PDA

View Full Version : Summarize what's left for "your" team

Scoots
07-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Warriors:

3 roster spots open, only planning to add 2 more players.

Patrick McCaw RFA has a qualifying offer he is expected to sign.

They plan to add another wing for a veteran minimum contract. I want Treveon Graham.

The tax bill will likely be around $50M this year.

PG Curry, Livingston, Cook
SG Thompson, Evans, and maybe McCaw, Graham
SF KD, Iguodala
PF Green, Bell
C Cousins, Looney, Jones

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Bucks:

PG Bledsoe,Delly,Jennings
SG Brogdon,Snell,Brown,DD
SF Middleton
PF Giannis,Ersan,Wilson
C Maker,Henson,Zeller

RFA Parker

Jennings becomes guaranteed contract August 1. Bucks still have the BE to spend yet or TPE. Also whatever scrap change is left from the MLE used on Ersan. Parker still RFA. Market drying up fast. He could take the QO or tiny contract or sign and trade. Bucks still have holes at PG,SG,C yet for starters that need to be upgraded.

Jet still UFA. He wants to play one more year. Mayo wants to comeback to the league. He said he owes Milwaukee. Since last time he got that big contract and came in over weight and out of shape and got suspended by the league. Also Bucks and a few teams showing interests in Thomas Robinson. Also Larry Sanders on twitter mentioned he'd like to comeback to Milwaukee.

Not sure if Bucks bring back Shabazz or not. Bucks got 14 players under contract Jennings and Zeller team options. Parker RFA. One spot remaining for active roster. Two spots for two way G League contracts. Draft night Bucks were shopping Bledsoe, Delly, Wilson. Pretty much anyone can be had for trade not named Giannis.

I personally would use Brogdon,Maker,Wilson to dump contracts of Henson,Delly,Snell for expiring deals. Then Bledsoe is expiring after this year. Middleton has player option and is expected to opt out after this season. So if we dump Delly,Snell,Henson and Bledsoe,Middleton opt out. Bucks have two max cap slots to chase two stars to pair up with Giannis. I'd aim for that. Then do one year deals each year till we land a star.

warfelg
07-05-2018, 10:20 AM
We have 17 players under contract not including Jonah Boldin or Shake Milton. :shrug:

Oakmont_4
07-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Celtics:

1 Roster spot open.

Marcus Smart is a Restricted Free Agent and the Celtics #1 priority to bring back at the moment. The big question is, what is the cost? At the beginning of the off season the biggest fear was a desperate team offering him $16+M. As Free Agency began and the money dried up, it seems that won't happen. Now it's a waiting game. Will Smart take his QO and play 1 more year until UFA? Or does he settle for a long term contract at a more fair price tag $10-12M. Remains to be seen but he'll likely be back. The biggest threat to the C's might be PHI who has some cap space and could offer something hard to match. However that would take them out of FA next offseason - but hurt the C's their biggest threat this year.

Ainge says a blockbuster move is "unlikely". But the C's are on the cusp of being true title contenders (set back by GS signing of Cousins). However Ainge will keep monitoring the availability of stars. Leonard, Butler, etc. If they come available cheap Ainge will pounce. However, our top 5 (Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum, Brown) are off limits in any move. So the main pieces of a trade would have to be centered around Rozier and Morris + draft picks.

Roster

PG: Kyrie Irving, Terry Rozier, Brad Wanamaker

Wings: Gordon Hayward, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Morris, Semi Ojeleye, Guerschon Yabusele, Abdel Nader

Bigs: Al Horford, Aron Baynes, Daniel Theis, Robert Williams

This team is the right mix of youth and experience. They'll keep building on what they have and won't make any panic moves. They have cap flexibility moving forward and still have a treasure trove of draft picks in the coming years. Ainge might have the most envious situation in the NBA for opposing GM's. Definitely top 2.

We have both the non tax payer MLE at our disposal and the bi annual exception. Both are unlikely to be used at this point - unless a blockbuster trade is made.

The Celtics will do their best to keep what they have intact and stay under the luxury tax. Morris may be moved for cheap as his contract will get us under the tax and we really don't have a suitable role for him this year with Hayward coming back. Not enough minutes to go around so moving Morris to reduce payroll under the tax and take care of a minutes crunch seems to make some sense.

Celtics are perfectly ok with paying the tax if needed. But if they can get under without blowing everything up. They will.

Scoots
07-05-2018, 10:32 AM
We have 17 players under contract not including Jonah Boldin or Shake Milton. :shrug:

17 is legal assuming 2 of them are two-way deals :)

A couple years ago looking at future draft picks I was wondering how the Sixers and Celtics were going to manage doubling the size of their rosters over the next 3 years ... I'm still wondering :)

Scoots
07-05-2018, 10:35 AM
I personally would use Brogdon,Maker,Wilson to dump contracts of Henson,Delly,Snell for expiring deals. Then Bledsoe is expiring after this year. Middleton has player option and is expected to opt out after this season. So if we dump Delly,Snell,Henson and Bledsoe,Middleton opt out. Bucks have two max cap slots to chase two stars to pair up with Giannis. I'd aim for that. Then do one year deals each year till we land a star.

