PDA

View Full Version : Rank the mouthpieces

Jamiecballer
05-22-2018, 12:45 PM
I was watching undisputed this morning, and Skip Bayless was even more ridiculous and hot-takey than i have ever seen. This got me wondering, since I am sure I am not the only person here who likes to listen to a variety of these media personalities. Rank the following from the one you like or find yourself agreeing with/respecting the most, to last.

Shannon Sharpe
Skip Bayless
Stephen A Smith
Max Kellerman
Chris Carter
Colin Cowherd
Nick Wright
Chris Broussard
Will Cain

My list

1. Max Kellerman
2. Nick Wright
3. Colin Cowherd
4. Will Cain
5. Chris Carter
6. Chris Broussard
7. Shannon Sharpe

8. Stephen A Smith - would have looked really smart in the previous decade before information became available and digestible for most fans.
9. Skip Bayless - easy choice here. his agenda to undermine Lebron is deplorable. even his compliments are thinly veiled insults and he relies on listeners having veryyyy short memories

what about you?

COOLbeans
05-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Interesting topic.

Will Cain
Max Kellerman (outside of Warriors topics this year only.)
Chris Broussard
Skip Bayless
Stephen A Smith
Chris Carter
LeShannon Sharp
Colin Cowherd

COOLbeans
05-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Kind of glad I don't know who half of these people are.

Which ones haven't you heard of?

IndyRealist
05-22-2018, 01:31 PM

ewing
05-22-2018, 01:34 PM
Do all of these guys talk about basketball? I've been exposed to Stephan A the most and he is a total moron. Seen Skip the next most and he is an idiot to. I remember when Kellerman started doing "sports" instead of boxing and it seemed he had a lot of homework to do before knowing other sports.

ewing
05-22-2018, 01:34 PM

I feel similarly

tredigs
05-22-2018, 01:42 PM
Ranking these guys from "best to worst" seems counterintuitive. I pity those who regularly digest their nonsense. Especially with all the incredible content that is available to NBA fans now.

Anybody here also subscribe to cleaning the glass?

Jamiecballer
05-22-2018, 01:55 PM
Ranking these guys from "best to worst" seems counterintuitive. I pity those who regularly digest their nonsense. Especially with all the incredible content that is available to NBA fans now.

Anybody here also subscribe to cleaning the glass?

i haven't heard of it. Podcast? the only ones i listen to are the lowe post and the jump

Lakers + Giants
05-22-2018, 01:56 PM
All I want to say is **** Chris Broussard. That is all.

tredigs
05-22-2018, 02:16 PM
i haven't heard of it. Podcast? the only ones i listen to are the lowe post and the jump

New website by a guy who used to work in Portland's front office. Some of it is free but it is $5 a month for the premium content. If you're a bball nerd though, the breakdowns are all by true basketball professionals and it's insight you would not normally get without being part of a high level coaching staff. Best breakdown site I've ever seen.

Podcast wise I like the Lowe post. Also on the "back to back" podcast network the Monday pod with Ethan Strauss (Warriors heavy, but he is high quality and objective), and the Wednesday show with Tom Haberstroh and Coach Thorpe (Tom is mostly lame but Thorpe is a coaching genius and a good listen with unique insight). Simmons and Dunc'd on (dry but quality) here and there.

MarkieMark48
05-23-2018, 01:40 PM
personally I love Shannon and Skip... I love how Lebron can go for 45/15/12 knock down the game winner and Skip can find 1 play in the 3rd quarter when Lebron dribbles the ball between his legs and Skip will blast him all show about it, or completely ignore it and say something like "Cleveland won this game because JR Smith had 4 key points after halftime"... and on the flip side Lebron can turn the ball over 15 times and Shannon not say a word about it. Its quite entertaining to me. The guy I absolutely cant stand is Michael Rapaport.

ewing
05-23-2018, 02:28 PM
I think it goes

Jamie
Iknowhoops
flashbolt

I'd have to review the files

Jamiecballer
05-23-2018, 02:30 PM
I think it goes

Jamie
Iknowhoops
flashbolt

I'd have to review the files

does that make me the best! or the worst

ewing
05-23-2018, 02:32 PM
does that make me the best! or the worst

you are at worst 2nd best based on gut alone you are best

HandsOnTheWheel
05-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Half the guys on this list are paid to profess controversial, media driven nonsense. With most of these guys it's less about actual knowledge and expertise, but 'by the book' hot takes that will make their employer the most money.

MarkieMark48
05-23-2018, 02:56 PM
Half the guys on this list are paid to profess controversial, media driven nonsense. With most of these guys it's less about actual knowledge and expertise, but 'by the book' hot takes that will make their employer the most money.

