PDA

View Full Version : Klay Thompson discussing Extension w/ Warriors

BKLYNpigeon
05-11-2018, 12:42 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2775542-klay-thompson-contract-rumors-warriors-discussing-long-term-deal-with-sg

Pretty good deal for the Warriors if the numbers are right. 5 years 121 million.

Dade County
05-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Klay needs more then that... Also the Splash Brothers, I would hope play their entire careers together.

I never thought he would leave GS/Curry, so they need to pay him closer too 185mil.

BKLYNpigeon
05-11-2018, 12:50 PM
thats 25m less the Andrew Wiggins lol

Jetsguy
05-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Why would he sign for so little? He has already won go get paid!

Cal827
05-11-2018, 12:56 PM
Is the contract maybe because of the cap hit? I know a lot of people were saying that the contract offers aren't going to be as ballooned as they were in the season.

Edit: NVM, they can pay him what he want's as their resigning him.. Jesus that's a bargain contract these days if those numbers stick :laugh2:... He's making about 100m less than Harden's deal.

IndyRealist
05-11-2018, 01:00 PM

He's taking a discount to keep the team together. And considering if push came to shove everyone pretty much agrees he'd be the one to go, I think it's probably the right choice, assuming the Warriors don't turn around and trade him anyway.

dhopisthename
05-11-2018, 01:00 PM
I changed the title. he hasn't signed anything yet and thats what the title implied.if he took a paycut it would a huge deal because it means that they can keep the core 4 guys.

COOLbeans
05-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Amen. That man should be a lifelong Warrior not only because he wants to be, but because he deserves it. Heís done everything asked of him and has maximized his potential as a player. He needs to take a discount and I hope he understands that

COOLbeans
05-11-2018, 01:04 PM

Heís not greedy? Thompson grew up with money. And he has a different set of core values than other guys. Hence Stephs willingnous to accept that massive discount to stay in the bay even though he couldíve gotten more from the Warriors if he put the screws in or threatened to leave.

His father also has made good investments for himself in his career, and I donít think a salary is the only way to make money in the Bay Area. So many business opportunities to negotiate with given the ownerships connections to Silicon Valley and big business.

BKLYNpigeon
05-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Klay making 80m from Anta. I'm sure he can take a discount.

Vinylman
05-11-2018, 01:12 PM
I changed the title. he hasn't signed anything yet and thats what the title implied.if he took a paycut it would a huge deal because it means that they can keep the core 4 guys.

they can keep em together regardless ... its just a question of how much LT they want to pay

Burkey3472
05-11-2018, 01:18 PM
At this point its not about money, he has plenty of money that will last him a lifetime. It's really about either him having a better opportunity to win and taking a discount with the warriors or going somewhere else for more money but more importantly being "the guy" and crafting your own legacy. I'd probably stay put if I were him too.

Vinylman
05-11-2018, 01:30 PM
All I will say on this is that he needs to get a NTC or he is an idiot...

Additionally, he needs to get as many opt outs as possible as you never know what can happen with teams 6 years from now... that is a LONG commitment

HandsOnTheWheel
05-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Leaving 50 million on the table? Wtf. I wonder if they're going to try to get this done before the start of next FA to try and pressure KD into taking less again

KnicksorBust
05-11-2018, 01:40 PM
I am always curious how much extra money a player gets in endorsements and other career opportunities being on a championship team. Like how much money is he REALLY losing by staying on a dynasty and guaranteeing himself a Hall of Fame career?

Vinylman
05-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Leaving 50 million on the table? Wtf. I wonder if they're going to try to get this done before the start of next FA to try and pressure KD into taking less again

ding ding ding....

and el douche (Draymond) also

Scoots
05-11-2018, 01:57 PM
Klay is a different kind of dude.

I also wonder how much he's going to earn in those years investing in the owners venture capital suggestions?

Scoots
05-11-2018, 01:58 PM
ding ding ding....

Draymond took a discount on his current contract too. I have no doubt he'll make big money I bet he takes a similar discount ... if Klay signs at those numbers anyhow.

Vinylman
05-11-2018, 02:03 PM
Klay is a different kind of dude.

I also wonder how much he's going to earn in those years investing in the owners venture capital suggestions?

If he is like his dad then yes... that was always the rap on his dad that he was to laid back coming from the Bahamas and why he never lived up to his number one draft position.

As a Laker fan he was very frustrating at times especially against teams like the Pistons

Vinylman
05-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Draymond took a discount on his current contract too. I have no doubt he'll make big money I bet he takes a similar discount ... if Klay signs at those numbers anyhow.

we will see... I expect them all to take discounts but to be honest if they do it without opt outs and NTC's they are fools

The other thing that I think will be interesting is to see how the NBAPA reacts to it.... they don't like guys signing for less than their value.

GoferKing_
05-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Huge respect for Klay.

Jeffy25
05-11-2018, 03:09 PM

$120 million is getting paid....even if there is more out there, he is in a great spot.

I wouldn't leave it.

BKLYNpigeon
05-11-2018, 03:16 PM
All I will say on this is that he needs to get a NTC or he is an idiot...

Additionally, he needs to get as many opt outs as possible as you never know what can happen with teams 6 years from now... that is a LONG commitment

Curry reupped for 5 years, Im sure KD is signing a long term deal as well.

GSW GM Bob Meyers has a good relationship with the players. He's not savage like Ainge.

TrueFan420
05-11-2018, 03:17 PM
$120 million is getting paid....even if there is more out there, he is in a great spot.

I wouldn't leave it.

The article says he's thinking about a 4 year 92 million. Which would be an epic deal for the warriors.

I suspect most of us on here have never made this type of money so it's impossible to fathom leaving that much on the table. He comes from money, has already signed for big money, has played a huge role in reshaping this franchise and is making very very good money off the court.

TrueFan420
05-11-2018, 03:19 PM

GSW GM Bob Meyers has a good relationship with the players. He's not savage like Ainge.

Myers use to be an agent as well which plays a role

AntiG
05-11-2018, 03:27 PM

LOL its become insanity when people are saying that he is signing for too little when his contract is for 24+ million a year.

numba1CHANGsta
05-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Do you guys feel Klay is underrated or overrated? its weird cuz guys like Beal/McCollum/DeRozan are getting paid close to max deals but they aint superstars like a LeBron/KD. I feel Klay falls im that category as of Beal/McCollum but isnt a superstar but will still get paid like one even with the discount. Max deals are being thrown around like crazy and either the cap is going to increase dramatically or there will be an increase of teams being stuck with bad contracts.

