PDA

View Full Version : Crunch Time idea

Scoots
06-20-2018, 03:45 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23825970/zach-lowe-basketball-tournament-nba-crunch

This is interesting in that it would at least be an alternative to my wife's most common complaint about the last 4 minutes of a close NBA game taking 40 minutes.

The idea:

With 4 minutes left the game ends when either team scores more total points that the current leaders score plus 7 ... if the score is 100-98 the game ends when either team scores 107 or more points.

JAZZNC
06-20-2018, 06:54 PM
Nah, you play the game out. It is what it is. Yeah it sucks when the last 2 minutes takes a half hour but that's just part of it.

Scoots
06-20-2018, 07:45 PM
Nah, you play the game out. It is what it is. Yeah it sucks when the last 2 minutes takes a half hour but that's just part of it.

Yeah, it concerns me that NBA people supposedly like it.

goingfor28
06-20-2018, 08:00 PM
That sounds incredibly stupid

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TylerSL
06-20-2018, 08:55 PM
I hate this idea. The problem with games taking so long to end is all the mandatory tv commercials between timeouts, because teams are using timeouts late game, and refs delaying the game with reviews. The NBA allows teams to huddle up and use reviews as timeouts, which wastes a lot of time. Officials take a long time reviewing plays, which takes a lot of time. NBA needs fewer commercials, faster reviews/decisions from officials, and stop letting teams huddle up during review. That would fix a lot of it.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-20-2018, 09:32 PM
That is as worse as MLB wanting guys on 2nd base on extra innings.

WaDe03
06-20-2018, 09:50 PM
**** that

TrueFan420
06-20-2018, 10:13 PM
I hate this idea. The problem with games taking so long to end is all the mandatory tv commercials between timeouts, because teams are using timeouts late game, and refs delaying the game with reviews. The NBA allows teams to huddle up and use reviews as timeouts, which wastes a lot of time. Officials take a long time reviewing plays, which takes a lot of time. NBA needs fewer commercials, faster reviews/decisions from officials, and stop letting teams huddle up during review. That would fix a lot of it.

Ding ding ding... cut the damn TV commercials.

Scoots
06-20-2018, 10:58 PM
Ding ding ding... cut the damn TV commercials.

And the refs can keep the game moving faster in general. There used to be a 10 second rule from when a ref gives a player shooting FTs the ball until they have to shoot. How about we require the ref to get them the damn ball within 5 seconds and the player to shoot within 5 seconds. And only allow player substitutions on called timeouts not on every stop of the clock ... intentional foul, ref finds the ball, wanders to under the basket taking time to show the player shooting where he needs to stand to shoot his FTs, maybe allows half the team on the floor to be substituted, wanders around making sure everyone is lined up where they need to be, hands the ball to the shooter, 15 seconds later they shoot a FT, half of the other team is substituted as a reaction to the first group of substitutions, players get lined up, ref has ball boy dry some sweat that pooled since players have been standing around, ball eventually goes to the shooter, FT shot ... Oh NO, he's got 3 FTs coming!

Even without the commercials it's painful.

How about after 4 minutes are left in the game only allow substitutions on TOs and each team only gets 2 TOs for the remainder of the game?

TrueFan420
06-20-2018, 11:52 PM
And the refs can keep the game moving faster in general. There used to be a 10 second rule from when a ref gives a player shooting FTs the ball until they have to shoot. How about we require the ref to get them the damn ball within 5 seconds and the player to shoot within 5 seconds. And only allow player substitutions on called timeouts not on every stop of the clock ... intentional foul, ref finds the ball, wanders to under the basket taking time to show the player shooting where he needs to stand to shoot his FTs, maybe allows half the team on the floor to be substituted, wanders around making sure everyone is lined up where they need to be, hands the ball to the shooter, 15 seconds later they shoot a FT, half of the other team is substituted as a reaction to the first group of substitutions, players get lined up, ref has ball boy dry some sweat that pooled since players have been standing around, ball eventually goes to the shooter, FT shot ... Oh NO, he's got 3 FTs coming!

Even without the commercials it's painful.

How about after 4 minutes are left in the game only allow substitutions on TOs and each team only gets 2 TOs for the remainder of the game?

No doubt there's a lot of stuff they could and should do to speed it up without changing the game.

KnicksorBust
06-21-2018, 06:29 AM
As an nba diehard the end of games doesn't bother me so I would never change it. But I actually watch that goofy 3 v 3 ice cube league and they play to a total score of 50 and I have to admit that it is entertaining when you know the final score a team needs to win.