Bingo... on some of the things I think "theres no way this guy actually believes what he saying"

IndyRealist
05-23-2018, 03:05 PM
Bingo... on some of the things I think "theres no way this guy actually believes what he saying"

Yeah but then you end up with the 2016 election.

Driven
05-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Most of those guys on that list are purely debaters. Their job is to debate and create click bait videos. It's hard for me to rank them. The only real way I'd rank them is by how legitimate or truthful they are as mouthpieces.

Skip, Shannon, Max, Stephen A. (when on First Take), Nick Wright, and Cris Carter are just debaters. So they rank below the others. I don't know anything about Will Cain though.

MarkieMark48
05-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Yeah but then you end up with the 2016 election.

:flag:

MJNetsIsles
05-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Mike Francesa. /endthread

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Chris Brousard and Max are my favs. I enjoy listening to Stephen A., usually tend to agree with them three.

I cant stand listening to Colin Cowherd or Jason Whitlock

Kenyon Martin is another who i enjoy listening, too. Always seems to have good insight. and you can tell he's sincere in everything he says. he's not concerned with hurting anyones feelings.

Tg11
05-23-2018, 06:30 PM
LeShannon Sharpe aka Unc; Shannon is the ultimate mouthpiece and right behind him is Stephen A

Chronz
05-23-2018, 08:28 PM
I only like kellerman because he can frame an argument coherently and is a great debater, really miss when he and Marcellus dominated the la radio ranks.

Nick Wright is like your common poster who cites stats he doesn't truly comprehend. SAS is a great at helping people he likes look good in a debate or at least keep them from stumbling, his main issue is the race baiting and a propensity for living in the moment. Cowherd is the most scintillating but definitely a blow hard who hates on players based on his morality (I'll never forgive him for how he shat on John wall being fatherless). Will cain is a max in training. Shannon and skip are just comedy, I like them together, like two extreme sides of the same coin. Chris Carter I'm still trying to understand but he's a great listener and feeds off others very well, like a true diplomat.

Then there's the worst of the worst. Multiple sources boy has a deep knowledge of the games history, its such a shame he doesn't understand basketball or stats. He has no expertise just a ton of wildly conflicting opinions. You can tell he was the whipping boy at ESPN and is trying to be well liked at his new spot, it's not working tho.

Now let's rank the women. Are any of them fine?

kobe4thewinbang
05-24-2018, 12:26 AM
I respect the following:

Max Kellerman (he's quickly become my favorite since taking over for Skip)
Stephen A. Smith I am actually a fan of, has a mind, but he is definitely a showman too
Skip Bayless has experience that can't be ignored even if he is stubborn; respect his love for the Spurs
Shannon Sharpe has a lot of charisma and has a lot of NBA knowledge for an NFL dude

I generally stick to First Take & Undisputed.

I never really paid any mind to Chris Broussard as most of his claims are nonsense. Obviously, you gotta respect Adrian Wojnarowski for being #1 at reporting trades/everything. Dunno who his sources are, but wow. Also, I really enjoy NBA TV and Gametime. I used to watch it all the time, but can't afford cable at the moment/don't really have time for it. Luckily, the NBA app for the PlayStation 4 is amazing with video content. Will Cain, I don't know about. He likes to pick fights, and I don't really think he's right half the time.

I've recently started liking "The Starters", as those guys seem smart about NBA, but mostly enjoy the GameTime fellows, which vary from past players that clearly know the game and are speaking from experience and of course the long-time analysts that host.

I know there are lot more shows now on ESPN and the like, but First Take/Undisputed are the ones I'll actually watch on my days off work. I just let YouTube autoplay the latest clips from the official channels. I like it when they "go on the road" for the Finals.

Otherwise, it's the NBA app for me which I love. I used to watch NBA TV pretty much all day (I really like the NBA) in my adolescence for the highlights and analysis. I really enjoy sports talk about the NBA. I quickly lose interest once they start talking about other sports as I don't follow those much.

kobe4thewinbang
05-24-2018, 12:31 AM
I only like kellerman because he can frame an argument coherently and is a great debater, really miss when he and Marcellus dominated the la radio ranks.

Nick Wright is like your common poster who cites stats he doesn't truly comprehend. SAS is a great at helping people he likes look good in a debate or at least keep them from stumbling, his main issue is the race baiting and a propensity for living in the moment. Cowherd is the most scintillating but definitely a blow hard who hates on players based on his morality (I'll never forgive him for how he shat on John wall being fatherless). Will cain is a max in training. Shannon and skip are just comedy, I like them together, like two extreme sides of the same coin. Chris Carter I'm still trying to understand but he's a great listener and feeds off others very well, like a true diplomat.

