PDA

View Full Version : Paul re-signs with Rockets

minato_17
07-01-2018, 12:01 AM
All-Star Chris Paul will sign a four-year, $160M max contract to stay with the Houston Rockets, league sources tell ESPN.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

HandsOnTheWheel

Ty Fast
Wow 40 million a yr

Vee-Rex
07-01-2018, 12:02 AM
:clap:

Let's go ROX!

corky831
07-01-2018, 12:03 AM
Happy about this

HandsOnTheWheel
07-01-2018, 12:04 AM
Risky a f, but probably needed to be done

Vinylman
07-01-2018, 12:04 AM
glad rockets didn't give him that 5th year...

good signing for the rockets...

basch152
07-01-2018, 12:06 AM
football players really get **** on with how much they make compared to the other sports.

Lakers + Giants
07-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Risk that they had to take. Without CP3 they've got no chance. With CP3 they were within reach of the finals. Had to be done.

Dade County
07-01-2018, 12:17 AM
Good signing for Houston.

This team could actually challenge for a championship if KD wasn't with the Warriors.

HandsOnTheWheel
07-01-2018, 12:19 AM
Just heard CP3 and Harden will be making a combined 90 million between the two of them in 2021-22. That's a scary number

BKLYNpigeon
07-01-2018, 12:24 AM
I hope the 4th year is a Team Option...

cmellofan15
07-01-2018, 12:25 AM
so much for all that tension between paul and the fo

Scoots
07-01-2018, 12:40 AM
Bad deal for Rockets, but this confirms the "hand shake" deal that was suspected was real.

Dade County
07-01-2018, 12:41 AM
I hope the 4th year is a Team Option...

I don't think he would sign that, he didn't even get his 5th year he wanted.

LA_Raiders
07-01-2018, 12:45 AM
Wow, that a lot of for an injury prone player.

mightybosstone
07-01-2018, 12:46 AM
Bad deal for Rockets, but this confirms the "hand shake" deal that was suspected was real.

Are you kidding me? They avoided the fifth year and locked him up despite all the Lebron talk. I'm ****ing ecstatic!

FlashBolt
07-01-2018, 12:46 AM
terrible deal... Rockets will regret this. Just you wait. Once he gets injured and when he is no longer a top 5 PG, you guys will look to trade him but can't.

mightybosstone
07-01-2018, 12:47 AM
terrible deal... Rockets will regret this. Just you wait. Once he gets injured and when he is no longer a top 5 PG, you guys will look to trade him but can't.

No they won't. Ask me again in four years if I regret this deal. I can assure you my opinion won't change.

FlashBolt
07-01-2018, 12:49 AM
No they won't. Ask me again in four years if I regret this deal. I can assure you my opinion won't change.

your opinion won't matter. Facts are he's age 33, always injured, he's not getting better and other PG's are. this was a terrible deal but Rockets were forced to do it because they assured they would.

TakeYourL
07-01-2018, 12:49 AM
Hou holding onto something that didn't happen now they trying again, but let's be real, last year was their shot. Losing Ariza and Capella sets them back huge and Paul is only getting older.

mightybosstone
07-01-2018, 12:52 AM
Hou holding onto something that didn't happen now they trying again, but let's be real, last year was their shot. Losing Ariza and Capella sets them back huge and Paul is only getting older.
They haven't lost Capela, chief, and I don't anticipate that they're going to...

TakeYourL
07-01-2018, 12:56 AM
They haven't lost Capela, chief, and I don't anticipate that they're going to...

I hope he does stay tbh, we'll see.

Scoots
07-01-2018, 01:27 AM
Are you kidding me? They avoided the fifth year and locked him up despite all the Lebron talk. I'm ****ing ecstatic!

I'm glad you are happy. I don't think this is a good deal.

Vinylman
07-01-2018, 01:31 AM

I don't know about ecstatic but it probably ended up as well as it could have.

LOb0
07-01-2018, 03:10 AM

You're so emotionally invested in this it clouds your judgment. I've been there as a Celtics fan. I will say I don't know what the alternate move is if you let him walk.

