PDA

View Full Version : Best 27th Overall Pick of All-Time

Jeffy25
06-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Our current draft

28. Tony Parker - Spurs
29. Dennis Johnson - Sonics
30. Jimmy Butler - Bulls

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/draft_finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=&year_max=&round_min=&round_max=&pick_overall_min=27&pick_overall_max=27&franch_id=&college_id=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&is_active=&is_hof=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=ws

Some notable picks

1986 - Dennis Rodman
1990 - Elden Campbell
2013 - Rudy Gobert
2007 - Aaron Affalo
1966 - John Block
1959 - John Neumann
2003 - Kendrick Perkins
1982 - Fred Roberts
2009 - DeMarre Carroll
2001 - Jamal Tinsley
2015 - Larry Nance Jr
2017 - Kyle Kuzma
2014 - Bogdan Boganovic
2016 - Pascal Siakam

hugepatsfan
06-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Seems like an easy call for Rodman.

Jeffy25
06-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Seems like an easy call for Rodman.

I see an argument for Gobert, and honestly, Campbell was a great player.

Rodman will always feel like a role player, no matter what, because of his limited offensive abilities. A guy you need for your chips and playoff runs to make your team a squad.

I dunno who to pick here yet.

Rivera
06-20-2018, 10:32 AM
another peak v resume debate. Resume Rodman wins. Rudy's peak is better than Rodmans. Rudy is also more efficient than Rodman

Give me Rudy Gobert here.

Scoots
06-20-2018, 10:54 AM
I'm going Gobert based on potential. If we eliminate current players then Rodman.

mrblisterdundee
06-20-2018, 11:04 AM
another peak v resume debate. Resume Rodman wins. Rudy's peak is better than Rodmans. Rudy is also more efficient than Rodman

Gobert isn't as versatile on defense as Rodman, who you can throw at literally any player ó Shaq, LeBron, Jordan, Curry, Klay, Durant. It doesn't matter. He can defend them all, while Gobert would get murdered on the perimeter.

FlashBolt
06-20-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm going Gobert based on potential. If we eliminate current players then Rodman.

Gobert would be lucky to be as good as Rodman..

dhopisthename
06-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Gobert isn't as versatile on defense as Rodman, who you can throw at literally any player ó Shaq, LeBron, Jordan, Curry, Klay, Durant. It doesn't matter. He can defend them all, while Gobert would get murdered on the perimeter.

so? Rudy affects defense more.

dhopisthename
06-20-2018, 12:03 PM

Rudy is already better then Rodman ever was.

Scoots
06-20-2018, 12:05 PM

Gobert is 25 years old after 4 years in the NBA ... Rodman at 25 was a rookie. Gobert is ahead of Rodman to this point. Rodman was one of my favorite players in the NBA, but Gobert is one of the best players in the NBA right now, any team he's on is a top 5 defensive team.

I get the argument for Rodman, but based on their NBA careers through age 25 Gobert is WAY ahead.

Rivera
06-20-2018, 12:06 PM

I dont disagree. There defensive stats are very similar depending on which metric you like better, you can make an argument for either for who had the greater defensive impact. Surprisingly Rodman only won 2 DPOY and Gobert should have 1 when the award is announced this year

with the overall defensive impacts being so close, I value Rudys efficiency on offense as my determining factor for Gobert over Rodman

cant go wrong with either

FlashBolt
06-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Rudy is already better then Rodman ever was.

Disagree heavily. Rodman is up there as one of the best perimeter defenders, overall defenders, and the greatest rebounder in NBA history.

Gobert is 25 years old after 4 years in the NBA ... Rodman at 25 was a rookie. Gobert is ahead of Rodman to this point. Rodman was one of my favorite players in the NBA, but Gobert is one of the best players in the NBA right now, any team he's on is a top 5 defensive team.

I get the argument for Rodman, but based on their NBA careers through age 25 Gobert is WAY ahead.

