PDA

View Full Version : Isaiah Thomas to the Nuggets. 1-year, 2M

LOb0
07-13-2018, 01:29 AM
Man from 100m to 2 million feel terrible for the guy. Nice pick up for the Nugs tho.

Lakers + Giants
07-13-2018, 01:41 AM
Damn. Inb4 the brinks trucks jokes.

FlashBolt
07-13-2018, 01:42 AM
Prime example of why players who are injured shouldn't risk it. Not in today's league. His agent did a terrible job managing IT knowing that this injury could have been severe. Boston had zero chance (actually played better without him) of beating the Cavs that season. After his game vs the Wizards coming off his sister's death, he had nothing to prove. Lost out on nine figures, easily.

FlashBolt
Damn. Inb4 the brinks trucks jokes.

Gonna be a shopping cart instead, lmfao.

Lakers + Giants
btw, MTM. I told you we wouldn't overpay him. It was more obvious once LeBron joined but still, I called it right after the trade last year :cool:

More-Than-Most
07-13-2018, 01:51 AM
btw, MTM. I told you we wouldn't overpay him. It was more obvious once LeBron joined but still, I called it right after the trade last year :cool:

Yea bullet dodged... I have been saying how bad this dude is for years even when he was putting up good offensive numbers. Him getting injured was the best thing that could have happened to the celtics.

Jeffy25
07-13-2018, 02:01 AM
I'm actually surprised the Celtics didn't bring him back for the mid level and put him on the bench with Kyrie's injury concerns and Rozier being their only true backup PG

FlashBolt
07-13-2018, 02:27 AM
I'm actually surprised the Celtics didn't bring him back for the mid level and put him on the bench with Kyrie's injury concerns and Rozier being their only true backup PG

They don't need another wing/ball dominant guard. Rosier, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Kyrie. Maybe they resign Smart but really, IT does nothing for that team.

Lakers + Giants
07-13-2018, 02:56 AM
Yea bullet dodged... I have been saying how bad this dude is for years even when he was putting up good offensive numbers. Him getting injured was the best thing that could have happened to the celtics.

I wouldn't have minded him back on that deal. But once we got LeBron we knew IT was gone.

I still think we should've kept Randle as our center but his agent hates us.

Zo/Rondo
KCP
Ingram
LeBron
Randle

would've been fun af.

Jeffy25
07-13-2018, 03:19 AM
They don't need another wing/ball dominant guard. Rosier, Hayward, Brown, Tatum, Kyrie. Maybe they resign Smart but really, IT does nothing for that team.

I know, but he still averaged 28 per night just a year ago with that coaching system.

beasted86
07-13-2018, 05:05 AM
Surprised he chose a bench role in Denver (for sure Murray still starts) on a non contender with a saturated cap that probably won't be able to resign him.

I feel a better route would have been Orlando. Trying to elevate that team to a playoff berth and them still having the cap flexibility to "back up the brinks" next summer. Or how about a future with Indiana that realistically has no legit 2nd scorer and have Oladipo, and Turner to hide his flaws defensively? Maybe even Detroit again lifting a fringe team and possibly replacing often injured Reggie Jackson. They have zero other perimeter play makers.

Who is this guy's stupid agent?

Maybe he's going to be injured deep into the season start and wants a team with an offensive system that can get him easier looks. But otherwise I feel he and his agent are making horrible decisions and headlines.

zn23
07-13-2018, 07:21 AM
I like the move. Last season, the Nuggets really struggled with backup point guard play. Mudiay didn't work, Harris gave them like one good game, Thomas is better than both.

Also, the Nuggets got rid of Faried and Arthur in a salary dump move and are now under the luxury tax.

Tim Connelly making moves.

Burkey3472
07-13-2018, 08:31 AM
This is the definition of a low-risk-high-reward type signing. He is making peanuts, so if he sucks like last year it will cost them almost nothing and could probably cut. If he someone manages to return to his 16-17 self offensively (or close to it) they are getting a major bargain.

IndyRealist
07-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Surprised he chose a bench role in Denver (for sure Murray still starts) on a non contender with a saturated cap that probably won't be able to resign him.

I feel a better route would have been Orlando. Trying to elevate that team to a playoff berth and them still having the cap flexibility to "back up the brinks" next summer. Or how about a future with Indiana that realistically has no legit 2nd scorer and have Oladipo, and Turner to hide his flaws defensively? Maybe even Detroit again lifting a fringe team and possibly replacing often injured Reggie Jackson. They have zero other perimeter play makers.

Maybe he's going to be injured deep into the season start and wants a team with an offensive system that can get him easier looks. But otherwise I feel he and his agent are making horrible decisions and headlines.

