PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Time Redraft Playoffs Conference Finals (Red Ribbon Army v Team Lucky)

valade16
06-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Every year Members of PSD participate in a draft of all players all-time in an attempt to make the best team possible and win in a playoff determined by fellow members of PSD.

This years rules included being able to only start 2 players from the 00's and 1 from the 70's and earlier.

Look over the two teams and vote on which team you think would win in a 7 game series. The top team has home-court advantage for this series.

Red Ribbon Army - Homecourt Advantage

C: Hakeem Olajuwon (80-99) / Andrew Bogut (00-18)
PF: Willis Reed (60-79) / Jamaal Wilkes (60-79)
SF: Andre Igoudala (00-18) / Gordon Hayward (00-18)
SG: Manu Ginobili (00-18) / Marques Johnson (80-99)
PG: Isiah Thomas(80-99) / Danny Ainge (80-99)

v

Team Lucky

PG: Terry Porter
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Amar'e Stoudemire
C: Artis Gilmore

PG: Mike Bibby
SG: Jerry Sloan
SF: Bernard King
PF: Jermaine OíNeal
C: Brad Daugherty

Lakers + Giants
06-18-2018, 04:01 AM
Before I write a bit, I want to congratulate Lucky for getting this far.

HAKEEM VS GILMORE

First off, I have the best player in this series in Hakeem Olajuwon. He will be going up against Artis Gilmore. While I can't deny Gilmore's offensive efficiency, Hakeem is known as the better player on both ends of the court. Hakeem would be able to dominate offensively while also being able to limit Gilmore's efficiency due to Hakeem's speed, agility, strength, and athletic ability. He would do be able to guard Gilmore way better than Gilmore would be able to guard Hakeem.

REED VS AMARE

As for the power forward matchup, I feel confident in saying Amare has absolutely no chance in being able to guard Reed. Reed becomes a 2nd/3rd option because Manu falls to 4th because he's being guarded by Pippen, so Manu does see less shots this series. While Reed's role on offense is increased since Amare is "guarding" him. How is amare supposed to guard a player that averaged 24 points on 50% FG shooting in the playoffs during his prime? Surely his numbers and efficiency would improve while being guarded by a poor defender. This is after Amare has admitted to never knowing how to play defense because nobody taught him how..."I've never been taught defense in my whole career." - Amare @ 30 years old, 11 NBA seasons into his career. LINK: https://sports.yahoo.com/amar-e-stoudemire-claims-nobody-ever-taught-him-214916043--nba.html?y20=1

PIPPEN VS MANU

As for the small forward matchup. I have no problem having Scottie Pippen guard Manu this series because realistically he's my 4th option in this series. While I'm not denying Pippen's defensive capabilities, I think his value diminishes when he's guarding my 4th option.... (Iggy is my 5th, doubt he uses Pippen on Iggy). While Pippen is a monster defensively, he doesn't affect how my best player, Hakeem Olajuwon, operates offensively. So facing pippen in this series is not as big advantage as Lucky has had in other matchups.

SLOWING DOWN KOBE: WITH EVIDENCE

As for my small forward, Andre Iguodala will be guarding Kobe. And he did a damn good job doing it:

I'll post the stats here for those who don't want to click the link: https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=4moOl

In 22 career matchups: Kobe vs Iggy

*** Bolded shows who's better ****

Andre Igoudala: 13 W 9 L , 46.9 FG%, 33.9 3P%, 3.7 FTA, 5.8 RPG, 4.9 APG, 1.5 STL, 0.5 BLK, 2.0 TOV, 1.6 PF, 14.4 PPG, PPS 1.25

Kobe Bryant: 9 W 13 L, 43.5 FG%, 34.7 3P%, 5.1 FTA, 5.7 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.4 STL, 0.3 BLK, 3.7 TOV, 2.7 PF, 24.4 PPG, PPS 1.17

