PDA

View Full Version : 11th Best Overall Pick Of All-Time?

Jeffy25
07-17-2018, 06:27 PM
Our current draft

12. Julius Erving - Bucks (but played in ABA) - 1972
13. Kobe Bryant - Hornets (traded to Lakers) - 1996
14. Clyde Drexler - Blazers - 1983
15. Steve Nash - Suns - 1996
16. John Stockton - Jazz - 1984
17. Shawn Kemp - Sonics/Thunder - 1989
18. Joe Dumars - Pistons - 1985
19. Tiny Archibald - Royals/Kings - 1970
20. Larry Nance - Suns - 1981
21. Michael Finley - Suns - 1995
22. Norm Nixon - Lakers - 1977
23. Alex English - Bucks - 1976
24. Sam Cassell - Rockets - 1993
25. Mark Price - Mavs (traded to Cavs) - 1986
26. Vlade Divac - Lakers - 1989
27. Dennis Rodman - Pistons - 1986
28. Tony Parker - Spurs - 2001
29. Dennis Johnson - Sonics - 1976
30. Jimmy Butler - Bulls - 2011

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/draft_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=&year_max=&round_min=&round_max=&pick_overall_min=11&pick_overall_max=11&franch_id=&college_id=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&is_active=&is_hof=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ws

Some notable picks

Reggie Miller
Derek Harper
Kevin Willis
Kiki Vandeweghe
Robert Horry
Jamaal Wilkes
Terrell Brandon
Fat Lever
Tyrone Hill
Nick Anderson
Allan Houston
J.J. Reddick
John Salley
Klay Thompson
Tom Van Arsdale
Curtis Rowe
Andris Biedrins
Cliff Robinson
Will Perdue

Jeffy25
07-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Reggie should win this one, but Klay Thompson may catch him before it's over.

Rivera
07-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Terrell Brandon 1995-1996 season is better than anyone on that list for a season.

Vinylman
07-17-2018, 07:28 PM
Anyone who starred in Cornbread Earl and Me has to be the pick

Vinylman
07-17-2018, 07:29 PM
And we was drafted as keith Wilkes get it right

cmellofan15
07-18-2018, 12:36 AM
Terrell Brandon 1995-1996 season is better than anyone on that list for a season.

Lmao this is just wrong. Kiki easily had two better seasons, unless this is sarcasm

Jeffy25
07-18-2018, 02:37 AM

Kiki was better for a solid like 5 years.

Dude was an under-rated scorer (badish teams and he got to shoot, but still).

ewing
07-18-2018, 10:02 AM

not unless he becomes a better basketball player

ewing
07-18-2018, 10:04 AM

Kiki could flat shoot it

Rivera
07-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Lmao this is just wrong. Kiki easily had two better seasons, unless this is sarcasm

no troll. Terell's 1995-1996 season is a better 1 season than anyone on that list. im not saying he was better, im not combining years. if I go year by year for 1 season, Brandons 95-96 season was better than anyone on that list

19 ppg 6 assists while being efficient (46% 39% from 3 88% from the line 57% TS) while playing solid D that season. He was worth almost 13 wins thats season

Hawkeye15
07-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Reggie here. Klay has a ways to go to catch him (likely won't). Kiki is next on this list.

mrblisterdundee
07-18-2018, 11:07 AM

I went with Klay. It's not a matter of if, but rather when he becomes known as better than Miller.

YAALREADYKNO
07-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Reggie

KingstonHawke
07-18-2018, 03:23 PM
Klay is a better player than Reggie.

Reggie is one of those overrated players historically. One of those players that is more legendary because of his personality than he would be if his game was all that did the talking.

Klay is the much better shooter and much better defender. Only advantage Reggie has career wise is longevity. He was a good player for a long time.

People overlook Klay like he's not a huge reason this dynasty exist. Without his heroics the Thunder beat the Warriors and Durant most likely re-signs. Klay is literally Reggie Miller 2.0 in my eyes.

Jeffy25
07-18-2018, 03:46 PM
not unless he becomes a better basketball player

I think Klay is better now than Reggie ever was.

But Reggie had a long peak and a long career. Klay hasn't even played 50% of the career games yet.

Hawkeye15
07-18-2018, 04:01 PM
here is my question regarding Klay-remove him from all that protection (he NEVER has the best perimeter defender checking him), and thrust the responsibility on him to carry a team for periods of time....is he really capable of what Reggie did?

If we were to give Klay all the responsibilities a star player has, is he still giving the effort he does defensively? Remember when he scored 60 points on like 13 dribbles total? Is that even possible if not for the freedom he is given with Steph/KD/Green gives him?

I am not saying Klay isn't a great player. I am saying, we don't even know what he really is if peeled away from that insanely talented roster. Is he a better version of JJ Reddick? Or he is really Reggie Miller? He doesn't appear to have the handles to go out and create his own shot nightly, and we all know being a gunner off the catch is great, but you better find the right situation.

ewing
07-18-2018, 06:25 PM

But Reggie had a long peak and a long career. Klay hasn't even played 50% of the career games yet.

Reggie was an elite scorer as a number one option. Klay's never been asked to do that. Like Klay he was at the top of the game as a shooter but he also had a mid range game, a post up game, and despite the narrative on here would take people off the bounce. Add in the fact that he is one of the few number one options you can point to and say that guy always got better in the post season and I think it is pretty clear Reggie was a better player (or should be, he's a guy that gets hate b/c of his Harden like flopping and awful personality)

Jeffy25
07-18-2018, 11:18 PM
Reggie was an elite scorer as a number one option. Klay's never been asked to do that. Like Klay he was at the top of the game as a shooter but he also had a mid range game, a post up game, and despite the narrative on here would take people off the bounce. Add in the fact that he is one of the few number one options you can point to and say that guy always got better in the post season and I think it is pretty clear Reggie was a better player (or should be, he's a guy that gets hate b/c of his Harden like flopping and awful personality)

I think it's hard to argue what Klay would look like as a number one.

But he is a legit threat from deep and man can he create buckets of thin air when he needs to. That 37 point quarter, that was a come to Jesus moment for what the guy can do. Hell, he hit another 3 after being intentionally fouled that quarter haha. He couldn't miss, no matter what he threw up.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I believe I saw that Klay Thompson has the highest catch and one dribble 3 point shoot in NBA history (or since they started checking it).

He does that catch and shoot or catch and fake so well, that when he does, and then he takes that one dribble after the catch, he has a shot he isn't going to miss.

He plays on a team, and in a system that allows him to thrive. It also, partially exists because of him (Curry wouldn't be who he is without Klay and vice versa).

Ewing, I was born in Indiana. I don't dislike the Pacers, and it was the early 80's when I was born. I liked Reggie, **** talking and all. He took contact very well for a shooter. But I think he is romanticized as a shooter because he was an elite shooter in an era where teams just didn't spread the ball and shoot from distance with volume. He was leading that charge at the time in a way.

But when I watch Klay, he just 'looks' like the superior player to me.

But also, as Hawk said, he hasn't had the elite defenders on him for 36 minutes a night either.

I'd love to see how he would do for a season in, for example, Sacramento. I think he'd be a lot like Devin Booker suddenly.

He'd have a 39 point game where he shot 14/28 FGA and 6/10 on 3's, and then he'd follow it up with a 13 point night where he shot 4/13 and 0/5 from 3.

He'd shoot .450/.425/.850 and get 25 per night

JordansBulls
07-18-2018, 11:32 PM

No he wasn't not even close. Klay now is like what Vinnie Johnson was.

Jeffy25
07-18-2018, 11:57 PM
No he wasn't not even close. Klay now is like what Vinnie Johnson was.

Haha, sure with that career 25% 3 point shot, being a non-starter not even good enough to replace Joe Dumars.

But that's as good as a top 5 3 point shooter ever.

ewing
07-19-2018, 08:35 AM
I think it's hard to argue what Klay would look like as a number one.

But he is a legit threat from deep and man can he create buckets of thin air when he needs to. That 37 point quarter, that was a come to Jesus moment for what the guy can do. Hell, he hit another 3 after being intentionally fouled that quarter haha. He couldn't miss, no matter what he threw up.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I believe I saw that Klay Thompson has the highest catch and one dribble 3 point shoot in NBA history (or since they started checking it).

He does that catch and shoot or catch and fake so well, that when he does, and then he takes that one dribble after the catch, he has a shot he isn't going to miss.

