PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker to Hornets for $10 million/2 years

FlashBolt
07-06-2018, 03:36 PM
Wow. Seems like Spurs could have offered him that. This is negative for the Spurs. Players leaving. You have a top five player in your history wanting to leave for $5 million. What's the deal?

Muttman73
07-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Looks like a rebuild in San Antonio

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 03:40 PM
Wow. Seems like Spurs could have offered him that. This is negative for the Spurs. Players leaving. You have a top five player in your history wanting to leave for $5 million. What's the deal?

You are reading waaaay too much into it man.

The Spurs have younger guys in their backcourt who they are trying to develop, which obviously means less time for TP. The Spurs wanted him back and probably could have given him that, but TP wanted a more significant role, which according to Woj, he'll get backing up Kemba.

It's nowhere near a negative for them, it's just a matter of opportunity for TP and him wanting to play more. He'll have former Spurs assistant James Borrego and obviously his close friendship with Batum.

LionsFan..LOL
07-06-2018, 03:43 PM
TP in a different uni is going to look really weird.

Hawkeye15
07-06-2018, 03:44 PM
TP in a different uni is going to look really weird.

yep.

FlashBolt
07-06-2018, 03:51 PM
You are reading waaaay too much into it man.

The Spurs have younger guys in their backcourt who they are trying to develop, which obviously means less time for TP. The Spurs wanted him back and probably could have given him that, but TP wanted a more significant role, which according to Woj, he'll get backing up Kemba.

It's nowhere near a negative for them, it's just a matter of opportunity for TP and him wanting to play more. He'll have former Spurs assistant James Borrego and obviously his close friendship with Batum.

I always thought TP was done. I don't know what more he can do. Sucks to see him leave Spurs because he wants to still contribute more on a team. Should've just retired with Manu.

Gritz
07-06-2018, 03:55 PM
So he just runs Kawhi off and then bounces lol

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 03:57 PM
I always thought TP was done. I don't know what more he can do. Sucks to see him leave Spurs because he wants to still contribute more on a team. Should've just retired with Manu.

TP was coming off the ruptured quad. I mean he looked pretty good prior to that injury in last years playoffs. We'll see what he has left. I think he's got a little something left as a backup. He'll be good for Charlotte.

Maybe Manu retires or gives it 1 more year so Pop doesn't lose both of them in 1 summer.

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 04:02 PM
And the rebuilding begins.

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 04:04 PM
So he just runs Kawhi off and then bounces lol

It's funny people actually think this

Joemoes
07-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Very savy move by The Spurs. Any chance of keeping Kawhi involved letting Parker walk. I would say their chances which still aren't great just went up to keep Kawhi

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Very savy move by The Spurs. Any chance of keeping Kawhi involved letting Parker walk. I would say their chances which still aren't great just went up to keep Kawhi

Pop put the battery in Parkers back.

YAALREADYKNO
07-06-2018, 04:09 PM
Damn. Never thought Iíd see tony Parker in another NBA uniform

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 04:10 PM

Has nothing to do with that

COOLbeans
It's funny people actually think this

Thatís whatís being reported my dude

FlashBolt
TP was coming off the ruptured quad. I mean he looked pretty good prior to that injury in last years playoffs. We'll see what he has left. I think he's got a little something left as a backup. He'll be good for Charlotte.

Maybe Manu retires or gives it 1 more year so Pop doesn't lose both of them in 1 summer.

TP was crafty and got to the paint often. Just tough to do at his age and the shooting prowess of some guards. If he could shoot the ball, he'd still have a larger role. but a 36 year old PG who made a career off attacking the paint is not going to work as well as it used to for TP

COOLbeans
07-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Parker is a top 50 guy imo. Loved witnessing him play basketball. All time great Spur and player

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 04:18 PM
TP was crafty and got to the paint often. Just tough to do at his age and the shooting prowess of some guards. If he could shoot the ball, he'd still have a larger role. but a 36 year old PG who made a career off attacking the paint is not going to work as well as it used to for TP

Nope. He did become a pretty good corner 3 point shooter, and the mid range game was there. He can still facilitate an offense and get open looks tho, he's very smart with the ball.

