PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Time Redraft Playoffs Play In (Cool Kids vs. Lying Pirate J)

valade16
05-29-2018, 08:40 PM
Every year Members of PSD participate in a draft of all players all-time in an attempt to make the best team possible and win in a playoff determined by fellow members of PSD.

This years rules included being able to only start 2 players from the 00's and 1 from the 70's and earlier.

Look over the two teams and vote on which team you think would win in a 7 game series. The top team has home-court advantage for this series.

Cool Kids - Home Team

PG: Tim Hardaway / Bob Cousy
SG: Brandon Roy / Michael Finley
SF: Kevin Durant / Raja Bell
PF: Kevin McHale / Kiki Vandeweghe
C: Nate Thurmond / Yao Ming

vs.

Lying Pirate J

PG: Kevin Johnson
SG: Elgin Baylor
SF: Jimmy Butler
PF: Walt Bellamy
C: Bill Laimbeer

bench:

PG: Ron Harper
SG: Richard Hamilton
SF: Bob Dandridge
PF: Charles Oakley
C: DeMarcus Cousins

tredigs
05-29-2018, 08:48 PM
Any write up? Would have to be a pretty damn good one by the Elgin Baylor team to make me think they would not get beat with relative ease (5-6 game series). Shooting/playmaking chasm is just far too much.

mngopher35
05-29-2018, 11:56 PM
Ya I think Cool Kids would take this one

Vee-Rex
05-30-2018, 12:06 PM
This matchup is a lot closer than some of you may think.

While the Cool Kids have better talent, how much GRIT do they have? Sometimes the better talent doesn't always win, it's the team that plays better as a team and with more intensity.

Look at the bigs for both teams.

At center is Nate Thurmond and Yao Ming vs. Bill Laimbeer and DeMarcus Cousins.

Thurmond was NOT efficient at all at any point in his career. In his prime he shot nearly 20FGA per game, so he would definitely look to get his points. 20 points on 19FGA per game is basically his peak. His offense is pathetically overrated.

He has Laimbeer on him NON-STOP playing physical, abusive defense. That means Thurmond is likely inefficient, and when Laimbeer fouls the **** out of him, Thurmond shoots poorly at the free throw line because he's not a good free throw shooter. Thurmond becomes a non-option for offense in this game.

Yao Ming, while having the height advantage, would not be able to keep up with Cousins's speed. Cousins would also bully/overpower him. Cousins can spread the floor and pass the ball, I think he would win the matchup. Yao would simply be too slow-footed.

Kevin McHale was tough and physical, and offensively gifted. But Walt Bellamy in his prime was a 30 and 20 guy. Remember, this is the early-career Bellamy. He had Shaq-like qualities. He would simply put up more production any given game. McHale is not outrebounding prime Bellamy either - never gonna happen.

And while Kiki is a really good scorer, I think prime Oakley can dirty it up and bruise him. Oakley would control the rebounds easily and his defense would make it tough.

Remember - this isn't a pick-up game. In that setting, Cool Kid's team might win. Instead, this is a one-time battle of your life kinda game. With bruisers like Laimbeer, Oakley, Cousins, I don't think the opposing bigs stand much of a chance. It's a grueling game.

As for the rest, KD clearly outshines them, but he does have a DPOY caliber player in Butler guarding him. Prime Butler is an elite physical defender. I concede that KD will still get his but because Butler has a very strong defensive IQ and he's backed by the bruising physical defenders that I listed above, I can see KD settling for more contested jump shots.

KD may get 35, but it's likely on 11/25 shooting while ISO'ing and alienating the rest of the team, with more jump shots than driving to the rim to avoid getting annihilated.

Butler also is talented offensively, and will score intelligently within the confines of the offense.

As for the backcourts, this is where I also think Lying Pirate J has an advantage. Tim Hardaway was a talented scorer and passer, but he was also a gunner. He looked to get his own shots and control the offense. Sure, in his prime he could get 20 points and 10 assists, but he liked dominating the ball. Modern day equivalent? A 6'0 John Wall with bad defense.

