed long term to a team that made the playoffs last year. Spurs were not going to make a rebuilding trade as long as Pop is there. This extends that window for another couple of years. Glad they didn't cave and send him to LA in a bad deal. Got the best deal/player they could.

Agreed

warfelg
07-18-2018, 08:27 AM
This is what I heard last week when I said Toronto was looking like a legit candidate in the other thread. It was damn near done, but Toronto wasn't 100%, had questions about his health, etc...

Personally, I thought they might wait to see Kawhi play with team USA to see how he performed

From what I heard from Philly reporters is the deal came down to taking Pau Gasol and 1 other contract from SAS, as well as what SAS were getting back. From the Sixers guys, it sounded like we were willing to take Pau to make it work, but they (Sixers) refused to put in Fultz if they had to take the other player.

Woj also reporting this deal is a lot bigger than what most think it is, and Kawhi/DDR are just the headliners.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 08:28 AM

My man crush right there, and I would hate to see him on a team I hate.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 08:31 AM
From what I heard from Philly reporters is the deal came down to taking Pau Gasol and 1 other contract from SAS, as well as what SAS were getting back. From the Sixers guys, it sounded like we were willing to take Pau to make it work, but they (Sixers) refused to put in Fultz if they had to take the other player.

Woj also reporting this deal is a lot bigger than what most think it is, and Kawhi/DDR are just the headliners.

Initially, I thought Philly would give in. Be interesting to see what happens, but they showed lots of confidence in Fultz.

And yea, they're informing the other players before it's released. Gotta respect that

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 08:33 AM
My man crush right there, and I would hate to see him on a team I hate.

Haha.. he and Kawhi on the perimeter were great to watch man. It's unfortunate, but it'd be a good get for Toronto.

Jamiecballer
Having a guy that can give you 20+ a night and get to the line better than anyone not named Harden is a quality that isnít easily replaceable. People zero in on DeMarís inability to shoot the 3 but outside of that the dude is a Swiss Army knife when it comes to scoring the basketball.

right, well we can focus on his unique qualities but don't cloud you judgement by focusing on the things that are not particularly relevant. his contribution on the offensive end can absolutely be replaced as opportunities filter to others. the free throw part doesn't make a difference. he's an ok player, playing and being paid like a superstar. he's Carmelo Jr. i could not be happier.

MILLERHIGHLIFE

Or Mills.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Or Mills.

Possibly, but it was more in reference to the question who would start at SG. I know Patty has, but he's really been best as a 6th man, spark off the bench.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Initially, I thought Philly would give in. Be interesting to see what happens, but they showed lots of confidence in Fultz.

And yea, they're informing the other players before it's released. Gotta respect that

All honesty here with Philly:
When Boston was a potential destination, we heard he had no interest in staying there.
When Denver/other WC teams were brought up, we heard he really prefers LA.
When the story dropped of Toronto was in the lead, right away we heard he wasn't happy at all.

When Philly was the team that it looked like they could be the winners.....crickets. No complaints, no stories of he didn't like it, nothing.

I think him and his uncle (from NJ halfway between NYC and Philly) were okay with him being a Sixer.

So from the Sixers standpoint, knowing that (and it's been reported by some Philly writers that the uncle and Brett have a good relationship because of how Brett treated Kawhi his rookie year); you know (like the Lakers) that you wouldn't want to give up that potential in Fultz if you feel you can get a meeting with him in 2019 offseason.

I mean no homering it up here from either side, but if you hit the 2019 offseason and LAL and Sixers both come calling, looking at rosters of:
Ball, Ingram, Bron, Kuz, Hart (I think that's all they have under contract next year)
OR
Simmons, Embiid, Saric, Covington, Fultz, Smith

I think it really comes down to who develops. Because if Fultz shows something and Simmons increases range, that's a real great fit, and you slide into a natural spot on that team. I think with the Lakers, it comes to how much does Bron cede having to have the ball, how those other guys play off ball, and who's playing out of position in a way that makes you comfortable.

mightybosstone
07-18-2018, 08:44 AM
I actually think this deal makes sense for both sides, but am I the only one who thinks there years of DeRozan is worth more than one of an injury prone Kawhi with a craptastic attitude?

Like, nobody would argue that DeRozan is the better player, but as it stands now, three years of him seems like a steal for the child that Kawhi Leonard has become in the last year.

It will make both teams better in the short-term and I get why Ujiri is making the gamble here, but that is one hell of a gamble...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-18-2018, 08:49 AM
Possibly, but it was more in reference to the question who would start at SG. I know Patty has, but he's really been best as a 6th man, spark off the bench.

Well if Kawhi pouts and says he hates Toronto i'm sure Kawhi be traded to Lakers pretty fast. Hart could be starting SG for Raptors probably. I'm sure Raptors would want Hart and either Ingram or Kuzma besides dead weight in Deng for Kawhi. Shame Lakers spent their other max cap slot. They could of had a big 3 after all most likely before trade deadline.

Ahriman
07-18-2018, 08:51 AM
There's even no guarantee for TOR than Leonard will not sit out the year. Ujiri must have something else brewing up there otherwise it is a headscratcher

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-18-2018, 08:52 AM
There's even no guarantee for TOR than Leonard will not sit out the year. Ujiri must have something else brewing up there otherwise it is a headscratcher

Ujiri has Magic Johnson on speed dial most likely. Its just a loop hole of Pops trading to the east only. East teams re-flipping him back to the west.

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 08:54 AM
right, well we can focus on his unique qualities but don't cloud you judgement by focusing on the things that are not particularly relevant. his contribution on the offensive end can absolutely be replaced as opportunities filter to others. the free throw part doesn't make a difference. he's an ok player, playing and being paid like a superstar. he's Carmelo Jr. i could not be happier.

Keeping opposing defences on their toes by consistently drawing fouls does make a difference. It changes how teams play defence.

DeMar is an incredibly efficient scorer. Yeah Kawhi taking his shots will be just fine but the only Raptor Iíd want to see get more shots in his absence is JV. No need for Kyle and Ibaka to take any more than they already are.

Joemoes
07-18-2018, 08:57 AM
Yes this is torontos one last run they know Kawhi isn't resigning and you can't build around old Kyl Lowry. The bench was really good and it's time to I guess see what they have as starters ? Idk but it looks like a mini rebuild will take place.

warfelg
If Toronto goes for the quick reflip, Ujiri would lose so much trust from other GM's. In fact I think it would be hard for him to get deals done if he pulled a stunt like that.

aman_13

If he sits out the year, no one is going to sign him. I can't believe they traded DeMar for a guy like that doesn't want to play here.

This implies that they are ready to rebuild. Or they believe they can win without DeMar going forward.

This trade hurts. I'm going to miss DeMar. He signed at 12pm with the Raptors. Didn't meet with another team in FA and they trade him for a guy that already has confirmed he won't sign here long term.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:00 AM

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Dam, green is included

Hawkeye15
07-18-2018, 09:01 AM
congrats Toronto fans. Hell even if KL doesn't re-sign, you shedded DeRozan and can start moving in a new direction. If you can retain KL, you are hella better if he is healthy.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:02 AM
congrats Toronto fans. Hell even if KL doesn't re-sign, you shedded DeRozan and can start moving in a new direction. If you can retain KL, you are hella better if he is healthy.

Sounds like a long shot. Kawhi's camp already letting out there that there's 0 interest in being there.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2018, 09:02 AM
If Toronto goes for the quick reflip, Ujiri would lose so much trust from other GM's. In fact I think it would be hard for him to get deals done if he pulled a stunt like that.

