PDA

View Full Version : How does this Warriors dynasty compare to the Lakers dynasty of the early 2000's?

BSF101
06-09-2018, 12:05 AM
First off I'm a Celtics and Spurs fan so I wasn't rooting for anyone in this series, but
how different or how similar are they to the early 2000's Lakers teams? Or would you put them
where the 90's Bulls where?

More-Than-Most
06-09-2018, 12:28 AM
Kobe/Shaq never let one player force them to go beg for another top 2 player in the sport during their dynasty. That is a big deal.... The warriors are the better team but the lakers dynasty is more impactful with not blowing a 3-1 lead with 2 games at home.

Eg714
06-09-2018, 12:31 AM
Kobe and Shaq were the best played but golden state has more stars. No ones stoping Shaw but at the same time the lakers might struggle with the warriors range.

lakerfan85
06-09-2018, 01:02 AM
Kobe and Shaq were the best played but golden state has more stars. No ones stoping Shaw but at the same time the lakers might struggle with the warriors range.

Hell yeah!! B Shaw was the man!!

mngopher35
06-09-2018, 01:13 AM
Ya Warriors have much more overall talent but nothing near peak Shaq level. That Lakers team was built on one of the best peak players ever and an up and coming top 10 player surrounded by role players. This Warriors team just overwhelms you with talent everywhere leaving Iggy wide open often as that 5th man as probably best option. Individually it is much harder to stop Shaq but with the way they can space etc. the Warriors become that good as a whole.

Quinnsanity
06-09-2018, 01:19 AM
Kobe/Shaq never let one player force them to go beg for another top 2 player in the sport during their dynasty. That is a big deal.... The warriors are the better team but the lakers dynasty is more impactful with not blowing a 3-1 lead with 2 games at home.

This. I don't even consider this team a dynasty yet. The only reason they're at three championships right now is because they lost, which enabled them to get KD. I view the pre-KD Warriors and post-KD Warriors as different teams in that way. The dynasty clock reset when he went there. LeBron beat them, so they had to fundamentally alter the alchemy of their team. That never happened to Kobe and Shaq. They won three straight with the same crap on their roster.

bootsy
06-09-2018, 01:21 AM
Lakers didn't benefit from some other teams star player getting hurt (Kyrie 15, Kawhi 17, Paul 18). Their titles also weren't manufactured and bought.

numba1CHANGsta
06-09-2018, 04:15 AM
Well first off

1st championship both Lakers/Warriors win in 6 games
2nd championship both teams win in 5
3rd championship both teams win in 4

Lakers won game 6&7 in the WCF when going for their third championship-same as the Warriors

Both teams took a pretty eerie similar path to win their championships but the one deciding factor is this..Lakers won 3 in 3 years, Warriors won 3 in 4 years, so Lakers are the better team and no team will EVER 3peat again

MygirlhatesCod
06-09-2018, 06:14 AM
Well first off

Lakers won game 6&7 in the WCF when going for their third championship-same as the Warriors

Both teams took a pretty eerie similar path to win their championships but the one deciding factor is this..Lakers won 3 in 3 years, Warriors won 3 in 4 years, so Lakers are the better team and no team will EVER 3peat again

its weird how everyone forgets that Lakers sac series that the refs gifted.

nastynice
06-09-2018, 06:25 AM
Warriors are right on their heels. Lakers pulled off a 3peat, so the Dubs need to do that in order to be in that convo.

The black mark on the Lakers is the pistons series, they didn't just lose they got flat out embarrassed. Gotta give the Dubs more than 2 years to compare to an all time great dynasty like those Lakers tho

L8kers4life
06-09-2018, 07:09 AM
Warriors are right on their heels. Lakers pulled off a 3peat, so the Dubs need to do that in order to be in that convo.

The black mark on the Lakers is the pistons series, they didn't just lose they got flat out embarrassed. Gotta give the Dubs more than 2 years to compare to an all time great dynasty like those Lakers tho

That's 2 years after they 3 peated, they got swept by San Antonio the year after the 3peat, same year Chick Hearn died, than the year after Kobe was battling the rape case and they got killed by the pistons. No black mark, we all knew the curse of Karl Malone was legit. Lol

nastynice
06-09-2018, 08:04 AM
That's 2 years after they 3 peated, they got swept by San Antonio the year after the 3peat, same year Chick Hearn died, than the year after Kobe was battling the rape case and they got killed by the pistons. No black mark, we all knew the curse of Karl Malone was legit. Lol

Yea I know they lost the year before, didn't realize they were swept tho. But cmon, 04 they were supposed to smack Detroit, I remember Detroit and indy were both good but no one thought compare to Lakers or spurs. That's was def some left field ****

Wasn't the rape case post post-shaq?