I agree. They had one shot to pull this off. Iggy was out, CP3 was hitting prayer shots in that one game, Warriors just looked like 4 years to the finals was wearing on them.

I just feel like it's over for this team now.

JAZZNC
07-01-2018, 04:13 AM
Good luck with that contract. Ugh. 40mil for a guy who is an absolute lock to miss a bunch of time. The last couple years of that are likely going to be crippling.

MetroMan
07-01-2018, 04:32 AM
This is a bitter sweet signing.

Would anyone know if Houston actually have the cap space to sign cappella?

arnchise
07-01-2018, 04:46 AM
Capela is staying. I donít know why anyone thinks otherwise.

As for the CP3. This is 100% the right thing for Houston to do. At some point a franchise needs to go **** it and go all in and this is that point for Houston. What was Houston supposed to do? Let CP3 walk and go back to being a middle of road team in the west? Nah you go all in. Iím glad they did it. Iíve been calling them to do this for years. And if it doesnít work out, I for one, wonít be upset. Yes Iíll be disappointed but Iíll still happy Houston didnít sit on their hands being content with being a middle of the road team.

hugepatsfan
07-01-2018, 06:09 AM
This is good for HOU. Had to make that long-term tradeoff for the short-term.

I think losing Ariza hurts them though. Not that he's great but they were already a team that got exposed for lacking depth. They can replace Ariza with the MLE but it would have been much better to keep Ariza and use the MLE to add another depth piece to address how short their rotation already was.

HOU obviously needs to keep Capela and then try to move Anderson. I think they might be able to move Anderson for another bad deal but someone who fits better and is playable. If CHA goes into rebuild move, moving Kemba, then maybe you could add picks to get Batum for Anderson. That saves CHA a year of big money and it's not like Batum would have tons of value.

Or maybe in MIA you could trade the two expensive years of Anderson for 2 expensive years of James Johnson and Tyler Johnson. That saves the Heat about $5M/year over the next 2, alleviating some tax pressure. For HOU, it turns their horrible investment into two guys that are at least playable even though overpaid. Helps to address the lack of depth I mentioned above.

kobebabe
07-01-2018, 08:46 AM
They did what they had to do. IF he stays healthy during playoffs everyone will understand this deal better. However, the last couple yrs might be quite painful for the fans when Paul will be older and on decline (already is) and canít be traded due to his inflated pay. Canít still believe he got way more than PG did

warfelg
07-01-2018, 08:49 AM
They did what they had to do. IF he stays healthy during playoffs everyone will understand this deal better. However, the last couple yrs might be quite painful for the fans when Paul will be older and on decline (already is) and canít be traded due to his inflated pay. Canít still believe he got way more than PG did

He was able to get "way more" because of the way the CBA is written and years of service + Max being partially built off what you made the previous year.

mightybosstone
07-01-2018, 08:58 AM
This is a bitter sweet signing.

Would anyone know if Houston actually have the cap space to sign cappella?

It has nothing to do with cap space. They have Clint's Bird rights, so they can go over the cap to sign him regardless.

Chronz
07-01-2018, 09:16 AM

How does it confirm anything? Either way, wasnt a 5th year on the table?

goingfor28
07-01-2018, 09:47 AM
football players really get **** on with how much they make compared to the other sports.They also play 10% of the amount of games that MLB plays, and 20% of the amount NBA plays.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mell413
07-01-2018, 10:01 AM
The last year might suck, but I think as long as they have Harden they should go for it. I get that the 4th year likely sucks, but I'm not sure what the alternative is.

Vinylman
07-01-2018, 10:02 AM
This is good for HOU. Had to make that long-term tradeoff for the short-term.

I think losing Ariza hurts them though. Not that he's great but they were already a team that got exposed for lacking depth. They can replace Ariza with the MLE but it would have been much better to keep Ariza and use the MLE to add another depth piece to address how short their rotation already was.

HOU obviously needs to keep Capela and then try to move Anderson. I think they might be able to move Anderson for another bad deal but someone who fits better and is playable. If CHA goes into rebuild move, moving Kemba, then maybe you could add picks to get Batum for Anderson. That saves CHA a year of big money and it's not like Batum would have tons of value.

