PDA

View Full Version : Worst calls in playoff history

mrblisterdundee
04-26-2018, 09:28 PM
The NBA admitted LeBron's block on Oladipo was a goaltend, costing Indiana the chance to be up 3-2 in the series at home Friday and significantly decreasing their chances of winning:

Joe Borgia, the NBA's senior vice president of replay and referee operations, told NBA TV on Wednesday night that the play was not reviewable because goaltending was not called on the court.
"In super-slow motion, you just see the ball hit the glass and maybe come off an inch, and that's when LeBron got it," Borgia said. "Like I said, once the ball touches the [backboard], defenders cannot touch it, and unfortunately James did."
- ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23327614/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-committed-goaltending-final-block-nba-says-last-two-minute-report)
Give us a top five or ten what you consider the worst calls in playoff history.
Bonus points for considering both the technical stupidity and larger impact of the calls. There could be multiple calls in the same series. I'm sure game six of Sacramento vs. Los Angeles in 2002 could get a couple entries.

Cal827
04-27-2018, 12:56 AM
1. The missed Push-off on MJ in 1998... Get @ Me Bulls Fans :laugh2:

2. Detroit/Toronto 2002 1st round. I forgot if it was game 3 or game 4, but I remember in one of those games in Toronto, A Piston got called for a foul that led to a turnover. He subsequently gave the referee the ball and went to tie his shoes (I think it was Jon Barry, but I'm not entirely sure). He got called for a technical foul for it.

3. Forgot what year it was, but it was between Orlando/Detroit. Dooling (Magic) went in for a basket, spun, collided with a teammate and chucked the ball up. They called a foul on the Pistons :laugh2:

4. 2014 Nets/Raptors. This series was pretty badly called in general, but game 7 stuck out to me. They kept calling fouls on both teams, and then basically transferring them off to other guys who weren't stars to avoid foul trouble. For example, Deron Williams committed a couple fouls on Raptors in the fourth, and instead the fouls were transferred to guys that were around the foul but had no part of it (e.g. Blatche).

5. Game 7 of the Pacers/Raptors 2016: Indiana was mounting a comeback very late, and if I recall correctly, George was going up to try to get the game to within a basket, but was hacked by Derozan or Ross. They didn't call anything, and the ball went off him and back to the Raptors.

Of course, I'm sure there's been a lot worse (Didn't Nash get his nose broken without a foul?), but I'm just going based of what I remember seeing (hence why it's full of Raptors crap :laugh2: )

Edit: Tried to avoid the Lakers-Kings, and Lakers-Celtics intentionally haha

FlashBolt
04-27-2018, 01:42 AM
go through the Kings vs Lakers game 6...

ewing
04-27-2018, 06:51 AM
1. The NBA suspending everyone on the Knicks against the Heat
2. The NBA suspending everyone on the Suns.
3. Zach Randolph’s “punch” suspension
4. I remember a Ron Artest blocked shot that was called a flagrant and then they made it worse by giving him a tech
5. Wade winning the NBA finals on the foul line

- all of these are the result of league meddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinylman
04-27-2018, 08:13 AM
4. I remember a Ron Artest blocked shot that was called a flagrant and then they made it worse by giving him a tech

This

easily the most egregious intervention of the league in finals history

Alayla
04-27-2018, 08:28 AM
go through the Kings vs Lakers game 6...

This

GoferKing_
04-27-2018, 12:22 PM
Yep, see Kings vs Lakers 2002. Worst shiet ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPl_vgWbjSM

Just a taste.

JasonJohnHorn
04-27-2018, 01:44 PM

I wa frustrated by the supensions of those players on the Knicks and Suns; however, the league has clear rules set out, and they followed them by the letter. I get why the players did it; I get why the league did what they did. I wouldn't say either was technically 'wrong' (by the letter), but they were frustrating.

Everything else is spot on, especially the Wade/Heat finals. Argh!

bootsy
04-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Larry Johnson's 4 point play.

Jeffy25
04-27-2018, 02:04 PM
The NBA admitted LeBron's block on Oladipo was a goaltend, costing Indiana the chance to be up 3-2 in the series at home Friday and significantly decreasing their chances of winning:

Give us a top five or ten what you consider the worst calls in playoff history.
Bonus points for considering both the technical stupidity and larger impact of the calls. There could be multiple calls in the same series. I'm sure game six of Sacramento vs. Los Angeles in 2002 could get a couple entries.

But didn't they get the call wrong on the ball out of bounds prior to that even gave the Pacers the ball?

The Kings/Lakers series is the first to come to mind.

kdspurman
04-27-2018, 02:22 PM
This was one of the worst officiated playoff Spurs games I've ever seen. It was pretty blatant too... I remember being infuriated watching that, but I think it was obvious why it went down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjxFgXse5oo&t=188s

dhopisthename
04-27-2018, 02:53 PM
1. The missed Push-off on MJ in 1998... Get @ Me Bulls Fans :laugh2:

2. Detroit/Toronto 2002 1st round. I forgot if it was game 3 or game 4, but I remember in one of those games in Toronto, A Piston got called for a foul that led to a turnover. He subsequently gave the referee the ball and went to tie his shoes (I think it was Jon Barry, but I'm not entirely sure). He got called for a technical foul for it.

3. Forgot what year it was, but it was between Orlando/Detroit. Dooling (Magic) went in for a basket, spun, collided with a teammate and chucked the ball up. They called a foul on the Pistons :laugh2:

4. 2014 Nets/Raptors. This series was pretty badly called in general, but game 7 stuck out to me. They kept calling fouls on both teams, and then basically transferring them off to other guys who weren't stars to avoid foul trouble. For example, Deron Williams committed a couple fouls on Raptors in the fourth, and instead the fouls were transferred to guys that were around the foul but had no part of it (e.g. Blatche).

5. Game 7 of the Pacers/Raptors 2016: Indiana was mounting a comeback very late, and if I recall correctly, George was going up to try to get the game to within a basket, but was hacked by Derozan or Ross. They didn't call anything, and the ball went off him and back to the Raptors.

Of course, I'm sure there's been a lot worse (Didn't Nash get his nose broken without a foul?), but I'm just going based of what I remember seeing (hence why it's full of Raptors crap :laugh2: )

Edit: Tried to avoid the Lakers-Kings, and Lakers-Celtics intentionally haha

that wasn't even close to the worst call https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=25&v=gGSiEEpF3WM

they incorrectly called two plays that swung 5 points. I couldn't imagine if that happened today. well I can they would have reviewed and given it to Utah.

goingfor28
04-27-2018, 03:23 PM
The entire King Lakers game 6 is easily #1

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chronz
04-28-2018, 01:29 AM
Paul George rolling in his grave right now