Saddletramp
05-11-2018, 03:43 PM
Why even have a salary cap if your owner can just hook half of your salary up with his tech buddies? This **** is starting to ruin the NBA.

tucksoe
05-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Why even have a salary cap if your owner can just hook half of your salary up with his tech buddies? This **** is starting to ruin the NBA.

Ya the Warriors are the only team with rich owners with "tech buddies". What a dumb comment

KG2TB
05-11-2018, 05:15 PM
Amen. That man should be a lifelong Warrior not only because he wants to be, but because he deserves it. Heís done everything asked of him and has maximized his potential as a player. He needs to take a discount and I hope he understands that

Lol he doesnít need to do anything other than whatís in the best interest of him and his family. If thatís taking a pay cut and staying in Oakland than so be it. But he doesnít need to take a discount. He has plenty of options.

Saddletramp
05-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Ya the Warriors are the only team with rich owners with "tech buddies". What a dumb comment

Name Ďem. Also, name instances like Iguodala last year, KD talking about it and this Klay situation where thatís a huge consideration.

Stop trolling, tough guy.

HandsOnTheWheel
05-11-2018, 05:44 PM
ding ding ding....

Yup. It's g State's way of saying to KD to put his money where his mouth is after he came out recently with saying that Warriors would be taking advantage of him if he took another pay cut. Puts the onus on KD rather than the FO in extending Klay

COOLbeans
05-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Name Ďem. Also, name instances like Iguodala last year, KD talking about it and this Klay situation where thatís a huge consideration.

either Draymond or Durant have Google commercials. The proof is in the pudding

Chronz
05-11-2018, 06:11 PM
***** made

Chronz
05-11-2018, 06:14 PM
I am always curious how much extra money a player gets in endorsements and other career opportunities being on a championship team. Like how much money is he REALLY losing by staying on a dynasty and guaranteeing himself a Hall of Fame career?

For a player like him, prolly best to takethe kd route and ensure success at all costs, the plebeians will not know the difference

Chronz
05-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Territory

tucksoe
05-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Kings and Clippers have billionaire tech owners no?

Saddletramp
05-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Kings and Clippers have billionaire tech owners no?

Donít hear anyone say ďIím going to the Clippers so Balmer can hook me up with an $80 million investment guys.Ē Wait, I thought the Kingís owner was.....somebody totally different. Doesnít matter, what they seem to be doing is pretty clear cut over everything else.

Remember when Cuban got in hot water because he let Rodman stay in his guest house? My have times have changed.

COOLbeans
05-11-2018, 08:02 PM
Outside of the sheer amount of venture investments that they are privy to. Draymond has YouTube/ google endorsements and Durant also has Apple commercials. Not sure any other nba franchise can offer that kind of tech access as apart of a business model.

kobe4thewinbang
05-11-2018, 08:05 PM
Y'all talking discount, lol...he's set to make almost 25 million per season. 121 divided by 5 is 24.2, not including endorsement deals he already has. Father probably has taught him to balance money well from what I last heard.

Allphakenny1
05-11-2018, 08:06 PM

California has to pay some of the highest taxes of any state, which has always been a huge disadvantage to signing players (at least it should be according to posters on PSD). This is just evening the game a bit.

jaydubb
05-11-2018, 08:51 PM
5/121 is a great deal for the warriors. He could get a lot more than that in free agency. For that kind of deal, he should receive a NTC and opt outs after year 3 or so.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Scoots
05-11-2018, 08:52 PM
If he is like his dad then yes... that was always the rap on his dad that he was to laid back coming from the Bahamas and why he never lived up to his number one draft position.

As a Laker fan he was very frustrating at times especially against teams like the Pistons

Klay is really driven, but it's all pointed inward. His biggest issue is that if he's struggling he gets mad at himself.

Scoots
05-11-2018, 08:57 PM
we will see... I expect them all to take discounts but to be honest if they do it without opt outs and NTC's they are fools

The other thing that I think will be interesting is to see how the NBAPA reacts to it.... they don't like guys signing for less than their value.

If Klay makes an all-nba team he'll be eligible for a super max, which means he'd potentially be leaving as much as $70M on the table.

My favorite part is that if the Warriors can somehow get under the tax threshold for 1 minute in 2019-2020 they can make it to the end of Curry's contract without paying the repeater tax.

Saddletramp
05-11-2018, 08:59 PM
California has to pay some of the highest taxes of any state, which has always been a huge disadvantage to signing players (at least it should be according to posters on PSD). This is just evening the game a bit.

Thatís kind of ********, though. Taxes are not unique to the nba.

ewing
05-11-2018, 10:45 PM
. Maybe he just likes it there. Grew up with millions. Now he has millions more. Maybe he has enough money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
05-11-2018, 10:54 PM
If Klay makes an all-nba team he'll be eligible for a super max, which means he'd potentially be leaving as much as $70M on the table.

My favorite part is that if the Warriors can somehow get under the tax threshold for 1 minute in 2019-2020 they can make it to the end of Curry's contract without paying the repeater tax.

Thatís very uninteresting

mrblisterdundee
05-11-2018, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see what Klay can do as the second option on Philadelphia or Milwaukee, but he'll rightly stay with the Warriors. Life is too good there.

Scoots
05-11-2018, 11:05 PM

I think the point was it's not unusual for some teams to have location based advantages over other teams. Some have a business advantage, some have a tax advantage, some have a weather advantage, some have a hot women advantage, some have multiple advantages, some have none.

TrueFan420
05-12-2018, 12:04 AM
Something I think is being missed by those who want Klay to leave,

"Just because I'm not the face of the franchise doesn't mean I'm not recognized for it. Real fans and the people in the organization and my peers around the league, they see the work I've put in and realize I've been a huge component to the success here for the last five, six, seven years, so I have an identity here. It would be hard for me to envision going anywhere else."