Let's dive into the numbers. Iggy shot a higher FG% than kobe. Iggy was able to shoot at or above his peak FG% while being able to limit kobe to shooting below his peak FG%. Also, Iggy was able to defend kobe WITHOUT fouling, as evident by Iggy's 1.6 PF average in 22 career matchups vs kobe. On average, Kobe wasn't even able to draw two fouls from Iggy, showing just how capable Iggy was of guarding Kobe. In fact, Iggy actually drew MORE fouls than kobe in those H2H matchups. Another clear indicator of this is Kobe's FTA, at 5.1 that's HALF of what kobe shot in his prime, HALF!! This shows Iggy was more than capable of guarding without getting in foul trouble. Additionally, kobe was averaging nearly 4 TOs per game when being guarded by Iggy. Granted, he did handle the ball more than Iggy, yet iggy was also averaging MORE assists per game in those 22 matchups. Overall, Iggy is able to limit Kobe and still have a significant role offensively. He was more efficient in 22 H2H matchups and he'd do this while being the 5th option on my team.

ISIAH THOMAS VS TERRY PORTER

https://image.ibb.co/fz2nFJ/IT_vs_Porter.png

IT proved he was able to dominate Porter when facing him in a series. Series are all about adjustments, and IT made all the adjustments necessary to DOMINATE Terry Porter.

IT's stats vs Porter in the 1990 NBA finals: for those that don't see the picture

62.9 TS%, 54.2 FG%, 68.8 3P% on over 3 attempts per game, 5.2 RPG, 7 APG, 27.6 PPG,

while Terry Porter shot 39.3 FG%, 28 3P%, 2.6 RPG, 8.4 APG, 19 PPG

Isiah Thomas flat out dominated and took Porter's soul in that series, while going on to win Finals MVP.

KnicksorBust
06-18-2018, 01:06 PM
Before I write a bit, I want to congratulate Lucky for getting this far.

HAKEEM VS GILMORE

First off, I have the best player in this series in Hakeem Olajuwon. He will be going up against Artis Gilmore. While I can't deny Gilmore's offensive efficiency, Hakeem is the known as the better player on both ends of the court. Hakeem would be able to dominate offensively while also being able to limit Gilmore's efficiency due to Hakeem's speed, agility, strength, and athletic ability. He would do be able to guard Gilmore way better than Gilmore would be able to guard Hakeem.

REED VS AMARE

As for the power forward matchup, I feel confident in saying Amare has absolutely no chance in being able to guard Reed. Reed becomes a 2nd/3rd option because Manu falls to 4th because he's being guarded by Pippen, so Manu does see less shots this series. While Reed's role on offense is increased since Amare is "guarding" him. How is amare supposed to guard a player that averaged 24 points on 50% FG shooting in the playoffs during his prime? Surely his numbers would and efficiency would improve while being guarded by a poor defender. This is after Amare has admitted to never knowing how to play defense because nobody taught him how..."I've never been taught defense in my whole career." - Amare @ 30 years old, 11 NBA seasons into his career. LINK: https://sports.yahoo.com/amar-e-stoudemire-claims-nobody-ever-taught-him-214916043--nba.html?y20=1

PIPPEN VS MANU

As for the small forward matchup. I have no problem having Scottie Pippen guard Manu this series because realistically he's my 4th option in this series. While I'm not denying Pippen's defensive capabilities, I think his value diminishes when he's guarding my 4th option.... (Iggy is my 5th, doubt he uses Pippen on Iggy). While Pippen is a monster defensively, he doesn't affect how my best player, Hakeem Olajuwon, operates offensively. So facing pippen in this series is not as big advantage as Lucky has had in other matchups.

