PDA

View Full Version : Devin Booker close to signing 5 Year $158 Million max extension with the Suns

HandsOnTheWheel
07-03-2018, 09:00 PM
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2018/07/03/phoenix-suns-devin-booker-max-contract-extension/757234002/

Crazy how much leverage players have nowadays. It was reported that Booker was upset with the Suns for cutting his friend Tyler Ulis, then ends up getting a max extension less than a week later. Go figure.

Chronz
07-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Agreed, but would you have it any other way? I don't root for owners

HandsOnTheWheel
07-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Agreed, but would you have it any other way? I don't root for owners

Well if it means crippling franchises with bloated contracts and affecting the competitive balance, then it becomes a bigger problem than just the owners and players

CityofTreez
07-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Hilarious contract for a guy who can score, and not much else.

warfelg
07-03-2018, 09:16 PM
NBA where you get a max because we can't afford to lose you.

cmellofan15
07-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Remember the time he scored 70 and nobody cared?

More-Than-Most
07-03-2018, 09:22 PM
Id rather trade him now if I am the suns... Like my god he is so ****ing overrated its not even funny.

Chronz
07-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Id rather trade him now if I am the suns... Like my god he is so ****ing overrated its not even funny.

You've always hated him. Why?

warfelg
07-03-2018, 09:35 PM
You've always hated him. Why?

I'm going to nail this:

Doesn't play defense, just shoots, doesn't make his team better. Get value while he's overrated before people see what he is.

kobebabe
07-03-2018, 09:36 PM
For a guy who canít do much else besides score? He fooled them with that 70 point game

Dade County
07-03-2018, 09:39 PM
I would like one of these guys coming off their rookie contract, just to sign the qualifying offer.

So he/tgey could be a free agent after, and sign anywhere they want.

Yeah, I know someone will bring up injury; but just like how Lbj was doing & KD is doing know, these 1&1 cintracts.

Injuries are part of the game.

zn23
07-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Overhyped and overrated.

JLynn943
07-03-2018, 11:14 PM
He reminds me of Kevin Martin with higher usage. I wouldn't give him $30M/year.

Lakers + Giants
07-03-2018, 11:16 PM
I'm so glad others don't like him either. Overrated is correct. Props to him though.

thephoenixson28
07-03-2018, 11:25 PM
Laker fans are the one saying he is over hyped. This is laughable booker deserves a max contract

JLynn943
07-03-2018, 11:38 PM
Laker fans are the one saying he is over hyped. This is laughable booker deserves a max contract

Kings fan here. Like I said, he reminds me of Kevin Martin. Kevin Martin was a good player for a while, so I don't mean it in a bad way. I just think that too many max contracts are handed out now that screw over teams salary caps. There aren't many players I'd be comfortable giving $30M/year. Good thing for you guys is that you already have young talent at just about every position, so as long as the Suns are good with them and letting them develop, that cap hit might not be a big deal.

thephoenixson28
07-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Kings fan here. Like I said, he reminds me of Kevin Martin. Kevin Martin was a good player for a while, so I don't mean it in a bad way. I just think that too many max contracts are handed out now that screw over teams salary caps. There aren't many players I'd be comfortable giving $30M/year. Good thing for you guys is that you already have young talent at just about every position, so as long as the Suns are good with them and letting them develop, that cap hit might not be a big deal.
Trust me he is far better than Kevin Martin. He is still young and has a lot of potential

BKLYNpigeon
07-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Devan Booker, kinda Overrated.

I feel like rookies on their first extension should not Qualify for a Max contract if they don't make an All NBA or All Star team.

KG2TB
07-03-2018, 11:50 PM
The kid is 21 years old who scored 70 in an nba game and put up 25/5/5 on the season. Heís not even anywhere near his prime. But yes, surely overrated because he couldnít carry a crappy Suns team to the playoffs.

thephoenixson28
07-03-2018, 11:55 PM
The kid is 21 years old who scored 70 in an nba game and put up 25/5/5 on the season. Heís not even anywhere near his prime. But yes, surely overrated because he couldnít carry a crappy Suns team to the playoffs.
Suns are a young rebuilding team, they are getting better

KG2TB
07-03-2018, 11:59 PM
Suns are a young rebuilding team, they are getting better

They are but that wasnít my point. I actually like the team theyíre putting together but I donít think book is overrated because he couldnít get them to the playoffs.

BKLYNpigeon
07-04-2018, 12:05 AM
Doesn't matter. The suns have to pay him. Get every dollar you can from Robert Starver.

Lakers + Giants
07-04-2018, 12:11 AM

said by a warriors fan, kings fan, nuggets fan, 76ers fan and laker fan. But yea, only a laker fan said it? lmfao

Lakers + Giants
07-04-2018, 12:12 AM

or because his defense is much worse than his offense is good? That's not a good sign, at all.

cmellofan15
07-04-2018, 12:45 AM

Did you watch that 70 point game?? It was one of the more disgraceful things ive seen in a basketball game in recent memory

FlashBolt
07-04-2018, 01:27 AM
Devin Booker is a good scorer but he's below average at everything else. He does not play defense, does not know how to make passes to teammates, does not know how to lead. This is too much money for a player with little upside other than scoring. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine player and very young but there is a huge transition in being able to inflate your numbers on a bad team compared to being an impactful player on a championship team. Booker is not even a top five SG and he averaged 25/5/5. That should tell you all you need to know. He's a turnover machine and does nothing at an elite level.