That's an interesting and difficult path to follow ... particularly on a team where the leadership hasn't been as stable as a fan would like. But I agree in general with that path ... Giannis is the key to the team so using valued assets to move overpaid assets to do as quick a reboot as possible is the way to do it.

Oakmont_4
07-05-2018, 10:39 AM

A couple years ago looking at future draft picks I was wondering how the Sixers and Celtics were going to manage doubling the size of their rosters over the next 3 years ... I'm still wondering :)

Ainge has done a nice job staggering contracts and keeping everything year to year. We have potentially 4 first round picks next year but a boat load of Free Agents too. Irving, Rozier, Wanamaker, Morris, Horford (PO), Theis, and potentially Smart if he takes his QO will all be Free Agents. Morris and Wanamaker figure to be easy cast offs. They can be replaced by our 2 guaranteed picks (SAC/PHI, BOS). If LAC (lottery protected) and MEM (top 8 protected) convey it'll get a little muckier but I don't think it will be too hard to sort out.

Scoots
07-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Celtics:

1 Roster spot open.

Marcus Smart is a Restricted Free Agent and the Celtics #1 priority to bring back at the moment. The big question is, what is the cost? At the beginning of the off season the biggest fear was a desperate team offering him $16+M. As Free Agency began and the money dried up, it seems that won't happen. Now it's a waiting game. Will Smart take his QO and play 1 more year until UFA? Or does he settle for a long term contract at a more fair price tag $10-12M. Remains to be seen but he'll likely be back. The biggest threat to the C's might be PHI who has some cap space and could offer something hard to match. However that would take them out of FA next offseason - but hurt the C's their biggest threat this year.

The Celtics will do their best to keep what they have intact and stay under the luxury tax. Morris may be moved for cheap as his contract will get us under the tax and we really don't have a suitable role for him this year with Hayward coming back. Not enough minutes to go around so moving Morris to reduce payroll under the tax and take care of a minutes crunch seems to make some sense.

Celtics are perfectly ok with paying the tax if needed. But if they can get under without blowing everything up. They will.

I think most projections said there just wasn't the money out there before free agency to threaten the Celtics keeping Smart ... for this year. I would think the concern will be for next offseason.

Paying the tax isn't the issue, but staying under it delays the inevitable explosion another year into the future so if it makes little to no difference to the quality of the team on the floor getting under the tax totally makes sense.

lakerfan85
07-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Warriors:

3 roster spots open, only planning to add 2 more players.

Patrick McCaw RFA has a qualifying offer he is expected to sign.

They plan to add another wing for a veteran minimum contract. I want Treveon Graham.

The tax bill will likely be around $50M this year.

PG Curry, Livingston, Cook
SG Thompson, Evans, and maybe McCaw, Graham
SF KD, Iguodala
PF Green, Bell
C Cousins, Looney, Jones

You forgot to mention that the Warriors will sign IT to a vet minimum deal and find a way to add Capela to hold down the fort until Cousins is ready..

Oakmont_4
07-05-2018, 10:47 AM
I think most projections said there just wasn't the money out there before free agency to threaten the Celtics keeping Smart ... for this year. I would think the concern will be for next offseason.

Paying the tax isn't the issue, but staying under it delays the inevitable explosion another year into the future so if it makes little to no difference to the quality of the team on the floor getting under the tax totally makes sense.

Exactly. The repeater penalties are what hurt, so saving that another year helps. Especially if it's for sacrificing an average to good guy like Morris. It's worth it. But if you can get a Kawhi or Butler, then you just pay the tax for them because they're that good and the opportunity to get guys like that doesn't happen every day/year.

Scoots
07-05-2018, 10:50 AM
You forgot to mention that the Warriors will sign IT to a vet minimum deal and find a way to add Capela to hold down the fort until Cousins is ready..

I don't think IT fits what they want in that they much prefer 2 way players who move the ball, but IT would certainly change their bench unit scoring issues.

Oakmont_4
07-05-2018, 10:52 AM
ORL should sign IT. 1 year prove it deal. They have the ability to pay him. They need a PG. They need a guy who can create his own shot. The fit is too perfect.

Scoots
07-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Exactly. The repeater penalties are what hurt, so saving that another year helps. Especially if it's for sacrificing an average to good guy like Morris. It's worth it. But if you can get a Kawhi or Butler, then you just pay the tax for them because they're that good and the opportunity to get guys like that doesn't happen every day/year.

Unfortunately for many teams paying the tax at all is the issue for ownership, and it would kind of suck to be a fan of those teams.

