PDA

View Full Version : Becky Hammon interview for Bucks job

kyubi256
05-05-2018, 12:06 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23407719/becky-hammon-san-antonio-spurs-assistant-interview-milwaukee-bucks-opening

Think this is huge if she somehow gets the job. First female head coach would be huge in NBA

IndyRealist
05-05-2018, 12:18 PM
I hope it isn't huge. She's extremely qualified and from the Pop lineage. She's probably in the top 5 assistants out there.

GREATNESS ONE
05-05-2018, 12:26 PM
So what are you willing to do for this job?

Chronz
05-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Hasnt paid her dues, we dont send the men into the field until a decade into their careers as top assistants.

prodigy
05-05-2018, 12:42 PM
I hope it isn't huge. She's extremely qualified and from the Pop lineage. She's probably in the top 5 assistants out there.

agreed. If she gives a very impressive interview i'd hire her.

IndyRealist
05-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Hasnt paid her dues, we dont send the men into the field until a decade into their careers as top assistants.

Do you have any reservations aside from paying her dues? Because she has more coaching experience than Kidd had.

kdspurman
05-05-2018, 12:55 PM
She's 1 of 4 Spurs FO personnel/Asst coaches the Bucks are interviewing now. (Messina, Monty Williams, James Borrego the other 3)

Everyone speaks very highly of her, I think it's great she's getting an opportunity to interview somewhere.

ewing
05-05-2018, 12:56 PM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23407719/becky-hammon-san-antonio-spurs-assistant-interview-milwaukee-bucks-opening

Think this is huge if she somehow gets the job. First female head coach would be huge in NBA

What would be huge about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aman_13
05-05-2018, 01:42 PM

Well in that case, she makes a lot of sense for the Bucks.

kdspurman
05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Do you have any reservations aside from paying her dues? Because she has more coaching experience than Kidd had.

Yea and I'm sure there are others...being an assistant for Pop even a few years vs another place for twice that could be a very different experience.

His "coaching family tree" is pretty extensive and looks like it'll be expanding even more.

Chronz
05-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Yea and I'm sure there are others...being an assistant for Pop even a few years vs another place for twice that could be a very different experience.

His "coaching family tree" is pretty extensive and looks like it'll be expanding even more.

Dude she's not even your top assistant today. You do recall how long it took for bud when he was much higher up with your spurs pedigree

Chronz
05-05-2018, 03:55 PM

Not really.

Kidd is a perfect example of someone getting everything too soon imo. I still thinkhe's gonna be a great coach, just gotta lot of learning to do

kdspurman
05-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Dude she's not even your top assistant today. You do recall how long it took for bud when he was much higher up with your spurs pedigree

Lol, i guarantee you, Bud could've had a job way before that. 17 years an top assistant isn't the standard. He chose to stick with Pop and waited for the perfect opportunity when realizing it might be a few more years for Pop to hang em up.

This ain't new either, certain teams on your resume make you more appealing for certain gigs. Working for Pop leads to other gigs whether an Assistant, HC, or other FO positions.

Also, Udoka isn't top assistant either, you cool with him getting a HC gig? He's been an assistant 2 years longer than Becky has.

IndyRealist
05-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Not really.

Kidd is a perfect example of someone getting everything too soon imo. I still thinkhe's gonna be a great coach, just gotta lot of learning to do

My only point was that "we dont send the men into the field until a decade into their careers as top assistants" was an untrue statement.

ewing
05-05-2018, 11:44 PM
fight it Chronz

More-Than-Most
05-06-2018, 12:58 AM
i would only do it in a non basketball city... If it was any of the top 5-10 cities there would be no way id do it. There is so much risk involved here... The second you hire her you are the talk of the league for all the good reasons and your franchise will be praised up and down and if it works out welcome to the golden goose.... But if it doesnt work out and you need to fire her... My god every woman/feminist and
Millennial would march and obliterate the franchise for firing her because shes a woman.

Leftcoast_yg
05-06-2018, 01:38 AM

Do you have any reservations besides her being just an nba assistant? She's never been a head coach in the nba. Kidd being a player in the nba a point guard and a superstarand most recently a head coach is not more qualified than Peter gazing Becky Hammond?

