PDA

View Full Version : What is the NBA Equivalent of Bonds's Age 37 Season (73 HR, 259 OPS+, etc)

Giannis94
05-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Given all the LeBron GOAT talk, I was curious to what the NBA equivalent of Bond age 37 (following season was actually better) would be. He hit 73 dingers and OPS+= 259. To put the OPS+ into perspective, Mike Trout's highest going into this year was 186.

So what would Lebron or someone else have to do at their age 37 season to surpass bonds as Greatest Season of All time; and let's take a step further- greatest athelete of all time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml

IKnowHoops
05-28-2018, 12:45 PM
If Lebron gets on massive amounts of Juuce and growth hormone at age 37, then we will sho nuff see it. But I doubt anyone can get away with it like Bonds did so we wonít see it. But Jordanís 3rd season when he was dropping 37pts a game is probably on that realm.

Wilts 50 a game is above it

bklynny67
05-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Bonds cheated so it doesn't really matter. If he didn't cheat, everyone knows he likely wouldn't have come close to those numbers.

Jeffy25
05-28-2018, 01:15 PM
Maybe Malone in 99-00?

Jeffy25
05-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Bonds cheated so it doesn't really matter. If he didn't cheat, everyone knows he likely wouldn't have come close to those numbers.

There were some additional things going on, above and beyond the cheating.

It was a massive expansion time, and the league was littered with weak pitchers. And he went from playing all his road games in pitchers parks to having Arizona and Colorado, two very hitter friendly parks.

Yes, he clearly cheated. But he was very likely to still be a great performer at that age. Arguably the greatest baseball player ever, they can age well in baseball, especially smart hitters that know the strike zone. He had some other advantages that popped up then.

It's not what happened. But imagine if LeBron was in his age 32 season, and then the league expands by 6 teams, and he gets the perfect squad around him. It'll be chips on repeat and he'd be gettign 35/11/11 per night without issue, or playing 28 minutes per night and winning every game.

That's the equivalent of what happened with 35 year old Bonds.

Giannis94
05-28-2018, 01:31 PM
There were some additional things going on, above and beyond the cheating.

It was a massive expansion time, and the league was littered with weak pitchers. And he went from playing all his road games in pitchers parks to having Arizona and Colorado, two very hitter friendly parks.

Yes, he clearly cheated. But he was very likely to still be a great performer at that age. Arguably the greatest baseball player ever, they can age well in baseball, especially smart hitters that know the strike zone. He had some other advantages that popped up then.

It's not what happened. But imagine if LeBron was in his age 32 season, and then the league expands by 6 teams, and he gets the perfect squad around him. It'll be chips on repeat and he'd be gettign 35/11/11 per night without issue, or playing 28 minutes per night and winning every game.

That's the equivalent of what happened with 35 year old Bonds.

I'm not sure Bonds had the perfect squad around him. If he did, they would have won more than one title with him. Sure the team was good. But aside from him, it wasn't "Great"

R. Johnson#3
05-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Bonds was so good that the majority of pitchers didnít even want to face him. The NBA equivalent of this would be a player getting intentionally fouled all game just to limit his scoring.

Jeffy25
05-28-2018, 02:17 PM
I'm not sure Bonds had the perfect squad around him. If he did, they would have won more than one title with him. Sure the team was good. But aside from him, it wasn't "Great"

In basketball, team mates matter, in baseball it's situational.

I wasn't referring to his team, I was referring to the perfect storm of events that allowed him to put up the most insane numbers we've ever seen.

People think a good player, took PED's and became Ruth.

Bonds was always an incredibly great baseball player.

Fantastic defender, base runner, power and gap hitter, controlled the strike zone unlike other power hitters.

Give that man triple a level pitching to hit off of, easier parks to hit it out of, and drugs....and you have a guy that can post some insane numbers.

The one issue I have with Bonds video game era, is the walk rate. That's not drugs. That's a man who knows his zone.

Saddletramp
05-28-2018, 02:18 PM
He cheated so who cares.

jaydubb
05-28-2018, 03:04 PM
Steroids and someone else's urine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

europagnpilgrim
05-28-2018, 04:08 PM
If Lebron gets on massive amounts of Juuce and growth hormone at age 37, then we will sho nuff see it. But I doubt anyone can get away with it like Bonds did so we wonít see it. But Jordanís 3rd season when he was dropping 37pts a game is probably on that realm.

Wilts 50 a game is above it

I guess you see also the decline in muscle mass from Bron as during his Heat days, didn't that roid guy / dealer reside in Florida?

