PDA

View Full Version : Who Kept the Spurs Together After All These Years ? : TIM DUNCAN

LaVar Ball
07-08-2018, 12:27 PM
I think it's a misconception that Gregg Popovich was the guy who instilled and established the culture of the Spurs. If you see, things started to get out of hand once Timmy D retired.

LaMarcus demanded a trade, this whole Kawhi debacle and Pop playing politics and having TP and Manu do his dirty work, TP a former finals MVP who should've retired as a Spur is now a Hornet.

I assure you none of this Kawhi stuff would have been going on if Tim Duncan was still there. He would have never allowed Pop to go to Manu and Tony to pull that ****.

Tim Duncan was the guy who kept everyone together and helped weather the storm that is/was Gregg Popovich all these years.

IKnowHoops
07-08-2018, 12:48 PM
David Robinson...he is the reason Tim didnít leave to Orlando Magic with Tmac and Grant Hill

ewing
07-08-2018, 01:20 PM
Stephan Jackson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smith&wesson
07-08-2018, 01:37 PM
David Robinson...he is the reason Tim didnít leave to Orlando Magic with Tmac and Grant Hill

Yep it was Robinson originally, and the torch was passed to Duncan. Has the NBA ever seen two more diciplined players ?

The spurs should have blew it up and rebuilt after Duncan. LA and an old Pau were never going to fill Duncans shoes. And although Gino and Parker aged well they are both clearly a shell of their former selves.

Jamiecballer
07-08-2018, 01:38 PM
I think it's a misconception that Gregg Popovich was the guy who instilled and established the culture of the Spurs. If you see, things started to get out of hand once Timmy D retired.

LaMarcus demanded a trade, this whole Kawhi debacle and Pop playing politics and having TP and Manu do his dirty work, TP a former finals MVP who should've retired as a Spur is now a Hornet.

I assure you none of this Kawhi stuff would have been going on if Tim Duncan was still there. He would have never allowed Pop to go to Manu and Tony to pull that ****.

Tim Duncan was the guy who kept everyone together and helped weather the storm that is/was Gregg Popovich all these years.no

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

smith&wesson
07-08-2018, 01:39 PM
no

Thereís def some merit to what he is saying. I actually wouldnít be surprised if Pops retired soon.

kdspurman
07-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Yep it was Robinson originally, and the torch was passed to Duncan. Has the NBA ever seen two more diciplined players ?

The spurs should have blew it up and rebuilt after Duncan. LA and an old Pau were never going to fill Duncans shoes. And although Gino and Parker aged well they are both clearly a shell of their former selves.

Well, they had a guy who looked to be their future and were just in the WCF. No one expected the crazy uncle to screw it up.

They rebuilt on the fly, in Duncan's last years, without having to tank. And looked to be in great shape moving forward

kdspurman
07-08-2018, 01:44 PM
And re: this thread, Timmy of course was a big part of the culture.

Aldridge had nothing to do with Pop. Kawhi's situation has nothing to do with Pop. Parker's had nothing to do with Pop.

Its funny seeing people spin stories to try and create things that aren't there or looking to place blame.

Jamiecballer
07-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Thereís def some merit to what he is saying. I actually wouldnít be surprised if Pops retired soon.I don't think there is any.

it's I pooped blood after eating corn therefore eating corn makes you poop blood.

burtgummer
07-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Duncan was the last of the NBA good guys.
A guy who cared about his community,cared more about winning than $$ and a guy who cared about his team mates
Unfortunately that era is long over and now the NBA is a cesspool of greedy millionaires in short pants

mike_noodles
07-08-2018, 01:49 PM

Tim Duncan was the guy who kept everyone together and helped weather the storm that is/was Gregg Popovich all these years.

I agree with you and I can remember the Raptors play by play team talking about how Pops could hold Duncan accountable, and would do so in front of the rest of the team. It says a lot when your superstar can take the criticism and not ask for a trade. Everyone else fell in line because Tim lead by example.

SteBO
07-08-2018, 02:03 PM
And re: this thread, Timmy of course was a big part of the culture.