Morey still gets them and he treats players like poker chips.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2018, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a long shot. Kawhi's camp already letting out there that there's 0 interest in being there.

interesting. When did KL turn into such a fkin diva?

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:04 AM
Morey still gets them and he treats players like poker chips.

He doesn't trade for a guy, turn around and flip them right to a team he wants to go to and to a team the players original team wasn't really willing to trade them for.

Now if it happens at the trade deadline it's not bad, but reflipping him before the season even starts? Yeesh. Especially if he does it to the Lakers.

aman_13
07-18-2018, 09:06 AM
They better not have given up OG or Siakam.

Joemoes
07-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Any chance of Toronto flipping Kawhi to lakers ?

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:08 AM
The one that makes me scratch my head was only a protected 2019 pick? Not fighting for 2-3 picks and unprotected feels like a mistake.

Jesus.

Vinylman
07-18-2018, 09:09 AM

yes... I also expect KL to be traded at the deadline if he tells them he won't re-sign which would be good for the Lakers because they would be able to get him in for a much smaller number...

The Toronto jettisoning of overpaid sluggos is just beginning... Lowery will be gone by next offseason and they will be in full rebuild with 2 of the lakers youngsters (hopefully).

Hawkeye15
07-18-2018, 09:09 AM
He doesn't trade for a guy, turn around and flip them right to a team he wants to go to and to a team the players original team wasn't really willing to trade them for.

Now if it happens at the trade deadline it's not bad, but reflipping him before the season even starts? Yeesh. Especially if he does it to the Lakers.

you have to at least try and convince KL to stay, and nothing works better than playing. But yeah, if he still has no interest at the deadline, get salary relief and/or picks for him.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:11 AM
you have to at least try and convince KL to stay, and nothing works better than playing. But yeah, if he still has no interest at the deadline, get salary relief and/or picks for him.

Well if you flip him at the deadline, you aren't looking for salary relief because KL and Green are expiring contracts anyways. I think at that point you are looking to recoup a future, and maybe pawn off a Lowry/JV/Ibaka contract with Kawhi.

sjbirds
07-18-2018, 09:12 AM

I also heard Philly was pretty much the only team that has any idea about his health so I wonder how that played into it

Wade n Fade
07-18-2018, 09:12 AM
I think Leonard will re-up with Toronto for the 5 year max. PG wanted the Lakers all last year. What happened? OKC got him and retained him despite the LA discussions.

$ talks. Leonard has a new city with a possible endorsement opportunities and marketability.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:13 AM
I also heard Philly was pretty much the only team that has any idea about his health so I wonder how that played into it

Not as much as the other things. He's healthy. But it's the type of injury that he can easily say it doesn't feel right and you can't really fight him on it. That's the thing with soft tissue injuries. No easy way to say if he's faking or it's real.

Vinylman
07-18-2018, 09:14 AM

Bingo

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath on Ujiri turning around and sending him to LA.

Mell413
07-18-2018, 09:16 AM
If Kawhi signs with Toronto I get it, but this feels like an overpay for what is likely a rental. I don't view DD contract is an albatross that you dump him. I would think you could get picks/younger guys for DD.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:17 AM
I think Leonard will re-up with Toronto for the 5 year max. PG wanted the Lakers all last year. What happened? OKC got him and retained him despite the LA discussions.

$ talks. Leonard has a new city with a possible endorsement opportunities and marketability.

Eh, I'm doubtful that happens. I think there was only 2-3 cities where that was possible: Philly, NYC, Chicago because or marketing opportunities.

I get how big Toronto is and how huge marketing to an entire country is, but his team is really against this.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Wow Raptors didn't have to part with OG, or Siakam.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Well if you flip him at the deadline, you aren't looking for salary relief because KL and Green are expiring contracts anyways. I think at that point you are looking to recoup a future, and maybe pawn off a Lowry/JV/Ibaka contract with Kawhi.

I guess so. Lowry will be easy to trade. You could just ride Ibaka through 19-20', he helps keep you at a floor for the cap but doesn't offer many wins, and you will then be 1 year into rebuild already when your salary cap opens wide up in the summer of 2020 (assuming Lowry is gone).

J4KOP99
07-18-2018, 09:21 AM
This is hilarious from every perspective. Love pops stubbornness. Love torontos major "F-U" to demar.

Bob_at_york
07-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Wow Raptors didn't have to part with OG, or Siakam.

I am surprised and happy about this. I predicted a trade like this a while ago but I had pau coming to Toronto instead of green

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:22 AM

:laugh:

Driven
07-18-2018, 09:22 AM

I hate it when people say things like this. We don't know what the other options are. But chances are San Antonio didn't want Lowry.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:24 AM
A couple of writers I trust that I'm talking to basically said this:

The Spurs got the best "headliner" they could get from Toronto, but Poeltl and a top 20 protected 1st was about the worst 'depth' of the trade from the offers they could get.

Wade n Fade
07-18-2018, 09:26 AM
Eh, I'm doubtful that happens. I think there was only 2-3 cities where that was possible: Philly, NYC, Chicago because or marketing opportunities.

I get how big Toronto is and how huge marketing to an entire country is, but his team is really against this.

It might be just all about the max deal then? San Antonio was on and off about offering it to Kawhi. OKC isnít too marketable and still got PG, so I think the 5th year is very pivotal.

aman_13
07-18-2018, 09:26 AM
I'm happy they didn't have to give up OG and Siakam. JP is a nice player but he at had the least upside.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 09:27 AM
If Kawhi doesnít play Iíll lose all respect for him for being a *****. I have a lot of respect for him after what he did to us in 2014 as a young player.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Murray
Derozan
Gay
Aldridge
JP

Lowry
Green
Kawhi
OG
Ibaka or Jonas

aman_13
Raptors beat writers will have a blast getting quotes from OG and Kawhi.

warfelg
It might be just all about the max deal then? San Antonio was on and off about offering it to Kawhi. OKC isnít too marketable and still got PG, so I think the 5th year is very pivotal.

No because his camp has said it's about location not money multiple times.

Burkey3472
07-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Honestly, I like this deal for both teams.

Toronto - They obviously get the best player in the deal but they needed to do something to change their roster. Adding Leonard gives them a different look this year in a weak East. If they manage to convince him to stay (long shot) they will get a star in his prime for years to come. If he leaves, they will rebuild and trade away the rest of their assets.

San Antonio - I think this team should have gone the younger route but if that wasn't an option you at least got an all-star to pair with Aldridge. They aren't going to win a title this year but they weren't going to do that with anyone they acquired.

Vinylman
07-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Anyone thinking the KL situation is like PG13 is delusional...

PG13 didn't demand a destination... KL did

PG13 didn't ***** when he got sent to OKC

Totally different

As a Lakers fan this is easily the best news we could have gotten... it also sets the bar real low to acquire KL at the deadline if he is available.

aman_13
07-18-2018, 09:31 AM
They replaced DeMar with Kawhi, added Green, lost JP.

So they were still able to keep their bench in tact.

The Raptors won the trade in the very short term and got a whole lot better assuming Kawhi is healthy. I'm stay away from the long term aspects of this trade

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 09:32 AM
A couple of writers I trust that I'm talking to basically said this:

The Spurs got the best "headliner" they could get from Toronto, but Poeltl and a top 20 protected 1st was about the worst 'depth' of the trade from the offers they could get.