I think you meant to say when Lebron gets back going on massive of amounts of HGH / Roids / etc. then he may sho nuff do it, or just break down from using those type of 'illegal' enhancers

europagnpilgrim
05-28-2018, 04:12 PM
He cheated so who cares.

does that apply to all modern teams / players as well? those patriots super bowls really look tainted then, all 5 in this brady / belicheat era

IKnowHoops
05-28-2018, 04:21 PM
In basketball, team mates matter, in baseball it's situational.

I wasn't referring to his team, I was referring to the perfect storm of events that allowed him to put up the most insane numbers we've ever seen.

People think a good player, took PED's and became Ruth.

Bonds was always an incredibly great baseball player.

Fantastic defender, base runner, power and gap hitter, controlled the strike zone unlike other power hitters.

Give that man triple a level pitching to hit off of, easier parks to hit it out of, and drugs....and you have a guy that can post some insane numbers.

The one issue I have with Bonds video game era, is the walk rate. That's not drugs. That's a man who knows his zone.

Yeah but if ken Griffey gets on juice, he likely hits 80+ home runs in a season. He hit 58 clean. Bonds was like low 40ís clean at his peak

IKnowHoops
05-28-2018, 04:24 PM
I guess you see also the decline in muscle mass from Bron as during his Heat days, didn't that roid guy / dealer reside in Florida?

I think you meant to say when Lebron gets back going on massive of amounts of HGH / Roids / etc. then he may sho nuff do it, or just break down from using those type of 'illegal' enhancers

Naw, Bron was a 240 lb 18 year old and he was super lean. Bron is just a freak. Juice canít give any player what Bron has.

Just like Barry Sanders. Juice canít make a guy move like that. That is a Gift from God

Jeffy25
05-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Yeah but if ken Griffey gets on juice, he likely hits 80+ home runs in a season. He hit 58 clean. Bonds was like low 40ís clean at his peak

How do we know Griffey wasn't on drugs?

People love to make that assumption, but there is no water to it.

Griffey hit 56 twice. But that's partially because he didn't take his walks like Bonds did. He went up there prepared to hit a homer.

Bonds had 46 on 100 less at bats because he drew 50 more walks every year than Griffey.

Griffey was popping upper 200's, lower .300's in isolated power
Bonds was doing the exact same thing.

You can't just look at the raw home run number. There is a lot more to power than that.

The year Bonds hit 73 home runs, he only had 476 at bats (1 every 6.52 at bats)

During 92-99, what would be considered Bonds clean peak - He hit .303/.441/.618 - 303 HR in 3865 at bats (1 every 12.76 at bats) with a .315 ISOlated power

Griffey's peak 93-00, Griffey hit .294/.387/.606 - 351 HR in 4187 at bats (1 every 11.93 at bats) with a .312 ISOlated power

Basically, the same power from both. But Bonds took his walks and did a lot more overall (created a lot more value).

I don't think Griffey gets to just escape the era of PED's though. He played right in the middle of it happening, and that's when he hit for his most power.

Chronz
05-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Nash

tredigs
05-29-2018, 01:28 AM
Very enjoyable to view Jeffy write on something he is legitimately knowledgeable about for a change. Spot on analysis.

blams
05-29-2018, 01:33 AM
Minutes wise, LeBron has already done it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Saddletramp
05-29-2018, 01:33 AM
does that apply to all modern teams / players as well? those patriots super bowls really look tainted then, all 5 in this brady / belicheat era

Yeah, theyíre cheaters, too.

numba1CHANGsta
05-29-2018, 02:15 AM
Bonds-cheater
LeBron-cheater

I'd say that's pretty equivalent

TheMightyHumph
05-29-2018, 02:18 AM
Given all the LeBron GOAT talk, I was curious to what the NBA equivalent of Bond age 37 (following season was actually better) would be. He hit 73 dingers and OPS+= 259. To put the OPS+ into perspective, Mike Trout's highest going into this year was 186.

So what would Lebron or someone else have to do at their age 37 season to surpass bonds as Greatest Season of All time; and let's take a step further- greatest athelete of all time.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml

Lotsa steroids

TheMightyHumph
05-29-2018, 02:24 AM

Giants didn't win a Title with Bonds

Saddletramp
05-29-2018, 04:02 AM
Bonds-cheater
LeBron-cheater

I'd say that's pretty equivalent

Iíd say thatís pretty ****ing stupid.