Aldridge had nothing to do with Pop. Kawhi's situation has nothing to do with Pop. Parker's had nothing to do with Pop.

Its funny seeing people spin stories to try and create things that aren't there or looking to place blame.
Timmy is just a different personality from most NBA players, and it was just so damn refreshing....never really into the obnoxious self marketing modern NBA players do more of now, just into helping his teammates and winning. Boring as it may have been to most, it never went under appreciated by me.

As for your story-spinning point, itís why the attempt to watch ESPN and/or FS1, the latter being much worse, has been very difficult. Iím pro-player a lot, but I donít get how the Spurs can get pinned on anything here. Weíre talking about a class-act organization.

kdspurman
07-08-2018, 03:26 PM
Thereís def some merit to what he is saying. I actually wouldnít be surprised if Pops retired soon.

Well, he's been coaching for 20+ years and will be 71 when his most recent contract is up, + his commitment to Team USA basketball.

If he does retire, it won't be because of what has happened this year or whatever stories people are trying to create. It'll be because he's been coaching forever and is ready to retire.

kdspurman
07-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Timmy is just a different personality from most NBA players, and it was just so damn refreshing....never really into the obnoxious self marketing modern NBA players do more of now, just into helping his teammates and winning. Boring as it may have been to most, it never went under appreciated by me.

As for your story-spinning point, itís why the attempt to watch ESPN and/or FS1, the latter being much worse, has been very difficult. Iím pro-player a lot, but I donít get how the Spurs can get pinned on anything here. Weíre talking about a class-act organization.

Yea, Timmy was one of a kind. Idk if we'll ever see a player of his stature again be the type of teammate/person he was in the locker room and on the court. It's one of the many things that made him so special

And exactly. This is not a normal situation, or a reflection on the organization as much as it is the player/'agent' in this scenario. It is what it is at this point, it's just funny to see people trying to connect dots that aren't there.

FlashBolt
07-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Would we be talking about this if it were any other team? Spurs have been great for so long and that's the only reason we bring this up. Pop was able to get near 50 wins with a roster led by LMA in the West. Tim Duncan was huge but ya'll were saying Pop was the reason Tim was so great before Tim retired. Make up your minds.

ewing
07-08-2018, 04:05 PM
They are breaking up bc of Becky Hammon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ty Fast
07-08-2018, 07:07 PM

They won 67 games in duncans last yr so why would u blow that up

Ty Fast
07-08-2018, 07:08 PM
A guy who cared about his community,cared more about winning than $$ and a guy who cared about his team mates
Unfortunately that era is long over and now the NBA is a cesspool of greedy millionaires in short pants

Id say dirk is the last good guy

Jayb587
07-08-2018, 07:39 PM
I think the Duncan angle is valid . He had a big hand in the continued success and continuity of the team. Unselfish easy going good soldier.

I think pop thought kawhi would be the same type of guy. Certainly not the case.

kdspurman
07-08-2018, 08:05 PM
They won 67 games in duncans last yr so why would u blow that up

And 61 the next year, after TD left

steamroller
07-12-2018, 02:28 AM
Id say dirk is the last good guy

Dirk was legit. He should retire though. His Lebron slaying was one of the best things I've ever seen. If you thought Durant was weak, revisit Lebron in 2011.

Dirk, TD, Parker, Ginobili, Durant, Klay, Steph, but also the Heat Big 3, the Celtics Big 3, they all had something in common. All of those teams and players were willing to give up salary and individual stats in order to win a ring. Or five.

And that's something that Hardon, CP3 and Cappella aren't willing to do. These guys want to squeeze every last dollar out of ownership that they can, knowing that this will force their team to lowball role players and/or let them go. The rockets can kiss their championship aspirations goodbye, and the rockets' players have no one to blame but themselves.

JAZZNC
07-12-2018, 04:32 AM
Dirk was legit. He should retire though. His Lebron slaying was one of the best things I've ever seen. If you thought Durant was weak, revisit Lebron in 2011.

Dirk, TD, Parker, Ginobili, Durant, Klay, Steph, but also the Heat Big 3, the Celtics Big 3, they all had something in common. All of those teams and players were willing to give up salary and individual stats in order to win a ring. Or five.

And that's something that Hardon, CP3 and Cappella aren't willing to do. These guys want to squeeze every last dollar out of ownership that they can, knowing that this will force their team to lowball role players and/or let them go. The rockets can kiss their championship aspirations goodbye, and the rockets' players have no one to blame but themselves.

You make it seem like saying "No thanks" to millions of dollars is an easy thing to do.

Hawkeye15
07-12-2018, 09:31 AM

I think it is more with the front office, but the game has changed. There is no loyalty in sports anymore, with FA becoming the monster it is. It might well be Pops just can't stand the younger entitled generation coming in either. I can't.

Tim Duncan was a huge part of the culture though. He is the perfect superstar. Stays out of trouble, doesn't talk, doesn't cause problems, robotic consistency, etc.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-12-2018, 02:06 PM
I don't think there is any.

it's I pooped blood after eating corn therefore eating corn makes you poop blood.

That's gross

Redrum187
07-12-2018, 04:02 PM

You forgot Dirk. That's why Dirk and Duncan are my 1A and 1B favorites of all time.

JAZZNC
07-13-2018, 03:23 AM
I always kind of laugh at the "Spurs system". Yes they have very good people at the top of the organization but does anybody really give a **** about the Spurs if the TD gets drafted by the Celtics? Duncan was what made it all work. Yes they have done a good job over the years with a few players and Pops is a phenomenal coach but without Duncan none of it pans out like it did and there is very likely zero Championship trophies residing in S.A. at the moment.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2018, 09:20 AM
I always kind of laugh at the "Spurs system". Yes they have very good people at the top of the organization but does anybody really give a **** about the Spurs if the TD gets drafted by the Celtics? Duncan was what made it all work. Yes they have done a good job over the years with a few players and Pops is a phenomenal coach but without Duncan none of it pans out like it did and there is very likely zero Championship trophies residing in S.A. at the moment.

while I agree, let's not pretend they didn't win an average of 58 games a year the 3 seasons prior to D-Rob and Elliot getting hurt and them tanking to get Duncan. Obviously Duncan is the biggest reason they competed long term into the 2000's, but they already had a very good team in place, and with Manu/TP, would have been really good anyways.

I don't mean to downplay Duncan's impact, but he walked into an amazing front office and culture. He was able to keep continuity going and was the perfect superstar for them. I would agree, they likely don't have any chips without him.

This is coming from someone who HATED San Antonio for years because of their tank job for 1 single ****ing year. My Wolves sucked forever and could never get anyone on Duncan's level. Just amazing timing for the Spurs...

Jamiecballer
07-13-2018, 03:10 PM
while I agree, let's not pretend they didn't win an average of 58 games a year the 3 seasons prior to D-Rob and Elliot getting hurt and them tanking to get Duncan. Obviously Duncan is the biggest reason they competed long term into the 2000's, but they already had a very good team in place, and with Manu/TP, would have been really good anyways.

I don't mean to downplay Duncan's impact, but he walked into an amazing front office and culture. He was able to keep continuity going and was the perfect superstar for them. I would agree, they likely don't have any chips without him.

This is coming from someone who HATED San Antonio for years because of their tank job for 1 single ****ing year. My Wolves sucked forever and could never get anyone on Duncan's level. Just amazing timing for the Spurs...don't be sad hawk, you know you guys would have ****ed it up anyways

Hawkeye15
07-13-2018, 03:42 PM
don't be sad hawk, you know you guys would have ****ed it up anyways

oh for sure. There are just some teams that will never get it right. My Wolves is one of these teams

But, 10 years ago, the Warriors were in the same boat..

WhiteShadow42
07-13-2018, 04:08 PM
I do see players (and people in general) being more entitled than they use to be. When I first went into the military 26 years ago, we just did our job. Never said anything and very very rarely questioned an order. By the time I was retiring last year it was completely the opposite. People wanted medals for just doing their jobs. Always complaining on why so and so got a promotion and they did not. And if you even raised your voice, they went and complained that they were mistreated.