TrueFan420
05-06-2018, 01:47 AM
Do you have any reservations besides her being just an nba assistant? She's never been a head coach in the nba. Kidd being a player in the nba a point guard and a superstarand most recently a head coach is not more qualified than Peter gazing Becky Hammond?
He said HAD. Meaning before he was hired he had zero coaching experience. Yes he was a player and a superstar at that and while he has immense experience coach wasn't one of them.

Leftcoast_yg
05-06-2018, 02:38 AM
He said HAD. Meaning before he was hired he had zero coaching experience. Yes he was a player and a superstar at that and while he has immense experience coach wasn't one of them.
Is not the point guard an extension of the head coach on the court?

IndyRealist
05-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Becky Hammon was a WNBA point guard and a superstar and went to the Olympics twice. She was hired in 2014, meaning she has EXACTLY as much NBA coaching experience as Tyronn Lue, Luke Walton, and Steve Kerr, and is more qualified than any of them were when they got their head coaching gigs, including Jason Kidd.

lakerfan85
05-06-2018, 08:10 AM
Would the players really listen to and respect her? Thatís what I would be worried about..

tp13baby
05-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Not really.

Zero credibility thinking Kidd will be a good coach. He is a ****ing idiot man.

rhino17
05-06-2018, 08:56 AM
Thats not even close to being true

Steve Kerr, Mike D'Antoni, Jeff Hornacek, Jason Kidd, Fred Hoiberg Doc Rivers, Luke Walton, Tyronne Lue, Nate McMillan all had about the same or less coaching experience before given a HC job. Almost no current coaches took 10 years.

Jamiecballer
05-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Would the players really listen to and respect her? Thatís what I would be worried about..I wish it were not the case but I believe no. She would need to have huge balls but then she wouldn't be the first female HC now would she.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

TrueFan420
05-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Is not the point guard an extension of the head coach on the court?

He had never been a coach at any level, it's as simple as that.

TrueFan420
05-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Would the players really listen to and respect her? Thatís what I would be worried about..

That's going to be the interesting thing to see. If she knows her **** which I imagine she does working for Pop then they should but ultimately it comes down to winning. If they win implementing her system and her after time out calls they'll listen. If they lose she'll likely lose them.

IndyRealist
05-06-2018, 11:50 AM

The players don't listen to or respect Fizdale, and he's going to his 2nd head coaching gig.

Chronz
05-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Lol, i guarantee you, Bud could've had a job way before that. 17 years an top assistant isn't the standard. He chose to stick with Pop and waited for the perfect opportunity when realizing it might be a few more years for Pop to hang em up.

This ain't new either, certain teams on your resume make you more appealing for certain gigs. Working for Pop leads to other gigs whether an Assistant, HC, or other FO positions.

Also, Udoka isn't top assistant either, you cool with him getting a HC gig? He's been an assistant 2 years longer than Becky has.

Udoka been coaching since his final days as player too tho. Good point on bud , if Mike brown could land a job I'm sure bud could've.

Chronz
05-06-2018, 12:16 PM
My only point was that "we dont send the men into the field until a decade into their careers as top assistants" was an untrue statement.

I'm pretty sure they're usually more seasoned this is my point

goingfor28
05-06-2018, 12:36 PM
So what are you willing to do for this job?Lmao

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IKnowHoops
05-06-2018, 01:25 PM
What would be huge about it?

Your a pest...I just realized.

Redrum187
05-07-2018, 01:44 AM
So what are you willing to do for this job?

lmao I love you.

Firefistus
05-07-2018, 01:54 AM
Argument aside, I think Hornacek would be a perfect coach for the Bucks. He was running the Knicks pretty well until Porzingis got injured. And they have a big man just as skilled in the Bucks. Hammond is a nice prospect, but the bucks don't seem like the type of team that could run a pop style defense, let alone offense. You have to funnel everything through Gianis, and lets face it, if he doesn't get his touches, the coach is the first one to get canned.

I think Vogel wouldn't be bad either. He just didn't have a lot of talent in Orlando, and people forget what he did with the old Pacers team in taking them to the Eastern Finals.

I'm not saying Becky Hammond isn't qualified, but I personally believe Hornacek would be a better coach for Gianis.

Leftcoast_yg
05-07-2018, 01:59 AM
Becky Hammon was a WNBA point guard and a superstar and went to the Olympics twice. She was hired in 2014, meaning she has EXACTLY as much NBA coaching experience as Tyronn Lue, Luke Walton, and Steve Kerr, and is more qualified than any of them were when they got their head coaching gigs, including Jason Kidd.

Keyword Wnba bud.

IndyRealist
05-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Keyword Wnba bud.

And? She was at the highest level of basketball. You only have to watch about 2 minutes to know they're more technically sound than NBA players because they don't have the physical advantages, bud.

ewing
05-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Your a pest...I just realized.

I'm serious. I could care less if Becky or some old white guy coaches the Bucks.

Vinylman
05-07-2018, 03:30 PM

why?

she is highly qualified... the fact that she has a vagina should be irrelevant.

Vinylman
05-07-2018, 03:33 PM

what were your reservations about Brad Stevens?

Vinylman
05-07-2018, 03:35 PM
The players don't listen to or respect Fizdale, and he's going to his 2nd head coaching gig.

Indy is destroying you guys in here

TrueFan420
05-07-2018, 03:37 PM
why?

she is highly qualified... the fact that she has a vagina should be irrelevant.
It should be irrelevant but in our society it isn't and it does affect the process. Hope she helps lead to a change in that regard.

Vinylman
05-07-2018, 03:37 PM
It should be irrelevant but in our society it isn't and it does affect the process. Hope she helps lead to a change in that regard.

meh ... its only a big deal for people who value things other than qualifications...

Believe me ... she can coach.

TrueFan420
05-07-2018, 05:11 PM
meh ... its only a big deal for people who value things other than qualifications...

Believe me ... she can coach.

It's easy to be blasť and easy to look at things that you value and expect others to but the reality is women aren't viewed as equal in this profession. I believe that she can coach. Believe me that organizations will hold her to a different standard than a male coach and consider different things when thinking about hiring her vs a male coach.

Vinylman
05-07-2018, 05:16 PM
It's easy to be blasť and easy to look at things that you value and expect others to but the reality is women aren't viewed as equal in this profession. I believe that she can coach. Believe me that organizations will hold her to a different standard than a male coach and consider different things when thinking about hiring her vs a male coach.

what do you mean by this?

TrueFan420
05-07-2018, 05:53 PM
what do you mean by this?

Well I'm still at work, followed by a commute, so I can answer in full but for one she wouldn't be consider right out of finishing playing like we've seen with some male coaches. Kidd was used as an example earlier in this thread. If she coached college ball they likely wouldn't consider her either. The fact that she's under Pop is likely the main reason she's being considered. That doesn't happen with males.

Vinylman
05-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Well I'm still at work, followed by a commute, so I can answer in full but for one she wouldn't be consider right out of finishing playing like we've seen with some male coaches. Kidd was used as an example earlier in this thread. If she coached college ball they likely wouldn't consider her either. The fact that she's under Pop is likely the main reason she's being considered. That doesn't happen with males.

so its easier for her? She doesn't have as much scrutiny as men...

seriously, just trying to understand

Leftcoast_yg
05-07-2018, 08:19 PM
And? She was at the highest level of basketball. You only have to watch about 2 minutes to know they're more technically sound than NBA players because they don't have the physical advantages, bud.
So by default she would not be qualified because of the different type of personell which would need a different type of coaching style. It's not the same type of coaching if you use different personell than what you are acustomed to.

ewing
05-07-2018, 09:58 PM
She can coach if you get rid of all the ****** female side line reporters

tredigs
05-08-2018, 12:20 AM
The female aspect would not concern me as much as her lack of qualifications as a Bucks fan. The first woman is better off being over qualified, not under qualified, and she is the latter.

IndyRealist
05-08-2018, 09:05 AM
So by default she would not be qualified because of the different type of personell which would need a different type of coaching style. It's not the same type of coaching if you use different personell than what you are acustomed to.