I think that's fair. I was shocked to see that's all they got, but gotta look at it from the Raps point of view in terms of what they're giving up for potentially a rental.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 09:33 AM
They replaced DeMar with Kawhi, added Green, lost JP.

So they were still able to keep their bench in tact.

The Raptors won the trade in the very short term and got a whole lot better assuming Kawhi is healthy. I'm stay away from the long term aspects of this trade

Short term Kawhi may be a ***** and try to sit out, I wouldnít trust him until he says otherwise. As of right now reports say ďKawhi has no desire to be in Toronto.Ē

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:35 AM
I think that's fair. I was shocked to see that's all they got, but gotta look at it from the Raps point of view in terms of what they're giving up for potentially a rental.

To me it comes down to what I said from the beginning: Pops and RC have never seemed like the "rebuild" type guys. They wanted a package that allowed them to stay as a good team. That's what this did. The Spurs remain as a top team in the West with this deal. I just really hate the pick protections.

aman_13
07-18-2018, 09:39 AM
null

He's nuts if he doesn't play. Seriously just flip him now and get more assets. The Raptors can use him to stay away from rebuilding. I have no desire to see a rebuild.

PAOboston
07-18-2018, 09:40 AM
To me it comes down to what I said from the beginning: Pops and RC have never seemed like the "rebuild" type guys. They wanted a package that allowed them to stay as a good team. That's what this did. The Spurs remain as a top team in the West with this deal. I just really hate the pick protections.This. As long as Pop is there, they are not rebuilding. Derozan is a good player. Maybe not the level of Kawhi but they did pretty well here trading basically a rental for 3 years of an all star scorer.

Short term, Toronto did well but they could have some serious long term ramifications for that franchise with this deal.

Young$avage
07-18-2018, 09:40 AM
Raptors kept OG? Wow.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 09:44 AM
He's nuts if he doesn't play. Seriously just flip him now and get more assets. The Raptors can use him to stay away from rebuilding. I have no desire to see a rebuild.

Yea rebuilds are boring, id try to compete as long as you can. If he says he wonít play then the only 2 teams you may be able to trade him to would be the Lakers or Clippers since thatís where he wants to be.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 09:46 AM
This. As long as Pop is there, they are not rebuilding. Derozan is a good player. Maybe not the level of Kawhi but they did pretty well here trading basically a rental for 3 years of an all star scorer.

Short term, Toronto did well but they could have some serious long term ramifications for that franchise with this deal.

Yea.....Brown, Ingram, Fultz (the 3 'untouchables' from potential teams) have the ability to be even better than DeRozen, but none of them are right now. And I think in the end, that's what matters for Pops and RC. They've shown before that they can 'find' stars with Kawhi, Tony, Manu.

Young$avage
07-18-2018, 09:48 AM
I think Spurs got a good deal out of this. DeRozan isn't a scrub and he will fit well personality wise with the team and with Aldridge. Solid pickup.

Can the Raptors convince Kawhi to stay in Toronto? I don't think so, but stranger things have happened.

treeleaf
07-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Why would the raptors trade for Kawhi Leonard when they already have him? (OG)

ewing
07-18-2018, 10:00 AM
If Kawhi doesnít play Iíll lose all respect for him for being a *****. I have a lot of respect for him after what he did to us in 2014 as a young player.

So you are OK with sitting out for one season but two is too much?

Cal827
07-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Well, as Raptor fans, we can't ***** anymore about loyalty to the teams after managment did this.... I understand they had to make a move, but according to a report, they promised Derozan that he wasn't involved in a deal, just to be sent out. :pity:

Side note, can the Raptors offer Kawhi the supermax? I'm just asking for if he does likely leave after next year and wants to go to LA (as for a S/T scenario). If that can happen, not exactly sure if Kawhi would be willing to leave so much money on the table (especially after the off-year)... I mean, he has to play this season, or he'll probably lose value on his next contract :laugh2:

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 10:02 AM
DeMar wasnít getting the Raps to the finals while the Celtics and Sixers are only getting better. Inserting Kawhi and Green into our starting 5 makes us a defensive power house along with having 2 solid 3pt shooters to go with Nurseís 3pt heavy offence. This deal is absolutely great for the Raptors even if weíre a contender for one year because letís face it. After the next year or two we wonít be able to touch the Celtics.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Side note, can the Raptors offer Kawhi the supermax

No. You can only get it with the team that drafted you. What the Raps can offer now that others can't is a bigger per year raise and a 5th year.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
DeMar wasnít getting the Raps to the finals while the Celtics and Sixers are only getting better. Inserting Kawhi and Green into our starting 5 makes us a defensive power house along with having 2 solid 3pt shooters to go with Nurseís 3pt heavy offence. This deal is absolutely great for the Raptors even if weíre a contender for one year because letís face it. After the next year or two we wonít be able to touch the Celtics.

Yea, that's why I do love this for the Raps. It's a one year shot, and if not it's a path to rebuild.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 10:05 AM
So you are OK with sitting out for one season but two is too much?

He was actually injured majority of last season

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 10:06 AM

Nobody in the East is touching the Celtics starting this year.

KingstonHawke
07-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Raptors should make this a 3way trade involving the Lakers. Ask them for Ingram, Hart, Deng, and some draft picks. All three teams would be much better off.

cmellofan15
07-18-2018, 10:09 AM
Drake is gonna have to try really hard to convince Kawhi to re-sign. Maybe Kyle Lowry can throw a private party for him and get him and Drake on stage lmao

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 10:09 AM
He was actually injured majority of last season

Eh... Don't know about that anymore. I thought he was too, but stuff I've been seeing says the opposite.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 10:11 AM
Eh... Don't know about that anymore. I thought he was too, but stuff I've been seeing says the opposite.

Iím sure everything will come to light soon and weíll know the full story.

TakeYourL
07-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Lakers fans saying raptors have no leverage in 3..... 2.....

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Poor kids never stood a chance

archdevil84
I feel like kawhi is turning into Drose 2.0 in that hes gonna lose interest in playing basketball and all that crap after a major injury. He was always this quiet realy good no attitude player and now all of a sudden he's becoming the biggest drama queen in the league in 3 months time? Seems off to me

warfelg

Yea....quite a bit pointing to he could have played if he wanted to. Heard lots of it was a matter of proper post game care and rest on off days.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Iím sure everything will come to light soon and weíll know the full story.

yup. people were waiting until a deal was done before spilling the beans. Michael C. Wright will undoubtedly have something prepared soon i'm sure

warfelg
07-18-2018, 10:15 AM
I feel like kawhi is turning into Drose 2.0 in that hes gonna lose interest in playing basketball and all that crap after a major injury. He was always this quiet realy good no attitude player and now all of a sudden he's becoming the biggest drama queen in the league in 3 months time? Seems off to me

Eh, all reports are just the opposite. He loves basketball, is a nut for working his *** off, and wants to be one of the best. He just has 0 interest in playing the media game. Uncle Dennis saw that in him and is taking advantage of that.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 10:16 AM
yup. people were waiting until a deal was done before spilling the beans. Michael C. Wright will undoubtedly have something prepared soon i'm sure

MCW is such a great writer. Gets so much from the team because he respects them and won't say anything unless he knows they are ok with it.

maltmonger
Drake is gonna have to try really hard to convince Kawhi to re-sign. Maybe Kyle Lowry can throw a private party for him and get him and Drake on stage lmao

Time to earn that ambassador role the Raptors gave him. Here you go Drake - back up the talk and get Kawhi to sign long term with Toronto.