His agent is Aaron Goodwin, who also has as clients: Will Barton, DeMarDerozan, Damian Lillard, Kevon Looney, and whoever Ivan Rabb is.

WaDe03
07-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Shows why players shouldn’t be loyal to franchises.

Mell413
07-13-2018, 09:29 AM

His defense leaves a lot to be desired, but he's still a productive player despite it. He's not a max level player, but he's not a bad player assuming he is healthy.

Silent
07-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Gonna be a shopping cart instead, lmfao.

:laugh:

Hawkeye15
07-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Very good signing for Denver. But, IT was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated when in Boston. i get he had a fantastic season, but those putting him in the upper tier of PG's were making a huge mistake.

IT at $2 million? Oh yeah. IT at over $10 million? No way.

Vinylman
07-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Very good signing for Denver. But, IT was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated when in Boston. i get he had a fantastic season, but those putting him in the upper tier of PG's were making a huge mistake.

I can't believe he signed this deal in Denver. Will he start or come off the bench? He should have gone to Phoenix before Denver.

Makes no sense but good for Denver... they are definitely upgrading that squad and dumping their bad deals for not much

smith&wesson
07-13-2018, 11:47 AM

Pretty sure he still worth 10 mill.. There’s players making that much and not even playing i:e Norman Powell

WaDe03
07-13-2018, 11:50 AM
ITs injury is what hurt his contract, he was worth way more than 10M before the injury.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2018, 12:14 PM
Pretty sure he still worth 10 mill.. There’s players making that much and not even playing i:e Norman Powell

just cause someone pays 1 guy a certain amount doesn't mean the market is set. IT is a bench PG to me, I am not paying him $10 million.

tp13baby
07-13-2018, 03:26 PM
I can't believe he signed this deal in Denver. Will he start or come off the bench? He should have gone to Phoenix before Denver.

Makes no sense but good for Denver... they are definitely upgrading that squad and dumping their bad deals for not much

He isn’t starting over Murray. He will run that second unit where he will be able for about 10 minutes a game get his shots up. Another 10ish playing alongside Murray/Harris.

beasted86
07-13-2018, 03:29 PM
just cause someone pays 1 guy a certain amount doesn't mean the market is set. IT is a bench PG to me, I am not paying him $10 million.

There's a bunch of 6th man types who have consistently gained more than $10M on a regular basis.
Crawford, J.R. Smith, Terry, Barton, Eric Gordon, Lou Williams... should I go on?

In the appropriate role, you can expect IT to come off the bench and drop 15 a night, and at certain nights be your team's lead scorer. That's definitely worth $10M+.

FlashBolt
07-13-2018, 03:33 PM

$10 million for an injured 5'8 guard who just scores the ball and doesn't make anyone better is a bit overpaid. Boston did a great job elevating IT but his injury concern and then teams seeing he may be a part of the system due to Boston still being great without him cost him a lot of money. If he was not injured, he'd get nine figures easily. Sadly, he's right up there in age and by the time the season begins after his current contract, he'll be a 30 year old 5'8 PG. He'd have to be insanely good to get anything above $10,000,000.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2018, 04:17 PM
There's a bunch of 6th man types who have consistently gained more than $10M on a regular basis.
Crawford, J.R. Smith, Terry, Barton, Eric Gordon, Lou Williams... should I go on?

In the appropriate role, you can expect IT to come off the bench and drop 15 a night, and at certain nights be your team's lead scorer. That's definitely worth $10M+.

IT was a flash in the pants though. If he is worth it, he will earn it.

Heediot
07-13-2018, 04:21 PM

Flash in the pan? Dude has been a consistent 6th man his whole career. You can make the case that he'll never be the same and might not earn the 10 plus million people say he could be worth, but the guys has been a consistent scorer every where he went aside from last year (relatively). Guys who can get buckets like him even with the atrocious d are good for the mle, which as of now is over 10 million no?

ZH721
07-13-2018, 04:25 PM

He wasn’t bad. He’s was really good until this past year.

Numbers proved it, eye test proved it. Your opinion doesn’t outweigh facts/stats.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Flash in the pan? Dude has been a consistent 6th man his whole career. You can make the case that he'll never be the same and might not earn the 10 plus million people say he could be worth, but the guys has been a consistent scorer every where he went aside from last year (relatively). Guys who can get buckets like him even with the atrocious d are good for the mle, which as of now is over 10 million no?

would you pay a midget who relies on quickness and craftiness who has a lingering hip issue a bunch of money?

I think everyone is overpaid in the NBA, so keep that in mind..