GiantsSwaGG
07-04-2018, 01:28 AM
What else can he do other than score?

KB24PG16
07-04-2018, 01:56 AM
suns had to max him

More-Than-Most
07-04-2018, 03:04 AM

sixer fan here... He is a 1 trick pony and isnt worth 60 percent of a max. I would trade him because of people like you across the league that sees high usage scorer-valuable.

More-Than-Most
07-04-2018, 03:06 AM
Doesn't matter. The suns have to pay him. Get every dollar you can from Robert Starver.

No.. No they didnt. They could offer him up today for 2 of ingram/kuzma/ball. Id rather have ball over booker going forward and people know how i feel about ball.

steamroller
07-04-2018, 04:33 AM
This reeks of Andy Wiggins/Chief Wiggums Pt.2.

PAOboston
07-04-2018, 04:59 AM
This guy is a glorified 6th man vacuum scorer. He doesn't create, doesn't rebound, doesn't defend. He just shoots.

I've never felt worse for a team/player than watching that 70 point abomination against the Cs the other year. Lost so much respect for him and that franchise as a whole. Just an ultimate loser mentality performance.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

FlashBolt
07-04-2018, 05:23 AM
This guy is a glorified 6th man vacuum scorer. He doesn't create, doesn't rebound, doesn't defend. He just shoots.

I've never felt worse for a team/player than watching that 70 point abomination against the Cs the other year. Lost so much respect for him and that franchise as a whole. Just an ultimate loser mentality performance.

To his defense, Phoenix never planned on winning any games. They were clearly tanking for draft picks and with the lottery rules changing, they are likely making a run to contend. They have the pieces to compete for the playoffs in the next few seasons but I would agree: Booker does not do anything at an elite level. His best asset (shooting the ball) is not worth the max contract because Booker needs the ball to score and he's not a first option type player by any means. His turnover rate is terrible for a guard and considering that teams don't care enough to defend vs the Suns, he's not getting close to the defensive attention that a contender superstar would receive. He's still very young but that contract is ridiculous for a player who can barely get you above 20 wins.

IndyRealist
07-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Moves like this are why Phoenix has been stuck in limbo for a decade.

TakeYourL
07-04-2018, 08:44 AM
"Another, we know your not really a max player, But we can't lose you because it will set us back and make us look bad, and we want to find out if you'll develop more before we let you go."

NBA's entire pay structure/salary cap system is so stupid, any doubt they'll regret this like crazy in 2 years?

KG2TB
07-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Did you watch that 70 point game?? It was one of the more disgraceful things ive seen in a basketball game in recent memory

I have not. Curious to see how a 70 point game was disgraceful. Was it more disgraceful than when David Robinson went for 70 on the last game of the season so he could lead the league in ppg?

warfelg
07-04-2018, 09:11 AM
"Another, we know your not really a max player, But we can't lose you because it will set us back and make us look bad, and we want to find out if you'll develop more before we let you go."

NBA's entire pay structure/salary cap system is so stupid, any doubt they'll regret this like crazy in 2 years?

Yup

This is the drawback of the max. You have to give it to a player like him, because losing him will set you back, but keeping him under that does the same. It's cool that the players like em and all, but his is the downside to max contracts. You hand them out just because. It's why in baseball players get paid their worth, not some arbitrary number based on capping what players could make.

jaydubb
07-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Overrated, and now, overpaid

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

KG2TB
07-04-2018, 11:02 AM

The kid is 21....he's going to continue to get better. There's some rookies his age.

And for a guy who doesn't do anything but shoot, I'm not sure how he averaged 5 APG and 5 RPG. ...for a SG.

In his 70 point game he had 6 assists....

Now can he improve defensively? Absolutely...and he probably will given his age. His scoring prowess and instincts are unbelievable though...and to think he's only 21 and will continue to mature and get better...I really don't understand all the flack he's getting. If anything, it just shows how terrible the NBA CBA/salary structure is. But Phoenix isn't a draw for free agents and they had no choice but to lock him up. I don't blame them because if he improves his defense and cuts down his turnovers, hes going to be an elite player in the league. He probably won't be entering his prime for another 3-4 years.

cmellofan15
07-04-2018, 12:42 PM
I have not. Curious to see how a 70 point game was disgraceful. Was it more disgraceful than when David Robinson went for 70 on the last game of the season so he could lead the league in ppg?

Very similar actually lol. They were late in the 4th quarter and really had no shot of winning but still intentionally fouling, calling timeouts, etc. The last thing i saw like this was when bob sura was bricking shots on purpose to get triple doubles lol

FlashBolt
07-04-2018, 01:35 PM
The kid is 21....he's going to continue to get better. There's some rookies his age.

And for a guy who doesn't do anything but shoot, I'm not sure how he averaged 5 APG and 5 RPG. ...for a SG.

In his 70 point game he had 6 assists....

Now can he improve defensively? Absolutely...and he probably will given his age. His scoring prowess and instincts are unbelievable though...and to think he's only 21 and will continue to mature and get better...I really don't understand all the flack he's getting. If anything, it just shows how terrible the NBA CBA/salary structure is. But Phoenix isn't a draw for free agents and they had no choice but to lock him up. I don't blame them because if he improves his defense and cuts down his turnovers, hes going to be an elite player in the league. He probably won't be entering his prime for another 3-4 years.