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Thatís whatís being reported my dude

Nah, most of the reporting shows Kawhi wanted out well before Parker made those comments.

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 04:28 PM
Don't be surprised if he plays out his 2 years in Charlotte, and plays 1 last season as a mentor role in SA, then retires. He wanted to play 20 seasons, and in Charlotte he'll play seasons 18 & 19.

FlashBolt
07-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Don't be surprised if he plays out his 2 years in Charlotte, and plays 1 last season as a mentor role in SA, then retires. He wanted to play 20 seasons, and in Charlotte he'll play seasons 18 & 19.

Kawhi = Jordan brand = Tony Parker joining Charlotte to be next to Jordan = Tony Parker wants to be the new face of the Jordan brand confirmed

Vinny642
07-06-2018, 04:35 PM
Gonna look super weird

Lakers + Giants
07-06-2018, 05:01 PM
I would be happy but TP is pretty meh now. No big loss. I do think it shows the direction spurs are going though.

mightybosstone
07-06-2018, 05:06 PM
This move just seems weird to me. Charlotte isn't remotely close to competing. And he's so close to retirement. I mean, I won't knock anyone for playing their sport as long as they're healthy and can make a ton of money doing it. But why jump teams after all this team to play for a cellar dweller as a backup?

Honestly, as someone who has always had a tremendous amount of respect for those Spurs teams, it's weird to think he, Manu and Duncan won't all retire as Spurs. Seeing him in another jersey will just feel icky...

Joemoes
07-06-2018, 05:06 PM
How do you know ? Seems like it has a lot to do with it. A guy who has been with the organization for 17 years leaves for money???? To be a back up on a losing team

Joemoes
07-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Anyone who thinks this doesn't give the spurs a slightly better chance to re sign Kawhi is a moron

FlashBolt
07-06-2018, 05:11 PM
How do you know ? Seems like it has a lot to do with it. A guy who has been with the organization for 17 years leaves for money???? To be a back up on a losing team

TP just said he doesn't have a problem with Kawhi and that the media twisted it. I fell for it, too but I still think TP made a bad decision saying what he said. KDspurman would know more about this.. he's got the latest info every time. I guess TP's pride just made him think he can do more with his role and Spurs wanted a different direction. you do know it's entirely possible for two parties to walk away amicably, right?

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 05:37 PM

It has to do with him playing more. He lost the starting job to Murray last year, Derrick White (who you guys will see is a baller) is going to get more time, they still have Mills and Forbes who have all played the PG position.

I can assure you the Spurs could have and would have given him something close to if not matching the $ he's getting in Charlotte. But they couldn't promise him the same role/minutes. Pop wanted him to be more of a mentor.

Dade County
07-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Smart move, get Parker out if you are not planning of trading Kawhi at this point.

Joemoes
07-06-2018, 07:00 PM
It has to do with him playing more. He lost the starting job to Murray last year, Derrick White (who you guys will see is a baller) is going to get more time, they still have Mills and Forbes who have all played the PG position.

I can assure you the Spurs could have and would have given him something close to if not matching the $ he's getting in Charlotte. But they couldn't promise him the same role/minutes. Pop wanted him to be more of a mentor.

Why is Tony Parker worried about minutes at this stage of the game with a team that isn't even competing for an 8th seed? Why not take the money with the Spurs then?

Joemoes
07-06-2018, 07:01 PM
TP just said he doesn't have a problem with Kawhi and that the media twisted it. I fell for it, too but I still think TP made a bad decision saying what he said. KDspurman would know more about this.. he's got the latest info every time. I guess TP's pride just made him think he can do more with his role and Spurs wanted a different direction. you do know it's entirely possible for two parties to walk away amicably, right?