Rivera
great job by the Raptors not giving up depth or OG. If they make it to the finals this year, to me this trade is a win even if KL bolts.

If they dont and KL Bots, Toronto can start their rebuild because the Derozan/Lowry core was never going to win a chip

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Meanwhile, Manu is the man. Gotta think his decision to return/retire will come soon.

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 10:19 AM
Nobody in the East is touching the Celtics starting this year.

Stick to making trades that make no sense.

ZH721
07-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Well, this puts the Raptors easily ahead of Philly if they werenít already.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Stick to making trades that make no sense.

Iíll stick to punking your *** every time you come at me with a smartass remark.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 10:23 AM
Well, this puts the Raptors easily ahead of Philly if they werenít already.

They were already ahead, this just furthers the gap. If he plays that is.

FlakeyFool
This is a good trade for the raptors. Why the spurs want a guy who sucks at ball movement

WaDe03
I couldnít imagine my uncle running my career and making all my decisions for me.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 10:25 AM
Yea....quite a bit pointing to he could have played if he wanted to. Heard lots of it was a matter of proper post game care and rest on off days.

Heard some of that, heard his uncle wanted a position with the Spurs and for he & Kawhi to have their own section of the plane, all sorts of weirdness. Don't know what's true and what isn't, but we'll probably find out before the summer is over.

MCW is such a great writer. Gets so much from the team because he respects them and won't say anything unless he knows they are ok with it.

Agreed. That's why when he spilled some info a few weeks ago, everyone knew the team gave him the OK. It showed what they were dealing with a bit.

aman_13
I think the Raptors have the perimeter defense to combat the Celtics. You could make a case the Raptors are the better team.

Texan_Rocket
Everyone thought PG13 was bound for LA no matter what and Thunder was just renting him, look how that turned out.

Muttman73
07-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Later KW

ZH721
07-18-2018, 10:29 AM
I think the Raptors have the perimeter defense to combat the Celtics. You could make a case the Raptors are the better team.

Not sure about that, although I think it got closer.

Raptors lost to the Cavs in 4, and lost DeRozan and added Kawhi.
Celtics lost to the Cavs in 7, and added Kyrie and Hayward.

Jayb587
07-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Everyone thought PG13 was bound for LA no matter what and Thunder was just renting him, look how that turned out.

So every situation is going to turn out like that now?

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 10:31 AM
congrats Toronto fans. Hell even if KL doesn't re-sign, you shedded DeRozan and can start moving in a new direction. If you can retain KL, you are hella better if he is healthy.Thanks. It's an incredible deal. Even if Kawhi leaves we are in great shape.

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Iíll stick to punking your *** every time you come at me with a smartass remark.

That time I got a contract wrong and admitted my mistake? Cool. What about that time I said the Raps can come up with a better package than the Heat for Kawhi. What about that, Ashton Kutcher?

WaDe03

This is different

tp13baby
Masai is the master of trades. This is a win win for Toronto. DeMar just isnít the guy to lead a team and now you get away from that terrible contract. Even if Leonard leaves.

mrblisterdundee
07-18-2018, 10:34 AM
DeRozan, Poeltl and a protected first? Kawhi must have really tanked his value with trade demands and the Los Angeles intrigue. I figured they'd at least have to give up Anunoby.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 10:36 AM
That time I got a contract wrong and admitted my mistake? Cool. What about that time I said the Raps can come up with a better package than the Heat for Kawhi. What about that, Ashton Kutcher?

Not just the contract thereís been many others but itís been awhile I donít get upset enough to write them down.

Brian windhorst reported many teams couldíve beat the offer but decided not to.

Dragic JRich Bam Winslow and a 1st beats the offer you all sent. Raptors were just willing to give up more for a rental than other teams. Good for you all, 2nd best team in the East with LeBron gone but thatís if Kawhi even cares to play. As of right now he has no desire to be in Toronto so good luck with that.

Jayb587
Masai is the master of trades. This is a win win for Toronto. DeMar just isnít the guy to lead a team and now you get away from that terrible contract. Even if Leonard leaves.

And then what? Tank time?

Jamiecballer

$ talks. Leonard has a new city with a possible endorsement opportunities and marketability.And it's a ****ing huge market. I have a feeling the uncle and his sideshow get dumped because he can't focus and play at the same time.

Vinylman
07-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Lakers fans saying raptors have no leverage in 3..... 2.....

ignornant posters in the NBA forum prognosticating in 3 Ö oh wait Ö nevermind

numba1CHANGsta
Smart move by TOR. Why? well first they get rid of DeRozan's contract and will have some cap relief next summer. Secondly, and here's the real reason why they did the trade, if the Raptors are struggling and Kawhi becomes a distraction, they will trade him by the trade deadline for a package of young players especially after showing everyone if Kawhi is 100% or not

CELTICS4LYFE
Not a bad final trade. Lowry/Green/Kawhi/Ibaka/Jonas

IKnowHoops
07-18-2018, 10:42 AM
interesting. When did KL turn into such a fkin diva?

Once GS stacked the deck, basketball/competition wasnít fun anymore. He wants that back so...

Vinylman
07-18-2018, 10:43 AM

master? lol KL fell in his lap because SA didn't have anyone else offering anything.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2018, 10:47 AM
master? lol KL fell in his lap because SA didn't have anyone else offering anything.

well, Toronto knows it isn't a contender, but has a contender payroll. Need to start tearing it down. Best case you can convince him to stay. But, the reality is they likely trade him at the deadline if they can anything enticing, or he walks and they clear a terrible contract. Lowry is easy to trade, and then one more year of Ibaka's deal and they can really start over.

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 10:48 AM
This. As long as Pop is there, they are not rebuilding. Derozan is a good player. Maybe not the level of Kawhi but they did pretty well here trading basically a rental for 3 years of an all star scorer.

Sent from my SM-G920T using TapatalkI dont think the Spurs are going to the postseason next year. You can quote me, put it in your sig, whatever.

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 10:49 AM
Not just the contract thereís been many others but itís been awhile I donít get upset enough to write them down.

Brian windhorst reported many teams couldíve beat the offer but decided not to.

Dragic JRich Bam Winslow and a 1st beats the offer you all sent. Raptors were just willing to give up more for a rental than other teams. Good for you all, 2nd best team in the East with LeBron gone but thatís if Kawhi even cares to play. As of right now he has no desire to be in Toronto so good luck with that.

My sources say you just get upset enough to point them out!

IndyRealist
07-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Don't like it for the Spurs. Don't like including Green, don't like not getting OG back. Green makes a lot, but he's expiring and Pau would have been better to move for cap purposes. As I thought, they did this to get the biggest star in return instead of getting rebuilding pieces.

Love it for the Raptors. Going all in for one year. If they convince Kawhi to stay, with that core they are a perennial contender in the East. If he leaves, flip him for assets and shed Ibaka at the same time and rebuild quicker.

D-Leethal
07-18-2018, 10:50 AM
Trade makes sense for the Raps. Don't get it for the Spurs. Just retire Pop, they need to rebuild. They will be second round fodder next couple years.

Kawhi isn't gonna stay, we all know that, but still makes sense from a rebuild perspective. Only way this can really blow up is if Kawhi doesn't report.

Question: what is the likelihood the Raps trade Kawhi at the deadline?

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 10:51 AM
My sources say you just get upset enough to point them out!

