PDA

View Full Version : Denver to sign C Nikola Jokic to 5 yr 147 mill extension

redsox12
06-25-2018, 11:32 AM
The Nuggets have declined Nikola Jokic's option for 2018-19 in order to offer him a max deal.
He'll be a restricted free agent until the two sides come to an agreement. According to Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports, that agreement is already in place with Jokic expected to sign a five-year, $146.5M maximum contract. It's an easy decision for the Nuggets as Jokic is one of the best young talents in the NBA and is the engine of their offense.

rotoworld

TheDish87
06-25-2018, 11:40 AM
hes not worth 30mil per year

COOLbeans
06-25-2018, 12:07 PM

He is to denver

BKLYNpigeon
06-25-2018, 12:35 PM
Should be a new rule in the NBA.

After your Rookie deal is over, Cant get a max extension if you don't make an All NBA or All Star Team.

Scoots
06-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Who was the last 2nd round pick to sign a max deal?

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Who was the last 2nd round pick to sign a max deal?

Bucks had Michael Redd many moons ago as second round pick that got maxed. Then got injured then held us hostage cap wise for like 2 or 3 years.

beasted86
06-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Can't forget Agent Zero, after all there's a cap rule named after him.

I think he's more worth it than other guys who've gotten that money. His game should age well barring injury.

Would gladly swap Whiteside for Jokic given that salary difference also.

THE MTL
06-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Wait so they had an option for another year? Any reason they didnt wanna wait till next year to give him the max.

Jeffy25
06-25-2018, 01:24 PM
Wait so they had an option for another year? Any reason they didnt wanna wait till next year to give him the max.

His agent said he wouldn't sign long term with Denver if they exercised the option.

Vinylman
06-25-2018, 01:42 PM
good for him

bad for parity in the nba

mightybosstone
06-25-2018, 02:14 PM

I'll agree to disagree. I love Jokic and think the guy is a stud. I don't know that he can be the best guy on a championship team, but he's definitely one of the 20-25 best players in the league and could certainly be the No. 1 guy on a solid playoff team.

If Denver ever gets an elite guard or wing to pair with him, that Nuggets team is going to be dangerous.

Scoots
06-25-2018, 03:06 PM
Can't forget Agent Zero, after all there's a cap rule named after him.

I think he's more worth it than other guys who've gotten that money. His game should age well barring injury.

Would gladly swap Whiteside for Jokic given that salary difference also.

Arenas actually signed for less than the max ... it could have been $16M worse for the Wiz. I was on what I thought was the losing side of that deal ... until he couldn't stay healthy. This year the Warriors have a chance to keep McCaw because of the Arenas rule.

KnicksorBust
06-25-2018, 03:16 PM

After your Rookie deal is over, Cant get a max extension if you don't make an All NBA or All Star Team.

To protect teams from themselves? Lame.

KnicksorBust
06-25-2018, 03:16 PM

I think he is in today's game.

Bostonjorge
06-25-2018, 03:21 PM

2nd round picks are not restricted after the rookie contract. Denver canít risk him leaving and get nothing in return.

IndyRealist
06-25-2018, 03:53 PM

Disagree. I think he's on par with Embiid, without the injury concerns. He's a franchise guy, and while he's not going to singlehandedly carry you to the Finals, what guy not named Lebron can?

Now if you're talking about if you want to build around an offensive center, that's another matter entirely. But he's worth the money.

TheDish87
06-25-2018, 03:59 PM
hes not even close to Embiid as an a l around player. stop it.

IndyRealist
06-25-2018, 04:05 PM

Did I say all around player? I said he was on par. He is as good offensively as Embiid is defensively.

TheDish87
06-25-2018, 04:25 PM
not really

Scoots
06-25-2018, 04:31 PM
2nd round picks are not restricted after the rookie contract. Denver canít risk him leaving and get nothing in return.

2nd round picks ARE restricted after their rookie contract. Look up the Arenas rule.

tredigs
06-25-2018, 04:42 PM

Embiid has NOTHING on Jokic offensively. He's a near 40% 3pt shooter with playmaking skills that rank among the best bigs of all time. He ranks higher than Embiid in RPM and it makes sense. He's a better player.

