PDA

View Full Version : Guys who have lost the most value as impending FA's

HandsOnTheWheel
05-22-2018, 09:21 AM
Who of these guys who were perhaps expecting a big payday this summer flopped the hardest?

Rodney Hood
Carmelo Anthony
Isaiah Thomas
Avery Bradley
Nerlens Noel

Feel free to add anyone I'm missing

BKLYNpigeon
05-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Carmelo is not a free agent.

Ahriman
05-22-2018, 09:43 AM
Jabari took a bit hit value wise too but the biggest loser is IT. Dude was a $20+m multi-year contract player before end of last year. Now he'll prolly take a 1yr/$10m somewhere to be a 6th man again

MILLERHIGHLIFE
05-22-2018, 10:12 AM
Jabari took a bit hit value wise too but the biggest loser is IT. Dude was a $20+m multi-year contract player before end of last year. Now he'll prolly take a 1yr/$10m somewhere to be a 6th man again

Yeah I was just gonna say Parker. But you got it covered. I'm hoping for a S&T or him taking a massive discount to stay.

IndyRealist
05-22-2018, 10:29 AM

Melo could theoretically decline his $28m player option and become a free agent. Theoretically.

KingPosey
05-22-2018, 10:43 AM

He is if he wants to be, and for the purpose of the question being asked he fits pretty well in the Convo.

TrueFan420
05-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Boogie

Jetsguy
05-22-2018, 11:07 AM
has to be IT. Nobody was offering Melo a big deal after last year much less this year. Hood to but he was not in line for nearly the payday IT was anyway.

GREATNESS ONE
05-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Boogie

Definitely, was lined up for max money and now may have to settle on a 1/2year prove it type of deal.

crewfan13
05-22-2018, 11:26 AM
IT is the obvious one. Nerlens Noel is a great one too. He was offered 4/$70 before the season, took the $4.1 mill QO and now cant be inline for anything close to 4/$70. Like IT, Id imagine hell have to take a short term prove it deal to try to rebuild value.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-22-2018, 11:39 AM

You're right! Forgot the player option lol

HandsOnTheWheel
05-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Boogie

Good one too

Pierzynski4Prez
05-22-2018, 11:48 AM
Someone will still max out Cousins.

JAZZNC
05-22-2018, 12:33 PM
I don't think Cousins fits because his play was excellent before the injury. He will most certainly get a max contract. I wouldn't want him because he just doesn't seem to contribute to winning for some reason but he puts up the stats that will make a team give him as much as they can.

TrueFan420
05-22-2018, 01:44 PM
I don't think Cousins fits because his play was excellent before the injury. He will most certainly get a max contract. I wouldn't want him because he just doesn't seem to contribute to winning for some reason but he puts up the stats that will make a team give him as much as they can.
Teams will be wary of giving him a max post injury and the perception that the Pels got better and went on a run after he went out. Someone could still give it to him but it's a question mark right now where it was a lock pre injury.

TrueFan420
05-22-2018, 01:45 PM
IT is the obvious one. Nerlens Noel is a great one too. He was offered 4/$70 before the season, took the $4.1 mill QO and now cant be inline for anything close to 4/$70. Like IT, Id imagine hell have to take a short term prove it deal to try to rebuild value.

I don't think anyone was going to max IT. I forgot about Noel turning down that contract, boy did he fvck up.

mrblisterdundee
05-22-2018, 02:06 PM
Let's also take into consideration the market forces. Teams simply don't have as much cap space this summer. Whether a player is good or not, they're likely getting less this summer compared to next. This could lead to guys like Smart and Nurkic to take their qualifying offers in hopes of a bigger payday next year.

R. Johnson#3
05-22-2018, 06:36 PM
Remember a year ago when IT said they were going to need a Brinks truck for his impending free agency?

Eg714
05-22-2018, 08:25 PM
Still holds true. 10 mill is a lot will fill a brinks truck but he was easily gonna get 100 million before injury.

TrueFan420
05-22-2018, 08:46 PM
Still holds true. 10 mill is a lot will fill a brinks truck but he was easily gonna get 100 million before injury.

No he wasn't. A lot of people didn't think he was worth it even with his great season. He was an undersized scorer in a system that made him shine while hide his weakness.

beasted86
05-22-2018, 10:08 PM
I feel if Isaiah Thomas would have had a season similar year to last (24+ PPG) his floor would have been 4yr $100M. How many free agents come off back to back seasons like that and don't get a 10 digit contact?

