PDA

View Full Version : Cousins to the Wizards?

j-bay
04-29-2018, 11:22 AM
Lets start up the speculation

At the 37 minute mark, McCollum mentions that Pelicans center DeMarcus Cousins could ďpotentially team up with John Wall and the Washington WizardsĒ this summer. Cousins is an unrestricted free agent this summer. You can listen to the podcast in the link below or click here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bulletsforever.com/platform/amp/2018/4/26/17287474/cj-mccollum-podcast-demarcus-cousins-john-wall-potential-reunion

And then there is this....

Chase Hughes
@ChaseHughesNBCS
John Wall said an athletic big. bench scoring and someone who can create off the dribble are offseason needs for the Wizards.

Hmm you wonder who he is talking about...

Wall and Cousins have made it no secret that they want to play with each other. Money will be an issue, but wouldn't be surprised to see a Porter sign and trade. Also rumor is NO isn't willing to give Cousins a max deal.

ewing
04-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Terrible fit. No one else would touch the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaVar Ball
04-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Terrible fit. No one else would touch the ball

Itís a great move. You just donít understand basketball much.

Youíre not gonna win with 3 wing players.

But 2 wings and a talented big who can also pass?

Yeah the Wiz will be better regardless of DMCís Achilles.

BKLYNpigeon
04-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Not going to happen when Wall, Beal and Porter make the MAX.

j-bay
04-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Not going to happen when Wall, Beal and Porter make the MAX.

Which why i said OPJR trade.

Jamiecballer
04-29-2018, 12:56 PM
I would love this move as a Raptor fan. It would be incredible to see them combine for 60ppg, 15rpg, 15apg & 3spg and still do little to impact their teams ability to win.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

ewing
04-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Itís a great move. You just donít understand basketball much.

Youíre not gonna win with 3 wing players.

But 2 wings and a talented big who can also pass?

Yeah the Wiz will be better regardless of DMCís Achilles.

Cousin can pass? The guy is talented as hell but also ball dominating and a **** decesion maker. Him and Wall share bad habits and would shut out everyone else

beasted86
04-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Which why i said OPJR trade.

Are you suggesting N.O. has any interest in Porter, or is a third party going to get involved to take that contract?

Only possibility is if Cousins insists on the full blown $32M+ max and they feel medically he cannot recover to warrant that deal.

beasted86
04-29-2018, 01:14 PM
I think overall the Pelicans just don't want to pay the luxury tax as a small market team. And neither Cousins' (coming) or Porter's (existing) contracts provide any solution.

j-bay
04-29-2018, 01:25 PM
I would love this move as a Raptor fan. It would be incredible to see them combine for 60ppg, 15rpg, 15apg & 3spg and still do little to impact their teams ability to win.

You know funny thing is you guys are paying an "all star" PG 28 million per year (more in future years) and he is having very little impact for the money he is making. I'm expecting that guy to put up 30 points a night for that kind of money.

mrblisterdundee
04-29-2018, 01:44 PM
I could see this happening only if the Pelicans re-sign Cousins with an understanding they'll trade him for Porter. Otherwise, what do the Wizards have that the Pelicans want? Beal isn't being traded. Gortat and Mahinmi are washed. Oubre isn't getting it done.
I'm taking that deal in a heartbeat if I'm the Pelicans. Imagine a crunch-time lineup next year of Holiday, Moore, Porter, Mirotic and Davis.
Cousins would just make the Wizards that much more front-loaded, but Washington seems desperate enough for relevance to do anything.

Jamiecballer
04-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Cousin can pass? The guy is talented as hell but also ball dominating and a **** decesion maker. Him and Wall share bad habits and would shut out everyone else

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNice to agree once in a while

Jamiecballer
04-29-2018, 01:52 PM
You know funny thing is you guys are paying an "all star" PG 28 million per year (more in future years) and he is having very little impact for the money he is making. I'm expecting that guy to put up 30 points a night for that kind of money.That's an odd expectation you have. Did you know that there was only 1 player in the NBA average 30 this year?

Heediot
04-29-2018, 01:54 PM

Yeah I tend to agree. Just because he passed a lot in New Orleans and racked up assists doesn't necessarily make him a good passer.

It's like RW, I don't think he's a great passer because he racks up assists. He's passable but nothing close to impressive.