Not upset, just know that you always have some kind of smart *** remark I always shut down with facts and then you tuck your tail and hide like Kawhi.

Do you think Kawhi stays in Toronto after this season?

D-Leethal
07-18-2018, 10:52 AM
If the Raps are clearly a notch below the Celtics do they still take a swing at a playoff run and risk losing Kawhi for nothing, or lean towards getting something for him at the deadline?

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 10:52 AM
I really like the idea of having Danny Green as our starting 2 guard. Kawhi picks up DeMar's shots while playing the 3 and Green provides 3 pt shooting and defence at the 2 guard. Something we never had during DeRozan's tenure. I'm excited to see what Nurse can do with...

JV
Ibaka
Kawhi
Green
Lowry

We're going to piss a lot of teams off on defence.

R. Johnson#3
07-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Not upset, just know that you always have some kind of smart *** remark I always shut down with facts and then you tuck your tail and hide like Kawhi.

If you aren't upset then why bring it up? I also have no idea about these facts you're talking about. Prefixing a sentence with "my sources say" doesn't make stuff a fact lol.

I'm 99% sure he bolts but we now have his Bird rights so that 5th year and extra wad of cash might make him stay.

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Don't like it for the Spurs. Don't like including Green, don't like not getting OG back. Green makes a lot, but he's expiring and Pau would have been better to move for cap purposes. As I thought, they did this to get the biggest star in return instead of getting rebuilding pieces.

Love it for the Raptors. Going all in for one year. If they convince Kawhi to stay, with that core they are a perennial contender in the East. If he leaves, flip him for assets and shed Ibaka at the same time and rebuild quicker.Dude, we are on the exact same frequency here. I'm in disbelief the Spurs could even be convinced to take DeRozan. But giving us Green back is a ridiculous win.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Trade makes sense for the Raps. Don't get it for the Spurs. Just retire Pop, they need to rebuild. They will be second round fodder next couple years.

Kawhi isn't gonna stay, we all know that, but still makes sense from a rebuild perspective. Only way this can really blow up is if Kawhi doesn't report.

Question: what is the likelihood the Raps trade Kawhi at the deadline?

Lol, Just retire Pop? C'mon, that's silly, the man loves coaching, and is damned good at it. Why should he change his plans due to these unforeseen circumstances that occurred?

They were rebuilding, on the fly while Timmy was on his way out, and primed to be an elite team once he left. What makes you think they can't continue to do that?

Scoots
07-18-2018, 10:57 AM
Now we get to see which Kawhi Toronto gets and if they can keep him. I hope Uncle Dennis can't stand the cold and gets out of Kawhi's ear for a while.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 10:59 AM
I really like the idea of having Danny Green as our starting 2 guard. Kawhi picks up DeMar's shots while playing the 3 and Green provides 3 pt shooting and defence at the 2 guard. Something we never had during DeRozan's tenure. I'm excited to see what Nurse can do with...

JV
Ibaka
Kawhi
Green
Lowry

We're going to piss a lot of teams off on defence.

Are you British?

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 10:59 AM

Love it for the Raptors. Going all in for one year. If they convince Kawhi to stay, with that core they are a perennial contender in the East. If he leaves, flip him for assets and shed Ibaka at the same time and rebuild quicker.

Def don't like giving up Green either, but for the Raps and the gamble they're taking, it make sense they too wanted a sweetener.

SA was likely looking at young guys with potential in other scenarios. They didn't want to go that route

Scoots
07-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Lol, Just retire Pop? C'mon, that's silly, the man loves coaching, and is damned good at it. Why should he change his plans due to these unforeseen circumstances that occurred?

They were rebuilding, on the fly while Timmy was on his way out, and primed to be an elite team once he left. What makes you think they can't continue to do that?

Pop wishes the game wasn't going so 3 point heavy ... he's going to get his wish with the team he's got to work with :) The roster looks a little late 90s style at the moment. I'm looking forward to see how they play.

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 11:00 AM
Kawhi wants back in

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 11:01 AM
I hope everyone plays this year and everyone is healthy all year. With some other big moves possibly happening this could be a very interesting season. I hope Boogie doesnít return until next offseason though.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Kawhi wants back in

What makes you say that?

IndyRealist
07-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Def don't like giving up Green either, but for the Raps and the gamble they're taking, it make sense they too wanted a sweetener.

SA was likely looking at young guys with potential in other scenarios. They didn't want to go that route

I trust in Pop, but to get the worse talent and the worse cap situation is perplexing.

Hawkeye15
Pop wishes the game wasn't going so 3 point heavy ... he's going to get his wish with the team he's got to work with :) The roster looks a little late 90s style at the moment. I'm looking forward to see how they play.

have you seen the Wolves coach/roster? it's like a 1993 team teleported to modern times to run isolation plays that end with a 19 foot contested j

D-Leethal

I thought the talks were that Pop was retiring in a couple years anyway. If that's the case, why prolong it? DeRozan and Aldridge is not the makings of an elite team - do you honestly have faith they retool around these two guys and get to a level that can compete for a title?

Can't rely on yesterday's magic to win today. Eventually the magic fades - it appears to have run it's course for the Spurs.

Vinylman
Kawhi wants back in

what?

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Haha.. Well they've still got Mills/Bertans, added Cunningham/Belinelli, Derrick White can shoot the 3. It'll be interesting to see how they fit it all together, but they've still got some shooters. Even Murray's mechanics on his shot look much better, and he's been working on his 3 point shooting this summer.

With one of the best (if not the best) shooting coaches, they might be able to make some stuff happen. Wonder if they're done making moves or not

IndyRealist
07-18-2018, 11:07 AM

Fact is a very overused word around here.

Hustla23
07-18-2018, 11:09 AM
Why did the Spurs do this though.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 11:11 AM
Fact is a very overused word around here.

The numbers/results are the facts, your personal view on something is an opinion. If Iím saying Iím giving facts Iím backing it with results or numbers so Iím not overusing the word at all.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:13 AM
I thought the talks were that Pop was retiring in a couple years anyway. If that's the case, why prolong it? DeRozan and Aldridge is not the makings of an elite team - do you honestly have faith they retool around these two guys and get to a level that can compete for a title?

Can't rely on yesterday's magic to win today. Eventually the magic fades - it appears to have run it's course for the Spurs.

That's what reports/rumors were, in 2020. Again tho, why should he let this drama force him out of doing what he loves? Even if they aren't going to compete for a title, the fans (and he) deserve to have a team out there that is competitive and winning basketball games. Only 1 team can win a championship every year.

I have faith in their youth, with Murray/White/Walker etc..., and see they are still looking big picture, but don't want to blow it up now. Aldridge did a darn good job last year, and has been great on both ends. He's a different player, and don't be surprised, if they surprise people this year.

They have their youth for the future, and they have guys to keep them competitive now. Yes they'll need to tweak things along the way, but these guys know what they're doing.

mrblisterdundee
07-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Not a bad final trade. Lowry/Green/Kawhi/Ibaka/Jonas

I still think the Raptors should find a way to start Anunoby, who will hopefully learn from Kawhi. Move Jonas to the bench, Ibaka to the five and Anunoby to power forward. That's a terrific defensive lineup.

Heediot
07-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Nice deal for the Raptors, didn't have to give up OG. Danny Green was a solid pick up to boot!

mike_noodles
07-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Dude, we are on the exact same frequency here. I'm in disbelief the Spurs could even be convinced to take DeRozan. But giving us Green back is a ridiculous win.