D-Leethal
06-09-2018, 08:33 AM
Yea I know they lost the year before, didn't realize they were swept tho. But cmon, 04 they were supposed to smack Detroit, I remember Detroit and indy were both good but no one thought compare to Lakers or spurs. That's was def some left field ****

The Pistons turned out to be much better than anyone thought though. They took the Spurs to 7 the following year and were a Robbert Horry buzzer beater away from B2B titles.

D-Leethal
06-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Warriors are more stacked with talent, Lakers were more dominant.

KobeOwnSU
06-09-2018, 10:30 AM
The Warriors are better then the Lakers were but I'm not sure they would beat them. Shaq was just dominant and Kobe was in his prime. Plus, I'm more impressed with the teams the Lakers went through; Sacramento and Portland we're both legit title contenders. Not to mention, the first round was best of 5 which lead to more upsets and the Lakers were able to survive that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

numba1CHANGsta
06-09-2018, 10:44 AM
its weird how everyone forgets that Lakers sac series that the refs gifted.

Like the refs never gifted the Warriors anything 😂 gtfo

BSF101
06-09-2018, 10:46 AM
Well first off

I wouldn't say never I mean its a possibilty but a small one.

numba1CHANGsta
06-09-2018, 10:53 AM

I'm willing to bet the Warriors wont win it next year, i believe team chemistry and injuries will play a factor and another superteam will take them down

TrueFan420
06-09-2018, 11:16 AM
I'm willing to bet the Warriors wont win it next year, i believe team chemistry and injuries will play a factor and another superteam will take them down
That's certainly possibility but it's also a possibility the warrriors do 3 peat. You should try and stay away from absolutes.

smith&wesson
06-09-2018, 12:08 PM
I think Shaq would take a big dump on the warriors averaging like 40 pts 15 rebounds and 4 blocks per game in a 7 game series ... . it would actually be funny to see McGee and Zaza trying to guard him.

blams
06-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Warriors are better.

Imagine the 90s bulls beating shaq, then he leaves and joins them

That's the warriors with kd

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jason
06-09-2018, 12:48 PM
Lakers for now. Warriors if they win next year

L8kers4life
06-09-2018, 12:51 PM

No the rape case was Shaqs final year and the year they lost to the pistons. Pistons destroyed the Lakers it was embarrassing. A healthy Karl Malone wouldn't have changed anything.

numba1CHANGsta
06-09-2018, 02:05 PM
As a Laker fan, im leaning towards GSW for this reason and this reason only, if the game is close they're gonna hack-a-Shaq like they did to Capella. But Shaq will have like 45-20-10blks a game against that team. But they would probably force Shaq out of the paint a lot of times. Not even the Jordan Bulls could keep up offensively. KD going to GS was a game changer, thats like if Tim Duncan left the Spurs to play with Kobe and Shaq

Jeffy25
06-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Well first off

So if the Warriors win again next year....?

TylerSL
06-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Those Lakers were better. The way each team has dominated their eras are similar, but the Warriors wouldn't have an answer for Shaq. Even with Durant, the Warriors don't have anyone near as dominant as a prime Shaquille O'Neal. In a head-to-head series, JaVale McGee, ZaZa Pachulia, Draymond Green, and Jordan Bell would all get absolutely embarrassed trying to guard Shaq. 2002 Shaq would have averaged something like 40/15/4 (pts/rebs/blks) against these Warriors. The Warriors would have had to impose hack-a-shaq and everyone would be in foul trouble late. Even under today's rules, I don't believe the Warriors would beat that team. Gotta go with Lakers.

