Twolves88
07-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Still a better contract then wiggins.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-06-2018, 08:13 PM
He was pissed that the Bulls let him go through RFA bc it saved them money lol

FlashBolt
What do you expect? Their owner thinks Buddy Hield could be the next Steph Curry

Vinylman
don't the kings have like a shitload of SG's

off the top of my head

hield
bogdon
temple
Shump

More-Than-Most
07-06-2018, 08:20 PM
basically just hurts the celtics and that first round pick... they have no other ways to improve right now so why not?

goingfor28
07-06-2018, 08:23 PM
Wow. Talk about a major overpay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HandsOnTheWheel
07-06-2018, 08:24 PM
Wonder if Bulls let him walk with only 2 days to match

i'myourdaddy
07-06-2018, 08:40 PM
don't the kings have like a shitload of SG's

off the top of my head

hield
bogdon
temple
Shump

Shump is a throw in for the Hill trade, we'll never play him. Temple is not part of the young core group. Bogdon can play SF and did spend sometime last year at SF.

CityofTreez
07-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Surprised if Bulls match......

Not the biggest fan of acquisition but Iím used to it.

More-Than-Most
07-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Surprised if Bulls match......

Not the biggest fan of acquisition but Iím used to it.

They will and should match. I dont understand why people think this isnt a good move for the kings or bulls esp when you factor in everything that goes into it. If the bulls or kings were anywhere near contention with other avenues to improve and get over the gap than this would have been a bad move... Neither team is and wont be for several years so what else will they do with their cap? This is the nets taking on DLO all over again... You cant entice free agents to come because its a star driven league and both teams have young talent that they need to mature/mold/grow so why not take a shot on a 23 year old with big potential? Not a levine fan but context of the situation makes each contract different in terms of value even if its an overpay... Lakers/sixers doing this would be horrid because we have cap saved next year and are 2 spots free agents want to come while having stars.... Bulls/Kings/Nets etc doing this is a great deal because they are using their only option to improve outside of the draft. This isnt a Mosgov signing... This is a 23 year old guy with a load of potential.

CityofTreez
07-06-2018, 09:31 PM
It makes sense for Bulls to match offer because they traded Butler away for Lavine, but for $20mil/year I could see the Bulls baulk. Clear cap and TANK for next year since they showed their willingness to do it last year.

ChI_ShIzzLe
07-06-2018, 09:44 PM
Iíd pass and have 2 max slots next summer and a high lottery pick.

JLynn943
07-06-2018, 10:02 PM
Woj is saying Bulls matched. Cool. Now let's go after Parker or Hood.

CityofTreez
07-06-2018, 10:03 PM
Lol Bulls matched

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 10:04 PM
He was pissed that the Bulls let him go through RFA bc it saved them money lol

Lol John Paxson at his finest, where's that bulls fan?

numba1CHANGsta
07-06-2018, 10:19 PM
Welp that didnt take long lmao Kings will have to settle for Deng and a pick ;)

corky831
07-06-2018, 10:25 PM
basically just hurts the celtics and that first round pick... they have no other ways to improve right now so why not?

Guess the pick is still valuable, and Lavine still wouldn't have made them a playoff team. Remember, we don't want that SAC pick to be number 1 😉

More-Than-Most
07-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Guess the pick is still valuable, and Lavine still wouldn't have made them a playoff team. Remember, we don't want that SAC pick to be number 1 😉

It wont be 1... you will get the pick but levine will help keep them out of the top 5... 5-10 is still very good but this would have helped their direction. Kings are a top 5 pick probably without him.

corky831
07-06-2018, 11:34 PM
It wont be 1... you will get the pick but levine will help keep them out of the top 5... 5-10 is still very good but this would have helped their direction. Kings are a top 5 pick probably without him.

I actually like the talent they have with Bagley and Fox, but the West is just so tough that unfortunately they will most likely be sitting in the basement for the next few yrs

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-07-2018, 07:18 AM
Bulls matched the offer sheet.

IndyRealist
07-07-2018, 09:24 AM
It makes sense for Bulls to match offer because they traded Butler away for Lavine, but for $20mil/year I could see the Bulls baulk. Clear cap and TANK for next year since they showed their willingness to do it last year.