And yet, they only won like 20 games.. so it tells me everything I need to know about how much the Suns cared about winning. Suns played with the 3rd highest pace in the NBA last season so it explains how Booker was getting so many possessions to grab assists/rebounds/points but his turnovers are terrible for a guard. His only objective was to pump the stats up. Much different when you actually have to try and win a game.

His 70 point game was disgraceful because Celtics just wanted the game to end and emptied the bench but Booker kept running down the court with the ball every possession to score. The game was over and Suns should have packed the bags but they wanted Booker to add more points. The dude was trying to draw fouls and all that nonsense just to get his points total up. If the game was close, he'd have more respect but the game was over and he was still trying so hard. None of his teammates even took a **** the last four minutes

Chronz
07-04-2018, 01:38 PM
So I'm the only one who even likes Booker, I love the kid

FlashBolt
07-04-2018, 01:39 PM

i do too but for like $20 million. He's not worth no $30 million.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Not the biggest believer in him but you pretty much have to offer him a max if you are trying to rebuild.

The hope here is that Ayton is as good as advertised and Booker can be that second scorer on the team while Jackson continues to play defense and be another scorer.

tp13baby
07-04-2018, 04:26 PM

Everyone knows he scores. His defense is bad. His attitude and the way he carries himself I couldnít give a flying **** about him or his career to be honest.

tp13baby
07-04-2018, 04:33 PM

Early in the year Denver played him and he wouldnít stop running his mouth to Gary Harris, Gary lit his *** up for 36 in a blow out win. Still wouldnít shut up. Dude doesnít give a **** about putting in effort on defense.

Chronz
07-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Everyone knows he scores. His defense is bad. His attitude and the way he carries himself I couldnít give a flying **** about him or his career to be honest.

Its worth it for what we know about him.

Vinylman
07-04-2018, 06:24 PM
NBA where you get a max because we can't afford to lose you.

owners have to start getting smarter though... unless it is a transcendent talent you call the bluff... send them into RFA knowing they will get a max sheet and then put it on them to turn it down and play for the QO...

No one is turning down a max in that situation...

dude is this years wiggins in terms of extensions

Vinylman
07-04-2018, 06:25 PM
laker fans?

Warfelg and MTM are philly fans

More-Than-Most
07-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Fun note... One of the main reasons Melo failed because of how the NBA has changed and he wasnt able to adapt... Booker better adapt or he will be a much much lesser version of melo which there is nothing wrong with but it wont work in todays NBA. You cant have a 1 way chucker who stops the ball movement the second he touches the ball.. You could get away with that in 90s and early 2000s but now its prehistoric.

KG2TB
07-04-2018, 08:23 PM

Nope. I love him too....21 years old and is a savage scorer. Has a killer mentality....his Suns team was weak man....how many 21 year olds would carry that team to the playoffs in the West? I'll give you a hint....NONE.

FlashBolt
07-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Nope. I love him too....21 years old and is a savage scorer. Has a killer mentality....his Suns team was weak man....how many 21 year olds would carry that team to the playoffs in the West? I'll give you a hint....NONE.

You would think 25/6/6 would be good enough to win more than 20 games, though... So the dude put up garbage stats on a garbage team that couldn't care less. If he led his team to more wins and was actually playing like this on a daily basis, he would be an All-Star. Savage scorer.. Lol. He's good at shooting the ball but I would slow down on him being a savage scorer. Wait till Phoenix gets good and teams care enough to play lockdown defense on the boy. Until then, Phoenix games are more like a pickup game than anything. Teams simply don't care to punish them because they are a joke.

KG2TB
07-04-2018, 08:57 PM
You would think 25/6/6 would be good enough to win more than 20 games, though... So the dude put up garbage stats on a garbage team that couldn't care less. If he led his team to more wins and was actually playing like this on a daily basis, he would be an All-Star. Savage scorer.. Lol. He's good at shooting the ball but I would slow down on him being a savage scorer. Wait till Phoenix gets good and teams care enough to play lockdown defense on the boy. Until then, Phoenix games are more like a pickup game than anything. Teams simply don't care to punish them because they are a joke.

Agree to disagree flashbolt....how many 21 year olds average 25/5/5 and have put up 70 in an NBA game? Sure...you could nit pick and try to diminish those facts but at the end of the day, you cannot deny the talent. Yes...he is a savage scorer...he can create for himself....he's a great shooter....he can finish over the defense.....who did he have on his team that makes you convinced they should have won more than 20 games in the West? I mean, maybe....maybe they should have...but he's 21 lol....I wouldn't fault him that he couldn't carry that Suns team to more wins in the stacked Western Conference....if anything, he gets a ton of defensive attention because no one else is a threat on his team.....is he a perfect player at the moment? No, of course not.....could he improve defensively and in other areas such as protecting the ball? Yeah.....but guys are talking about him like he's a finished product and he's one of the youngest 25 PPG scorers in the league....you could scoff at it if you'd like, and that's fine...but if you can't recognize his ability to score the basketball then that's your opinion....he's a flat out scorer who will only get better with time.

There's a lot of garbage teams in the league...but I'm struggling to think of players who display his skill set and do the things he's doing at his age.....you make it seem like it's so easy to do because he's on a garbage team...but why aren't more players doing it?