Or maybe in MIA you could trade the two expensive years of Anderson for 2 expensive years of James Johnson and Tyler Johnson. That saves the Heat about $5M/year over the next 2, alleviating some tax pressure. For HOU, it turns their horrible investment into two guys that are at least playable even though overpaid. Helps to address the lack of depth I mentioned above.

if they think batum fits they could get that deal done in terms of value and probably get a pick or at least some other value. Charlotte is looking to shed salary and that deal would be huge

KnicksorBust
07-01-2018, 10:07 AM
People surprise me sometimes. Are some of you actually pretending you would have wasted peak Harden and let CP3 walk?? He got the HUGE max 4 year deal and the Rockets didnt have to give the 5th year. This was a great signing for Houston. They could win the title next year or the year after. They can't without him. That alone makes it worth it.

mightybosstone
07-01-2018, 10:16 AM
People surprise me sometimes. Are some of you actually pretending you would have wasted peak Harden and let CP3 walk?? He got the HUGE max 4 year deal and the Rockets didnt have to give the 5th year. This was a great signing for Houston. They could win the title next year or the year after. They can't without him. That alone makes it worth it.

:nod: This guys gets it. Leave it to KOB to be the voice of reason.

warfelg
07-01-2018, 10:17 AM
:nod: This guys gets it. Leave it to KOB to be the voice of reason.

Most people get it TBH.

mightybosstone
07-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Most people get it TBH.

I dunno. Based on replies in this thread, I'm apparently a massive homer for thinking this deal was a win for the Rockets.

:shrug:

D-Leethal
07-01-2018, 10:23 AM
This was a fair deal. CP3 gave them off that 5th year. You can't get cute about that last year and lose CP3. The desparate Lakers probably would have offered him 5.

D-Leethal
07-01-2018, 10:24 AM
You pretty much know the last year on these older guys is gonna hurt. But sometimes it's the price you pay to compete for championships for 2-3 straight years.

mightybosstone
07-01-2018, 10:40 AM
You pretty much know the last year on these older guys is gonna hurt. But sometimes it's the price you pay to compete for championships for 2-3 straight years.
If they get three All-Star caliber years out of CP3 and that fourth year his contract becomes a massive albatross, I'm good with that. The guy has earned the money, and a three year window gives them a solid chance to win a title.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2018, 10:48 AM
If they get three All-Star caliber years out of CP3 and that fourth year his contract becomes a massive albatross, I'm good with that. The guy has earned the money, and a three year window gives them a solid chance to win a title.

Yeah and are we sure CP3 at age 37 won't still be a productive player? Stockton and Nash aged pretty well because you don't lose your jumper or court vision.

warfelg
07-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Yea, CP3 has the type of game that ages well. All about health for him.

TakeYourL
07-01-2018, 10:57 AM
I dunno. Based on replies in this thread, I'm apparently a massive homer for thinking this deal was a win for the Rockets.

:shrug:

Don't really think it was a win or loss, more like no other choice.

Ideally you want a 2 year deal, but because it's the NBA you have to pay for one more year, and because it's to a team that has no other options, and because he's a star, he gets the 4th year.

Just is what it is.

Rockets should be fine, with so many teams tanking there will always be ways for contending teams to add talent.

I still don't think they'll have a better shot to beating GS than they did last year though, unless they say screw the cap, keep capela, and make another significant move or 2. Otherwise that roster maxed out last year, still needs more.

_Supreme_
07-01-2018, 11:05 AM

That 4th year is also a huge expiring contract they could potentially flip for one or two good players from a team on the verge of rebuilding.

beasted86
07-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Why are so many asking stupid questions about Capela and "cap space"? Not only this thread but others also.

I thought basic understanding of resigning 1st round picks was a given?

I get it, signing outside free agents and cap holds and 2nd round picks going into their 4th season... I'm not asking you to get all of that. But understanding that teams can resign their own 1st round picks without cap space should be really really basic.

