PDA

View Full Version : Woj: Nurkic signs for 4 years, $48 million with Blazers

mightybosstone
07-07-2018, 09:16 AM
Restricted free agent center Jusuf Nurkic has agreed to a four-year, $48 million deal to stay with the Portland Trail Blazers, a league source told ESPN.

Nurkic, 23, turned down a more lucrative four-year deal several months ago, but the marketplace has tightened and he chose to take this deal on Friday, sources said. The deal includes a partial guarantee in the fourth year.

Nurkic averaged 14.3 points, 9 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game for the Blazers, who earned the No. 3 seed in the Western Conference. He has averaged 10.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in his four seasons between the Denver Nuggets and Trail Blazers.

Portland added guards Nik Stauskas and Seth Curry in free agency this summer, ESPN reported this week.

Denver traded Nurkic to Portland for Mason Plumlee and a first-round pick in February 2016. He was the 16th overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24015723/jusuf-nurkic-agrees-4-year-48-million-deal-remain-portland-trail-blazers

I'm shocked no one posted about this deal, considering this news broke yesterday morning and Nurkic was definitely one of the better free agents left on the market. This is one of the better deals I've seen in free agency so far this summer for a guy who almost certainly would have made close to max money two summers ago. Good job by a Blazers front office that has made some pretty questionable signings in recent years.

mightybosstone
07-07-2018, 09:18 AM
On a side note, I think this definitely sets the market for Capela, who is also a young restricted free agent with a fairly similar skill set. He'll probably make a little more than this, but I don't think it will be by much. I'm thinking something in the 4 years, $60 million-$65 million range.

IndyRealist
07-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Feel like Capela is infinitely better than Nurkic, but not being an offensive player is going to hurt his value more than anything else.

KobeOwnSU
07-07-2018, 10:39 AM
Thats a good deal for Portland.

JOSKOMANG4
07-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Love the deal for Portland. Now imo, they have the amo to trade for hometown guy Kevin Love.

- Love to Blazers for J.Collins, Aminu, M.Harkless, contract of Gary Trent, and 2019 protected 1st rd pick & 2021 unprotected 1st.

POR: Nurkic/Love/Turner/CJ/Dame
B: Leonard, Swanigan, Staukus, Curry, Baldwin, Simons, Paps, Layman, Wilcox

CLE: TT/nance/Osman/Hood/G.Hill
B: Collins, Aminu, Harkless, Clarkson, Sexton, Zizic ,JR, Trent, Korver.

Why CLE? great value trade for Love. Acquiring 4-building blocks w/trade: Collins, Trent, 2019 & 2021 1st. Expiring deal w/value: Aminu. Stretch-4 vet in Harkless. *i also see buying out/trading the contracts for G.Hill, JR Smith, and K.Korver

Heediot
07-08-2018, 01:04 PM
On a side note, I think this definitely sets the market for Capela, who is also a young restricted free agent with a fairly similar skill set. He'll probably make a little more than this, but I don't think it will be by much. I'm thinking something in the 4 years, $60 million-$65 million range.

Capela is going to get 20+ million per, considering what dj got plus the guy is a lot younger vs. DJ, just my take.

tp13baby
07-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Good deal for Nurk. He still has potential to take a huge step and him being in the talk of elite centers in this league.

bleedprple&gold
07-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Love the deal for Portland. Now imo, they have the amo to trade for hometown guy Kevin Love.

- Love to Blazers for J.Collins, Aminu, M.Harkless, contract of Gary Trent, and 2019 protected 1st rd pick & 2021 unprotected 1st.

POR: Nurkic/Love/Turner/CJ/Dame
B: Leonard, Swanigan, Staukus, Curry, Baldwin, Simons, Paps, Layman, Wilcox

CLE: TT/nance/Osman/Hood/G.Hill
B: Collins, Aminu, Harkless, Clarkson, Sexton, Zizic ,JR, Trent, Korver.