TheDish87
06-25-2018, 05:05 PM
no hes not lol but keep thinking that. dude cant defend a chair

Scoots
06-25-2018, 05:30 PM

He can totally defend a chair.

Vee-Rex
06-25-2018, 05:46 PM
Jokic is a helluva player. If you're Denver you drop that 30 million on him in a heartbeat.

More-Than-Most
06-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Great deal. Dude can ball and really only needs to work on his defense.

More-Than-Most
06-25-2018, 07:15 PM
Embiid has NOTHING on Jokic offensively. He's a near 40% 3pt shooter with playmaking skills that rank among the best bigs of all time. He ranks higher than Embiid in RPM and it makes sense. He's a better player.

Embiid is asked to do a ton more and it hinders him in all honesty. Jokic is the superior offensive talent right now until embiid either stops forcing his 3s or stops turning the ball over... Embiid has more skill but people are really ******** on how great jokic is... I have no issues with your overall thinking here though. Embiids issues are he is kinda dumb in terms of basketball ball IQ on the offensive end. Jokic takes what the defenses give him but never does anything that shows his weaknesses... embiid will try to dribble around a double team where jokic will find the open man... Embiid is the superior talent but jokic is the smarter player. Embiid needs to understand his weaknesses better.

More-Than-Most
06-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Did I say all around player? I said he was on par. He is as good offensively as Embiid is defensively.

yup agreed. What cant jokic do offensively... The dude shoots the 3 at 40 percent and dishes out 6 plus dimes a game... Extremely efficient as well. He understands what his weaknesses are and doesnt try to do more than he is asked.

valade16
06-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Embiid is asked to do a ton more and it hinders him in all honesty. Jokic is the superior offensive talent right now until embiid either stops forcing his 3s or stops turning the ball over... Embiid has more skill but people are really ******** on how great jokic is... I have no issues with your overall thinking here though.

Than Jokic? Not offensively.

More-Than-Most
06-25-2018, 07:30 PM
Than Jokic? Not offensively.

I was talking on both ends of the floor... Playing the defense the way embiid does for his size where he is asked to guard everything limits him esp coming off injuries. I dont want embiid going out against PGs like we allow him... That plus the amount of double and sometimes triple teams are a big part of why jokic is better offensively... The other is embiid is offensively dumb.

More-Than-Most
06-25-2018, 07:31 PM
If you dont think jokic is worth this and more i feel sorry for you. per 36 dude puts up like 20/11/7 on great shooting. He has time to work on his defense.

All-In
06-25-2018, 07:35 PM
2nd round picks ARE restricted after their rookie contract. Look up the Arenas rule.

If Denver would've opted in then Joklc would've been an UFA next summer, thats why they opted out so they can retain his RFA, heres an article somewhat explaining it:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/20/16998688/nikola-jokic-contract-free-agent-denver-nuggets-nba

zn23
06-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Let my boy eat

IndyRealist
06-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Embiid is asked to do a ton more and it hinders him in all honesty. Jokic is the superior offensive talent right now until embiid either stops forcing his 3s or stops turning the ball over... Embiid has more skill but people are really ******** on how great jokic is... I have no issues with your overall thinking here though. Embiids issues are he is kinda dumb in terms of basketball ball IQ on the offensive end. Jokic takes what the defenses give him but never does anything that shows his weaknesses... embiid will try to dribble around a double team where jokic will find the open man... Embiid is the superior talent but jokic is the smarter player. Embiid needs to understand his weaknesses better.

10 times out of 10 I'd rather build around a healthy Embiid than Jokic. Having said that, this is in no way a bad move by Denver.

Scoots
06-25-2018, 08:02 PM
If Denver would've opted in then Joklc would've been an UFA next summer, thats why they opted out so they can retain his RFA, heres an article somewhat explaining it:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/20/16998688/nikola-jokic-contract-free-agent-denver-nuggets-nba

This is what I was talking about. I understand what happened with Jokic. https://moorebasketball.com/2016/06/21/how-it-works-the-gilbert-arenas-provision/

zn23
06-25-2018, 08:18 PM
Denver had to do this. Jokic clearly outplayed his contract and was a lot better than the 2nd round where he was drafted (Might actually have a case as the greatest 2nd round pick ever when it's all said and done).