That's a sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter what you traded to get him, it only matters how much he will cost going forward compared to what he will provide.

mightybosstone
07-07-2018, 09:32 AM
While this is obviously a massive overpay, I actually can kinda see what Sacramento is doing here. Looking at their salaries, they have very little in the way of long-term contracts locked in past this season. Right now, Bagley's rookie deal is the higher figure on their books for the 2019-20 season.

When you have that much cap room, so many young question marks on the roster and no real ability to attract star players, you can afford to take chances on guys and you kinda have to. Between Fox and Hield, the likelihood that one of them will develop into a star is pretty low. But you throw in one more guard to compete with and grow, and the chances that one of the three will become an All-Star is a lot better. Plus, Lavine has actually shown he can put up points when healthy and given a chance like he did in Minnesota.

I honestly don't think we're going to look back on this deal four years from now and think it was a great move or that Lavine was worth that money. But there's still that small chance he'll become a 20+ PPG guy, and that's a chance worth taking for the Kings.

beasted86
07-07-2018, 10:05 AM
In today's NBA Lavine is fine at $20M if healthy for a rebuilding team.

He will sell a couple jerseys. Get you a couple SC top 10 plays and give you 18-20 a night.

If healthy not an overpay.

JLynn943
07-07-2018, 11:05 AM
While this is obviously a massive overpay, I actually can kinda see what Sacramento is doing here. Looking at their salaries, they have very little in the way of long-term contracts locked in past this season. Right now, Bagley's rookie deal is the higher figure on their books for the 2019-20 season.

When you have that much cap room, so many young question marks on the roster and no real ability to attract star players, you can afford to take chances on guys and you kinda have to. Between Fox and Hield, the likelihood that one of them will develop into a star is pretty low. But you throw in one more guard to compete with and grow, and the chances that one of the three will become an All-Star is a lot better. Plus, Lavine has actually shown he can put up points when healthy and given a chance like he did in Minnesota.

I honestly don't think we're going to look back on this deal four years from now and think it was a great move or that Lavine was worth that money. But there's still that small chance he'll become a 20+ PPG guy, and that's a chance worth taking for the Kings.

Bulls matched anyway. It wouldn't have been a terrible move for the Kings, but I'd rather us go after a small forward with that space since it's a position of need. Either throw a contract at Hood or look at teams that need to free up cap/get out of a bad contract. If we can get a first rounder next year out of it, that'd be great.

NYKnickFanatic
07-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Mods, can we get an update on the title?

c.c.
07-07-2018, 11:48 AM
JLynn943 what are the Kings key needs though

JLynn943
07-07-2018, 12:30 PM
JLynn943 what are the Kings key needs though

I mean, getting more talent is always good, but we've got a lot of young guys who should be given a chance. By far our least talented position is SF. We drafted Justin Jackson last year, and though he has had flashes of being a starter, he's mostly been disappointing. Other than that, we're playing guys kind of out of position there. Temple gets burn at SF, but I don't think that's his natural spot. Bogdan is more a SG.

Fox has to be treated like our PG of the future. We've got enough depth at the position to be okay with Frank Mason, Bogdan, and Temple all able to play point.

SG is crowded. Buddy Hield and Bogdan are the two guys who should be playing most. Both have potential. Then Temple and Shumpert are going to be in line for minutes too.

PF is crowded, too. Obviously we just took Bagley, but Harry Giles (who had first overall pick talent before several injuries) has been looking great according to reports. Then there's Skal Labissiere and Zach Randolph who can both give quality minutes. ZBo is useful as a veteran presence there.

Center is OK at best. Willie Cauley-Stein could be better than he is. He's super athletic and should be able to be a great defensive center, but he thinks he needs to keep working on his offensive game. Result is that he's occasionally very good but usually just okay. Then Kosta Koufos is a quality backup.

So, we could upgrade easiest at SF and Center. If we got a 3 and D SF, that would be a big help. We also don't have a first round pick next year, so we should be active on the trade market. I'd put pieces like Skal, Shumpert (who's an $11M expiring contract), and our cap space out there to test the trade waters. As it stands, we'll be playing a lot of small ball and be running. We're young and fast. If we don't make moves now, hopefully we'll be active at the deadline. I figure that, since we're obviously not a top free agent destination, we have to take advantage of other teams needing cap space or cap relief. There's an avenue to being competitive I hope.

GiantsSwaGG
07-07-2018, 01:41 PM
In today's NBA Lavine is fine at $20M if healthy for a rebuilding team.

He will sell a couple jerseys. Get you a couple SC top 10 plays and give you 18-20 a night.

If healthy not an overpay.

He hasnít proven heís worth the contract when healthy

CityofTreez
07-07-2018, 03:44 PM
That's a sunk cost fallacy. It doesn't matter what you traded to get him, it only matters how much he will cost going forward compared to what he will provide.

Its a new phenomenon in the NBA to accept this position.
Gone are the days where you trade away a star and receive equal to lesser value to feel better about the void. This Ďsunk cost fallacyí can bury teams in future plans. It really depends on said teams because NO can get away with letting Cousins walk cause they have Davis, but Chicago has nothing but the tanking ideaology which hurts fans and makes for a long grueling season and hoping they nail the lottery.

FlashBolt
07-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Kings were willing to take Zach by offering him a lot of money. Chicago, being the franchise that enjoys losing, matches it. Then people wonder why the EC sucks. I bet many of us could be better GM's than the people employed today. It seems the days of actually structuring your team to win is no longer evident and GM's just rush to get anyone they see just for the sake of making a deal. I wonder what goes on in their head: "Hey, let's offer Zach Lavine $20 million per year for four years. He's totally worth it!" Like, do they have an explanation for these signings?

Shammyguy3
07-07-2018, 11:06 PM
Kings were willing to take Zach by offering him a lot of money. Chicago, being the franchise that enjoys losing, matches it. Then people wonder why the EC sucks. I bet many of us could be better GM's than the people employed today. It seems the days of actually structuring your team to win is no longer evident and GM's just rush to get anyone they see just for the sake of making a deal. I wonder what goes on in their head: "Hey, let's offer Zach Lavine $20 million per year for four years. He's totally worth it!" Like, do they have an explanation for these signings?

If this was 2 years ago before the cap jump, what would you think would be a good price for Lavine?

TakeYourL
07-08-2018, 01:07 AM
What does he actually do well? I've never watched him play and felt like there was anything he did well with any consistently.

FlashBolt
07-09-2018, 07:44 AM
If this was 2 years ago before the cap jump, what would you think would be a good price for Lavine?

$10 million? I mean, he's a good player but a torn ACL and coming off the worst year of his career doesn't exactly scream $20 million per year even in today's pay rate. I think a good amount would be $13 million. He's mainly a volume scorer and has terrible shot selection. He's got spurts where he looks like he can dominate games and take over but the majority of his games are inefficient shots. With that torn ACL injury, he's lost some of his explosiveness and settling for shots that aren't there.

IndyRealist
07-09-2018, 08:59 AM
What does he actually do well? I've never watched him play and felt like there was anything he did well with any consistently.

Jump really high.

Muttman73
07-09-2018, 10:32 AM
$19.5M a year X 4, that's the overpay NBA for you.

Hawkeye15
07-09-2018, 10:47 AM

he can shoot from the catch and off the dribble. He is able to score in a number of ways. He could easily be one of the better scorers in the league, if you can live with his non-existent defense.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Next up for the Kings is Rodney Hood.

JLynn943
07-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Next up for the Kings is Rodney Hood.

He fits us better. He's someone I've been hoping we'd make an offer to.

KG2TB
07-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Bulls will still have around 45 mil in cap space next season and thereís an injury clause in LaVines contract. Itís really a pretty easy decision to match it. Heís young with potential and fits the Bulls young developing players. If it killed flexibility I could understand not liking the deal but it doesnít.

beasted86
07-10-2018, 01:13 PM
He hasnít proven heís worth the contract when healthy

He was at 19 PPG on very good efficiency before the injury.

For a rebuilding team like Sacramento and possibly the Bulls with nobody else worth paying, he is worth that if he can just duplicate that and improve his defense. Surely beats overpaying old washed vets like ZBO, George Hill, and Vince Carter again for Sactown.

Hawkeye15
07-10-2018, 02:04 PM
He was at 19 PPG on very good efficiency before the injury.

For a rebuilding team like Sacramento and possibly the Bulls with nobody else worth paying, he is worth that if he can just duplicate that and improve his defense. Surely beats overpaying old washed vets like ZBO, George Hill, and Vince Carter again for Sactown.

I mean, look at some of the names that make around that money haha. A 24 year old with scoring ability and upside making that much is a lot better than Allen Crabbe, or Ryan Anderson making it..

Scoots
07-17-2018, 01:40 PM

He's done everything you want a 2 guard to do, but you are absolutely right, he's never done any of it with consistency.