PDA

View Full Version : Good coach problems

Scoots
05-08-2018, 09:59 AM
I believe in the value of coaching, in the NBA you can't win without the talent, but bad coaches ruin talent and good coaches maximize talent up and down the roster. But even good coaches have problems or blind areas.

Of the current coaches I have the most experience watching Steve Kerr, and his biggest issue to me is that he is too slow to use young players and he's too slow to change rotations. The Warriors always struggle with turnovers and I'm okay that Kerr hasn't "fixed" that ... turnovers are going to come with pace and that effort on offense and defense is easier to maintain if the players are having fun and the fun comes with risk, and Kerr understands that risk and while he hates it he hasn't tried to throttle the players to eliminate that risk. At the same time he has shown that his coaching staff seems to strangle the offensive confidence of young players who may be a bit fragile. The youngsters play seems to slip from their first year to their second and third. Pat McCaw, Kevon Looney, Jordan Bell, Damian Jones should have all had more freedom to screw up during the regular season and other than Looney and McCaw (injury), I think Kerr should have been finding time to get Bell and Jones on the floor more. They may not have fit as well in the first two rounds, but they could be critical against Houston but sitting all the time and having no regular spot in the rotation isn't going to do their confidence any good. And it doesn't just apply to the young guys, Steph Curry's 2nd MVP year, that offensive explosion, was not because of Kerr, but Walton. The same for Draymond who shot a much higher percentage for Walton, but it came crashing down when Kerr took back over. Kerr is a good coach who has done a good job building a system and environment and critically is very good at managing a staff and building game plans, but I don't think he's that good at helping players find confidence in growing their game.

Anyone want to comment or add another good coach blind spot?

warfelg
05-08-2018, 10:45 AM
I dunno how many people will call Brett Brown a good coach, but his insistence that shooters in a slump need to shoot more to get out of it kills me.

Those guys need to get some easy victories. Make some layups. Hit a midrange curl. Get a foul call and hit some free throws. Helps you get in a rhythm.

Scoots
05-08-2018, 10:58 AM
I dunno how many people will call Brett Brown a good coach, but his insistence that shooters in a slump need to shoot more to get out of it kills me.

Those guys need to get some easy victories. Make some layups. Hit a midrange curl. Get a foul call and hit some free throws. Helps you get in a rhythm.

Do people still question if Brown is a good coach? His insistence to stick with struggling players across the board seems an issue. Some coaches think it needs to be fixed in game and a player should never change their game, some coaches think it's fixed with small successes or in practice. I think it's different by player.

Cal827
05-11-2018, 04:19 AM
Dwayne Casey

Issue: Needs Lebron James to show the team how to run plays against the Cavaliers

Issue 2: His playoff defensive schemes are absolutely infuriating. He likes to focus in on one guy, even collapsing the defense on them if they try to attack. Now in an isolation offense, that would work, but most playoff teams don't really run full isolations anymore. And as a result, the ball gets passed to a guy who has a good shot from beyond the arc. Example I can recall was against Milwaukee last year in game 6. They went up 25 mainly because Giannis was trying to do everything, and they were able to shut him down for a good section. But when The bucks went to a more pass oriented style (to find open 3s), they were able to get many different shots. If the Raptors had stayed on their guys, then they should've coasted. Instead it got into the Raptors heads and the Bucks were almost able to steal the game (Derozan probably saved Caseys *** last season in that game).

Issue 3: Casey hasn't been fired yet, after telling the media that this 4-0 sweep was a lot closer than the 4-0 sweep last year and we're getting closer to them... He does remember that they won 2 games against them in 2016 (which is why there's anger over the past 2 years) right? Don't worry guys, next year we'll be swept again, but we'll have 3 close games :facepalm:

At this pace, the Raptors will still be working on losing 4-2 against Cleveland, when Lebron James Jr. is the focal player on the Cavs

Scoots
05-11-2018, 08:45 AM
I heard a talking head on the radio say Brown and Casey were going to be fired. Seems unlikely to me.

warfelg
05-11-2018, 09:17 AM
I heard a talking head on the radio say Brown and Casey were going to be fired. Seems unlikely to me.

If Brown gets fired he’ll find another job quickly IMO.

mightybosstone
05-11-2018, 09:26 AM
D'Antoni: Hates calling timeouts

My biggest criticism of Mike is that he'll let a team go on a huge run before using a timeout. Watching Game 5 against Utah, the Rockets' didn't look great when Chris Paul was off the floor. They built an 11-point lead in the third quarter, and the game looked over. CP3 sits down and the Jazz go on a 12-0 run to take the lead, and I must have screamed "Call a ****ing time out!!!" about half a dozen times at the TV before it either finally happened or the Rockets hit a shot. But that run did not need to get that out of hand.

That's just one example of many times this season when I feel like he waits way too long to kill an opposing team's momentum with a timeout. That's something I love watching Pop do. He won't even wait for a team to go on a run. He may just see something he doesn't like on 1-2 possessions, and he'll call a timeout to regroup. Meanwhile D'Antoni hoards timeouts for the end of the game like they're currency and hey may need them for retirement.

Other than that, D'Antoni is notorious for going with small rotations and playing guys too many minutes even when he has capable guys sitting on the bench. That's not really an issue in the playoffs, though, so it doesn't really bother me as much this time of year. But when it's November and you're playing an 8-man rotation with your starters player 36-38 minutes a night... That's not a great look. That being said, there are other coaches who are far worse at this (I'm looking at you Thibodeau).

kdspurman
05-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Pop does this at times too. His philosophy has always sort of been, as long as they're getting good looks, the shots will either fall or they won't. Basketball is a simple game, and plays are being executed properly, etc... So Brown probably took some of that with him. I def get the frustration tho. Sometimes it's worked out well in the big picture, not always tho.

JAZZNC
05-11-2018, 09:53 AM
For Snyder it seemed that halftime adjustments are a problem. Many times this season and even in the post season the game would be close or we're winning and then it's just an absolutely disastrous 3rd quarter that you just can't come back from. It happened a LOT. I dunno how much of that you put on the players but I feel like a lot of that is coaching. And we also have a real problem with horrible turnovers that lead to uncontested or 2 on 1 fast breaks but a lot of that I feel like lies on the players just making weak passes.

warfelg
05-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Pop does this at times too. His philosophy has always sort of been, as long as they're getting good looks, the shots will either fall or they won't. Basketball is a simple game, and plays are being executed properly, etc... So Brown probably took some of that with him. I def get the frustration tho. Sometimes it's worked out well in the big picture, not always tho.

Yea. I sorta get it, but like when a 3 ball guy is struggling, getting him to cut to the rim and get some easy layups, get to the foul line, hit some FTs can work wonders. Build the confidence of seeing the ball go in.

warfelg
05-11-2018, 09:55 AM

I think talking heads are overreacting to Brett Brown.

Cal827
05-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Especially in Brown's case. I mean, I'm don't follow the sixers that much, so maybe a fan of the team would know more than I would, but this wasn't this Browns first crack with a fairly healthy team? I would think that they would give him at least another year to see what he does with a more developed embiid and simmons. It's not like Casey, who's had 3 cracks at the same shot and has failed worse each time.

Jamiecballer
05-11-2018, 11:26 AM
I heard a talking head on the radio say Brown and Casey were going to be fired. Seems unlikely to me.Yeah there is no way Casey gets fired

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Cal827
05-11-2018, 12:20 PM
Yeah there is no way Casey gets fired

:laugh2: He got fired like 10 minutes after this post.

dhopisthename
05-11-2018, 12:41 PM
For Snyder it seemed that halftime adjustments are a problem. Many times this season and even in the post season the game would be close or we're winning and then it's just an absolutely disastrous 3rd quarter that you just can't come back from. It happened a LOT. I dunno how much of that you put on the players but I feel like a lot of that is coaching. And we also have a real problem with horrible turnovers that lead to uncontested or 2 on 1 fast breaks but a lot of that I feel like lies on the players just making weak passes.

what? besides the disastrous 3rd quarter in game 5 we won the okc series because we constantly killed them in the 3rd.

Scoots
05-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Especially in Brown's case. I mean, I'm don't follow the sixers that much, so maybe a fan of the team would know more than I would, but this wasn't this Browns first crack with a fairly healthy team? I would think that they would give him at least another year to see what he does with a more developed embiid and simmons. It's not like Casey, who's had 3 cracks at the same shot and has failed worse each time.

Yeah, but Brown was fairly clearly out-coached in that series. We'll see. The talking head was right about 1 so far.

warfelg
05-11-2018, 02:20 PM
Yeah, but Brown was fairly clearly out-coached in that series. We'll see. The talking head was right about 1 so far.

Both Brett Brown and Bryan Colangelo confirmed today they are talking extension. Would be a mighty big quick turnaround if they fired him.

warfelg
05-11-2018, 02:22 PM

First crack with a relatively healthy team, first trip to the playoffs as the head guy, with a rookie, 2 second year players in the starting lineup, and 3 options in the rotation that are 1 way players.

He needs at least 2 more years IMO.

JAZZNC
05-11-2018, 02:31 PM
what? besides the disastrous 3rd quarter in game 5 we won the okc series because we constantly killed them in the 3rd.

It was all season long. Yeah a lot of it was when Rudy was gone but it was a problem. And yes that was an absolute abomination of a quarter against OKC and was mainly what I was referencing as far as the playoffs.

Jamiecballer
05-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Dwayne Casey is a good coach with a problem

Scoots
05-11-2018, 11:26 PM

No team.

KnicksorBust
05-12-2018, 07:48 AM
I heard a talking head on the radio say Brown and Casey were going to be fired. Seems unlikely to me.Yeah there is no way Casey gets fired

I am sorry but :laugh:

KnicksorBust
05-12-2018, 07:49 AM

No team.

:laugh2:

KnicksorBust
05-12-2018, 07:49 AM
I was gonna vomit in my mouth listening to fans of the best teams in the nba like warriors, rockets, raptors, etc. nitpicking their coaches but then this thread got funny.

ewing
05-12-2018, 09:45 AM

the Celtics took advantage of Simmons inability to shoot and posted or attacked Philly weaker/smaller wings but what should of Brown done differently. He didn’t have Paul George to put in place of Belli or JJ so there wouldn’t be a mismatch? He could have turned to TJ sooner. What else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoots
05-12-2018, 11:38 AM
the Celtics took advantage of Simmons inability to shoot and posted or attacked Philly weaker/smaller wings but what should of Brown done differently. He didn’t have Paul George to put in place of Belli or JJ so there wouldn’t be a mismatch? He could have turned to TJ sooner. What else?

TJ more, getting the ball out of Simmons' hands and get him moving off the ball. Of course that development probably should have been worked on during the season.

warfelg
05-12-2018, 12:48 PM
TJ more, getting the ball out of Simmons' hands and get him moving off the ball. Of course that development probably should have been worked on during the season.

It did at times, but at times it actually created problems for Embiid. Knowing that Simmons wasn't a threat to shoot, his defender was closer to the rim, able to double when needed. We've also seen where the bigger slower guy stayed on the paint to stop Simmons from the rim, while the smaller faster defender took Embiid on the perimeter. Until they learn how to exploit that, we can't use it more than a trick here and there.