PDA

View Full Version : What team would the Blazers have beaten, is it time for major change?

Chronz
04-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Just as a warning, I 'll be starting this series when any decent team loses in the loffs. Who would they have beaten and is it time to blow it up or make any major decision in the direction of the team?

With regards to the Blazers, I cant help but shake the feeling that they were the true 8th seed in this conference, just that they overachieved by enough of a margin to catapault up the seedings in what was the tighest playoff race in recent memory. Statistically , their efficiency differentials only topped 2 teams in the West, a T'wolves team that was posting superior numbers when completely healthy and the team that just whooped them silly, tho the Pels have been a vastly improved team with the addition of Mirotic and possibly the subtraction of a plodding me first center. Added to that, I just dont think they're that talented and most of their success in the regular season is attributable to dynamics that dont vibe well in the Loffs. Nurkic for instance, reminds me alot of Kanter in how hes a ridiculously productive in the RS but easily exploited in a playoff setting, combined with an undersized backcourt and its easy to see how teams could abuse the matchups game

Maybe Im wrong, maybe their young wings develop but I would look to move on from CJ and/or Nurkic. Potential targets could be Whiteside maybe Beal if they suffer a similar fate in their series. Their weaknesses have been made clear over the years, reminds me of my Clips when we just kept trying to patch up the swing spots with old has beens. Tho maybe they just need that 1 key role player that glues everything together to at least take that next step right below the true contender(GS). Doc thought if the Clips had gotten Mbah-Moute sooner that we would have had a chance.

warfelg
04-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Yes it is time for a change.

As I stated elsewhere: Start with McCollum for Gasol. Straight up. Memphis should be in position to draft their big of the future, and could use some outside firepower. Lillard needs a running mate who is a big, not another wing. This will also let you get away with using a smaller PF as opposed to a bigger one.

In a 'bad contract' swap, I would ship out Evan Turner for Fournier. Attach a protected second to the deal to make it happen.

Find a way, any way, even if you have to do your 2018 1st and 2020 1st; Meyers Leonard and picks for a S&T of Avery Bradley.

Lillard
Bradley
Harkless
Aminu
Gasol

Still got Fournier and Collins on the bench. I'm sure at that point they could make some magic cap stuff to happen to open up space to bring in a mid level FA.

Heediot
04-22-2018, 12:28 PM

As I stated elsewhere: Start with McCollum for Gasol. Straight up. Memphis should be in position to draft their big of the future, and could use some outside firepower. Lillard needs a running mate who is a big, not another wing. This will also let you get away with using a smaller PF as opposed to a bigger one.

In a 'bad contract' swap, I would ship out Evan Turner for Fournier. Attach a protected second to the deal to make it happen.

Find a way, any way, even if you have to do your 2018 1st and 2020 1st; Meyers Leonard and picks for a S&T of Avery Bradley.

Lillard
Bradley
Harkless
Aminu
Gasol

Still got Fournier and Collins on the bench. I'm sure at that point they could make some magic cap stuff to happen to open up space to bring in a mid level FA.

What's the deal with the cba? Are you allowed S & T's still, like say the example you mentioned? I thought they wanted to get rid of certain kinds of sign and trades.

GREATNESS ONE
04-22-2018, 12:34 PM
I agree about teaming Lillard up with a legit big but not an old one like Gasol... how about just accepting who you are and consider trading Lillard... for a HUGE HAUL.

warfelg
04-22-2018, 12:38 PM
What's the deal with the cba? Are you allowed S & T's still, like say the example you mentioned? I thought they wanted to get rid of certain kinds of sign and trades.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/05/why-nba-sign-and-trades-are-rare.html

You can, but the salary matching is more difficult. This is one thing that I hate the NBA CBA basically neutered the ability to make moves like this. But if you're creative, signing Bradley for less than the max, and sending back more than you are getting, you can make it work.

warfelg
04-22-2018, 12:39 PM
I agree about teaming Lillard up with a legit big but not an old one like Gasol... how about just accepting who you are and consider trading Lillard... for a HUGE HAUL.