He plays on a team, and in a system that allows him to thrive. It also, partially exists because of him (Curry wouldn't be who he is without Klay and vice versa).

Ewing, I was born in Indiana. I don't dislike the Pacers, and it was the early 80's when I was born. I liked Reggie, **** talking and all. He took contact very well for a shooter. But I think he is romanticized as a shooter because he was an elite shooter in an era where teams just didn't spread the ball and shoot from distance with volume. He was leading that charge at the time in a way.

But when I watch Klay, he just 'looks' like the superior player to me.

But also, as Hawk said, he hasn't had the elite defenders on him for 36 minutes a night either.

I'd love to see how he would do for a season in, for example, Sacramento. I think he'd be a lot like Devin Booker suddenly.

He'd have a 39 point game where he shot 14/28 FGA and 6/10 on 3's, and then he'd follow it up with a 13 point night where he shot 4/13 and 0/5 from 3.

He'd shoot .450/.425/.850 and get 25 per night

Reggie always failed the eye test. he just won games and put up numbers. Unlike Klay not only was he a #1 he played in a slow down era on a slow down team that made the game physical as ****. Being as efficient as Reggie was on that team is no joke. Klay is an incredible shooter and can get hot as **** but some nights especially outside of GS you just aren't going to get that many catch and shoot opportunities.

mightybosstone
07-19-2018, 08:46 AM
Holy crap. How did Klay get four votes for this? Reggie is certainly overrated historically, but the guy is still a top 100 player all-time. Klay's not even one of he 20 best players in the NBA TODAY. Reggie's production crushes anything Klay has done in his career, and that's before you get into their postseason numbers. Reggie was a killer in the playoffs, and Klay has consistently shrunk time and time again.

Kiki has a better argument over Reggie than Klay does. When I created that thread a few months back claiming Thompson was overrated, a lot of people said I was crazy. And then there are posters actually arguing that Klay should be ranked ahead of Reggie Miller in an all-time conversation. I've said it before and I'll say it again--Klay Thompson is one of the most overrated athletes in all of professional sports.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Holy crap. How did Klay get four votes for this? Reggie is certainly overrated historically, but the guy is still a top 100 player all-time. Klay's not even one of he 20 best players in the NBA TODAY. Reggie's production crushes anything Klay has done in his career, and that's before you get into their postseason numbers. Reggie was a killer in the playoffs, and Klay has consistently shrunk time and time again.

Kiki has a better argument over Reggie than Klay does. When I created that thread a few months back claiming Thompson was overrated, a lot of people said I was crazy. And then there are posters actually arguing that Klay should be ranked ahead of Reggie Miller in an all-time conversation. I've said it before and I'll say it again--Klay Thompson is one of the most overrated athletes in all of professional sports.

with all that in mind, can you think of a better 4th option scenario in today's NBA? A guy who never whines, gets hurt, and never needs the ball except in catch and shoot, all while defending at a plus rate? The dude scored 60 on 13 dribbles. Harden dribbles 13 times before he crosses halfcourt.

mightybosstone
07-19-2018, 10:17 AM
with all that in mind, can you think of a better 4th option scenario in today's NBA? A guy who never whines, gets hurt, and never needs the ball except in catch and shoot, all while defending at a plus rate? The dude scored 60 on 13 dribbles. Harden dribbles 13 times before he crosses halfcourt.

I'm not saying he's not a great player. The dude will easily go down as one of the five greatest shooters in NBA history. But he's a glorified 3 and D role player who doesn't really create for himself and gets way too much credit for his defense. Sure, he has stretches where he does spectacular things from a scoring standpoint, but it's always fleeting. He can put up 25 in a quarter once in a blue moon, but he also has stretches where he completely disappears.

He's the guy who, when he's hot, he scares the crap out of you. And when he's missing, you're not remotely afraid of him, because he doesn't do anything else at an elite level. The Rockets series last year was a perfect example. He was dominant in Games 1 and 5, like legitimately terrifying and I was terrified every time he took a jump shot. But he also had a three game stretch where he scored 31 combined points on 38 shots and I was licking my chops every time he touched the ball.

That lack of consistency is what separates Thompson from other stars in the league and historically from a guy like Reggie Miller, who was the No. 1 offensive threat on most of those Indiana teams.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm not saying he's not a great player. The dude will easily go down as one of the five greatest shooters in NBA history. But he's a glorified 3 and D role player who doesn't really create for himself and gets way too much credit for his defense. Sure, he has stretches where he does spectacular things from a scoring standpoint, but it's always fleeting. He can put up 25 in a quarter once in a blue moon, but he also has stretches where he completely disappears.

He's the guy who, when he's hot, he scares the crap out of you. And when he's missing, you're not remotely afraid of him, because he doesn't do anything else at an elite level. The Rockets series last year was a perfect example. He was dominant in Games 1 and 5, like legitimately terrifying and I was terrified every time he took a jump shot. But he also had a three game stretch where he scored 31 combined points on 38 shots and I was licking my chops every time he touched the ball.

That lack of consistency is what separates Thompson from other stars in the league and historically from a guy like Reggie Miller, who was the No. 1 offensive threat on most of those Indiana teams.

Did you read my post on the top of this page? I am with you man. Furthermore, do we really even know what he would be as a primary option? Eh

mightybosstone
07-19-2018, 10:32 AM
Did you read my post on the top of this page? I am with you man. Furthermore, do we really even know what he would be as a primary option? Eh

I've been saying for years that I'd love to see him leave Golden State and try to make his mark as a No. 1 scoring option somewhere. I think it would elevate his game and force him to create for himself. He'd evolve beyond just a catch and shoot guy. But I just don't think that's who he is. He doesn't want to be that No. 1 guy and take on all the pressure that goes with it. He's fine being the 4th best player in Golden State and have other guys take the spotlight.

And while I won't knock someone for being happy in their current jobs, I'd respect him a hell of a lot more if he showed a little more ambition.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2018, 10:49 AM
I've been saying for years that I'd love to see him leave Golden State and try to make his mark as a No. 1 scoring option somewhere. I think it would elevate his game and force him to create for himself. He'd evolve beyond just a catch and shoot guy. But I just don't think that's who he is. He doesn't want to be that No. 1 guy and take on all the pressure that goes with it. He's fine being the 4th best player in Golden State and have other guys take the spotlight.

And while I won't knock someone for being happy in their current jobs, I'd respect him a hell of a lot more if he showed a little more ambition.

he is the guy I think LAL should chase next offseason. He would have the luxury of having LeBron, but would ease into playmaking over time out of necessity.

Jeffy25
07-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Reggie always failed the eye test. he just won games and put up numbers. Unlike Klay not only was he a #1 he played in a slow down era on a slow down team that made the game physical as ****. Being as efficient as Reggie was on that team is no joke. Klay is an incredible shooter and can get hot as **** but some nights especially outside of GS you just aren't going to get that many catch and shoot opportunities.

I don't disagree.

Gotta remember that I'm a fan for efficiency and this catch and shoot era in general. So I tend to elevate newer aged players in general. I think Klay is Devin Booker on a bad team, and what he is, in a good system.

I think over a 15-18 year career, I'd rather have Thompson. But that's probably just me.

Either way, taking Reggie here because he's actually done it. Klay is still potential.

Jeffy25
07-19-2018, 09:03 PM
he is the guy I think LAL should chase next offseason. He would have the luxury of having LeBron, but would ease into playmaking over time out of necessity.

That would be an incredible tandem.

Thompson would be the Pippen that LeBron always needed.

A scary 3 and D who can anchor a top scorer and will score very well off LeBron.

For all those LeBron talks about his help, that's the kind of help he actually needs. And the stars he's played next to have all been ball dominant guys. Thompson being off ball and a good defender is every thing he needs (and a lockdown defender in the paint as well).

mightybosstone
07-19-2018, 09:19 PM
I don't disagree.

Gotta remember that I'm a fan for efficiency and this catch and shoot era in general. So I tend to elevate newer aged players in general. I think Klay is Devin Booker on a bad team, and what he is, in a good system.

I think over a 15-18 year career, I'd rather have Thompson. But that's probably just me.

Either way, taking Reggie here because he's actually done it. Klay is still potential.

Except Reggie is a far more efficient scorer historically than Klay...

Jeffy25
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Except Reggie is a far more efficient scorer historically than Klay...

It's true, he is.

Points per FGA, TS, etc.

And Reggie gets the bulk of the defensive attention, Klay doesn't.