The only thing the Warriors will end up having over those Lakers is longevity. The Shaq/Kobe duo broke up after the 03-04 season, meaning the Lakers only had 5 seasons (1999-2004) where they were truly dominant. The Warriors have been around since the 2014-15 season, four seasons already, and they will be around for another three or four years presumably. So, barring unforeseen events, the Warriors will be elite for longer than the Lakers, and so they could ultimately be more successful. For now though, give me peek Shaq/Kobe over these Warriors. Ask me again in three years.

valade16
06-09-2018, 02:56 PM

There is like a 99% chance another team repeats, and that team is the Warriors next year.

numba1CHANGsta
06-09-2018, 04:25 PM
So if the Warriors win again next year....?

Then may God help us all

TrueFan420
06-09-2018, 06:34 PM
I see a lot of people talking about Shaq dominating and I don't doubt that he would but how do the lakers handle when the warriors go small. Yea shaq could out power Green but when we space out on the other end he can't just camp out in the post. Can you imagine him trying to defend the pick and roll all game.

KobeOwnSU
06-09-2018, 07:07 PM
I see a lot of people talking about Shaq dominating and I don't doubt that he would but how do the lakers handle when the warriors go small. Yea shaq could out power Green but when we space out on the other end he can't just camp out in the post. Can you imagine him trying to defend the pick and roll all game.They do a good job on the defensive boards and slow down the pace.

basch152
06-09-2018, 10:42 PM
They do a good job on the defensive boards and slow down the pace.

yeah you can say that all you want, but its a lot harder to actually do.

a small ball lineup would be just as hard for the lakers to guard as shaq would be for the warriors.

also, lol at the guy saying kobe and shaq never went begging for more stars.

guess i just imagined gary payton and karl malone joining them then.

and people want to say their 3 peat is more impressive, but it really isn't. looking at 4 years for the lakers has them losing in the 2nd round. kinda a bigger black mark than losing a 7 game series against one of the best players ever.

then the following year they got absolutely embarrassed by the pistons. a team of nobodies at the time.

if GS wins next year their 5 year stretch absolutely ***** on the lakers.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-09-2018, 11:54 PM
It's better.

KingstonHawke
06-10-2018, 12:13 AM
This Warriors team is significantly better than the Lakers and Bulls dynasties. I'm talking they would beat them every time, and it would probably be ugly when they did so.

At least the Lakers would have a very favorable matchup at center. But it wouldn't be enough. Kobe and Jordan would have their hands full being guarded by Thompson and Iguadala on one side of the ball, and then having to chase around Curry, Thompson, or Durant on the other side. I am a HUGE Kobe fan, but I saw Phil hide him on defense behind Fox the same way he hid Jordan behind Pippen to preserve their energy to carry the scoring load. Can't get away with that against this team. They are too balanced offensively.

People forget that this team was one of the greatest teams of all time BEFORE they swapped out Barnes for one of the greatest players of all time, IN HIS PRIME.

That the Rockets looked so good againt them isn't a knock against them, it's a testament to how much better the league is today than it was in the 90s. Imagine the 98 Jazz taking on this team. They'd be obliterated! Imagine the 04 Pistons taking on this team. They'd be utterly embarrassed.

We get so caught up in dominance that we forget that the entire level of play has increased. As much as I love the old school style of big man I realize that Ewing would've had his hands full with Porzingis.

Jeffy25
06-10-2018, 01:50 AM
This Warriors team is significantly better than the Lakers and Bulls dynasties. I'm talking they would beat them every time, and it would probably be ugly when they did so.

At least the Lakers would have a very favorable matchup at center. But it wouldn't be enough. Kobe and Jordan would have their hands full being guarded by Thompson and Iguadala on one side of the ball, and then having to chase around Curry, Thompson, or Durant on the other side. I am a HUGE Kobe fan, but I saw Phil hide him on defense behind Fox the same way he hid Jordan behind Pippen to preserve their energy to carry the scoring load. Can't get away with that against this team. They are too balanced offensively.

People forget that this team was one of the greatest teams of all time BEFORE they swapped out Barnes for one of the greatest players of all time, IN HIS PRIME.

That the Rockets looked so good againt them isn't a knock against them, it's a testament to how much better the league is today than it was in the 90s. Imagine the 98 Jazz taking on this team. They'd be obliterated! Imagine the 04 Pistons taking on this team. They'd be utterly embarrassed.