You aren't getting a huge haul for Lillard though. Keep the more valuable (and frankly better) player and make everyone that doesn't fit with him available.

hugepatsfan
04-22-2018, 12:43 PM

Lillard
Bradley
Harkless
Aminu
Gasol

I like this a lot.

I think McCollum has more value than Gasol so I think they could get a little more. Maybe something like add in a JaMychal Green for Meyers Leonard swap. Better contract and fit since he's a 4 and they have Gasol/Collins at the 5.

I really like the Bradley idea too. I had Leonard moved in the deal above though. I think Aminu or Harkless would work better though for LAC anyway.

I also bet they could S&T Nurkic for something too.

GREATNESS ONE
04-22-2018, 12:44 PM
You aren't getting a huge haul for Lillard though. Keep the more valuable (and frankly better) player and make everyone that doesn't fit with him available.

Yea maybe youíre right, I just wonder what a team like Milwaukee would give to team up Giannis/Lillard. I donít know Portlandís cap situation without looking it up but what if they go after BOogie?

warfelg
04-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Yea maybe youíre right, I just wonder what a team like Milwaukee would give to team up Giannis/Lillard. I donít know Portlandís cap situation without looking it up but what if they go after BOogie?

They are right at the cap and would need to pull off a water-to-wine to make that happen.

IndyRealist
04-22-2018, 02:56 PM
I'll take a look at their cap situation when I have access to a spreadsheet, but from memory I think it's McCollum and Turner that have to go. CJ feels redundant with Lillard and Turner has been a weak link everywhere he's gone. If they could move Nurkic for value, I'd start Ed Davis in the interim, who I've always been a fan of. Depth is also a weakess of theirs.

Moving McCollum, Nurkic, and Turner should be enough to bring in a couple of wings and a whole new bench, if Davis starts.

warfelg
04-22-2018, 03:13 PM
I'll take a look at their cap situation when I have access to a spreadsheet, but from memory I think it's McCollum and Turner that have to go. CJ feels redundant with Lillard and Turner has been a weak link everywhere he's gone. If they could move Nurkic for value, I'd start Ed Davis in the interim, who I've always been a fan of. Depth is also a weakess of theirs.

Moving McCollum, Nurkic, and Turner should be enough to bring in a couple of wings and a whole new bench, if Davis starts.

Nurkic is a RFA this year.

Chronz
04-22-2018, 03:14 PM
So we're in agreement here, they wouldn't have beaten any other playoff team?

AllBall
04-22-2018, 03:31 PM

Jazz, Spurs, Wolves and Nuggets if they would have gotten in. The West is an arms race though, not sure what they can do.

IndyRealist
04-22-2018, 03:51 PM

In retrospect they were a flawed team. I don't know that you could tell that prior to the playoffs. New Orleans looks weak too, they're riding AD hard. It could just be the two weakest teams in the West playoffs got matched up.

flea
04-22-2018, 03:57 PM
There's no way the Griz trade Gasol straight up for McCollum. Gasol is a top 5 center, McCollum isn't close to being a top 5 SG. In fact he probably shouldn't play SG at all because of his size.

Also Portland might have beaten some of the lower seeded East teams, maybe the T-Wolves, but I wouldn't count on any of it. Undersized backcourt with no defensive skill, undersized frontcourt, and a center that isn't good enough to cover up all of that.

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2018, 04:34 PM
The thing with the west is that OKC and Portland both had healthy rosters: their wins essentially represent the best case scenrario for these teams.

I would say the same for the Spurs: with their playoff roster, they won as many games as they could have.

However, Utah, Minny, and New Orleans all had injuries this year and different lines-ups that played at different levels. Their current rosters, the ones they are entering the playoffs with, are their best line-ups. So teams like OKC, Portland, and Houston are all playing teams who are better than their records, and in the case of of OKC and Portland, are better than the team with homecourt advantage.

I know some may say "DMC is injured!" Yes... however... NO is playing better without him.

So Portland and OKC should lose their respective series. They are not the better teams. Especially keeping in mind that these teams are separeted by two or no games.

