PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Sign Michael Carter-Williams

HandsOnTheWheel
07-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Haven't heard anything of the guy since he fizzled out. Do know he's a terrible shooter though. Is this simply just a end-of-bench type signing for the Rockets?

mightybosstone
07-03-2018, 07:07 PM
Haven't heard anything of the guy since he fizzled out. Do know he's a terrible shooter though. Is this simply just a end-of-bench type signing for the Rockets?

Yeah, I don't expect he'll get much, if any playing time. The Rockets had a lot of random no-name guards fill that 4th-5th guard spot last season and get garbage minutes and the occasional longer look when Harden or Paul were out. That included Briante Weber, Markel Brown, Bobby Brown, Aaron Jackson, etc.

Guys like Weber filled more of the "high energy defensive PG" type role, and I think that's where MCW could get minutes in Houston. I could see him playing in 25-30 games and getting maybe 5-10 minutes a night. If Paul or Harden were out, there might be the occasional 15-minute stint, but I've got to think those appearances would be few and far between.

LOb0
07-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Didn't know this guy was that bad now.

Chronz
07-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Didn't know this guy was that bad now.

Yup. Philly swindled

Scoots
07-03-2018, 08:06 PM
If he's engaged he's an okay defender ... that's about it. Reclamation project for him.

kobe4thewinbang
07-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Great signing, IMO. Warriors proved that Harden can be worn down, especially as the primary ball handler. People on HoopsRumors said MCW could be like Livingston is for Golden State. So what if he canít shoot, neither could Houston or a weary Harden when it mattered. I think heíll thrive with DíAntoniís system. Heís not CP3, but he can handle the rock and probably have a triple-double again. Dude was ROY. It would allow Harden to play off the ball and just worry about shooting. Plus MCW is a tall dude so this has me hopeful for him. He might even gain confidence shooting there.

Scoots
07-04-2018, 12:12 AM
Great signing, IMO. Warriors proved that Harden can be worn down, especially as the primary ball handler. People on HoopsRumors said MCW could be like Livingston is for Golden State. So what if he canít shoot, neither could Houston or a weary Harden when it mattered. I think heíll thrive with DíAntoniís system. Heís not CP3, but he can handle the rock and probably have a triple-double again. Dude was ROY. It would allow Harden to play off the ball and just worry about shooting. Plus MCW is a tall dude so this has me hopeful for him. He might even gain confidence shooting there.

Best case is Livingston ... but Livingston has a deadly post and mid-range game that MCW lacks. Still it will be interesting to see what he can do in a better system/team.

FlashBolt
07-04-2018, 02:12 AM
Not sure how Rockets can be a better team than they were last year.

steamroller
07-04-2018, 02:56 AM
What's wrong with these guys? They literally have five months in the offseason every year and yet their shooting never improves. The guy can't hire a shooting coach for $50K for 2-3 weeks in the summer to work exclusively on his shooting? Even if these terrible shooters invested $100K to $200K per offseason, they could go from end of bench guys to regular rotation players, earning tens of millions of dollars extra over the length of their careers.

c.c.
07-04-2018, 12:24 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JMSFwwVoR9M

I donít know if you guys are familiar with Andy Hoops but this was some good content about MCW

TrueFan420
07-04-2018, 12:51 PM
I like this move. It's low risk high reward. Get CP3 in his ear and hope he can help push him to work on his game. Was hoping the warriors would sign him on a vet min and have Livingston take him under his wing. Teach him how to post up and eventually he his replacement. If not let him go.

Vinylman
07-04-2018, 12:54 PM
good signing low risk / high reward

will it pan out? who knows... if he is at the end of the bench it really doesn't matter though

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-04-2018, 04:35 PM
MCW still in the league? Yeesh.

steamroller
07-05-2018, 12:36 AM
35% from the field, 23% from 3's in his last two seasons. Hot garbage.

TrueFan420
07-06-2018, 01:40 PM
35% from the field, 23% from 3's in his last two seasons. Hot garbage.
He's also a long athletic PG who can defend, rebound and pass. He's a decent player with a large flaw (shooting). It will be up to Houston to figure out if they can max his potential/skillset. Bench pieces aren't perfect, nor do they need to be. If we're Houston I'd have learning how to post up. Forget shooting 3s. Get him on the low block to take advantage of his height. I'd mold try to him after Livingston.

Vee-Rex
07-06-2018, 01:58 PM

Livingston hasn't missed a contested midrange shot in his entire career.