Klay is the longest tenured player outside of Curry. He has played a huge role in what we have become. Many of us would like to theorize about how he'd look as a number 1. We're just fans... this is his life. He's spent his a significant amount of time and energy in shaping the team into what it is. Anyone who's done something similar in a different field should understand it's not easy to walk away before its finished.

tredigs
05-12-2018, 12:18 AM
It's a strange feeling having full trust in your teams GM, but Bob Meyers has earned that. Injury changes everything in a sport where stars are everything, but the Warriors are in an incredible spot now and going forward. Thank Curry + Management for that. The most insane turnaround in sports from bottom dweller to juggernaut I've ever seen.

tucksoe
05-12-2018, 02:54 AM
Donít hear anyone say ďIím going to the Clippers so Balmer can hook me up with an $80 million investment guys.Ē Wait, I thought the Kingís owner was.....somebody totally different. Doesnít matter, what they seem to be doing is pretty clear cut over everything else.

Remember when Cuban got in hot water because he let Rodman stay in his guest house? My have times have changed.
Like every billionaire owner can't hook players up with their friends to make a ton of extra money on top of their contract..lol. How did Shaq know to invest in google before it went public ? Hmm

Bowman53
05-12-2018, 03:10 AM
. Maybe he just likes it there. Grew up with millions. Now he has millions more. Maybe he has enough money

He's obviously set for life.

Klay's game is going to age well. I'm betting he will get another nice pay day at 34.

Tg11
05-12-2018, 08:11 AM
With Golden State they are over the cap I mean it isn't like they can sign anyone else look at Curry, Durant and Green's contracts not to mention with this latest contract of Klay's yeah I can't see how they can sign anyone else in the off season

TylerSL
05-12-2018, 09:02 AM
I do believe that Klay wants to stay on the Warriors and that he would be willing to take a pay cut to do so, but I don't believe he would leave that much on the table. The article states that a 4 year, $92 million extension is close to $50 million less than a four year max he could get in the summer of 2019. Thompson is set to make just under $19 million in the final year of his contract, and he could sign for as much as 4 years $139 million in free agency. That is a $47 million difference. I understand that Thompson wants to stay with the team, and make it possible for them to keep the core together, but I can't see him (or any player) willing to take less as a means to save the team tax dollars. Because that's all he would be doing by signing for that little.

The luxury tax was designed so owners would spend less money on players. Players are not going to simply take less money so the owners can have a lower tax bill, not even when they are in a good situation like Thompson. I believe the players association may get involved if they believed his contract might negatively effect a future free agents' market. If he signs the speculated contract this is what he would make

18-19-$19 million
19-20-$21 million
20-21-$22.7 million
21-22-$24.5 million
22-23-$26.45 million

While that's not nothing, that is far less than what worse players will be getting. Even Hassan Whiteside signed for more money two years ago. So therefore I do not see him signing for that little. I believe that he will ultimately sign a four extension worth around $120 million. That's still quite a bit less than a max salary and the Warriors could also bring back Draymond considering they are willing to go further into the luxury.

If Thompson signs a 4 year $120 million extension this is roughly what he would make

18-19-$19 million
19-20-$27 million
20-21-$29.16 million
21-22-$31.5 million
22-23-$34 million

Vinylman
05-12-2018, 10:10 AM

doesn't matter... you can never predict what will happen 5 years from now

Meyers could be dead ... those other guys injured..

etc... etc... etc..

Vinylman
05-12-2018, 10:11 AM

where have you been the last couple of years?

Vinylman
05-12-2018, 10:15 AM

any franchise that helps them do that should be disbanded

mightybosstone
05-12-2018, 11:05 AM

He hasn't maximized his potential as a player, though, and that's what bugs me about this. He's maximized the role he's asked to play in Golden State as a No. 2 or No. 3. But everyone (myself included) wants to know if he's capable of more, capable of being "the guy" on a playoff team. If he signs this extension, we may never the answer to that question, and he's relegating himself to being just a glorified role player for his entire peak.

And ultimately if this what he feels is the best place for him and his family, I'm not going to totally knock him for it. I get that it's hard to jump outside your comfort zone when you're in a place that makes you happy currently. That being said, I'd respect him a lot more if he went out and got a max deal on another team and made that HIS team. Say what you will about Kyrie and the way he forced his way out of Cleveland, but I respect that the hell out of his decision to walk for a chance to be a No. 1 guy somewhere. I just wish Klay would do the same.

Chronz
05-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Meanwhile. Capella gets maxed out

Scoots
05-12-2018, 11:33 AM
I do believe that Klay wants to stay on the Warriors and that he would be willing to take a pay cut to do so, but I don't believe he would leave that much on the table. The article states that a 4 year, $92 million extension is close to $50 million less than a four year max he could get in the summer of 2019. Thompson is set to make just under $19 million in the final year of his contract, and he could sign for as much as 4 years $139 million in free agency. That is a $47 million difference. I understand that Thompson wants to stay with the team, and make it possible for them to keep the core together, but I can't see him (or any player) willing to take less as a means to save the team tax dollars. Because that's all he would be doing by signing for that little.

The luxury tax was designed so owners would spend less money on players. Players are not going to simply take less money so the owners can have a lower tax bill, not even when they are in a good situation like Thompson. I believe the players association may get involved if they believed his contract might negatively effect a future free agents' market. If he signs the speculated contract this is what he would make

18-19-$19 million
19-20-$21 million
20-21-$22.7 million
21-22-$24.5 million
22-23-$26.45 million

While that's not nothing, that is far less than what worse players will be getting. Even Hassan Whiteside signed for more money two years ago. So therefore I do not see him signing for that little. I believe that he will ultimately sign a four extension worth around $120 million. That's still quite a bit less than a max salary and the Warriors could also bring back Draymond considering they are willing to go further into the luxury.

If Thompson signs a 4 year $120 million extension this is roughly what he would make

18-19-$19 million
19-20-$27 million
20-21-$29.16 million
21-22-$31.5 million
22-23-$34 million

If Klay makes an all-nba team he would qualify for a super max contract and then that 4 @ $92M contract would be leaving near $100M on the table.

BKLYNpigeon
05-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Meanwhile. Capella gets maxed out

I wonder if the Rockets will match that reported Max offer coming from the Suns.

Chronz
05-12-2018, 12:01 PM
I wonder if the Rockets will match that reported Max offer coming from the Suns.