Vinylman
07-04-2018, 11:05 PM
Agree to disagree flashbolt....how many 21 year olds average 25/5/5 and have put up 70 in an NBA game? Sure...you could nit pick and try to diminish those facts but at the end of the day, you cannot deny the talent. Yes...he is a savage scorer...he can create for himself....he's a great shooter....he can finish over the defense.....who did he have on his team that makes you convinced they should have won more than 20 games in the West? I mean, maybe....maybe they should have...but he's 21 lol....I wouldn't fault him that he couldn't carry that Suns team to more wins in the stacked Western Conference....if anything, he gets a ton of defensive attention because no one else is a threat on his team.....is he a perfect player at the moment? No, of course not.....could he improve defensively and in other areas such as protecting the ball? Yeah.....but guys are talking about him like he's a finished product and he's one of the youngest 25 PPG scorers in the league....you could scoff at it if you'd like, and that's fine...but if you can't recognize his ability to score the basketball then that's your opinion....he's a flat out scorer who will only get better with time.

There's a lot of garbage teams in the league...but I'm struggling to think of players who display his skill set and do the things he's doing at his age.....you make it seem like it's so easy to do because he's on a garbage team...but why aren't more players doing it?

quit saying 25/5/5

he put up 24.9/4.5/4.7

its easy to do that when no one else on your team can score except TJ Warren... they are hollow stats

And there are two ends of the floor Ö he was 184th in defensive WS

wait for it

for just guards

He isn't worth the max

FlashBolt
07-04-2018, 11:09 PM

The fact you think that 70 point game was special makes it impossible to change your mind. It was a chump change game where Boston brought in the bench to finish the game but Booker kept trying to score. You make it seem as if he's dropping 70 against a strong defensive team in a close game. Not many have averaged 25/5/5 but I'd take Tatum, Ben Simmons, Mitchell, and countless other young players over Booker any day. 25/5/5 on a garbage team playing against teams who aren't even trying doesn't exactly excite anyone other than Phoenix. If he can translate them to wins and lead his team, I'll concede that he's worth it. But as it is, no, sorry. He is not worth the max.

JLynn943
07-05-2018, 01:49 AM
i do too but for like $20 million. He's not worth no $30 million.

Exactly. The max is too much for him.

warfelg
07-05-2018, 08:06 AM
owners have to start getting smarter though... unless it is a transcendent talent you call the bluff... send them into RFA knowing they will get a max sheet and then put it on them to turn it down and play for the QO...

No one is turning down a max in that situation...

dude is this years wiggins in terms of extensions

I don't disagree:

But at the same time, the Suns are so starving for attention and he's a guy the local people turn out for (I was looking into it and a huge majority of Suns jerseys sold are Booker); so they feel all this pressure to keep him. Especially when you just pissed him off by letting his buddy go.

There needs to be a RFA max that's not the full max. I think RFA should change to:
~Max for a RFA is 15%-20% of the cap.
~If you play under the QO your max is 20% the next year.
~RFA max years is 4 with your drafting team, 3 with another team.
~"sandwich round" pick for teams that lose a RFA.

Lowers that max amount, gives teams more incentive to let that player hit RFA rather than keep them. Players have incentive to wait some (higher cap percent).

Vinylman
07-05-2018, 09:32 AM
I don't disagree:

But at the same time, the Suns are so starving for attention and he's a guy the local people turn out for (I was looking into it and a huge majority of Suns jerseys sold are Booker); so they feel all this pressure to keep him. Especially when you just pissed him off by letting his buddy go.

There needs to be a RFA max that's not the full max. I think RFA should change to:
~Max for a RFA is 15%-20% of the cap.
~If you play under the QO your max is 20% the next year.
~RFA max years is 4 with your drafting team, 3 with another team.
~"sandwich round" pick for teams that lose a RFA.

Lowers that max amount, gives teams more incentive to let that player hit RFA rather than keep them. Players have incentive to wait some (higher cap percent).

yeah...I prefer something like the arbitration process in baseball which is cut and dry and based on your performance

Rivera
07-05-2018, 09:40 AM
Well if it means crippling franchises with bloated contracts and affecting the competitive balance, then it becomes a bigger problem than just the owners and players

thats the GMs job, the players job is to perform and get paid in this small window they have. Its up to the GM to manage the teams cap and make the team competitive or not. If you want competitive balance, thats a CBA issue that can be fixed by a hard cap

I love the kid too. Lots of fire, fearless, can shoot. Surround him with the right pieces he can flourish even more

with Bridges and Ayton if they fully develop those are 2 nice pieces to protect Bookers weakness on D

warfelg
07-05-2018, 09:55 AM
yeah...I prefer something like the arbitration process in baseball which is cut and dry and based on your performance

NBPA is too strong to let that happen.

Driven
07-05-2018, 10:00 AM
I think offensively, I don't mind his being offered the max. Are his numbers at this point really much different than a Klay Thompson, besides the turnovers at least? Kevin Martin is a good comparison, and I bet Martin would have gotten close to the max if he played today too.

Not that the guy should get a max contract after three years, but I do think he has good upside on offense.

Defensively is where this becomes an issue for me. He played on the Suns, and probably doesn't try on defense, but that's just an excuse really and not a reason to give a guy a max contract.

I don't think that Aaron Gordon is a great player at this point, but how does he get such a reasonable contract but Booker gets $158? Crazy.

KG2TB
07-05-2018, 12:16 PM
quit saying 25/5/5

he put up 24.9/4.5/4.7

its easy to do that when no one else on your team can score except TJ Warren... they are hollow stats

And there are two ends of the floor Ö he was 184th in defensive WS

wait for it

for just guards

He isn't worth the max

Lol...sorry...I stand corrected. 24.9/4.5/4.7.