So you're saying she's not qualified because she's a woman. It's amazing how far people will reach to rationalize bias. Literally making up qualifications on the fly that don't apply to men.

By this rationale Brad Stevens was a terrible hire. Never played or coached NBA basketball.

TrueFan420
05-08-2018, 09:09 AM
The female aspect would not concern me as much as her lack of qualifications as a Bucks fan. The first woman is better off being over qualified, not under qualified, and she is the latter.

15 year playing career both in the state and abroad. Represented Russia and metaled. Has been an assistant coach under the great coach of all time for 4 years. If she had a penis no one would be talking about this and she'd have more experience than many former players who become a coach. Hell Brent Barry's name is getting thrown around and he's never coached a day in his life.

tredigs
05-08-2018, 09:44 AM
15 year playing career both in the state and abroad. Represented Russia and metaled. Has been an assistant coach under the great coach of all time for 4 years. If she had a penis no one would be talking about this and she'd have more experience than many former players who become a coach. Hell Brent Barry's name is getting thrown around and he's never coached a day in his life.

Not sure how much you know about NBA head coaches, but that is an under qualified candidate. J Kidd was also under qualified despite knowing the ins and outs of the NBA game far better than Hammond (WNBA experience is more equivalent to being a College athlete), and he was a colossal failure. There are plenty of assistants with decades+ experience and plenty of former/current head coaches who would kill for the job. You're giving her more leverage simply because she's a woman.

TrueFan420
05-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Not sure how much you know about NBA head coaches, but that is an under qualified candidate. J Kidd was also under qualified despite knowing the ins and outs of the NBA game far better than Hammond (WNBA experience is more equivalent to being a College athlete), and he was a colossal failure. There are plenty of assistants with decades+ experience and plenty of former/current head coaches who would kill for the job. You're giving her more leverage simply because she's a woman.

There's also several HC who get the job with less experience. Would I personally want a more experienced HC, yes but that doesn't change the fact that several teams don't care. Hell look at the Warriors last two hires. Steve Kerr and Mark Jackson both with zero experience as a coach when hired. WNBA is like college? Ok give me Brad Stevens all day. There are several coaches in the college ranks that are better coaches than credited for as they don't coach in the "NBA." I'm not giving her more leverage because she's a women. I'm just pointing out facts to those saying she lacks experience. She has more coaching experience than several others hired regularly. People wouldn't be talking about the lack of experience if she was a guy. And if they did it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

tredigs
05-08-2018, 10:14 AM
There's also several HC who get the job with less experience. Would I personally want a more experienced HC, yes but that doesn't change the fact that several teams don't care. Hell look at the Warriors last two hires. Steve Kerr and Mark Jackson both with zero experience as a coach when hired. WNBA is like college? Ok give me Brad Stevens all day. There are several coaches in the college ranks that are better coaches than credited for as they don't coach in the "NBA." I'm not giving her more leverage because she's a women. I'm just pointing out facts to those saying she lacks experience. She has more coaching experience than several others hired regularly. People wouldn't be talking about the lack of experience if she was a guy. And if they did it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

You're missing the point. Yes, there are coaches hired with less experience, but most aren't. She's under qualified. Period. And my point is that when trying to break down a "barrier", it's best to do so with a candidate that players can look at with reverance based on her track record. She doesn't have that, and going into a very tough coaching position in Milwaukee (were she hired), I think that lack of experience will come back to bite her.

That said, I really don't care. But as a GM/owner I would pass on her unless she came in and completely commanded the room in her interview.

TrueFan420
05-08-2018, 10:41 AM
You're missing the point. Yes, there are coaches hired with less experience, but most aren't. She's under qualified. Period. And my point is that when trying to break down a "barrier", it's best to do so with a candidate that players can look at with reverance based on her track record. She doesn't have that, and going into a very tough coaching position in Milwaukee (were she hired), I think that lack of experience will come back to bite her.