But that said... Portland is pulling a Denver....George Karl got as much out of those Nuggets team as he could in the regular seaosn. Stotts has done the same. It raies expecations, but it doesn't change the fact that these teams have limits, and in the playoffs, those limits will be exploited.

Portland needs to call up NO in the offeason and see if they can't pry away DMC (I think he's a free agent though; maybe a sign-and-trade).

Lillard and DMC.... that's about all they have in terms of options.

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2018, 04:47 PM

They could have beaten the Spurs.

It's tricky because 3-8 in the West all have simialr records, but the Thunder and Portland were the only teams among those who won as many games as their talent dicates they should have won. Which is why both are falling short.

A Minny/Portland series would be interesting, as would a Portland/OCK. I think they have a good shot with either of those.

I think they are a win over the Spurs playoff roster.

TrueFan420
04-22-2018, 05:33 PM
I said it after CJ won MIP that they need to move him while his value is at it's highest. Their not a great fit together.

R. Johnson#3
04-22-2018, 06:02 PM
I don't think the Blazers would've really beaten anyone. Their best player has a knack for disappearing in the post season and he did it again this year.

If the Blazers ever want to start thinking of a real playoff run it's time to cut ties with Lillard or acquire a big piece to help him. Unfortunately for the Blazers they don't have a whole lot outside of CJ to offer so maybe look to deal Lillard for a big return. Lillard has shown he can carry a team through the regular season but that's about it.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-22-2018, 06:09 PM
They should try to make a trade and hope that the effects are greater than the value traded.

They are a good team but not contending team. Probably lower seeds most of the time the next few years.

Westbrook36
04-22-2018, 07:44 PM
They blew any opportunity for a chance to be a high seed in the west with giving out these contacts. You aren't going to be able to move Evan Turner, Leonard, or Harkless easily. If they played it right they could have moved CJ in a deal to acquire someone who would compliment Lillard (Jimmy Buckets?). Then still have flexibility to try to bring in another star or fill out the rest of the roster via cap..now they've used it all up on subpar talent. Nurkic is solid, but he's slow footed for the uptempo offense and he's RFA ready for a deal.

Evan Turner $17,131,148 (2 years left after this year)
Maurice Harkless $9,662,921 (2 years left after this year)
Meyers Leonard $9,904,494 (2 years left after this year)
Al-Farouq Aminu $7,319,035
Ed David $6,352,531

Raps18-19 Champ
04-22-2018, 10:31 PM
If I was them, I would've tried to swing for Dwight Howard. Just as one of those things were you say screw it even though Dwight hasn't been too great the past few years.

valade16
04-23-2018, 08:27 AM
With the way they played? They wouldnít have beat any West playoff teams. Their advanced team #ís said they were closer to the 8th seed than the 3rd seed, and we obviously overachieved in the regular season.

The team is financially boxed in, either they go all-in (again) and re-sign Nurkic or they donít match another teamís offer and start the rebuild.

crewfan13
04-23-2018, 10:26 AM
As a bucks fan, I would wonder if the bucks and blazers could work something out. The bucks are flush with wing/forward types and weak at guard. The blazers have two lead guards who donít work all that well together, at least in the playoffs. Not sure what a potential deal would look like though. I would think if the bucks were to include middleton, they would need lillard. But not sure what McCollum would go for. I suppose it would depend on the bucks resigning Jabari and if the blazers would even be interested. Something built around Parker and McCollum would be the best I could come up with. Perhaps something like Bledsoe (expiring) and Leonard would be included to even out contracts more.

warfelg
04-23-2018, 11:38 AM
Are you trying to insinuate that Middleton should be a centerpiece for Lillard?!?

It would take him and some for McCollum.

Chronz
04-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Are you trying to insinuate that Middleton should be a centerpiece for Lillard?!?