Heediot
07-13-2018, 04:45 PM
would you pay a midget who relies on quickness and craftiness who has a lingering hip issue a bunch of money?

I think everyone is overpaid in the NBA, so keep that in mind..

I don't know how you define 'flash in the pan', but to me it sounded like he was a one year wonder from the common definition. even if you take out the 28 ppg season, the guy has been consistently in the running for the 6th man award, that alone is worth the mle.

I do agree, I am skeptical about how is will be from now on. No he's not worth big money as he is right now, but I think you were downplaying his value in the past. he would of easily gotten 10 million if no hip injury happened.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2018, 04:54 PM
I don't know how you define 'flash in the pan', but to me it sounded like he was a one year wonder from the common definition. even if you take out the 28 ppg season, the guy has been consistently in the running for the 6th man award, that alone is worth the mle.

I do agree, I am skeptical about how is will be from now on. No he's not worth big money as he is right now, but I think you were downplaying his value in the past. he would of easily gotten 10 million if no hip injury happened.

one trick pony should have been the term I used I suppose. Yeah, I am just not high on 30+ dudes who are tiny and rely on speed.

beasted86
07-13-2018, 05:14 PM
See below>

Thomas is an 18.9 PPG regular season career scorer through 473 games and 22.6 playoffs scorer in 25 games (5 series).

Delusional to suggest he hasn't been consistent long enough.

beasted86
07-13-2018, 06:04 PM
one trick pony should have been the term I used I suppose. Yeah, I am just not high on 30+ dudes who are tiny and rely on speed.

There's a bunch of 1 dimensional 6th men types who are small and get paid. Not sure what your "cause" is against him. Terry is what? 6'1" and much weaker?

FlashBolt
07-13-2018, 06:06 PM
There's a bunch of 1 dimensional 6th men types who are small and get paid. Not sure what your "cause" is against him. Terry is what? 6'1" and much weaker?

Terry plays defense. Hardly the same. As consistent as IT has been, mainly it was on losing teams. Impossible to determine if he can do so on a team that requires him to get less touches/minutes for them to win.

beasted86
07-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Terry plays defense. Hardly the same. As consistent as IT has been, mainly it was on losing teams. Impossible to determine if he can do so on a team that requires him to get less touches/minutes for them to win.

Terry plays really basic below average defense. Not sure what you're watching.

FlashBolt
07-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Terry plays really basic below average defense. Not sure what you're watching.

He regressed on defense when Kyrie was injured and he had to take on more of an offensive role but Terry can be a dog at defense and because he's quick, he can cover a lot of ground. He's not great but he's definitely not below average. Compare that to IT who doesn't even try to play defense anymore and yes, Terry makes a lot more sense as a rotational player. The problem with IT will always be his height. It's just how it is.

Jeffy25
07-13-2018, 07:38 PM

Good points

flea
07-13-2018, 08:13 PM
Basically a can't-lose signing but they've already got enough midgets in the backcourt. If he's right you can't argue with his game in the modern NBA but it's like being a .225 AVG 35 HR hitter in the MLB. Even a slight regression from form and you're useless. I still wish prime Aaron Brooks could play in today's NBA.

ZH721
07-13-2018, 08:23 PM
He regressed on defense when Kyrie was injured and he had to take on more of an offensive role but Terry can be a dog at defense and because he's quick, he can cover a lot of ground. He's not great but he's definitely not below average. Compare that to IT who doesn't even try to play defense anymore and yes, Terry makes a lot more sense as a rotational player. The problem with IT will always be his height. It's just how it is.

Are you guys referring to the same Terry? Rozier is a really good defender.

I thought he was talking about Jason Terry at first.

beasted86
07-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Are you guys referring to the same Terry? Rozier is a really good defender.

I thought he was talking about Jason Terry at first.
I was he clearly has no idea apparently

IndyRealist
07-13-2018, 10:43 PM
The list had a bunch of last names, I don't know why anyone would Terry Rozier and not Jason Terry. Rozier hasn't even gotten paid yet so it doesn't make sense in the framework of the conversation.

sharqstealth
07-14-2018, 02:06 AM
So Earl Boykins has returned to Denver!!

steamroller
07-14-2018, 05:28 AM
Where's that Brinks Truck now?

Saddletramp
07-14-2018, 06:01 AM

You seem to not remember what happened last time he played for Phoenix.

