PDA

View Full Version : Friendly reminder that Doncic just won MVP and lead Real Madrid to the title

zn23
05-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Best player in the draft. Played against the best competition in the best league in Europe.

I really hope he doesn't end up on the Kings.

GREATNESS ONE
05-20-2018, 06:07 PM
I mean if he goes to the Kings does that mean the play Fox at the 2?

Lakers + Giants
05-20-2018, 06:14 PM
I mean if he goes to the Kings does that mean the play Fox at the 2?

He's a wing.

More-Than-Most
05-20-2018, 06:20 PM
Best player in the draft. Played against the best competition in the best league in Europe.

I really hope he doesn't end up on the Kings.

He shouldnt be eligible for the ROY this upcoming season because of the advantage he has playing in the toughest non nba league in the world while all these other guys played against trash. Clearly he is now more NBA ready and thus has a massive advantage going forward.

bklynny67
05-20-2018, 06:21 PM
He will be a rookie, and is 19 years old... He most certainly should be eligible for ROY.

Heediot
05-20-2018, 06:24 PM
Not too sure about best player long term. I think he has the highest floor and lowest bust potential. Solid starter at worse IMO. I think he eats-sleeps-**** basketball and has the work ethic and drive that won't make him bust, but you never know. I can't really say how good his potential is, there are guys similar like Curry and Jokic who don't have the athleticism aspect, but have the feel/vision/iq/work ethic that makes them studs. We will see....

Also won final four mvp, made all tournament first team when slovenia won the euro championships. Poised and mature beyond his years. Not afraid/embraces of the big stage and moment. Pretty unprecedented his awards and role in championships for a guy his age in europe.

Heediot
05-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Thought he was a guard. Havenít seen much of the kid yet but will do in the next few days when Iím off

I think he can play 1-3 interchangeably, can play on and off the ball.

GREATNESS ONE
05-20-2018, 06:32 PM
He's a wing.

Thought he was a guard. Havenít seen much of the kid yet but will do in the next few days when Iím off

beasted86
05-20-2018, 07:38 PM
You say this as though he did it dropping "NBA MVP" or "All-Star" or even all time great Euroleague stats.

This accomplishment doesn't raise his stock any. If you had him slotted 3-5 overall a month ago, he's still 3-5.

The only thing this does is catch the attention of people who weren't scouting him at all.

More-Than-Most
05-20-2018, 07:39 PM
He will be a rookie, and is 19 years old... He most certainly should be eligible for ROY.

I strongly disagree... The rule is irrelevent there is certain creteria one must reach to be considered a rookie.

-Must be drafted the year of the award regaurdless of play time
-Must play in the US with no oversea leagues allowed.
-Must be under the years of 20 but over the age of 12
-Must be on a **** team and score a certain amount of Points on 40 shots a game
-Must be drafted by a Western conference team only because playing in the East is unfair
-Must be from a top school while getting far in the NCAA tourney
-Must be humble and say all the right things with no showboating
-Cannot be a ginger
-Cannot play for any team that openly tanked and or tanks
-Must pass the eye test stats be damned
-Must get the seal of approval here on PSD

If a rookie follows all of these then they are in fact the ROY and there is no debate about it.

zn23
05-20-2018, 08:21 PM
You say this as though he did it dropping "NBA MVP" or "All-Star" or even all time great Euroleague stats.

This accomplishment doesn't raise his stock any. If you had him slotted 3-5 overall a month ago, he's still 3-5.

The only thing this does is catch the attention of people who weren't scouting him at all.

He swept all the awards in Euroleague. Won the MVP, final four MVP, Rising Star. Becoming the youngest ever to win MVP in the Euroleague. Last year, at 18, he lead Slovenia to a Eurobasket Tournament and made the All-Tournament team while thoroughly outplaying Gasol, Porzingis and Markannen.

As far as stats go, he avg. 13-6-5 in 24 minutes for Real Madrid this season. Again, at 19 playing against men.

As far as accomplishments go he has far surpassed any other player in this draft and it's not close.

Heediot
05-20-2018, 09:30 PM
I think 50/50 he goes number 1. Suns GM McDonagh is playing for his job pretty soon and needs to win now. I think Doncic is the most nba ready and may help add wins right away compared to the other top pick candidates. Ayton may end up being better long term, but even KAT's first two years of pretty numbers didn't amount to much wins in Minny. The hiring of the new coach who wouldn't complain one bit if they chose Doncic over Ayton, also makes me lean that way. If this were a gm with more job security, I think they can go Ayton, but my gut tells me Luka.