They will unless they can get DJ for way cheap and add another piece

mightybosstone
05-12-2018, 12:11 PM

He has to actually sign the offer sheet for the Rockets to have to match. If you were Capela, would you rather play for a few million less to stay in Houston for a team in the conference finals or play for a few million more for one of the worst teams in basketball in Phoenix?

I'm not sure if Morey will offer him a max or not, but I'm sure he's got a solid contract in mind for Clint that will hopefully keep him in Houston for a long time.

BKLYNpigeon
05-12-2018, 01:14 PM
He has to actually sign the offer sheet for the Rockets to have to match. If you were Capela, would you rather play for a few million less to stay in Houston for a team in the conference finals or play for a few million more for one of the worst teams in basketball in Phoenix?

I'm not sure if Morey will offer him a max or not, but I'm sure he's got a solid contract in mind for Clint that will hopefully keep him in Houston for a long time.

I feel like the Rockets will make him wait it out. like what they did to Parsons.

If the Rockets can't get PG or Lebron. then they will probably offer Capella a Contract.

Hopper15
05-12-2018, 01:33 PM
He hasn't maximized his potential as a player, though, and that's what bugs me about this. He's maximized the role he's asked to play in Golden State as a No. 2 or No. 3. But everyone (myself included) wants to know if he's capable of more, capable of being "the guy" on a playoff team. If he signs this extension, we may never the answer to that question, and he's relegating himself to being just a glorified role player for his entire peak.

And ultimately if this what he feels is the best place for him and his family, I'm not going to totally knock him for it. I get that it's hard to jump outside your comfort zone when you're in a place that makes you happy currently. That being said, I'd respect him a lot more if he went out and got a max deal on another team and made that HIS team. Say what you will about Kyrie and the way he forced his way out of Cleveland, but I respect that the hell out of his decision to walk for a chance to be a No. 1 guy somewhere. I just wish Klay would do the same.

I always felt his ball handling and passing is not good enough to be a number one option on a good team.

BKLYNpigeon
05-12-2018, 01:58 PM
I always felt his ball handling and passing is not good enough to be a number one option on a good team.

Klays never been that and does not what to be that type of player. he knows his role, im sure he's happy with it.

kobe4thewinbang
05-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Plus, he's got a hell of a chance to win a handful of championships if he stays. Already has 2, most likely another one this season, and who knows how long this core can stay on top. That, and 24.2 million per year, lol...what's not to like.

FlashBolt
05-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Klay grew up rich and will end up rich regardless. I don't think money is on his mind as much as comfort. With that being said, I'd like to see him be the 1st option on a team.

BKLYNpigeon
05-12-2018, 02:24 PM
Klay's a California Kid. Im sure doesn't want to play in any other state.

Bowman53
05-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Klay grew up rich and will end up rich regardless. I don't think money is on his mind as much as comfort. With that being said, I'd like to see him be the 1st option on a team.

I don't need see him average 25 on some bottom feeder.

TrueFan420
05-12-2018, 03:44 PM

He hasn't gotten paid yet so I guess it depends on the difference in the offers and if Harden and CP3 start including him in their State Farm commercials.

nastynice
05-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Klay making 80m from Anta. I'm sure he can take a discount.

Warriors biggest bargaining chip right there. Keeping splash broís together and being part of a constant contender/favorite is getting him paid in so many other ways, it def helps even out a lot of money he would leave on the table with the contract

Iíll never hate on a player for going after more money, Iíd do the same, but we seem to have a situation where him being here gets him so much money and exposure in other ways, Iím sure even strictly numbers wise a discount deal here will put more money in his pocket than full deals other places

nastynice
05-12-2018, 04:02 PM
we will see... I expect them all to take discounts but to be honest if they do it without opt outs and NTC's they are fools.

Not at all. Warriors fo relations with their players are very strong.

Thatís why they didnít offer curry anything but the max, kd will soon get that too. The only no reason kd is taking discounts is because he trusts the fo

nastynice
05-12-2018, 04:03 PM

lol

All the other owners are barely scraping by, apparently..

nastynice
05-12-2018, 04:07 PM
But they certainly affect bottom line numbers in the nba..

COOLbeans
05-12-2018, 04:21 PM

I don't think Klay's that guy though. When he first got into the league, he had a lot of glaring flaws. His rookie season was kind of rough imo. But he impoved a lot going into that years summer league, where he looked like a bonafide NBA player, and the competition looked like rookies or D league. He dominated that summer Remember, Klay wasnt a top 10 pick and he went to Washington.

Klay wasn't supposed to be an allstar (or an alltime great shooter). He put in the work and earned that reputation. He's maximized his potential as far as skills go, but perhaps not legacy like you're saying.

COOLbeans
05-12-2018, 04:31 PM
I don't need see him average 25 on some bottom feeder.

Amazing how these dudes on perrennial losing teams (no championships in past 25 years will suffice) want to see a guy thats been busting their *** go to another team, and break up the splash brothers.

tredigs
05-13-2018, 09:39 AM
This article discussed it some, but Klay is extremely invested in his place in this organization and being a foundational piece of a team that went from bottom dweller to the best in the world. He's a splash brother. Luigi leaving Mario? Come on now.

KingPosey
05-13-2018, 10:15 AM

I wouldnít say Draymond took a discount, he just didnít get a Max deal.

Scoots
05-13-2018, 10:18 AM
This article discussed it some, but Klay is extremely invested in his place in this organization and being a foundational piece of a team that went from bottom dweller to the best in the world. He's a splash brother. Luigi leaving Mario? Come on now.

He's also got his spot in the team totally fixed. They totally accept his oddities and don't even ask him to step outside of them. If he went somewhere else they would want him to be a different person.

Thinking about Klay moving makes me wonder about Kawhi. If he goes somewhere and is paid $200M that team will want him not only to be star on the floor, but they'd want him to be the public face of the franchise too.

Scoots
05-13-2018, 10:22 AM
I wouldnít say Draymond took a discount, he just didnít get a Max deal.

They had his contract written as a max deal and he opted to give some back, then, as an aside, immediately gave millions to his alma mater. And I heard it said that it was Draymond who really sold KD and sold KD on taking the discount last year.