And yes...he need to improve defensively. Most 21 year olds do. It would help if he didnít have to shoulder so much of the scoring load. But yes, his defense is bad.

KG2TB
07-05-2018, 12:18 PM
The fact you think that 70 point game was special makes it impossible to change your mind. It was a chump change game where Boston brought in the bench to finish the game but Booker kept trying to score. You make it seem as if he's dropping 70 against a strong defensive team in a close game. Not many have averaged 25/5/5 but I'd take Tatum, Ben Simmons, Mitchell, and countless other young players over Booker any day. 25/5/5 on a garbage team playing against teams who aren't even trying doesn't exactly excite anyone other than Phoenix. If he can translate them to wins and lead his team, I'll concede that he's worth it. But as it is, no, sorry. He is not worth the max.

Yeah Iíd take Tatum and Simmons over him too? So what?

How many players would carry that suns team to more wins? They were trash. Youíre acting like only top 10 players get maxed out. The max gets thrown around like candy and for lesser talent than book.

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Yeah Iíd take Tatum and Simmons over him too? So what?

How many players would carry that suns team to more wins? They were trash. Youíre acting like only top 10 players get maxed out. The max gets thrown around like candy and for lesser talent than book.

So why bring up 25/5/5 if you would take players who averaged way less? Just proves Booker is a losing player who puts up nice points. If you pay $30 million for that, you will be disappointed.

SteBO
07-05-2018, 02:00 PM
So why bring up 25/5/5 if you would take players who averaged way less? Just proves Booker is a losing player who puts up nice points. If you pay $30 million for that, you will be disappointed.
Itís Phoenix. What choice do they really have?

KG2TB
07-05-2018, 03:02 PM

How many games do you think that Suns team would win if you replaced Booker with Tatum/Simmons?

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 03:07 PM
How many games do you think that Suns team would win if you replaced Booker with Tatum/Simmons?

How is that relevant..? Tatum and Simmons aren't getting a $32 million per year contract. Simmons and Tatum are better players than Booker on a team that actually wants to win. Booker put up empty numbers on a team where you consistently quote 25/5/5 as if he's doing it on a team worth mentioning. If you're telling me Tatum and Simmons may get a $32 million contract after the season they just had, I would be outraged. Now you're telling me Booker is worth $32 million because he put up 25/5/5 on a team that barely got past 20 wins? That's a joke. He's proven nothing to deserve it.

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Itís Phoenix. What choice do they really have?

Wait till this year and send him into free agency. Booker himself said, "we will make the playoffs this season." Let's see if he's capable of that because they will have enough talent to get there. With Ayton, Jackson, Bridges, TJ Warren, Chandler, and Ariza, let's see if Booker can still put up 25/5/5 and lead his team.. because if they don't win at least 40 wins (which is far below the amount they need to make the playoffs), why would you pay him $32 million? People act like Booker is a superstar. What does he do at an elite level...? Can he create for others? Defend? Rebound? Be a leader? His scoring is nice but he's not exactly efficient at an elite level.

More-Than-Most
07-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Wait till this year and send him into free agency. Booker himself said, "we will make the playoffs this season." Let's see if he's capable of that because they will have enough talent to get there. With Ayton, Jackson, Bridges, TJ Warren, Chandler, and Ariza, let's see if Booker can still put up 25/5/5 and lead his team.. because if they don't win at least 40 wins (which is far below the amount they need to make the playoffs), why would you pay him $32 million? People act like Booker is a superstar. What does he do at an elite level...? Can he create for others? Defend? Rebound? Be a leader? His scoring is nice but he's not exactly efficient at an elite level.

I wouldnt even wait and send him... Id put him us as trade bait right now.. You could get 2 of ingram/lonzo/kuzma for him without a 2nd thought because of how overrated booker is around the NBA.

BKLYNpigeon
07-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Bradley Beal > Devan Booker

BKLYNpigeon
07-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Definitely. This what the Wolves should have done with Wiggans. Now theyíre stuck with a 5 year contract.

valade16
07-05-2018, 03:41 PM

This has to be a joke. The Suns have nowhere near enough talent to make the playoffs, especially in the West. I struggle to find a player outside a Bron that could actually carry that team to the playoffs in the West.

valade16
07-05-2018, 03:41 PM
How is that relevant..? Tatum and Simmons aren't getting a $32 million per year contract. Simmons and Tatum are better players than Booker on a team that actually wants to win. Booker put up empty numbers on a team where you consistently quote 25/5/5 as if he's doing it on a team worth mentioning. If you're telling me Tatum and Simmons may get a $32 million contract after the season they just had, I would be outraged. Now you're telling me Booker is worth $32 million because he put up 25/5/5 on a team that barely got past 20 wins? That's a joke. He's proven nothing to deserve it.

Tatum and Simmons are almost certainly going to get max contracts. The only way they don't is if they get catastrophically injured between their window to sign one and now.

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 03:44 PM
This has to be a joke. The Suns have nowhere near enough talent to make the playoffs, especially in the West. I struggle to find a player outside a Bron that could actually carry that team to the playoffs in the West.

Numerous lottery picks and solid veterans in Chandler/Ariza. Yes, they have enough talent. Utah doesn't even have that much talent and they are likely making it. Excuses stop for Phoenix now, according to Booker himself.

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 03:44 PM
Tatum and Simmons are almost certainly going to get max contracts. The only way they don't is if they get catastrophically injured between their window to sign one and now.

