PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Time Redraft Playoffs Conference Finals (Seaside Seagulls v Team Rosh)

valade16
06-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Every year Members of PSD participate in a draft of all players all-time in an attempt to make the best team possible and win in a playoff determined by fellow members of PSD.

This years rules included being able to only start 2 players from the 00's and 1 from the 70's and earlier.

Look over the two teams and vote on which team you think would win in a 7 game series. The top team has home-court advantage for this series.

Seaside Seagulls - Homecourt Advantage

PG: Steph Curry 38 | Norm Van Lier 10
SG: Clyde Drexler 38 | Steve Smith 10
SF: Billy Cunningham 24 | Mark Aguirre 24
PF: Karl Malone 38 | Billy Cunningham 6 | Antawn Jamison 4
C: Tyson Chandler 36 | LaMarcus Aldridge 12

v

C: Shaquille O'Neal (34) | Wes Unseld (10) | Mychal Thompson (4)
PF: Wes Unseld (20) | Robert Horry (28)
SF: Grant Hill (34) | Stephen Jackson (14) | Cedric Maxwell
SG: Sidney Moncrief (33) | Kyrie irving (13)
PG: Kyrie Irving (20) | Deron Williams (28)

Lucky.
06-17-2018, 02:17 PM
Not sure who to vote for yet but I actually feel like Rosh matches up well here.

Shammyguy3
06-17-2018, 02:39 PM
Not a huge fan of Rosh's team but i agree with Lucky

valade16
06-17-2018, 03:43 PM
I plan to have Clyde Drexler guard Kyrie Irving, but the real key to this series will be the Curry/Malone pick and roll. He has absolutely no one that can switch on the pick and roll who can guard Malone. So now Squid has to go over every screen (because he ain't going under them) and he can't ever switch. If he does he's left with Unseld or Shaq in space against Curry or Malone, neither are good propositions. Not to mention Mark Aguirre will be on the court for all but 10 of Grant Hill's minutes.

His team has no offensive identity. It's Shaq surrounded by a bunch of players that can't shoot (and the one that can has a propensity to overshoot).

Rivera
06-17-2018, 06:37 PM
ill admit, this is the first time i am favoring the seagulls in a matchup (liked that RR and dhop team more), but that probably means the kiss of death. every team i like has lost lol

KnicksorBust
06-18-2018, 01:13 PM
Torn. Curious how rosh plans to handle malone and drexler.

Redrum187
06-18-2018, 02:50 PM
Leaning towards the team who cared enough to criticize the other team.

roshan3ai
06-19-2018, 12:35 AM
Moncrief will guard Steph while Hill takes Drexler and Irving guards Cunningham. That's not a matchup worth exploiting for Seaside considering Cunningham is his least efficient scorer.

Hill was a very strong defender in his prime and will make life tough for Clyde. And I can't imagine a better defender to put on steph than Moncrief. Jordan said this about Moncrief:

"When you play against Moncrief, you're in for a night of all-around basketball. He'll hound you everywhere you go, both ends of the court. You just expect it."

We've seen the best way to bother Curry and get him off his rhythm is to bump him around and badger him off the ball and off picks. Guys like Moncrief can force Steph into some very off shooting nights and he won't have the talent disparity he does with the current warriors to overcome those nights.

On the other hand, he has nobody to hide Steph on and his weak wing defense will be exploited. All of my wings are 20+ PPG scorers who averaged 4.5+ assists per game in their three yr primes. No matter who Steph is switched onto, my wings can make plays at an efficient level.

And I haven't even gotten to Shaq vs Chandler. Chandler is just physically overmatched. His best asset is his help defense. Man to man, he has no shot of limiting Shaq and will be in constant foul trouble. And when Tyson is out, LaMarcus Aldridge is supposed to stop him down low? This is easily the biggest mismatch of the series.

I concede the Unseld vs Malone argument of course, but Unseld and Horry were both very good team defenders who have the frame and toughness to make Malone work for everything on offense and on the boards.

I also don't understand the no spacing argument because Moncrief was a 20 PPG scorer on great efficiency (60% TS%) and had a phenomenal midrange game. That's like calling someone like Rip Hamilton a horrible shooter in his prime. Grant Hill had a jumper as well. They just played in an era where threes were less prevalent. Is your plan to help off those two guys to double and triple Shaq down low?

Kyries role is the third option who can score in iso situations late in the shot clock and in games but can also come off Unseld off ball screens and drain open shots while Hill and Shaq run a two man game. He provides spacing and playmaking and has show he can be an elite secondary playmaker on a championship team.

valade16
06-19-2018, 09:15 AM
I'm glad that Rosh has decided to put Grant Hill on Clyde, it is absurdly generous to say he was a very good defender in his prime, he wasn't a good defender until his later role player years. He was a pretty trash defender actually, and Clyde will feast vs him. In fact, even old Clyde averaged 20.6 PPG on 49.5% shooting vs Hill (compared to 16.3 PPG for Hill) and even at 35 years old was dropping 29 points on 10/14 shooting on Hill. That is a clearly mismatch in my favor.

As for Cunningham on Irving, heck yes I'm going to exploit that matchup. First, Cunningham is way bigger than Irving and he was an ABA MVP, he was a very talented scorer. He was inefficient because he went up against great defenders his size every night. Grant Hill was an inefficient scorer too, if you put Irving on him he'd get efficient real quick. Same is true here. Cunningham could drop 26 PPG, and now he's got a bad defender who is giving up half a foot on him. Not to mention I now have a massive advantage on the boards.

I'm not sure that Hill was a great midrange shooter in his prime (in fact, in NBA Open Court Grant Hill even conceded that defenders backed up off him due to his lack of shooting ability), but even if he was, I'd much rather Squid and Hill take long 2's compared to Shaq scoring. As for LMA, he will never see Shaq because Tyson will be in the game guarding Shaq anytime he's in.

Rosh has a talented team, but it's one of many individual players. My team is equally as talented and actually fits a system.

KnicksorBust
06-19-2018, 08:01 PM
I hate the idea of a PG guarding an opposing SF the whole game.

valade16
06-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Seaside Seagulls win.