JAZZNC
07-01-2018, 12:27 PM
Yeah and are we sure CP3 at age 37 won't still be a productive player? Stockton and Nash aged pretty well because you don't lose your jumper or court vision.

You do realize that Paul missed more games last year than Stockton missed in his career right? Not really comparable.

I mean I totally understand why they did it. But to say that they would be wasting Hardens prime by not paying Paul....I mean wasn't last year a wasted year of Hardens prime because of a Chris Paul injury?

Scoots
07-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Yea, CP3 has the type of game that ages well. All about health for him.

Paul has relied on being physical and quick on defense and the way he's been playing the last couple years it's clear he's aware he can't play D the way he used to. You are right on offense, and Harden will make it easier on that end.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2018, 01:36 PM

You do realize that Paul missed more games last year than Stockton missed in his career right? Not really comparable.

I mean I totally understand why they did it. But to say that they would be wasting Hardens prime by not paying Paul....I mean wasn't last year a wasted year of Hardens prime because of a Chris Paul injury?

Paul - 18ppg / 10apg / 4rpg / 2spg
Stockton - 13ppg / 11apg / 2rpg / 2spg

Paul shoots 47/37/87 splits
Stockton shoots 51/38/83 splits

Paul and Stockton play the same position. They are great shooters, great defenders, and elite passers. If your sole argument is Paul is guaranteed to breakdown then agree to disagree but in terms of playing ability they are very comparable and I think Paul will age just as well as Stockton.

KnicksorBust
07-01-2018, 01:37 PM
An unfortunate injury 1 game away from the finals is very different from CHOOSING to waste Hardens peak by making him play with a below average roster.

Jamiecballer
07-01-2018, 01:37 PM
yeah, a lot of people have already properly characterized this as what choice did we have sort of moves. morey has some work to do though or last year will be the highlight.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Scoots
07-01-2018, 01:49 PM
yeah, a lot of people have already properly characterized this as what choice did we have sort of moves. morey has some work to do though or last year will be the highlight.

This.

The lack of reasonable choices available to capped out teams is often overlooked.

JAZZNC
07-01-2018, 02:02 PM
An unfortunate injury 1 game away from the finals is very different from CHOOSING to waste Hardens peak by making him play with a below average roster.

Dude, I totally understand why they had to sign him. There was no other choice but Paul is absolutely garunteed to miss a chunk of the season and it wasn't the first time he's missed time in the playoffs. It is a gamble you have to take but it is a huge gamble no matter how you spin it. If it works out and they get a ring then it doesn't matter if he plays a minute of basketball the other 3yrs of the contract. Obviously that's the goal but his injury risk has already cost them a olden opportunity to accomplish that goal.

THE MTL
07-01-2018, 02:18 PM
And then they complain that the team puts no help around them. CP3 could have easily given back a couple million per year to provide flexibility. They still really need another player to beat golden state

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-01-2018, 04:33 PM
Rockets had to sign him. Other wise most likely Magic Johnson probably would of lured him to the Lakers. Then that probably would of got LeBron thinking Lakers. But since CP3,PG13 all stayed. LeBron may be stuck staying with Cavs. Unless LeBron still signs with Lakers or 76ers. Still Lakers would need more stars. LeBron alone there wont cut it. Cousins coming off Achilles injury. Chance he wont be the same. Kawhi probably traded to the east.

KingstonHawke
07-01-2018, 04:52 PM

No it doesn't. Look at the position they were in. Chris was demanding a max, and if he wasn't given it, he could've gone to LA and helped bring his close friend LeBron to LA with him. You can't risk losing your second best player for nothing, and then also helping the Lakers build a superteam without the need of hurting the Thunder or Spurs.

They probably overpaid in relation to the cap. But just off of what he did last year he's made enough money to be worth everything he'll be paid going forward. And aside from oppurtunity cost, that's how you evaluate a deal. How does that addition or subtraction affect your bottom line.

nastynice
07-01-2018, 06:54 PM
This is gonna hurt in 2-3 years

Good move for next year, maybe the one after too