I do wonder what the team can do to get under the tax for 1 minute in 2019-2020. I don't see a way they can do it, but I'm certain they are working on it, and I'm certain they are working with the players on how to do that and not cost their players monetarily in the long term.

BKLYNpigeon
05-13-2018, 10:54 AM
If the NBA Gambiling goes through, It would be a Huge Revenue Stream for the League.

It would give every team an extra 20m to spend.

Vinylman
05-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Not at all. Warriors fo relations with their players are very strong.

Thatís why they didnít offer curry anything but the max, kd will soon get that too. The only no reason kd is taking discounts is because he trusts the fo

no one is arguing against the current FO... in 5 years who knows who will be where and what the situation will be.

BKLYNpigeon
05-13-2018, 11:29 AM
no one is arguing against the current FO... in 5 years who knows who will be where and what the situation will be.

you can say the same for every team.

Vinylman
05-13-2018, 11:29 AM
If the NBA Gambiling goes through, It would be a Huge Revenue Stream for the League.

lolololololol

spoken like a non-gambler

tredigs
05-13-2018, 11:45 AM

You mean the hilarious plea by silver to request a percentage of every ticket? That will never, ever happen. Not sure where you're getting that 20mm number either.

But brb about to go gamble on the NBA.

warfelg
05-13-2018, 11:54 AM
I guess my issues with players taking less than they could get stems back to another sport in about 2003-04 area.

Red Sox made a trade for Alex Rodriguez, and it was under the condition that he reworked his contract where they added 2 years, lowered his pay by $6mil a year. MLBPA threw a hissy fit and got the trade reversed saying we can't have a league where a player leaves money on the table because financially it hurts other players.

Ever since then I have been very jaded about a player who would easily get the max on the open market taking less than the max, because now every team has a reason to say "Player X is better than you and not making the max, so we don't feel like we need to play the max". Now part of the problem with the NBA is teams don't do that with average players, so it hurts that ability.

I could rant for so long but the financial system in the NBA is almost as broken as it was in the NHL before they took a year off.

Scoots
05-13-2018, 01:44 PM

The "plan" last time I heard it had no chance of working.

Scoots
05-13-2018, 01:46 PM
I guess my issues with players taking less than they could get stems back to another sport in about 2003-04 area.

Red Sox made a trade for Alex Rodriguez, and it was under the condition that he reworked his contract where they added 2 years, lowered his pay by $6mil a year. MLBPA threw a hissy fit and got the trade reversed saying we can't have a league where a player leaves money on the table because financially it hurts other players.

Ever since then I have been very jaded about a player who would easily get the max on the open market taking less than the max, because now every team has a reason to say "Player X is better than you and not making the max, so we don't feel like we need to play the max". Now part of the problem with the NBA is teams don't do that with average players, so it hurts that ability.

I could rant for so long but the financial system in the NBA is almost as broken as it was in the NHL before they took a year off.

The flip side is that the "max" rule actually made most of the players making the max a lot of money they would not have made before the max rule existed.

Heediot
05-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Balance and harmony is they key in life. It's good that Klay is making choices that lean closer to to those things.

Vinylman
05-13-2018, 03:32 PM
you can say the same for every team.

sigh... which is why having a NTC and opt outs is important for players... you are the one assuming nothing will change which is rarely the case over a 5 year period

goingfor28
05-13-2018, 03:35 PM
Seems like way too much money for him imo

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

nastynice
05-13-2018, 05:28 PM

I'm saying that strong relation with the fo is why this may not be a priority to him.

likemystylez
05-13-2018, 06:35 PM
He's taking a discount to keep the team together. And considering if push came to shove everyone pretty much agrees he'd be the one to go, I think it's probably the right choice, assuming the Warriors don't turn around and trade him anyway.

LMAO- The cap friendly contract just makes him more attractive for other teams though.

mightybosstone
05-14-2018, 10:39 AM
I don't think Klay's that guy though. When he first got into the league, he had a lot of glaring flaws. His rookie season was kind of rough imo. But he impoved a lot going into that years summer league, where he looked like a bonafide NBA player, and the competition looked like rookies or D league. He dominated that summer Remember, Klay wasnt a top 10 pick and he went to Washington.

Klay wasn't supposed to be an allstar (or an alltime great shooter). He put in the work and earned that reputation. He's maximized his potential as far as skills go, but perhaps not legacy like you're saying.

This is the second time I've had a Warriors fan use a player's draft position in an argument. Why is that relevant? The guy was picked 11th, only four slot behind where Curry was picked in his draft. And look around the league, dude. The NBA is stacked with star players who outperformed their draft position. Kawhi (15), Giannis (15), Jokic (41), Butler (30), DeRozan (9), Gobert (27), Mitchell (13) and George (10) were all picked lower than 8th.

nastynice
05-14-2018, 11:50 AM
This is the second time I've had a Warriors fan use a player's draft position in an argument. Why is that relevant? The guy was picked 11th, only four slot behind where Curry was picked in his draft. And look around the league, dude. The NBA is stacked with star players who outperformed their draft position. Kawhi (15), Giannis (15), Jokic (41), Butler (30), DeRozan (9), Gobert (27), Mitchell (13) and George (10) were all picked lower than 8th.

Iíve mentioned it before when talking about what a great job the fo has done and how they all grew together as a team, everyone outperforming expectations together and because of one another

Just to clarify

mightybosstone
05-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Iíve mentioned it before when talking about what a great job the fo has done and how they all grew together as a team, everyone outperforming expectations together and because of one another

Just to clarify

I feel like in both cases in the last week, though, Warriors fans were specifically trying to downplay the quality of their talent specifically because of where they were drafted. As if their draft position was somehow prevented those guys from being star players. I can't remember the context specifically of the other post, but I just find it really odd.

Players outperform their draft positions all the time. Just because Klay was drafted 11th doesn't mean he's not capable of being a No. 1 on a playoff team. If that was the case, then the same should be said for all of those other guys I just mentioned. You can't tell me that Kawhi, Giannis, George and Butler aren't capable of being No. 1 guys on playoff teams, because I've literally seen them do it. And they were all drafted 10th or lower.