Jamiecballer
05-20-2018, 09:35 PM
He shouldnt be eligible for the ROY this upcoming season because of the advantage he has playing in the toughest non nba league in the world while all these other guys played against trash. Clearly he is now more NBA ready and thus has a massive advantage going forward.Great troll job lol

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
05-20-2018, 11:17 PM
Great troll job lol

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

: )

MJNetsIsles
05-21-2018, 12:09 AM
I would trade every player not named DíAngelo Russell to the Suns and take Doncic.

beasted86
05-21-2018, 01:23 AM
He swept all the awards in Euroleague. Won the MVP, final four MVP, Rising Star. Becoming the youngest ever to win MVP in the Euroleague. Last year, at 18, he lead Slovenia to a Eurobasket Tournament and made the All-Tournament team while thoroughly outplaying Gasol, Porzingis and Markannen.

As far as stats go, he avg. 13-6-5 in 24 minutes for Real Madrid this season. Again, at 19 playing against men.

As far as accomplishments go he has far surpassed any other player in this draft and it's not close.
Again, fine and dandy accomplishments.

None of this raises his stock as a prospect. Wherever you've had him if you were a lottery GM scouting him months ago is likely where you have him now.

Playing through the season its not as if he's gotten progressively better where like he was getting 10 PPG earlier now months later he's giving you 17 a night. He's basically what he's been which IMO is 3-5. I would be shocked out of my shirt if he goes 1 or 2.

zn23
05-21-2018, 01:28 AM
I think 50/50 he goes number 1. Suns GM McDonagh is playing for his job pretty soon and needs to win now. I think Doncic is the most nba ready and may help add wins right away compared to the other top pick candidates. Ayton may end up being better long term, but even KAT's first two years of pretty numbers didn't amount to much wins in Minny. The hiring of the new coach who wouldn't complain one bit if they chose Doncic over Ayton, also makes me lean that way. If this were a gm with more job security, I think they can go Ayton, but my gut tells me Luka.

6 years ago, I would agree. But this is a new era and it's a guard dominated league now.

I've seen Ayton play, and at his peak he'll be another KAT type: 20/10 with 2 blocks and low or non existent assist numbers. A really solid player that puts up nice numbers, but one that won't win you many games unless he's surrounded by a lot of talent. I'm not sold that him and Devin Booker can change life in Phoenix, you'll most likely get another Wiggins-KAT scenario, prior to Jimmy Butler joining the team.

Heediot
05-21-2018, 06:31 AM
Again, fine and dandy accomplishments.

None of this raises his stock as a prospect. Wherever you've had him if you were a lottery GM scouting him months ago is likely where you have him now.

Playing through the season its not as if he's gotten progressively better where like he was getting 10 PPG earlier now months later he's giving you 17 a night. He's basically what he's been which IMO is 3-5. I would be shocked out of my shirt if he goes 1 or 2.

Vlade will take him easily if the suns don't. I can see arguments where people don't believe he is worth the hype due to some limitations. Suns will give him a hard look with the new coach having experience coaching him and the gm on the hot seat almost and needing to win now. Vlade has that adriatic/euro bias in him that will make him lean that way if things are close between a prospect.

Heediot
05-21-2018, 06:34 AM
6 years ago, I would agree. But this is a new era and it's a guard dominated league now.

I've seen Ayton play, and at his peak he'll be another KAT type: 20/10 with 2 blocks and low or non existent assist numbers. A really solid player that puts up nice numbers, but one that won't win you many games unless he's surrounded by a lot of talent. I'm not sold that him and Devin Booker can change life in Phoenix, you'll most likely get another Wiggins-KAT scenario, prior to Jimmy Butler joining the team.

Yeah. I like Doncic as much as anyone, but it's a wait ans see thing for me. I think for sure he will be solid and won't bust. He's been playing against people older and more mature physically since he was a young teen. The nba is just the next step and I don't think he'll be overwhelmed since he's been adjusting to the competition his whole life. I just don't know how good he'll be until I see him until he's in the nba.