He won't get 1/4 that now.

Noel is also horribly screwed. No skill growth, more injuries, no Bird rights, and a poor attitude/work ethic.

If he's halfway smart, he'd work his tail off this summer and go sign a 1yr minimum with the Warriors.

crewfan13
05-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Not sure a year with the warriors really builds him up that much. I mean, unless he improves significantly hell be mostly nailed to the bench in any sort of important situation. He could easily win a ring but I doubt it would rehab his image much.

If hes looking to build value, a 1 or 2 year deal with a decent team who has an obvious need at center would make a lot more sense. Take a year or two to rehab your image and hit the market again when a lot of this initial awful contracts fall off teams books.

beasted86
05-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Not sure a year with the warriors really builds him up that much. I mean, unless he improves significantly hell be mostly nailed to the bench in any sort of important situation. He could easily win a ring but I doubt it would rehab his image much.

If hes looking to build value, a 1 or 2 year deal with a decent team who has an obvious need at center would make a lot more sense. Take a year or two to rehab your image and hit the market again when a lot of this initial awful contracts fall off teams books.

I feel the real issue at hand is Noel is a stupid player with poor IQ. The Warriors are the only team that I feel can make him look halfway competent because so much pressure would be lifted off of him.

Like Whiteside, and a bunch of other new-era rebound block shot centers, he has no vocal communication or leadership whatsoever on defense. The Warriors have a defensive captain and stud in Draymond who covers that for him and puts everyone in their proper position. Any other team where they ask Noel to "man the paint" like the traditional Center will expose this huge flaw in his game. He could learn a lot from Draymond.

He can also benefit hugely in easy offense on the Warriors. Any other team where he's forced to take more than even 1 single dribble will expose his lack of decision making and overall offensive IQ in shot selection.

Brybmc868
05-24-2018, 09:14 PM
Isahai Thomas : Kyrie Irving becaue hes constantly injured come playoffs / Carmelo Anthony / dwane wade /

Brybmc868
05-24-2018, 09:19 PM
Lebron james

goingfor28
05-24-2018, 10:12 PM
Someone will still max out Cousins.For sure

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

goingfor28
05-24-2018, 10:14 PM
I feel if Isaiah Thomas would have had a season similar year to last (24+ PPG) his floor would have been 4yr $100M. How many free agents come off back to back seasons like that and don't get a 10 digit contact?

Nobody has $1,000,000,000 contract.

Kyben36
05-24-2018, 10:55 PM
Noels market was not there last season and so i would not call it a great hit. I thought Hood would get max with the Jazz B4 the trade, and now i think the cavs let him walk.

15 minutes per game and under 5 point per game in the playoffs for the cavs.

Compare that to 36 year old Kyle korver who is playing nearly 25 mintutes for 10.4 points.

outside of him. I would say thomas. Thomas lost a ton of money this season for a multitude of reasons.

TylerSL
05-25-2018, 12:02 AM
While he won't be a free agent because he'll opt into his money, I voted Melo. I really think he would have it rough if he tried his hand in the market in this climate. Not many teams have cap and I don't think many teams would consider him an absolute game changer for them, meaning they wouldn't be ready to spend big money on him. There longest contract he could hope for is two years, and I highly doubt he could even get $20 million/year because nobody has cap space, and he isn't the game changer he used to be.

Which is why he's going to take that easy $28 million and bypass free agency. Now the only question is if Oklahoma City can trade him, because they will try. I only answered this question because I feel like Melo has lost the most value over the last season. Isaiah Thomas, I believe, would have struggled getting a max offer even last year because of his hip, as well as size and defense. If Boston used all their cap on IT they would have never been able to get Hayward, whom I believe they would have valued more anyway.

In order I'd say the players that lost the most value are,

1. Melo
2. IT
3. Noel
4. Hood
5. Bradley

TylerSL
05-25-2018, 12:11 AM
I would say the players who lost the most value, whether they are free agents or not, would be;

1. Whiteside
2. Melo
3. Kawhi (because he went from being on of the greatest assets in basketball to unknown future)
4. Marc Gasol
5. IT

IndyRealist
05-25-2018, 07:06 AM
I would say the players who lost the most value, whether they are free agents or not, would be;

1. Whiteside
2. Melo
3. Kawhi (because he went from being on of the greatest assets in basketball to unknown future)
4. Marc Gasol
5. IT

There's some perception that Whiteside is being misused, not that there's something inherently wrong with him. I personally think it's some combination of both.

