PDA

View Full Version : How would a Kobe/LeBron tandem fair?

Wes_Craven
05-19-2018, 10:39 AM
How successful could a Kobe/LeBron duo be? Would they be the GOAT pairing? In comparison, could they have been better than:

Shaq/Kobe?
MJ/Pippen?
Steph/KD?

And say we give them comparable teammates to the 2000's Lakers & 90's Bulls. How would a team of:

Rozier
Kobe
Lebron
Tristan(prefer rebounding)/Mirotic(prefer spacing)
Noel

Wonder what are some of your opinions on this and possibly what type of team/players you would put around these two.

Jamiecballer
05-19-2018, 11:30 AM
They would need Pop to co-exist

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

TrueFan420
05-19-2018, 11:49 AM

Neither of them could handle Pop treating them like everyone else. Their egos would get in the way and they'd last shorter than Kobe and Shaq cause they occupy more of the same space.

mrblisterdundee
05-19-2018, 11:55 AM
I think they would win some ships.

ewing
05-19-2018, 12:24 PM
They would be fantastic. The only question is could they co-exist long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GREATNESS ONE
05-19-2018, 01:00 PM
They would need Phil to co-exist

This

Chronz
05-19-2018, 01:39 PM

Nah Kobe always felt he and bron would mesh seamlessly and he was right. They tore up the Olympics

Chronz
05-19-2018, 01:39 PM
They would be fantastic. The only question is could they co-exist long term

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kobe would get tired after 5 finals and never winning fmvp

crewfan13
05-19-2018, 02:03 PM
I think they would be just fine. Itís really no different than Lebron with wade or Kyrie. While they donít exactly fit perfectly on offense, you can almost do a your turn/my turn situation where one essentially gets a few possessions to do their thing while the other can play off the ball and almost rest a bit. As long as they are both okay with that, they both actually probably improve defensively just by being able to give more effort.

I also think career stage plays a big part in the potential longevity. If itís a version of Kobe whoís just past the Shaq days and wants to be the guy, then it might not work very long. If itís a version of Kobe whoís a few years post Shaq and hasnít really tasted victory again, then heís more open. And if itís a young, early career Lebron, then that Lebron probably develops slightly different. Probably plays more like a pf a little more often (but still does a lot of stuff that Lebron has always done.) he probably spends a little more time as a screener and maybe develops his set and shoot 3pt shot a little better earlier as well.

flea
05-19-2018, 02:48 PM
Great, Kobe is the 2nd most well-rounded guard ever. It's like asking if any star could co-exist with Duncan or Jabbar. Of course they could. It's only a serious problem matching with Lebron if you play the same position as him (point guard). And of course you automatically get worse as his teammate but Kobe could handle being the whipping boy - he was Shaq's.

Quinnsanity
05-19-2018, 10:52 PM
It would just be a better version of the LeBron-Kyrie pairing, especially on defense, since the two could conserve so much energy on offense with the other that they'd be able to unleash everything defensively. It'd probably end the same way Bron-Kyrie ended though, with one of them wanting out.

Jeffy25
05-19-2018, 11:02 PM
Wouldn't co-exist very long, but would win chips as long as they were willing to.

No way Kobe would share the spot light with LeBron. They'd have to have a common enemy to make them work together to beat (like the current Warriors) that they were determined to beat.

Vee-Rex
05-19-2018, 11:27 PM
I agree that it would be a better version of Kyrie and Bron.

And I think together they would destroy the league. LeBron could play off-ball and Kobe could be a helluva passer when he wanted, unlike Kyrie.

GREATNESS ONE
05-20-2018, 12:07 AM
If they had Phil.

6-peat.

FlashBolt
05-20-2018, 03:30 AM
Kyrie and Bron won one vs a stacked Warriors squad. Pretty sure Kobe+Bron gets it done a few times. But it depends on what stage of their careers they are at. Kobe was a young buck trying to prove he can win without Shaq while Bron went through 7 seasons of lame teammates and decided he had enough of it. Most players towards the end of their career tend to regret not teaming up with other greats but their egos likely came in the way of them actually doing it at their prime.

KingstonHawke
05-20-2018, 04:00 AM
They would be better than MJ and Pippen, which is pretty amazing if in the right circumstances. Honestly, they pretty much would be MJ and Pippen except Pippen would have taken the same steroids that Captain America did.

FlashBolt
05-20-2018, 04:12 AM
They would be better than MJ and Pippen, which is pretty amazing if in the right circumstances. Honestly, they pretty much would be MJ and Pippen except Pippen would have taken the same steroids that Captain America did.

They are better than MJ/Pippen but let's not underestimate the value of Phil there. He was the perfect coach for that team.

MRSpock
05-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Great. Would it blow up after 5 years? Probably. But while it lasted, I think their games would mesh amazingly, and like someone already mentioned this was very apparent during the Olympics.

