PDA

View Full Version : Triangle Offense

GREATNESS ONE
05-18-2018, 12:44 PM
I just wanted to see what everyone thought about the Triangle. Do you think it can succeed in todayís NBA and which players do you think (playing now) could flourish in the offense? A lot of teams run a variation of the triangle as itís meant to create spacing. So...

Can the Triangle work today?

Which players do you think would succeed?

Prime Phil and Prime MJ dropped into the league (letís say Bulls roster) does it succeed?

GREATNESS ONE
05-18-2018, 03:28 PM
Joel Embiid
Khris Middleton
Dario Saric
James Harden
Anthony Davis
CP3
Kristaps Porzingis

Are some of the player now that I believe would flourish playing in the triangle.

Cal827
05-20-2018, 02:32 AM
I would say that Lauri Markkanen would also flourish in the system. As would KAT. Most face-up big men who are decent passers probably would love the system :laugh2:

I also think Kyle Lowry would do well in the system, since he's small/quick and could be able to get through the screens on an adjusting triangle and get an open shot. Kind of a poor man's Paul in this system.

I think this system would basically mean curtains for any team defending a prime Chris Paul, and that's just b/c of the many youtube vids saying he'd destroy the NBA in the system :laugh2:

KingstonHawke
05-20-2018, 04:21 AM
Definitely, but you need the right players.

Kobe and Jordan were so good at running it because they weren't just smart but they were as good facing the basket as they were with their back to the basket in the low post. That's a huge part of the triangle.

With a lot of the shooting bigs I'm suprised I haven't seen more of it. While Shaq is so amazing he'd look good in almost any offense, you don't really need someone like him. Any quality low post threat that can also hit a faceup jumper would work. Dirk would've been perfect.

You also need a PG and forward that can catch and shoot. When Klay first came in the league I wanted him and Steph (had no ideas they'd end up being this good) traded to the Lakers because they were the perfect two players to play in that triangle with Kobe.

Honestly, on paper, Carmelo and Porzingis has the perfect skillset to be great in the traingle. I think it's the reason Phil took Porzingis when everyone wanted him to take someone else instead. Carmelo just wants to iso all day every day instead of making use of his versatility.

If Philly was to trade Simmons to the Knicks for Porzingis, and then sign LeBron James. They would have the perfect personel for the triangle.

Chronz
05-20-2018, 12:31 PM
The focal point has to be able to dominate from either the low post , pinch and mid post, if they can shoot from distance adequately then they can be utilized in the offense to greater effect. That's why you need kawhi. I'd be great to have kd but I love kawhi passing game more and hes a mans man. After that the secondary option should share a different post strength how Pau was to Kobe and Kobe was for shaq. The post is dead but if you can get a big or small down low, the other players just have to have energy cutting and intelligent passing. A guy like smart wouldn't be a bad role player but prolly better off finding a Fisher clone. Idk who that is. Dario Saric could be the corner man, the Robert Horry/odom here. You don't need a traditional pg but you can work them in, its just youre running less triangle. If Drummond could just get a post game he has the passing skills to thrive, he'd be a great 3rd guy in the Bynum role, going for a lesser talent you prolly just grab current Pau.

I got

Middleton (find someone like this)
Korver (klay is too rich)
Kawhi
Saric
Pau or Drummond

Of course if you add Curry or AD the offense just gets better by virtue of sheer talent but I've focused on the primary tenants of the triangle. Although it's prolly time to scrap the offense or augment it to where its prolly no longer the triangle. Iirc, the original triangle didn't stress pinch post action quite as much as it did during mj n Kobe days. Wilt wasnt doing all that lol, maybe it was Chet those days, honestly don't have much footage anymore and can't remember the differences between the 2 triangles they ran in the 60s

Scoots
05-21-2018, 11:09 AM
The key to me is having smart unselfish players. The ball and players need to buy in and move crisply to where they are supposed to be. It's complex so it takes years to install it, but the real issue is there is no reason to limit yourself to the triple-post. The Warriors mix it with Princeton and (Suns) D'Antoni and pace and space and straight old set plays from 50 years ago and plays stolen from Stevens.