Jeffy25
05-14-2018, 06:06 PM
I feel like in both cases in the last week, though, Warriors fans were specifically trying to downplay the quality of their talent specifically because of where they were drafted. As if their draft position was somehow prevented those guys from being star players. I can't remember the context specifically of the other post, but I just find it really odd.

That was nasty, the guy you are talking to

I never said Curry is a better player, or has a better legacy, or any of that. I said if I'm starting a team, gimme curry, cuz I want rings.

He lead a team to 73 wins with what, an 11th pick, a second rounder, a consensus bust in bogut. That's impressive,amd it's all because of what curry allows us to do. Then we added one more ingredient, our one legitimate prodigy type talent, and now became the same thing except for the playoffs, not reg season

mightybosstone
05-14-2018, 06:17 PM
That was nasty, the guy you are talking to

Yeah, exactly. He's trying to knock the talent around Curry to make him seem like he's dragging a group of nobodies to the finals. I could so easily do that with Harden....

"James is dragging a 33-year-old No. 2 past his prime, a 25th pick from Switzerland, an undersized 2-guard who everyone thought was washed up and a bunch of 3 and D wings who are lucky if they top double digits on a given night to the WCF."

It's all in the way you frame the information. But does Clint being a 25th pick make him less valuable? Hell no. Does the fact that Paul is 33 or past his prime not still make him one of the five best PGs in the league? Certainly not. And the fact that Ariza, Mbah a Moute and Tucker are 3 and D guys or that Gordon was considered washed up in New Orleans doesn't mean they aren't playing at a high level in Houston or aren't still extremely valuable pieces on a championship contending team.

nastynice
05-14-2018, 09:03 PM
Yeah, exactly. He's trying to knock the talent around Curry to make him seem like he's dragging a group of nobodies to the finals. .

lmao, why would I care to do that? What possible benefit does that give me??

Warriors are so good because we are a great fit and play as a team. Thatís a very diff formula than say the Heatles, who were just a mash up of top end elite raw talent.

Is this seriously not a legitimate point?

You got some other argument going on in your guys heads that Iím just unaware of here...and Iím thinking it is of the same nature as how anytime a warriors fan compliments an opponent we get attacked for it

Chronz
05-14-2018, 09:58 PM
lmao, why would I care to do that? What possible benefit does that give me

Lmao. You really can't figure out any possible motive? I'm gonna lose respect for you if you plead this much ignorance. The motives for fanboys are clear as day.
No you're team isn't doing anyof that, they're literally underachieving but have so much talent (far more than the heatles) that they can win despite subpar effort.

Chronz
05-14-2018, 10:00 PM

Harden had lots of flaws, he smoothed out his edges by accepting the challenge. Klay has forfeited. He hasn't maximized anything, even with the skills he does have. Imagine finding out just how great your shooting can make a team. Instead he's relegated himself to an afterthought

COOLbeans
05-14-2018, 10:21 PM

Players outperform their draft positions all the time. Just because Klay was drafted 11th doesn't mean he's not capable of being a No. 1 on a playoff team. If that was the case, then the same should be said for all of those other guys I just mentioned. You can't tell me that Kawhi, Giannis, George and Butler aren't capable of being No. 1 guys on playoff teams, because I've literally seen them do it. And they were all drafted 10th or lower.

You are literally putting words into my post. I never mentioned his draft position to downplay their talent. Please take a look at my post again. I spoke about Klay being picked 11th to clarify your perspective on Klay Thompsonís potential as a basketball player. Heís reached it.

Heís gone far beyond what anyone thought heíd be as a player. He is not an alpha, Kobe Bryant type of player. Heís a great 2nd or 3rd option. I know this because Iíve watched far more Warriors basketball than you. And I also gave you other reasons for why your opinion is off base. No he should not go to another team to be the man. Heís just fine here in Oakland.

COOLbeans
05-14-2018, 10:24 PM
Harden had lots of flaws, he smoothed out his edges by accepting the challenge. Klay has forfeited. He hasn't maximized anything, even with the skills he does have. Imagine finding out just how great your shooting can make a team. Instead he's relegated himself to an afterthought

I understand that. However, Klays not great on the drive. And his handle is suspect. He doesnít have great playmaking skills and he is not vocal leader. He also makes questionable decisions.

Heís a less physical Kawhi with a better jumper and even perhaps a slightly lower B.B. IQ. Though we donít even know Leonard outside of the Spurs system either, Iím not sure if Iíd want him as my primary guy on an up and coming team either

Chronz
05-14-2018, 10:49 PM
I understand that. However, Klays not great on the drive. And his handle is suspect. He doesnít have great playmaking skills and he is not vocal leader. He also makes questionable decisions.

Heís a less physical Kawhi with a better jumper and even perhaps a slightly lower B.B. IQ. Though we donít even know Leonard outside of the Spurs system either, Iím not sure if Iíd want him as my primary guy on an up and coming team either
Yes, many areas to grow into, sadly he chose optimization rather than test his potential.

Way lower bbq. Kawhi had to study endless reels of tape on chuck n mj on how to handle doubles, how .to create your own. Hell dude had to work on just becoming a great set shooter (something klay always had down), he's the antithesis of Klay in that not onlydid he exceed expectation, but upon reaching that level, challenged himself to go even further. Klay will never knowwhat he could have done, he's happy merely winning.

I know of stars who won chips but knew they didn't perform as well as they have in defeat, klay literally doesn't care. You can either admire his honesty or condemn his lack of competitive fervor. Idc, I just know he hasn't fulfilled ****, he never even got a chance to see what he could do

COOLbeans
05-14-2018, 11:17 PM
Yes, many areas to grow into, sadly he chose optimization rather than test his potential.

Way lower bbq. Kawhi had to study endless reels of tape on chuck n mj on how to handle doubles, how .to create your own. Hell dude had to work on just becoming a great set shooter (something klay always had down), he's the antithesis of Klay in that not onlydid he exceed expectation, but upon reaching that level, challenged himself to go even further. Klay will never knowwhat he could have done, he's happy merely winning.

I know of stars who won chips but knew they didn't perform as well as they have in defeat, klay literally doesn't care. You can either admire his honesty or condemn his lack of competitive fervor. Idc, I just know he hasn't fulfilled ****, he never even got a chance to see what he could do

I think youíre from LA. Did James Worthy realize his potential? Because based off what youíre saying he didnít. And if memory serves me, Worthy is a superior player to Klay Thompson

mightybosstone
05-14-2018, 11:47 PM
You are literally putting words into my post. I never mentioned his draft position to downplay their talent. Please take a look at my post again. I spoke about Klay being picked 11th to clarify your perspective on Klay Thompsonís potential as a basketball player. Heís reached it.