Jokic has very high bball IQ and he's a modern center with guard skills. He can last 20 years because he doesn't exert himself so you don't have to deal with that injury risk that other higher profile centers who rely on their athletic ability have (Gobert and Embiid).

What the Nuggets are also doing with this move is basically saying that they're rolling with whatever they got right now for this year. Both Arthur and Chandler opted in on the last year of their contract so they're going to swallow those contracts. They obviously won't be be able to resign Will Barton (who is looking for a max probably). They feel that they're a good enough team that they can make the playoffs this upcoming season all while MPJr gets better.

More-Than-Most
06-25-2018, 08:19 PM
Denver had to do this. Jokic clearly outplayed his contract and was a lot better than the 2nd round where he was drafted (Might actually have a case as the greatest 2nd round pick ever when it's all said and done).

Jokic has very high bball IQ and he's a modern center with guard skills. He can last 20 years because he doesn't exert himself so you don't have to deal with that injury risk that other higher profile centers who rely on their athletic ability have (Gobert and Embiid).

What the Nuggets are also doing with this move is basically saying that they're rolling with whatever they got right now for this year. Both Arthur and Chandler opted in on the last year of their contract so they're going to swallow those contracts. They obviously won't be be able to resign Will Barton (who is looking for a max probably). They feel that they're a good enough team that they can make the playoffs this upcoming season all while MPJr gets better.

yup.

If we are comparing the 2 embiid/jokic... Its kind of like the Shaq/Duncan thing... Neither might never be as good and I am not comparing them in that way but embiid is more flash/beast/physical talent where jokic has a really smart head on his shoulders and understands the game while being damn good. Embiid is likely the better player over the next 8 years where jokic is still playing at a high level from year 8-14

cmellofan15
06-25-2018, 08:20 PM

Odds are Embiid is prolly in that chair while Jokic is actually ON the court.

All-In
06-25-2018, 10:01 PM
This is what I was talking about. I understand what happened with Jokic. https://moorebasketball.com/2016/06/21/how-it-works-the-gilbert-arenas-provision/

Yep, Im aware but since you said 2nd rd picks are restricted after their rookie contract and you didn't clarify otherwise for Jokic just wanted to make sure the forum understood why Denver did what they did

Scoots
06-25-2018, 10:28 PM
Yep, Im aware but since you said 2nd rd picks are restricted after their rookie contract and you didn't clarify otherwise for Jokic just wanted to make sure the forum understood why Denver did what they did

Sorry, I was just refuting someone else's statement that "2nd round picks are not restricted after the rookie contract." It was a flat statement that was not correct. I didn't mean to imply anything beyond that.

tp13baby
06-25-2018, 10:42 PM
Realistically he can be a 25/12/7 guy as a center. Malone just needs to figure out how to coach and run your **** through your best player.

and At the dude who doesnít think he is worth a max deal, you are high. Jokic is the reason we are a top 3 efficiency offense in the league when he has been healthy. Defensively he isnít Embiid. Everyone knows he isnít athletic so he wonít block shots. But in every statistic we are better defensively with him on the court. He is a very good team defender. His rebounding is excellent and he has good hands which result in turnovers. Analytics wise his numbers arenít bad. He doesnít block shots, and protects his fouls a ton. But he canít defend a chair? Come on man.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-25-2018, 11:04 PM

Lol why would anyone agree to put that much money on the line over something in the hands of other people.

They get All NBA and All stars all the time.

TakeYourL
06-25-2018, 11:39 PM
Easing decision for the nugs, people keep bringing up his scoring but his passing is off the charts. Good passers have become pretty rare when you think about it.

c.c.
06-25-2018, 11:39 PM
Might be the highest paid front court in the league or is it the Pelicans?

But is the Nuggets the best front court in the NBA? Do it even mean anything to have the best front court in todayís NBA?

I donít know, do anyone have answers please.

cmellofan15
06-25-2018, 11:43 PM
Nah millsaps defense took a dive this year, best front court duo is AD and Cousins

TakeYourL
06-25-2018, 11:48 PM
Might be the highest paid front court in the league or is it the Pelicans?