GREATNESS ONE
05-20-2018, 10:25 AM
They are better than MJ/Pippen but let's not underestimate the value of Phil there. He was the perfect coach for that team.

:clap:

burtgummer
05-20-2018, 10:49 AM
Would have to build a much larger stadium just to hold their egos

KingstonHawke
05-20-2018, 12:06 PM

I agree with you 100%. I was just on another thread discussing the triangle offense and how it really took advantage of Jordan and Kobe's amazing ability to score on the low block.

Jamiecballer
05-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Nah Kobe always felt he and bron would mesh seamlessly and he was right. They tore up the OlympicsAnd then in the very next post you make a tongue in cheek comment that you know has an awful lot of truth to it

Chronz
05-20-2018, 01:18 PM
And then in the very next post you make a tongue in cheek comment that you know has an awful lot of truth to it

I feel like timing is everything. If you're there first, sometimes you just get to wear the batman Cape. Like I honestly think harden has always been better than Russell, but he was the one forced to ride the pine until it came time to close and he took over pg duties. I just remember being like why don't yall just reverse the roles. Manu and tp to a lesser degree too

europagnpilgrim
05-20-2018, 02:04 PM
How successful could a Kobe/LeBron duo be? Would they be the GOAT pairing? In comparison, could they have been better than:

Shaq/Kobe?
MJ/Pippen?
Steph/KD?

And say we give them comparable teammates to the 2000's Lakers & 90's Bulls. How would a team of:

Rozier
Kobe
Lebron
Tristan(prefer rebounding)/Mirotic(prefer spacing)
Noel

Wonder what are some of your opinions on this and possibly what type of team/players you would put around these two.

Shaq and Kobe were about as good a pairing outside of probably Jordan / AI / Oscar / Magic / Zeke with a Jabbar / Wilt, all players at their apex would be something to see

Lebron / Kobe would probably be better than Pipp / Jordan due to the fact Kobe is basically a mirror image with more natural range on his shot, and Bron is a better scoring version of Pippen and jack of all trades, but its close and would go with either combo

Kobe and Lebron would be better than a KD / Steph duo, but then again I wouldn't be mad at either combo

that team would be dangerous because of the mentality of Kobe and Bron, one wants to get his shot and the other wants to get his mates involved and get his shots, and the defense of that team would be versatile and suffocating if they all decided to do it for the betterment of the entire team, team defense that is

To me as I stated any of the supreme Combo guards mixed with a Wilt / Jabbar / Shaq / DRob / Dream / Duncan / KG etc. / dominant big are the ideal way to build a team from scratch, but others may view it differently and go 2 frontcourts over what I prefer, ala Twin towers model or backcourt like Warriors did here recently

a Lebron / Wilt would be something to see, 2 runaway trains, unstoppable forces

I wish Oscar would have been younger when Jabbar / Alcindor was there, that would have been at least 2 - 3 titles for both players, easily at their apex

europagnpilgrim
05-20-2018, 02:08 PM
I feel like timing is everything. If you're there first, sometimes you just get to wear the batman Cape. Like I honestly think harden has always been better than Russell, but he was the one forced to ride the pine until it came time to close and he took over pg duties. I just remember being like why don't yall just reverse the roles. Manu and tp to a lesser degree too

I knew you like to pick and choose what you actually see on the court, all semantics aside

of course Harden was on that level or higher than Russ, KD use to give Harden the ball in crunch time, Harden would get at times 30 off the bench with those other two

I wonder why in the hell can you see something this basic on this end but act like you don't have a clue about the other guy we go back and forth on

c'mon Chronzy boy, cut out the semantics

that word makes you sound way too smart for something this common sense basic

I am telling semantics to.....StandDown

lets just stick to the facts of what happened on the court, and I always felt Harden was on that level or better than Russ, just not athletic wise, but he had the better natural shot coming in and 9yrs later still does, to me watching those games I always felt KD respected / trusted Harden more over Russ, especially in crunchtime

europagnpilgrim
05-20-2018, 02:12 PM

Kobe had Phil has well, so how does coaching come into play?

hugepatsfan
05-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Lebron would have used his all around game to make Kobe more efficient as a scorer. It would be pure harmony for a few years. It'd just be a race of Kobe's ego being bruised at the advanced stats pointing to Lebron as better even though he would score more and Lebron's ego getting bruised over fans naturally gravitating towards Kobe's scorer mentality over his all around game.

Jamiecballer
05-20-2018, 03:50 PM
This

reported biotch

Bostonjorge
05-20-2018, 05:09 PM
If itís 1996 and Kobe/Lebron both come in out of high school then they need to build this type of line up. Of course no Shaq who stays in Orlando or goes wherever. He will be the the main piece in the way to a Championship. Phill still comes 3 years later. They fail 3 times until Phill arrives.