My thoughts exactly. You ain't getting dame that easily. Middleton would fetch cj and even then it'sa toss up and I love Middleton

Still imagine the lineup
Bledsoe
Cj
Brogs
Jabs
Gianiss

warfelg
04-23-2018, 12:57 PM
My thoughts exactly. You ain't getting dame that easily. Middleton would fetch cj and even then it'sa toss up and I love Middleton

Still imagine the lineup
Bledsoe
Cj
Brogs
Jabs
Gianiss

I would kick Bledsoe to the bench at a 6th man, put CJ as the "PG", find a way to get a FA SG this offseason, let Giannis ball handle, and start Thon.

CJ - Bledsoe - Brogdon
FA - Brogdon
Snell - Brown - FA
Giannis - Parker
Maker - Henson

Vee-Rex
04-23-2018, 01:11 PM
I'd love to get McCollum on the Cavs somehow. He's from Northeast Ohio and loves his hometown, and has been very vocal about it (including on twitter). He grew up a Cavs and Browns fan.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a good trade, though. The salaries don't line up as well as one would hope. Right now our "best" assets are the Nets pick, Cedi Osman, and Ante Zizic. I think Osman has decent value and would be sought after in a trade.

But if Portland is looking to just re-tool instead of rebuild (which is the likely scenario), then there's not much the Cavs could really offer. I'd trade Kevin Love but I don't think Portland would do that.

crewfan13
04-23-2018, 01:12 PM

They are the same age. McCollum average 1 pt more per game this year. Middleton averaged more rebounds, assists and steals. Middleton had a better true shooting percentage. Middleton had more win shares and a better PER. Itís all fairy close, but if Iím the bucks, Iím not doing Middleton for McCollum.

Chronz
04-23-2018, 01:43 PM
I would kick Bledsoe to the bench at a 6th man, put CJ as the "PG", find a way to get a FA SG this offseason, let Giannis ball handle, and start Thon.

CJ - Bledsoe - Brogdon
FA - Brogdon
Snell - Brown - FA
Giannis - Parker
Maker - Henson

Yeah cj is the perfect compliment for giannis. Sorta what mo William's was for lebron only supercharged

warfelg
04-23-2018, 03:07 PM
They are the same age. McCollum average 1 pt more per game this year. Middleton averaged more rebounds, assists and steals. Middleton had a better true shooting percentage. Middleton had more win shares and a better PER. Itís all fairy close, but if Iím the bucks, Iím not doing Middleton for McCollum.

It's ok the Blazers are saying no to that anyways.

warfelg
04-23-2018, 03:10 PM
I'd love to get McCollum on the Cavs somehow. He's from Northeast Ohio and loves his hometown, and has been very vocal about it (including on twitter). He grew up a Cavs and Browns fan.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a good trade, though. The salaries don't line up as well as one would hope. Right now our "best" assets are the Nets pick, Cedi Osman, and Ante Zizic. I think Osman has decent value and would be sought after in a trade.

But if Portland is looking to just re-tool instead of rebuild (which is the likely scenario), then there's not much the Cavs could really offer. I'd trade Kevin Love but I don't think Portland would do that.

Would be interesting if Portland has interest in KLove.

CJ McCollum, Georgios Papagiannis for Kevin Love, Cedi Osman, Ante Zizic. Salaries work, Portland gets a good spot up shooter to put with Lillard, they can retain Nurkic to give Love some help down low.

warfelg
04-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Yeah cj is the perfect compliment for giannis. Sorta what mo William's was for lebron only supercharged

Oh heck yea.

I also know that some of CJ's detractors have had problems with his defense. I always come to he's 6'3" playing the 2 spot. He's undersized especially when he's playing guys like Klay, Butler/Wiggins, Harden. Getting him on a team where offensively he can be the on/off ball guy and not the only ball handler, while defensively being able to take the PG's would be something that actually benefits him on that side of the floor quite a bit.

That plan for my from Milwaukee's side all hinges on being able to get a 3-n-D 2-guard out there with that unit.

BGeer091
04-23-2018, 03:20 PM
I just think the Blazers were irresponsibly built. Portland is my 2nd favorite team behind the Knicks, and I always feel like they get to a point where they are one or two moves from contention, and they screw it up and take steps backwards.

I think I would get a feel for what type of market Lillard, and McCollum have. While I would try not to trade both, i'd consider it if both return a very good haul. The issue truly is they have a few big contracts on the books that are holding them back from improving IMO.