TheDish87
05-21-2018, 08:43 AM

non of this is relevant. hes not the best player in the draft.

zn23
05-21-2018, 10:30 AM
non of this is relevant. hes not the best player in the draft.

What I posted proves he's the best player in the draft. If you're arguing about fit, then I agree he's not the best fit for certain teams.

TheDish87
05-21-2018, 10:57 AM
how did you prove anything?

JesusNYY_Savior
05-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Kings, Hawks Likely To Pass On Luka Doncic?
May 20th, 2018 at 8:07pm CST by Chris Crouse
Luka Doncic isnít sure heíll come stateside to play in the NBA next season, as he tells ESPNís Jonathan Givony. ďI will tell about all at the right time. Right now I just want to celebrate with my team. Soon I will tell,Ē the prospect said following Real Madridís win in the Euroleague Championship.

Doncic is in the conversation for the No. 1 pick, held by Phoenix, though he is not the favorite to go at that spot. The Kings and Hawks follow the Suns in the draft and Givony hears that both teams are likely to pass on the young wing. The scribe spent the weekend in Belgrade along with several NBA executives to watch Doncic in a game in which he scored just 15 points before fouling out late in the fourth quarter.

Sacramento and Atlanta may each look to add a long-term piece in the frontcourt with their top pick. It was previously reported that the Kings arenít overly-impressed with their current bigs.

ďThey have a real hole there in the frontcourt. I donít think that theyíre in love with Willie Cauley-Stein by any means. They started Zach Randolph at the four all year long,Ē Givony previously reported. ďWhat do they do there? Do they go with Marvin Bagley who is going to be a compelling prospect for them?

Givony wonders whether a team will trade up into the top three to select Doncic and suggests without a trade occurring, the 19-year-old could drop to No.4 or No.5, picks held by Memphis and Dallas, respectively.

I don't understand this report at all, he is in the conversation for Phoenix but not for the Kings or Hawks. How could arguably the two worst teams in the league have no interest, when he is at this moment the best player in the class.

GREATNESS ONE
05-21-2018, 12:22 PM
I don't understand this report at all, he is in the conversation for Phoenix but not for the Kings or Hawks. How could arguably the two worst teams in the league have no interest, when he is at this moment the best player in the class.

Lmao thatís why theyíre the two worst teams in the league.

TheDish87
05-21-2018, 12:34 PM

i feel like hes only being discussed tot he Suns bcuz of the coach connection. there are plenty of reason to pass on this dude in the top 3.

BostonBoy
05-21-2018, 12:35 PM
The accomplishments are nice but how much have you actually watched Doncic play? He wonít be a bust but ďbest player in the draftĒ is a complete stretch. His footwork is really slow and heís not that great of a shooter. Sure, the numbers look pretty in 24 minutes and itís easy to try to extrapolate those numbers out to the NBA, but I think his limited athleticism is really going to prevent him from being a star. I canít name a guy with Doncicís athleticism that was a star and was under 6í10Ē. Maybe Steve Nash I guess?

I donít blame the Kings/Hawks if they pass on Doncic. I would take Michael Porter Jr., Mo Bamba, and Wendell Carter over Doncic. Those 3 guys will have worse numbers the first couple of years than Doncic since Doncic is ready to play in the NBA already, but those other guys will be better long term.

ewing
05-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the reminder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesusNYY_Savior
05-21-2018, 01:09 PM
The accomplishments are nice but how much have you actually watched Doncic play? He wonít be a bust but ďbest player in the draftĒ is a complete stretch. His footwork is really slow and heís not that great of a shooter. Sure, the numbers look pretty in 24 minutes and itís easy to try to extrapolate those numbers out to the NBA, but I think his limited athleticism is really going to prevent him from being a star. I canít name a guy with Doncicís athleticism that was a star and was under 6í10Ē. Maybe Steve Nash I guess?

I donít blame the Kings/Hawks if they pass on Doncic. I would take Michael Porter Jr., Mo Bamba, and Wendell Carter over Doncic. Those 3 guys will have worse numbers the first couple of years than Doncic since Doncic is ready to play in the NBA already, but those other guys will be better long term.