But is the Nuggets the best front court in the NBA? Do it even mean anything to have the best front court in todayís NBA?

I donít know, do anyone have answers please.

I like jokic and think he's easily worth the contract, but I'll never call a center who is that bad on defense part of the best front courts in the NBA.

CityofTreez
06-25-2018, 11:55 PM
Good for Jokic and the Nuggets.

Lock him up and keep feeding him the rock. Reap the benefits and watch the team develop around your centerpiece.

Bostonjorge
06-25-2018, 11:57 PM

Your right. I just looked it up.

c.c.
06-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Nah millsaps defense took a dive this year, best front court duo is AD and Cousins

Im trying to think of another front court duo worth discussing but canít think of none.

Porzingis & Kanter
Griffin & Drummond
Embiid & Saric

Cal827
06-26-2018, 12:38 AM
Hopefully this will make Denver take Ibaka and Send Milsap to help with salary issues :D

:laugh2: All stupid selfishness aside, good for Denver to lock their budding star up. Hopefully he continues his upward trend. Denver couldn't risk him going to FA at this point. And hey, 5 years from now, they'll likely be building into the contender as some of the other guys develop, and teams like the Warriors should be tapering off a little (Maybe another team to deal with in LA though :laugh2: Well according to all the rumors of everyone wanting to go to LA again)

tp13baby
06-26-2018, 03:56 AM
I like jokic and think he's easily worth the contract, but I'll never call a center who is that bad on defense part of the best front courts in the NBA.

Name 3 better front courts Iíll wait. He really isnít bad defensively. He isnít good but he has become very average.

TakeYourL
06-26-2018, 07:15 AM
Name 3 better front courts Iíll wait. He really isnít bad defensively. He isnít good but he has become very average.

Nah he's awful defensively, a center/pf with no 1 on 1 defense, and zero help defense makes them the go to target for other teams to attack.

Same with amare and love, once those dudes got caught In the paint, ball handlers just go right to the rim like they aren't even there.

tp13baby
06-26-2018, 08:20 AM
Nah he's awful defensively, a center/pf with no 1 on 1 defense, and zero help defense makes them the go to target for other teams to attack.

Same with amare and love, once those dudes got caught In the paint, ball handlers just go right to the rim like they aren't even there.

Defensive win shares he is 42nd in the league tied with Durant, Danny Green, Jrue Holiday. He ranked 13th for centers in that category.

DBPM he ranks 39th in the league tied with guys like Anthony Davis and Whiteside.

Defensive rating when Jokic is on the floor period was 107.8 which would rank 21st in the league. 110 when he is off the floor.

He ranks in the top 9 percentile for defensive rebound percentage, top 4 percent for steals for a center. We know he isnít the traditional rim protecting center. And when he doesnít try if defense he looks extremely bad. But awful just goes to show how you donít watch his game. He is somewhere around average defensively and offensively he is elite.

IndyRealist
06-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Does Milsap even qualify? He only started 37 games.

Possible frontcourts better:
AD Cousins
Lebron Love
KAT Gibson
KP Kanter
Gobert Favors
Embiid Saric

Depends on if you qualify Milsap or not, and if you think he's declining.

TheDish87
06-26-2018, 08:50 AM
If you dont think jokic is worth this and more i feel sorry for you. per 36 dude puts up like 20/11/7 on great shooting. He has time to work on his defense.

PER min stats are dumb. its a suggestion/projection, he doesnt play 36 min per game so its irrelevant. hes a damn good player but not a max guy to me, should be more like your co-2nd or 3rd best player.

TheDish87
06-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Defensive win shares he is 42nd in the league tied with Durant, Danny Green, Jrue Holiday. He ranked 13th for centers in that category.

DBPM he ranks 39th in the league tied with guys like Anthony Davis and Whiteside.

Defensive rating when Jokic is on the floor period was 107.8 which would rank 21st in the league. 110 when he is off the floor.