Oakmont_4
07-05-2018, 11:15 AM
Unfortunately for many teams paying the tax at all is the issue for ownership, and it would kind of suck to be a fan of those teams.

Also true. Then again, you only want to pay the tax if you're really going to contend. To pay the tax and not be a top 6-7 (ideally 3-4) team in the league seems foolish to me. Take DEN for example. If they were to pay the tax on that roster, it'd be completely foolish. But if you're say MIL and they refused to put another star next to Giannis for fear of the tax, that would be unfortunate.

Firefistus
07-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Jazz re-signed Favors and Exum, picked up Sefalosha's option and are currently looking for an MLE signing. We were trying to get Nemanja Bjelica, but the 76ers snagged him for 1 year with their MLE instead.

We're only looking for a backup PF at this point. But I don't think we're going to find one. So the team is literally exactly the same as last year.

The thing we look forward to is the second year of 2 of our starters last year in Royce O' Neal and Donovan Mitchell.

Scoots
07-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Also true. Then again, you only want to pay the tax if you're really going to contend. To pay the tax and not be a top 6-7 (ideally 3-4) team in the league seems foolish to me. Take DEN for example. If they were to pay the tax on that roster, it'd be completely foolish. But if you're say MIL and they refused to put another star next to Giannis for fear of the tax, that would be unfortunate.

It would be fine to pay the tax for a non-contender you just have to be smart about it. For instance, let's say you have a player you think is a future superstar that you drafted and he is a free agent. You can trade for a bunch of bad 1 year contracts to gain leverage for next year, then sign your superstar to a max deal and pay the tax that year, then the next year build a team around them with picks and trades for pieces that fit. Available cap money is a tool to be used, and not using it just because you are not a contender can be a mistake too.

warfelg
07-05-2018, 01:08 PM

No two way deals yet.

Ours are mostly 2nd round picks now. We also had a lot of end of roster fodder that we've been replacing guys with. And lastly it's part of the philosophy that Hinkie put in place. An ability to miss (MCW, Noel, Okafor), but because you have given yourself so many chances you are bound to hit (Simmons, Embiid, Saric).

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Waiting for Melo to GTFO.

Chronz
07-05-2018, 05:28 PM
To acquire kawhi

mrblisterdundee
07-05-2018, 05:49 PM
Portland Trailblazers
Publicly admit that the team is going nowhere because of the inept front office.
Fire Neil Olshey.
Recruit Sam Hinkie.
Trade Damian Lillard to the Bucks for Bledsoe, Henson, Maker, DiVincenzo and a future first-rounder.
Trade McCollum to the 76ers for Redick, Bayless, Fultz and Smith.
Tank.
Get picks.
Tank.
Get picks.
Get Evan Turner, Meyers Leonard and Moe Harkless off the books.
Hopefully make the right picks and build the core of a better-than-mediocre team.

Scoots
07-05-2018, 06:24 PM
Waiting for Melo to GTFO.

No depth chart? Who is the backup PF? The current tax bill is HUGE I know.

Scoots
07-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Portland Trailblazers
Publicly admit that the team is going nowhere because of the inept front office.
Fire Neil Olshey.
Recruit Sam Hinkie.
Trade Damian Lillard to the Bucks for Bledsoe, Henson, Maker, DiVincenzo and a future first-rounder.
Trade McCollum to the 76ers for Redick, Bayless, Fultz and Smith.
Tank.
Get picks.
Tank.
Get picks.
Get Evan Turner, Meyers Leonard and Moe Harkless off the books.
Hopefully make the right picks and build the core of a better-than-mediocre team.

New anti-tanking rules make steps 6-9 less valuable.

mrblisterdundee
07-05-2018, 09:45 PM
New anti-tanking rules make steps 6-9 less valuable.

Less valuable than getting dominated in the first round while Lillard and McCollum's value declines with their shortening contracts? The worst three teams still get the best chance. My trades net four young projects and more than $30 million in expiring contracts. The subsequent tanking is a sweetener while Portland develops the young guys and clears out the bad contracts.

WaDe03
07-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Signing Wade to the max, trading for Kawhi Lillard AD Jimmy and Love while retaining JRich Whiteside Bam Dragic

Lillard/Dragic
Jimmy/Wade
Kawhi/JRich
Love/JJ
AD/Whiteside

Jayb587
07-05-2018, 10:46 PM
Signing Wade to the max, trading for Kawhi Lillard AD Jimmy and Love while retaining JRich Whiteside Bam Dragic

Lillard/Dragic
Jimmy/Wade
Kawhi/JRich
Love/JJ
AD/Whiteside

Looks like the future Lakers LU

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 11:51 PM

Lillard/Dragic
Jimmy/Wade
Kawhi/JRich
Love/JJ
AD/Whiteside

I don't know about signing any of those guys but you guys can definitely retain the rest :D