I don't like the odds of it happening, but if, if they can resign Leonard, this is likely the best trade in franchise history.

warfelg
07-18-2018, 11:17 AM
That's what reports/rumors were, in 2020. Again tho, why should he let this drama force him out of doing what he loves? Even if they aren't going to compete for a title, the fans (and he) deserve to have a team out there that is competitive and winning basketball games. Only 1 team can win a championship every year.

I have faith in their youth, with Murray/White/Walker etc..., and see they are still looking big picture, but don't want to blow it up now. Aldridge did a darn good job last year, and has been great on both ends. He's a different player, and don't be surprised, if they surprise people this year.

They have their youth for the future, and they have guys to keep them competitive now. Yes they'll need to tweak things along the way, but these guys know what they're doing.

Not only that, DDR, Mills, LMA all expire in 2020 IIRC. That means if Pops walks in that year he leaves the team with a blank slate to work from. Meaning he doesnít pass on a **** situation.

mightybosstone
07-18-2018, 11:19 AM
I've seen a lot of people mention DeRozan's supposedly "awful" contract in this thread. Am I missing something? The dude has essentially three years left of $27 million per season. A max deal is pretty much the going rate for a top 20-25 player in the league, which DeRozan absolutely isóregardless of his playoff performance history.

I'm not saying DeRozan can be the best player on a championship team, but can he be the second best? Or the best player on a top 5-10 team that consistently makes it to the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs every year? Yes and Yes.

Clearly the Raptors got the best player in the deal, but considering how little the contributions from Kawhi were last season, the Spurs also just got exponentially better. And considering San Antonio isn't exactly a marquee free agent destination, the fact that they got a top 20 player locked in for the next 2-3 years for a guy who was on his way out anywayóthat's a solid result for the Spurs.

I'm actually genuinely afraid of the Spurs again. A DeRozan-Aldridge duo will not be fun to play against over the next few years. And if they add another piece...

BKLYNpigeon
07-18-2018, 11:23 AM
DeMar will post career best numbers on the spurs.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Not only that, DDR, Mills, LMA all expire in 2020 IIRC. That means if Pops walks in that year he leaves the team with a blank slate to work from. Meaning he doesnít pass on a **** situation.

Oh yea, that too. Which I know is important to him. Whoever he passes the torch to, he'll very much not want to leave that in a **** situation.

BKLYNpigeon
07-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Big Middle finger to Kawhi from the spurs. Sent him to the absolute furthest city away from LA.

FlakeyFool
07-18-2018, 11:25 AM
He'll also destroy their ball movement.

Kobe lite player

aman_13
07-18-2018, 11:30 AM
So can we sell Kawhi on Toronto. A a beautiful international city. He will get to stay away from the microscope and still play in huge market. Best of both worlds. Just thinking optimistically.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-18-2018, 11:30 AM
If Kawhi refuses to play and sits out a year, should the league do something about it? Suspend him for a year?

COOLbeans
07-18-2018, 11:31 AM
I hope everyone plays this year and everyone is healthy all year. With some other big moves possibly happening this could be a very interesting season. I hope Boogie doesnít return until next offseason though.

I wish I was interested in saving posts as signatures. Once the season begins and the writing again is on the wall, comments like these should be remembered. I too hope the season is interesting however despite who the favorite is.

Scoots
07-18-2018, 11:31 AM
The numbers/results are the facts, your personal view on something is an opinion. If Iím saying Iím giving facts Iím backing it with results or numbers so Iím not overusing the word at all.

From your posting history you clearly are not interested in, or don't understand "facts"

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:32 AM
He'll also destroy their ball movement.

Kobe lite player

Kawhi was one of the best iso scores in the league, when the Spurs featured him, there wasn't a ton of ball movement either.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 11:33 AM
Big Middle finger to Kawhi from the spurs. Sent him to the absolute furthest city away from LA.

Boston, New York, Miami Brooklyn are further but they pretty much did lol.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 11:34 AM
From your posting history you clearly are not interested in, or don't understand "facts"

I understand more about the game than guys like you who never played and that rubs a lot of you the wrong way but it is what it is.

COOLbeans
07-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Now we get to see which Kawhi Toronto gets and if they can keep him. I hope Uncle Dennis can't stand the cold and gets out of Kawhi's ear for a while.

Kawhi will lose if he doesnít play this year. Lose a lot...

Heediot
07-18-2018, 11:35 AM
I dont think the Spurs are going to the postseason next year. You can quote me, put it in your sig, whatever.

I think they probably will. Look at how he gets Rudy Gay to buy in? He has the clout and experience to galvanize DeMar and get him to buy in. They should be close to 50 again. Poetl will give them much needed mobility in the front court.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 11:35 AM
I wish I was interested in saving posts as signatures. Once the season begins and the writing again is on the wall, comments like these should be remembered. I too hope the season is interesting however despite who the favorite is.

Explain what you mean by writing on the wall? Everyone knows the Warriors will win barring injury to KD or Curry due to KD and Cousins ***** moves.

BKLYNpigeon
07-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Kawhi going to have to check in and out of customs over 100x a year. Have fun!

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 11:37 AM
DeMar will post career best numbers on the spurs.

He had a top 15 season last year, he will build on that next year under Pop I would think.

BKLYNpigeon
07-18-2018, 11:37 AM
Philly should have made a deal for Kawhi. Theyíre going to regret it when Raptors knock them out 2nd round.

Scoots
07-18-2018, 11:38 AM

The one pressure on Pop retiring is that he wants to pick his successor, and whoever that is may not want to wait forever.

BKLYNpigeon
07-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Does Kawhi quit on the Raptors like TMac and Vince Carter?

warfelg
07-18-2018, 11:39 AM
Philly should have made a deal for Kawhi. Theyíre going to regret it when Raptors knock them out 2nd round.

And if Kawhi walks? One year doesnít make not doing the deal a mistake or regret.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-18-2018, 11:40 AM

Shipped him right out the country lolol

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 11:40 AM
what?I was just kidding. The last post in the Kawhi wants out thread was "kawhi got out".

Scoots
07-18-2018, 11:41 AM
I understand more about the game than guys like you who never played and that rubs a lot of you the wrong way but it is what it is.

No, you bloviate and joke and I get that ... but don't call what you post "facts".

Scoots
07-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Kawhi will lose if he doesnít play this year. Lose a lot...

Not if the Lakers are dumb enough to offer him the max anyway.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:44 AM
I dont think the Spurs are going to the postseason next year. You can quote me, put it in your sig, whatever.

I mean they won 47 games with a worse roster after dealing with all the drama they did.

Them not making the playoffs would be quite shocking to say the least.

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 11:45 AM
I think they probably will. Look at how he gets Rudy Gay to buy in? He has the clout and experience to galvanize DeMar and get him to buy in. They should be close to 50 again. Poetl will give them much needed mobility in the front court.Yeah, I have huge respect for Pop but his reach has to have limits. The Spurs locker room now features Aldridge, Gay AND DeRozan. Your odds of keeping that culture dip if you add too many players that play counter to it IMO.

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Does Kawhi quit on the Raptors like TMac and Vince Carter?I was wondering about this one. The only way this deal is not a homerun is if Kawhi gives us Vince the year he was traded.

Scoots
07-18-2018, 11:47 AM
I mean they won 47 games with a worse roster after dealing with all the drama they did.

Them not making the playoffs would be quite shocking to say the least.