Why CLE? great value trade for Love. Acquiring 4-building blocks w/trade: Collins, Trent, 2019 & 2021 1st. Expiring deal w/value: Aminu. Stretch-4 vet in Harkless. *i also see buying out/trading the contracts for G.Hill, JR Smith, and K.Korver

Paul George and Jimmy Butler can't even fetch a 1st and Love is going to fetch two?? Right...

nastynice
07-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Great signing by portland

mightybosstone
07-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Capela is going to get 20+ million per, considering what dj got plus the guy is a lot younger vs. DJ, just my take.
That was for one season. There's a massive difference between getting that kind of money for one year and averaging that over 4-5 seasons.

Heediot
07-08-2018, 04:25 PM
That was for one season. There's a massive difference between getting that kind of money for one year and averaging that over 4-5 seasons.

I think if he plays out the qualifying offer, he will get a fat contract in the offseason. Houston is low-balling him and has more leverage right now. If he does not like the offers from Houston or doesn't get a offer sheet from someone else, he'll play the qo and get a max contract offer from someone for sure as a ufa.

DJ got like 84 over 4 from the clippers when he was 26.

If Dallas doesn't like what they see in DJ, or if the experiment fails, I can see Dallas ponying up a fat contract. They offered DJ a big one 3-4 years ago as well. There may be other suitors too, Dallas is just one example.

aman_13
07-08-2018, 06:10 PM
That's a nice deal for the Blazers.

mightybosstone
07-08-2018, 10:17 PM
I think if he plays out the qualifying offer, he will get a fat contract in the offseason. Houston is low-balling him and has more leverage right now. If he does not like the offers from Houston or doesn't get a offer sheet from someone else, he'll play the qo and get a max contract offer from someone for sure as a ufa.

DJ got like 84 over 4 from the clippers when he was 26.

If Dallas doesn't like what they see in DJ, or if the experiment fails, I can see Dallas ponying up a fat contract. They offered DJ a big one 3-4 years ago as well. There may be other suitors too, Dallas is just one example.

Assuming he ends up signing the qualifying offer and becomes an UFA next summer, yeah, he could get something close to a max deal. But I'm not talking about next year, I'm talking about right now. And there are zero teams with cap room and Capela has zero leverage. Right now, he'd be damn lucky to get 4 years, $70 million+.

mrblisterdundee
07-09-2018, 12:43 AM
The Blazers had to hang on to him after another generally underwhelming offseason. That's a pretty good deal, considering his upside, age and demeanor so far in Portland. He wants to get better, and he wants to be in Portland.
Hopefully the Blazers develop Collins as a stretch four next to Nurkic. They could make a decent front court. Hopefully Aminu's shot falls enough for him to start at the three. He shot 38 percent from deep last year, so I'm hopeful.

steamroller
07-09-2018, 04:02 AM
Feel like Capela is infinitely better than Nurkic, but not being an offensive player is going to hurt his value more than anything else.

Infinitely better? Nurk averages 20 ppg, 12 rpg, 2 bpg per 36, cappella 18, 14 and 2.4. Pretty close. Nurk is a superior offensive player. Clint's offensive output consists solely of lob dunks. Not surprisingly, they've been offered almost identical contracts. The difference is that Nurk signed his while Clint is pouting.

$53 million is beyond fair for a player who has exactly zero offensive moves aside from being able to dunk. News flash: there are a lot of 6'10" players in the nba who can dunk.

steamroller
07-09-2018, 04:04 AM

If he's being offered $13 mil per season this offseason, there's very little chance he'll be offered more next season when the crop of available free agents will be much stronger.

This has nerlens noel pt2 written all over it.

FlashBolt
07-09-2018, 07:47 AM
Infinitely better? Nurk averages 20 ppg, 12 rpg, 2 bpg per 36, cappella 18, 14 and 2.4. Pretty close. Nurk is a superior offensive player. Clint's offensive output consists solely of lob dunks. Not surprisingly, they've been offered almost identical contracts. The difference is that Nurk signed his while Clint is pouting.

$53 million is beyond fair for a player who has exactly zero offensive moves aside from being able to dunk. News flash: there are a lot of 6'10" players in the nba who can dunk.