People made excuses for Melo for so long that now when he has nothing to hide behind it suddenly tanked his value, only in that he was massively overvalued before OKC.

29 teams would trade for Kawhi and max him immediately, so I don't think it's reasonable to say he lost value.

crewfan13
05-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Noels market was not there last season and so i would not call it a great hit. I thought Hood would get max with the Jazz B4 the trade, and now i think the cavs let him walk.

15 minutes per game and under 5 point per game in the playoffs for the cavs.

Compare that to 36 year old Kyle korver who is playing nearly 25 mintutes for 10.4 points.

outside of him. I would say thomas. Thomas lost a ton of money this season for a multitude of reasons.

Noel was offered 4/$70 with the mavs last year but took the QO instead. If we assume that deal was something like $16/$17/$18/$19M over the 4 years, we can actually start guessing at what he cost himself. He played last year at $4M instead of $16M, so hes already down $12M. Now this year, hell probably be lucky to land $7M or more if he takes a 1yr deal. So its likely he cost himself another $10 mill.

And even if he rehabs his stock next year, hed basically need to make $55-$60M over the next two years to hit the number he could have gotten last year, which isnt going to happen, no matter how well he plays.

Realistically, I think its pretty safe to say even if he breaks out, Noel cost himself $20M over 4 years at a minimum. If he doesnt break out and has to sign $5-$10M deals the next two years as well, he will have cost himself closer to $40M or maybe even $50M over 4 years.

I think IT is the only other guy you can say lost that amount of money in one season basically.

beasted86
05-25-2018, 09:31 PM
Nobody has $1,000,000,000 contract.

Sorry, 9 digit

Giannis94
05-25-2018, 09:36 PM
I hope Jabari gets a 1 year deal. Time to prove your worth young buck

Vinylman
05-27-2018, 12:08 PM
Let's also take into consideration the market forces. Teams simply don't have as much cap space this summer. Whether a player is good or not, they're likely getting less this summer compared to next. This could lead to guys like Smart and Nurkic to take their qualifying offers in hopes of a bigger payday next year.

except their is even less money next year because it will be the 4th year of the FA's who were signed in the year the cap exploded...

Most of these guys should take 1 plus 1 deals gives them 2 years of guarantees and then allows them to do another 1 plus 1 next summer so they can hit FA when all those ****** deals expire...

Vinylman
05-27-2018, 12:37 PM
I hope Jabari gets a 1 year deal. Time to prove your worth young buck

The QO? Because he can't sign anything less than a 2 year deal with other teams unless the bucks renounce him

Giannis94
05-27-2018, 02:30 PM
The QO? Because he can't sign anything less than a 2 year deal with other teams unless the bucks renounce him
That works for me. Wouldn't mind a 2/3 year deal but nothing longer at this time unless he takes a hit on AAV for 4+.. I mean I'm fine with 2/30 or 3/30-40 not much more. And if they let him go I'm content with that, too.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-31-2018, 09:25 PM
Easily IT.

Sanjay
06-03-2018, 02:27 AM
Easily IT.

He was hurt, was a bad fit at the Cavs and then got traded to the Lakers. I do not think this affects his great 2016-17 season.

rufo4100
06-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Def Isaiah THomas. Melo will just opt in and get his money...but if he opts out I bet somebody gives him a very good offer close to 20.

IT2 was looking at a close to max deal last summer....now I dont think he cracks 10 million per. I bet he signs a 1 year deal somewhere...probably with Lakers when they miss out on all the stud free agents.

JAZZNC
06-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Hood has gone from a guy who could have gotten a really nice contract to a guy who is going to get nothing. He has lost a lot. But that's what happens when you provide nothing but scoring and you can't even do that efficiently.

dhopisthename
06-05-2018, 12:02 PM
Hood has gone from a guy who could have gotten a really nice contract to a guy who is going to get nothing. He has lost a lot. But that's what happens when you provide nothing but scoring and you can't even do that efficiently.

plus can't stay healthy and has playing anxiety

WestCoastSportz
06-05-2018, 01:33 PM
As strange as this may sound, but I feel Paul George's value took a dip. If he didn't get traded to the Thunder, I think he would have put up great numbers in Indiana and people would talk about him getting a max deal elsewhere, such as Los Angeles. A max deal would be worth somewhere in that $34M range. I don't think he's going to get anything close to that if he opts out and becomes an unrestricted free agent. He'll sit in that $22-25M range. He was suppose to be the guy to help Westbrook and the Thunder to the promised land but all he did was prove that he wasn't.