Not currently, no they aren't.

valade16
07-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Numerous lottery picks and solid veterans in Chandler/Ariza. Yes, they have enough talent. Utah doesn't even have that much talent and they are likely making it. Excuses stop for Phoenix now, according to Booker himself.

Sometimes I legitimately can't tell if you're trolling or not. Utah has Gobert and Mitchell, who are both better than anyone on Phoenix, by far. They have numerous other contributing players. If you think Tyson Chandler and Trevor Ariza are going to propel a team to the playoffs, in the West no less, I don't know what to tell you.

Not currently, no they aren't.

So if it were between re-signing them to a max or letting them walk, you think there's any way Boston or Philly lets them walk?

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 03:52 PM
Sometimes I legitimately can't tell if you're trolling or not. Utah has Gobert and Mitchell, who are both better than anyone on Phoenix, by far. They have numerous other contributing players. If you think Tyson Chandler and Trevor Ariza are going to propel a team to the playoffs, in the West no less, I don't know what to tell you.

So if it were between re-signing them to a max or letting them walk, you think there's any way Boston or Philly lets them walk?

Sometimes I can't tell if mods are chosen by intelligence or because no one wants to volunteeer. Utah has Gobert and Mitchell. Who else? Ingles? Rubio? Suns will have three top ten picks, a 16th pick, Booker, Chandler coming off the bench, T.J. Warren. If you're telling me Utah has more talent than that, well, you're just wrong. Utah has the better system. Suns have the talent to be a playoff team. They tanked all this time to get these assets.

As for resigning rookies for $32 million, no, I am not doing that. Tatum had one great year and so did Simmons. Thank God there is a rookie contract because I am afraid many idiots (teams) will pay rookies that amount of money. Your point is irrelevant anyways. If Ben Simmons, after 3-4 seasons, is coming off the season he just had, no, I am not paying him $32 million. Neither will Tatum get that.

valade16
07-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Sometimes I can't tell if mods are chosen by intelligence or because no one wants to volunteeer. Utah has Gobert and Mitchell. Who else? Ingles? Rubio? Suns will have three top ten picks, a 16th pick, Booker, Chandler coming off the bench, T.J. Warren. If you're telling me Utah has more talent than that, well, you're just wrong. Utah has the better system. Suns have the talent to be a playoff team. They tanked all this time to get these assets.

As for resigning rookies for $32 million, no, I am not doing that. Tatum had one great year and so did Simmons. Thank God there is a rookie contract because I am afraid many idiots (teams) will pay rookies that amount of money. Your point is irrelevant anyways. If Ben Simmons, after 3-4 seasons, is coming off the season he just had, no, I am not paying him $32 million. Neither will Tatum get that.

3 Top 10 picks. You mean a rookie and a 2nd year player? LOL.

I'm assuming you're equally bullish on the Kings' chances since they also have 3 Top 10 picks and another teens pick?

I love that you're somehow trying to argue I'm the one with no intelligence when your take is the Suns are good enough to make the playoffs in the West. Good stuff.

Chronz
07-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Rubio is better than any suns pg. Gobert better than any center. They have the better #1 option. They have better shooting and IQ so yeah ingles is pretty good there, rather have him than tj that's for sure. Chandler ain't even favors. Jazz way more talent unless ayrton is Embiid and bookbookebookbooker improves

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 05:02 PM
3 Top 10 picks. You mean a rookie and a 2nd year player? LOL.

I'm assuming you're equally bullish on the Kings' chances since they also have 3 Top 10 picks and another teens pick?

I love that you're somehow trying to argue I'm the one with no intelligence when your take is the Suns are good enough to make the playoffs in the West. Good stuff.

I said they have enough talent to make the playoffs. There is no excuse not to from the perspective of the Suns. They have the players they need. I don't think you're reading correctly. Suns have a lot of young talent and enough veteran players to make the playoffs. If you read correctly, you would see that I set their benchmark at 40 wins so I'm not saying they should make the playoffs but they have enough talent to do so and the excuses should stop considering they tanked years and got all their talent from the draft. Kings don't have Booker, T.J. Warren. Chandler coming off the bench, Brandon Knight, and Ariza.. Good of you to ignore those so you can inflate your analogy.

valade16
07-05-2018, 05:15 PM
I said they have enough talent to make the playoffs. There is no excuse not to from the perspective of the Suns. They have the players they need. I don't think you're reading correctly. Suns have a lot of young talent and enough veteran players to make the playoffs. If you read correctly, you would see that I set their benchmark at 40 wins so I'm not saying they should make the playoffs but they have enough talent to do so and the excuses should stop considering they tanked years and got all their talent from the draft. Kings don't have Booker, T.J. Warren. Chandler coming off the bench, Brandon Knight, and Ariza.. Good of you to ignore those so you can inflate your analogy.

I know what you said, I'm saying that's an absurd statement. Their most "talent" is a rookie, a 2nd year player, and Booker, the guy you're saying isn't very good.

If you think Tyson Chandler, Trevor Ariza or Brandon Knight can form the foundation of a solid playoff core, I'd say maybe 4 years ago.

You also said they are more talented than Utah, which is another absurd statement.

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 05:20 PM
I know what you said, I'm saying that's an absurd statement. Their most "talent" is a rookie, a 2nd year player, and Booker, the guy you're saying isn't very good.

If you think Tyson Chandler, Trevor Ariza or Brandon Knight can form the foundation of a solid playoff core, I'd say maybe 4 years ago.

You also said they are more talented than Utah, which is another absurd statement.