He ranks in the top 9 percentile for defensive rebound percentage, top 4 percent for steals for a center. We know he isnít the traditional rim protecting center. And when he doesnít try if defense he looks extremely bad. But awful just goes to show how you donít watch his game. He is somewhere around average defensively and offensively he is elite.

**** those dumb stats. 4th quarter tight game in the final mins do you trust him to stop dudes like AD, Cousins, Embiid, Gasol, Towns, etc? i sure dont.

Heediot
06-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Legit concerns about leaving the guy on an Island defensively. Offensively though, the guy is bread and butter with the way he can control a game, especially for a big in the modern era. I didn't like what I saw late vs. Minny and will give him the benefit of the doubt, I want to see what he's made of when the pressure ramps up. OTOH Towns looked solid late in the same game but faded in the playoffs a bit. Jokic Still worth the loot.

Heediot
06-26-2018, 08:57 AM
**** those dumb stats. 4th quarter tight game in the final mins do you trust him to stop dudes like AD, Cousins, Embiid, Gasol, Towns, etc? i sure dont.

Davis would give him the most problems because the guy is too quick. Jokic problem is handling ball handlers and speed off the pnr or when left on an island. He's bad in some respects but in others he'll surprise you too.

TheDish87
06-26-2018, 09:34 AM
over the course of a regular season im sure he would surprise me but im not a big fan of using reg season stats when you play so many bad teams and players. im about reliability when it maters and i dont feel like you can rely on on him when it matters most. hes only 25 (i think) so hes got room to grow but they really need to hope Porter is the real deal or Murray can make a big leap.

Heediot
06-26-2018, 09:51 AM
over the course of a regular season im sure he would surprise me but im not a big fan of using reg season stats when you play so many bad teams and players. im about reliability when it maters and i dont feel like you can rely on on him when it matters most. hes only 25 (i think) so hes got room to grow but they really need to hope Porter is the real deal or Murray can make a big leap.

He's 23.

I agree one of Murray or Porter need to be 1A or 1B to Jokic for them to truly contend.

IndyRealist
06-26-2018, 10:25 AM

I trust him to score on those guys more than I trust Embiid to. Tp's not saying he'd good defensively, he's saying he's not terrible.

TheDish87
06-26-2018, 01:35 PM
ill take the more physically imposing player over the guy who scored single digits 15 times. im saying Jokic is far from reliable on the defensive end

tp13baby
06-26-2018, 07:08 PM
ill take the more physically imposing player over the guy who scored single digits 15 times. im saying Jokic is far from reliable on the defensive end

The guy that scored single digits 15 times Still carrried his team to a top 6 offensive team last year and a top 2 offensive team the year before.

cmellofan15
06-26-2018, 07:15 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha you donít like his reliability but youíre on here vouching for Embiid?? Lmao dude you are a walking contradiction.

Scoots
06-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Jokic is incredibly talented, nobody should doubt that ... he's got some speed/quickness issues, but he's really smart so his game should grow considerably with experience.

M.L.G.A.
06-26-2018, 10:46 PM

So that means hes a RFA, how was Denver able to sign him already? Wouldn't he fall into the same category as Randle, Capella, etc.? It's confusing.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-26-2018, 10:48 PM
So that means hes a RFA, how was Denver able to sign him already? Wouldn't he fall into the same category as Randle, Capella, etc.? It's confusing.

It says "Denver to sign".

It hasn't happened yet.

M.L.G.A.
06-26-2018, 10:49 PM
Why was Denver able to sign him already before July 1st? As a RFA, wouldn't he fall into the same camp as Randle, Capela, Parker, Gordon, etc and thus have to wait until free agency begins? Wouldn't that mean other teams would have a shot at him?

Scoots
06-26-2018, 11:33 PM
Why was Denver able to sign him already before July 1st? As a RFA, wouldn't he fall into the same camp as Randle, Capela, Parker, Gordon, etc and thus have to wait until free agency begins? Wouldn't that mean other teams would have a shot at him?

Because they haven't signed him

M.L.G.A.
06-27-2018, 01:24 AM
So does that mean other teams will have a chance at him?

IndyRealist
06-27-2018, 08:35 AM
So does that mean other teams will have a chance at him?