What are you talking about? If you put Nurkic in the Rockets, he'd be useless to them. What one player is worth is based on which type of team you're trying to create and a player like Capela has immense value because:

1) Doesn't need the ball.
2) Plays defense and hustles for possessions.
3) Can finish around the rim.
4) Very mobile center.

Capela just "dunks" but that's sometimes all you really need with the way the game is played today. Nurkic can't play defense and needs the ball to be truly effective. Capela can go two quarters straight without touching the ball and have a vital impact on the game.

IndyRealist
07-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Infinitely better. Only 2pt/36 difference between them, yet Nurkic has a TS% of 52.8% while Capela is at 65.2%. Context. Capela's usage is 19% while Nurkic's is 26.4%, to get you virtually the same amount of points. That's 12 vs 16.4 shots per 36, or 4 wasted shots per 36 because Nurkic was on the floor instead of Capela. And given that Lillard is at 59.4% TS, they are wasted shots.

Does Capela have two of the best set up men in the league throwing him lobs? Yes. Is he perfect for his role? Also yes. Is it his fault Houston built a better team than Portland did? Not really. Everybody looks better when you're winning.

Capela is more valuable because his skills don't require you to build the offense around him, yet he still gives you great value offensively.

steamroller
07-09-2018, 11:39 PM
LOL, no, Nurk is a plus player on any team.

1. Cappella doesn't "need" the ball because he has no offensive skillset aside from dunking the ball. There are lots of 6'9"+ players with long arms who can dunk btw. And many of them aren't paid very well. Take Nerlens Noel for example. He just signed for a year at the league minimum. Same with Javale McGee.

CC is basically a slightly shorter version of McGee without the asthma.

2. Again, there are lots of 6'9"+ players who are willing to hustle and play D, esp. if they have no offensive skills to speak of. That's the only way they can survive in the league.

3. Again, just about anyone 6'9"+ can dunk.

4. Very mobile, meaning he doesn't trip over his own two feet while dunking? OK, I'll grant you that.

5. Nurkic is not as effective a defender as CC, true. He doesn't have the reach nor the vertical. Then again, he expends a lot more energy on offense, because he has an actual skillset on that end of the floor. He is far more versatile and useful for more teams in the nba as a result.

6. Noel makes sense, or made sense for HOU, along Ariza and a Moute in the past season since Harden is the worst defender in the league at any position. CP3 is severely handicapped defensively since he's 5'11". They needed those 3 guys to shore up an absolutely pathetic defensive backcourt.

He's a good fit, but he has zero offers aside from what HOU is offering. As I said before, there's a strong likelihood he pouts his way into a QO this season and a series of 1 year offers from then on, just like that knucklehead Nerlens Noel.

What are you talking about? If you put Nurkic in the Rockets, he'd be useless to them. What one player is worth is based on which type of team you're trying to create and a player like Capela has immense value because:

1) Doesn't need the ball.
2) Plays defense and hustles for possessions.
3) Can finish around the rim.
4) Very mobile center.

Capela just "dunks" but that's sometimes all you really need with the way the game is played today. Nurkic can't play defense and needs the ball to be truly effective. Capela can go two quarters straight without touching the ball and have a vital impact on the game.

IndyRealist
07-10-2018, 08:10 AM

1. Cappella doesn't "need" the ball because he has no offensive skillset aside from dunking the ball. There are lots of 6'9"+ players with long arms who can dunk btw. And many of them aren't paid very well. Take Nerlens Noel for example. He just signed for a year at the league minimum. Same with Javale McGee.

2. Again, there are lots of 6'9"+ players who are willing to hustle and play D, esp. if they have no offensive skills to speak of. That's the only way they can survive in the league.

4. Very mobile, meaning he doesn't trip over his own two feet while dunking? OK, I'll grant you that.

5. Nurkic is not as effective a defender as CC, true. He doesn't have the reach nor the vertical. Then again, he expends a lot more energy on offense, because he has an actual skillset on that end of the floor. He is far more versatile and useful for more teams in the nba as a result.

6. Noel makes sense, or made sense for HOU, along Ariza and a Moute in the past season since Harden is the worst defender in the league at any position. CP3 is severely handicapped defensively since he's 5'11". They needed those 3 guys to shore up an absolutely pathetic defensive backcourt.

He's a good fit, but he has zero offers aside from what HOU is offering. As I said before, there's a strong likelihood he pouts his way into a QO this season and a series of 1 year offers from then on, just like that knucklehead Nerlens Noel.

Considering how effective being the roll man is, if everyone can do it then why don't they? There's a large amount of set up and positioning that happens before the dunk, you're just not noticing because you're watching the ballhandler like 99% of people do.

And if you think any 6'9" guy can fill his roll, there's a hundred G-leaguers waiting for their call up and a thousand in Europe. Funny how he's in the NBA and they're not, almost like he's exceptionally talented or something. Saying Capela is just a shorter McGee is like saying Jordan is just Zach Levine but taller.

FlashBolt
07-10-2018, 04:17 PM

1) So you're just repeating what I said or are you going to offer an opposing view on this? Clearly, Capella is not as skilled as Nurkic offensively. Wanna know something else? Jahlil Okafor is more skilled than Capella by a long mile offensively as well. And did you seriously just compare Capella to McGee and Noel? Capella is a much better defender, finisher, rebounder, and hustler than either of those two. I would not pay Capella a max but I would say $20 million is a fair deal for someone like him on a contender. If you're a bad team with nothing going for ya, I would not even look to get Capella but teams like Lakers, Rockets, Warriors, etc., could all benefit from a guy like Capella. Plenty of 6'9 with long arms who can dunk? Lol. If that's all you think Capella does, then please tell me where all those 6'9 players with long arms having elite impact are because I am sure 30 NBA teams are just as interested to know.

2) Right.. Because Ben Wallace, Rodman, Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah.. none of those guys have survived in the league. It's only guys like Andrea Bargnani who can sustain their career.

3) Again, that's not the only thing Capella does. I take it you have had very limited knowledge of his game and simply think he catches lobs and dunks. That's not all he does, period. There is no further discussion to be had if that's your only assumption of Capella.

4) Very mobile as in he can run the floor better than most centers and can defend vs smaller players on the court. Very important in a league today where everyone is switching trying to get a center to guard them so they can drive to the basket after a few dribbles. Capella is able to defend against pick-and-rolls as well - which is something most centers don't even bother trying to do.

5) And maybe Capella expands more energy on the defensive end so he can't play offense? Or maybe teams don't need a guy like Capella to play any offense because they have better offensive players? In Houston's case, they have a system where a guy like Capella can succeed without having to touch the ball at all. It works for everyone on the team because they get more three point shots up and have a guy who can rebound, defend, and no plays have to be created for him. Nurkic is a good player but he's not as valuable as a guy like Capella is in a league today.

6) Noel is always injured. That's the reason his career has never advanced. He doesn't have enough experience to develop and since he's always sidelined, teams can't trust him enough to be playing big minutes and/or risking their team's success for a guy who may not be playing. Capella is a proven commodity in today's league. As I've said before, he's not worth much on a team that isn't a contender but for reasons I've explained already, Capella on a contending team in which you have enough scoring but need a big who can do everything other than score is infinitely more valuable than a player who has more offensive potential but can't defend. That offensive player might be more valuable on a losing team trying to develop players but not on a contending team. Both of these traits actually explain why Embiid is so valuable in today's league. Can defend and destroy you offensively. Doesn't really need the ball to make an impact but when he has it, he's as skilled as any other center not named Hakeem.

steamroller
07-11-2018, 01:56 AM
1) So you're just repeating what I said or are you going to offer an opposing view on this? Clearly, Capella is not as skilled as Nurkic offensively. Wanna know something else? Jahlil Okafor is more skilled than Capella by a long mile offensively as well. And did you seriously just compare Capella to McGee and Noel? Capella is a much better defender, finisher, rebounder, and hustler than either of those two. I would not pay Capella a max but I would say $20 million is a fair deal for someone like him on a contender. If you're a bad team with nothing going for ya, I would not even look to get Capella but teams like Lakers, Rockets, Warriors, etc., could all benefit from a guy like Capella. Plenty of 6'9 with long arms who can dunk? Lol. If that's all you think Capella does, then please tell me where all those 6'9 players with long arms having elite impact are because I am sure 30 NBA teams are just as interested to know.