Utah has the better system. They don't have the better talent. None of you were saying Utah was a playoff team before this season started but it's difficult for you guys to believe Suns with all those picks and veterans can't make the playoffs...? Valade, in the event that they even get close, I will refer you back to this thread. I don't think they will make the playoffs but with some of the moves they have been making, they're clearly planning to make it. Why else did they sign Ariza? I would not be surprised if they do because all it takes is one or two of those lottery picks to be good and they have a shot.

Chronz
07-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Utah has the better system. They don't have the better talent. None of you were saying Utah was a playoff team before this season started but it's difficult for you guys to believe Suns with all those picks and veterans can't make the playoffs...? Valade, in the event that they even get close, I will refer you back to this thread. I don't think they will make the playoffs but with some of the moves they have been making, they're clearly planning to make it. Why else did they sign Ariza? I would not be surprised if they do because all it takes is one or two of those lottery picks to be good and they have a shot.

Plenty had them competing at least. Suns aren't even close to that level of talent

Chronz
07-05-2018, 05:25 PM
You can refer anyone to anything but you've said nothing of substance either. Put it this way, you're buying up ayton, so tell us. What's he gon produce this year cuz if you know that then we might understand you better

valade16
07-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Utah has the better system. They don't have the better talent. None of you were saying Utah was a playoff team before this season started but it's difficult for you guys to believe Suns with all those picks and veterans can't make the playoffs...?

Because nobody thought Donovan Mitchell would be quite that good. Utah has the better system, and the better talent. That may change if Ayton has an instant impact like Embiid (or ironically, like Donovan Mitchell).

And this isn't even discussing which teams you think Phoenix has a legit shot of surpassing for a playoff spot this year.

GS
Houston
LAL
OKC
Minnesota
Portland
Denver
Utah
NO
SA

Phoenix has plenty of excuses for why they won't make the playoffs. They're not that good. All their talent is young and unproven. The West is absurdly deep. I can't think of a legitimate reason to think they would make the playoffs other than Ayton is an instant star and several other players play way beyond their previously demonstrated capabilities.

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Because nobody thought Donovan Mitchell would be quite that good. Utah has the better system, and the better talent. That may change if Ayton has an instant impact like Embiid (or ironically, like Donovan Mitchell).

And this isn't even discussing which teams you think Phoenix has a legit shot of surpassing for a playoff spot this year.

GS
Houston
LAL
OKC
Minnesota
Portland
Denver
Utah
NO
SA

Phoenix has plenty of excuses for why they won't make the playoffs. They're not that good. All their talent is young and unproven. The West is absurdly deep. I can't think of a legitimate reason to think they would make the playoffs other than Ayton is an instant star and several other players play way beyond their previously demonstrated capabilities.

The only locks I see are GS, Houston, Minny, LAL, and maybe OKC.
I don't think Portland, Utah, Denver, New Orleans, and Spurs are guaranteed spots.

Suns were tanking. My point with the Suns winning about 20 games while Booker averaged 25-5-5 is that they didn't have enough confidence in him leading the team so they tanked but then want to offer him a max contract for $32 million.

Suns will have a deep roster next season. If they get above 40 wins, they would hit my expectations for them but I would not be surprised if one of their lottery picks end up being a really good player from rookie season (ROTY) and they end up making the playoffs.

KG2TB
07-05-2018, 06:26 PM
Wait a minute....the Suns were tanking because they didn't have confidence in Booker....or they knew their supporting cast was trash and they had no chance in hell to be a playoff team? The Suns didn't need to try to tank....their roster ensured that they wouldn't be competing.

FlashBolt
07-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Wait a minute....the Suns were tanking because they didn't have confidence in Booker....or they knew their supporting cast was trash and they had no chance in hell to be a playoff team? The Suns didn't need to try to tank....their roster ensured that they wouldn't be competing.

Suns were on pace to win 32 games but won only 21. They went from the 9th pick to the 1st pick. They clearly tanked considering they were on pace to win 32 but the second half of the season, they went 4-35 the last 39 games. Booker was out for 27 games the season. It's not impossible for this team to be good next season but it's obvious they tanked last season to get Ayton. My problem with them offering Booker this contract is you can't judge a player when your goal was to tank the season away. I would wait till after this year to pay Booker because I don't think any other team offers him $32 million unless he can lead the Suns to the playoffs and still be that 25-5-5 player. But yeah, no question they tanked.. you don't go from winning 17/43 to then 4/39.

More-Than-Most
07-05-2018, 07:18 PM

Ahem I know 1 poster who was talking up the jazz and saying losing Hayward wouldnt be as big of a hit as people think because their defense is great and he isnt a great defender... I got called a hater because he was a celtic : )

Jayb587
07-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Ayton has to be top notch for the sun's to even fight for a playoff spot. If ayton=embiid I can see the sun's as the 8 seed.

HunterNRoss
07-07-2018, 11:17 PM

More-Than-Most
07-07-2018, 11:38 PM
sad day for the suns... sad sad day.

thephoenixson28
07-08-2018, 01:28 AM
sad day for the suns... sad sad day. You are crazy

Heediot
07-08-2018, 03:11 PM
I think he is a top 50 player so that will get you this kind of deal lol.

CityofTreez
07-08-2018, 03:12 PM
PHX bout to hit 110 degrees.
Suns definitely out

THE MTL
07-10-2018, 10:09 AM
I didn't know players off their rookie contract were eligible for such an extension. Over 30mil per year!

IndyRealist
07-10-2018, 12:39 PM
True rookies generally don't have the kind of impact being suggested here, at least in the one and done era. There's too much of a learning curve. Expecting this Suns team to be like +30 wins is asking a lot.

FlashBolt
07-10-2018, 04:03 PM
This comes into effect after the upcoming season. Phoenix jumped the gun and simply paid him based on not knowing if the upcoming season, Booker can improve or help the team in any way. I said they have enough talent to make the playoffs but Ayton will have to be a 20/10 player and Booker will need to take his game up a notch to where he can actually put up valuable performances instead of simply stat-stuffing on a losing performance. I would have waited until after this season to properly gauge how much Booker is worth but as it is, it's way overpaid. Suns either think Booker is that good or they are that desperate.

kobe4thewinbang
07-11-2018, 12:30 AM
1015796349172740096:puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

LA_Raiders
07-11-2018, 12:51 AM
Wow. Way overpaid IMO

steamroller
07-11-2018, 01:58 AM
Wiggins and Booker are both ridiculous overpays.

KG2TB
07-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Wiggins and Booker are both ridiculous overpays.

Maybe so but you canít compare lazy ***, underachiever Wiggins to booker. At least book wants to be great and has the desire. Wiggins never cared to maximize his talent.

Hawkeye15
07-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Maybe so but you canít compare lazy ***, underachiever Wiggins to booker. At least book wants to be great and has the desire. Wiggins never cared to maximize his talent.

Booker also has a modern game skillset of shooting. Wiggins just chucks 19 foot contested fadeaways all night and doesn't guard anyone.

kobe4thewinbang
07-11-2018, 05:32 PM
Just gonna leave this here...

http://i64.tinypic.com/y2jkm.jpg

thephoenixson28
07-11-2018, 05:55 PM

Lebron 4 year deal - Booker 5 year deal 🤔

IndyRealist
07-11-2018, 06:04 PM
Small market FOMO.

kobe4thewinbang
07-11-2018, 06:13 PM
Lebron 4 year deal - Booker 5 year deal 🤔You're missing the point. 158/5 = 31.6 million. 154/4 = 38.5 million. 38.5-31.6 = 6.9 million. Sure, Booker has an extra year, which only makes my point even more hard to swallow. Dude will make between 27-35 million for five seasons. LeBron will make between 35-41 million for the next four seasons, but still 35-27 is 8 and 41-35 is 6...MILLION. We're talking single digit differential for millions of dollars, and you're trying to say it's not a fair comparison since LeBron has 4 years and Booker has 5. I'm saying 'wow, that's ridiculous for a guy since obviously LeBron > Devin Booker. Hell, even to say "Donovan Mitchell > Devin Booker" might not be insane at this point.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/devin-booker-17841/
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/lebron-james-2257/cash-earnings/

thephoenixson28
07-11-2018, 07:10 PM
You're missing the point. 158/5 = 31.6 million. 154/4 = 38.5 million. 38.5-31.6 = 6.9 million. Sure, Booker has an extra year, which only makes my point even more hard to swallow. Dude will make between 27-35 million for five seasons. LeBron will make between 35-41 million for the next four seasons, but still 35-27 is 8 and 41-35 is 6...MILLION. We're talking single digit differential for millions of dollars, and you're trying to say it's not a fair comparison since LeBron has 4 years and Booker has 5. I'm saying 'wow, that's ridiculous for a guy since obviously LeBron > Devin Booker. Hell, even to say "Donovan Mitchell > Devin Booker" might not be insane at this point.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/devin-booker-17841/
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/lebron-james-2257/cash-earnings/
If lebron stayed with Cleveland you wouldn't be able to compare contracts. Cmon now

FlashBolt
07-11-2018, 09:44 PM

It's ridiculous. It's a good thing LeBron has endorsements and a business he has done well with because the guy is easily worth more than what he's getting paid. A significant amount more.

KG2TB
07-11-2018, 10:16 PM
It's ridiculous. It's a good thing LeBron has endorsements and a business he has done well with because the guy is easily worth more than what he's getting paid. A significant amount more.

Yeah itís a good thing he has endorsements how else is he supposed to live off 158 mil? The dude got 90 mil before ever playing a game in the nba. Heíll be fine. He could have got more with Cleveland if he stayed.

Guys get overpaid in sports. Complete scrubs get life changing money routinely. Itís just the way it is. Booker may be overpaid for what heís done so far but heís not a scrub and still has a ton of potential. No reason to feel sorry for LeBron and his nearly billion dollar enterprise.

FlashBolt
07-11-2018, 10:29 PM
Yeah itís a good thing he has endorsements how else is he supposed to live off 158 mil? The dude got 90 mil before ever playing a game in the nba. Heíll be fine. He could have got more with Cleveland if he stayed.

Guys get overpaid in sports. Complete scrubs get life changing money routinely. Itís just the way it is. Booker may be overpaid for what heís done so far but heís not a scrub and still has a ton of potential. No reason to feel sorry for LeBron and his nearly billion dollar enterprise.

I'm just saying he isn't getting paid what he's worth. I don't feel sorry for him at all. Not my money but thanks for your reply.

TrustJoseph
07-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Anybody seen the booker/ulis fight video? Lol

Scoots
07-17-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm just saying he isn't getting paid what he's worth. I don't feel sorry for him at all. Not my money but thanks for your reply.

LeBron chose to leave huge money on the table. At this point it makes no sense to compare.