The Spurs should be a LOT better this year. Health and development should be enough to make them a few games better plus the added players. I expect the Spurs to be around 50 wins.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:48 AM
The one pressure on Pop retiring is that he wants to pick his successor, and whoever that is may not want to wait forever.

It'll likely be someone on his staff already, and with Bud/Brown gone, it could likely be Udoka or Messina.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I have huge respect for Pop but his reach has to have limits. The Spurs locker room now features Aldridge, Gay AND DeRozan. Your odds of keeping that culture dip if you add too many players that play counter to it IMO.

How have Gay/Aldridge countered anything in the Spurs locker room? Sometimes being in a different/winning environment makes a difference. Theyv'e both been great, Gay has bought in to the team/culture, I don't see how that changes now.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:55 AM
I've seen a lot of people mention DeRozan's supposedly "awful" contract in this thread. Am I missing something? The dude has essentially three years left of $27 million per season. A max deal is pretty much the going rate for a top 20-25 player in the league, which DeRozan absolutely isóregardless of his playoff performance history.

I'm not saying DeRozan can be the best player on a championship team, but can he be the second best? Or the best player on a top 5-10 team that consistently makes it to the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the playoffs every year? Yes and Yes.

Clearly the Raptors got the best player in the deal, but considering how little the contributions from Kawhi were last season, the Spurs also just got exponentially better. And considering San Antonio isn't exactly a marquee free agent destination, the fact that they got a top 20 player locked in for the next 2-3 years for a guy who was on his way out anywayóthat's a solid result for the Spurs.

I'm actually genuinely afraid of the Spurs again. A DeRozan-Aldridge duo will not be fun to play against over the next few years. And if they add another piece...

I've been trying to figure this out too honestly.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 11:56 AM
No, you bloviate and joke and I get that ... but don't call what you post "facts".

Will I get an infraction for calling facts, facts? If not I suppose Iíll keep doing so when they are facts. For example, Derozan finished all nba 2nd team this year and had a top 15 year, that is a fact. Is it not?

FlashBolt
07-18-2018, 11:57 AM
This was a terrible trade for the Spurs... Great for the Raptors. Raptors wanted to empty DeRozan's contract anyways and Spurs willingly took it. Spurs should have gotten some younger players. I thought for sure Siakim and/or OG would be included. This makes no sense.

FlashBolt
07-18-2018, 11:58 AM
I've been trying to figure this out too honestly.

Because he disappears in the playoffs and shells up.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 11:59 AM
This was a terrible trade for the Spurs... Great for the Raptors. Raptors wanted to empty DeRozan's contract anyways and Spurs willingly took it. Spurs should have gotten some younger players. I thought for sure Siakim and/or OG would be included. This makes no sense.

Spurs have younger players.

Jamiecballer

Them not making the playoffs would be quite shocking to say the least.Right, but they did it by acquiescing somewhat to Aldridge and his game. I think Aldridge/DeRozan are not the best fit for one another although the Spurs may set a record for the most mid-range jumpers taken in the past decade or so.

FlashBolt
Raptors don't care about it being a rental. They wanted DeRozan gone. As soon as it was mentioned:"Willing to trade anyone", I knew they gave up on Lowry or DeRozan.

Scoots
07-18-2018, 12:00 PM
It'll likely be someone on his staff already, and with Bud/Brown gone, it could likely be Udoka or Messina.

Or Hammon

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Because he disappears in the playoffs and shells up.

I tend to not factor in what guys do elsewhere, and they come to SA. You know how many guys SA has picked up that had certain reps but performed well here? Or perform well here, then go elsewhere and don't do as well?

FlashBolt
07-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Spurs have younger players.

They aren't good ones. How did you guys not get OG/Siakim at least? This was a bad trade, dude. I mentioned a few days ago that if Spurs don't get those, they just locked themselves in a contract for a player who will disappoint.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 12:01 PM
Right, but they did it by acquiescing somewhat to Aldridge and his game. I think Aldridge/DeRozan are not the best fit for one another although the Spurs may set a record for the most mid-range jumpers taken in the past decade or so.

Kawhi took a lot of mid range/post shots too.

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 12:02 PM
They aren't good ones. How did you guys not get OG/Siakim at least? This was a bad trade, dude. I mentioned a few days ago that if Spurs don't get those, they just locked themselves in a contract for a player who will disappoint.

Dejounte Murray and Derrick White aren't good. Got it

FlashBolt
I tend to not factor in what guys do elsewhere, and they come to SA. You know how many guys SA has picked up that had certain reps but performed well here? Or perform well here, then go elsewhere and don't do as well?

Like LaMarcus Aldridge? Now you have two guys who shell up in the playoffs.

Jamiecballer
How have Gay/Aldridge countered anything in the Spurs locker room? Sometimes being in a different/winning environment makes a difference. Theyv'e both been great, Gay has bought in to the team/culture, I don't see how that changes now.I explained why. The culture comes from the people. A great culture gets stressed the more you start adding to it players who dont stand for its ideals. I dont know when the line gets crossed but logically there has to be one somewhere. DeRozan is s good person though so I expect him to do his best but dont be surprised if Spurs ball this year is something you dont recognize.

FlashBolt
Dejounte Murray and Derrick White aren't good. Got it

I'm clearly talking about the trade, lmao. Don't get emotional, now.

aman_13
07-18-2018, 12:03 PM
How have Gay/Aldridge countered anything in the Spurs locker room? Sometimes being in a different/winning environment makes a difference. Theyv'e both been great, Gay has bought in to the team/culture, I don't see how that changes now.

There are no worries with DeMar. He's a team first player that is all about winning. He will do exactly what they want him to do.

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 12:04 PM
I've been trying to figure this out too honestly.It's only bad for the Raptors because with it came an understanding in Toronto that he was the "guy" and that contract just cemented it. The contract is palatable for the production alone.

Gritz
07-18-2018, 12:04 PM
Good for the Raptors, when Kawhi leaves they found a way out of DeRozan's contract

numba1CHANGsta
07-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Bottome line, both teams still suck

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Like LaMarcus Aldridge? Now you have two guys who shell up in the playoffs.

lol, when Kawhi went out and GS zoned in on him? sure thing

Jamiecballer
07-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Kawhi took a lot of mid range/post shots too.Wasn't Aldridge unhappy with his year that he played with Kawhi? Not because of Kawhi, but is that not true?

kdspurman
07-18-2018, 12:07 PM
I'm clearly talking about the trade, lmao. Don't get emotional, now.

I said the Spurs have younger players. You said they aren't good. Your words chief

Cal827
07-18-2018, 12:08 PM

Thank you! I don't understand that narrative that some other team and Raptor fans are talking about. He's a star player, 27 million for what he does is pretty good at this point with that stars are getting paid. FFS, we pay Ibaka like 23 million a season, and someone tell me where the hell he went come playoff time :laugh2:

Also for the Spurs, they get a top 20 player who's pretty loyal. Once he gets to know how the city, he'll probably stay....though I worry about the Derozan/Gay combo again

I'm happy that we were able to retain OG/Siakam at least cause assuming Kahwi leaves, we have some young talent to try to rebuild (as well as maybe grab some guys in a S/T).... though I'm curious how this move impacts the locker room as a whole.