I feel like outside of Lillard and McCollum they only have one potential building block and that is Zach Collins.

WestCoastSportz
04-23-2018, 04:09 PM
The Blazers are a team that is easy to defend because there is way too much isolation plays. Too often was it Lillard or McCollum bringing the ball up, over dribbling then hoisting up a shot. With those two, they aren't a good passing team. Both are undersized shooting guards that aren't good defenders. Rondo has 17 assists in Game 1 which matched what the Blazers had as a team. Its no surprise that the Blazers were dead last in assists per game during the regular season. They need to get rid of one of those guys for them get much better. A trade that would make too much sense would be CJ McCollum to the Cavaliers for Kevin Love. McCollum is an Ohio Native and Love spent a lot of time in Oregon. Lillard, Turner, Harkless, Love and Nurkic is a group that can move the ball a little better. Tuner would be more of the point guard in that line up. The Cavs aren't exactly utilizing Love's talents and they need another scorer in Cleveland.

Laker Legend42
04-23-2018, 04:22 PM
The blazers basically start two point guards who are about the same size and no dominant wing players. I donít think they would have beaten anyone in the first round. If they donít trade on cj it will be close to impossible to move that junk roster that they overpaid for.

mrblisterdundee
04-23-2018, 05:06 PM
I never thought Portland could contend with Lillard and McCollum starting in the back court. They're both great albeit undersized combo guards who overlap in their strengths and weaknesses. I think McCollum would be better-suited in a role similar to Lillard's.
Portland needs a bigger wing who's elite on defense. It's especially frustrating how perfect guys like Kawhi, Jimmy and George would fit with Portland, considering none of them would ever probably consider signing long-term there.
I'd love if there was some way to get Brown from the Celtics. He'd be perfect for Portland and seems like the lowest in the totem pole that is Boston's embarrassment of riches on the wings. Even Hayward would be great, if Boston felt they could live without him with the emergence of their young guys. Maybe there's a trade around McCollum and Hayward, if Kyrie doesn't come back to his old level.

mrblisterdundee
04-23-2018, 05:18 PM
My thoughts exactly. You ain't getting dame that easily. Middleton would fetch cj and even then it's a toss up and I love Middleton

C.J. would be great as a score-first point guard taking playmaking pressure off Giannis. But Middleton alone isn't getting it done. Blazer fans would probably hate me for this, but I'd consider Middleton and Snell for C.J.
Portland gets some badly needed length on the wing with some good contracts.
Milwaukee gets a legitimate second option next to Giannis. Jettison Bledsoe and focus on re-signing Brogdon, who's big enough to help cover for some of C.J.'s deficiencies can can still spread the floor.

mrblisterdundee
04-23-2018, 06:16 PM

Fournier isn't a star, but he's four years younger and demonstrably better than Turner. I doubt Orlando does that trade for a second-rounder ó maybe for a heavily protected late first-rounder.
Memphis's starting back court would be 6'2" on average if they traded Gasol for McCollum ó Portland's would be about a half-inch taller. Although Conley and Bradley are way better defensively than either Lillard or McCollum, I don't see how sticking with a tiny back court works for either team.

crewfan13
04-23-2018, 06:29 PM
Would be interesting if Portland has interest in KLove.

CJ McCollum, Georgios Papagiannis for Kevin Love, Cedi Osman, Ante Zizic. Salaries work, Portland gets a good spot up shooter to put with Lillard, they can retain Nurkic to give Love some help down low.

I for the life of me couldnít understand why love would be enough to get McCollum but middleton isnít. I donít mind love as a player, but heís really not that great.

WestCoastSportz
04-23-2018, 06:50 PM
I for the life of me couldnít understand why love would be enough to get McCollum but middleton isnít. I donít mind love as a player, but heís really not that great.

