PDA

View Full Version : Clippers trade G Austin Rivers for Wizards C Marcin Gortat

HunterNRoss
06-26-2018, 07:26 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn
The Los Angeles Clippers are trading guard Austin Rivers to the Washington Wizards for center Marcin Gortat, league sources tell ESPN.

Scoots
06-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Hehe ... Are the Clippers the new Hinkie Sixers?

More-Than-Most
06-26-2018, 07:33 PM
clearly this was to make wall happy.

Iron24th
06-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Bye bye deandre

COOLbeans
06-26-2018, 07:34 PM
Bye bye deandre

Heís gone

Chronz
06-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Hello cp3

HandsOnTheWheel
06-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Bet Doc's pissed.

TrueFan420
06-26-2018, 07:59 PM
Bet Doc's pissed.

Doc needs to be fired

WaDe03
06-26-2018, 08:06 PM
This tells me DJ is gone, probably in a sign and trade if I had to guess. Wizards got their backup PG finally and now need their athletic defensive center wall wants, maybe DJ ends up there.

Vee-Rex
06-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Clippers got robbed. Austin is a bonafide top 10 player in this league.

Lakers + Giants
06-26-2018, 08:37 PM
Hello cp3

:laugh2:

beasted86
06-26-2018, 08:46 PM
I never understood the "inside joke" on Austin Rivers as though he's a bum who is only playing because he's the coach's son. He's not exactly a "JR Smith's brother Chris Smith". He's actually legit.

He will be okay as a bench player for the Wiz.

COOLbeans
06-26-2018, 08:54 PM
I never understood the "inside joke" on Austin Rivers as though he's a bum who is only playing because he's the coach's son. He's not exactly a "JR Smith's brother Chris Smith". He's actually legit.

Itís hate. Light skinned former players son born of privilege. This kinda stuff happens all the time :hi5:

HandsOnTheWheel
06-26-2018, 08:55 PM
Doc needs to be fired

Didn't he just sign an extension?

HandsOnTheWheel
06-26-2018, 08:57 PM
Itís hate. Light skinned former players son born of privilege. This kinda stuff happens all the time :hi5:

Or it's that Doc gave his son a terrible contract that he didn't deserve?

Scoots
06-26-2018, 09:04 PM

He was legit terrible, and the only reason he is still in the league is his dad. He did eventually get better, but it took a while and his father's faith in him and forcing him minutes that he didn't really earn ... which was of course the problem with his teammates.

Lakers + Giants
06-26-2018, 09:09 PM
He was legit terrible, and the only reason he is still in the league is his dad. He did eventually get better, but it took a while and his father's faith in him and forcing him minutes that he didn't really earn ... which was of course the problem with his teammates.

^

kdspurman
06-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Chronz is out celebrating I take it

BKLYNpigeon
06-26-2018, 10:56 PM
Or it's that Doc gave his son a terrible contract that he didn't deserve?

Its bad but not terrible. all those contracts from 2016 were Awful.

Id rather have Austin Rivers and that contract then, Delladova, Allen Crabb, and Tyler Johnson.

BKLYNpigeon
06-26-2018, 10:57 PM

Thats such a stupid reason to hate a player.

Can we say the same about Bronny James jr when he comes to the NBA? "former players son born of privilege."

all these current athletes kids will be born privileged.. do you see the hypocrisy?

HandsOnTheWheel
06-26-2018, 11:57 PM
Its bad but not terrible. all those contracts from 2016 were Awful.

Id rather have Austin Rivers and that contract then, Delladova, Allen Crabb, and Tyler Johnson.

Still reeks of nepotism.

Saddletramp
06-27-2018, 12:12 AM
Thats such a stupid reason to hate a player.

Can we say the same about Bronny James jr when he comes to the NBA? "former players son born of privilege."

all these current athletes kids will be born privileged.. do you see the hypocrisy?

Shhhhh.....youíre interrupting him blaming stuff on racism.

aman_13
06-27-2018, 12:33 AM
How much does this have to do with Gortat's relationship with Wall? It looked shaky.

KingPosey
06-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Iím guessing Doc signed him to a max before he moved him?

mightybosstone
06-27-2018, 08:25 AM
Wow. Has Gortat really fallen off that much that he could be traded straight up for Austin freaking Rivers?

I remember when Morey showed up at his doorstep at midnight at the start of free agency years ago, and he went to Orlando anyway. It's shocking to me now how upset I was over it that summer given how pedestrian his career has been since.

IndyRealist
06-27-2018, 08:41 AM
Austin Rivers had ONE year of average offensive output, 2016-17. He's below average across the board. Always has been. An aging Gortat is still a win.

beasted86
06-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Austin Rivers had ONE year of average offensive output, 2016-17. He's below average across the board. Always has been. An aging Gortat is still a win.

I can name at minimum 200 worse players and there's only like 450 in the league.