Its a draft class dominated by bigs which are useless in the new NBA. And I will admit that I have only seen his highlights reel but that more then enough to form an opinion on him. And to me I would say he has a floor of Danilo Gallinari and the potential to be the best player in the draft class.

tredigs
05-21-2018, 01:11 PM
i feel like hes only being discussed tot he Suns bcuz of the coach connection. there are plenty of reason to pass on this dude in the top 3.

Plenty of reasons? Let's hear them.

JesusNYY_Savior
05-21-2018, 01:19 PM
The only weakness I have seen/read is he lacks athleticism so separation against NBA caliber defenders could be a problem. He was recently shut down by Thanasis Antetokounmpo who was a second round pick and washed out of the league in two years. Also teams are afraid of possible attitude problems which may be problem in the locker room. However, the attitude problem will likely be remedied with maturation.

TheDish87
05-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Its a draft class dominated by bigs which are useless in the new NBA. And I will admit that I have only seen his highlights reel but that more then enough to form an opinion on him. And to me I would say he has a floor of Danilo Gallinari and the potential to be the best player in the draft class.

bigs are useless in todays NBA? tell that to Embiid, Horford, Towns, Davis, Capella, Cousins, etc

FlashBolt
05-21-2018, 04:00 PM
He shouldnt be eligible for the ROY this upcoming season because of the advantage he has playing in the toughest non nba league in the world while all these other guys played against trash. Clearly he is now more NBA ready and thus has a massive advantage going forward.

Yes, that is true. On the other hand, he took a route that was available for him while Ben was simply just injured. I'm curious as to whether or not you think a year playing alongside your teammates, getting to know the NBA environment, getting elite treatment, etc., has an impact on someone. If you let me tag along Warren Buffett, don't you think we'd all learn something? So why is it not likely Ben has learned an exhorbant amount even though he never played?

TheDish87
05-21-2018, 04:28 PM
who played last year? sure wasnt Ben.

FlashBolt
05-21-2018, 04:32 PM
who played last year? sure wasnt Ben.

So I guess Ben never practiced with his teammates last season. That's what you're telling me?

JesusNYY_Savior
05-21-2018, 04:49 PM
bigs are useless in todays NBA? tell that to Embiid, Horford, Towns, Davis, Capella, Cousins, etc

No thanks, I'll just count the rings that JaVale McGee, Zaza Pachulia, Timofey Mozgov, and a geriatric Tim Duncan have.

FlashBolt
05-21-2018, 05:28 PM
No thanks, I'll just count the rings that JaVale McGee, Zaza Pachulia, Timofey Mozgov, and a geriatric Tim Duncan have.

Bigs are only useless if they are incorrectly used. Embiid would make any team massively better and so would a guy like Davis, Capella, Gobert if used properly. McGee+Pachulia+Mosgov won rings as seat warmers. Not sure if you're remotely being serious.

JesusNYY_Savior
05-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Bigs are only useless if they are incorrectly used. Embiid would make any team massively better and so would a guy like Davis, Capella, Gobert if used properly. McGee+Pachulia+Mosgov won rings as seat warmers. Not sure if you're remotely being serious.

Those are the players they got playing time at Center of the past 5 NBA champions. If your team is built around a big your team will be fundamentally flawed. Go ask Memphis how bully ball is treating them.

FlashBolt
05-21-2018, 05:46 PM
Those are the players they got playing time at Center of the past 5 NBA champions. If your team is built around a big your team will be fundamentally flawed. Go ask Memphis how bully ball is treating them.

You said they were useless. That's a completely different message compared to what you just said. I agree, I wouldn't build around a big as my first option. But that's not what YOU said originally.

Wrigheyes4MVP
05-21-2018, 06:28 PM
Anyone who thinks the Kings would pass on Doncic is insane. Vlade and Peja are basically running the Kings basketball operations and they are gonna pass on the best Euro prospect maybe ever? No chance.

He won't get past the Kings at #2. The only question is if Phoenix will take him over Ayton. I say no. As a Kings fan, as much as I am intrigued by Doncic, I would rather have Ayton as a player to build around moving forward. I like the idea of Fox and Ayton as cornerstone players moving forward.

Wrigheyes4MVP
05-21-2018, 06:42 PM

I think you are underrating KAT. I also think you are underrating elite big men in general. Anthony Davis and Joel Embiid are two other big men who helped lead their team to the playoffs.

I think in the end there are two key things that a big man needs to be able to do in order to thrive in today's NBA.

1) They need to be able to shoot. Having a big who can knock down some 3's and stretch the floor is key. They also need to make their free throws. I don't think an Andre Drummond type is someone you want to build around in this league. I think Ayton certainly fits this mold. He can shoot the ball very effectively for a big man.

2) They need to be an anchor defensively. Protecting the rim is a big part of that, but it also now means being able to defend competently on the perimeter on switches. This league has become all about using switches to get favorable matches against big men who can't keep up with quicker guards who can also shoot 3's. So your big men need to be able to defend on the perimeter or they'll get exposed defensively. I think Ayton has the potential to fill this requirement. There certainly some questions here about his defensive awareness and things like that, but he has the physical tools to both defend the rim and defend guards on the perimeter competently.

I think Ayton fills both requirements of a new age big enough so to take him with the #1 pick. Remember, all the other prospects have their own question marks too. Ayton has an incredible combination of size, length, and offensive skill. I think the defensive end is where the most development needs to take place. KAT isn't a bad comparison at all, but I think KAT has also proven to be a solid #1 pick.

mrblisterdundee
05-21-2018, 11:04 PM
I think the Suns take him first. They'd have an awesome wing lineup between Booker, Doncic and Jackson. Get a better big in free agency.

beasted86
05-21-2018, 11:24 PM
Vlade will take him easily if the suns don't. I can see arguments where people don't believe he is worth the hype due to some limitations. Suns will give him a hard look with the new coach having experience coaching him and the gm on the hot seat almost and needing to win now. Vlade has that adriatic/euro bias in him that will make him lean that way if things are close between a prospect.

Doncic is riskier that Ayton for sure.

The recipe is mostly simple and has been pretty consistent. The elite-elite of the NBA in recent 20 years are mostly supreme athletes, defenders, or special shooters or a combination.

Doncic won't be a star defender or athlete. So you're mostly banking your entire future on his shooting. Ayton has the shooting and athlete potential, and a slim chance at defender. The trifecta.

JAZZNC
05-22-2018, 08:46 AM
I strongly disagree... The rule is irrelevent there is certain creteria one must reach to be considered a rookie.

-Must be drafted the year of the award regaurdless of play time
-Must play in the US with no oversea leagues allowed.
-Must be under the years of 20 but over the age of 12
-Must be on a **** team and score a certain amount of Points on 40 shots a game
-Must be drafted by a Western conference team only because playing in the East is unfair
-Must be from a top school while getting far in the NCAA tourney
-Must be humble and say all the right things with no showboating
-Cannot be a ginger
-Cannot play for any team that openly tanked and or tanks
-Must pass the eye test stats be damned
-Must get the seal of approval here on PSD

If a rookie follows all of these then they are in fact the ROY and there is no debate about it.

You're such a douche sometimes.

TheDish87
05-22-2018, 08:49 AM
So I guess Ben never practiced with his teammates last season. That's what you're telling me?

yes thats what im telling you. he had a serious foot injury that he was rehabbing from. Unless you wanna count the few summer leagues games he played. i dont even think injured players are allowed to practice.

Firefistus
05-22-2018, 12:35 PM
If I were the Suns, I would trade the number 1 pick to the Kings for the number 2 and Willy Cauly Stein. They get a stud Center, who the Kings won't need anymore, and they'll still get Doncic, who I'm sure they are eyeing closely.

There's no way the Kings front office wouldn't take this deal. Knowing the way the Kings are, they'd probably give the Suns 2 more picks for that number 1 spot.

TheDish87
05-22-2018, 01:27 PM
why would the Suns pass on Ayton to add Cauley-Stein?

Firefistus
05-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Because they would still get the number 2 pick. Doncic is someone that has actually been coached by Kokoskov, it's been reported that they are looking for a center this off-season and are willing to pay Capella max money. If they're that desparate for a center I have a feeling they aren't looking at Ayton for number 1. So if you're looking at the number 2 pick trade down and give yourself more assets.

If you like Doncic that much, then you should be striking up a deal with the Kings.

TheDish87
05-22-2018, 02:10 PM
I dont think they are so desperate to overvalue and overpay lower ceiling players. i feel like Ayton is such a no brainer for the Suns

BKLYNpigeon
05-22-2018, 02:45 PM
Suns should just draft Doncic and Sign Capella.