TrustJoseph
07-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Anybody who tries to act like IT when healthy isn't worth 10 per is insane, dude can get tou 20 plus off the bench per night like wtf! Plenty of guards bigger than him dont play defense

minato_17
07-14-2018, 11:24 AM
A nugget will play for the Nuggets.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

tp13baby
07-14-2018, 12:39 PM
IT healthy is a 6th man of the year candidate. A pretty safe bet overall actually.

beasted86
07-14-2018, 12:43 PM
The list had a bunch of last names, I don't know why anyone would Terry Rozier and not Jason Terry. Rozier hasn't even gotten paid yet so it doesn't make sense in the framework of the conversation.
Exactly. Especially the context of 30+ year olds who are small and got paid well up into that higher age.

JLynn943
07-14-2018, 12:57 PM
Anybody who tries to act like IT when healthy isn't worth 10 per is insane, dude can get tou 20 plus off the bench per night like wtf! Plenty of guards bigger than him dont play defense

Yep. Great move for the Nuggets. Plus, IT has played well under Malone before in Sacramento. As for IT, he had to bank on a 1 year deal, and the Nuggets are a well-built team that he can make an impact on.

FlashBolt
07-14-2018, 04:23 PM
I was he clearly has no idea apparently

So instead of clarifying which player you were talking about, you're still upset that I said Heat have no idea what they're doing right now and would rather act like I'm the one being stupid. Lol. I thought you were referring to Rosier because he's also about 6'1.

FlashBolt
07-14-2018, 04:25 PM

Simple. Jason Terry hasn't been relevant for years so bringing him up flew past my mind. It was an honest miscommunication. I don't know why you think that is impossible.

beasted86
07-14-2018, 05:01 PM
So instead of clarifying which player you were talking about, you're still upset that I said Heat have no idea what they're doing right now and would rather act like I'm the one being stupid. Lol. I thought you were referring to Rosier because he's also about 6'1.

Common sense would tell you:

1) Rozier is not a household name and doesn't get the award of being called by his first name only (you're especially a clown for this)

2) Has never gotten a $10M+ contract

FlashBolt
07-14-2018, 06:00 PM
Common sense would tell you:

1) Rozier is not a household name and doesn't get the award of being called by his first name only (you're especially a clown for this)

2) Has never gotten a $10M+ contract

It was an honest miscommunication in which you could have easily clarified. I just don't see how a 5'8 player who needs the ball consistently coming off your bench should get that kind of money unless it is on a poor team trying to rebuild. He's not a great passer, leader, defender, or rebounder so what are you really getting from him that you can't get from someone younger and try to develop?

TylerSL
07-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Denver is going to a playoff team next year, they are young and deep.

Murray/IT
G. Harris/D. Harris
Barton/Porter Jr
Millsap/Lyles
Jokic/Plumlee

No outright superstar, but they were on the cusp last year and they have had a good offseason.

tp13baby
07-14-2018, 10:59 PM
Denver is going to a playoff team next year, they are young and deep.

Murray/IT
G. Harris/D. Harris
Barton/Porter Jr
Millsap/Lyles
Jokic/Plumlee

No outright superstar, but they were on the cusp last year and they have had a good offseason.

Devin Harris isn’t coming back. Craig and Beasley will duke it out for that position. SF position backup will be a crazy battle too.

beasted86
07-15-2018, 11:01 AM
It was an honest miscommunication in which you could have easily clarified. I just don't see how a 5'8 player who needs the ball consistently coming off your bench should get that kind of money unless it is on a poor team trying to rebuild. He's not a great passer, leader, defender, or rebounder so what are you really getting from him that you can't get from someone younger and try to develop?

Scoring. Duh?

You talk like there's a ton of players you can plug in off the bench for a main scorer on your team and not have any drop off or actually in some cases outscore the starter.

Thomas is super valuable if healthy. The only crutch you guys can fall back on is his health. All other circumstances he's worth $10M+ easily.

TakeYourL
07-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Thomas is pretty washed already tbh.

Last season you didn't see him ever try to attack the rim, jumping as high as he could, around defenders, that was his bread and butter.

he would contort his arm in the air and find the space where he could flick the ball over defenders, and he would do it constantly. Celtics knew he wouldn't be able to do that anymore with hip problems.

Without that he's not much of a threat.

TrustJoseph
07-15-2018, 12:34 PM
Wasn't he just coming off a serious injury last season? This year will determine if he's back or finished.

goingfor28
07-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Very low risk, potentially very high reward. Good signing imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Scoots
07-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Prime example of why players who are injured shouldn't risk it. Not in today's league. His agent did a terrible job managing IT knowing that this injury could have been severe. Boston had zero chance (actually played better without him) of beating the Cavs that season. After his game vs the Wizards coming off his sister's death, he had nothing to prove. Lost out on nine figures, easily.

I've never seen a team willing to pay him that ... who do you think was going to pay 9 figures for him?