Heís gone far beyond what anyone thought heíd be as a player. He is not an alpha, Kobe Bryant type of player. Heís a great 2nd or 3rd option. I know this because Iíve watched far more Warriors basketball than you. And I also gave you other reasons for why your opinion is off base. No he should not go to another team to be the man. Heís just fine here in Oakland.

But there's no reason why the guy couldn't be a No. 1, except for the fact that he's too much of a wuss to give it a shot somewhere else. He's holding himself back from improving as a player. He's not even the second best guy in Golden State. He's the fourth best. He's a glorified role player who gets third or fourth billing, when he could be the star on a good team.

There's something to be said for being comfortable and happy and winning titles. And while I understand it, I don't necessarily respect it a ton either, not when he's at his peak and he could be forging his own path somewhere.

nastynice
05-15-2018, 12:14 AM
Lmao. You really can't figure out any possible motive? I'm gonna lose respect for you if you plead this much ignorance. The motives for fanboys are clear as day.
No you're team isn't doing anyof that, they're literally underachieving but have so much talent (far more than the heatles) that they can win despite subpar effort.

I really canít. If the warriors win, they win. Thatís all that matters. What diff does it make if itís within the context of being stacked vs having 1 guy carry them? How does one benefit me more than another?

Chronz
05-15-2018, 12:20 AM
I think youíre from LA. Did James Worthy realize his potential? Because based off what youíre saying he didnít. And if memory serves me, Worthy is a superior player to Klay Thompson
Haha good point. I was actually thinking of worthy as I wrote that so I respect the comparison. But to answer your q, yes. I'm one ofthe few that grades nique higher because of what I know about them as players facing the hardest task

Chronz
05-15-2018, 12:22 AM
I really canít. If the warriors win, they win. Thatís all that matters. What diff does it make if itís within the context of being stacked vs having 1 guy carry them? How does one benefit me more than another?
I don't believe you but the angles are clear to others not infatuated with your team

Chronz
05-15-2018, 12:23 AM
But there's no reason why the guy couldn't be a No. 1, except for the fact that he's too much of a wuss to give it a shot somewhere else. He's holding himself back from improving as a player. He's not even the second best guy in Golden State. He's the fourth best. He's a glorified role player who gets third or fourth billing, when he could be the star on a good team.

There's something to be said for being comfortable and happy and winning titles. And while I understand it, I don't necessarily respect it a ton either, not when he's at his peak and he could be forging his own path somewhere.
It's fun for a year but going this far down in productivity is beneath the greats. He knows his place.

nastynice
05-15-2018, 12:48 AM
I don't believe you but the angles are clear to others not infatuated with your team

lmao, whatever floats your boat

You do recognize me as they guy saying #teamstacked happily and proudly for 2 years now, right?

Scoots
05-15-2018, 12:54 AM

Klay is his own hardest critic, he is just quiet about it. And he works his *** off, he just isn't asked to do the things Kawhi needed to do for his team.

Chronz
05-15-2018, 01:14 AM
Klay is his own hardest critic, he is just quiet about it. And he works his *** off, he just isn't asked to do the things Kawhi needed to do for his team.

How can you be asked to do things you never challenged yourself to improve? Keep in mind who brought up kawhi. Him being his harshest critic is a contrivance, if that were true then hes not really listening to himself, or he wouldn't hold so many of the same weaknesses from day 1, aspects that someonelike l kawhi corrected even when his team asked so little of him.

It's one thing to say he improved, but if you never test your abilities ala harden and kawhi, then you can't say you realized your potential. You never have yourselfthe chanceto find out

TheDish87
05-15-2018, 10:11 AM
lol Klays potential is HOF and one of the best shooters of all time, but hey maybe he doesnt realize that? who cares if he doesnt wanna go lead a crap team on his own? hes not built to be a teams star player anyway.

likemystylez
05-15-2018, 10:20 AM
It's fun for a year but going this far down in productivity is beneath the greats. He knows his place.

How long did James worthy stay with the lakers? How long did Mchale stay along side larry bird? How long did pippen stay with Jordan? How long did Elgin Baylor stay along side Jerry West? I realize these players are better than Klay- but nobody really knocks their careers about it.

likemystylez
05-15-2018, 10:22 AM
lol Klays potential is HOF and one of the best shooters of all time, but hey maybe he doesnt realize that? who cares if he doesnt wanna go lead a crap team on his own? hes not built to be a teams star player anyway.

or maybe he wants to play in a system that gets him good shots and allows him to play off the ball as well as he does. Imagine that wanting to work for an employer that allows you to do what your good at doing.

warfelg
05-15-2018, 10:36 AM
How long did James worthy stay with the lakers? How long did Mchale stay along side larry bird? How long did pippen stay with Jordan? How long did Elgin Baylor stay along side Jerry West? I realize these players are better than Klay- but nobody really knocks their careers about it.

How much money (at the time) do you think they left on the table to make that happen? I would bet not that much.

likemystylez
05-15-2018, 10:52 AM
How much money (at the time) do you think they left on the table to make that happen? I would bet not that much.

I just dont know when it became such a damning character trait for a player to have winning as a higher priority than personal achievement

COOLbeans
05-15-2018, 11:17 AM
I just dont know when it became such a damning character trait for a player to have winning as a higher priority than personal achievement

when people got really really sensitive. And the internet allows every random fan to voice their opinions on multiple forums. IMO, alot of times people dont even know where they get their information or ideas since their is so much information and opinions out there. I dont even think people wholly form their own opinions anymore.

nastynice
05-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Klay will make more money as a warrior, heís not giving anything up. Heís making $80million off a shoe deal. He wouldnít get contracts like that on another team

This is whatís making things even more unfair :)

Scoots
05-15-2018, 11:32 AM
It may be that not every person ties their self worth up with their bank account, and maybe $300M is enough money.

warfelg
05-15-2018, 11:33 AM
when people got really really sensitive. And the internet allows every random fan to voice their opinions on multiple forums. IMO, alot of times people dont even know where they get their information or ideas since their is so much information and opinions out there. I dont even think people wholly form their own opinions anymore.