Love really isn't that great in Cleveland, because he just doesn't get the touches. Don't forget that he was a 20 point, 10 rebound guy before going to Cleveland. He went from averaging 26.1 points in his last year in Minnesota to 16 points per game in his first year with the Cavs. He's just not a good fit with Lebron and I'm not sure many players are. He ran Kyrie out of town along with a few coaches. I think Love could use the change of scenery. He's 29 years old and should be in the prime of his career.

crewfan13
04-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Typical nba again curve (and I think itís beem discussed on here) is peak at about 26. Very slight decline to flat level of play from 26-30. Decline ramps up a little at 30-32 then major declines start at 33.

Assuming love follows that, he has 1 ďprimeĒ year left. So expecting him to return to Minnesota form is probably unwise, especially since he was basically option 1, 2 and 3 in minn. And heíll be a number 2 in Portland.

Compare that to middleton, who played his age 26 season this year who should have 3-4 prime years left. And middleton is a really good player. The only guys in the nba to average at least 20 pts, 5 boards, 4 assists and 1.5 steals were harden, Giannis, Steph, boogie, Russ, Oladipo, butler and middleton. I get thatís cherry picking stats some, but thatís still pretty good company.

mrblisterdundee
04-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Love really isn't that great in Cleveland, because he just doesn't get the touches. Don't forget that he was a 20 point, 10 rebound guy before going to Cleveland. He went from averaging 26.1 points in his last year in Minnesota to 16 points per game in his first year with the Cavs. He's just not a good fit with Lebron and I'm not sure many players are. He ran Kyrie out of town along with a few coaches. I think Love could use the change of scenery. He's 29 years old and should be in the prime of his career.

Love would be a great fit in Utah as a second option and veteran influence. If only the Cavaliers could have figured out a trade earlier before Favors became an unrestricted free agent. He would have been a good fit with the Cavaliers as a small-ball five, along with a guard or two to increase the Cavs' depth ó maybe throw them Exum as a nod to the future.

WestCoastSportz
04-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Granted that Love played on a Wolves team that wasn't that good, but the offense ran through him. He averaged 4.4 assists in his final year in Minnesota, who didn't have many offensive options. Its also why he was able to put up monster numbers. Kevin Durant, in his final season with the Thunder averaged 28 points per game. In his first season with the Warriors, he averaged 25. Not a huge difference and definitely not a 10 points per game difference as with Love.

We know that there isn't really a coach in Cleveland except for Lebron. Lebron has ran off any player that could help like Irving, Crowder and Thomas. He alienated Love from the start. Publicly calling him out on a few occasions. Lebron is just a diva, plain and simple. He doesn't want anyone going into his town and stealing his limelight.

smith&wesson
04-24-2018, 02:35 PM

None. Itís time for a rebuild. The blazers should have tried harder to make the Aldridge/Lillard pairing work and find the right role players to compliment them.

Rivera
04-24-2018, 03:17 PM
to bad LMA didnt stay

I do think they could have beaten the TWolves or Spurs this year though

mrblisterdundee
04-24-2018, 04:08 PM
None. Itís time for a rebuild. The blazers should have tried harder to make the Aldridge/Lillard pairing work and find the right role players to compliment them.

Aldridge seemed to resent Lillard being the face of the time. Maybe he thought it was his turn, having outlasted Roy.

zn23
04-24-2018, 07:02 PM
They showed who they really are against the Pelicans. If anything, they overachieved this year because of a ridiculous run by Lillard in March and April. But they came back down to earth.

As I said before, the 2016 splurge has really handicapped this team. When you're paying Turner, Harkless and Leonard $39M combined, On top of $54M for CJ and Lillard, it's a recipe for disaster. Plus Nurk's contract is coming up and he's going to be looking for at least $15-20M. They can't unload any of those bad contracts and thus can't sign anyone.

They're in an unenviable position.

tredigs
04-24-2018, 08:56 PM
In retrospect they were a flawed team. I don't know that you could tell that prior to the playoffs. New Orleans looks weak too, they're riding AD hard. It could just be the two weakest teams in the West playoffs got matched up.

What in the world? Mirotic, Jrue and Rondo were all incredible. Jrue had a borderline All NBA season. They have a strong case as the 3rd best team in the West playoffs along with Utah, and could very well be better than every team in the East.