IndyRealist
06-05-2018, 01:38 PM
As strange as this may sound, but I feel Paul George's value took a dip. If he didn't get traded to the Thunder, I think he would have put up great numbers in Indiana and people would talk about him getting a max deal elsewhere, such as Los Angeles. A max deal would be worth somewhere in that $34M range. I don't think he's going to get anything close to that if he opts out and becomes an unrestricted free agent. He'll sit in that $22-25M range. He was suppose to be the guy to help Westbrook and the Thunder to the promised land but all he did was prove that he wasn't.

Still was #2 in steals and I think #1 in deflections while shooting 40% from 3. I dump on the guy a ton but he didn't lose nearly as much value as someone like IT.

If RWB couldn't get there with Durant, he wasn't getting there with PG.

D Blue987
06-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Would be shocked if he got a max deal from anybody. This wasn't a simple injury. This was an achillies which few players actually return to 100% form from. He is young enough to make that a possibility but he will have to prove himself and thus I can see him signing a 1 year deal if he doesn't get the type of offers he wants.

D Blue987
06-05-2018, 02:07 PM

George carried that team along with Westbrook. If anyone is to blame it's Melo. He was a waste of salary cap for them and they don't have much flexibility this summer either to add pieces. I don't think OKC will offer him a max deal either but it's more for luxury tax concerns for a team that won only 2 games in the postseason. Not worth the investment if I am the Thunder owner imo. They were only 3 million behind GS and CLE for highest payroll over the luxury tax. Like I said though, Melo was the mistake not PG13.

HandsOnTheWheel
06-05-2018, 03:24 PM

Plenty of teams would give him a max contract.

WestCoastSportz
06-06-2018, 12:29 PM
George carried that team along with Westbrook. If anyone is to blame it's Melo. He was a waste of salary cap for them and they don't have much flexibility this summer either to add pieces. I don't think OKC will offer him a max deal either but it's more for luxury tax concerns for a team that won only 2 games in the postseason. Not worth the investment if I am the Thunder owner imo. They were only 3 million behind GS and CLE for highest payroll over the luxury tax. Like I said though, Melo was the mistake not PG13.

You can't blame another player for the team's lack of mistakes? If George and Westbrook really carried that team, they should have been better, but they weren't. With George, they won 48 games. The previous year, without George, they won 47. A max player doesn't effect a team by 1 win whether one player plays bad or not. The Pacers also won 48 games without George. With George, they won 42. This is something GMs will be looking at. What impact does one player have on a team.

MygirlhatesCod
06-06-2018, 01:37 PM
You can't blame another player for the team's lack of mistakes? If George and Westbrook really carried that team, they should have been better, but they weren't. With George, they won 48 games. The previous year, without George, they won 47. A max player doesn't effect a team by 1 win whether one player plays bad or not. The Pacers also won 48 games without George. With George, they won 42. This is something GMs will be looking at. What impact does one player have on a team.

ive been on this same song. dipo and the performance of OKC really displayed how over rated PG13 is.

MygirlhatesCod
06-06-2018, 01:40 PM
ive been on this same song. dipo and the performance of OKC really displayed how over rated PG13 is.

or it shows how much westbrook hinders a players impact.

IndyRealist
06-06-2018, 05:24 PM

That's overly simplistic. Melo played a ton of minutes and was flat out bad, as in negative wins bad. Any gains from PG were simply negated.

Conversely, the Pacers had 3 new starters and a 2 new bench rotation players. They were essentially a whole new team. 4 guys had career years. PG leaving doesn't really explain it all like you suggest.

Chronz
06-06-2018, 06:14 PM
That's overly simplistic. Melo played a ton of minutes and was flat out bad, as in negative wins bad. Any gains from PG were simply negated.

Conversely, the Pacers had 3 new starters and a 2 new bench rotation players. They were essentially a whole new team. 4 guys had career years. PG leaving doesn't really explain it all like you suggest.
Still wonder why people think it's not a team game

MILLERHIGHLIFE
06-07-2018, 12:25 PM
Curious what Jabari Parker gets as a RFA. I prefer a sign and trade. Since Parker and Middleton both play SF. Middleton cant play SG any longer. Giannis get the majority of PF minutes. So kinda like something has to give. But I prefer a S&T of Parker. He already cried about minutes and pouted already. So cant picture him as a 6h man super sub.