Of course Tony Parker doesn't have a problem with Kawhi. It's Kawhi that has a problem with Tony Parker

FlashBolt
07-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Why is Tony Parker worried about minutes at this stage of the game with a team that isn't even competing for an 8th seed? Why not take the money with the Spurs then?

some people want to actually play the game. parker likely knows he is retiring and wants a bigger role before he calls it quits

Vinylman
07-06-2018, 07:09 PM
kemba gonna bring a big package at the deadline

LOb0
07-06-2018, 07:16 PM
Other than Cousins to GS this is the most shocking offseason move.

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 07:20 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015317998557712386?s=21

Wow thatís very telling of the Spurs as a organization. Parker had to basically hide everything from Pop an hour before it broke.

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 07:27 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015317998557712386?s=21

Wow thatís very telling of the Spurs as a organization. Parker had to basically hide everything from Pop an hour before it broke.

My goodness, that is not what that means. He was communicating with Pop and RC about his decision. They knew he was looking around and 5-6 teams were interested.

Several.

Chronz
07-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Where's Jordansbulls when you need him. This gives Jordan a finals mvp , if they don't win, MJ confirmed idiot

Chronz
07-06-2018, 07:43 PM
My goodness, that is not what that means. He was communicating with Pop and RC about his decision. They knew he was looking around and 5-6 teams were interested.

Several.

I would love to hear those conversations. We love you tp, ur Jersey is hanging in the rafters some day. We just got these youngsters we've been developing and you're hella old

TrueFan420
07-06-2018, 08:06 PM

Could end up being a happy accident tho

Chronz
07-06-2018, 09:00 PM
Crazy how he has a bigger role on the team with the best pg

KobeOwnSU
07-06-2018, 09:07 PM
Kyle Andersom just signed a huge offer sheet with Memphis too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dade County
07-06-2018, 09:25 PM
kemba gonna bring a big package at the deadline

He can net a nice package now, but if they want until the deadline they will not get the best assets.

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 09:46 PM
What's going on in San Antonio now Kyle Anderson wants out too. Lol everything is great according to kdspur. Geesh.

FlashBolt
07-06-2018, 09:53 PM
What's going on in San Antonio now Kyle Anderson wants out too. Lol everything is great according to kdspur. Geesh.
He's a RFA getting a higher offer. Why would he not accept it?

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 09:59 PM
I would love to hear those conversations. We love you tp, ur Jersey is hanging in the rafters some day. We just got these youngsters we've been developing and you're hella old

Pop: Kawhi is leaving after I don't trade him for half the Laker banners and Jeanie and im not gonna resign you for nothing less than the minimum, you listening to me?

Tony: Yes Pop Pop

Pop: Hey Tony!

Tony: Yes pop pop?

Pop: Your signing with Michael and his sorry @$$ team for a good chunk of change go make me proud.

Tony: OK I Will pop pop

Pop: Bonjour M'efr.😎

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 10:00 PM
He's a RFA getting a higher offer. Why would he not accept it?

Wrong question. Why aren't the Spurs matching is the real question.

numba1CHANGsta
07-06-2018, 10:13 PM
So does this mean Dirk will sign with the Hawks? Lol

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 10:44 PM

It just happened haha. They have 48 hours. You're aware right?

And if they don't match (I think that price is too high personally) then they'll figure it out and replace him, like they tend to do.

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 10:55 PM

And if they don't match (I think that price is too high personally) then they'll figure it out and replace him, like they tend to do.

Oh wow Pop didn't know about this but he knew about Parker?? If he did he should've matched right? The spurs are going to have nobody and no one is going to want to sign with them. What free agents are the spurs signing?

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 10:59 PM

It happened over 2 hours ago why wait 2 days you guys might lose more free agents and still need to address kawhi lol your team is a mess.

kdspurman
07-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Oh wow Pop didn't know about this but he knew about Parker?? If he did he should've matched right? The spurs are going to have nobody and no one is going to want to sign with them. What free agents are the spurs signing?

It happened over 2 hours ago why wait 2 days you guys might lose more free agents and still need to address kawhi lol your team is a mess.

Eh.. I've tried dude lol. Its clear you aren't understanding and/or have a very different level of expectations

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 11:29 PM
Eh.. I've tried dude lol. Its clear you aren't understanding and/or have a very different level of expectations

Bulls matched Sacramento Lavine offer whats the hold up? its clear your team is a mess and can't keep track of their free agents because of kawhi good luck with pop and his last couple years that man is losing it

Leftcoast_yg
07-06-2018, 11:32 PM

What don't I understand genius? That I don't agree with your analogy of what's being reported about your team and wanna down play it lol denial is an ugly thing to have.

All-In
07-07-2018, 12:57 AM

I'm honestly a big fan of Derrick White ever since last years 5-on-5 combine scrimmage, the guy has a great story moving his way up from DII with terrific work ethic

I actually like Jaron Blossomgame, Cory Jefferson and Chimezie Metu too....Blossomgame has always been if he can make corner threes then he'll have a role in the NBA type player but thats a huge "if" with him....and Metu and Jefferson offer some frontcourt athleticism that the Spurs desperately need....Metu has actually surprised me a little with how he can handle at times

The Spurs are a hard-capped team with about $23 million left to go until they hit the "apron" and the still need to sign Lonnie Walker and they have about $2 million left of their MLE to potentially sign Metu and others, and theres still Bertans, Forbes

IDK, I just don't think its that big of a deal that Parker left and Anderson might go to Memphis...It's better to have cap flexibility if a rebuild happens and I kind of like how they're rounding out the back end of the roster plus developing Walker/White/Murray

FlashBolt
07-07-2018, 01:30 AM

do you think the spurs are a daycare? They have a lot in their plate right now. idk why you act like Spurs have to take care of everyone. Players leave teams all the time. Just because the Spurs have been perfect thus far does not mean they have to sign everyone and make everyone happy. If Spurs don't want Kyle, he won't get an offer.. Nothing else needs to be said

_Supreme_
07-07-2018, 02:08 AM
Why?? Should have been with the Spurs his whole career.

kdspurman
07-07-2018, 10:37 AM
I'm honestly a big fan of Derrick White ever since last years 5-on-5 combine scrimmage, the guy has a great story moving his way up from DII with terrific work ethic

I actually like Jaron Blossomgame, Cory Jefferson and Chimezie Metu too....Blossomgame has always been if he can make corner threes then he'll have a role in the NBA type player but thats a huge "if" with him....and Metu and Jefferson offer some frontcourt athleticism that the Spurs desperately need....Metu has actually surprised me a little with how he can handle at times

The Spurs are a hard-capped team with about $23 million left to go until they hit the "apron" and the still need to sign Lonnie Walker and they have about $2 million left of their MLE to potentially sign Metu and others, and theres still Bertans, Forbes

IDK, I just don't think its that big of a deal that Parker left and Anderson might go to Memphis...It's better to have cap flexibility if a rebuild happens and I kind of like how they're rounding out the back end of the roster plus developing Walker/White/Murray

White can ball , he's dominating the summer league now, and think he'll have a big impact. He with Murray and Walker are going to have a bright future.

It's not a big deal Parker left, cause there's a lot of depth at the PG spot. The Spurs wanted him back, but he went for more playing time. Charlotte makes the most sense for TP. Bigger role as primary backup, Jordan was always his idol, his close friend Nic Batum, and Coach Borrego who just left SA for this head coaching gig. I said before, but don't be surprised if he plays 1 final year in SA in a mentor role.

Regarding Anderson, he brings good defense to the team. Smart player, still a little offensively challenged at times but a net + player overall. If they don't match, it's because they have something in mind already with how they replace him. If you recall when Boban left SA, he was a huge (no pun intended) fan favorite and when he got an offer, Pop encouraged him to take it because it was a lot if $$. He doesn't want to lose guys, but he always wants players to do what's best for them.

It's not a big deal at all, but people like to make things bigger than they are