That said, I really don't care. But as a GM/owner I would pass on her unless she came in and completely commanded the room in her interview.
I'm not missing your point. I get it but that doesn't change mine. As I've said I wouldn't hire her personally and it would take her coming in and just killing the interview, like you said, for me to do it and I'd still have reservations because I understand what she'd be walking into. My point has nothing to do with any of that tho. My point is she has more experience than several coaches who get hired. There are also several coaches with more experience that never get hired for several reasons. Experience isn't and shouldn't be the reason to rule her out.

tredigs
05-08-2018, 10:48 AM
I'm not missing your point. I get it but that doesn't change mine. As I've said I wouldn't hire her personally and it would take her coming in and just killing the interview, like you said, for me to do it and I'd still have reservations because I understand what she'd be walking into. My point has nothing to do with any of that tho. My point is she has more experience than several coaches who get hired. There are also several coaches with more experience that never get hired for several reasons. Experience isn't and shouldn't be the reason to rule her out.
I just think you may be being a bit naive in not acknowledging that the first woman is better off being over qualified than the opposite. It does matter, specifically in her case.

TrueFan420
05-08-2018, 10:58 AM
I just think you may be being a bit naive in not acknowledging that the first woman is better off being over qualified than the opposite. It does matter, specifically in her case.

Here's the thing tho, she could be over qualified and still fail. She could be under qualified and succeed. Qualifications aren't an end all be all to whether or not she will be successful as an NBA coach. As I said, I wouldn't hire her but to rule her out on experience and not others is backwards. And this coming from someone who didn't want Kerr another untested coach after Mark Jackson. The largest and most important data point that we will never have is the interview.

IndyRealist
05-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Everyone is better off being overqualifed than under.

mrblisterdundee
05-08-2018, 12:30 PM
Seems like she should hang back and take over the Spurs once Popovich retires.

TrueFan420
05-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Everyone is better off being overqualifed than under.
In theory yes, as it means you're more than qualified to be able to handle the responsibilities of the job. However, it also begs to question why they didn't get the position sooner. Was it personality related, or amibition or have the tried and failed, if so why did they fail at the position prior, or is something else? There's nothing about hiring a person that's cut and dry.

TrueFan420
05-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Seems like she should hang back and take over the Spurs once Popovich retires.
Idk man it would be next to impossible to fill those shoes no matter who you are or what you've done in the past.

rhino17
05-08-2018, 05:26 PM

This simply isn't true. Lots of coaches in the NBA had less or equal experience to her when they got head coaching jobs. She is also a Pop protege which gives her more weight than those other candidates. Theres literally zero evidence that she is underqualified. She would have been a top 5 choice of all available coaches for me before the Bucks even inquired about her - who exactly in your opinion would be a better candidate?

Vinylman
05-08-2018, 05:49 PM
This simply isn't true. Lots of coaches in the NBA had less or equal experience to her when they got head coaching jobs. She is also a Pop protege which gives her more weight than those other candidates. Theres literally zero evidence that she is underqualified. She would have been a top 5 choice of all available coaches for me before the Bucks even inquired about her - who exactly in your opinion would be a better candidate?

Shaq
Chuck
Kenny

Tg11
05-08-2018, 05:51 PM
A female head coach she would make history in that regard and I know I would love to see it

cheetos185
05-08-2018, 06:06 PM
She can be the real life Whoopi Goldberg lol but seriously if she has strict mother personality then she can be NBA coach I mean most this players are kids in men's body.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Leftcoast_yg
05-10-2018, 10:40 PM
So you're saying she's not qualified because she's a woman. It's amazing how far people will reach to rationalize bias. Literally making up qualifications on the fly that don't apply to men.

By this rationale Brad Stevens was a terrible hire. Never played or coached NBA basketball.

Quote me where I said she is not qualified because she is a woman. I'll wait

kdspurman
05-11-2018, 09:33 AM

aman_13
05-11-2018, 10:48 AM

Done.

IndyRealist
05-11-2018, 12:08 PM

She was at the highest level of basketball, the WNBA and the Olympics. She also coaches in the NBA. Women are not allowed to play in the NBA. You are saying she is BY DEFAULT not qualified to coach in the NBA because she didn't play in the NBA. The only people who could ever meet your criteria are men who played in the NBA. So you are saying she isn't qualified because she is a woman. It's not that hard.