PDA

View Full Version : Knicks of the 90s Vs. Pacers of today

ODB13
05-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Debate from another thread that I thought merited its own. Who ya got and why?

GREATNESS ONE
05-09-2018, 01:16 PM
90s Knicks. Easy peasy, Ewing would do work.

These Era conversation are so difficult to make, those 90s teams would be so much better with all the advantages these teams and athletes have today.

ODB13
05-09-2018, 01:27 PM

These Era conversation are so difficult to make, those 90s teams would be so much better with all the advantages these teams and athletes have today.

I believe there exists some advanced analytics that make these teams comparable. Do you buy it?

lakerfan85
05-09-2018, 01:34 PM
The key to the series would be Herb Williams..

ODB13
05-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Let's say the 92 and 93 Knicks.

ewing
05-09-2018, 01:50 PM
I believe there exists some advanced analytics that make these teams comparable. Do you buy it?

no

Chronz
05-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Lmao. Wat?

Ewing sucked as a star but the team was historic defensively

nastynice
05-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Obviously Knicks. It was just a misunderstanding. Even the guy who originally made that claim back tracked

oak2455
05-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Lmao. Wat?

Mason and Oakley yup

ewing
05-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Lmao. Wat?

He lead teams to a good deal of success as the best player on both sides of the ball. What I'm saying is he wasn't MJ but he wasn't CP3.

Chronz
05-09-2018, 04:28 PM
2 words. Ewing theory

blams
05-09-2018, 04:31 PM

These Era conversation are so difficult to make, those 90s teams would be so much better with all the advantages these teams and athletes have today.Wrong. This is a better and more difficult era. Hand checking wouldn't change much but the illegal defense rule made it so much easier offensively back in the day

Players are more talented and versatile now than ever as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Heediot
05-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Wrong. This is a better and more difficult era. Hand checking wouldn't change much but the illegal defense rule made it so much easier offensively back in the day

Players are more talented and versatile now than ever as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Easy to score my ***. Teams are still putting 110 plus consistently in the playoffs this year and last.

BGeer091
05-09-2018, 04:44 PM
What a disrespectful thread. Take out Jordan and The Knicks most likely win 2 or 3 titles. Comparing them to a team that has done nothing is straight b.s.

Ewing theory?? Look up the players opinions on Ewing... Shaq cried over Ewing saying he can't believe the disrespect he got. The greats all appreciated Ewing as one of the best players to play the game.

Ewing quite possibly would be an even better player today then he was then. Oakley as well.

Chronz
05-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Shaq disrespected ewing and the gtown centers in general plenty.

ewing
05-09-2018, 05:18 PM
The Knicks wouldn't know what to do with a modern guard like Robert Pack, I mean Victor Oladipo

Jamiecballer
05-09-2018, 05:37 PM
What pacers of today? The middling team from this season? Were the Knicks of the 90's not a pretty good team?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

R. Johnson#3
05-09-2018, 06:11 PM
If it's a playoff game then I'll take any team to beat the 90's Knicks.

JordansBulls
05-09-2018, 09:07 PM
Pacers of today would lose to the Vancouver Grizzlies.

tredigs
05-09-2018, 09:23 PM
If it's a playoff game then I'll take any team to beat the 90's Knicks.

LOL...here is who they lost to in the 90's:

1990: Bad Boy Pistons in round 2 after beating Bird's Celtics in round 1 (Pistons win the title)
1991: Jordan's Bulls in round 1 (Bulls win the title)
1992: Jordan's Bulls in 7 in round 2 after beating the Bad Boy Pistons in round 1 (Bulls win the title)
1993: Jordan's Bulls in the ECF's (Bulls win the title)
1994: Dream's Rockets in 7 in the NBA Finals (obviously Rockets win the title)
1995: Reggie's Pacers in 7 in round 2 (Pacers lose in the ECF's to Shaq/Penny Magic, who just beat Jordan's Bulls)
1996: Jordan's Bulls in round 2 (Bulls win the title)

Not the easiest run I'd say, ay? They also went on to multiple other ECF's and another Finals. They're one of the better defenses in NBA history.

This actual thread topic/comparison is obviously a joke. Nobody in their right mind would make this argument. The Pacers are not even a top 10 team in the current NBA.

ODB13
05-10-2018, 12:41 AM

1990: Bad Boy Pistons in round 2 after beating Bird's Celtics in round 1 (Pistons win the title)
1992: Jordan's Bulls in 7 in round 2 after beating the Bad Boy Pistons in round 1 (Bulls win the title)
1995: Reggie's Pacers in 7 in round 2 (Pacers lose in the ECF's to Shaq/Penny Magic, who just beat Jordan's Bulls)

Not the easiest run I'd say, ay? They also went on to multiple other ECF's and another Finals. They're one of the better defenses in NBA history.

This actual thread topic/comparison is obviously a joke. Nobody in their right mind would make this argument. The Pacers are not even a top 10 team in the current NBA.

Jeffy25 says those Knicks teams would be easy outs in the playoffs in today's East and that the East of today is comparable to this era you describe.

What are your thoughts on these opinions?

tredigs
05-10-2018, 12:55 AM
Jeffy25 says those Knicks teams would be easy outs in the playoffs in today's East and that the East of today is comparable to this era you describe.

What are your thoughts on these opinions?
I think that seems very in line with what I would expect his opinion to be.

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 02:14 AM
The Knicks wouldn't know what to do with a modern guard like Robert Pack, I mean Victor Oladipo

Lol, Dipo is better than Robert Pack. Maybe not as vicious and highlighty, but way more effective

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 02:18 AM

I agree with this 100%. My only reservation is just the overall improvement in 3pt shooting and improvement in overall athletic ability. Again from an era perspective I agree. Knicks get killed on these boards...but I remember watching every playoff the bulls and Knicks had. Those were tough games for the Bulls. Refs gave Jordan all the calls too.

tredigs
05-10-2018, 03:21 AM
I agree with this 100%. My only reservation is just the overall improvement in 3pt shooting and improvement in overall athletic ability. Again from an era perspective I agree. Knicks get killed on these boards...but I remember watching every playoff the bulls and Knicks had. Those were tough games for the Bulls. Refs gave Jordan all the calls too.

Yeah, but it's less so an improvement in 3pt shooting (other than phenoms like Curry and Klay who have the rare combo of degree of difficulty + volume + efficiency), and more-so an improvement in the offensive coaching style and implementation of the 3. So yeah, there would be a learning curve to catch up to that and a few other factors in some make-believe h2h. But, talent wise and overall dominance in their league? These two teams? It's a joke comparison.

NYKalltheway
05-10-2018, 04:40 AM
Lol, what the **** is wrong with people today?

NYKalltheway
05-10-2018, 04:42 AM
Pacers of today would lose to the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Hahahaha. For those who don't know, the 90s Vancouver Grizzlies are probably the worst franchise statistically in the history of the league :D And it's probably an accurate statement by JB :D

R. Johnson#3
05-10-2018, 08:17 AM

You make some good points but all the Pacers would have to do is make sure Patrick Ewing gets the ball then just let him brick his own shots. Guys like LJ, Oak and Mason would be ejected or fouled out by halftime while John Starks would have a mental breakdown the second any player got in his ear.

WaDe03
05-10-2018, 09:13 AM
They would beat this Pacers team but not the Pacers teams the Heat had to go through a few years ago.

Chronz
05-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Hahahaha. For those who don't know, the 90s Vancouver Grizzlies are probably the worst franchise statistically in the history of the league :D And it's probably an accurate statement by JB :D
Based on jbs new posting style, id say you just trolled. Vancouver Grizzlies would suck even more today and these Pacers wouldn't suck in that inferior era

D-Leethal
05-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Based on jbs new posting style, id say you just trolled. Vancouver Grizzlies would suck even more today and these Pacers wouldn't suck in that inferior era

My memory is pretty faded but didn't JB used to be a thoughtful poster years ago?

Heediot
05-10-2018, 12:38 PM
How many of y'all thinknthese pavers can beat the grizzlies of half a decade ago?

Chronz
05-10-2018, 12:41 PM
My memory is pretty faded but didn't JB used to be a thoughtful poster years ago?
He got bored

Chronz
05-10-2018, 12:44 PM
How many of y'all thinknthese pavers can beat the grizzlies of half a decade ago?
The grit n grind grizz? They would've thrived in the 90s and did very good against one of the greatest iterations of modern basketball vs the steph centered warriors. They will be one of those underrated cores imo

blams
05-10-2018, 04:05 PM
Easy to score my ***. Teams are still putting 110 plus consistently in the playoffs this year and last.

Teams have stocked up on 3 point shooters because that is the more valuable option over 2's.

Jeffy25
05-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Dude, for the love of God, stop trolling and stop making things up

I said the Knicks of the 90's would be like the Pacers today in the East, a second round exit squad.

And I was specifically referring to the pre-Riley Knicks that Jordan beat

Your obsession with trolling is ridiculous.

ODB13
05-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Dude, for the love of God, stop trolling and stop making things up

I said the Knicks of the 90's would be like the Pacers today in the East, a second round exit squad.

And I was specifically referring to the pre-Riley Knicks that Jordan beat

Your obsession with trolling is ridiculous.

Pre-Riley? Jordan played at least two Riley Knicks teams in the postseason. Have to check on a third. Methinks you weren't much of a fan back then...

ODB13
05-10-2018, 05:17 PM
What does everyone else think of that claim? Would those Knicks be a "2nd round exit squad" in today's East?

Jeffy25
05-10-2018, 05:28 PM
Pre-Riley? Jordan played at least two Riley Knicks teams in the postseason. Have to check on a third. Methinks you weren't much of a fan back then...

It was twice, at the end of Jordan's first three peat, and the Jordanless Bulls took the Knicks to 7 games in 94

ODB13
05-10-2018, 05:33 PM
It was twice, at the end of Jordan's first three peat, and the Jordanless Bulls took the Knicks to 7 games in 94

But the 92 series was a classic that went to 7. The 93 series, Bulls had to come back from down 2-0, and the Knicks had the better regular season record that year.

So what does everyone else think of the claim that those teams would be "second round exit squads" in today's East?

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 05:51 PM
You make some good points but all the Pacers would have to do is make sure Patrick Ewing gets the ball then just let him brick his own shots. Guys like LJ, Oak and Mason would be ejected or fouled out by halftime while John Starks would have a mental breakdown the second any player got in his ear.

Why does Patrick get killed so bad. In his Prime hed be the second best big in the game behind AD. If 76ers would of h him instead of Embiid, they win that series pretty easy

ODB13
05-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Why does Patrick get killed so bad. In his Prime hed be the second best big in the game behind AD. If 76ers would of h him instead of Embiid, they win that series pretty easy

Jeffy25 says the Ewing Knicks would be a second round exit squad. That's pretty darn disrespectful to me, and completely devoid of any coherent historical reasoning. What do you think about that?

bklynny67
05-10-2018, 06:34 PM
ODB you have an unusual urge to continue trolling someone's opinion.

I'll answer your question in hopes that you will STFU.

I disagree with him and think those Knicks would make for a good series against this year's Cavs, and could possibly beat them, then lose in the finals to HOU or GS, just like the winner of the East will do this year.

Now... Please STFU about this.

ODB13
05-10-2018, 06:47 PM

I disagree with him and think those Knicks would make for a good series against this year's Cavs, and could possibly beat them, then lose in the finals to HOU or GS, just like the winner of the East will do this year.

Hahaha I appreciate your candor. More than you know. But this guy needs to be called out for saying utterly ridiculous **** with pomposity. I'll be done soon. Promise.

ewing
05-10-2018, 06:59 PM

He would be the best defensive player in the league and the best big in the NBA today.

ewing
05-10-2018, 07:06 PM

He is trying to say two things at once to cover for how dumb the first one is. First he is says the 90s knicks. OK that refers to the knicks b/t about 92-97 when they were the best defensive team in the league. The team in those years had some different parts but one clear identity and was a title contender. Then he mentions the 90-91 knicks who snuck into the playoffs and lost to the Bulls in the first round and goes "see".

Jamiecballer
05-10-2018, 07:32 PM
What does everyone else think of that claim? Would those Knicks be a "2nd round exit squad" in today's East?Any team that isn't a clear cut conference favorite could realistically go out in the 2nd round. But if we are talking pre-riley what is the point? Those teams were not good. Unless you have an unusual affection for .500 teams.

ODB13
05-10-2018, 08:35 PM
He is trying to say two things at once to cover for how dumb the first one is. First he is says the 90s knicks. OK that refers to the knicks b/t about 92-97 when they were the best defensive team in the league. The team in those years had some different parts but one clear identity and was a title contender. Then he mentions the 90-91 knicks who snuck into the playoffs and lost to the Bulls in the first round and goes "see".

Clearly, that's what's happening. And it's so absurd I needed to call it out on a larger scale. Clearly, he:

1. Started watching basketball recently and wants to talk about using advanced stats, which he can't coherently put in necessary context and,

2. Really, really, really loves LeBron "Bron" James.

The results are hilarious, and he needs to be made aware of it.

tredigs
05-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Clearly, that's what's happening. And it's so absurd I needed to call it out on a larger scale. Clearly, he:

1. Started watching basketball recently and wants to talk about using advanced stats, which he can't coherently put in necessary context and,

This is correct.

Jamiecballer
05-10-2018, 09:03 PM
Damn the mods have really fallen asleep around here.

COOLbeans
05-10-2018, 09:23 PM
What a disrespectful thread. Take out Jordan and The Knicks most likely win 2 or 3 titles. Comparing them to a team that has done nothing is straight b.s.

Ewing theory?? Look up the players opinions on Ewing... Shaq cried over Ewing saying he can't believe the disrespect he got. The greats all appreciated Ewing as one of the best players to play the game.

Ewing quite possibly would be an even better player today then he was then. Oakley as well.

Ewing would be Joel Embiid on steroids with a bbIQ times 20

One Nut Kruk
05-10-2018, 09:29 PM
Those Knicks would take these Pacers to the woodshed.

Jeffy25
05-10-2018, 09:38 PM

No, you just love to misinterpret things and then put them on blast for some strange reason.

I've already stated that 1991 was the first year that I strongly remember watching basketball. I remember the Knicks well.

The Knicks were a great defensive team, but they also were a physically abusive team, which they couldn't be today. They didn't have the floor spacing or the offensive talent to be a true title contender today. As good as Ewing was, he wouldn't be carrying a team to the Finals in this era or in the Eastern Conference. They would be a second round exit squad.

Chronz
05-10-2018, 09:53 PM
This is correct.

What stats?

Chronz
05-10-2018, 09:56 PM
No, you just love to misinterpret things and then put them on blast for some strange reason.

I've already stated that 1991 was the first year that I strongly remember watching basketball. I remember the Knicks well.

The Knicks were a great defensive team, but they also were a physically abusive team, which they couldn't be today. They didn't have the floor spacing or the offensive talent to be a true title contender today. As good as Ewing was, he wouldn't be carrying a team to the Finals in this era or in the Eastern Conference. They would be a second round exit squad.They were built for their eras, or knowledge of the game if you want to look at it that way. Ugly defensive squads tend to grit out wins, these Pacers were grittier than the Raptors if you think about it for this era. All the Knicks would have to do today is trade in either Mason (who could be a poor mans Draymond if you think of him today) or Charles Oakley (defensive beast at C in todays game) to fetch you a floor spacer. Prolly make Starks more of a PG today and voila, they have a more modernized team with a decent star (better than any Pacers currently) in Ewing.

flea
05-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Ewing's Knicks have a good argument as the best team never to win a ring. There are a number of teams in that conversation but I would probably go with the Knicks for the length of their dominance. They were most certainly better than a number of teams that did win rings.

So uh yeah, the Pacers are a nice veteran team with some athleticism in the frontcourt and good coaching but that's about it. Thread is like asking if Barkley's Suns would beat this season's Trail Blazers (actually it's way worse than that). Pointless to even ask.

europagnpilgrim
05-10-2018, 10:12 PM

also to add on what you posted, the Knicks were up 2 - 0 in that 93' series, so they should have had 3 Finals during that 90's run, 94 / 99' they made the Finals

Knicks were like the Bills of that era, not consecutive trips but were always in the mix, battling with the beast of the east back then, Jordan / Heat

ODB13
05-10-2018, 11:09 PM

The Knicks were a great defensive team, but they also were a physically abusive team, which they couldn't be today. They didn't have the floor spacing or the offensive talent to be a true title contender today. As good as Ewing was, he wouldn't be carrying a team to the Finals in this era or in the Eastern Conference. They would be a second round exit squad.

But what we were discussing is level of competition. In the early 90s, the Knicks were built for the era, and they gave the Jordan Bulls a level of competition in the East LeBron has never dealt with, not even close. And that's just one team in the 90s east who gave a greater level of comp.

No one agrees with you because your being the worst kind of homer, and because you are clearly just reading stat sheets.

Again. If I were you. I'd stick to baseball. Comments like these prove how far out of your depth you are.

ODB13
05-10-2018, 11:10 PM
Ewing's Knicks have a good argument as the best team never to win a ring. There are a number of teams in that conversation but I would probably go with the Knicks for the length of their dominance. They were most certainly better than a number of teams that did win rings.

So uh yeah, the Pacers are a nice veteran team with some athleticism in the frontcourt and good coaching but that's about it. Thread is like asking if Barkley's Suns would beat this season's Trail Blazers (actually it's way worse than that). Pointless to even ask.

Best team to never win a ring? That would contradict Jeffy25's crack analysis pretty severely.

Chronz
05-10-2018, 11:16 PM
Best team to never win a ring? That would contradict Jeffy25's crack analysis pretty severely.
Now you guys overrate them. They couldn't win in a 1 star league missing it's greatest star

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 11:21 PM
Jeffy25 says the Ewing Knicks would be a second round exit squad. That's pretty darn disrespectful to me, and completely devoid of any coherent historical reasoning. What do you think about that?

I understand where he is coming from, but I do disagree. That team was a top 5 team in the league, but there were #1 in toughness. Very cerebral group of thugs. Looked like a jailhouse that squad. Skill wise, just skill its close, but when you factor in the other things, the Knicks were a better team and built for playoff basketball.

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 11:22 PM

Lololololololololol

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 11:23 PM
Hahaha I appreciate your candor. More than you know. But this guy needs to be called out for saying utterly ridiculous **** with pomposity. I'll be done soon. Promise.

Haha

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 11:26 PM
He would be the best defensive player in the league and the best big in the NBA today.

Hes not better than AD, but Id give prime Patrick #2 Big. I hate to agree with you but Ewing was a G in the toughest Eras of centers and he got the best of all of them a few times. He was very very good in his absolute prime.

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Damn the mods have really fallen asleep around here.

Hahaha

Jeffy25
05-10-2018, 11:31 PM
But what we were discussing is level of competition. In the early 90s, the Knicks were built for the era, and they gave the Jordan Bulls a level of competition in the East LeBron has never dealt with, not even close. And that's just one team in the 90s east who gave a greater level of comp.

No one agrees with you because your being the worst kind of homer, and because you are clearly just reading stat sheets.

Again. If I were you. I'd stick to baseball. Comments like these prove how far out of your depth you are.

No, you are just a troll, plain and simple.

I can't believe the mods are allowing this still.

IKnowHoops
05-10-2018, 11:35 PM

Mods bleed just like us. Worse trolls than him have been Mods. Hi JB

Chronz
05-10-2018, 11:49 PM
Mods bleed just like us. Worse trolls than him have been Mods. Hi JB
You take that **** back. Modded out JB was a real battle tested sob in this game

ODB13
05-10-2018, 11:59 PM

You're flat wrong here. If that makes me a troll for pointing it out... Whoops?

ThomasTomasz
05-11-2018, 12:01 AM

And you need to learn how to debate and interact appropriately with other posters. Take this as your warning, the next time an admitted trolling thread is made, we will take action on it. There is absolutely no need for things like this on any message board or comment section.