Then there's the worst of the worst. Multiple sources boy has a deep knowledge of the games history, its such a shame he doesn't understand basketball or stats. He has no expertise just a ton of wildly conflicting opinions. You can tell he was the whipping boy at ESPN and is trying to be well liked at his new spot, it's not working tho.

Now let's rank the women. Are any of them fine?The moderator girl on First Take (forget her name, sorry) is attractive and has piped up a bit during Max/Stephen wars. She's a Lakers fan I believe which is cool. The girl on Undisputed seems okay at hosting but not as vocal as the First Take chick. Can't speak for others.

Driven
05-24-2018, 01:06 PM
I used to hate Cowherd, now I don't as much anymore. I guess it depends on the sport that he's talking about.

What I still can't stand about him though is how he compares every single scenario in sports to a scenario in real life. And it usually is a stupid comparison.

Like when he compared Eli Manning to meatloaf. Not the ever great singer-songwriter Meatloaf, but the food meatloaf.

MarkieMark48
05-24-2018, 01:15 PM
The moderator girl on First Take (forget her name, sorry) is attractive and has piped up a bit during Max/Stephen wars. She's a Lakers fan I believe which is cool. The girl on Undisputed seems okay at hosting but not as vocal as the First Take chick. Can't speak for others.

The girl on First take (molly quirem sp?) is dating Jalen Rose, there was a segment where Jalen was filling in for SAS and the topic was where are potential landing spots for LeBron, and Jalen said something to the tune of -if youre not committed to a team long term, youre always going to evaluate other options- and Molly gave him a major stink eye lmao...... The girl on undisputed, Joy Taylor is Jason Taylor's sister....both of them are fine, but I like Joy Taylor a tad more IMO

Chronz
05-24-2018, 04:27 PM
I used to hate Cowherd, now I don't as much anymore. I guess it depends on the sport that he's talking about.

What I still can't stand about him though is how he compares every single scenario in sports to a scenario in real life. And it usually is a stupid comparison.

Like when he compared Eli Manning to meatloaf. Not the ever great singer-songwriter Meatloaf, but the food meatloaf.
Lol. Wat

Chronz
05-24-2018, 04:32 PM
The girl on First take (molly quirem sp?) is dating Jalen Rose, there was a segment where Jalen was filling in for SAS and the topic was where are potential landing spots for LeBron, and Jalen said something to the tune of -if youre not committed to a team long term, youre always going to evaluate other options- and Molly gave him a major stink eye lmao...... The girl on undisputed, Joy Taylor is Jason Taylor's sister....both of them are fine, but I like Joy Taylor a tad more IMO
Eminem had a verse about her and Jalen had nothing but love for it. Jalen has really grown into his spotlight. He used to be soft spoken and robotic, then bill Simmons let him bring his bat to podcasts and he developed a persona.

Tmac owes all his success after the nba to his popularity but also his wife. If you remember young tmac, he talked alot like young Kobe, very hood oriented, but his lady got him to take public speaking type classes and he became adept at handling the media

YAALREADYKNO
05-24-2018, 05:42 PM
I was watching undisputed this morning, and Skip Bayless was even more ridiculous and hot-takey than i have ever seen. This got me wondering, since I am sure I am not the only person here who likes to listen to a variety of these media personalities. Rank the following from the one you like or find yourself agreeing with/respecting the most, to last.

Shannon Sharpe
Skip Bayless
Stephen A Smith
Max Kellerman
Chris Carter
Colin Cowherd
Nick Wright
Chris Broussard
Will Cain

My list

1. Max Kellerman
2. Nick Wright
3. Colin Cowherd
4. Will Cain
5. Chris Carter
6. Chris Broussard
7. Shannon Sharpe

8. Stephen A Smith - would have looked really smart in the previous decade before information became available and digestible for most fans.
9. Skip Bayless - easy choice here. his agenda to undermine Lebron is deplorable. even his compliments are thinly veiled insults and he relies on listeners having veryyyy short memories

what about you?

Chris Broussard
Stephen A Smith
Max Kellerman
Will Cain
Skip Bayless
Cris Carter
Nick Wright

Shannon Sharpe/Colin Cowherd

kobe4thewinbang
05-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Gonna give a listen later tonight to Undisputed & First Take, wonder what was said of the Rockets Game 4 road victory especially with Max rooting for Houston and Stephen A being a Durant fan. Also, LeBron is in trouble and I'm sure Skip has already roasted him following the Game 5 loss.

goingfor28
05-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Whoever it was (I believe it wasChris Broussard) who said Mark Cuban was furiously driving around Houston trying to get DeAndre Jordan's address is the best.

Stephen A and Skip are easily the worst.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk