PDA

View Full Version : Last two minute report: Cavs/Pacers game 5

JasonJohnHorn
04-26-2018, 11:29 PM
Here's the report:

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/04/L2M-IND-CLE-04-25-2018.pdf

So Oladipa and Lance are taking issue with the non-call (it appears to be a goal-tend, but was a reasonable no-call given how difficult it is to even see that after several slow-motion replays at different angles.

However, what headlines seems to be observing (though fans in forums have noted) is that the Pacers shouldn't have even had possession of the ball. They were, according to the last two minute report, incorrectly awards the ball on the out-of-bounds play.

At the end of the day, the officials essentially evened out their mistake, and even had Oladipa been awarded 2 points, the Cavs won by three and LBJ hit a killer game-winning shot.

In my mind, wheneven you don't have the game put away with two minutes to go, you've not done your job. You are putting the game in the hands of the other team and the officials. If you want to beat a team, really beat them, then have to have the game sealed up before that final two minutes.

If you don't, you've failed, and you run the risk of having a bad call spoil a potentially winning effort. You have to be prepared for potentiall bad calls becaue there is always room for error.

It is different if the officials are hammering you all game and take out key plays due to foul toruble early on silly calls, but in something like this, there is no need for players to be complaining. It's just excuses at that point.

Thoughts?

FlashBolt
04-27-2018, 12:23 AM
If we play the, they missed Z call but before that, they missed Y call, we can stretch it back to the beginning of the game. I hate when the league reviews these plays. The game ended and refs will continue making these mistakes. In close games like these, the league needs to allow for both teams to have one opportunity to call a t/o and have a play reviewed. Possibly, the final minute of the game, coaches should be able to call a t/o and for questionable plays, that lead to a basket, have a voice. This was too big of a game to just let it slide. Pacers could very well be up 3-2 heading to game 6 right now. NBA is a tough game to ref and I let mistakes slide but it's up to the league to give coaches/teams more of a voice.

Cal827
04-27-2018, 12:32 AM
They should just let the Refs look the ability to review plays in the last minute or so of the game. It's just like when they missed the Giannis step out of bounds a few months back.

This one is miles worse as Flashbolt mentioned, cause it might have very well cost the Pacers the series if they aren't able to rebound. (Though of course Lebron could've still hit the 3, but their play call would have likely been different if they were down 2).

More-Than-Most
04-27-2018, 02:16 AM
They should just let the Refs look the ability to review plays in the last minute or so of the game. It's just like when they missed the Giannis step out of bounds a few months back.

This one is miles worse as Flashbolt mentioned, cause it might have very well cost the Pacers the series if they aren't able to rebound. (Though of course Lebron could've still hit the 3, but their play call would have likely been different if they were down 2).

what... there is no argument where it would have helped the pacers... if the refs were allowed to look they clear as day inbounds play that was awarded to the pacers would have been cavs ball so the goaltend play never happens... on top of this the goaltend play was literally so close there isnt a review possible to over turn the call on the floor.

ewing
04-27-2018, 06:41 AM
Replay sucks. Refs miss calls. It happens. I take much more issue with judgement calls that go to certain players, like the fact the LeBron is allowed to push off on his way down the lane before dribbling off his foot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R. Johnson#3
04-27-2018, 08:11 AM
These last 2 minute reports are so dumb. It’s like, “Yup, we made some mistakes but what’s done is done!”

ewing
04-27-2018, 08:36 AM
These last 2 minute reports are so dumb. It’s like, “Yup, we made some mistakes but what’s done is done!”

Agreed it’s click bait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-Leethal
04-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Didn't the refs institute the ability to review goaltending calls during the end of games? Knowing that, any super close call like that should be called a goaltend so they can review it and get it right.

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Didn't the refs institute the ability to review goaltending calls during the end of games? Knowing that, any super close call like that should be called a goaltend so they can review it and get it right.

I believe the rule is only if they called goal tend. If there is no call, then they can't review it.

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2018, 01:56 PM
If we play the, they missed Z call but before that, they missed Y call, we can stretch it back to the beginning of the game. I hate when the league reviews these plays. The game ended and refs will continue making these mistakes. In close games like these, the league needs to allow for both teams to have one opportunity to call a t/o and have a play reviewed. Possibly, the final minute of the game, coaches should be able to call a t/o and for questionable plays, that lead to a basket, have a voice. This was too big of a game to just let it slide. Pacers could very well be up 3-2 heading to game 6 right now. NBA is a tough game to ref and I let mistakes slide but it's up to the league to give coaches/teams more of a voice.

You could go back to the beginning of the game, of course, but when it is essentially the last play of the game, and you get a possession that you shouldn't have, and then complain that on that possession, which the officials gave you essentially as a bonus, that it didn't go your way and then blame the officials... well...

You gotta take the good with the bad. You can say "It's their fault they didn't get the right call after giving us a possession we shouldn't have had!"

If you take the possession, then you take the no-goaltend call with it.

I've always felt that if a team did not play well enough to put the game way before the last two minutes, then whatever happens is ther own fault. If the Cavs lost this game; it would have been on them. The Pacers lost it; it's on them.

The officials didn't decide this game: the players did.

LeBron hit a tough three after his team lost a possession that they shouldn't have had. Do you think that, had Oladipa made that shot and LBJ missed his that Oladipa would come out and say "You know what... we had no business winning that game. The officials gave us a possession that should have belonged to Cleveland."

Of course not.

Players need to take accountablilty. You lost, take ownership over that.

The reasons the Pacers lost that game is becaue Oladipa was 2-15. That is the fawking problem.

When a player who goes 2-15 complains that one call cost his team the game, I roll my eyes and think STFU. Hit shots instead of whining. I don't mean to knock him. He's played great all year and has been great for the Pacers and they are where they are becaue of what he's done.

But you do not mis 13 of 15 shots and then go into a press confernce and say "We lot becaue of the officials."

Your team lost because you put up 13 bricks.

LBJ wa 14/24 and Oladipa was 2/15. That should tell you all you need to know about why the Cavs won.

If Oladipa had finished strong at the rim, this would have been a different story. He didn't. That's on him.

tredigs
04-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Obviously the plays go differently if the first one is called out (how LeBron picked THAT to be the one time not to complain and get them to look at I'll never know), but they are not a wash. One extends a possession with a shortened clock in a half court set. The other is 2 points plain and simple. Even if the Cavs make it the Pacers would have last shot. If they miss, it's last shot for the win.

That said, who cares. The refs ****ed up. What's new. That's the 3rd game the Pacers easily could have won but didn't. That will happen when you're a team of castaways playing superior talent.