Just trying to take another angle to what you guys have been saying. Although I've been a Lakers fan since 78, I have great respect for Duncan, Pop, TP, Manu and so on. Don't care for that disgruntled attitude even if it's warranted. You show up to work and just do your job and leave the BS at home. Again I am not aware of what is exactly going on there between Kawhi and Pop, but for this to happen to the best run organization over the last 20 years lets me to believe it's more the players than the organization. Just my two cents.

steamroller
07-13-2018, 04:49 PM
You make it seem like saying "No thanks" to millions of dollars is an easy thing to do.

Like I said, that's what separates the champs from the also-rans. CP3 isn't a champ. Cappella isn't a champ. Hardon isn't a champ. Unless you consider the speed at which he's going broke pissing money away at strip clubs.

steamroller
07-13-2018, 04:50 PM
I do see players (and people in general) being more entitled than they use to be. When I first went into the military 26 years ago, we just did our job. Never said anything and very very rarely questioned an order. By the time I was retiring last year it was completely the opposite. People wanted medals for just doing their jobs. Always complaining on why so and so got a promotion and they did not. And if you even raised your voice, they went and complained that they were mistreated.

Just trying to take another angle to what you guys have been saying. Although I've been a Lakers fan since 78, I have great respect for Duncan, Pop, TP, Manu and so on. Don't care for that disgruntled attitude even if it's warranted. You show up to work and just do your job and leave the BS at home. Again I am not aware of what is exactly going on there between Kawhi and Pop, but for this to happen to the best run organization over the last 20 years lets me to believe it's more the players than the organization. Just my two cents.

I've volunteered with military over the past few years. I was shocked when they told me they were military: short women, fat women, skinny, short beanpole guys with bad posture. If these are our elite fighting units, we're in a lot of trouble.

Hawkeye15
07-13-2018, 04:52 PM

take a gander at what 1 million gets you for a home in San Antonio, TX. Now take a gander at LA, NY, NJ, Chicago, etc.

It's a LOT easier giving up millions when all you need is a few million to live happily ever after where you already are.

steamroller
07-13-2018, 04:54 PM
take a gander at what 1 million gets you for a home in San Antonio, TX. Now take a gander at LA, NY, NJ, Chicago, etc.

It's a LOT easier giving up millions when all you need is a few million to live happily ever after where you already are.

Durant is giving up tens of millions in the Bay Area. Champs sacrifice for their teams.

WhiteShadow42
07-13-2018, 07:49 PM
I've volunteered with military over the past few years. I was shocked when they told me they were military: short women, fat women, skinny, short beanpole guys with bad posture. If these are our elite fighting units, we're in a lot of trouble.

LOL true that.

flea
07-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Pop and the FO definitely deserve credit for what they've managed to do, but that's been mostly at the margins. Fans seriously overrate coaches in the NBA, IMO they are much closer to managers in baseball than they are coaches in football. Tim Duncan was going to win with anyone or no one as coach. Hell Pop was about to be canned if it hadn't been for Duncan propelling a rebuilding to 55 wins every year - and this was before Parker/Manu. That said he is obviously one of the 5-10 greatest NBA coaches ever.

I do think it's fair to say that Pop's schtick likely wouldn't have played so long if it hadn't been for Duncan. He'd either have been fired for not winning enough or fired because his superstar wanted to score 25 a night and his role players wouldn't take the barking. He's a college coach that miraculously made it in the NBA due to a unique circumstance. If Pitino and Pop had switched places I don't think Spurs win any less, and maybe more.

steamroller
07-13-2018, 11:00 PM
Pop and the FO definitely deserve credit for what they've managed to do, but that's been mostly at the margins. Fans seriously overrate coaches in the NBA, IMO they are much closer to managers in baseball than they are coaches in football. Tim Duncan was going to win with anyone or no one as coach. Hell Pop was about to be canned if it hadn't been for Duncan propelling a rebuilding to 55 wins every year - and this was before Parker/Manu. That said he is obviously one of the 5-10 greatest NBA coaches ever.