YOU would because you're a rando posting on the internet. Daryl Morey is an actual GM in the NBA, and one of the better ones at that. The new ownership is rightfully concerned about fielding a competitive team without paying taxes or multipliers.

HOU isn't bidding against anyone! CC has ZERO offers aside from what HOU wants to offer him! Not to mention he's just turned down 5/90. He's in the same class as Adams or Gobert, sure, but those guys signed in 2016 when the cap spiked. With HOU having committed to supermax deals for two players, not to mention Ryan Anderson's salary still on the books, they are justifiably cautious.

CC can gamble, take the QO and try again next season. However, he risks getting injured, and perhaps he's still fuming because HOU wouldn't pay him $25 million per season, and he gives a half assed effort and hurts his own value in the process.

I don't think $20 mil per is unfair, but then again, Steph was fine with $11 mil per even when the cap spiked, Dray is fine with $16 mil (again before the spike), Klay's fine with his $16 mil, KD was fine with $26 mil per (well below what he could've made on a two year deal). Do you see the pattern here? If a team truly wants to win a championship, it requires some sacrifice both on and off the court for it to happen. And obviously, Harden, CP3 and CC aren't willing to do that. They all want to drain as much money as possible from ownership, not sacrifice anything, instead of building a championship culture.

Which is why I think HOU doesn't win a championship with their narrow window. Guys won't sacrifice, and CC is just the latest example.

2) Right.. Because Ben Wallace, Rodman, Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah.. none of those guys have survived in the league. It's only guys like Andrea Bargnani who can sustain their career.

LOL, you think Ben Wallace is relevant to this discussion?!? How about bringing up George Mikan? The game has changed completely in the past 5-6 years since Big Ben left the league. Those 5-6 years might as well have been 50-60 considering how much the game has changed. A period of time which roughly corresponds to Steph's entry into the league. Yeah, Steph's had that big of an impact.

This game revolves around 1/2/3's who can both spread the floor with their shooting as well as act as primary playmakers: Steph, Harden, KD and Lebron are the prototypes. The warriors are winning championships with a 6'7" PF, and junk centers like Pachulia and Java McGee. The warriors could bring back Ben Wallace or the worm or Kim Jung un at the 5 and still win a championship.

Steven Adams is a solid role player, but nothing more. Gobert is excellent defensively, but certainly can't carry a team to a championship in the way that Klay/Steph can, or to the finals the way that Lebron can. Harden and CP3 nearly took HOU to the finals and would have if anyone on the team could've made a 3 in game 7.

Dwight Howard and DMC both settled for MLE's and both are former all nba centers, and mvp candidates.

Aside from the 2016 spike increase, there aren't any defensive specialist centers in the game who can command anywhere near the 5 year, $25 million per year deal Noel wants. Even DJ had to settle for a one year deal.

CC has overestimated the market to a laughable degree. There is only one offer on the table, and that's from the team which provides him with the perfect fit: with Harden and CP3 throwing him lobs all day long, and otherwise asking nothing from him except to focus on defense since Harden and CP3 suck so bad at it.

3) Again, that's not the only thing Capella does. I take it you have had very limited knowledge of his game and simply think he catches lobs and dunks. That's not all he does, period. There is no further discussion to be had if that's your only assumption of Capella.

You're splitting hairs here. Let your OCD go. Yes, CC scores with tip-ins and layups and rudimentary hook shot here and there. But he's basically a PNR lob and dunk guy.

4) Very mobile as in he can run the floor better than most centers and can defend vs smaller players on the court. Very important in a league today where everyone is switching trying to get a center to guard them so they can drive to the basket after a few dribbles. Capella is able to defend against pick-and-rolls as well - which is something most centers don't even bother trying to do.