Kevin Johnson in his prime, on the other hand was a WAAAAY more efficient scorer than Tim, ran the offense better, and could pass the ball extremely well. It took Tim 20 shot attempts to get to 22 points. It took K.J. 15 shot attempts.

Bob Cousy and Ron Harper would both make it tough on one another, but I think Harper is just the better fit for a team loaded on talent already. Cousy never shot 40%FG in his career - EVER. His best season is 21 points on 21 FGA for .369%FG.

Those are his FG% numbers in his prime. I think Ron Harper's elite defense and ability to run an offense at the PG position would eclipse Cousy's high-volume, chucking nature.

Seeing a pattern here? High volume, low efficiency for every scorer on Cool Kid's team except Kevin Durant. And when KD isn't next to Stephen Curry and is instead next to high volume/low efficient chuckers like Hardaway and Cousy, does it kind of remind you of someone? Someone's name that rhymes with MestLook? And you can see how KD wilted in his last series with OKC.

Brandon Roy is solid on both ends, but I think a prime Elgin Baylor outworks him. Elgin was EVERYWHERE and had the energy of a freaking monster. He could score at an elite level, and he would be rebounding at will. While that may not seem like much at the SG position, I think it would have an enormous impact on a game where Cool Kid's team is demonstrably unable to match the intensity of Lying Pirate J's teams.

At the end of the day, Lying Pirate J's team:

-dominates the paint
-rebounds better
-plays with far more grit and roughness
-is far more efficient
-plays team basketball and are not high-volume chuckers
-very strong IQ's with guys like Butler, KJ, Rip Hamilton, and Harper controlling the rock

and DEFENDS LIKE SOME MONSTERS WHO WILL PLAY UNTIL THEIR HEARTS EXPLODE.

So while Cool Kids team may be better at shooting 3's, I think Lying Pirate J's team wins through sheer desire, intensity, and with talented but smart basketball.

KnicksorBust
05-30-2018, 06:50 PM
I actually really like cool kids overall. No weakness. Plenty of playmaking. Plenty of shooting. VERY EFFICIENT scoring. Good passing. Elite interior defense.

dhopisthename
06-01-2018, 12:36 AM
I think kts is the better team, but I don't want to vote for someone who can't even give a 1 paragraph writeup for his team. not that it will matter. do feel for veerex missing the first round. at least he sent in a ranking.

NYKalltheway
06-01-2018, 01:58 AM
I actually really like cool kids overall. No weakness. Plenty of playmaking. Plenty of shooting. VERY EFFICIENT scoring. Good passing. Elite interior defense.

Add non-existent perimeter defence. Which is why this is much closer than the poll suggests. Still think the first team is winning.

likemystylez
06-01-2018, 02:02 AM
hopefully k love and tristian both get suspended

killthesux
06-01-2018, 03:28 PM
I think kts is the better team, but I don't want to vote for someone who can't even give a 1 paragraph writeup for his team. not that it will matter. do feel for veerex missing the first round. at least he sent in a ranking.

whats the point? hardly anyone reads them before they vote anyway

Lakers + Giants
06-01-2018, 03:37 PM

this. everyone looks at the players and votes. Even the few who want to read a write up already have their mind made up. I've seen so many times where "im leaning one way but will vote once i see the write up" then the write up is posted and they still vote based on their initial stance. Basically, they make you "work" for their vote and at the end it's all for not anyway as the write up isn't enough to persuade them differently. Write ups are pointless now tbh.

dhopisthename
06-01-2018, 04:04 PM

I mean I read them and have certainly changed my mind based on them. This is a matchup that I don't think any writeup could save, but as a rule I won't vote for someone who doesn't defend their team. that happened to me once and was the lamest thing ever.

KnicksorBust
06-01-2018, 06:41 PM

I mean I read them and have certainly changed my mind based on them. This is a matchup that I don't think any writeup could save, but as a rule I won't vote for someone who doesn't defend their team. that happened to me once and was the lamest thing ever.

I agree with most of this. Especially in this game where the teams are VERY close if someone has a smart strategy or researches an advantage about their matchup my vote is definitely up for grabs.

Dunkapolooza
06-02-2018, 03:23 AM
Love the write ups. Best part of the game imo.

valade16
06-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Cool Kids win.