I'd jump at a Tyler Johnson for Austin Rivers trade.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-27-2018, 10:12 AM
He's really not that bad

IndyRealist
06-27-2018, 10:18 AM
I can name at minimum 200 worse players and there's only like 450 in the league.

I'd jump at a Tyler Johnson for Austin Rivers trade.

Almost across the board, Johnson is a better player than Rivers. What am I missing here? What do you think Rivers does well?

IndyRealist
06-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Let me put it this way, you'd put him in your top 250. There are 150 starters, leaving 100 BENCH players you'd still rather have. Splitting evenly among the 30 teams, that makes Austin the 9th guy off the bench, by your own count. Now, how much do you think the 9th guy should be making? I'm going to assume you're not going to say $12.6 million, because that's what Austin makes next year.

He's that terrible combination of a poor player who get lots of minutes, so he can cost you a ton of wins. Players on his level SHOULD be 8mpg, injury replacement guys. Not getting starters minutes.

beasted86
06-27-2018, 10:31 AM
Almost across the board, Johnson is a better player than Rivers. What am I missing here? What do you think Rivers does well?

They are similar players but one makes $8M less. TJ is also largely more injury prone. Made of glass actually.

IndyRealist
06-27-2018, 10:37 AM
They are similar players but one makes $8M less. TJ is also largely more injury prone. Made of glass actually.

So it really has nothing to do with Austin Rivers at all. You just want to be rid of Tyler Johnson. That's not the same as Austin being a good player.

mightybosstone
06-27-2018, 10:45 AM
Let me put it this way, you'd put him in your top 250. There are 150 starters, leaving 100 BENCH players you'd still rather have. Splitting evenly among the 30 teams, that makes Austin the 9th guy off the bench, by your own count. Now, how much do you think the 9th guy should be making? I'm going to assume you're not going to say $12.6 million, because that's what Austin makes next year.

He's that terrible combination of a poor player who get lots of minutes, so he can cost you a ton of wins. Players on his level SHOULD be 8mpg, injury replacement guys. Not getting starters minutes.

Yeah, I agree on this. Pretty much all advanced stats say he's a below average player, and the eye test doesn't do anything to help his case. I don't exactly think Gortat is some great prize, but I would definitely rather have a competent, versatile center than an inefficient, shoot-first point guard who doesn't play defense. Factor in Gortat's ability to stay health and Rivers' nagging injuries the last few seasons, and this deal just seems really one-sided to me...

FlashBolt
06-27-2018, 01:05 PM
This trade was to rebuild and give younger players more opportunities. Austin is a ball dominant guard who achieves average results. He's good for your bench but the guy genuinely gets way too many minutes as the result of being his dad's son. It's great West is putting an end to this crap because Austin is not that great.

Jamiecballer
06-27-2018, 01:20 PM
clearly this was to make wall happy.

yep. don't waste your time trying to figure out what the basketball reasons are for this trade.

this is a john wall deal.

FlashBolt
06-27-2018, 01:22 PM
yep

No one likes Wall on the team so they better get rid of the root problem (Wall) before they realize other teams catch on that he's a locker room killer. And the contract they gave Wall is absurd. This dude is not worth $40 million per year in any universe. Amazing how these guys get paid and none of it is based on results.

FlashBolt
06-27-2018, 01:22 PM
yep. don't waste your time trying to figure out what the basketball reasons are for this trade.

this is a john wall deal.

Not for Clippers.

Jamiecballer
06-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Not for Clippers.

it's hard to say. there is nobody in the world turning down that exchange unless they dislike Gortat as a person, which frankly isn't terribly difficult to imagine. but nobody is going to say that publicly, so you can be sure there will be all kinds of explanations none of which will be true.

i would have traded Wall personally but that's just me.

FlashBolt
06-27-2018, 01:27 PM
it's hard to say. there is nobody in the world turning down that exchange unless they dislike Gortat as a person, which frankly isn't terribly difficult to imagine. but nobody is going to say that publicly, so you can be sure there will be all kinds of explanations none of which will be true.

i would have traded Wall personally but that's just me.

Clippers just got Shae (PG) and West is very good with drafting players. He didn't want Austin Rivers pounding and hurting the development of Shae.

Cracka2HI!
06-27-2018, 11:36 PM
I used to get **** on here for suggesting Austin wasn't literally the worst player in the NBA. Yesterday he got traded for Gortat who was a gawd around here in the mock's and redrafts. Austin is one my favorite players in the league but I'm really glad The Clippers did this. Gortat really isn't much anymore and if Austin keeps improving at the rate he is he could beco....I'm not putting myself out there again lol. It's very true that Austin may not have been in the league without his Dad. I always admitted he was that bad for New Orleans but honestly, he never was for The Clippers. He has bad stats, even this year I think he was only around average or a little below(queue some Chronz analysis). I don't think the stats ever told the story with Austin. He made a lot of big shots and kept The Clippers in a lot of games off a terrible bench with guys like Turkuglu, Wes Johnson, Hawes and Jordan Farmer. Oh and Big Baby. Rivers and Crawford basically took turns playing hero ball and it actually wasn't always horrible.

I have a theory on another common theory around here as it relates to Austin playing too many minutes because of his Dad. Austin did play too many minutes because of Doc...but it wasn't nepotism. It wasn't Doc the coach that had to play him too many minutes, it was Doc the GM. Austin had to play mainly because he was the only young player on the team capable of playing big minutes when people got hurt. Sadly there just weren't any other options. Doc sucked so hard as a GM that he had to play Austin freaking Rivers 40 minutes some nights. I think his stats suffered badly because of that. When he's off he's terrible and I'm sure the advanced stats pick that up better than anything.

He really is a warrior. I'm telling you, he's a tough kid. Go back and watch the playoff game he played with a busted face. Not many NBA players do **** like that. Is was NHL level. He takes a beating out there and never backs down. If you don't hate him he really does have swag. I definitely see why people hate him and the stench of nepotism was so bad that his time needed to be up. The two rookie guards needed a clean slate. Austin was fun to watch this year. He can really get to the rim and has developed a good 3 pointer a few mid range moves.

I'm not sure if Washington is great situation for him but I can see him being a 20 PPG guy who plays solid D in a few years. His teams may be worse off for it but that's a different story.It could get ugly in Washington for Austin imo. I'm talking Artest/Jackson ugly as I hear he's homies with Wall. Whether you like Austin or not, The Clippers fetching Gortat for him tells you the value of Austin Rivers in the NBA is not the same as Austin Rivers on PSD. That feels like vindication for those of us who have been telling people Austin ain't that bad all along.

Austin made a terrific post thanking Clipper fans today on IG. It made me want to come to one place I posted a lot and thank him.

Thank You Austin,

It was a pleasure. Good Luck in Washington!

TrueFan420
06-28-2018, 12:29 AM
Wow. Has Gortat really fallen off that much that he could be traded straight up for Austin freaking Rivers?

I remember when Morey showed up at his doorstep at midnight at the start of free agency years ago, and he went to Orlando anyway. It's shocking to me now how upset I was over it that summer given how pedestrian his career has been since.

I think it's a combo of the fact that he's an old school center in a new league. He's not a great fit for a lot of teams. Then add in that he and Wall seem to have issues and it's more understandable. Rivers is also in his last year if I remember correctly. So it's a wash as far long term commitment.

Having said that, I would have still thought they could have gotten better value.

TakeYourL
06-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Austin rivers game is so wack, the way he plays just annoys me.

Chronz
06-28-2018, 12:58 PM

Yeah but adjust that for his position and he's less ******

beasted86
06-30-2018, 12:21 PM
So it really has nothing to do with Austin Rivers at all. You just want to be rid of Tyler Johnson. That's not the same as Austin being a good player.

No. I've watched enough of Rivers to say he's on par with TJ. They are both league average guys who can have a biggish game here or there. Guys that have surprising athleticism when they want to use it but don't often enough. Guys who aren't a PG at all but some random (totally clueless) guy thinks they could be a better PG with their size at the position if they just worked a little more on those skills.

They are mostly identical.

TJ is massively overpaid. Rivers right now is paid just about right. TJ is also frustratingly injury prone and always nursing some sort of ankle, shoulder, or wrist injury.

FlashBolt
06-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Beef between Gortat/Wall started because Gortat said he's having to defend vs guards too much because Wall is letting them switch to Gortat because he doesn't want to play defense. Gortat implies that he's not getting any help and Wall starts cursing at Gortat. Wall is an entitled little baby. He's Washington's problem now. Very good player but when half the team basically hates you, you're worthless.

beasted86
06-30-2018, 04:06 PM

I said at minimum. Out of the bench caliber guards he's just fine. Considering he got paid in the inflated summer his contact is not that bad.

Your "coach's son" joke expired a while ago. For at least the past 2 years Rivers is a legit NBA player and would be a regular rotation player on 99% of the teams.

FlashBolt
06-30-2018, 06:01 PM
I said at minimum. Out of the bench caliber guards he's just fine. Considering he got paid in the inflated summer his contact is not that bad.

Your "coach's son" joke expired a while ago. For at least the past 2 years Rivers is a legit NBA player and would be a regular rotation player on 99% of the teams.

His son is a below average player. His PER rating is way below the average PER (15). His son's only value at this point is shooting the ball but he's below average at every other part of the game. His FT shooting is terrible, his decision making is very poor for a rotational player considering his AST/TO ratio is very poor. Teams don't even do much of anything to gameplan for him so it makes no sense for his AST/TO to be that poor unless he's just not that good of a playmaker. He can't rebound and is a pretty average defender at best. His dad tried playing him 30 minutes last season and likely would have done the same the upcoming season so Austin can get a good contract. Let's call it what it is: Austin Rivers does not deserve 30 minutes on any team and his contributions are below average because he is a below average player.