You're beating this to death. Yes, most people would agree that CC is an excellent defender.

5) And maybe Capella expands more energy on the defensive end so he can't play offense? Or maybe teams don't need a guy like Capella to play any offense because they have better offensive players? In Houston's case, they have a system where a guy like Capella can succeed without having to touch the ball at all. It works for everyone on the team because they get more three point shots up and have a guy who can rebound, defend, and no plays have to be created for him. Nurkic is a good player but he's not as valuable as a guy like Capella is in a league today.

You're just repeating yourself ad nauseum here.

6) Noel is always injured. That's the reason his career has never advanced. He doesn't have enough experience to develop and since he's always sidelined, teams can't trust him enough to be playing big minutes and/or risking their team's success for a guy who may not be playing. Capella is a proven commodity in today's league. As I've said before, he's not worth much on a team that isn't a contender but for reasons I've explained already, Capella on a contending team in which you have enough scoring but need a big who can do everything other than score is infinitely more valuable than a player who has more offensive potential but can't defend. That offensive player might be more valuable on a losing team trying to develop players but not on a contending team. Both of these traits actually explain why Embiid is so valuable in today's league. Can defend and destroy you offensively. Doesn't really need the ball to make an impact but when he has it, he's as skilled as any other center not named Hakeem.

I brought up noel as a cautionary tale. Clown turned down 4/70 and is now playing for 1 year minimum deals. Stupid on his part. DMo thought he was worth more. How did that turn out for him? The point is, CC has no deals on the table from any team aside from 1: the rockets. He doesn't have any leverage to negotiate aside from pulling a kawhi and sitting out the year with a phantom injury, or otherwise becoming a major distraction by complaining and being unprofessional.

FlashBolt
07-11-2018, 03:54 AM
Lol. I'm just going to continue ignoring your posts. Your thought process is way off. Not worth establishing any long-term discussion. Enjoy your stay because without me, no one cares enough to entertain ya here.

ewing
07-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Flashbolt is like Curry (a true superstar that makes everyone around him better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamroller
07-12-2018, 02:18 AM
Flashbolt is like Curry (a true superstar that makes everyone around him better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the handful of his 17,000 posts I've read, if he were a GM, he'd bankrupt his team within a single offseason. "Hey Lebrun, you're worth $500 million dollars! Here, take it all!" "Hey Capela, you're worth......hmmmm, $50 million dollars! Here, just take it!"

Scoots
07-17-2018, 01:13 PM
Rockets got worse this offseason, if they don't offer what Capela wants and he signs the QO they will have to pay him a lot more next off-season because the Rockets will have few avenues to get significantly better.

steamroller
07-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Rockets got worse this offseason, if they don't offer what Capela wants and he signs the QO they will have to pay him a lot more next off-season because the Rockets will have few avenues to get significantly better.

They don't have to pay him anything. There will be a lot more free agents available next offseason as well.

Remember, Cappella received ZERO free agent offers this offseason. As in nothing.

Look at what the top centers were offered this offseason:

Dwight Ho: mid level

DMC: mid level

Brook Lopez: league minimum

Javale McGee: league minimum

Cappella nothing by 29 teams, $90 million by the Rockets.

If this clown gets injured, he'll be just another bum begging for a minimum salary like IT

The market for 6'9" centers who shoot airballs from 6 feet out is limited.

Scoots
07-19-2018, 12:51 AM
They don't have to pay him anything. There will be a lot more free agents available next offseason as well.

Remember, Cappella received ZERO free agent offers this offseason. As in nothing.

Look at what the top centers were offered this offseason:

Dwight Ho: mid level

DMC: mid level

Brook Lopez: league minimum

Javale McGee: league minimum

Cappella nothing by 29 teams, $90 million by the Rockets.

If this clown gets injured, he'll be just another bum begging for a minimum salary like IT

The market for 6'9" centers who shoot airballs from 6 feet out is limited.

He was a restricted free agent. Restricted free agents often get no offers.

And all I said was that the Rockets would have to pony up a lot more than the QO to keep him beyond this year if he plays on the QO.