I got mine from when the ARod to the Red Sox deal was rejected because he reworked the deal for slightly lower money and the MLBPA got mad that he was taking less than he earned.

TheDish87
05-15-2018, 11:52 AM
or maybe he wants to play in a system that gets him good shots and allows him to play off the ball as well as he does. Imagine that wanting to work for an employer that allows you to do what your good at doing.

exactly. no other team in the league can offer him a better role on the court.

likemystylez
05-15-2018, 01:28 PM

thanks for clearing that up.... I think it came around the same time the word masculine developed a negative connotation

nastynice
05-15-2018, 01:33 PM
exactly. no other team in the league can offer him a better role on the court.

Yup

Built from the ground up :nod:

WestCoastSportz
05-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Is Thompson really worth a max contract? I don't think so. He's probably the 4th best player on this team behind Durant, Curry and Green. Green may not be the shooter that Thompson is, but he does a lot more to help this team win games. We're talking $35M a year for a guy that nearly exclusively camps out behind the 3 point line? If he goes to another team, he's not going to be a first option. For a guard, you don't give max money to a player like that. For bigs, yes, because they're rebounding and protecting the rim also. What does Thompson really do well? Catch and shoot. He also plays a little defense. People talk about him being this tremendous, lock down defender, but I think he's a overrated defender. How many NBA Defensive teams has he made? ZERO. Not even a second team. It seems only Thompson fans seem to think he's a "great" defender. I think he's a good defender and borderline "very good" but thats about it.

Go ahead and list your top 10 players in the league and I highly doubt Thompson makes it. Make your top 20 and Thompson may or may not be on it. He's not on mine.

nastynice
05-15-2018, 02:12 PM
At worst heís very good. Iíd say great just because his versatility is sick, allows us to switch easily which is our main strength on defense

Chronz
05-15-2018, 03:24 PM

Already explained how I was consistent in valuing worthy. Tho even with him, he was at one point at least his team's second best player behind magic. Klay is even further down that pecking order in terms of importance.

McHale had an mvp caliber year and again the team's co star but even Larry bird would tell you he underachieved. Klay took that 2 levels further.

COOLbeans
05-15-2018, 10:03 PM
At worst heís very good. Iíd say great just because his versatility is sick, allows us to switch easily which is our main strength on defense

Heís one of the best wing defenders in the league. A top 3 defender at his position

WestCoastSportz
05-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Don't get me wrong. Thompson fits into this system like a glove and he's excelling. He's a necessity for what the Warriors are running. I think he knows that. He knows that he's in the right situation to be a good player for a long time. He doesn't strike me as a guy that doesn't know who he is.

likemystylez
05-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Already explained how I was consistent in valuing worthy. Tho even with him, he was at one point at least his team's second best player behind magic. Klay is even further down that pecking order in terms of importance.

McHale had an mvp caliber year and again the team's co star but even Larry bird would tell you he underachieved. Klay took that 2 levels further.

Nothing wrong with putting winning and the strength of the team over personal achievement. Its odd how so many fans here attack a player for having this mindset..... LOL it should be viewed as a positive trait shouldn't it??

COOLbeans
05-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Nothing wrong with putting winning and the strength of the team over personal achievement. Its odd how so many fans here attack a player for having this mindset..... LOL it should be viewed as a positive trait shouldn't it??

With all this tanking going on, people have developed loser mentalities.

You and I can relate to this right? Lol

likemystylez
05-16-2018, 04:38 PM
With all this tanking going on, people have developed loser mentalities.

You and I can relate to this right? Lol

I actually dont think thats why people are attacking klay for this. I think most people honestly do believe its a breath of fresh air- but those people want the warriors broken apart so bad, they dont appreciate any decision anybody makes that leads to the warriors staying together or perhaps even adding more talent

COOLbeans
05-16-2018, 04:44 PM
I actually dont think thats why people are attacking klay for this. I think most people honestly do believe its a breath of fresh air- but those people want the warriors broken apart so bad, they dont appreciate any decision anybody makes that leads to the warriors staying together or perhaps even adding more talent

Yeah youíre probably right

Chronz
05-20-2018, 09:34 PM

There's a balance and a challenge to the sport because we've sense so many decades play out. Not all players fall in line, sometimes the price for that sacrifice is never knowing if you sold yourself short and therefore slide down the rankings

Jeffy25
05-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Yeah, exactly. He's trying to knock the talent around Curry to make him seem like he's dragging a group of nobodies to the finals. I could so easily do that with Harden....

"James is dragging a 33-year-old No. 2 past his prime, a 25th pick from Switzerland, an undersized 2-guard who everyone thought was washed up and a bunch of 3 and D wings who are lucky if they top double digits on a given night to the WCF."

It's all in the way you frame the information. But does Clint being a 25th pick make him less valuable? Hell no. Does the fact that Paul is 33 or past his prime not still make him one of the five best PGs in the league? Certainly not. And the fact that Ariza, Mbah a Moute and Tucker are 3 and D guys or that Gordon was considered washed up in New Orleans doesn't mean they aren't playing at a high level in Houston or aren't still extremely valuable pieces on a championship contending team.

yup, but that's Nasty key argument tactic.

FlashBolt
05-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Warriors fans have managed to convince themselves that KD is not that great as to make themselves feel better about Curry's status in the league. That's some sick, twisted, and disgusting stuff.

TrueFan420
05-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Warriors fans have managed to convince themselves that KD is not that great as to make themselves feel better about Curry's status in the league. That's some sick, twisted, and disgusting stuff.
Please show me one post where a warrior fan says KD is not that great, cause I guarantee you can't. And saying Curry is better than KD is not saying KD isn't great.

nastynice
05-21-2018, 07:35 PM
lmaooo, oh God, we gonna deteriorate and spiral down that path again!

I'm a Warriors fan. Why would I trash kd? lol, the guy is on the Warriors. So is Curry. So is Klay, Draymond, etc etc. What the hell difference does it make who you guys think is the best? Hell, some people think draymond is the best, great, more power to you. He's on the Dubs, I could care less what your pecking order of this squad is