This is likely make or break for Ujiri. Trade away the team's best player ever who showed no desire to leave, in a market that the sports narrative here is that "nobody wants to come play for Toronto". Depending on what happens, the Raptors might go to being forgotten again for the Maple Leafs, who funny enough, added probably a top 5-6 player to their pretty good team :laugh2:

FlashBolt
07-18-2018, 12:08 PM
lol, when Kawhi went out and GS zoned in on him? sure thing

So emotional, lol. I've been saying what I said for days now. I stand by it - this was a great trade for the Raptors and a bad one for Spurs. I guess Lakers and Philly really did pack the bags and got tired of the Spurs and just quit dealing with them. You're way out of character, buddy. Check your feelings.

aman_13
07-18-2018, 12:09 PM

Raptors will contend for a year. They won't win it all but the finals is a legit possibility.

WaDe03
07-18-2018, 12:10 PM
Spurs will be the 3 seed at worst.

kdspurman
So emotional, lol. I've been saying what I said for days now. I stand by it - this was a great trade for the Raptors and a bad one for Spurs. I guess Lakers and Philly really did pack the bags and got tired of the Spurs and just quit dealing with them. You're way out of character, buddy. Check your feelings.

Absolutely! Thanks for sharing your opinion on this trade.

FlashBolt
I said the Spurs have younger players. You said they aren't good. Your words chief

I thought you're referring to the trade. I've already said DeJounte is a very good young player. You guys should have gotten more younger talent back and not a 29 year old player who can't shoot threes and only takes midrange jumpers as his specialty. DeRozan isn't getting any better. Better off rebuilding with solid younger players.

Vee-Rex
07-18-2018, 12:12 PM

ME YESTERDAY

How about:

Raps send out: Derozan, Anunoby, Poeltl, 2020 top 15 protected 1st round pick
Raps receive: Leonard, Green, 2020 Spurs 2nd round pick

The pick is protected so if Kawhi bolts the Raps can still keep their pick for that year. That's also the year both Lowry and Serge Ibaka come off their contracts so it'll give the Raptors a ton of room for flexibility.

I know it seems like a lot to add Poeltl and a 1st round pick but you gotta give up something to get something. Best make the move now before Boston, Philly, or LA ramp up their offers, IMO.

I was slightly wrong by including OG but I knew a protected pick being included would entice the Spurs while also making the Raps feel good since it's protected.

YA BOY KNOWS HIS ****, JUS SAYIN!

smith&wesson
07-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Hoping and praying that Leonard somehow decides to stay with the raptors other wise we just gave up assets for nothing.

Vee-Rex
07-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Forgive me for not reading all the pages yet, but this is a GREAT move for Toronto. You give up a really good player in Derozan but there were questions about whether or not you'd keep him anyway, given the failures in reaching the finals. Poeltl is a nice young piece but he's replaceable, and a protected 1st???

There's risk involved for sure but when you can bring in Green and Kawhi, you make it happen.

Spurs made a good move too. Derozan is underrated and should benefit from Pop's tutelage.

IDGAF how much a player cries about wanting to go to LA - You give him a good year/team and it'll be tough for him to leave. It happened with Paul George already. EXCITING deal - Raps fans should be ecstatic.

FlashBolt
07-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Raptors will be in the Finals. Kept OG/Siakim and now have Kawhi. Their ability to switch/cover teams will be a massive boost for them. Danny Green rep as a shooter has declined but still a good 3&D player.

Cal827
07-18-2018, 12:20 PM
I was slightly wrong by including OG but I knew a protected pick being included would entice the Spurs while also making the Raps feel good since it's protected.

YA BOY KNOWS HIS ****, JUS SAYIN!

:laugh: Raptors/Spurs GMs have been lurking in the forum :laugh2:

aman_13
07-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Raptors will be in the Finals. Kept OG/Siakim and now have Kawhi. Their ability to switch/cover teams will be a massive boost for them. Danny Green rep as a shooter has declined but still a good 3&D player.

Yeah I think they are equipped to go all the way assuming Kawhi is healthy.

FlashBolt
07-18-2018, 12:22 PM
Forgive me for not reading all the pages yet, but this is a GREAT move for Toronto. You give up a really good player in Derozan but there were questions about whether or not you'd keep him anyway, given the failures in reaching the finals. Poeltl is a nice young piece but he's replaceable, and a protected 1st???

There's risk involved for sure but when you can bring in Green and Kawhi, you make it happen.

Spurs made a good move too. Derozan is underrated and should benefit from Pop's tutelage.

IDGAF how much a player cries about wanting to go to LA - You give him a good year/team and it'll be tough for him to leave. It happened with Paul George already. EXCITING deal - Raps fans should be ecstatic.

DeRozan isn't underrated. He's been getting rated just fine but then continuously underperforms in the playoffs. Maybe that changes with the Spurs but he's got a history of bad playoffs performances. Can't compare PG and Kawhi. PG is more outgoing and doesn't have a team telling him what to do. Kawhi seems almost controlled at this point.

Cal827
07-18-2018, 12:22 PM

Meh, as he likely quit on the Spurs last year, I'm not ecstatic :laugh2: Also the fact that he's been avoiding Spurs in general when they've wanted to talk to him. I know his teammates said stuff but come on, step up.

My best case scenario at this point, is that he plays a year here and if he leaves, he's able to help OG/Siakam with their defensive game (They both look pretty good, but any advice Kawhi could give them could be vital to their future growth).

Scoots
07-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Lakers probably finish with a worse record than the Spurs next year.

Vee-Rex
07-18-2018, 12:24 PM

Lowry
Green
Kawhi
OG
Siakam

is a strong defensive small-ball lineup that can also shoot the 3-ball very well outside of Siakam.

Reaching the finals will mostly be a 2-team race between Boston and Toronto, with Philly having a shot as well. And a fully healthy Boston or Toronto team should make GS sweat a little bit, though GS will still be enormous favorites.

breakbad
07-18-2018, 12:25 PM
As a Laker fan, this obviously has had a lot to do with me. My first thought just a little bit ago when I saw this was that I'm happy he didn't end up fixing things with Pop and signing the Super Max, like I kinda thought he would. I tend to not buy that talk until the player comes out with it himself, and even then it's usually only being said for leverage to get what they want from their team, ala Kobe or Aldridge demanding out. The Spurs with Kawhi were going to be right there with the Warriors and Rockets as the biggest obstacles for us, so I'm sure everyone else in the West is just as happy as I am with this. I think with Demar they take a step back from that, and a step up from last year. Still gonna be an awesome team.

From the Raptors side of it? Damn. When you look back as last season as a whole, considering they won the most games in the East, the two big things keeping them from the Finals were Lebron and the fact that Demar and Lowry just were not a championship level duo. Both things have been fixed. If Leonard is healthy and buys in, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're that new team representing the East this year. Masai Ujiri is in the elite in terms of NBA GMs, and Toronto has become a class organization, just like the Thunder, so I'm sure there's at least a solid chance Kawhi ends up taking more money to stay there if everything goes really well. If he doesn't buy in because he really does only wanna play in LA, then I'm sure at the deadline the Clips and Lakers will outbid each other up to a deal that is well worth what they gave to the Spurs. If you could end up with Ingram for Derozan in the end, that would be almost as good of a trade as Derozan for Kawhi.

Which leads me to the Lakers, I'm just glad we didn't give up everything for him and are remaining patient. I also would have hated to see Ingram become a Spur and become even better than Kawhi was. That would have sucked. Now it would be Toronto getting our young talent, which would be a lot easier to swallow. Or we get him for nothing, if we did end up with him. Which would be winning the lottery, again, lol. Pretty much ensures we at least get to see what this team is gonna look like before we blow it up again, which is what I really want.

Congrats to Toronto fans!