I do think it's fair to say that Pop's schtick likely wouldn't have played so long if it hadn't been for Duncan. He'd either have been fired for not winning enough or fired because his superstar wanted to score 25 a night and his role players wouldn't take the barking. He's a college coach that miraculously made it in the NBA due to a unique circumstance. If Pitino and Pop had switched places I don't think Spurs win any less, and maybe more.

This is totally asinine. Pop implemented an unselfish, half court, hot potato ball movement style of basketball which paved the way for the current Kerr dynasty. It's no coincidence that Kerr played under both Pop and PJax, which allowed for the more intelligent teams to move away from the superstar ISO-hero ball style of play which still plagues the NBA to a great degree.

Yes, you needed unselfish guys who bought in: Duncan, Robinson, Elliott, Avery Johnson, Tony Parker, Ginobili, etc., but then again give credit to the front office and coach for choosing the right players and creating a culture where unselfish play would flourish.

I've seen some dumb takes on PSD, actually it's the norm, but yours is one of the dumbest.

flea
07-14-2018, 03:22 PM
This is totally asinine. Pop implemented an unselfish, half court, hot potato ball movement style of basketball which paved the way for the current Kerr dynasty. It's no coincidence that Kerr played under both Pop and PJax, which allowed for the more intelligent teams to move away from the superstar ISO-hero ball style of play which still plagues the NBA to a great degree.

Pop did nothing that Dantoni hadn't already done. Plus the P&R ball movement was only 1 of his 5 rings - the other 4 were Duncan on the block, slow pace, play defense with more screen and roll as Parker go towards his prime. 2013-2014 was more a result of having an old team that had played together a long time, plus Diaw who is one of the best playmaking 4 men the game has seen in the last 20 years. I give Pop credit for adapting but I give a lot more credit to the 4 primary contributors to that offense (Duncan, Parker, Manu, and Diaw to a lesser extent) who spent a long time honing their play together instead of team-hopping.

Jackson ran the triple post offense and nothing else, even tried to force Carmelo Anthony and a bunch of other losers in NYC to utilize it. So uh not sure how he can be said to move away from ISO ball or adapt because he decidedly did neither. Again he was a good coach for managing egos and getting everyone on the same page, like a baseball manager, but he was no wizard with the clipboard.

Yes, you needed unselfish guys who bought in: Duncan, Robinson, Elliott, Avery Johnson, Tony Parker, Ginobili, etc., but then again give credit to the front office and coach for choosing the right players and creating a culture where unselfish play would flourish.

I've seen some dumb takes on PSD, actually it's the norm, but yours is one of the dumbest.

Avery Johnson and Sean Elliott didn't buy into anything except for the fact that they had Tim Duncan and shouldn't screw that up. Elliott was a good scorer in his prime but was nothing more than a role player by the time Duncan got drafted. Same for Robinson, who admirably stood aside even though he was still in his early 30s and could have demanded touches but instead played a supporting role for his team's young star. Again, what did Pop have to do with that?

I've seen some random people talk about things they don't know anything about on this site and this post is just one more in an unremarkable line of them.

Hawkeye15
07-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Durant is giving up tens of millions in the Bay Area. Champs sacrifice for their teams.

Season Team Lg Salary
2007-08 Seattle SuperSonics NBA $4,171,200
2008-09 Oklahoma City Thunder NBA $4,484,040
2009-10 Oklahoma City Thunder NBA $4,796,880
2010-11 Oklahoma City Thunder NBA $6,053,663
2011-12 Oklahoma City Thunder NBA $15,506,632
2012-13 Oklahoma City Thunder NBA $16,669,630
2013-14 Oklahoma City Thunder NBA $17,832,627
2014-15 Oklahoma City Thunder NBA $18,995,624
2015-16 Oklahoma City Thunder NBA $20,158,622
2016-17 Golden State Warriors NBA $26,540,100
Career (may be incomplete) $135,209,018
Contract
Free Agent/Player/Team/Early Termination
Team 2017-18 2018-19 2019-20
Golden State Warriors $25,000,000 $30,000,000 $31,500,000

Hopefully he can get a part time job to make ends meet when he is done with bball.