SLOWING DOWN KOBE: WITH EVIDENCE

As for my small forward, Andre Iguodala will be guarding Kobe. And he did a damn good job doing it:

I'll post the stats here for those who don't want to click the link: https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=4moOl

In 22 career matchups: Kobe vs Iggy

*** Bolded shows who's better ****

Andre Igoudala: 13 W 9 L , 46.9 FG%, 33.9 3P%, 3.7 FTA, 5.8 RPG, 4.9 APG, 1.5 STL, 0.5 BLK, 2.0 TOV, 1.6 PF, 14.4 PPG, PPS 1.25

Kobe Bryant: 9 W 13 L, 43.5 FG%, 34.7 3P%, 5.1 FTA, 5.7 RPG, 4.6 APG, 1.4 STL, 0.3 BLK, 3.7 TOV, 2.7 PF, 24.4 PPG, PPS 1.17

Let's dive into the numbers. Iggy shot a higher FG% than kobe. Iggy was able to shoot at or above his peak FG% while being able to limit kobe to shooting below his peak FG%. Also, Iggy was able to defend kobe WITHOUT fouling, as evident by Iggy's 1.6 PF average in 22 career matchups vs kobe. On average, Kobe wasn't even able to draw two fouls from Iggy, showing just how capable Iggy was of guarding Kobe. In fact, Iggy actually drew MORE fouls than kobe in those H2H matchups. Another clear indicator of this is Kobe's FTA, at 5.1 that's HALF of what kobe shot in his prime, HALF!! This shows Iggy was more than capable of guarding without getting in foul trouble. Additionally, kobe was averaging nearly 4 TOs per game when being guarded by Iggy. Granted, he did handle the ball more than Iggy, yet iggy was also averaging MORE assists per game in those 22 matchups. Overall, Iggy is able to limit Kobe and still have a significant role offensively. He was more efficient in 22 H2H matchups and he'd do this while being the 5th option on my team.

ISIAH THOMAS VS TERRY PORTER

https://image.ibb.co/fz2nFJ/IT_vs_Porter.png

IT proved he was able to dominate Porter when facing him in a series. Series are all about adjustments, and IT made all the adjustments necessary to DOMINATE Terry Porter.

IT's stats vs Porter in the 1990 NBA finals: for those that don't see the picture

62.9 TS%, 54.2 FG%, 68.8 3P% on over 3 attempts per game, 5.2 RPG, 7 APG, 27.6 PPG,

while Terry Porter shot 39.3 FG%, 28 3P%, 2.6 RPG, 8.4 APG, 19 PPG

Isiah Thomas flat out dominated and took Porter's soul in that series, while going on to win Finals MVP.

Old school writeup style. I enjoyed it and agree with basically everything in here. My vote is going to Red Ribbon Army.

Lucky.
06-19-2018, 10:28 PM
I was going to say why does the other thread have so many more votes than this one but we actually have more here haha. Thatís too bad. Miss the old days of 60 or so votes.

valade16
06-20-2018, 12:57 PM
Red Ribbon Army wins.

Lucky.
06-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Congrats LG. You were the one team I didnít want to play against. Felt confident against the rest of the teams. Enjoy that ship.

Lakers + Giants
06-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Congrats LG. You were the one team I didnít want to play against. Felt confident against the rest of the teams. Enjoy that ship.

the feeling is mutual. I underrated the hell out of your team and now I'm glad you weren't able to make a trade cuz you would've beaten me. I would've been more than OK losing to you tho.

Respect homie. :cheers:

Bruno
06-20-2018, 09:07 PM
I'd lean Lucky.

Lucky.
06-20-2018, 09:42 PM
the feeling is mutual. I underrated the hell out of your team and now I'm glad you weren't able to make a trade cuz you would've beaten me. I would've been more than OK losing to you tho.

Respect homie. :cheers:

I really wanted Ben Wallace to be my Dennis Rodman. Wonder how much better/worse Iíd have been perceived with Porter-Kobe-Pippen-Wallace-Gilmore.

Lakers + Giants
06-20-2018, 10:23 PM
I really wanted Ben Wallace to be my Dennis Rodman. Wonder how much better/worse Iíd have been perceived with Porter-Kobe-Pippen-Wallace-Gilmore.

Honestly, the thought of that is scary.... Did you have Wallace instead of Amare at any point in this game?!? If so, wooowww.

KnicksorBust
06-21-2018, 06:30 AM
null

I like the team with STAT more. You needed his offense.

still1ballin
06-22-2018, 10:06 PM
Red ribbon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk