PDA

View Full Version : Better fit for an elite wing: Philadelphia or Utah?

mrblisterdundee
05-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Philadelphia gets a lot of the attention as a possible destination for elite wings like George and Leonard, if not LeBron.
But I'm wondering: Is Utah a comparable landing spot?
They lost Hayward, their best player, and still got the fifth seed and beat Oklahoma. They played as good against a full-strength Houston team as the 76ers have against a hobbled Celtics.
They have an awesome rim protector, one of the best young guards and the league's best defense. With an elite wing who can be a primary scoring option, it's not hard to see the Jazz contending for a finals berth.
How do you think they compare to Philadelphia?

GREATNESS ONE
05-09-2018, 11:27 AM
I like your ATRD team. :)

TheDish87
05-09-2018, 11:33 AM
Utah as a plce to live just isnt appealing to a lot players, ive never been but would surely like to see SLC but wouldnt want to deal with all that snow regularly either. Philly is one of the bigger markets (close to NY) in the country with a rabid base and owners willing to spend more. But give Utah one of those top wings and yea you prob have a contender, no doubt about it.

Vinylman
05-09-2018, 11:46 AM
an elite wing choosing to go to the state of Utah?

when pigs fly

JAZZNC
05-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Utah would be a phenomenal place for one of those guys but it's just not likely.but yeah if you add a Paul George or a LeBron Utah is definitely in contender status. Still below GS and possibly Houston but they'd be the clear cut 3rd best team in the West at the very worst.

Chronz
05-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Hilarious but Hayward should demand a trade back

JAZZNC
05-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Haha, I've wondered if he's having any regrets on his decision since he's gonna have a PG with knee problems and young guys looking to take his spot where as in Utah he could have gotten his jersey retired if he didn't run like a *****. And he'd have finally got an alpha in Mitchell so he wouldn't have to be the man.

Firefistus
05-09-2018, 03:35 PM
I think Kawhi Leonard is the best shot Utah has at getting an elite wing. Dennis Lindsay (Utah GM) traded for Kawhi. He hired Quinn Snyder twice, once as a coach assistant in San Antonio, then again in Utah. Dennis Lindsay was the GM for San Antonio before being hired in Utah. So ya, if any of them come to Utah I would say Kawhi is the one. And I think he would put us in contention honestly.

mrblisterdundee
05-09-2018, 07:13 PM
I like your ATRD team. :)

You ranked it pretty low for "liking" it. But yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

mrblisterdundee
05-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Haha, I've wondered if he's having any regrets on his decision since he's gonna have a PG with knee problems and young guys looking to take his spot where as in Utah he could have gotten his jersey retired if he didn't run like a *****. And he'd have finally got an alpha in Mitchell so he wouldn't have to be the man.

Karma's a *****.

europagnpilgrim
05-09-2018, 07:51 PM
I think Kawhi Leonard is the best shot Utah has at getting an elite wing. Dennis Lindsay (Utah GM) traded for Kawhi. He hired Quinn Snyder twice, once as a coach assistant in San Antonio, then again in Utah. Dennis Lindsay was the GM for San Antonio before being hired in Utah. So ya, if any of them come to Utah I would say Kawhi is the one. And I think he would put us in contention honestly.

Leonard would no doubt make Utah legit threat but what would Spurs want in return? Mitchell? or a Exum / Burks / Favors type haul? or they might gamble on Irving for Leonard straight up

I heard from someone who use to stay in Utah on work duty speak highly of the respect people have for others but it is such a cold place to want to stay for the long haul

from a athletes point of view other than being drafted by Utah I don't blame free agents for not wanting to go there, when was the last time Utah landed a apex young player free agency, Boozer? and how long in between Booz?

Utah has to get lucky and strike gold again to pair with Mitchell, or pray that Gobert transforms into Ewing or Duncan on offense, which after years of watching doesn't seem possible but at least he plays DPOY caliber to anchor that side of the ball

if I were the Spurs I would send him out East and not help a team in my same conference, especially if they are getting a healthy Leonard, top 5 mvp annually caliber player, touted by most to be best 2 way player in the game, 1a at worst

R. Johnson#3
05-10-2018, 05:42 AM
Raptors!

WaDe03
05-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Utah is better so I would say them.

Firefistus
05-10-2018, 12:20 PM
Leonard would no doubt make Utah legit threat but what would Spurs want in return? Mitchell? or a Exum / Burks / Favors type haul? or they might gamble on Irving for Leonard straight up

I heard from someone who use to stay in Utah on work duty speak highly of the respect people have for others but it is such a cold place to want to stay for the long haul

from a athletes point of view other than being drafted by Utah I don't blame free agents for not wanting to go there, when was the last time Utah landed a apex young player free agency, Boozer? and how long in between Booz?

Utah has to get lucky and strike gold again to pair with Mitchell, or pray that Gobert transforms into Ewing or Duncan on offense, which after years of watching doesn't seem possible but at least he plays DPOY caliber to anchor that side of the ball

if I were the Spurs I would send him out East and not help a team in my same conference, especially if they are getting a healthy Leonard, top 5 mvp annually caliber player, touted by most to be best 2 way player in the game, 1a at worst

Who said anything about trading? Lindsay talked yesterday about keeping the roster and going for free agency next season.

And the rumor is we pick up Favors for max money on a 3 year deal with the last year being a team option, that way Utah can decline it and renegotiate Favors long term for a less money. That would give them cap space to sign Kawhi out-right after his contract expires.

TheDish87
05-10-2018, 12:24 PM
max money for Favors? no way.

Firefistus
05-10-2018, 04:29 PM
You only heard one thing, and that's Favors max money. Obviously I didn't explain it well enough, let me try to elaborate.

So if Favors goes out and gets an offer for 3 years at 18 million a year, that's a 54 million dollar contract.

We're more than likely not signing anyone this year. (Besides Favors and Exum) Which means we'll have cap space that needs to be spent this year. Why not give Favors 35 million of that 54 million he wants for a year? Then we can renegotiate 15 million the following year for 2 years. He still gets the same amount of money, but our cap hold on him is only 7 million in years where we REALLY need the cap room.

I heard this in the news btw, but I think it's a really good idea. And it's absolutely something that's completely possible.

mrblisterdundee
05-10-2018, 05:18 PM
You only heard one thing, and that's Favors max money. Obviously I didn't explain it well enough, let me try to elaborate.

So if Favors goes out and gets an offer for 3 years at 18 million a year, that's a 54 million dollar contract.

We're more than likely not signing anyone this year. (Besides Favors and Exum) Which means we'll have cap space that needs to be spent this year. Why not give Favors 35 million of that 54 million he wants for a year? Then we can renegotiate 15 million the following year for 2 years. He still gets the same amount of money, but our cap hold on him is only 7 million in years where we REALLY need the cap room.

I heard this in the news btw, but I think it's a really good idea. And it's absolutely something that's completely possible.

It seems like Favors would be better-suited as a small-ball center, like Horford. For the right offer, I'd even be up for trading Gobert and rolling with Favors as the center moving forward. He's not the same rim protector, but he's better than Gobert offensively, still great at defending in the post and only a year older.
I'd certainly prefer signing Favors to the Blazers instead of paying Nurkic.

TheDish87
05-11-2018, 08:29 AM

yea defintely didnt come across clear to me, appreciate that explanation. But i would only give Exum an QO bcuz hes not reliable, i wouldnt prioritize him at all.

Firefistus
05-11-2018, 01:09 PM
yea defintely didnt come across clear to me, appreciate that explanation. But i would only give Exum an QO bcuz hes not reliable, i wouldnt prioritize him at all.

I agree, people are saying his value isn't much higher than his primary rookie contract. And his rookie deal started at 5 million, ended at 7 million. He's an RFA so we just have to match whatever someone is willing to throw at him, and I don't think anyone is going to take a big risk with Exum because of his injury history.

I also agree that Favors is better than Nurkic. I think the big question for the Jazz though, is Favors going to continue to improve like he has the rest of his career? If he does than his contract will be worth it down the road. If this is best Favors than you don't really want to sign him long term.

Utah let another player go when we picked up Favors in Paul Millsap. We had asked Millsap to get better at the three, and he didn't really want to. So we let him go and what happens? Millsap continued to improve and gained a three point shot.

I see Favors work ethic similar to Millsap. They're both from the same area (where Karl Malone was from). They both play the same position. Millsap was demanding max money at the time, Favors isn't. So I think you have to sign Favors now, take the risk that he'll continue to develop into what you need, as he's been doing his whole career. And grow from there.

The other side of this is Favors has always said Utah is his home. Whether he plays somewhere else or not he will always call Utah his home. He's an honest guy and a fan favorite. Sometimes people forget that these players are people too, but luckily in Utah we have the least amount of player turnover over every team in the NBA, so hopefully we can keep him here.

But if he finds a place he wants to play more that he thinks he will be better in than everyone will be glad for him. He just is that kind of guy.

hugepatsfan
05-12-2018, 12:01 PM

He doesn’t move the needle for them. With him taking up their cap they’d be the Raptors of the West. Him leaving was honestly a blessing because it gives them the flexibility to maybe strike gold. They have such a great coach and system that they’ll get to the 2nd round with or without him. With him they’re still not getting pat GS or HOU.

I hope they can finegle their way into Leonard next FA because he’s the one guy that takes them to the next level. I don’t think even PG would. Right now they look like a future TOR of the West though unless they strike gold and I’m pulling for them. Hayward leaving left them the flexibility to maybe do that instead of settling for silver.