We get so caught up in dominance that we forget that the entire level of play has increased. As much as I love the old school style of big man I realize that Ewing would've had his hands full with Porzingis.

Don't say those types of things on here, you'll be criticized as a new fan who doesn't know what he's talking about and didn't watch the game then lol.

I'm kidding, that stuff obviously happened. But when I said, I was ridiculed lol

goingfor28
06-10-2018, 09:35 AM
its weird how everyone forgets that Lakers sac series that the refs gifted.That series was the biggest bunch of BS ever. I watched a YouTube video of it again recently. Absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

LA_Raiders
06-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Warriors are a hell of a team, but they don’t match the Lakers, Kobe and Shaq we’re unstoppable. Different times, back then it was more physical, in today’s game both Kobe and Shaq would be in the free throw line all game. Anyhow; Win 3 in a row and then we talk.

Jamiecballer
06-10-2018, 06:58 PM
I'll take the Lakers. 2 all-time greats are better than one.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Heediot
06-10-2018, 07:07 PM
I'll take the Lakers. 2 all-time greats are better than none.

fixed

Jamiecballer
06-10-2018, 09:06 PM
fixedDurant is an all-time great fool

LakerShow
06-10-2018, 09:43 PM
I think they match up and change the tempo. That's how good Shaq was. No to mention Phil and his triangle offense and wisdom is great. Better coach too. Here's a video where Shaq and Kobe talk about today's game and past laker teams. 16min mark.

https://youtu.be/FfF_yUtoPYY

Heediot
06-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Durant is an all-time great fool

Meh. It depends how high you rank KD and Curry. Both guys will end up close to each other when all is said and done. Curry's game ages better IMO. I don't think either are at legendary status which to me is my definition of all time great. But if your going to put KD as an all time great, you have to squeeze in Curry. Both guys impact the game in their own ways. Durant needs to prove that he can be the main guy on his own team championship team (and not hop on the train), Curry already has, so I lean toward Curry being the guy I rather build around.

Jamiecballer
06-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Meh. It depends how high you rank KD and Curry. Both guys will end up close to each other when all is said and done. Curry's game ages better IMO. I don't think either are at legendary status which to me is my definition of all time great. But if your going to put KD as an all time great, you have to squeeze in Curry. Both guys impact the game in their own ways. Durant needs to prove that he can be the main guy on his own team championship team (and not hop on the train), Curry already has, so I lean toward Curry being the guy I rather build around.I think besides rubbing people the wrong way with his decision Kevin Durant is a slam dunk top 20 player all-time when he is done, barring injury. that is what I am basing it on.

COOLbeans
06-10-2018, 10:58 PM
Warriors are a hell of a team, but they don’t match the Lakers, Kobe and Shaq we’re unstoppable. Different times, back then it was more physical, in today’s game both Kobe and Shaq would be in the free throw line all game. Anyhow; Win 3 in a row and then we talk.

This right here. No one on the Warriors is on Shaqs level and Curry’s and Durant haven’t surpassed Kobe yet either.

They need 2 more championships and 1 more minimum to be in the conversation of 90s Bulls 2000s Lakers etc

COOLbeans
06-10-2018, 11:01 PM
I can’t name 20 guys better than Steph or Durant

KingstonHawke
06-10-2018, 11:27 PM
Meh. It depends how high you rank KD and Curry. Both guys will end up close to each other when all is said and done. Curry's game ages better IMO. I don't think either are at legendary status which to me is my definition of all time great. But if your going to put KD as an all time great, you have to squeeze in Curry. Both guys impact the game in their own ways. Durant needs to prove that he can be the main guy on his own team championship team (and not hop on the train), Curry already has, so I lean toward Curry being the guy I rather build around.

Y'all make up such stupid rules to try and denounce these guys. Larry Bird is a legend. Curry already has as many rings, and one less MVP, and he isn't out of his prime. Durant already has as many finals MVPs, one less ring, two less MVPs, and 4 more scoring titles.

And you can't use the loaded team defense because Bird was on his own superteam in a league with a lot less quality. Durant and Curry are easily top 5 players all time at their positions. Two more years of doing what they've been doing and that's only going to increase.

Heediot
06-11-2018, 06:05 AM
Y'all make up such stupid rules to try and denounce these guys. Larry Bird is a legend. Curry already has as many rings, and one less MVP, and he isn't out of his prime. Durant already has as many finals MVPs, one less ring, two less MVPs, and 4 more scoring titles.