C. Campbell (Really big body)
PF. Rodman (no Shaq maybe he stays)
SF. Eddie Jones (great defender)
SG. Kobe
PG. James
6th Van Exel
Fisher
Fox
Horry
Richmond(old shooter)

Lakers are big enough to match the twin towers with James playing his ďNFL safetyĒ role. Triangle needs a back to the basket player, bottom of Key Shaq, or mid to top of key Jordan/Kobe. Get the ball in the key will always collapse the defense for shooters. They have great defenders and instant offensive on the bench to.

3 years to win and stay winning. Kobe would pass Jordan as the Goat. James will be the best team player ever.

Sanjay
06-04-2018, 02:15 AM
If itís 1996 and Kobe/Lebron both come in out of high school then they need to build this type of line up. Of course no Shaq who stays in Orlando or goes wherever. He will be the the main piece in the way to a Championship. Phill still comes 3 years later. They fail 3 times until Phill arrives.

C. Campbell (Really big body)
PF. Rodman (no Shaq maybe he stays)
SF. Eddie Jones (great defender)
SG. Kobe
PG. James
6th Van Exel
Fisher
Fox
Horry
Richmond(old shooter)

Lakers are big enough to match the twin towers with James playing his ďNFL safetyĒ role. Triangle needs a back to the basket player, bottom of Key Shaq, or mid to top of key Jordan/Kobe. Get the ball in the key will always collapse the defense for shooters. They have great defenders and instant offensive on the bench to.

3 years to win and stay winning. Kobe would pass Jordan as the Goat. James will be the best team player ever.

I am a Laker fan, but Kobe the GOAT?

ChrisDudley
06-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Kobe would easily be the alpha and if LeBron accepted it, they'd win a lot of rings.

If LeBron pulled a 2011 and refused to accept being 2nd in line, they couldn't coexist.

That LeBron ball BS wouldn't fly; dribbling out the clock and making bailout passes when a high percentage shot is unavailable would lead to some serious problems.

Bostonjorge
06-06-2018, 01:33 AM
I am a Laker fan, but Kobe the GOAT?
Iím a NBA fan, and yes Kobe would of been unanimously the Greatest Of All Time.

Eg714
06-06-2018, 04:13 AM
Imagine if lakers offered Shaq for lebron boozer kapono and draft picks. The lakers might of won 7 or 8 straight. Kobe would be the goat no doubt with lebron having a chance to pass him up.

IKnowHoops
06-06-2018, 12:11 PM
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Chronz
06-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Kobe would easily be the alpha and if LeBron accepted it, they'd win a lot of rings.

If LeBron pulled a 2011 and refused to accept being 2nd in line, they couldn't coexist.

That LeBron ball BS wouldn't fly; dribbling out the clock and making bailout passes when a high percentage shot is unavailable would lead to some serious problems.

They lost in part because bron deferred too much. It's why never year wade told him to take over the team

JLynn943
06-07-2018, 11:52 AM
Kobe and LeBron would be an insane pairing. Obviously pairing two top talents like that is great, but their games would mesh extremely well. I don't know if there's a modern player that would be a better pairing with him.

FlashBolt
06-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Imagine if lakers offered Shaq for lebron boozer kapono and draft picks. The lakers might of won 7 or 8 straight. Kobe would be the goat no doubt with lebron having a chance to pass him up.

Cavs wouldn't take anyone for LeBron. It was obvious Shaq in 2004 was heading downwards and quick. Lakers tried offering a prime Kobe for a young 22 year old LeBron and Cavs ended discussions there. LeBron was the most prized asset in the NBA during that time.

Funny someone said LeBron would be 2nd to Kobe. That's false. Don't mistake Kobe being the 1st option scorer as the leader of the team. It would be up to Kobe to have enough faith in LeBron to dictate who gets which shots. Kobe simply demanding the ball and having Bron play secondary is a recipe for disaster. But let's be honest here: This pairing is not even top 10 on my list even today because Kobe is not a bigger star than LeBron but he pretends he is. That's going to cause more friction than it should compared to other tandems. LeBron+KD is the absolute perfect pairing along with LeBron+AD. LeBron+Kobe? They'll win but it won't be as great of a fit as other players.

Bostonjorge
06-08-2018, 05:49 PM
Kobe got 81 with no one setting him up for good shots. With James court vision, 81 point games will be the norm for Kobe. Like that 63 after 3 quarters would of been 63 at half time. Kobe will have multiple 50 point average season especially in the rape case season. James would make Kobe the GOAT. James will catch Stockton as the assists leader.

The same way Coach K used them in team USA.

Jeffy25
06-08-2018, 05:57 PM

This dudes funny.