WaDe03
04-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Same thread by the same dude every summer lol

R. Johnson#3
04-29-2018, 02:13 PM
If this goes down then Bradley Beal better make the most out of his 10 shots a game.

j-bay
04-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Same thread by the same dude every summer lol

As a fan of a small market team we have rarely made any big moves, we need one. The biggest move i saw was a 38 year old MJ come out of retirement.

Heediot
04-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Myabe Cousins, Solomon Hil, A. Moore for Otto, Gortat and Kelly O.

Not too sure if they allow such big S&T in the new cba.

Pelicans weary of Tax situation, but Gortat and Kelly O are expiring and might be flippable. Gortat more likely to be flipped because of 12-13 mil.

Cal827
04-29-2018, 04:37 PM
If they can get him, and he comes back at his best, this could make the Wizards a deadly team IMO. How many teams out there have an elite point guard, a sharpshooter who can heat up quick, and an presence on the inside? If Oubre can turn into something decent, and they're able to stock up their bench with FA/second round picks (I would assume a couple firsts would probably go over too), then they could be near the top of the East.

kobe4thewinbang
04-29-2018, 04:39 PM
Gonna be pretty hard unless they move Beal/Wall. Considering, ya know, that they gave Otto freaking Porter the deal of the century and then he can't even play in the series they got knocked out in.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/ADr35Z4TvATIc/giphy.gif

kobe4thewinbang
04-29-2018, 04:41 PM
Lets start up the speculation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bulletsforever.com/platform/amp/2018/4/26/17287474/cj-mccollum-podcast-demarcus-cousins-john-wall-potential-reunion

And then there is this....

Chase Hughes
@ChaseHughesNBCS
John Wall said an athletic big. bench scoring and someone who can create off the dribble are offseason needs for the Wizards.

Hmm you wonder who he is talking about...

Wall and Cousins have made it no secret that they want to play with each other. Money will be an issue, but wouldn't be surprised to see a Porter sign and trade. Also rumor is NO isn't willing to give Cousins a max deal.Pelicans organization: :puke:

Missing56&33
04-29-2018, 05:41 PM
Cousins to the Wizards?

I would only agree to this if the Wizards fire Scott Brooks and hire John Calipari...add a couple of energy guys....most definitely would draw Free agents to DC. Get a couple of Kentucky players in the draft.

Wiz would have to go out the box a little bit.

FlashBolt
04-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Mahinmi and Porter was a waste of money. Can't believe they are paying these two $40 million and they can't even do anything in the playoffs.

More-Than-Most
04-29-2018, 07:59 PM
my god my basketball knowledge is off the charts and I dont even bet... Remember i stated this trade weeks ago would be amazing for both teams esp if wall and cousins team up.

IKnowHoops
04-29-2018, 08:40 PM
my god my basketball knowledge is off the charts and I dont even bet... Remember i stated this trade weeks ago would be amazing for both teams esp if wall and cousins team up.
😂

Jamiecballer
04-29-2018, 09:39 PM

:laugh:

ThomasTomasz
04-29-2018, 09:45 PM
I could see this happening only if the Pelicans re-sign Cousins with an understanding they'll trade him for Porter. Otherwise, what do the Wizards have that the Pelicans want? Beal isn't being traded. Gortat and Mahinmi are washed. Oubre isn't getting it done.
I'm taking that deal in a heartbeat if I'm the Pelicans. Imagine a crunch-time lineup next year of Holiday, Moore, Porter, Mirotic and Davis.
Cousins would just make the Wizards that much more front-loaded, but Washington seems desperate enough for relevance to do anything.

As a casual Wizards fan, I actually agree with this assessment. With three max players before even considering a Cousins for Porter swap, do the Wizards have enough depth to compete? That's my concern.

FlashBolt
04-29-2018, 10:03 PM

You only said that because these guys were college teammates... Their playstyle matches each other very well but many have been saying they should team up together for years.

JLynn943
04-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Wizards should trade Wall instead. Let them team up elsewhere.

ewing
04-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Yeah I tend to agree. Just because he passed a lot in New Orleans and racked up assists doesn't necessarily make him a good passer.

It's like RW, I don't think he's a great passer because he racks up assists. He's passable but nothing close to impressive.

he is a bad play maker period. dude has the skill to be a go to scorer, beast on the offensive glass etc. He should not be dribbling the ball all over the floor. He racks up assist solely b/c he is ball dominate and he doesn't ****ing need to be. Cousins is like a kid too many toys. He is the opposite of what Duncan was. Timmy had a sick handle for a big but he used his talents ergonomicly. He wasn't gonna take the rock out of Manu or Tony's hands so he could put it in b/t his legs 5 times and try cross someone up.

FlashBolt
04-29-2018, 10:27 PM
Wizards should trade Wall instead. Let them team up elsewhere.

Either they build over Wall or Beal because I can't see those two co-existing. It's much easier to trade Wall because he's got better value than Beal but as the Wizards, convincing a free agent of Wall's caliber is very difficult. IMO, trade Beal+Gortat for Solomon Hill+Cousins through sign and trade. Pelicans get a top five SG (who can play alongside Jrue to replace Rondo) and Gortat is a decent center. Wizards get rid of Gortat/Beal and get a Wall+Cousins duo - which I believe matches each other perfectly in terms of skillset.

JLynn943
04-29-2018, 10:42 PM
he is a bad play maker period. dude has the skill to be a go to scorer, beast on the offensive glass etc. He should not be dribbling the ball all over the floor. He racks up assist solely b/c he is ball dominate and he doesn't ****ing need to be. Cousins is like a kid too many toys. He is the opposite of what Duncan was. Timmy had a sick handle for a big but he used his talents ergonomicly. He wasn't gonna take the rock out of Manu or Tony's hands so he could put it in b/t his legs 5 times and try cross someone up.

In terms of actual passing ability, Cousins is one of the top among bigs. I watched him do it for years in Sacramento. The ability is there without a doubt. It's more a matter of keeping him willing to pass, because he does go into black hole mode sometimes. He also makes some bone-headed decisions passing the ball, but overall he's actually pretty good when committed to playmaking. It will just always depend on keeping him focused on doing the right things and not getting upset over every stupid call that goes against him.

Either they build over Wall or Beal because I can't see those two co-existing. It's much easier to trade Wall because he's got better value than Beal but as the Wizards, convincing a free agent of Wall's caliber is very difficult. IMO, trade Beal+Gortat for Solomon Hill+Cousins through sign and trade. Pelicans get a top five SG (who can play alongside Jrue to replace Rondo) and Gortat is a decent center. Wizards get rid of Gortat/Beal and get a Wall+Cousins duo - which I believe matches each other perfectly in terms of skillset.

Yeah, I think Wall+Beal is done. If I'm Washington, I'm sick of dealing with Wall's public comments about the team while not taking the team to the finals. I still think Wall is a great player, but he is what he is at this point, and they would benefit from trading him while his value is still high. I think the Wall and Cousins pairing is finally going to happen, but Pelicans (Wall for Jrue being the base of the deal) or Lakers (all that cap and the assets to trade for Wall) are my guesses.

More-Than-Most
04-29-2018, 10:49 PM
You only said that because these guys were college teammates... Their playstyle matches each other very well but many have been saying they should team up together for years.

its more than that... id be fine with them trading wall and keeping beal and cousins... the trade works because not that their play styles work with each other its that both the wizards and pelicans have had the same problem all season... they have 2 guys on their teams that hurts the other... similar situations and both teams become actual contenders if a trade is worked out.

FlashBolt
04-29-2018, 11:56 PM
its more than that... id be fine with them trading wall and keeping beal and cousins... the trade works because not that their play styles work with each other its that both the wizards and pelicans have had the same problem all season... they have 2 guys on their teams that hurts the other... similar situations and both teams become actual contenders if a trade is worked out.

How does Cousins hurt the Pelicans? If Cousins was in the Pelicans right now, Warriors would 100% need Curry. Cousins and AD put an absolute beating on any team's frontcourt to where your only shot is beating them with your guards. Considering Rondo+Jrue are very good guards, it's going to take a lot to beat that Pelicans team 4/7 times. Beating the Trailblazers doesn't prove much. Blazers relied on ISO-ball with two players and a lack of ball movement. It was easy to stop Lillard because Lillard isn't exactly the best playmaker and he'll force terrible shots. You can't do that vs the Warriors.