And you can't use the loaded team defense because Bird was on his own superteam in a league with a lot less quality. Durant and Curry are easily top 5 players all time at their positions. Two more years of doing what they've been doing and that's only going to increase.

To each their own. If you guys consider top 20-25, an all-time great I respect that. To me an all time great is top ten or fringe/borderline top ten all time player, it's all good. It just comes down to how you define the term.

It's like how people define superstar. Some consider top 8-15 guys superstars, some even go further then that. To me superstar is a rare label (LeBron, Curry, KD, Kawhi) are the only guys that I consider superstars. I don't consider Russ, AD, Harden, or Giannis superstars. I like how Cuban defined it, but f you want to lump more guys like the one I mentioned into that category I can respect that. Harden is real close in my definition, just needs to prove more later (rounds) in the playoffs.

As for Bird Vs. KD. KD is the better pure scorer bird has the better IQ, Feel, and IMO the better natural, more cerebral and instinctive basketball. More gutsy and plays with far more grit as well. It's the other and small things that separate Bird from KD from my personal opinion. Also think Curry is better than KD offensively due to the small things and the way he sees the floor and dictates a game. KD is better defensively though. I am still taking Curry over KD if I am building a team, just my personal take.

tredigs
06-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Ultimately they both won 3 in 4 years, and dynasty teams are measured by rings. They are three better team and the team efficiency ratings on both ends + win differential bore that out, but they have to keep the train going to clearly pass them. As is, no reason to think they won't. I think they have also passed Bird's Celtics and are approaching the Showtime Lakers. All that's left after that (modern era) are Jordan's Bulls. I don't discount the Spurs either, although they are a tough one to gauge based on a lack of complete league dominance for a smaller period, but a sustained semi-dominance for over a decade.

WestCoastSportz
06-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Its hard to compare the two because even in the span of 15 years, the game has completely changed. This Warriors team would have no answer at all for Shaq or Kobe in their prime. Not many teams did.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-12-2018, 01:57 PM
The Warriors would destroy them.

Shaq would be a dominant force and the Warriors would have to give more minutes to their true bigs, but Shaq would also have problems keeping up with the Warriors attack and all the switches they like to do. Shaq would be forced to guard those perimeter guys far too often and it would be a huge problem for him. The game has evolved and I don't think a beast like Shaq would be able to survive on the defensive end. Yes he'd dominate offensively, but he'd just get double teamed and hacked repeatedly, kinda like how he was guarded back in his prime. I love when people act like nobody in the NBA could guard Shaq today while ignoring the fact that nobody could guard him back then either. That's why they doubled him, hacked him relentlessly and tried to flop/draw offensive fouls. The biggest difference for Shaq wouldn't be offensively, it would be defensively with all the switches and perimeter defense he'd be forced to play. Or you choose not to switch and you run into a whole lot of other problems against a team like Golden State.

They wouldn't be able to defend Golden State at all.

Chronz
06-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Dubs, they'll choke but they'll win in 7 via nothing but talent. SNOOZE

Chronz
06-12-2018, 07:17 PM
The Warriors would destroy them.

Shaq would be a dominant force and the Warriors would have to give more minutes to their true bigs, but Shaq would also have problems keeping up with the Warriors attack and all the switches they like to do. Shaq would be forced to guard those perimeter guys far too often and it would be a huge problem for him. The game has evolved and I don't think a beast like Shaq would be able to survive on the defensive end. Yes he'd dominate offensively, but he'd just get double teamed and hacked repeatedly, kinda like how he was guarded back in his prime. I love when people act like nobody in the NBA could guard Shaq today while ignoring the fact that nobody could guard him back then either. That's why they doubled him, hacked him relentlessly and tried to flop/draw offensive fouls. The biggest difference for Shaq wouldn't be offensively, it would be defensively with all the switches and perimeter defense he'd be forced to play. Or you choose not to switch and you run into a whole lot of other problems against a team like Golden State.

They wouldn't be able to defend Golden State at all.

Except you couldn't bother shaq with doubles from twigs and he bulked up for his era like many other great bigs. It wouldn't be true today. Go backwards, which team wins in 2001?