That's not how restricted free agency works. Denver has the right to match any offer he gets, and they're already offering a bigger contract than anyone else can offer. The only way for him not to be a Nugget is to take the qualifying offer.

TheDish87
06-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Hahahahahahahahahaha you donít like his reliability but youíre on here vouching for Embiid?? Lmao dude you are a walking contradiction.

read the rest of my posts, dude. was never talking about health. Besides Embiid is fine, cant help a teammate smashing into his face.

tp13baby
06-28-2018, 10:53 AM
read the rest of my posts, dude. was never talking about health. Besides Embiid is fine, cant help a teammate smashing into his face.

I just donít agree with your sentiment. Jokic at 23 who will get better, and on any list is top 30 in this league about to enter his prime, is elite offensively, elite intelligence wise, average defensively and you would rather take a physically imposing big like DeAndre who Jokic works every time we play LAC?

I know you donít watch Nuggets games, so statistically On defense we are better with him on the floor, top rebounder and steals, and you say he is terrible defensively. Where are you getting your opinion? Doesnít make top 10 espn plays on defense? His 1st full year starting he didnít make the allstar game? Iím just curious.

TheDish87
06-28-2018, 11:00 AM
when did i ever mention DJ???

Jokic is nice, i never said he isnt good all im saying is i dont think hes a max player/number 1 guy on a contending team and he cant be relied on to make defensive stops with game on the line.

IndyRealist
06-28-2018, 11:09 AM

Jokic is nice, i never said he isnt good all im saying is i dont think hes a max player/number 1 guy on a contending team and he cant be relied on to make defensive stops with game on the line.

Max player and #1 guy on a contender are two different things. PG is not a #1 on a contender, but he's definitely getting max.

TheDish87
06-28-2018, 12:03 PM
getting a max and deserving of a max are much different things. PG was a number 1 guy on a contender depending how serious you took those baby Pacers teams

IndyRealist
06-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Of course some teams hand out stupid deals, but with max contracts guys like Lebron are underpaid. You literally can't pay them what they are worth. So if Lebron is actually a $50mil player, is it unreasonable that Jokic gets $30mil? People get too hung up on the idea of "max" deals. You're gonna have a minimum of two guys making max if you want to contend.

M.L.G.A.
06-28-2018, 08:16 PM
That's not how restricted free agency works. Denver has the right to match any offer he gets, and they're already offering a bigger contract than anyone else can offer. The only way for him not to be a Nugget is to take the qualifying offer.

Yeah I finally get it. They offered the max that can be offered so in essence already matched whoever was going to throw him an offer sheet so skipping a step. And now it's just a matter of time for hon to sign. It's apparently a 5 year deal with no options. Might not be a bad contract for Denver who 1. Can't get stars to come to Denver and 2. Lock in a potential multi year all star in which the this might be cheaper contract in years 3 4 5 when salary cap goes higher.

JAZZNC
06-29-2018, 03:58 AM

Well if we are just going off of right now Embiid can't be counted on to hit a gimme at the rim against an unathletic white guy with the game on the line sooooo.....

J4KOP99
06-29-2018, 09:26 AM
Denver is gonna pay some serious money if they can't get out from under some of these contracts

Scoots
06-30-2018, 10:44 AM
Denver is gonna pay some serious money if they can't get out from under some of these contracts

So many teams are looking to dump salary this offseason. The free agents are going to get a lot less than they want and I suspect a record number of 1 year deals are going to be signed.

tp13baby
06-30-2018, 12:06 PM

You want a physically imposing center. Embiid, Gobert and Towns (marginally) are better. Those are clear cut better. What other physically imposing center would you take over Jokic? Honestly.

The dude is 23 I think with his production and his improvement he deserves nothing less. Top 30 NBA player at age 23 with a game that doesnít use an ounce of athleticism to be an elite offensive player and average defense, Iíll take the investment of maxing him every time.

mgjohnson7851
07-01-2018, 03:09 AM
Embiid has NOTHING on Jokic offensively. He's a near 40% 3pt shooter with playmaking skills that rank among the best bigs of all time. He ranks higher than Embiid in RPM and it makes sense. He's a better player.Lol he don't know what he's talking about. Jokic is definitely on par with Embiid.