As for Wall, well, that's a lie. Wall makes the Wizards a dangerous team. It's just his attitude is difficult to get along with. And that's where Cousins comes in. Both players are hard-headed and arrogant. They are, however, two teammates who have respect for one another. It'll be a duo that works not because they are the best center/PG but because they have chemistry together and their style of play are direct compliments of one another.

ewing
04-30-2018, 09:32 AM
How does Cousins hurt the Pelicans? If Cousins was in the Pelicans right now, Warriors would 100% need Curry. Cousins and AD put an absolute beating on any team's frontcourt to where your only shot is beating them with your guards. Considering Rondo+Jrue are very good guards, it's going to take a lot to beat that Pelicans team 4/7 times. Beating the Trailblazers doesn't prove much. Blazers relied on ISO-ball with two players and a lack of ball movement. It was easy to stop Lillard because Lillard isn't exactly the best playmaker and he'll force terrible shots. You can't do that vs the Warriors.

As for Wall, well, that's a lie. Wall makes the Wizards a dangerous team. It's just his attitude is difficult to get along with. And that's where Cousins comes in. Both players are hard-headed and arrogant. They are, however, two teammates who have respect for one another. It'll be a duo that works not because they are the best center/PG but because they have chemistry together and their style of play are direct compliments of one another.

If Cousin didnít get hurt the Pelicans wouldnít have made the playoffs

j-bay
04-30-2018, 09:41 AM

Coexisting on or off the floor? Because if its off Wall and Beal are fine. The players also attacked Beal as well as Wall.

ewing
04-30-2018, 11:07 PM
If they could do it I think Jordan is a much better fit with Wall then Cousins

JOSKOMANG4
05-01-2018, 08:05 AM
Cousins to Wizards is a match made in heaven. Most likely; it'll have to be a S&T to get this deal done.

- Gortat, Porter, 2018 1st & 2nd rd pick for Cousins & Asik

NO: Davis/Mirotic/Porter/Holiday/Rondo.
Key B : Gortat, Hill, Miller, Jackson

WAS: Cousins/Morris/Obrue/Beal/Wall
Key B: Mahinmi, Smith, Meeks, Satorsky,

Jamiecballer
05-01-2018, 08:08 AM
If they could do it I think Jordan is a much better fit with Wall then Cousins

ooh for sure, that's a good match. i'd bet on that being more successful than Wall/Cousins. jordan can catch lobs, set screens and clean up the offensive glass. good call.

R. Johnson#3
05-01-2018, 09:01 AM
ooh for sure, that's a good match. i'd bet on that being more successful than Wall/Cousins. jordan can catch lobs, set screens and clean up the offensive glass. good call.

Yeah I agree, DJ would thrive in Washington. Takes no shots away from Wall/Beal and brings a huge boost on the defensive end. Also for when plays breakdown because of Wall dribbling in circles he would then have one of the easiest guys to throw lobs for on his team. If the Wiz got DJ theyíd probably be right around 5th in the East.

WestCoastSportz
05-04-2018, 05:20 PM
I'm not sure why so many people don't like Cousins. Granted, he's a bit of a head case, but when healthy, he's one of the best centers in the game if not they best. He's a willing passer but never really had much talent around him in Sacramento to pass to yet, he flirted with a couple of triple doubles. Washington would be the right situation for him, not to mention that the Wizards are over the cap so they can't sign him unless it was in a sign and trade deal.

ewing
05-04-2018, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure why so many people don't like Cousins. Granted, he's a bit of a head case, but when healthy, he's one of the best centers in the game if not they best. He's a willing passer but never really had much talent around him in Sacramento to pass to yet, he flirted with a couple of triple doubles. Washington would be the right situation for him, not to mention that the Wizards are over the cap so they can't sign him unless it was in a sign and trade deal.

Bc I donít think those things are true. He isnít the best center and he is not a willing passer. He racks up assists bc he is talented and totally over dribbles and holds the ball too long. If he let Jrue and Rando handle while he focused on moving without the ball/setting screens and finishing everyone would be better off

beasted86
05-05-2018, 08:34 PM
Racking up assists and/or being a good passer has nothing to do with being a willing passer.

I agree with others who've said he is willing.

He is not a black hole who tries to get his FGAs in at all costs like a Whiteside or Randolph guys who think any shot within 10 feet is a good shot.

Cousins is a willing passer. Yes he tries to do to much and is too ball dominant at times.... But so is his teammate Rondo who hunts for assists.

ewing
05-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Racking up assists and/or being a good passer has nothing to do with being a willing passer.

I agree with others who've said he is willing.

He is not a black hole who tries to get his FGAs in at all costs like a Whiteside or Randolph guys who think any shot within 10 feet is a good shot.

Cousins is a willing passer. Yes he tries to do to much and is too ball dominant at times.... But so is his teammate Rondo who hunts for assists.

Rando is the man