But Rodman played deep into his career. It's not like the guy came into the NBA at 25 and was on his way out at 30. He was an elite rebounder/defender even in his late 30's. Can Gobert even stay healthy to muster up full seasons? Because it would take a lot for Gobert to reach Rodman's career and that's not even considering the fact that Gobert can get baited into switching on to smaller defenders in the perimeter and his impact declines. Rodman could do it all defensively. And he did it in a tougher 90's period.

jaydubb
06-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Last year's 27th pick was pretty good

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jaydubb
06-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Right now I think Rodman but I wouldn't be surprised if gobert changes minds before he retires

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Scoots
06-20-2018, 02:47 PM
Disagree heavily. Rodman is up there as one of the best perimeter defenders, overall defenders, and the greatest rebounder in NBA history.

But Rodman played deep into his career. It's not like the guy came into the NBA at 25 and was on his way out at 30. He was an elite rebounder/defender even in his late 30's. Can Gobert even stay healthy to muster up full seasons? Because it would take a lot for Gobert to reach Rodman's career and that's not even considering the fact that Gobert can get baited into switching on to smaller defenders in the perimeter and his impact declines. Rodman could do it all defensively. And he did it in a tougher 90's period.

We don't know how far Gobert can go so all I can do is project from their career to this point. Gobert's curve is better so I have to go with Gobert. I already said that if we took current players out it's Rodman no question.

dhopisthename
06-20-2018, 02:56 PM

and Rudy is the best rim protector we have today which is much more important defensively. Rudy also provides so much more offensively then rodman ever did.

FlashBolt
06-20-2018, 03:17 PM
and Rudy is the best rim protector we have today which is much more important defensively. Rudy also provides so much more offensively then rodman ever did.

Is Rudy a top five greatest defender and greatest rebounder by career's end? Nope. So I'm not buying he'll have close to the career Rodman had in championships and impact.

Bostonjorge
06-20-2018, 04:31 PM
Rodman for me. I love these type of players. Defense and hustle players. They are important to winning basketball. Rodman was never the best player on his team but always a elite role player to have. He made it tough for Jordan. Destroying Jordanís shots and picking him up full court in the playoffs. Thatís the kind of role players you need that lead to Championship Basketball.

Also Kuzma the X Factor. When heís on he can score from anywhere on the court. Heís my honorable mention.

Vee-Rex
06-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Gotta go with Rodman. Gobert's trajectory looks good and at the end of his career he COULD be better, but that's no guarantee.

The gap between their rebounding is big - and rebounds do matter.

Silent
06-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Rodman

hugepatsfan
06-20-2018, 05:21 PM
We don't know how far Gobert can go so all I can do is project from their career to this point. Gobert's curve is better so I have to go with Gobert. I already said that if we took current players out it's Rodman no question.

That's silly. You don't have to. If you want to project that he'll have a better career because he's better at a comparative age then that's perfectly reasonable. But we could spend all day looking up average, even bad players who were better at age X than HOFers at the same age. You can't just assume that trajectory is the same. There are some guys who peaked at 25. Some who just stayed right around the same.

Quinnsanity
06-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Are we certain this is true? Rodman won multiple DPOYs and was a more versatile defender. Houston couldn't expose his weaknesses as they did Gobert's. He's also a better rebounder. Gobert is better on offense, but that doesn't matter all that much to me in this case. Gimme Rodman's peak and resume, though Gobert obviously still has plenty of time to improve both.

dhopisthename
06-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Is Rudy a top five greatest defender and greatest rebounder by career's end? Nope. So I'm not buying he'll have close to the career Rodman had in championships and impact.

why can't rudy be a top 5 defender? by age 25 he probably has 1 dpoy and came 2nd the other time. for reference ben wallace didn't win one till he was 27 and mutombo was 28. Gobert's last year and this year were better in win shares then rodman ever had

Bruno
06-20-2018, 09:09 PM
Rodman now, Rudy later.

lakerfan85
06-21-2018, 12:31 AM
Rodman..